Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
update: july birthday buddies extravaganza

Posted by flwrs4ever 7 R.I. (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 26, 09 at 19:33

Hey everyone can you BELEIVE we are ALREADY into JULY !! Time sure is flying. Id like to thank you all for making this swap what it is..HUGS !

Ok, this month, is JULY AND DECEMBER BUDDIES !!!PLEASE, if there is NO WISH LIST, DO NOT MAIL...I cant chase them all down, and I get OH, I should of told you...after they receive...so PLEASE, no wish list, NO cards !!

Happy Birthday July Pictures, Images and Photos

Playintheyard July 11

Highaltransplant July 18

suecirish July 20

Happy Birthday Pictures, Images and Photos

Patrushka December 1

margarita10 December 18

Riley17 December 27 divahether December 30

Birthday Buddies PLEASE POST A WISH LIST..ASAP !! ( ALSO , a lillte about yourself ) Thanks so much ! Dan, cake pleease ...I know you gotta do it :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: update: july birthday buddies extravaganza

Okay, I'll do it, even though I'm on vacation, and it's really too hot to do any baking. There was a bit of a mis-hap though. I had the July cake all done, and a couple of the neighborhood dogs decided to pay me a visit. This is what they did to the July birthday cake...
Birthday cake! Pictures, Images and Photos

(sigh)

So, I allowed Bump and Stella to chase the dogs out of the house, and I went back into the kitchen to bake another cake. It's not much, but I hope you all will like it enough that it'll carry you over for a few days...

Chocolate Birthday Cake Pictures, Images and Photos

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ALL OF YOU CELEBRATING IN JULY!!!
-Dan

o

Dan, when I saw that first picture, I thought "Hey, that's not fair!", but then I saw that chocolate frosting, and forgot all about those four-legged thieves!

I've really enjoyed this swap! It's fun to look through folks wishlists and try to find wishes that I can fill.

Since it is my birthday month this month, I'll share a little about myself. I'm a stay-at-home mother of three children - two boys 10 and 5, and a daughter who just turned 3. I'm originally from Tennessee, and we moved to Colorado about 9 years ago. I always dabbled at gardening, but didn't get serious about it until we moved to our current home three years ago. It was brand new, so it was a dirt yard. In the process of designing our landscape, I did a lot of research, which led me to GardenWeb. I cannot believe how much I have learned on the forums here! When I'm not on the Round Robin forum, I hang out at either the Wintersowing forum, or the Rocky Mountain Gardening forum.

A little about my garden. We live at an altitude of 5,650 ft., and average about 10" of percipitation per year, most of which falls as snow during the winter months, so it's what they call a high desert climate. There are mountains all around us, and we are on a mesa (high, flat ridge), so lots of wind exposure. I have a small vegetable garden, which I cram tons of stuff into, an herb bed, perennial beds, and tons of pots of annuals on the porch. My garden is strictly reds, oranges, and yellows, with a touch of white & chocolate here and there. Nothing pink, purple or blue.

So this brings me to my wishlist. I can't remember how many we were supposed to list, so forgive me if my list is too long.

Allium 'Moly' (yellow)
Berlandiera lyrata (Chocolate scented daisy) *** really want this one!
Chrysanthemum carinatum 'Sunset'
Dianthus 'Sooty' (or other dark red/black one)
Echium russicum (red)
Eschscholzia californica 'Red Chief', or any short yellow or red one
Eschscholzia caespitosa 'Tufted Poppy'
Gaillardia 'Red Plume' (annual)
Gazania 'Red Stripe', 'Yellow Flame' or 'Orange Flame'
Gerbera jamesonii - red, yellow, or orange
Glaucium grandiflorum (Horned Poppy - gorgeous orange color!)
Ipomopsis aggregata 'Scarlet Gilia'
Linum flavum 'Compactum' (Yellow Flax)
Lupinus regalis 'Gallery Yellow'
Nicotiana 'Hot Chocolate'
Pansy 'Padparadja" or other orange or yellow one
Papaver atlanticum 'Orange Sherbert'
Petunia - you guessed it, any red, yellow or orange one
Poppy 'Double Tangerine Gem' (or any perennial orange one)
Scabiosa 'Ace of Spades'
Strawflower - red, orange, or yellows, NO pink please
Sunflowers - autumn colors
Wallflower, English or Siberian
Zinnia 'Profusion Fire'
ANY of the peppers from my tradepage wishlist

Thank you to everyone that has stuck with this swap! I can't believe my month is finally here!

Bonnie

o

GEE WISH I had seen this swap earlier :) My Birthday is the 9TH Of July Turning the BIG 60 this year :) .
looks as if your all going to have fun :)
I'll Have to keep watch of you Dan Love the cake
you should have been a baker rather then a mailman :) But Then you can we call you Jack ???? Of all master of none :)))) .

Have a great Birthday to all .

susie

o

I have had lots of fun with this swap, trying to find something that will bring a birthday smile for everyone. Now I guess it's my turn, and I'm looking forward to going mailboxing for the month. In early July I usually sow some seeds for perennial seedlings that will be ready for planting out in the fall, so this is perfect timing.

A bit about me - I work full time as a social worker. I'm married to a wonderful DH and we've been together for 33 years. We have a blended family that has been together for so long, I think we all forget about the blended part. Five sons and their partners, with a total of 9 grandchildren and 3 step-grandchildren. Unfortunately they are spread out over a number of states, so we don't get to see them all as much as we'd like. We live in a suburban town, on a half-acre lot in an older residential neighborhood.

Both DH and I love gardening. We are a New England zone 6. He has a Rose collection and a Hosta collection, and an ornamental shrub garden. He loves gadgets and tools especially if they have a motor, so I have no problem getting him to use the mower/tractor or tiller. He is also very practical and likes to build things based on my crazy ideas - trellises, arbors, etc. He also builds bird houses.

