Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flwrs4ever

update: july birthday buddies extravaganza

flwrs4ever
14 years ago

Hey everyone can you BELEIVE we are ALREADY into JULY !! Time sure is flying. Id like to thank you all for making this swap what it is..HUGS !

Ok, this month, is JULY AND DECEMBER BUDDIES !!!PLEASE, if there is NO WISH LIST, DO NOT MAIL...I cant chase them all down, and I get OH, I should of told you...after they receive...so PLEASE, no wish list, NO cards !!

Playintheyard July 11

Highaltransplant July 18

suecirish July 20

Patrushka December 1

margarita10 December 18

Riley17 December 27 divahether December 30

Birthday Buddies PLEASE POST A WISH LIST..ASAP !! ( ALSO , a lillte about yourself ) Thanks so much ! Dan, cake pleease ...I know you gotta do it :)

Comments (102)

• margarita10
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good Afternoon Birthday Buddies,

I received two birthday cards from:

Carol57078: Dahlia, Dahlia Mix, Cucumber Marketmore(favorite)

Dan_the_Mailman: Jack-O-Lantern Pumpkin, Tomato-Gallo Plum, Cucumber.

Thank you both for making my non-birthday a very nice birthday.

Cucumber seeds are all going into the garden today(I live in Georgia long growing season)

Margarita10

• suecirish
    14 years ago

Yay! I got my first two birthday cards today.

Dan sent a bag of mixed seeds - must be his famous Flower Mix. I'm honored. (I must be getting better at this, 'cause I even recognize and can identify some of the seeds!)
    Susan - taz56 sent a pretty card with a picture of daisies and geraniums, and inside were seeds for Spider Flower (one of my favorites), Love Lies Bleeding and Purple Passion Vine (is this the passiflora or the velvety purple-leafed houseplant?). These are just wonderful.

Thanks so much to both of you. The seeds and birthday wishes are very much appreciated.

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

I received a card today from Dan_the_mailman with Gomphrena globosa, Scabiosa 'Jet Black', Scabiosa 'Ace of Spaces' (on my wishlist, Yippee!), and red Astilbe. You know, I've never had much shade at this house, and just this spring I dug up a corner of the yard that is protected from the sun on two sides, and I was looking for something shade tolerant to plant there. The Astilbe will be perfect for that spot. Thank you for your kindness, Dan!

Bonnie

• taz56
    14 years ago

It's the passion vine! Happy b-day!
    Susan

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

You're all very welcome! It's always a lot of fun to share my seeds and make someone happy! Oh yeah! -Dan

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hello everyone
    yes I'm late again, but my cards are going in the mail today. so keep checking those mail boxes.
    Happy Birthday everyone
    michelle

• patrushka
    14 years ago

I received a card from dan_the_mailman with seeds for Coleus Black Dragon. Thank you Dan!!! I love Coleus and I always have a few pots of them on the deck stairs. I didn't have any seeds this year so I had to buy some plants. Now, I'll be able to winter/spring sow my own next year. : )

Thanks,
    Pat

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Here's a little something I just received from garden gate magazine. I subscribe to their e-notes, which are filled with a lot of helpful tips and such. And, since the wee marigolds are blooming and setting seed, I thought I'd share...

SAVING MARIGOLD SEEDS
    Did you know that you could save seeds from this years marigolds for next years flowers? Marigold seeds ripen easily on the plant if you dont deadhead all of the spent flowers. Once the heads turn brown, break a pod or two open. If the seeds are dark brown or black theyre ready to harvest. Gather heads from several plants to get a good blend of colors. Plus, its insurance in case one plants seeds are not viable.

Lay the pods in a dry place to continue to dry out it could take two weeks. If the seeds are too moist, theyll rot during storage. When theyre dry, break the heads open and gather the seeds. Store them in an airtight container in a cool, dark place until spring.

If you only grow one cultivar of marigold in your garden, it probably wont change much from the parent. Pollen from other marigolds in the area can create your own "hybrids." The color can change from the original, as can the height and spread. However, if you prefer a row of marigolds that all match perfectly, its best to buy seeds each year.

