Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veeja11

NEW: Obf Christmas in july

veeja11
13 years ago

Hi all you must be a member of obf to be in this swap . If you would like to join us please contact myself or shirley to request to join our fun permanent trade group I have been doing christmas in july for sometime now. send whatever you like plants if not too hot. only rule is you must include one christmas item. please sign up by july 10th. promises to be fun. mail date july 25th. enjoy hugs carol. I am punishing myself and sitting out this month for being late on june

Comments (86)

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

Margaret~ Prayers for you & your family. I've been thinking of you lately. *hugs*

Laura~ Your card will go out on Monday. :o)

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Happy Monday!!

Margaret, just read your post. So sorry about your niece. Hugs coming your way.

Shirley, your fabulously wonderful box of daylilies arrived today. But there is no invoice or letter with how much to send you. Please help!! Are they $3 each and then add postage. Does this sound right. And do you have paypal or do you want me to mail it to you? Just let me know. AND THANK YOU SO MUCH! They arrived p~e~r~f~e~c~t! :0)

Laura, can't wait! You always send the neatest things!!

Talk to you soon and Happy Digging!!
    vina

• luckyladyd
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone, Just want to say hi and let you know we're back. I was very sick during the trip. Never drink the water or eat the chopped meat :) Am fine now. Is so hot here in NJ now. My sister took care of our house, dog and plants. Said it was 106 degrees! Looks like all having fun with the swap. Sorry I wasn't here to join in. I haven't caught up with all the posts, but hope everyone is having a good summer. Still in mid-renovation. Promise picture when finished. Good news is lost 5 lb while in China. New diet; eat nothing and live in bathroom.

• lilangel181
    13 years ago

Oh no! I hope you got to have at least some fun on your trip. Hubby, too, because I know he was on the mend. Hope everyone is well,
    ~Laura

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Dottie, I am so sorry that you were sick like that on your trip. I am like Laura - hope you had some time to enjoy it and see some of the country.
    Margaret, I am sorry to hear about your niece and I hope her treatments go well.
    Vina, glad your plant swap went well. It has been so hot here and I just can't keep up with all the watering that is needed. I gave away some of my tomato plants last week and tossed some today. They were in small pots and I just don't have the time to repot that many and the money to put into all that potting soil, etc. right now. We stilll have plenty of tomato plants to keep us in tomatoes --- if only they will start to produce. The only variety that has produced so far is Silvery Fir Tree and I think we may have gotten a total of 6 tomaotes.
    My husband is in charge of the garden when I am away. I know he is hoping for lots of rain! We have 3 deer that have taken up residence on our property (joining lots of bunnies and squirrels) so I just hope they stay in the woods more than in the garden. It is cute to see them though. I keep wondering what our horses think of the deer. LOL They are plenty used to rabbits and squirrels.
    Stay cool, everyone, and if your garden is producing something good, enjoy one of each for me!
    Jeanne

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi everyone!
    My Christmas in July arrived from Laura today!
    She sent a cute card of the 3 wisemen and seeds:
    pink guara
    moss rose
    potentilla miss wilmonts
    mexican orange sunflower
    hardy lily mix
    seashore mallow
    phlox- light blue
    russian hollyhock- yellow (this has been on my want list for quite some time...thank you!!!)
    hollyhock mix
    sunflower dwarf teddybear
    phlox mix

A super surprise Laura! Thank you so much!! I need to look up a few of them as I have never heard of them before. The seashore mallow sounds very interesting.

Dottie, so sorry to hear about your tummy troubles on your trip. They are the worst when your away from home.

Jeanne, I could agree with you on the heat...until this afternoon when the sky opened up and we had one hum-dinger of a storm. Trees, power lines, everything came down. Some of the roads were closed. It was a mess. Thankfully, our house only got the crazy wind and rain. No damage. And boy did we need the rain!!

Off to go investigate my new seeds...
    have a great night!
    vina

• luckyladyd
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the sympathy, guys. The whole trip was really pretty dreadful and I'm SO glad to be home.