My gardening focuses mainly on perennials and herbs. I have a Celtic Heritage Garden, a butterfly-bird-bee garden, an herb garden, two large cottage gardens and a small vegetable garden. I have been learning about medicinal plants and have just started growing a few for harvesting and drying this fall. I prefer the unusual, though color is never an issue for me. I get the greatest thrill just watching as the plants grow and go through their life cycle, to repeat again the following year.

So, enough about that...

I wish all my July birthday buddies a wonderful month, and a great month to all those December in July birthday buddies too. Thanks to Kym for being a great hostess for this swap and a good friend, and thanks to all of us who have continued the commitment to the Birthday Celebrations.

So here's my wish list. I tried not to make it too specific. I really will enjoy whatever I receive, but these would be extra special.

+ I have a Celtic Heritage Garden and I am always looking for plants that are either named something like Irish, Scottish, Welsh, English, Celtic or related like Leprechaun or Shamrock; or plants that are native to the British Isles. I have many of the more common plants, like Rudbeckia 'Irish Eyes', English Primrose and English Daisy, but I am always on the lookout for more additions to the collection.
+ Antirrhinum - Snapdragon - 'Celtic Copper'
+ Ceratostigma plumbaginoides - Leadwort
+ Cimicifuga racemosa - Bugbane
+ Clematis - 'Leprechaun' or would like a red-flowered variety
+ Clematis 'Rooguchi'
+ Corydalis elata - Blue corydalis
+ Corydalis lutea - Yellow Corydalis
+ Dierama pulcherrimum - Fairy Wand
+ Geranium himalayense - Himalayan Geranium - 'Irish Blue'
+ Marrubium cylleneum - Horehound
+ Meconopsis cambrica - Welsh Poppies
+ Oxalis
+ Oxytropis splendens - Showy Locoweed
+ Papaver - Poppies - any, annual or perennial
+ Primula scotica - Scottish Bird's-eye Primrose
+ Pulsatilla vulgaris - Pasque flower
+ Saxifraga umbrosa - aka London Pride, St. Patricks Cabbage, Whimsey
+ Spigelia marilandia - Indian Pinks
+ Thalictrum - Meadow Rue

Photobucket

Go raibh maith agaibh! [Thanks!]

Sue

o

Happy Birthday to all the July & December babies!!!!:)

o

Happy Birthday to all the July and December babies.

This is going to be a very special treat for me since my birthday is December 18 I rarely ever got a birthday present (a week before Christmas & 7 siblings.

A little about myself:

I have been gardening since I purchased my first home about 5 years ago. But didn't really know what I was doing until I found this great group of very generous gardeners. When I was young I killed every plant I touched. I have three children and seven beautiful grandchildren.

I am in zone 7/8 Atlanta, Georgia

Here is my wish list:

Tomato:
Erica d'Australie-Heirloom
Mexico Midget
Principe Bourgese
Reinsentraube

Peppers:
Sweet Pepper "Carmen"
any Lettuce, Swiss chard

Flowers:

Tuberose (really want this)
Bells of Ireland
Dahlia (any)
Peony (any)
Cornflower
Gerbera Jamesonii
Rudbeckia "Cherry Brandy"

The list is most likely too long. I will so appreciate anything you would like to send.

Thank you

Margarita10

o

Hi everyone,
Boy what a busy time of year! Always something to do out in the yard. Things are actually growing around here even though we have not seen much sun to speak of for about a month!! lol You should see the funky mushrooms I've got growing all over. lol

I will be 45 this year and have 3 kids 21,20,& 18. The youngest just graduated high school! What a relief!! haha. I moved home to my mothers 3 years ago and we both love gardening! We have lots of gardens some we share some are our own. Last year I found garden web and wintersowing, I can't begin to tell you how much I've learned. The round robin forum is one of my favorites along w/ seed saving & swapping. I have so many new plants thanks to you all and I want to thank everyone of you for your generosity and comradery.

I honestly would appreciate anything you want to send me. I hope to do some more spring sowing of perennials for next year w/ in the next few weeks. so any thing you think would work well for me hear in S.E. Mass would be great. Here are some things I know I want.

Campanula- got a 2cd year bloom last week, it is awesome.
must be 8 large blooms in 1 (and only 1)stalk

Green eyed Ruds- Irish Eyes,Prairie Sun

Crazy daisy (shasta daisy)

Perennial Salvia

Penstemon (also got 1 2cd year bloom last week its a pretty
pink color but down from the rain lol)

Any Shade garden stuff - coral bells, variegated Solomons
seal esp.

candy tuft

Torenia- new to us this year and I love them.

Thanks again Annette

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ALL JULY & DECEMBER BUDDIES!!!

o

Okay Sue and Annette, what kind of perennials seeds are you two sowing this month? You've both got me curious!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY EVERYONE!!!
-Dan

o

I can't believe it's July already! I still have cards to get in the mail for June.

I've been happily married to DH for 32 years. We have three sons, 27, 25, and 18. Our youngest also graduated last month.

I've been gardening since we purchased our first home almost 32 years ago. I discovered winter sowing early in 2006 and gardening is more fun than ever. I love it! DH even winter/spring sowed a container of hot peppers this year.

I have been enjoying participating in the birthday extravaganza. It's fun to see what I have to send and hearing what everyone receives.

Here is my list. It was really hard to come up with 25 things.

Anthemis tinctoria, Golden Marguerite
Astilbe
Berlandiera lyrata 'Chocolate Daisy'
Briza maxima
Celosia Flamingo Feathers
Centaurea montana
Centaurea macrocephala
Centranthus rubber
Cosmos atrosanguineus, Chocolate Cosmos
Dahlia
Delphinium
Digitalis grandiflora, Yellow Foxglove
Eupatorium rugosum, Chocolate Joe Pye Weed
Geum triflorum, Prairie Smoke
Gaillardia Goblin
Inula Goliath
Papaver Orientale, Oriental Poppy
Pennisetum glaucum, Purple Millet
Penstemon Scarlet Queen
Perovskia atriplicifolia , Russian Sage
Polygonum orientale, Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate
Salpiglossis Chocolate Royal, Painted Tongue or any Salpiglossis
Sisyrinchium montanum, Blue Eyed Grass
Tacca chantrieri, Bat Flower
Your favorite perennial

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JULY AND DECEMBER BABIES!!!

glitter graphics

Pat

o
RE: Oops!