• playintheyard
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Got another envie from Dan the mailman today! I received red gerbera daisy and eyeball plant thank you so much. This is fun. My cards are ready to go and will be at the post office tomorrow so keep mailboxing!

Annette

• colcol
    14 years ago

Hello everyone, hope you all are enjoying July! I want to let you know I plan to send to 2 this month, but it's going to be next month when I get aroundtoit. We just got done with 9 relatives visiting for 4 days; work a few days, then off on an 8 day trip. I heard on the radio that the next 10 days are the hottest for us here according to history. my dear son is supposed to water my gardens, but I doubt he will. Maybe once if I'm lucky, and hopefully it'll rain. I'm not a happy camper about being gone 8 days. 5 is PLENTY for this time of year!!!! My delicate flowers need water about every 2 days in heat! My poor baby gourds are just starting to develop! They are so cute! I must remember to collect my poppy and columbine seeds BEFORE the trip!
    Anyway, happy birthdays to July & Decembereees!

• suecirish
    14 years ago

I got a nice card and note yesterday from Becky - proudgm_03. She sent seeds for Black-Eyed Susan Vine, which I grew this year for the first time and just loved. I'll be sure to use these next year. Thank you very much!

• divahethr
    14 years ago

I received a sweet card from Becky (Proudgm_03). Thank you so much! She sent me some Big Blue Hosta Seeds. Awesome. Thank you for thinking of me!

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

I too received a birthday card from Becky - proudgm_03 today! Mine had Velvet Queen Sunflower seeds. I wintersowed several kinds of sunflowers this year, but killed most of them when I planted them out. Next year, I will try direct sowing them. These sound lovely, and I can't wait to grow them! Thank you for the card and seeds!

Bonnie

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Hello! Happy Birthday to all the birthdays this month! I am late as usual! I sat out for May and June, mostly due to health issues but ready to do more now.
    Someone please send me the July addys and I'll be mailboxing soon!
    Melinda

• piksi_hk
    14 years ago

Hey Patrushka,

Thank you for the belated birthday card (different vases with flowers) and the seeds. None of these are growing in my garden but I hope to get them in this fall.

Happy December birthday to you, Pat.

Betsy

• suecirish
    14 years ago

A pretty card with a butterfly from playintheyard (Annette) today, filled with goodies. Wonderful Rue for the herb garden and the Swallowtails, and Poppies! YaY! California Poppies, orange Oriental Poppies and pink annual Poppies.

Thanks so much, Annette (my almost neighbor). I really love all of these.

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Hey, I got California Poppies today too, but mine came from Micyrey. She also sent some Strawflower seeds. Michelle, do you know if it is a mix of colors, or a solid color? That will just help me to know where to plant them next spring. Cute card! Thank you for the seeds!

Oh, I also got a cute little bumblebee card from Lisa/ishareflowers. She sent Miyashige White Daikon Radishes. The packet says plant in late summer for fall or early winter harvest, so I've still got time to plant them this year. Yippee!!! Thank you very much!

Bonnie

• flwrs4ever
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey everyone !! Sounds like some great mailboxing going on ! I have been scarce lately, sorry ! That fall did me in for a bit, and the kids being home, has kept me very busy, this is the last summer my daughter will be home so we have been very busy !!

I am going to post the August Month, so the buddies can post, and get the addresses out. I will be away the first two weeks...so If someone can help make sure people have addresses if for some reason they dont receive them, that would be great !!

I did have a game set to go..I apologize for not getting it posted.

I hope each of you are having a good summer !! How are your gardens ?? Id love to hear what you have growing, and any fun stories !

Happy Birthday to ALL of our Buddies ! Keep Mailboxing !

• riley17
    14 years ago

Thanks Michelle!(micyrey) I got a wonderful butterfly card, and a winter squash mix as well as a bean mix! Wonderful! I cant wait to try the squash and looking forward especially to the trail of tears beans!
    Thanks a bunch!
    Holly

• aphroditelaughs
    14 years ago

Hey everyone! I am so behind (as usual), but I'm still here! I will get my June and July/Decembers out soon, I promise! Maybe I can actually manage to send my August treats in August. We'll see.

