Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjc48

FOTESS July Yard Sale!

sjc48
10 years ago

Hi Everyone, and welcome back after a long and much needed break! Hope everyone had some good times and got lots of stuff done! Between all the company and all the rain, my gardens look like miniature jungles, so guess what I'll be doing in July?!

I thought we would do a Yard Sale this month, well, kinda, sorta like a yard sale - we won't be selling anything. We'll just be trying to get rid of some of the stuff we have hanging around, you know, like you do at a real yard sale!

Here's what we'll do:
1. When you sign up, please list 2-3 items that you are donating for the Yard Sale. PLEASE, no more than 3 items.

2. You can donate gardening items, seeds, plants, recycled or upcycled items and magazines or books.

3. Please watch the size and weight of your items, because you may be mailing to more than one person and it could get a tad bit expensive.

4. After sign-ups are over, I'll post the whole list of donated items, along with who donated them.

5. On a first come, first serve basis, you can pick which item(s) you want and that item (s) will be mailed out to you.

6. You can choose to take all of one person's items or you can choose from several different people.

7. If you choose from different people, choose only the amount of items that you donated. For instance, if you donated 3 items, you can choose 3 items, if you want them. If you donated 2, choose two, and so on.

8. Posting a picture of what you are donating is a nice idea, but not required.

9. Sign-ups will be until Sunday, July 9.

1. The Sale will start Monday morning, July 10th.

2. You will have until the end of July to mail out.

Now, I know that this sounds a little confusing, but I'll keep track of what everyone is doing, and I think if we all pay attention, this could work and be fun!

Any questions, concerns? Just ask!
I'll be back later with my list of donated items!

So, if everyone is rested and refreshed from the break, come on out and join in the FOTESS July Yard Sale!
Shirley!

Comments (128)

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops, forgot to post the list:
    From Janine: SOLD OUT!!
    1. Ten metal botanical labels; Sent to KATIE
    2. Strawberry plant; Sent to HEIDI
    3. Ten packs of seeds; Sent to ALANA

From Margo: SOLD OUT!!
    1. Chocolate Mint and Chocolate Ajuga; Sending to JANINE
    2. Water gardening book; Sending to KATIE

From Heidi: SOLD OUT!!
    1. 6x12 metal wall hanging; Sending to SHIRLEY
    2. Small garden flag; Sending to VINA
    3. Yellow glittery garden sign;Sending to ALANA

From Katie: SOLD OUT!!
    1. "Jazz Echo" Iris Sending to VINA
    2. "Witch's Thimble" Day Lily;Sending to MARGO
    3. "Avis Jeanne" Day Lily; Also to MARGO

From Alana: SOLD OUT!!
    1. Persian Shield; Sending to JANINE
    2. Fragrant Corkscrew Vine; Sending to HEIDI
    3. "Strutter's Ball" Day Lily. Sending to VINA

From Vina: SOLD OUT!!
    1. "Sky Hooks" Iris; Sending to HEIDI
    2. "Sans Souci" Iris; Sending to SHIIRLEY
    3. "Grapesicle" Iris; Sending to SHIRLEY

From Shirley: SOLD OUT!!
    1. Large pack of misc. seeds; Sending to ALANA
    2. 2 recent issues of Garden Gate magazine;Sending to JANINE
    3. WSed Joe Pye Weed. Sending to KATIE

Any mistakes? Let me know!
    Shirley!

• smitties
    10 years ago

Vina, beautiful flower. I wasn't into daylilies until I started getting them from members here. I do believe I am hooked. LOL I just love them and certainly have the space for them as soon as I make it. :) Right now, most are in my 8x8 gardens and certainly crowding everyone else out.

I am sorry to hear about your buddy, Boogie. I know how hard that is to lose your beloved pets.

It sounds like you get some good help with your critters. It is a good thing to teach kids responsibility with. We have been through many critters as well. Gerbils were several years back and the kids did the small cleanings and then we would do the big one once a week. Then there was the fish. They fed them but I would do the clean out. My youngest daughter had a goldfish name Dude who grew to be about 8 inches long. Boy did she love that little guy. He would come up to the top of the tank for her when she came in the room. One day, we went shopping and when we came home, Dude was not in his tank. The poor guy had jumped out and died. She was crushed. Now she has the parakeet that I take care of.