LOL!!! Honestly, I proofread my post except for my list which I copied from MS Word.

It's Centranthus ruber, not rubber.

Pat

o

Hey everyone...today has been a very sad day for me..

Morgan, my friends little girl at the age of 7 passed away last night from her fight with a brain tumor. Thanks to all of you that kept her in your prayers, and sent cards.

Morgans nickname was ladybug...and in her honor, id like to ask you all to join me in releasing some ladybugs in her honor this Sunday July 5th..I am going to post a thread, if you plan on joining, would u please make a post, i am going to send it to her mom..to let her know her little angel will live on.

thanks to you all for your friendship..it means alot. Hug your littles ones a few extra times today, life is just too short.

o

Kym,

could you please send me the July b-day addies. I posted to you ladybug thread.

Lisa

o

HI Kym,
could you send me the July birthday addies?..thanks!

o

Me too. Thanks

Theresa

o

Hey Dan and All,
You wanted to know what perennials I will be sowing in July. I have done this for the past three years and it really works well here in So. New England. It is especially good for those plants that don't produce flowers the first year. By cheating a bit and getting the first year over and done in the fall, usually they will bloom the next year. Also works well for biennials like Hollyhocks and Sweet William. In the past I have been very successful with Veronica, Candy Tuft, Delphiniums, Hollyhock, Lupine, Evening Primrose.

Actually I'm surprising myself that I want to do more, after winter-sowing 132 containers, and still having about 40 or so to plant out. But I am definitely sowing some Purple Prairie Clover (Dalea purpurea), Jerusalem Sage (Phlomis russeliana) and Spanish Poppy (Papaver ruprifragum). The Prairie Clover and Phlomis are to provide food for the friendly flying critters and the Poppy is just because I love poppies! I might also do another batch of Hollyhocks - you can just never have too many, and I've gotten some really nice ones from trades here on GW.

o
RE: update: my july birthday

Oh! I almost forgot to mention, not that it really matters to me. Kym has my birthday listed as July 20, but it is actually July 30. (I share the day with Arnold Schwarzenegger, but he is a few years older.)

o

Sue, thanks for sharing that list of perennials. I tried winter-sowing this year for the first time, and it was a complete flop. Luckily, I live just a few miles from another GWer, and after talking with her, have a few ideas of things to do differently this year. It was good to read about you starting your perennials right now for next year, so I think I'm going to try that out too. It'll be nice to see the seedlings growing this summer!

Kym, that was sad news about Morgan. Extra hugs for you and your friend today! I don't have kids to hug, but I'm going to definitely be giving Bump and Stella some extra ones today! I don't like to think about outliving them, but I know I will. That's sad to think about because they really have become my "kids", but it would be worse I think if they had to outlive me. I know people would take care of them, but not like me!

And lastly, can I get a copy of that address list for our birthday kids this month? I'm seeing a few things I have on their wish lists...

Everyone take care!
-Dan

o

Sue,Thanks for that info! I WSed hollyhocks yr. before last and the leaves got huge in spring,thru summer, they got weird & never came back this spring to bloom. I'm gonna try your method. Do you still use containers w/lids?

Theresa

o

Very sorry to hear about Morgan.

Oh starting some July hollyhocks, sweet william, delphium, poppies! sounds absolutely wonderful! Plant them when their roots start oooozing out? I have been wondering about doing this!

When you have a chance, please send the july/Dec addies, please.

o

I don't use containers with lids. Too hot usually and would cook the plants. I usually start them in small pots or re-use the small cell packs that annuals come in. After I sow the seeds, I cover with a piece of clear plastic wrap and leave them outside in an area that gets bright shade. I keep them in a tray so they can be watered from the bottom. Once the seeds germinate and the sprouts are showing, remove the plastic wrap. Then just let them grow. You can move them into an area with a bit of sun, but while they are still small they can burn easily. As a rule I plant them out between late Sept and early Oct to give the roots enough time to settle in. I would suggest planting Hollyhocks the earliest as they can be a bit more finicky. They can all be planted as soon as they have their true leaves, but I like them to get a bit bigger than that.

Here are some new Sweet William sprouts last July.

From Garden

Here's a spring return of a Delph that I grew the previous summer.

From Garden

And some Dianthus 'Rainbow Loveliness' that was started the previous year.
From Garden

o

Kim,
Please email me the july/december address's.

Thanks
Andrea

o

• Posted by rbrady 5/Eastern Ia (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 3, 09 at 22:41

Happy Birthday all you July and December birthday babies!!! Hope you have a great month!

Hi Kym-sorry to hear about Morgan. Send my condolences to the family. My heart goes out to you.

Rhonda

o

Kym, I'm so sorry to hear about Morgan. That's so sad, I will keep the family in my prayers.

Happy Birthday to everyone else whose Birthday is being celebrated this month! Happy mailboxing! I cant wait! : )

Wow, this feels really weird to be thinking about my December B-day already, haha! Exciting though!

A little about me... Well, I will be 21 two days after Christmas. (That's why I'm named Holly):) And I want to be a stay at home mom someday and a homesteader. I have celiac disease, which means I have to stay away from anything with gluten in it. I have had it since I was sixteen and contrary to what you hear, it really isn't so bad! : )My mama can make anything gluten free.
I like to sew, I'm just learning though. Cooking I like a lot more now that I can garden and cook with stuff I grow. I'm being baptized this summer with my grandma, so I'm really excited about that. Hopefully I'll be able to manage it on my crutches! Haha, I can just imagine it!
Dan I love looking at your cakes, this months is especially cool! Do you really make those?