Ellie

• suecirish
    14 years ago

I received a pretty card witha butterfly cutout from micyrey. Inside were seeds for Wonder Egg Plant, Blue Globe Thistle, Dayflower, Poppy mix, and Aquilegia 'Nora Barlow.'
    A very lovely selection for WS and planting next year, thanks so much!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Hello all!

Bonnie, I'm glad that you'll have time to plant the packet of radishes I sent you this year! Yoiur welcome.

Kym, I have more cards to go out but I misplaced the email with all the July addies, would you mind sending it again?

I hope all are well.

Lisa

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Kym, do you know how many birthdays we're going to have in August? I've already bought some b-day cards and was wondering if I had enough of them...

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

I received two more birthday cards in the mail today.

Playintheyard (Annette) sent a card with a beautiful red bloom on the front! Do you know what kind of flower that is? She included the following seeds - Spinach 'Baby's Leaf Hybrid', Eggplant 'Black Beauty', Squash 'Blue Kuri' (way cool!), and Gaillardia 'Razzle Dazzle'. Thank you so much!!!

Suecirish sent a cute card with Scabiosa 'Ace of Spades' and Oriental Poppy 'Beauty of Livermere'. Can't wait to wintersow these! Thank you!!!

BTW, I thought I had posted earlier that my July/Dec birthday cards went out today, but my post seems to be missing. So keep mailboxing everyone!

Bonnie

• riley17
    14 years ago

I got three cards today! This is sooo much fun! I'm having knee surgery number two in two weeks, and its kind of hard to do things on my crutches, which makes the cards and everything extra extra special! My mom has been mailboxing for me, so I can make sure I don't miss anything! : )

Today I got a beautiful card with flowers (peonies maybe?) and inside was lots of good stuff! Thai 5-star cucumber, Tennessee surprise tomato, rosemary, russian black tomato, and red golfball tomato. Wicked cool! Thanks Annette! (playintheyard)

Also got loofah gourds from Theresa (threas) Which is awesome because I used up all my seeds and I dont think they are going to grow enough to give me any! Thanks Theresa! Awesome card too, pretty bouquet on the front!

And Thanks Sue (suecirish)for the pretty card with a shooting star on it and the sweet corn early and often hybrid, yum! and the cilantro! That will come in handy when I try to make homemade salsa this fall!

Thanks a bunch everyone!
    Holly

• margarita10
    14 years ago

Hello All,

I received two more birthday cards:

proudgm_03 : Coleus(I'm trying to collect as many varieties as I can)

suecirish : Cornflower aka Mountain Bluet (blue is my favorite color how did you know?)
    Gerbera Daisy "Royal"

Thank you very much Beck & Sue for the wonderful seeds

Margarita10

• patrushka
    14 years ago

I received four lovely cards. Play in the yard sent Celosia Purple Flamingo, Blue Butterfly Plant, and Lantana. Annette, I think you meant for the last two to go to someone in a warmer zone than me. I am Zone 5. I will keep some to try and pass the rest on to someone farther south. Micyrey sent Feverfew, Giganteum Poppy, and Belamcanda chinensis 'Hello Yellow'. Suecirish sent Salpiglosis 'Chocolate Royale' and Joe Pye Weed 'Chocolate'. Threas sent Variegated Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate.

Thank you all so much! I can't wait to grow all of these. : ) Most of them are things I have never grown before. Mailboxing is so much fun!

I am playing catch up again. I have two more cards for June to still get out and some for July/December. I better get busy!

Thanks again,
    Pat

• suecirish
    14 years ago

Another birthday card today from Threas. And she sent a rooted start of Hardy Plumbago that was on my wish list. Thank you so much Theresa, this is just so wonderful and thoughtful.
    Sue

• threas
    14 years ago

I'm so glad everyone got their cards. You're all welcome, my pleasure! Sue, I hope the plumbago does well for you. I left the flowers on so you could see what they look like. I would remove most of the stem & leaves. It shows up late in the spring,you might think it's not coming back, but then......LOL

Theresa

• shropshire_lad
    14 years ago

Hi all! Haven't had a lot of time to post this month, but I hope all the July birthday babies had a great birthday and got lots of goodies in the mail! As for me, I am running behind and will finally be mailing to several July/Dec. people in the next day or two... so some of you may still be getting a surprise!