Margaret, I hope things are better with your niece.

Vina, I think we are getting that storm right now. Just started thundering and raining hard. Lots of wind, too.

Jeanne, I'm right with you on the veg plants. I still have a couple of tomato plants in 2" pots, and some things in my wintersowing containers! A couple of large shrubs died from too much water while I was gone. . . We didn't have much rain, but my sister killed them with kindness. She's really not a plant person, and despite my instructions, it's hard for her.

Laura, Nice of you to remember that DH was a mess before we left. He's much better. Because he was already on antibiotic meds when we went, he escaped the horrors preemptively! His leg is healed and he's tip top again.

We had our first tomato yesterday. It was great! A huge Brandywine that I grew in a homemade tomato box. We're enjoying the basil and the oregano now. Waiting on pole beans. They are over 10' tall! I'll need a big ladder, for sure!

DH just came and told me our dog has gone incontinent on the rug. Must go. Always something.

• margaret_2007
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for all the prayers, Ladies. My niece is doing so well with the treatments, the dr's can't believe it. The spinal tap showed no cancer in the fluids there & that is great news. She was supposed to be in the hospital for all treatments but blood work is so good they sent her home for a couple of days, goes back tomorrow for her bloodwork & if it is ok she can take treatments on Mon., Wed, & Fridays's at the hospital & stay at home as long as her temp doesn't get above 100. Has no immune system now so must be very careful of infections. It is going so well & we are just praising the Lord Jesus Christ for this.
    So sorry about your trip, Dottie & can't wait to see the pictures. Like you all, it seems, we are having lots & lots of rain & very hot weather (which makes me crabby but I can always find something else to do that when it cools off)! It is so much more like August here but has been even May & June. I have done very little yard work but got some mulch put down. Not time to do much of anything with all that is going on.
    Swap is going great is seems. Such a lovely group we have. I will keep lurking when possible & please keep praying for Deb. Blessings, Margaret

• luckyladyd
    13 years ago

Great news, Margaret! So glad to hear something good!

It's hot as h*ll here. Don't know how anyone is gardening. Guy in a store today told me it will be 100 tomorrow. Not loving it.

Well, my rabbit problem has taken care of itself; my sister told me she and my son had to free a red tailed hawk from some bird netting over my berry plants while I was gone. She had to handle its feet and my son had to handle the bird! Said it was really scarey, but the hawk was docile and let them work at it until they cut the netting from its feet. Then yesterday, the hawk few right in front of my windshield as I was coming down my street! What a huge, magnificent bird! Wingspan covered the whole front of my car! Just glad I didn't hit her.

Maybe she can hang around and take out some of these freaking squirrels. They have learned how to remove the ports from the bird feeders by unscrewing the bolts! DH is amazed. He put them on extra tight and those suckers took them off again yesterday. Today they unscrewed the top from a huge birdfeeder and it crashed to the ground. I know that's what they did, because the top of the feeder is still hanging up!

Must get back to working on painting in the kitchen. Finally chose a paint color.
    Cheers, Dottie

• veeja11
    Original Author
    13 years ago

gonna be in mid 80's here tomorrow a bit hot for a lil washington girl I like clouds and rain, Dottie don't sick that big bird on those cute lil squirrels, or our bunny, she is known to go a nibbling this time of year, or doing the other thing bunnies do. although I have forbidden that this year Lili needs more time being the special lil one. cards need to be sent by july 30th. mine is finally in the mail big hugs and cool breezes to you all.
    roasting carol

• hdiperna
    13 years ago

My card will be in the mail today. I will be out of town till Tuesday, so I will check in with you all then. Have a great weekend!
    Heidi

• lilangel181
    13 years ago

I received my lovely card from Bunny last night! It was also filled with the following seed goodies: tropical milkweed, hechura "Dale's Strain", Hosta, California Poppy "Thai Silk Pink Champagne", brown eyed susan, geranium "Pinto Salmon", tall red and white amaryllis, burning bush, sea lavender and last but not least English lavender.