And for my wish list, well its short. : )

Patty pan squash
spaghetti squash
white pumpkins
Cinderella pumpkins
herbs- anything except basil : )
Beans: Louisiana Purple Pod, Musica, Duet, Dragon's Tongue,
fortex, any good dry soup beans too, and any kind you can think of that you think are great.
Any heirloom veggies! I want to try new kinds of everything!
(I have no vine tomatoes, but I would love to try some)
Luffas
Man I thought I didn't have a big wish list but it keeps growing! No pun intended, haha (sorry lol)
And corn, don't let me forget corn, I like early golden bantam, but whatever you like best I would like to try!
: )

I've been on a bean and herb kick this year and I already have a ton of basil, but anything else would be appreciated! (Anything that grows in zone 5 please nothing invasive) That's all I can think of right now. I'm going to go get some sleep, I'm acting way too goofy. : )
Thanks Everyone!

o

Can I add Brussels sprouts to that too please? I saw them on a veggie forum post and thought they looked good.

o

Kym, I'm so sorry to hear about Morgan. My heart goes out to you and to her family.

I received the July/December addresses. My zip code is listed incorrectly. It should be 46310.

Pat

o

I really am sorry to hear about Morgan. It made me hug everyone a little bit extra and count my blessings.

After saying that it's hard to follow with anything. So I'll just go. I'm a military transplant in VA from NY. I'm married to a wonderful man. I have 4 children 2 are grown. Soon to be a gramma. I work and so many people are getting laid off and do not have jobs so I'll just leave it at that. Gardening keeps me sane I probably need to garden a little bit more...My goal is to get rid of all the grass. I like to shop for plant bargains and can fill up my husbands truck for about 20 bucks on a good day. I really hope he doesn't read this lol. Because if he knew some of the stuff I have put back there...like horse gold lol.
I think he should be glad I'm buying plants and not purses!!
My gardens are a work in progress and never finished. I'm always adding sand and compost and weeding and putting in plants and taking them out. I just recently started harvesting blueberries and raspberries. Which I had to fight the birds for the blueberries. I like to go into the woods and look for native plants in their natural setting. Sometimes it's hard to find woods to go into. I recently found wild ginger I have seen it for sale but never in the wild I was kind of thrilled! Anyway I'm a rogue gardener I like pushing envelopes and trying new things. Thank you for reading!
I really am not picky and couldn't really think much
1. angelica herb
2. cup and saucer vine cobaea scandens
3. mina lobata
4. alstroemeria
5. dioscorea villosa wild yam root
6. osmanthus fragrans tea olive
7. tibouchina
8. anything with chocolate in the name
9. any mints
10. anything patriotic ...flags, stars and stripes, military, red white and blue, american or similar in the name
11. any perennial vine dutchmans pipe, pea vine not picky
12 can't think of anything lol
13 end of the list lol
14. wait one more anything with virginiana, virginica, virginicum etc in the name
15. thank you

o

Wow, am I to understand it that there are no August-November b-days?? Do we send to the December babies now?
And a very happy b-day to everyone in July!!!

JJ

o

Once again, I'm running late on the Birthday Page, but it's up now and ready for your convenience. Thank you to everyone for getting your wish lists posted so soon!

I'm sorry to hear the awful news, Kym. I don't know what else to say. That's awful.

Dan, thanks for remaking the cake! I also loved the pictures of you making the pancakes that you posted before. You're just a wonderful asset here!

I love reading all the "about me" posts. It's very nice to feel like I'm getting to know some of you a bit more.

Now, everyone (mostly talking to myself here) please check out the page and get back to Kym on who you're going to send to. :-)

Blessings,
Angela

Here is a link that might be useful: July & December Birthday Wish Lists

o

shropshire_lad, I am sure there are Birthdays August-November. : ) The reason, as I understand it, that we are doing the December ones now is because December would get too crowded with the December babies and the Secret Santa Swap, which Kym also hosts.
Holly

o

Holly, you're exactly right! Kym set it up this way so this trade wouldn't interfere with the Secret Santas, and it allows the December kids to have a birthday celebration completely separate from the winter holidays.
JJ, there are plenty of birthdays from August through November to celebrate... hehehe. Mine being one of them!

***looking forward to September mailboxing!!!***

o

Hehe! Glad to hear there are more birthdays in the months ahead...Duh! I don't know what I was thinking. I guess seeing the "December birthdays" now kinda threw me off...Makes sense to do the December ones now, though! Thanks.
JJ

o

I received a card from proudgm-03 with some wonderful seeds, dahlia seeds and hollyhock peaches and dreams. Thanks so very much, Carol

o

hello
I didn't get the address for this month, could someone please forward them to me(rember I changed my e-mail last month, the correct one is on my trade page)
thanks
michelle

o

So can I FINALLY SAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY MONTH TO EVERYONE? NOW???

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MONTH TO EVERYONE BOTH JULY AND DECEMBER BABIES!!!

Michelle, I will forward it to you in a sec.

:) Fran

o

Thanks Fran! : )
Hey Dan,
I was always wondering if you really make those cakes and all the decorations that go on them? Where did you learn to bake like that? I think its really neat. : )
Holly

o

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PLAYINTHEYARD!!!

glitter graphics

Dan, I love both of the cakes!!! Our Jasmine is a 13 year old Lab/Dalmatian mix. That first pic reminds me of her. As for the second one, I love chocolate!!!

Pat

o

Have a great Birthday, Playintheyard!
Photobucket

o

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Playintheyard

Glitter Graphics

o

Happy birthday playintheyard!!!!

o

Yippee, I received my first birthday card today! Thank you Taz56/Susan for the Love Lies Bleeding, Red Mandavilla, and Spider Flower (Is that the same thing as Cleome?) These are all new to me, so I look forward to trying them, and I appreciate you thinking of me.