I was out taking pictures of some of my garden flowers and thought I would let you all see why it is called bee balm.

Margo

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

Vina, I love your "home made" daylily.
    I am taking Janine's to the PO in a bit, no digging required. Vina and Heidi, my yard is a swamp from days of rain. I will dig yours this weekend.
    Great swap.

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, the weather is slowly changing around! We had rain today, but the humidity is gone, YAY!!!

Worked outside all evening. Not much rain related damage, needed to stake some plants. But my landlords ran some kind of wiring behind my two long beds and in doing so, trampled some of the monarda and Echinacea. I think they nailed the Silene too. Bummer.

How are the chicks doing, Alana?

Beautiful picture, Margo, but did you have to show a red monarda, you know, the bane of my existence? Did you have rain today? How are the new parents to be doing? Everything going okay?

Heidi! I got the garden sign today, wow, that was quick. Love it!

My friend, Kathy, is coming out for a week long visit on Sunday. We've been friends since 1st grade. We have a mini excursion planned, going up on the Thumb to get the rest of the Lake Huron Lighthouses. Want to take her to Frankenmuth too. It will be great to get together with her, with lots of time to visit and catch up!!

Well, off to scrub the mud from underneath my fingernails!
    Talk to ya all tomorrow!
    Shirley!

• smitties
    10 years ago

Shirley, things were rough down here during those storms. We don't have mature trees but things went flying off the decks and the wind flattened a lot of my flowers but I am hoping they pop back up. It also knocked over my tomato and jalapeno plants. Grrrrr The owner of the store called during it all and told us to close and head for home. We waited out the worst of it in the back room where there are no windows, just in case. Once it started to let up, we went home. There was a poor little baby robin that had been knocked out of his nest in the parking lot. He was just sitting there not knowing what to do. I hope it is ok.

Kelly will be flying to Ohio for her baby shower this weekend and Alex is staying home to paint the baby room. Too much money to fly him too for just three days. We will be finding out what the gender is. I will share with all of you as soon as I can once I find out. So exciting.

Shirley, that Monarda is more on the side of pink. I do have red that is about 3 1/2 feet tall or more and one that is about 18 inches. Then I have three other colors. I just love them. We will have to make arrangements for sharing some time when you are passing through. Especially if your landlords killed yours.

No more rain in the forecast for the next five days so I am hoping to get caught up on more gardening. This is the garden I still need to clean up and cut back.

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

I received the happy yellow Garden hanging sign from Heidi. I am doing a little garden project with Allie and it will be perfect.
    Alana

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, Everyone! Long, goofy day yesterday!

Margo, sounds good to me, will let you know when I'm going to be "passing by, with time to stop!" I'll start looking for plants to share. Could you use some butterfly weed? or Joe Pye?

I can't raise red Monarda, I think I've told that sad story on GW. And my two huge beds of pink and lavender monarda really faded away this year. I can't find the seeds, hate to buy the plants. Will go on looking for the seeds. Wish I could remember where I got THOSE seeds, but it's been 5-6 years ago.

Katie, Alana and Janine, your Yard Sale items are on the way! Katie, you are either going to laugh or cry when you see how I packed those plants!

Beautiful day here, not too hot, with a nice cool breeze AND, tada, NO RAIN!!
    I'll be back later with an update!
    Shirley!

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

Janine,
    The strawberry plants came today. I was focused on something else when my daughter told me I got a box in the mail. "Open it. Quick! Give it water." (It had to be a plant.) So she was the one that read your sweet note and came to find me. She's so happy to know someone sent HER a plant. She told me she had bugs eating her strawberries so I got her some Sevin to dust them with. She's busy planting them, watering them and talking to them. I have a new plant addict coming along in the family!
    Alana, so glad the flag will work well for you.
    I've been to the adjoining town 10 miles away to find some plastic fence. Pieces are 2.5 feet long and 12" high to fence off my flowers/hostas from family members who hack into my poor babies. I bought what was in town thinking, "There are stores in this chain all around. I'll be able to find more if I need more." This may be harder than I thought!
    I also dug up daisies out of the parks that are being mowed over. As they reseed the babies grow and the guys mow over anything outside the magic perimeter. I'm planting them and giving them away all over town.
    Heidi

• jaynine
    10 years ago

Good Evening Everyone,
    I had to run some errands today and when I returned home TWO boxes were waiting for me. Everything arrived in perfect condition: our 'kitten' (he's 2), Merry, was extremely impressed by the packaging. Thank you both, Alana & Margo, for the very nice plants.
    Janine

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's an update, the swap is going really well.