Wheee! Time to look up the ones I'm not so familliar with, and (if the rain lets up) go planting! Thanks so much Miss Bunny! *hugs*
    ~Laura

• brittneysgran
    13 years ago

Wow can I relate with the hot temps and watering, watering, watering. I have three water hoses going non stop when we are home and one is going 24 sevens. We bought a sump pump and put it in our pond and it waters non-stop. The flowers are loving this water as the fish have it well fertilized. So very hot here, once the sun is up it is hard to work in the gardens.

Margaret-Thank God for answered prayers for Deb...NO CANCER...I know that is wonderful news for her family.

Dottie-So sorry to hear the China trip was so unpleasant. My nephew just got back from Peru on a Missionary trip so I'm anxious to hear how it went.

Vina-Sending you an e-mail about the daylilies. Glad you were pleased.

April-Sending you an e-mail also.

Melissa-Your Christmas card and seeds will go out on Monday.

Shirley

• luckyladyd
    13 years ago

Hi everyone, I decided to take photos of the kitchen, even though it isn't done-done, as DH left on a trip yesterday, and not much is getting done until he gets back. As you can see, there's molding laying on the floor unattached, and the toe kick isn't on under a cabinet, but my painting work is done and I'm calling it quits for now. Oh, and I still have to change out the seat covers on the bar stools, which are left over from the "old" look.

I'm so proud of my "pot wall". It took me a whole morning to shine and hang those in order!

Now on to the bedroom!

Dottie

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

Dottie! What a gorgeous kitchen! I love it! :D The colors are great, and I love the tile & backsplash!

• lilangel181
    13 years ago

OOO Dottie it looks BEAUTIFUL! I love love love the granite counters and the green back-splash! One day I aspire to have a place of my own that I can decorate beautifully... no more pinky-peach crazy faux texture kitchen counters, linoleum and white walls for me. It'll be beautiful like yours. And with lots of storage!! :)
    ~Laura

• veeja11
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dottie, kitchen is beautiful makes me wanna cook. everyone please post if you have received your card so I can keep track, mine is mailed but dosen't look like Shirley has gotten it. hugs to all carol

• veeja11
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I received too much from Heidi today, lovely card, memo pad with pen note cards note pad all christmas themed 16 seed pkts can't wait to grow lemonade. plastic seed envies. Thankyou Heidi you overdid it, but I love it. big thankyou hugs
    carol

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi all!

Dottie, your envie went out on Tuesday. You should be getting it any day now...HAPPY CHRISTMAS IN JULY :0)
    And your kitchen is G O R G E O U S !!!!!! I am in love with your backsplash! Is that glass or tile? And did you buy a kit or have it custom made. Truly, its beautiful!

Shirley, I haven't received any email. Can you resend it?

Carol, sounds like a great Christmas came your way too. :0)

I just posted a NOID Iris Swap and hope some of you sign- up. It should be alot of fun!

Talk to you later!
    vina

• brittneysgran
    13 years ago

Dottie-What a beautiful kitchen...good job. I love re-modeled rooms. It seems like you just bought a new house.

Carol-I did get your Christmas card and some wonderful seeds.
    Malva sylvestris 'Zebrina'
    Ornithogalum magnum
    Salvia coccinea 'Coral Nymph'
    Lupine

I see 3 of the packs are from our own Remy's 'The Sample Seed Shop'. Can't wait to see all these in bloom. I have tried all Summer getting Lupine to grow and have not had much luck. Maybe seeds will do better....we will see.

Thanks Carol

Melissa-Your card was mailed on Tuesday.

Shirley

• luckyladyd
    13 years ago

Thanks, guys. It was a long process. Yes, the glass tiles I bought online and had them installed by the floor people. They came from Glass tile oasis.