Bonnie

o
Hi! Bonnie!

You are very welcome!
Yes it is cleome!
Happy Birthday!
Susan

o

I got my first package in the mail today!!!!
A HUGE thank you to Kim (plant-one-on-me) for the seeds and the card!
I got some really cool heirlooms: purple peru corn, aunt mollys ground cherry, double yield cucumber, and black aztec corn. Then also, scarlet runner beans, fortex beans, dragons tongue beans, pattypan squash and cowpeas. I don't know if those last ones are all heirlooms or not, but I asked for them and I'm sooo happy!!! Thanks Kim!!!
PS. Do you by any chance know the name of the pattypan squash you sent? I'm just curious, its ok if you don't know.
: ) Thanks again!!

o

Hello! Wishing the july & Dec BDs a great month! This has been my most hectic month yet, so thot I better get on here before its GONE! Well, I am curious -- what is some of your most hectic month?

o

riley17,

I am so glad your package made it to you so quickly. Sorry I don't know the name of the patty pan squash other than "green". This was a new veggie for me this year and I absolutely love it! I pick them very small, cut into 1/4's and sautee with some olive oil, garlic, chives and herbs...yum!!! I thought it would be a squash that would climb a trellis but it looks just like the zucchini plant so can plan on a different planting (and more space) next year. Then again...the pattypan and zucchini are great together also :-)

The scarlet runner beans, fortex and dragon tongue beans are all OP veggies...they will come back the same the following year so you can save the seeds as well as the heirlooms.

I love it when someone asks for veggies as this is my passion in gardening, although, it looks like I need more flower beds from all the iris I recently got in a swap lol. Kim

o

Oh cool! Its ok, I was mostly wondering whether it was yellow or white, lol. I never heard of green. Good to know about the beans, yes veggie garden is my passion also! I may have let the flower gardens get a little neglected this year...OOPS! lol! Oh well, theres always next year.

o

Hey All! I just wanted to let you know I got some envies out yesterday for a few of our birthday kids, so the mailboxing isn't done just yet! LOL! I wasn't able to fill as many birthday wishes this month, which tells me I need to get into some more seed trading. Can't let the seed box get empty, now, can we?

I have a question for you veggie gardeners. What is the best type of broccoli to grow? I planted some this year, and there never seems to be enough "treetops" to pick. I completely missed the first picking, thinking they'd need a few days to get bigger. That's when I found out it took only 4-5 days to go from florets to flowering. I've got a bunch of seed coming on now, so I guess that's a good thing, right? Anyway, what type of broccoli is it that's offered up in the grocery stores with those huge heads? Mine were all about an inch across, if that much. Help!

-Dan

o

Wishing the July babies a big Happy Birthday!
Hope you get many, many surprises in the mail.

Betsy

o

Hi! just wondering if anyone is getting there
b-day cards from me, I mailed them out over
a week now!
Thanks!
Susan

o

Good morning all,

I have received a couple of b-day cards thank you!

Susan-Taz56 sent spider flower and LLB (it arrived yes.) Thank you I grew LLb for the first time this year and really love them. I have them in several different spots. A rabbit got to a few but. the rest are doing well about a foot high and already "bleeding".

Carol157078 sent 2 packs of Dalia's which I love and ws this year. Great germination on them but that stupid rabbit was around again. They are all growing back. Also Delphs. I will be SS them this weekend. I also ws these this year. they look o.k. some bug I cant find is doing a number on them.

I summer sowed about 14 things 2 weeks ago. I have germ. in almost all. 2Rose champ., clematis,BE Susan's,2 HH, Aster, more lupines, Fennel and more delphs. Dan and everyone who has not ws. this method really works wonderful. I've had great success. As soon as I can myself organized I'll post pics of all the great plants I've raised.

Happy B-day to all the other buddies! I plan on getting my cards out Mon. night.

Thanks again,

Annette

o

I got a card today!! Thanks Dan!!!
I recieved lemon balm, chamomile, oregano, and salsify! Thanks!!
I have a recipe for oyster stuffing when I make roast chicken, but I dont eat oysters(gross and slimy), so maybe I can use the salsify in the recipe instead! I think I heard the root is supposed to taste like oysters. Hmmm...off to do some research!
Thanks Dan!!
oh and cant wait to make chamomile tea either!

o

No birthday cards today, but I had a great birthday anyway! My sister and I went to a place called Grand Mesa National Forest, which has 300 lakes and is at over 10,000 ft. elevation. Got lots of wildflower pics, which I will try to post a few when I get a chance to upload them to Photobucket. Awesome views up there too! Just an amazing place to see if you are ever in western Colorado.

Oh, and tomorrow I get presents and a cake from DH and the kids. Yippee!!!

Bonnie

o

It is so cool to see the reaction when I'm able to gift someone with some seeds they like!

On another note, the sun is shining this morning after a couple of days of much-needed rain hereabouts, so that means I'll be going cherry-picking later this afternoon! Yay!

o

Good Afternoon Birthday Buddies,

I received two birthday cards from:

Carol57078: Dahlia, Dahlia Mix, Cucumber Marketmore(favorite)

Dan_the_Mailman: Jack-O-Lantern Pumpkin, Tomato-Gallo Plum, Cucumber.

Thank you both for making my non-birthday a very nice birthday.

Cucumber seeds are all going into the garden today(I live in Georgia long growing season)

Margarita10

o

Yay! I got my first two birthday cards today.

Dan sent a bag of mixed seeds - must be his famous Flower Mix. I'm honored. (I must be getting better at this, 'cause I even recognize and can identify some of the seeds!)
Susan - taz56 sent a pretty card with a picture of daisies and geraniums, and inside were seeds for Spider Flower (one of my favorites), Love Lies Bleeding and Purple Passion Vine (is this the passiflora or the velvety purple-leafed houseplant?). These are just wonderful.