1. Ten metal botanical labels; Sent to KATIE
    2. Strawberry plant; Sent to HEIDI who has REC'D
    3. Ten packs of seeds; Sent to ALANA

1. Chocolate Mint and Chocolate Ajuga; Sent to JANINE who has REC'D
    2. Water gardening book; Sending to KATIE

1. 6x12 metal wall hanging; Sent to SHIRLEY who has REC'D
    2. Small garden flag; Sending to VINA
    3. Yellow glittery garden sign;Sent to ALANA who has REC'D

1. "Jazz Echo" Iris Sending to VINA
    2. "Witch's Thimble" Day Lily;Sending to MARGO

1. Persian Shield; Sent to JANINE who has REC'D

1. Large pack of misc. seeds; Sent to ALANA
    2. 2 recent issues of Garden Gate magazine;Sent to JANINE
    3. WSed Joe Pye Weed. Sent to KATIE

• kchd
    10 years ago

What cute pics of the chickies! Alana, cochins have always been some of my favorites. And buff orpingtons. Love their personalities.

Oh, I see that the conversation has deteriorated to talking about poop. I deal with crap all the time at work, and not just with my co-workers. It just comes with the territory of working with animals. Nothing phases me anymore when it comes to poop. But I do wear gloves! In fact, working with wildlife presents it's own unique, poopie challenges when we're out doing field work in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes, just a *bush* is a poopin' luxury. Not to mention when we conduct observations from small blinds for 16 hrs and you have your very own "honey bucket." We stay in the blinds all day so we don't disturb the nesting birds. Now that's dedication!

My yard sale item from Margo showed up yesterday! The water garden book is awesome! We will have to compare notes as we work on these projects, Margo. By the way, I have some papyrus seeds if you want some to put in your pond. No idea what it's cold hardiness is, tho... Margo also sent a funny little bobbing flower that is solar powered. LoL, this will have to sit on the dash of the car.

My yard sale metal botanical plant tags arrived from Janine, too. Wow, these are super indestructible! I know what you mean, Janine, about sunlight fading sharpie marker. I've started using paint pens to write on my tags these days. Seems to last much longer. Pencil works well on the little plastic tags, as well.

Can't wait to see the joepye weed, Shirley! You know how I love those natives :) BTW, I have newly acquired Monarda didyma plants, and my Monarda fistulosa is blooming this year. If you want seed, I'll save you some. I even discovered a volunteer species of Monarda that I have never planted myself, that has popped up in the flowerbeds: M. punctata. Winning!!!

This weekend, I'll be prepping my plants to mail out on Monday. I need to wash off the roots and let them air dry before packing them up. It's been a crazy week at work. Our field station has gained another area of wildlife to work in - - feral hogs 0_o We've now trapped 12 of the little nasties and have them in captivity, ready to start a disease trial on Tuesday. Now *there's* some nasty poop for you!

Katie

• sandlapper_rose
    10 years ago

Hi, everyone. What a great yard sale! I just read through all the posts. Nothing but rain here, but that's okay. I am still only going outside now and then and doing lots of sitting and keeping my feet up. After the hospital some more issues came up so I am dealing with all that. It sounds like my surgery won't be before September as slowly as everything is getting scheduled. Likely to be quite awhile before I feel back to my normal self.
    Vina, so sorry to read about Boogie. I still miss my 33 year old horse who died early in 2012. My new horse is beautiful, but not like my old friend. So glad the baby chicks were okay. I can't remember who has them. Another day when the typing is taking forever so I'll stop for now.
    Laughing about the poop discussion...
    Jeanne

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Jeanne, great to hear from you! Missed you this month!

