Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southerncharm1_gw

NEW: Incredible Edibles August *Good Grillin' * Sign ups.

southerncharm1
15 years ago

OH MY! Good Grillin'!

Don't you just love swaps with a twist!!! Our very first swap that will include a favorite recipe!

Sign ups will be from now until July 20th. I will post partners on the 24th of July. Please have your packages in the mail by the 8th of August! :)

We will be swapping seeds and recipes for grilling, side dishes, deserts or drink recipes! Use your recipe to pick seeds so your partner can create it from their garden. The recipe must be something you would cook on the grill or eat/drink at a pinic, cook out, etc. Can be anything from Main course all the way down to deserts and drinks.

You can also send any items you would use for grilling, side dishes, deserts or drinks.

For example: bamboo skewers, corn cob holders, favorite seasoning, box of farovite teas or cool drink mix, those hand powered paper fans!, fly swatters, reuseable fruit shaped ice cubes, bug repellant! lol etc..) Anything that is in seed price range so you don't have to go overboard. (Dollar Stores are AWESOME for neat summer finds!)

For those that live in a cooler area, you can send your partner live plants, cuttings, etc. if you want. It's too hot in my area so I won't be able to do this until it cools down significantly.

I hope you all will like this one, after all our hard work in the garden it's time to sit down and enjoy it!

That is, after the grilling is finished! :)

Comments (38)

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Don't forget to sign me up :)!!!

• iheartroscoe
    15 years ago

One question...is this swap for new seed packets or can the packets be opened?

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have plenty of opened seeds myself and wouldn't mind sharing. I don't see a problem with it being from opened packets. If you have it feel free to share it. :)

Signed up

Sunnyk - aka Mrs. October or Donna. :)
    Micyrey-Michelle

• amybabyboy3
    15 years ago

I want to join for August also. Thanks, Amy

• iheartroscoe
    15 years ago

I'll join!

• daphne16
    15 years ago

Count me in on this one too. It sounds like lots of fun.
    Daphne

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for signing up! Hope we'll have lots more by the end of sign ups!!! :)

Sunnyk-Donna
    Micyrey-Michelle
    Amybabyboy3-Amy
    Iheartroscoe-Heather
    Daphne16-Daphne

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Also, Jeanne (sandlapperrose) has brought up some very important things concerning everyone in this group. If you could just pop over to the Incredible Edibles Events Calendar and check it out that would be great! :) Everyones feedback is important!!! :)

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Lurking, lurking, lurking! I can't fully commit yet. Is it bad that I already have the recipes picked out if I do participate?!

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Hi, you can count me in! Christy

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So far I have signed up:

Southerncharm1/Kathy
    Sunnyk-Donna
    Micyrey-Michelle
    Amybabyboy3-Amy
    Iheartroscoe-Heather
    Daphne16-Daphne
    Bonechickchris/Christy

Hope you all have a wonderful 4th of July, stay safe but have LOTS of fun!!! :)

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh come on booberry! LOL You know you wanna... :) I don't think it's bad that you already have a recipe lined up! Just shows that you really are FULL OF IT! LOL

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Well, when you put it that way, how came I refuse? LOL! Sign me up!

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

I already have a recipe lined up....and some of the seeds that can be used in it ROTFLMBO!!

I am so glad there is a place like this for people like me =D

You guys are the best!!

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sunnyk, awesome! You guys are just on top of the situation! I'm still deciding on which one I want to use. So many yummy ideas, so little time! LOL

Booberry, I put you down, cause I feel the LUUUUV! ROFL
    (Everytime I see your name I think of this episode of Icarly the kids watch where the chef calls blueberry muffins, blooburry moofins! ROFL Too darn cute!)

How is everyones gardens doing? Mine is looking kinda pitiful with all the heat and rain we've had. We have Tomatoes, all kinds of beans, cucumbers, squash, zucchini, broccoli, carrots, watermelons, 1 pumpkin plant (can you tell I didn't read up on that one? LOL), carnival peppers, hot cherry peppers, cantelope, and we did have a bunch of sweet onions but they have just vanished in thin air. UGH!! I have yet to find the culprit!!! lol We also have lots of herbs that are doing great, I'm debating on murdering the spearmint plant cause it just stinks, literally.

So where is everyone? I hope you all had a great holiday! We had a little cook out with my in laws and shot off some fireworks. It was so relaxing! We didn't fight the traffic or get eaten alive by the mesquitos this year! Too much smoke in the yard I suppose. HAHAHA!

Kathy :)

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Hello Kathy & All the Incredible Edible People!

We had a great 4th of July here. My nephew graduated from high school. He had his graduation party this weekend. My inlaws have a place right on the water. It was perfect weather. They even got me playing volley ball. First time in.......many years. I didn't even hurt anything! A great time had by all.

We are finally getting some heat & humidity here. I'm hoping it'll vault the tomatoes, peppers, eggplants & melons into a big growth & production spurt. In the meantime, I've been harvesting pea pods, broccoli, and lettuce (LOTS of lettuce.)

Just had a computer glich! I'll post this before it happens again.

Becky

• gardenkitteh
    15 years ago

I am in this one.

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Wow, SouthernCharm, your garden sounds fabulous!!

I am with Boo though, I am hoping the humidity of late puts my Tomatoes and Peppers and Tomatillos , Squash and Zuchs, Beans and Edamames into full gear...I am also hoping that my pathetic Eggplants that were ravished by Flea Beetles early on , will make a spectacular comeback.

And again like Boo, I have been mainly harvesting Snow Pea Pods...I cant seem to grow lettuce tho LOL. Oh and the Blackcaps are doing great this year for the first time...I guess they liked the cold start to the season.

Cant wait to start tthe new Swap !!!!