Thanks so much to both of you. The seeds and birthday wishes are very much appreciated.

o

I received a card today from Dan_the_mailman with Gomphrena globosa, Scabiosa 'Jet Black', Scabiosa 'Ace of Spaces' (on my wishlist, Yippee!), and red Astilbe. You know, I've never had much shade at this house, and just this spring I dug up a corner of the yard that is protected from the sun on two sides, and I was looking for something shade tolerant to plant there. The Astilbe will be perfect for that spot. Thank you for your kindness, Dan!

Bonnie

o
Sue!

It's the passion vine! Happy b-day!
Susan

o

You're all very welcome! It's always a lot of fun to share my seeds and make someone happy! Oh yeah! -Dan

o

hello everyone
yes I'm late again, but my cards are going in the mail today. so keep checking those mail boxes.
Happy Birthday everyone
michelle

o

I received a card from dan_the_mailman with seeds for Coleus Black Dragon. Thank you Dan!!! I love Coleus and I always have a few pots of them on the deck stairs. I didn't have any seeds this year so I had to buy some plants. Now, I'll be able to winter/spring sow my own next year. : )

Thanks,
Pat

o

Here's a little something I just received from garden gate magazine. I subscribe to their e-notes, which are filled with a lot of helpful tips and such. And, since the wee marigolds are blooming and setting seed, I thought I'd share...

SAVING MARIGOLD SEEDS
Did you know that you could save seeds from this years marigolds for next years flowers? Marigold seeds ripen easily on the plant if you dont deadhead all of the spent flowers. Once the heads turn brown, break a pod or two open. If the seeds are dark brown or black theyre ready to harvest. Gather heads from several plants to get a good blend of colors. Plus, its insurance in case one plants seeds are not viable.

Lay the pods in a dry place to continue to dry out it could take two weeks. If the seeds are too moist, theyll rot during storage. When theyre dry, break the heads open and gather the seeds. Store them in an airtight container in a cool, dark place until spring.

If you only grow one cultivar of marigold in your garden, it probably wont change much from the parent. Pollen from other marigolds in the area can create your own "hybrids." The color can change from the original, as can the height and spread. However, if you prefer a row of marigolds that all match perfectly, its best to buy seeds each year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a link to Garden Gate Magazine for y'all!

o

Hi everyone,
Got another envie from Dan the mailman today! I received red gerbera daisy and eyeball plant thank you so much. This is fun. My cards are ready to go and will be at the post office tomorrow so keep mailboxing!

Annette

o

Hello everyone, hope you all are enjoying July! I want to let you know I plan to send to 2 this month, but it's going to be next month when I get aroundtoit. We just got done with 9 relatives visiting for 4 days; work a few days, then off on an 8 day trip. I heard on the radio that the next 10 days are the hottest for us here according to history. my dear son is supposed to water my gardens, but I doubt he will. Maybe once if I'm lucky, and hopefully it'll rain. I'm not a happy camper about being gone 8 days. 5 is PLENTY for this time of year!!!! My delicate flowers need water about every 2 days in heat! My poor baby gourds are just starting to develop! They are so cute! I must remember to collect my poppy and columbine seeds BEFORE the trip!
Anyway, happy birthdays to July & Decembereees!

o

I got a nice card and note yesterday from Becky - proudgm_03. She sent seeds for Black-Eyed Susan Vine, which I grew this year for the first time and just loved. I'll be sure to use these next year. Thank you very much!

o

I received a sweet card from Becky (Proudgm_03). Thank you so much! She sent me some Big Blue Hosta Seeds. Awesome. Thank you for thinking of me!

o

I too received a birthday card from Becky - proudgm_03 today! Mine had Velvet Queen Sunflower seeds. I wintersowed several kinds of sunflowers this year, but killed most of them when I planted them out. Next year, I will try direct sowing them. These sound lovely, and I can't wait to grow them! Thank you for the card and seeds!

Bonnie

o

Hello! Happy Birthday to all the birthdays this month! I am late as usual! I sat out for May and June, mostly due to health issues but ready to do more now.
Someone please send me the July addys and I'll be mailboxing soon!
Melinda

o

Hey Patrushka,

Thank you for the belated birthday card (different vases with flowers) and the seeds. None of these are growing in my garden but I hope to get them in this fall.

Happy December birthday to you, Pat.

Betsy

o

A pretty card with a butterfly from playintheyard (Annette) today, filled with goodies. Wonderful Rue for the herb garden and the Swallowtails, and Poppies! YaY! California Poppies, orange Oriental Poppies and pink annual Poppies.

Thanks so much, Annette (my almost neighbor). I really love all of these.

o

Hey, I got California Poppies today too, but mine came from Micyrey. She also sent some Strawflower seeds. Michelle, do you know if it is a mix of colors, or a solid color? That will just help me to know where to plant them next spring. Cute card! Thank you for the seeds!

Oh, I also got a cute little bumblebee card from Lisa/ishareflowers. She sent Miyashige White Daikon Radishes. The packet says plant in late summer for fall or early winter harvest, so I've still got time to plant them this year. Yippee!!! Thank you very much!

Bonnie

o

Hey everyone !! Sounds like some great mailboxing going on ! I have been scarce lately, sorry ! That fall did me in for a bit, and the kids being home, has kept me very busy, this is the last summer my daughter will be home so we have been very busy !!

I am going to post the August Month, so the buddies can post, and get the addresses out. I will be away the first two weeks...so If someone can help make sure people have addresses if for some reason they dont receive them, that would be great !!

I did have a game set to go..I apologize for not getting it posted.

I hope each of you are having a good summer !! How are your gardens ?? Id love to hear what you have growing, and any fun stories !

Happy Birthday to ALL of our Buddies ! Keep Mailboxing !

o

Thanks Michelle!(micyrey) I got a wonderful butterfly card, and a winter squash mix as well as a bean mix! Wonderful! I cant wait to try the squash and looking forward especially to the trail of tears beans!
Thanks a bunch!
Holly

o

Hey everyone! I am so behind (as usual), but I'm still here! I will get my June and July/Decembers out soon, I promise! Maybe I can actually manage to send my August treats in August. We'll see.