Katie, I had forgotten that you work in or with bird poop. And I think you should have stayed with that, because, yes, the hog poop is infinitely worse. They're starting to have a real problem with wild hogs, back in western PA. My son has seen lots of sign (probably poop!),in the past couple of years, but hasn't seen any hogs yet. He had to go to Florida to hunt them, PA doesn't allow it yet.

Janine, Merry is a beautiful cat! Have you read anything about the cat poop/disease thing that's going around? No, seriously, folks, I've read several articles in the past few days.

I should harvest seeds from my Monarda plants, but haven't done so yet. Need to research and find out what the seeds look like. But if I am not successful, then yes, Katie, I'll take some seeds! Oh BTW, the phlox is starting to bloom! I'll post pics when it does.

And Margo, how did your Gaillardia do this year? Out of 5 kinds of seeds that I planted, I've got two kinds left. One died and the squirrels nailed two of them. Tokajer is one that is doing okay. Neither one is very big yet.

William and Kate haven't had the baby yet. Hope it's a girl and hope they name it Elizabeth.

Heidi, I love hearing about the neat gardening stuff you do!

Alana, the tagetes Red Marietta seeds that you sent me are now beautiful little plants with lots of blooms!

Off to bed!
    Shirley!

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

I love Buff Orpingtons too. They are so gentle and sweet. I have a hen named Hannah that is getting quite old but she still lays an egg two or three times a week, bless her heart.

Shirley, harvest your Monarda seed heads when they turn completely brown and dry. Hold the seed heads between your thumb and forefinger upside down over a container and roll back and forth to loosen the seeds and they will fall into the container.

Chicks are growing. When they get a little bigger I'll post an updated photo.

I'll be mailing the rest of my yard sale items on Monday.

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Alana, I'm going to try it this fall. And while I was putzing around outside today, I found my Fuller's Teasel plants, thought they died, but no, there they are, AND some very tiny Lemon Bee Balm plants. Forgot all about these two and they were kind of hidden away, but growing, still in their containers! Need to get them potted up. Pleased about both, but especially the Fuller's Teasel. It is such an elegant plant!

Wanted to share this picture. I've been seeing lots of little blue dragonflies, and then today this fellow came roaring in! He is huge! and quite pretty!

Talk to ya all tomorrow!
    Shirley!

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

Pretty fellow, Shirley.
    I got Janine's envelope of seeds today-already planning for next spring, lol.
    Thanks Janine.
    Alana

• smitties
    10 years ago

Great picture Shirley.

Today was the shower for my daughter in law. She had to fly in from Texas so it was held earlier in her pregnancy. She is due October 21st. Today was also reveal day and we are going to be grandparents to a little boy. At this time, the name chosen is Braydon Woodruff Smith. I can't wait til this little guy enters this world. What a blessing.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Today is also my 34th wedding anniversary. We just got back from our anniversary dinner and after such a busy day, I am tired!!!

Tomorrow is gardening day for me and I am looking forward to it. Margo

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A blessing indeed, Margo! I really like the name!
    Happy Anniversary!
    Shirley!

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

Congratulations Margo! There are several Braydon's in my circle of family and friends, but nary a Woodruff.

Vina and Heidi,
    Your plants are ready for the MMan to pick up. I hope they don't melt. The plants I mean. The mailman has AC in the cab of his truck.

Happy Monday.

• kchd
    10 years ago

Gorgeous dragonfly, Shirley! They are some of my favorite insects. I always consider it a real treat when they land on me. They are so fearless!

And, I got your box of joepye weed today. Oh boy, did the postal service have their way with that package. Fortunately, the plant was not really wilted and the roots looked really good. It's all potted up and will enjoy some pampering over the next few weeks to help it adjust to its new surroundings. LoL

Margo, I dropped your box off at the PO today (you should have gotten an email with the DC#). Vina, yours is packed up and will be mailed tomorrow.

Katie

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good Grief, Katie! Altho I have to say, I'm glad it's not any worse! I'm also glad the plants weren't damaged. When I went to pack them up, I took the clump out of the milk jug, and it fit right in the box. Never thinking about soil compaction, I wrapped it all up, as it was and shipped it out. Should have shaken the soil off. Sure hope they work out for you!