This remodel really took 12 years! That's right. Twelve. We had the ceramic tile floor installed 12 years ago when we bought the house. We had done a lot of business with the flooring company, replacing all the floors in this house and my last one. After a few weeks the ceramic began to crack. We called and they said it wasn't their fault. More cracks came over the next ten years. Finally, we decided to do it over ourselves. We dug up the tiles and discovered that it had been laid improperly. Called the flooring company, and after much negotiation, they agreed to replace the floor. What a guy. In the meantime, we decided to do another remodel; hence the granite and wall improvements.

Vina, I see that you are sending me something?? I wasn't able to play in the swap in July, and I'm not sure if "envie" means envelope or Green Envy coneflower, or something else! You've got me curious! Thank you in advance!

As some of you may remember, I am now doing volunteer work and one of my sweet ladies wasn't home today when I called on her because she is in the hospital. I know I have to be prepared to deal with this, as almost everyone I work with now is over 80, but it's still going to be hard.

Harvested three huge Brandywine tomatoes tonight. They are SO good!

Dottie

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Morning everyone!

Dottie don't get too excited. :(

I posted wrong and I sent to Beth for July. SO SORRY for any confusion...but when you have 2 kids one on each side both asking you things at the same time...I'm sure you all get the idea :0) OR Maybe I was just drooling too much over that backsplash and couldn't remember my train of thought :0)

Remy has a Sample Seed Shop? How neat! She must be super busy this time of year!

Have a great weekend!

And (**shamelessly promoting**) Don't forget to sign up for the NOID Iris Swap...
    vina

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

I received a lovely card from Ms Shirley today! She sent a wonderful selection of seeds & also a pretty Christmas ornament! Thank you so much, Shirley! I love it all! :o)

• hdiperna
    13 years ago

Does anyone know who has the swap for September? I thought I signed up for a swap with the MNF group, but according to their schedule I didn't. Now I am wondering if it was with the OBF. I am turning 29 and already loosing my mind.

Heidi

• luckyladyd
    13 years ago

Heidi, I don't think you are losing your mind :) At least not because of the OBF schedule. I was surprised to see my name listed as host for September. I did offer to sign up, but last time the list came out it had your name. I am happy to let you take it if you are still willing, as I am about to be mired in more renovation works, and we have another trip starting on Saturday.

Hi to everybody else. I just set up sprinklers and it now looks like it's about to rain. Gotta go undo my efforts!

Dottie

• hdiperna
    13 years ago

I am happy to take September. I have been planning my storybook swap for a while. How is everyone's weather? It felt like October last night. I hear that we are going to warm up though :o(

Heidi

• hdiperna
    13 years ago

I received my present from Beth. She sent me a cook book called Home for the Holidays. I love it and can't wait to try out some of the recipes. The seeds will be on their way shortly so I will post when they arrive. There was also a wonderful letter. Thank You Beth. It was a Great Christmas!!
    Heidi

• earthlydelights
    13 years ago

hello everyone. hope this finds you all well.

dottie the kitchen is just fabulous. who is the maker of your range? it looks like a viking - very commercial looking and i love it. you crack me up, carol...makes you want to cook!!!! is that a warming drawer to the right of the range or a small refrig or dishwasher? may you have many filling and happy meals prepared in that room!

well, it's been hot as he!! forever, but it seems to be cooling down at night, which is good. i'm so sick of air conditioning.

my hot water heater went capute up in the mountain house, so i have to contend with that. it's a weird size and tall and skinny, so it's a little more than i really want to pay. so far a piece has been replaced and that wasn't the problem. we'll work on the next part and if that's not it, well then there goes a thousand bucks

i'm in the midst of having my granddaughter's bedroom redone. the upstairs tub leaked all into the ceiling and then crashed through, so needless to say, when it friggin rains, it pours. i have three contractor's coming this week to give me estimates. one guy came today and then tells me his back is too bad to do the job! go figure...why come out? i already told you exactly what is needed. it will look great when it's done. the room was blue and she wants blue again. i put my foot down, said no...pink or some other girly color. tomorrow we'll hit the paint store and then look at colors and she can pick.

speaking of my sweet baby, she just turned 4. we had a great party for her, at a bowling alley. friends and families, very nice, everyone had a wonderful time.

my garden beds are a total mess....so many weeds, the heat is not conducive to me working out there, plus those bugs bite the heck out of me.

well, that's it for now. be back soon. by the way, who is hosting august? i don't see a post.

be well
    happy blooms

maryanne

• luckyladyd
    13 years ago

Hey Maryanne, Good to see you posting. Sorry about your plumbing dilemma. Contractors can be so draining!