Ellie

o

I received a pretty card witha butterfly cutout from micyrey. Inside were seeds for Wonder Egg Plant, Blue Globe Thistle, Dayflower, Poppy mix, and Aquilegia 'Nora Barlow.'
A very lovely selection for WS and planting next year, thanks so much!

o

Hello all!

Bonnie, I'm glad that you'll have time to plant the packet of radishes I sent you this year! Yoiur welcome.

Kym, I have more cards to go out but I misplaced the email with all the July addies, would you mind sending it again?

I hope all are well.

Lisa

o

Kym, do you know how many birthdays we're going to have in August? I've already bought some b-day cards and was wondering if I had enough of them...

o

I received two more birthday cards in the mail today.

Playintheyard (Annette) sent a card with a beautiful red bloom on the front! Do you know what kind of flower that is? She included the following seeds - Spinach 'Baby's Leaf Hybrid', Eggplant 'Black Beauty', Squash 'Blue Kuri' (way cool!), and Gaillardia 'Razzle Dazzle'. Thank you so much!!!

Suecirish sent a cute card with Scabiosa 'Ace of Spades' and Oriental Poppy 'Beauty of Livermere'. Can't wait to wintersow these! Thank you!!!

BTW, I thought I had posted earlier that my July/Dec birthday cards went out today, but my post seems to be missing. So keep mailboxing everyone!

Bonnie

o

I got three cards today! This is sooo much fun! I'm having knee surgery number two in two weeks, and its kind of hard to do things on my crutches, which makes the cards and everything extra extra special! My mom has been mailboxing for me, so I can make sure I don't miss anything! : )

Today I got a beautiful card with flowers (peonies maybe?) and inside was lots of good stuff! Thai 5-star cucumber, Tennessee surprise tomato, rosemary, russian black tomato, and red golfball tomato. Wicked cool! Thanks Annette! (playintheyard)

Also got loofah gourds from Theresa (threas) Which is awesome because I used up all my seeds and I dont think they are going to grow enough to give me any! Thanks Theresa! Awesome card too, pretty bouquet on the front!

And Thanks Sue (suecirish)for the pretty card with a shooting star on it and the sweet corn early and often hybrid, yum! and the cilantro! That will come in handy when I try to make homemade salsa this fall!

Thanks a bunch everyone!
Holly

o

Hello All,

I received two more birthday cards:

proudgm_03 : Coleus(I'm trying to collect as many varieties as I can)

suecirish : Cornflower aka Mountain Bluet (blue is my favorite color how did you know?)
Gerbera Daisy "Royal"

Thank you very much Beck & Sue for the wonderful seeds

Margarita10

o

I received four lovely cards. Play in the yard sent Celosia Purple Flamingo, Blue Butterfly Plant, and Lantana. Annette, I think you meant for the last two to go to someone in a warmer zone than me. I am Zone 5. I will keep some to try and pass the rest on to someone farther south. Micyrey sent Feverfew, Giganteum Poppy, and Belamcanda chinensis 'Hello Yellow'. Suecirish sent Salpiglosis 'Chocolate Royale' and Joe Pye Weed 'Chocolate'. Threas sent Variegated Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate.

Thank you all so much! I can't wait to grow all of these. : ) Most of them are things I have never grown before. Mailboxing is so much fun!

I am playing catch up again. I have two more cards for June to still get out and some for July/December. I better get busy!

Thanks again,
Pat

o

Another birthday card today from Threas. And she sent a rooted start of Hardy Plumbago that was on my wish list. Thank you so much Theresa, this is just so wonderful and thoughtful.
Sue

o

I'm so glad everyone got their cards. You're all welcome, my pleasure! Sue, I hope the plumbago does well for you. I left the flowers on so you could see what they look like. I would remove most of the stem & leaves. It shows up late in the spring,you might think it's not coming back, but then......LOL

Theresa

o

Hi all! Haven't had a lot of time to post this month, but I hope all the July birthday babies had a great birthday and got lots of goodies in the mail! As for me, I am running behind and will finally be mailing to several July/Dec. people in the next day or two... so some of you may still be getting a surprise!

JJ

o

I received 3 wonderful cards with seeds I am so thrilled but couldn't get online to say thank you!
Suecirish sent salpiglossis painted tongue 'chocolate royale' and Sweetpea 'Lady Liberty Mix' thank you so much Sue!!! I wondered how the cactus did I haven't forgotten I'm so glad to hear that its doing great!! Awesome!

Threas aka Theresa sent me Angelica and aristochloa fimbriata OMG DUTCHMANS PIPE thank you so much mucho awesome!!!OMG!! U Rock!!!I am so thrilled!

Annette aka playintheyard sent me 3 awesome packets!!! red trumpet honeysuckle, eupatorium rugosum "chocolate" and heavenly blue morninglory!!! Thank you so much I had to laugh you don't know how many times I have tried to sneak some red honeysuckle snips rofl
thank you so much, you three, for thinking of me I am so grateful! I had tears of joy!!

o

Hello! divahethr, sounds like you had some good fun! I hope the red trumpet honesyckle is a success for you, and you don't need to feel like a criminal to snip some :)
I see lots of pretty hollyhocks around town and want so bad to go to the door and say ..... can I can I can I have some seeds...