Been doing a little research on dragonflies and I think that one is a Blue Dasher! And the little blue ones might be damsel flies. Oh great, something else to chase around the gardens!

Alana, if your weather is as hot as ours, the Mman will need that AC! It was 93 here today!

My friend Kathy is here for a week. We've been talking non stop for two days now! Good times!

I'll be back on tomorrow with an update,
    Shirley!

• flowergirl34
    10 years ago

Evening Everyone! Sorry I haven't caught up on all the posts...

Billy had his 5th Birthday party on Saturday. :) He's getting so big! Can't believe it!!

Anyhoo...It is SO HOT! here. I haven't dug any iris, and I'm a little afraid to mail this week. Sunday, supposedly the humidity is going to decrease. Heidi, Shirley, hope your okay with me mailing on the 22nd :) Just don't want you to get mush...eww!

Stay Cool Everyone!!
    vina :)

ps. Billy's fish tank birthday cake...I made it :)

• flowergirl34
    10 years ago

Heidi! Lordy I'm so SORRY! I totally forgot to mention that your garden flag arrived Saturday :)

What a treat to get a present at your kiddo's party :)

THANKS SO MUCH! We hung it in the garden yesterday. I'll take a pic and post this week :)

I just love how easy it is to post pictures on here now, don't ya'll?

Have a great night!
    vina

• jaynine
    10 years ago

Mmmmm....cake!
    Shirley, got your package yesterday. Thank you!!

• kchd
    10 years ago

Nice cake, Vina! I especially love the twizzler octopus. BTW, your box went out today. The USPS website should have sent you an email notification with the DC #.

Shirley, here's a little native fly getting nectar from the NE Aster you sent to me last year. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite flowers!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looks great, Katie! Mine are about 5 foot tall, no blooms yet, and some got a little bent over in the severe T-storm we had today. I have Common Sneezeweed planted right in front of them and they are just about as tall. I love, love, love the dark lavender color of the NEs!

Margo, did you get rain today?

Great cake, Vina! How creative you are! And the 22nd is fine with me, or whenever you can, we have until the end of the month to mail out!

Janine, thanks for posting, hope your package was in better shape than Katie's!

And as promised, here's an update!
    1. Ten metal botanical labels; Sent to KATIE who has REC'D
    3. Ten packs of seeds; Sent to ALANA who has REC'D

2. Water gardening book; Sent to Katie who has REC'D

2. Small garden flag; Sending to VINA who has REC'D

1. "Jazz Echo" Iris Sent to VINA
    2. "Witch's Thimble" Day Lily;Sent to MARGO

1. Large pack of misc. seeds; Sent to ALANA
    2. 2 recent issues of Garden Gate magazine;Sent to JANINE who has REC'D
    3. WSed Joe Pye Weed. Sent to KATIE who has REC'D

Great Job, Ladies, this swap really went well. We're almost done!

And, I wanted to share this picture; Kathy and I went out to State Park tonight, and this little guy posed for me. It's a swallow, not sure if it is a cliff swallow or a barn swallow. Pretty bird tho!

Have a great day tomorrow,
    Shirley!

10 years ago

For those of you who are prayer warriors, I have a job interview tomorrow. It's for a part-time position as a chaplain at a beef rendering plant. I passed the first interview today and they called back after 3 hours and apologized and asked if I could come back tomorrow (Wed) at 10 a.m.. I'm so excited. This is right up my alley...encouraging people and doing ministry. It's a rather non-traditional location, but hey. Lots of muslims, a few Buddhists and a few agnostics. English, Spanish and Arabic (Somalia, Sudan, East Africa). Very diverse work place.
    Thank you.
    Heidi

• smitties
    10 years ago

Good luck Heidi.

Vina, cute cake and I bet Billy loved it.

Shirley, no rain for us. We were up visiting my mother today and saw the storm that passed through the Monroe area on our way home. We missed it though. I am back to watering and since it is so hot, twice a day.

Katie, most probably the box will arrive tomorrow or Thursday. This was a great swap and want to thank Shirley again for hosting.

Margo

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Praying for you, Heidi, you would be GREAT at something like this, with all your energy and enthusiasm. Good Luck!