JJ

• divahethr
    14 years ago

I received 3 wonderful cards with seeds I am so thrilled but couldn't get online to say thank you!
    Suecirish sent salpiglossis painted tongue 'chocolate royale' and Sweetpea 'Lady Liberty Mix' thank you so much Sue!!! I wondered how the cactus did I haven't forgotten I'm so glad to hear that its doing great!! Awesome!

Threas aka Theresa sent me Angelica and aristochloa fimbriata OMG DUTCHMANS PIPE thank you so much mucho awesome!!!OMG!! U Rock!!!I am so thrilled!

Annette aka playintheyard sent me 3 awesome packets!!! red trumpet honeysuckle, eupatorium rugosum "chocolate" and heavenly blue morninglory!!! Thank you so much I had to laugh you don't know how many times I have tried to sneak some red honeysuckle snips rofl
    thank you so much, you three, for thinking of me I am so grateful! I had tears of joy!!

• colcol
    14 years ago

Hello! divahethr, sounds like you had some good fun! I hope the red trumpet honesyckle is a success for you, and you don't need to feel like a criminal to snip some :)
    I see lots of pretty hollyhocks around town and want so bad to go to the door and say ..... can I can I can I have some seeds...

Well, shophire lad, you are not alone. Mine haven't gone out yet either. We got back from our trip and the garden was still here! Amungst a multitute of weeds. I concentrated all my time before our trip on cleaning for company instead of weeding... And we got a great rain while gone. Besides great weeds, also came home to no internet service and a gosling hatched! I let my chickens set on some goose eggs. Another hatched today, so I'm very thankful the first one is not lonely! Had the man out to get me going with internet access and ... things are going good again! Hopefully Aug won't be quite as hectic as July!
    Anyway, hope to get the july bds in the mail soon.

• margarita10
    14 years ago

Good Morning All,

I have received another three birthday cards:
    Micyrey: Gypsophyla "Fairy Pink", Zinnia, Joe Pye Weed.
    Highalttransplat: Bells of Ireland(yahoo)Swiss Chard, Butterhead Lettuce.
    Threas:Peony double pink fragrant, Peony unknown

Thank you all for the beautiful cards and absolutely wonderfull seeds.

Margarita10

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Your welcome, Margarita!

I thought I was done mailboxing, but received another card today. It was a very funny card from Rhonda (Rbrady), and she sent Sunflower 'Autumn Beauty', and Zinnia 'Profusion Fire'. Thank you so much! I always plant annuals in front of the porch, and this year instead of Profusion Zinnias, I used a poppy that I thought was supposed to be about 12". They ended up closer to 24" and were leaning everywhere. Even though the blooms were pretty, they didn't belong at the front of the bed. Next spring, I'm switching back to the Zinnias there, they stay so neat and tidy, so the seeds you sent will definitely get planted! I actually planted Autumn Beauty Sunflowers this year, but killed them when I transplanted them. Next year, I'll try direct sowing them, so I am glad to have more seeds so that I can try them again. I appreciate your thoughtfulness!

Bonnie

• suecirish
    14 years ago

Today I got a card with a nice note from ishareflowers - Lisa. She sent a great selection of seeds that I am definitely going to try for winter sowing this year - Rudbeckia 'Green Wizard', Pasque flower 'Papageno', Oriental Poppy 'Princess Victoria Louise' (this one is beautiful) and Dianthus 'Spooky' (love these).

Thank you so much Lisa. They are all wonderful!
    Sue

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Sue, I'm glad that yoyu liked what I chose to send to you. The green wizard rudbeckia can be started now for blooms next year. I did mine that way and brought them inside near a bright window for the winter.I also winter sowed(?) some and they are less than 6" tall still.

