Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
galium_gw

June-Graphics For All

galium
16 years ago

Sassy's thread was such a success that I thought I'd start a new one for June. I have dial up and it's getting difficult to load the other thread.

We had unseasonably warm weather a few weeks ago and look what happened to my tomato plants. The stakes are about 4 1/2 feet tall. My melons have flowers all over them too.

Mariann

Comments (27)

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Hi Mariann,
    I am curious about the red plastic mulch you are using with your tomatoes. I bought some but did not use it. Have you found that it reduces insect problems and boosts yields as advertised?
    Below are a few photo's from yesterday:
    Gomphocarpus physocarpus

Shasta Daisy, Sonnenschein
    {{gwi:1280640}}

Papaver somniferum

• galium
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've had that red plastic for a few years. This is the first time I've used it. I'll just have to wait and see how it compares to the bed that doesn't have red plastic. I honestly don't know anyone else who's used it.

What unusual flowers on your Gomphocarpus (Hairy Balls). Fantastic.

Mariann

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Where are all the photo people? I would love to see some more plant photos.
    Here are a few drought survivors:

Asiatic Lily, unnamed pink

Assorted Monarda

• galium
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've missed everyone's pictures too. We've had some unusual hot weather but thankfully no drought.

Love the Monarda-mine was pretty much decimated by insects.

There are always hot air balloons flying over our house this time of year. I was able to get a pic. but unfortunately the electrical and phone wires are in the way.
    {{gwi:1280647}}

Echinacea 'Sunset'
    {{gwi:248945}}

Echinacea 'Razzmatazz'

My daughter made this Mosaic Bird Bath for my Shade Garden
    {{gwi:166229}}

Hummmm-Tomato plant update...Huge..Taken June 19th

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Oh Mariann yes, lets keep one going for everyone. Sorry I think it got lost on me or my just my mind saying bye bye!
    Great pics, love seeing them.

I've had a terrible cold or flu or something for 3 weeks now and haven't had the energy to even walk out in the heat. But I'll try to post a few new ones later. Have to take them in the early am or can't stand it, its just styfling here and hardly any rain. Seems like we never even get the afternoon thunderstorms, which if its bad weather, I'd prefer not to have them.

Thanks for the pics girls!

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Oops! I think someone sent me an email regarding this thread that went to my bulk folder. I got trigger happy and deleted it just as I was recognizing that it was not spam. Sorry! Please resend if you are so inclined.

The mosaic birdbath is beautiful!

White flowers this morning:
    Double White Brugmansia

Centaurea americana, Aloha White
    {{gwi:767233}}

Annabelle Hydrangea

White Malva, unknown cultivar

Shasta Daisy, Sunny Side Up

Asiatic Lily

• sandlapper_rose
    16 years ago

Your white flowers are stunning! Thanks for sharing the pictures. I like the white bee balm that you posted earlier, too. I knew bee balm came in white but have never seen the white variety in bloom.

• vela75
    16 years ago

Everyone's photos are beautiful! Here are my favorite flower photos from my gardens so far this season.
    Double River Wye Daylily

glads

Annual Coreopsis

azalea

Ditch Lily...can't help it, I like them!

Stella D'Oro

David Kirchoff Daylily

Fairy Tale Pink Daylily

NOID - June Bug?

Peony

Siberian Iris Caesar's Brother

Coreopsis

Another one I can't help but like...Dr. Huey

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Beautiful pictures, ladies!
    I could just walk through ya'lls gardens all day!

Those lilies are gorgeous, Poison! I love the asiatic lilies. I don't have any yet, but I sure hope that will change!
    And Vela's glads & day lilies!!! *SIGH* So pretty.....

And the BIRDBATH! How awesome is that???

Even the tomato plants are GREAT!! (I love home grown maters...nothin' better!!)

Keep the pictures comin'! I need a virtual walk...It's too rainy in my garden to get out and enjoy it!

• galium
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Keep those pictures coming. They are all wonderful.

The first thing I do in the morning is turn on my computer and look at garden photo's. They really make my day.
    Mariann

• MimiB1
    16 years ago

I LOVE ALL OF THESE WONDERFUL PICS! What beautiful flowers! I too look at GW first thing in the morning to get my "pretty posey fix". You can't help but be in a great mood after looking at all of the great things you guys have growing.

My Epiphilum had lots of buds but we had a bad storm and only one survived to bloom. It was about 8 inches across. Such an unimposing plant 90% of the time and then it produces this (which lasts only a few hours).

When my kids were growing up they fussed about helping me with the gardens but they grew up and went out into the world and the "gardening thing" sort of stuck. My youngest daughter had to have "some color" in her small space so I sent her some Zinnia and Impatience seeds and here is her first garden. Makes me proud!

• faintheart
    16 years ago

I too LOVE seeing everyone's gardens!!! I am especially appreciative this week as I injured my back early this week in the garden and am on docter's orders to stay home and do nothing. But I can take pictures! Hope you will enjoy some of my blooms (all are clickable thumbnails for larger view).
    Ratbidia (mexican hat)

Orange-red Lillium

Scabiosa (pincushion flower)

Gran Cru Lillium

Cleome

White Lillium

Hemerocallis Bella Lugosi

Hemerocallis Awesome Blossom

Hemerocallis Destined To See

Hemerocallis Seedling

Hemerocallis Seedling

Hemerocallis Seedling

Thanks for looking!!! Hope you enjoyed.
    ~Dee

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Faintheart~ I am in L-O-V-E with your Gran Cru Lillium!!! That thing is GORGEOUS!