The range is a Wolfe, and you are right that the thing on the right is a warming drawer. I have to resist the habit of putting pot lids and stuff in it when it's not being used for warming:) My favorite new appliance is actually the Breville toaster oven! I use it more than the other ovens for sure.

Heidi, glad you are psyched for the September hosting.

Weather was great here for two days. Mosquitoes don't let up, though. Supposed to be hot and humid again starting tomorrow.

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Hi All,
    I hope everyone is well. I've been busy busy busy! It never ends, lol. Anyone interested in visiting Niagara Falls at the end of August? I'm hosting my Tomato Tastefest then.

Maryanne,
    It has been very hot here too, but I shouldn't complain since it is worse where you are.
    I can't believe your grand daughter is 4 already!

Dottie,
    Great kitchen!
    Sorry you got sick on your trip : (

Vina,
    Yes, I own the internet store. I've been surprised by the amount of summer orders I've had. It isn't overly busy with them, but more than I expected.

Shirley,
    I am getting sick of watering so much!

Margaret,
    That is wonderful news!

Have a good night everyone,
    Remy

• veeja11
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Remy, sure wish I could come, I love maters, mine aren't setting well this year, only one set is one called gays de meiloc or something like that. has everyone received their christmas card ? hugs to all my bloomin friends carol

• earthlydelights
    13 years ago

******IS THERE AN AUGUST SWAP***** someone, anyone, beuller?

thanks

• hdiperna
    13 years ago

I think that we should skip august swap and I will post September early like on Aug 20th. That would give people till Sept 1st to sign up and then a couple weeks till they had to send out...

Just my 2 cents :o)

Heidi

• luckyladyd
    13 years ago

Sounds good, Heidi. I'll be away anyway, and maybe others will too.

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hey all!

Beth, have you received my bubbler? I just hope it didn't get lost in the mail?

Shirley, I still haven't received any email about the daylilies. Can you re-send?

Remy, just looked up your website-store. It is beautiful. Did you do all the pictures, posting and pretty much everything yourself? All I can say is...BRAVO! :0) It looks wonderful...and your prices are very reasonable. I will definitely be ordering from you later this year.

Heidi, that sounds great! I didn't think I would join this month. I over-booked myself...again!

I've been here, there, and it seems everywhere this last week and I have no clue when it will slow down. It all started about a week or so ago when my mother's elderly friend wanted me to help her in her garden. Pulling weeds, thinning plants...you get the jist of it. ANYWHO...she told someone, who told someone, who told someone...and now I have been going to a different house about every 4 days...weeding and thinning and mulching. But now I have a few people that I am putting off till next week or the week after. Its such a shame to get old and want to get out and do things and your body just won't let you. On the up side I am meeting a lot of nice people who have years of wisdom on some plants and I am learning something new pretty much every place I've gone.

Happy Thursday!
    vina

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Hi All,
    I came back checking for an August swap, but there's none I guess.

Maryanne,
    Very funny!

Carol,
    Gajo De Melon is the name. It pumped out lots of tomatoes for me. Too bad you are so far away, you would have a great time.

Vina,
    Thank you, yes, I did it all myself except a few photos that are marked as such.
    That is too nice of you. I hope you are getting a few plants or a few dollars for all that work!
    Talk you you all later,
    Remy

• brittneysgran
    13 years ago

July-Carol (Christmas in July)
    Aug-
    Sept-Dottie
    Oct
    Nov-Jeanne (Book Swap)
    Dec

Dottie-You are so right about having the Sept swap. I found the list on last months swap page. We did not however have anyone taking August. It is so hot and dry I vote we skip August and just post when one can.

