Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hazelnutbunny

new: seeds-n-stitches july *bag it up, baby!*

hazelnutbunny
12 years ago

Welcome to Seeds n Stitches for July!

This month, we'll be making a bag. Yep, a BAG. You have your choice of either a nifty WATER BOTTLE TOTEcolor> or a SEED STORAGE ENVELOPE.color> Directions for each can be found at these places:

WATER BOTTLE TOTE: http://www.craftbits.com/project/water-bottle-tote

The group has discussed making some changes to the pattern, which includes ONE long strap (instead of 2 short ones), and also using a pre-quilted fabric for extra durability & insulation. BUT these are optional, you decide how you'd like to make yours! :) To make sure we're all on the same page, please use a standard 20oz pop bottle for your measurements. The ones given in the pattern *should* work, but please double check. :)

SEED STORAGE ENVELOPE: http://www.tacy.org/tutorials/SnackbagtutorialRevisedpdf.pdf

You may make whichever bag you'd like, but you MUST ...and this is the fun part!...fill it with something that relates to your choice.color> So, if you choose to make a water bottle, you might include some drink mixes or re-usable ice cubes. For the envelope, you might include some seeds or plant markers. You get the idea! Just be creative! Whatever you send should be able to fit inside a SMALL FLAT RATE BOX.color>

Here's our guidelines for this month:

1~ Be a GW member in GOOD STANDING (meaning no late swaps, no bad reviews!).

2~ Sign up by June 30. Partners announced July 1. Send by July 15.

3~ Pick your bag (keep it secret, we want to surprise our partners!), & fill it to your hearts content! Just make sure it'll fit inside a SMALL FLAT RATE BOX! color>

4~ HAVE FUN! :)

Remember...please keep your selection of bag or envelope A SECRET!!!color> We want to surprise the recipient! YAY for surprises!!

Comments (106)

• bev2009
    12 years ago

I just need to get to the fabric store on Tuesday. I don't anticipate any other delay. Hopefully it will sew up quickly like the directions say.

I worked on an Asian inspired print today for a wall hanging for my bedroom. I took a class in March to learn paper piecing and this was the fabric I chose. I haven't worked on it since and had to go back so the instructor could instruct me again. Got it now! However, I need to cut more pieces so I am going to quit for the day and go to the basement to start working on setting up my stained glass workshop! I'm so excited. I've only done a few pieces a couple of years ago at a studio in town that has closed down, so I had to get supplies to do it home.

So much to do, so little time.

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I haven't started yet, either! I just haven't been in the mood to sew lately...I wish I was! Got everything ready, but just can't get myself to sit down & put it together. :o:

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

Dan and Bunny, you are not alone. I need to clean my sewing room for a visit from my daughter and family of 5. We can't put them in seperate room because the baby's are only 2 and need to sleep on the floor. I was not ready for twins.
    So I'm taking the baby bed down so I have room on the floor.

I also need to make me a new clothes pin bag for the outdoor line. One of these days I going to find the pins all over the ground. Not fun!

Micyrey if you would please send me your addy. I do think I have it but will update my list.

We are having great weather this weekend and the garden is happy! Me too!

Time to build the fire for ribs. Howabout you'll come on over for dinner.

So long for now. When the bugs come out tonight maybe
    I'll make it up stairs.

gmom

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

I don't have my machine up and running either..haven't even checked out the pattern yet..guess I should, huh/..LOL!

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Ribs sounds yummy. Wish I could come. I've gardened all day and don't really feel like cooking, but I've got a bunch of carrots to use so I've been surfing for a carrot soup recipe. Think I found a winner.

Everyone have a lovely 4th.

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

Amy, I don't believe that you have my address...would you send me an email please? I tried sending one to you but I don't see one for you on your link

• amybabyboy3
    12 years ago

Linda, I sent you an email. Thank you, Amy

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, I've got my bag finished. Amy, I have an address for you, but not sure it's current. Could you email me with your address, please? My email is my GW name @hotmail.com

How's everyone coming on their bags?

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

"coughing"..oh just fine.."whistling and looking up at the ceiling"....yessiree, just fine.....

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Okay, my project just came off the sewing machine! I'm going to fill it up tomorrow night, I'm tired and need a break. Anyone want to go out for some ice cream with me?
    Dan

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Hudsonville or Sherman's, either one and I am there.

• amybabyboy3
    12 years ago

Melissa, I will email you my address. Thank you so much! Amy

I am waiting on something I ordered to finish mine but hopefully it will come quick.

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ICE CREAM!!! Yay!

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Gmom/Sharon, I just sent you an e-mail. Apparently I'm doing something wrong with your address. Help!
    -Dan

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

Dan, I sent you a new email through GW. Did you get it?

I got my project ready to go in the mail when I go to town this week.