Margo, that storm came up very suddenly and really poured, but did nothing to the humidity. Still very hot and muggy here.

Hey, have a great day!
    Shirley!

10 years ago

2nd interview went well. Found plastic fence to finish off around my flowers. Went to 4 stores in 3 towns! Who knew!?
    Love all those pics on here!
    Heidi

• l1oness
    10 years ago

Good luck Heidi! I love to hear positive news! :)
    All the pictures look great. I got excited today as my cherry tomatoes are starting to ripen - woot!

Mandy

• smitties
    10 years ago

Received my plants from Katie today. (Seeds too). Thank you Katie. Their little feet are soaking as we speak and they will be in their new home tomorrow. It is so hot, I have to water twice a day. :(

Margo

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

My seeds from Shirley came. Thanks a bunch,
    Alana

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting, Alana and Margo!
    We're off on a little day trip to find lighthouses, I'll be back tomorrow sometime!
    Heidi, let us know about the job!
    Shirley!

• flowergirl34
    10 years ago

Afternoon!

Alana and Katie, the Strutters Ball and Jazz Echo arrived! The daylily is soaking and they are both going in the ground this evening. 95 here today! They both arrived in super condition! THANKS SO MUCH!!

Mine will be going out on Monday. Shirley, didn't know about your 'bad' luck with red bee balm, but I have some Jacob Kline you could give a try?

I also have a red clump that was red last year and this year its WHITE! Can anyone tell me why bee balm would change color? This is very weird! It's not a new clump that grew over an older clump. I've never had white bee balm anywhere in the yard...this year big clump...not that I'm complaining :) it looks really great where it is in with my Alaska Daisies. Hope it stays.

Billy did like his cake. He's been on a fish kick lately and got all new fish for his fish tank for his birthday :) He was so excited.

Went hiking with the kids down by Ithaca. Went to Taughannock Falls. It was huge! Had a great time!

10 years ago

Alana, the bee balm arrived today. It arrived in great shape. It's a bit cooler this week and today we have a breeze. It's only reaching the low 90s today. I'll plant it tonight. I'll love it whatever color it is. I don't have pink OR white so now I'll have one. Maybe it will be one of those magic bee balms like the previous post--changing colors according to it's mood. Maybe there's a bee balm fairy that has to sprinkle color on it at night while we're sleeping. ha
    What a fun swap this has been.
    Heidi

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, just wanted to check in. Just got back from a lighthouse chase, up on the "Thumb", got all 4 of the land lights!
    Vina, we were at Taughannock, two years ago, it is Beautiful!!
    Talk to ya all later!
    Shirley!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's an update, Ladies!

1. Ten metal botanical labels; Sent to KATIE who has REC'D
    3. Ten packs of seeds; Sent to ALANA who has REC'D

2. Water gardening book; Sent to Katie who has REC'D

2. Small garden flag; Sending to VINA who has REC'D

1. "Jazz Echo" Iris Sent to VINA who has REC'D
    2. "Witch's Thimble" Day Lily;Sent to MARGO who has REC'D
    3. "Avis Jeanne" Day Lily; Also to MARGO REC'D

2. Fragrant Corkscrew Vine; Sending to HEIDI who has REC'D
    3. "Strutter's Ball" Day Lily. Sending to VINA who has REC'D

1. Large pack of misc. seeds; Sent to ALANA who has REC'D
    2. 2 recent issues of Garden Gate magazine;Sent to JANINE who has REC'D
    3. WSed Joe Pye Weed. Sent to KATIE who has REC'D

Whooo Hooooo! This swap is just about finished! Good Grief!

Doing Laundry and wondering what to do with my gardens. We had bad storm last night and many of my plants are bent over from the wind and rain. Nothing broken, but it looks a real mess!

My friend Kathy went home today, had a great visit, sure will miss her!
    Talk to ya all later!
    Shirley!

10 years ago

I saw a butterfly today! I'm going back out to try and get a photo. I'm excited.
    Heidi

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heidi! Where is the Pic? What kind was it? Quit cooking dinner and post the picture!!

Here is one I got tonight. It is a blue of some sort, probably a Summer Azure, nectaring on Verbena Hastata. This little guy has a real problem with sitting still!
    Shirley!