I'm still waiting on an addy for playingintheyard.... can someone please send me her addy!!!!

Habe a great night
    Lisa

• shropshire_lad
    14 years ago

Hehe, Colcol, glad to hear I'm not the only one! And how cute about the goslings!!

• playintheyard
    14 years ago

Good Morning,

I recieved more cards last week.
    Becky-proudgm sent a cute frog card w/ petunia,dahlia,bb & hh. Thank you very much.

Betsy-piksihk ssent 'coral nymph' salvia I ws these this year and love them.Salvia red & Shasta Daisy.

I hope all of you are having a great summer so far!!

HAPPY B-DAY TO ALL THE AUGUST BABIES!

take care Annette

I ho

• suecirish
    14 years ago

Annette, did you get mine? I mailed it last Monday, and you're only 40 miles away!
    Sue

• margarita10
    14 years ago

Hi Gardening Buddies,

I am still receiving birthday surprises:

rbrady: Bells of Ireland
    Lettuce-May Queen, Big boston

chellflower: Columbine mix, Bachelor Buttons

Thank you both for the wonderful seeds and sharing with me

Margarita10

• riley17
    14 years ago

I got another couple of cards in the last few days!
    Thank you to Highalttransplant for the brussels sprouts and the dill,copper fennel, and garlic chives! Yum!!!(and possibly luffa seeds were from you?) They escaped and I couldnt remember who they came from.

and from piksi_hk I'm pretty sure you sent angled luffa gourd, stringless blue lake pole beans, and Amish snap peas!

Thanks!

• divahethr
    14 years ago

I received a sweet birthday card from Dorothy aka Dimples31312. Thank you so much for thinking of me!! She sent me bachelor buttons, clematis and blue shoofly!!! WOW Thank you Dorothy!!!

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

I got a card from JJ (shropshire_lad) with Hollyhock, Milkweed, Asters, and Auntie's Rose seeds in it. Thank you very much! Cute seed packets too!

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Oh, and I meant to ask you JJ, if you could tell me a little about Auntie's Rose?

Thanks!

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Wow, another card today! This one was from Dorothy (Dimples 31312), and it had Red Amaryllis, Broccoli Rabe, and Chamomile in it. Thank you so much! I've never grown Amaryllis before. Is it easy to start from seed? Guess I need to do a little research. Can't wait to try them!

Bonnie

• patrushka
    14 years ago

Wow!!! I received two cards last week and three more yesterday.

Rbrady sent Oriental Poppy Mix and Delphinium Fantasia Mix.

Highalttransplant sent Celosia Cockscomb Red Mix, Gaillardia 'Goblin', Yellow Marguerite,and Oriental Poppy Brilliant Red.

Dimples sent Montauk Daisy, Lady's Mantle, and Carrot Danvers Half Long.

shropshire_lad sent Hollyhock, Milkweed, Aster Tiger Paws Mix, and Auntie's Rose.

Colcol sent Russian Sage, Common Orange Poppy, Shirley Poppy Mixed Colors, California Poppy Orange, Zinnia Lilliput Mix, Red Corn Poppy, and some adorable seed packets.

Thank you all so much!!! I love everything and I can't wait to grow all these wonderful seeds.

Imagine, I was thinking of doing less winter sowing this year. LOL What was i thinking?

Thanks again everyone,
    Pat

• suecirish
    14 years ago

Yesterday another birthday card from Dorothy aka Dimples31312. She sent Shamrock Clover and Silver Money Plant. Thanks so much Dorothy - they're great!
    Sue

• margarita10
    14 years ago

Hello All,

I received another birthday card from Dorothy(Guyton, GA) and she sent:

Giant Red Leaf Spinach
    Swiss Chard "Bright Lights"

Thank you very much Dorothy these will probably go into my fall garden.

Margarita10

• dimples31312
    14 years ago

Bonnie...Amaryllis are pretty easy and can be WS'ed

Sorry I was late getting cards out.
    But I hope everyone enjoys thier seeds.

Dorothy

• dimples31312
    14 years ago

Bonnie...Amaryllis are pretty easy and can be WS'ed