It's hot here today and I'm really tired for some reason. I know I didn't sleep well last night. We are getting ready for a 3 day trip to Wisconson. It depends on the weather forcast as to when we leave.

Happy Gardening, Y'll!!

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Amy~ Your bag is on it's way. Going priority, so it should be there on Wednesday. Unless it takes the scenic route...which seems to happen alot lately. Then it'll be about 2 weeks. :o:

Just reminding everyone...y'all have until Friday to mail these out!
    Who is hosting next month's swap? :)

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

Micyrey-Your package is on the way.

If the next 2 months trade is simple I can play. Things are coming up and I'm beginning to panic. I need to learn how to chill out.

Any takers?

Y'll have a great day!

gmom

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Maybe charms for August? And then charms & bulbs for September? Anyone else have some suggestions?

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

I like the charms but instead of bulbs, what if we send plants from our own gardens. I just went through the trade pages and I have things in my garden for everyone but one person.
    gmom

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Sharon, your box is on its way. I sent it out yesterday afternoon.

For the August swap, Linda's got an easy idea in mind. I'll let her tell you about it though.

Everyone try to stay cool!
    Dan

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Updated list:

Gmom sends to Michelle~ SENTcolor>
    Michelle sends to Melissa
    Melissa sends to Amy~ SENTcolor>
    Amy sends to Linda
    Linda sends to Bev
    Bev sends to Dan
    Dan sends to Gmom~ SENTcolor>

Y'all please let me know when you've sent your boxes so I can update the list. Thanks!!

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I received my bags from Michelle today! She couldn't decide which to make, so she did one of both. The water bottle tote is in fun summer colors- bright seashell print & yellow coordinating fabrics (she also used a braided fabric handle! Cool!!) and the seed storage bag/envie is done in patriotic flag prints.
    Thank you, Michelle! Love them both! :)

Michelle sends to Melissa REC'Dcolor>
    Melissa sends to Amy~ SENTcolor>
    Amy sends to Linda
    Linda sends to Bev
    Bev sends to Dan
    Dan sends to Gmom~ SENTcolor>

• amybabyboy3
    12 years ago

Melissa, Thank you so much for the cute seed bag, I love it! I also love the 4 different sunflower seeds, gladiolus bulbs, celosia and apple gourd seeds. Also thank you for the cute fabric! Amy

I am still waiting for something to finish Linda's if it doesn't come soon I guess I will do something different!

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

Hi Bunny, I recieved a water bottle tote from Dan yesterday and it is very cool. Made out of recycled sweat shirt. The strap is from the ribbing. It was chucked full of all kinds of drinks. The holder is navy blue with a butterfly applicaded on it.

THANK YOU Dan!! Good job. I will not dry out for a while.

This was a great project. Thanks for thinking of it. Job well done.

gmom
    Sharon

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You're welcome, Amy! :)

Great job, Dan! :)

Melissa sends to Amy~ REC'Dcolor>
    Amy sends to Linda
    Linda sends to Bev
    Bev sends to Dan
    Dan sends to Gmom~ REC'Dcolor>

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

I'm working on mine and it should be going out tomorrow..."crossing fingers"

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Yikes! D-day and I have people coming for dinner. (If you haven't noticed by now, I am always a little late...just a day or two or just 5 or 10 minutes late to work. Fortunately, my employers have always felt I was worth that one little idiosyncrasy. I'm always willing to stay over whenever needed. I blame it on my mom. I must have been born 10 minutes late and I have never caught up.) I will try and find that one hour today to get this done and in the mail, but if not, I'm free all day tomorrow. This is the third weekend I've entertained and I am tired. I want some lazy, hazy days of summer on my porch, feet up, reading and drinking ice tea this week. And with 90's all week long, I'll probably be in air conditioning all week instead.

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    I got my water bottle bag from Gmom
    she did a great job it is evan reversable with straping handles. absolutly great
    thanks
    michelle

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

I'll have mine out on Monday, I promise! I have no excuse but poor planning, as in thinking there are more hours in the day then there are.

I will be posting the new swap as soon as I'm done watering plants...92 degrees and HUMID!!! UGH!!!

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Linda, since yours is coming to me, I can say "Relax". Next week will be fine. I ended up taking in a caterpillar to raise today. It is about ready to form a chrysalis, so I had to read up about it and get help from the butterfly forum. I wasn't planning on doing this until next year but oh well. However, I didn't get a chance to sew my project either, so it will go out on Monday as well.

If you want to kick we out of the group for being late I'll understand. But Dan, you might want to wait until you see what I am making. I think it is going to be really nice. LOL

• amybabyboy3
    12 years ago

My box went out today to Linda! Hope you enjoy! Amy

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Bev, where did THAT come from? Why would you think you were going to be kicked out of this group? My answer to that would be "HELL NO!!!", so relax. When I saw that you were going to be sending me something, Iwas as happy as a pig in mud!