• kchd
    10 years ago

Shirley, GREAT bird pic! You have yourself a barn swallow. You can tell by the long forked tail. Also, cliff swallows have a pale colored "collar" around their neck. Love the Verbena hastata pic, too!

This has been an awesome swap! I hope it becomes an annual tradition. Semi-annual would be fine with me, too!

• flowergirl34
    10 years ago

Happy Tuesday!!

I have finally mailed out my boxes yesterday afternoon, phew! Sorry Shirley and Heidi it took me so long. I hope you enjoy :)

Heidi's DC# 9505 5102 6277 3203 5255 82 It's suppose to arrive on Thursday.

Shirley's DC# 9505 5102 6277 3203 5252 54 Shirley, it should be there on Wednesday.

This has been an awesome swap. And if we can vote I'd like it to be annual/ semi-annual too :)

Love the Butterfly Picture!!

Have a great day!
    vina

ps. Took Taylor to a 4H show this last weekend. Guess who wants to join 4H? Anyone had any experience with it? I've heard nothing but terrific things :)

10 years ago

I have some of that verbena hastate and didn't know what it was. Thanks!
    Anyone else have really tall flowers this year? The daylilies around here have been very tall and the stems can't hold the flowers up when they bloom. My branching sunflowers are already 10' high. I can't imagine how tall they will get.
    Heidi

10 years ago

It was a buckeye, but my picture was blurry. I keep looking and have my camera ready just in case he comes back!
    Heidi

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heidi, my New England Asters are right around 5' tall. The hastate is 3-5'. It does seem like everything was taller this year.
    Haven't had a Buckeye yet. Haven't had too many varities of any butterfly yet. Not sure what the problem is. But I usually get more in late July, August and September.
    No need to apologize, Vina, we had until the end of the month. You are in no way late!
    Thanks for the info, Katie, I couldn't tell what it was.
    Back to work,
    Shirley!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, Everyone, I think this swap is officially over!

I got Vina's package today, and my "yard sale" Iris's, the Partridge Pea and a bonus daylily all arrived in great condition. I have places for all but the daylily, might pass that on to a friend who loves them. Vina, Thank You! I can hardly wait to see the Iris's bloom!

Jeanne is doing the August swap and I know she will have a great idea for it. She'll probably be on in a few days to let us know what's happening!

And I want to thank everyone who joined in this month, you made it fun, and yes, we should think about repeating the Yard Sale again, next summer!

Talk to ya all soon!
    Shirley!

• smitties
    10 years ago

Shirley, this was a great idea and it seems that everyone had fun. I too vote for doing it every year.

I did notice so many of my flowers were taller this year. My red bee balm was over three feet and then the wind knocked it all down. I need to get out there and clear out around it and set it up straight. Things are so busy around here that I am not getting much done outside. Doesn't take long for it to look a mess.

On a better note, I just finished my first cucumber of the year and it was delicious. This was only my second year of success with them and last year, I only got one. I am full this year so can't wait to try my hand at refrigerator pickles. My tomatoes are full as are my jalapeno and tomatillo. Gonna make some great salsa this year.

Thanks Shirley for another great hosting job. Margo

10 years ago

The Sky Hooks iris came today! Thank you so much. It rained, then quit. I put my clothes on the line so of course it's been dripping ever since! The iris came in great shape. Thank you! What fun this has been.
    Heidi

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shoot, Heidi, I'm sorry, I forgot that Vina sent to you too.

Could have looked at the list. DUH!!

In any event, the Yard Sale is REALLY over now!!

Margo, sounds so good! I wish I could grow veggies.

The heat, rain, heat cycle of July really did a number on my gardens. Butterfly gardens aren't supposed to be really super neat looking, but this is ridiculous (never could spell that word!). I've got the weekend planned to finish "R&R".

Heidi, did you get a clear shot of the Buckeye yet?

Talk to ya all later!
    Shirley!

• sandlapper_rose
    10 years ago

I'm glad everyone had fun swapping this month. Shirley always has wonderful ideas!
    I'll be posting the FOTESS swap for August in a few minutes so watch for it.
    Jeanne