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Vela, I love the Double River Wye Daylily! That is really special. It is such a pure clear color.
    Spectacular bloom on the Epi!
    Faintheart, I love all of your photos, but the last two daylily seedlings are my favorites. Are they your hybrids?

Odds and ends...
    Ipomopsis

Another lost tag daylily.

And another lost tag... I don't count them if I can't find the name. If anyone recognizes any of these and can refresh my memory, I will have a lot more daylilies.

Asarina mystic rose
    {{gwi:1280709}}

• vela75
    16 years ago

Ok, I too am in love with the Gran Cru Lillium. That's going on my list! I love the Awesome Blossom too!

Poison, love the color of the Ipomopsis. Sorry I can't help you name your daylilies, hope someone else might have an idea!

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Poison~~ I don't have a clue about the name of your daylilies, but they are VERY pretty! I love that dark red one! WOW! :O)

• vela75
    16 years ago

Hi Faintheart! Are you sure that is your Gran Cru lillium? I've searched on the internet, and no "gran cru" looks anything like that. I would LOVE to know what that is, because I WANT IT! Thanks :-)

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

A few more odds and ends.

Gotta love a pollinator, even on loosetrife

Purslane

Abelmoschus manihot
    {{gwi:1280714}}

Sunflower, Tall border mix

• vela75
    16 years ago

Poison..those are gorgeous...I'm so jealous, I believe I see a greenhouse in the back. I feel lucky to have some of those manihot seeds!

Faintheart - I borrowed your picture of Gran Cru and posted on the Lily site for ID. Do you ever remember ordering "Italia"?

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Okay, Poison...what is your secret? Gorgeous flowers...Great pictures....Come on...GIVE IT!!! I can't manage either of those. :O(

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Hazelnutbunny, you are too funny!
    To pick up on another thread, my advanced age means that I have had plenty of time to collect plants and seeds. I also have a camera with a nice macro feature, which makes for nice close ups.

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Here are some pictures I snagged this morning in between rain showers.
    First, my daughter Aubeni & her baby toad she found in a puddle this morning (poor froggie...)

{{gwi:1280718}}

{{gwi:1280720}}

This is my rose that was SUPPOSED to be a bright pale orange...I don't know, but I think this is closer to DARK orangey/red..?

{{gwi:1279787}}

Patiently waiting for this one to open up..it's supposed to be a pale yellow. We'll see!

{{gwi:1280723}}

Another one I'm waiting for. I don't remember what this one's supposed to be.
    {{gwi:1280725}}

Here's a day lily that was given to me about a week ago in a trade. When I got it, it was all brown and the sender just knew it was done for, but she wanted to at least TRY it. So, Jen..if you see this...here's your MAGIC MINSTREL. It's got NEW LEAVES!!! YAY!! :O)
    {{gwi:1280727}}

• galium
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Poison, the Purslane is wonderful, great orange color.

Dee, the last daylily seedling picture is spectacular. It's a wonderful array of pinks.

It took me a few minutes to load these photo's. I'll start a new thread next week unless someone else wants to.

Had a disaster the other day. A groundhog ate a grouping of Malva, that I started from seed, right to the ground. I grew this variety especially for my Shades Of Purple Garden. If that wasn't bad enough it came down to the front yard and stripped leaves and flowers off most of my Echinacea's. My DH chased it away before it did anymore damage.
    Have a great weekend everyone and keep posting those photos they really make my day.
    Mariann

• faintheart
    16 years ago

Hi again all!

My apologies for the misID on the lilium! I received it last year from a pal and since it didn't bloom, I didn't check the blossom against the name it was sent to me as. It does look like it might be 'Italia', Vela. Thank you for looking for the correct name!

My time at the pc is limited these days with this back injury. The daylily seedlings are my own grown from seed. :) I can't sit long but I can walk around and look at the blooms and take pics. I hope they don't get camera shy and leave me! lol

Bad BAD groundhog! Mariann, I hope you have no more damage.

hugs,
    Dee

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Creamy blossoms:

Sunflower

Dahlia, White Owl

Tropical Canna, Vanilla

Bargain Store unnamed Cactus Dahlia

• galium
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Poison is that a hoop greenhouse in back of your sunflowers? Also I wouldn't mind swapping some of your seeds from the Gomphocarpus (Hairy Balls).

This is all that is left of my Echinacea 'White Swan'. There is a stem sticking out of the ground with all the leaves and buds stripped off. The flower is perched on the top. The evil groundhog........ Luckily I grew it from seed and I have a few more plants in my holding bed.
    {{gwi:1280735}}

Mariann

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Mariann, barring natural disasters beyond this drought I should have plenty of two varieties of gomphocarpus seeds this fall. One has green seed pods, the other has purple.
    Yes, that is a hoop house. Hideously ugly isn't it? I need all the sun I can get on it in January and February so I can't use anything permanent to screen it. I plant hollyhocks and sunflowers around it for summer, but they don't hide the ugly, just provide a distraction from it.