Yesterday I found 16, count'em 16, quilt tops I'd forgotten all about. Today I made 2 reversible quilts out of 2 of them, and then quit. I tried finding more that were the same size, and no luck. So, I'll be heading to joann's next weekend and buying a roll or two of the batting with the backing already attached. Just think, when all is said and done, there will 14 new quilts in the house, which means I'll finally have my quilt closet. Cool, isn't it?

And Bev, I'm hoping to see you sign up for Linda's August swap. You won't believe how easy she's made it on all of us!

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Updating our list:

Gmom sends to Michelle~ REC'Dcolor>
    Amy sends to Linda~ SENTcolor>
    Linda sends to Bev
    Bev sends to Dan

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Dan, I was just afraid I wouldn't be considered a member in good standing for being late again. Glad you're so forgiving! May I ask how you lose 16 completed quilt tops in a house? LOL Mind you, I can't find several pieces of fabric my 2 daughters bought to make aprons from. I've been clearing out stuff since we moved in 6 years ago, moved way too much from are old house where we had lived for about 30 years. I didn't think there was enough stuff left to be able to lose things, but I guess I still need to organize more....right after I get your package mailed. I just finished sewing and it came out really nice. I hope you like it.

As to signing up for next month...don't tell Linda, but I will...just waiting to get your package mailed off for this month.

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

okay Bev, I have my bottle bag done, I hope you have a sense of humor..did I ever mention that I'm not the world's greatest sewer?.."whistling and looking up at the ceiling"..it will go out Tuesday because I'm going to the hospital tomorrow to sit with a friend of mine's whose husband is having hip surgery. I'm not sure what time I'll be finished. BUT it is done!..LOL!!

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

my friend's husband's surgery went well so i"m back early..got my box packed and it's going out the door with me when I go to the dentist..YAY!

• bev2009
    12 years ago

We have lift off!

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

how do you lose 16 quilt tops?
    put them into a closet you don't go into very often...lol!
    I knew there were a few of them in there, like maybe 5 or 6, but 16??? with fabric besides??? well, at least I found them, right?
    the nice thing about the fabric I found is that there are 2 blue fabrics, 1 solid and 1 pattern, that I cut into 3" wide strips. and it just so happens that the next step in my white-n-blue summer quilt is framing the center block in blues and a white. so, now I only have to cut some white on white material and get sewing! how timely was that?
    and thusly, we are led to todays vocabulary word: serendipity

Serendipity is when someone finds something that they weren't expecting to find. The word has been voted as one of the ten English words that were hardest to translate in June 2004 by a British translation company In the simplest of words, it means a "happy accident".

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oooh, I like that word, Dan! It's just fun to say...serendipity. Serendipity. SERENDIPITY! :D

Linda sends to Bev SENTcolor>
    Bev sends to Dan SENTcolor>

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

BEVERLY, THAT BOTTLE-HOLDER IS FABULOUS!!! (and how often do you hear a straight guy use that word...lol?!?!?!)

Bev sent a quilted bottle holder and used a farm/chicken themed fabric. All I could say when I opened the box was "wow". Then I said it backwards..."wow". I'll post pix as soon as I get the chance.

Dan

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Alright! We're nearly there! Yippee! :D

Linda sends to Bev SENTcolor>
    Bev sends to Dan REC'Dcolor>

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Wow Dan, I'm so glad you liked it. I was hoping you would consider the barnyard theme more masculine. LOL (Did I ever mention I thought LOL meant Lots of Laughing until my daughter rolled her eyes and corrected me...she loves to do that.)

• amybabyboy3
    12 years ago

Linda, I was wondering if you received your package yet, it seems like it should have been there by now? Amy

• bev2009
    12 years ago

I just received my package and the bottle holder is great...I was hoping for a bottle holder because I always carry water! Thanks Linda for all the goodies too.

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

Miss Amy, your box did arrive yesterday and I apologize for not posting sooner. My grandbaby just went home and I wasn't online. Anyways, Amy sent me a wonderful box. It has a bottle holder in shades of blue and off white, an awesome assortment of mixes to put in my water, a hummingbird feeder, a rose scented soap, and seeds :prairie coneflower, blazing stars, portulaca, blanket flower, purple spiderwort! Thanks so much Amy..I loved it!

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

AND I forgot to include the mary kay samples..I don't know how she fit all that in that little box!

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yay! Everyone has received their bags, so this swap is officially CLOSED! Thank y'all for a terrific swap!

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

thanks for a great swap Melissa!

• bev2009
    12 years ago

I thought it was a terrific idea Melissa, thanks for the swap!

• amybabyboy3
    12 years ago

Linda, so glad it arrived safely and you liked it. Thank you, Amy

Melissa, Thank you again for my gift, I love it and that you for hosting! Amy

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!