Heidi-If Dottie really wants to she can turn over Sept to you or you can take Oct...it really doesn't matter to me.

I've been working 50-60 hours per week and I am so tired of it. I keep telling myself this is good that I have a job and can put in overtime but I'm tired and wish I could retire. DH and I went out for Dinner when I came home and that was so nice not to cook. Went by Lowe's and found some killer deals on hibiscus. They were 75% off so I only paid $3.75 for the ones I bought.

Vina-I will re-send the e-mail.

Shirley

• earthlydelights
    13 years ago

thanks for the responses on the august swap, or lack thereof. i want to get back into the game, but august would not work for me, so i am thankful to see that we will go right to september. how exciting we will have a book swap. i just got done (although they are a little older) reading the mitford series...just lovely reading.

shirley - i'll take october

remy, good to see someone caught it!

theresa, are you still around? would love to hear what plants you ordered and if oyu care for the company.

melissa, how is your new baby, who probably isn't a baby anymore.

well, my mind just went blank, so i'll say goodnight.

be well
    happy blooms

maryanne

• brittneysgran
    13 years ago

Aug-Skipping this one
    Sept-Dottie who I think gave it to Heidi
    Oct-Maryanne
    Nov-Jeanne (Book Swap)
    Dec

Hi Maryanne and thanks for taking Oct. I can't believe we are this close to Fall.

Where is everyone??????????

Shirley

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Vina, sorry about the delay.
    We are "on the road" and the mail eventually catches up with us. We pay for what the PO calls Premium Forwarding. It is SLOW and expensive but does eventually catch up.
    Earlier in the year we were sometimes waiting an extra four or five days, in places where we had done all we wanted to do for the mail. Now we pretty much stick to our planned schedule and eventually,it does catch up.
    I'm still waiting for the seeds that I ordered for Heidi too!
    Not an excuse and sure not a good reason either.
    i"ll post again when I get everything straight on this.
    Sorry Carol and all else. I hate being unreliable but I have looked for seeds in a variety of stores around here with no luck so I'm stuck with waiting for the mail order.
    Bethb

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Happy Sunday!

Remy, they have been trying to pay me, but I just feel weird taking there money. One lady tried to give me a $50, and then she told me that landscapers get $20 an hour! I had no idea. I settled for $10 for gas money and a loaf of banana bread :0) I can never turn down food!!:0)

I have, however, been "sampling" some of there extra plants I have been splitting. They are more than happy to be rid of them and I am thrilled to have them. I am currently splitting a bed of iris for a lady. They run along the entire length of her house. She's 88, and she remembers when HER mother planted them there. I have never seen them bloom but she says they are a rainbow of all different colors. OH! and they have NEVER been split...ever! I have split about half of the bed and right now have about 200 on my deck that I am finding a home for in my garden. I can't wait to see what they look like.

Shirley, thanks! and I'll be waiting for the email.

Beth, no problem. I just was wondering if you received it OR maybe I should resend another bubbler?

For Jeanne's book swap in November is it any kind of book? I don't remember being in that one last year. But I just finished a fabulous book. 'The Red Tent' by Anita Diamant and its now ready to be passed on to someone else to enjoy.

Talk to you all soon!
    vina

ps....STILL shamelessly promoting the NOID Iris Swap...sign-ups are until the 13th. :0)

• luckyladyd
    13 years ago

Hi from Sydney, Au. Just managed to slip into an internet cafe for a few minutes and see that you all have worked it all out about the hosting for the next few months. Yes, Shirley, I am happy to let Heidi have Sept. as I will not be home for a bit now. Hopefully, I will be able to join in soon. Weather here is very cool. People wearing coats and boots! Lovely after the heat we've suffered at home. My sister is watering my plants and caring for my house, and I'm grateful for the break from it. Hope everyone is well and staying cool.