Well, shophire lad, you are not alone. Mine haven't gone out yet either. We got back from our trip and the garden was still here! Amungst a multitute of weeds. I concentrated all my time before our trip on cleaning for company instead of weeding... And we got a great rain while gone. Besides great weeds, also came home to no internet service and a gosling hatched! I let my chickens set on some goose eggs. Another hatched today, so I'm very thankful the first one is not lonely! Had the man out to get me going with internet access and ... things are going good again! Hopefully Aug won't be quite as hectic as July!
Anyway, hope to get the july bds in the mail soon.

o

Good Morning All,

I have received another three birthday cards:
Micyrey: Gypsophyla "Fairy Pink", Zinnia, Joe Pye Weed.
Highalttransplat: Bells of Ireland(yahoo)Swiss Chard, Butterhead Lettuce.
Threas:Peony double pink fragrant, Peony unknown

Thank you all for the beautiful cards and absolutely wonderfull seeds.

Margarita10

o

Your welcome, Margarita!

I thought I was done mailboxing, but received another card today. It was a very funny card from Rhonda (Rbrady), and she sent Sunflower 'Autumn Beauty', and Zinnia 'Profusion Fire'. Thank you so much! I always plant annuals in front of the porch, and this year instead of Profusion Zinnias, I used a poppy that I thought was supposed to be about 12". They ended up closer to 24" and were leaning everywhere. Even though the blooms were pretty, they didn't belong at the front of the bed. Next spring, I'm switching back to the Zinnias there, they stay so neat and tidy, so the seeds you sent will definitely get planted! I actually planted Autumn Beauty Sunflowers this year, but killed them when I transplanted them. Next year, I'll try direct sowing them, so I am glad to have more seeds so that I can try them again. I appreciate your thoughtfulness!

Bonnie

o

Today I got a card with a nice note from ishareflowers - Lisa. She sent a great selection of seeds that I am definitely going to try for winter sowing this year - Rudbeckia 'Green Wizard', Pasque flower 'Papageno', Oriental Poppy 'Princess Victoria Louise' (this one is beautiful) and Dianthus 'Spooky' (love these).

Thank you so much Lisa. They are all wonderful!
Sue

o

Hi everyone,

Sue, I'm glad that yoyu liked what I chose to send to you. The green wizard rudbeckia can be started now for blooms next year. I did mine that way and brought them inside near a bright window for the winter.I also winter sowed(?) some and they are less than 6" tall still.

I'm still waiting on an addy for playingintheyard.... can someone please send me her addy!!!!

Habe a great night
Lisa

o

Hehe, Colcol, glad to hear I'm not the only one! And how cute about the goslings!!

o

Good Morning,

I recieved more cards last week.
Becky-proudgm sent a cute frog card w/ petunia,dahlia,bb & hh. Thank you very much.

Betsy-piksihk ssent 'coral nymph' salvia I ws these this year and love them.Salvia red & Shasta Daisy.

I hope all of you are having a great summer so far!!

HAPPY B-DAY TO ALL THE AUGUST BABIES!

take care Annette

I ho

o

Annette, did you get mine? I mailed it last Monday, and you're only 40 miles away!
Sue

o

Hi Gardening Buddies,

I am still receiving birthday surprises:

rbrady: Bells of Ireland
Lettuce-May Queen, Big boston

chellflower: Columbine mix, Bachelor Buttons

Thank you both for the wonderful seeds and sharing with me

Margarita10

o

I got another couple of cards in the last few days!
Thank you to Highalttransplant for the brussels sprouts and the dill,copper fennel, and garlic chives! Yum!!!(and possibly luffa seeds were from you?) They escaped and I couldnt remember who they came from.

and from piksi_hk I'm pretty sure you sent angled luffa gourd, stringless blue lake pole beans, and Amish snap peas!

Thanks!

o

I received a sweet birthday card from Dorothy aka Dimples31312. Thank you so much for thinking of me!! She sent me bachelor buttons, clematis and blue shoofly!!! WOW Thank you Dorothy!!!

o

I got a card from JJ (shropshire_lad) with Hollyhock, Milkweed, Asters, and Auntie's Rose seeds in it. Thank you very much! Cute seed packets too!

Bonnie

o
RE: update: ? for JJ

Oh, and I meant to ask you JJ, if you could tell me a little about Auntie's Rose?

Thanks!

o

Wow, another card today! This one was from Dorothy (Dimples 31312), and it had Red Amaryllis, Broccoli Rabe, and Chamomile in it. Thank you so much! I've never grown Amaryllis before. Is it easy to start from seed? Guess I need to do a little research. Can't wait to try them!

Bonnie

o

Wow!!! I received two cards last week and three more yesterday.

Rbrady sent Oriental Poppy Mix and Delphinium Fantasia Mix.

Highalttransplant sent Celosia Cockscomb Red Mix, Gaillardia 'Goblin', Yellow Marguerite,and Oriental Poppy Brilliant Red.

Dimples sent Montauk Daisy, Lady's Mantle, and Carrot Danvers Half Long.

shropshire_lad sent Hollyhock, Milkweed, Aster Tiger Paws Mix, and Auntie's Rose.

Colcol sent Russian Sage, Common Orange Poppy, Shirley Poppy Mixed Colors, California Poppy Orange, Zinnia Lilliput Mix, Red Corn Poppy, and some adorable seed packets.

Thank you all so much!!! I love everything and I can't wait to grow all these wonderful seeds.

Imagine, I was thinking of doing less winter sowing this year. LOL What was i thinking?

Thanks again everyone,
Pat

o

Yesterday another birthday card from Dorothy aka Dimples31312. She sent Shamrock Clover and Silver Money Plant. Thanks so much Dorothy - they're great!
Sue

o

Hello All,

I received another birthday card from Dorothy(Guyton, GA) and she sent:

Giant Red Leaf Spinach
Swiss Chard "Bright Lights"

Thank you very much Dorothy these will probably go into my fall garden.

Margarita10

o

Bonnie...Amaryllis are pretty easy and can be WS'ed

Sorry I was late getting cards out.
But I hope everyone enjoys thier seeds.

Dorothy

o
RE: update: july birthnday buddies extravaganza

Bonnie...Amaryllis are pretty easy and can be WS'ed

Sorry I was late getting cards out.
But I hope everyone enjoys thier seeds.

Dorothy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here