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I added you to the list Gardenkitteh! :)

So far we have:

Southerncharm1-Kathy
    Sunnyk-Donna
    Micyrey-Michelle
    Amybabyboy3-Amy
    Iheartroscoe-Heather
    Daphne16-Daphne
    Bonechickchris-Christy
    Booberry-Becky
    Gardenkitteh

Sounds like you two have great gardens going too!

Sunny, I'll cross my fingers for your Eggplants to make a full recovery. My tomatoes seem to be taking forever! I tried talking to them but they are just taking their sweet time about things! :D

Becky, congrats to your nephew! I'm glad you had a great holiday too and didn't hurt yourself! :D Don't feel too bad about the lettuce, mine didn't even sprout! LOL Good thing though, the melons have taken over it's spot.

I'm getting very excited about the swap too, I can't wait to hear all the great recipes everyone gets!

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I had a chance to hunt around for seeds around lunch time. Slim pickings out there. I found a few other things that people may want at a summer barbeque / picnic.

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I lucked up a couple weekends ago, my hubby and I were out searching Lowe's for carpet. I think we ended up going to 5 of them! LOL I found lots of seeds! So now my box is some what packed full! :D Donnie even bought himself a cherry tomato plant that he says is completely off limits to me, I said ok. But who do you think has been taking care of it? ME!!! ROFLMBO

We're finally getting a night to ourselves! Donnie told me it's my choice what we do, so I'm still thinking about what I'd like to do tonight that is inexpensive. LOL

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

May I make a suggestion? Now that it is so late in the season, there really are not many seeds left out in the stores. However, you can still order from mail catalogs or the company's online store, even Ebay if you do not have any catalogs.
    I did mail order in my last trade and the prices where the same as the store only with a way larger selection and variety. Plus most places make you pay only one small shipping fee or you pay for the first seed shipping and free for additional packets. To me the extra couple bucks for shipping is worth it, for the extensive variety and not having to go to the crowed stores!
    I just thought I would mention this. It made my last trade so much more fun! Christy
    PS~ I will having foot surgery August 13th so I just wanted to know the dates for the Good Grillin swap to make sure I get my seeds out before then. Thanks! Christy

• iheartroscoe
    15 years ago

I bought my seeds for the last trade online, also. There wasn't much left in the stores here, but online there is everything! :)

I'll probably do the same thing for this swap.

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What company do you all use to order seeds? I've seen some pretty expensive seeds online and I've also found some very low priced good quality places too. I used watersuntogether the last time I ordered seeds, got them in 2 business days!

Christy, Sign ups will be from now until July 20th. I will post partners on the 24th of July. Please have your packages in the mail by the 8th of August! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Water Sun Together website

• iheartroscoe
    15 years ago

I get my seeds from a few different places, but I use Baker Creek Heirlooms and Fedco Seeds the most. They are both very reasonably priced and both are great companies.

• booberry85
    15 years ago

A few places I like to get seeds are:

Baker Creek Heirloom (great minds....!)
    Sandhill Preservation
    Seed Saver Exchange
    Value Seeds (It's Thompson & Morgan's clearing house. Great prices. Watch the # of seeds though)
    Pinetree Seeds
    Territorial Seeds
    Johnny's Select Seeds

Yeah, I'm a seed addict!

I've read good things about Fedco, but have never ordered from them.

Garden Watchdog is a great site to check out various seed & gardening companies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Watchdog

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for all the good sources for seeds! You all never cease to amaze me! :)

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anyone else interested in signing up? Sign ups are open until The 20th of July. Come on and join in on the fun and excitement!

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I just "advertised" on the exchange pages of the vegetable, tomato, hot pepper, fruit, legume & squash forums. Maybe we'll get a few more takers.

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Boo! That was a wonderful idea!!! :) I really hope we can get a few more to sign up. :) BTW, it's ok to be a seeds addict~ we'll just have to start a group called Seed Addicts Anonymous! LOL

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

Hi, Sign me UP please! It sounds like lots of fun.

Thanks!

Nancy

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for joining us Nancy! :)

So far I have signed up:

Southerncharm1-Kathy (me)
    Sunnyk-Donna
    Micyrey-Michelle
    Amybabyboy3-Amy
    Iheartroscoe-Heather
    Daphne16-Daphne
    Bonechickchris-Christy
    Booberry-Becky
    Gardenkitteh
    Luvgardening2/Nancy

I'm getting so excited about this swap! I'm also enjoying gathering up goodies! Sign ups are still open until the 20th/Sunday, I will be posting Partners on Monday July 21st even though it's earlier than I posted originally. That should give everyone plenty of time to get their partners info to send goodies out! I really hope you all enjoy this swap!

Kathy

• iheartroscoe
    15 years ago

One more question I forgot to ask! Is there a minimum of different types of seeds we should send or is it just whatever the recipe calls for?

Thanks!

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think 3-5 packs of seeds for the recipe and maybe an accessory that compliments it should be sufficient. Like cute stir sticks if it's a drink, bamboo skewers for kabobs, corn cob holders for grilled corn, etc. :) What's really cute are those little umbrellas you put it drinks! LOL You could also just come to an agreement with your swap partner if you want to send more seeds.

Is this ok with everyone?

• iheartroscoe
    15 years ago

Sounds good! Thanks Kathy!

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Your very welcome Heather! :)

Last day for sign ups. We still have room for plenty of swappers. Post here if you'd like to join us!!!

I'll have partners paired up and posted tomorrow. Have a good day everyone! :)

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nancy/luvgardening2, could you please email me so I can have your email address for your swap partner in case it's needed. :)

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for emailing me Nancy! :)

I'm going to post a new thread on swap partners. Are you all excited? giggles...