Dottie

• veeja11
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok I need a volunteer, we have a new girl wanting to join our group, she started a thread asking for a swap with one of us to become a member, but has non members volunteering to trade with her so she can join us. can someone please go to her thread and set up a trade with her, since poor senile carol can't remember who our members are beyond the oldies. Remy thankyou for naming my tomato. dh says he wants nothing in his garden but big boy types, hope gay or gayo can win him over. hugs to all my bloomin friends carol

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi Carol! I may be able to help. I am doing a trade with Jennifer (booboobolhuis) right now for seeds. Well, I'm paying postage and she's sending me some. Does that still count as a trade? I emailed her and she responded super fast. I'm sending out my bubbler today and she seems very nice and friendly.

If it counts as a trade you can email her and let her know.

Thanks!
    vina

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Hello to everyone. I haven't read the messages yet and it may take me a few days. We just returned from Poland this morning. What a fantastic trip and we saw so much and loved the country! I can't believe I have been gone from home for this long. We were due back in very late last evening, but didn't make it out of Charlotte, NC, so we got booked on a morning flight today. It took us 33 hours and 15 min. to get home. Wow, that was a long time!
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

I got up early (still somewhat on Polish time I guess) so I read through the postings above and wanted to let you know that the books we will swap will be fiction and we would love to have you share one that you have already read or select one by your favorite author. It will be best if you do not tell about your book and the author, etc. ahead of time because I will be coming up with a way to match partners based on the book you will be sending (somewhat like the goodess swap that we had earlier in the year --- although I am not totally sure of the way I will do it yet.) If you already listed something, don't worry. No one will know if you stuck with that book or switched to something different by the time the swap is posted.
    Remy, I have to tell you that one of the places we went in Poland was a Polish pottery factory where they made and sold the pottery. What a variety of designs and types of items and the prices were great! However, for the entire trip, I had to consider that anything breakable, bendable, fragile, etc. was going to have to be carried around in my tote bag so I was very limited in what I bought. Even when I had my suitcase, it was already pretty full and the weight restrictions on luggage are not very generous these days. The total luggage for the group barely fit under the bus so the driver had to really squeeze those pieces in the luggage area each day! Plus, we changed hotels almost every day so you did not want to repack breakables over and over again. Anyway, what I came home with was small and mostly non-breakable and I tried to stick with what could be squeezed in my tote bag.
    I have to let you ponder this, my traveling friend and I did not get our suitcase until our third day in Poland. (Yes, you really can wear the same outfit for three days - LOL) It made our first few days "more interesting" than we had planned though and I sure was glad when our luggage was delivered on the third day. If you want to know what to do when your luggage does not arrive, I have all the answers now.
    Have a good week.
    Jeanne

• hdiperna
    13 years ago

I am glad to hear that all our travelers are making it home safely. I went ahead and posted September swap. My next few weeks are going to be hectic and I wanted to get it out of the way. Hope you can all join
    Heidi

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

At long long last the mail has caught up with me and I can begin getting caught up too.
    We also have the computer and TV both working properly again so life feels pretty normal today. Hooray!
    Many thanks to Vina for both her package and her patience.
    I received a cute little tote bag with an assortment of seeds. Two assortments,one of wildflowers and one for shade.I love the idea of one for shade as I'm generally stumped about what to put in shade. The wild flowers are always a hit too. There were sunflowers which are always on my favorites list and some others that I'm sure I'll enjoy.
    Christmas came in August, not July but it was worth the wait.
    I also got the seed order and will be mailing off to Heidi tomorrow.
    Carol, maybe in another week you'll be able to wrap this one up.
    hugs to all
    Beth

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Heidi, Just checking to see if seeds arrived. I sent them about a week ago now.
    I also sent school packages for the kids ( mine in MD) and have not heard from them either so the mail may be slow.
    Hope things are going well.
    BB

• hdiperna
    13 years ago

Beth sorry I didn't post sooner. I think they came on Fri or Sat. I love the selection. The boys loved the little animals too. Many Thanks!!!!

Heidi