Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonechickchris

Weird, Odd & Unusual Seed Swap! July Incredible Edibles

bonechickchris
14 years ago

Hi Everyone!

This month's Swap for the Incredible Edibles group will be Weird, Odd and Unusual Edibles!!!

First off, I hope everyone has been busy planting away while our group took a short break! But, it will be great to get the swaps going again!

And what better than getting some Weird and Odd seeds together! We will be swapping seeds for edibles only, as usual.

Seeds great for this swap would be:

An odd or unusual COLOR for that particular veggie/herb/fruit.

An odd or unusual SHAPE for that particular veggie/herb/fruit.

An odd or unusual TASTE for that particular veggie/herb/fruit.

An odd or unusual SIZE for that particular veggie/herb/fruit.

Something that just LOOKS, SOUNDS, or even FEELS Weird! LOL!

Maybe something that is RARE or HARD to FIND, therefore making it Unusual to grow.

I think you get the idea! I also thought, that at the end of the swap, after every posts what they received from their partners, we can all have a vote on who gave the Weirdest, Oddest, most Unusual bunch of seeds! And the winner would get a special surpise mailed to them from us moderators!

Please give your partner the equivilant of 5-6 full pack of seeds. More can be sent, if you and your partner agree to do so.

Sign Ups will be until June 17th. Please have your seeds sent out by the 4th of July. That should give everyone plenty of time inbetween to talk to their partner, get seeds together, to take time to place a seed order if need be, etc.

Also as a side note, I am hosting the Incredible Heirlooms (our sister group), swap for July, Second Time Around. If you do decide to join both swaps, I will give you the same partners for BOTH this swap and that swap, so you will only have to send to one person, and save on shipping costs,while still being able to participate in 2 swaps. Again, this is for people interested in both swaps, you DO NOT have to join that swap to be in this one! So skip over this paragraph! LOL!

Any questions, feel free to ask!!!! I have a feeling I fogot to mention something, LOL! If I remember it, I will post it.

So get your heads thinking of some weirdo veggies and oddball fruits, and unusual herbs!!!!

Christy

Comments (39)

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Whoo Hoo! I'm in! You know me, if it has a name that's impossible to pronounce, it's the edible for me!

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I know you, if I find a tomato that I cannot pronounce, I know Becky wants it! LOL!

In so far!

bonechickchris~Christy
    Booberry85~Becky

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

I will sign up for this swap. I hosted one that was similar to this awhile back.
    Jeanne

• booberry85
    14 years ago

I've been looking forward to this swap. I guess my "weird factor" is fairly high. I was looking through catalogs last night and I had to keep asking the DH if something was "weird." He finally gave up and said, "Everything you grow is weird." ROFL! Although I've had to look up things when Christy has mentioned them. I never knew what a cardoon or a ramp was until she mentioned them. I would have never thought to grow artichokes (purple and everything!) if it wasn't for Christy!

So, what's your "weird factor?"

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How are your artichokes Becky? I might not have gotten mine out early enough. I know they need a long season to grow.

Welcome Jeanne!

Our list so far:

bonechickchris~Christy
    booberry85~Becky
    sandlapperrose~Jeanne

• booberry85
    14 years ago

We had a frost warning a week ago, so all of my warm weather crops are somewhat stalled. I think with decent temps & some rain things will start to pop this coming week.

• southerncharm1
    14 years ago

I think I'm gonna have to sit out this month. Hopefully I can join you all again next month. Enjoy!!! :)

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Christy, I "advertised" this Round Robin on a few forums on the GW.

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

I wanna join both swaps, but I have two shows...back to back and don't have much time to get items out. Do you know when you'll put partners together? I may be able to send early, otherwise it wouldn't be until after the 4th.

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Could we extend the send out date to maybe July 10th? That way people will have more time considering the holiday.

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sure, thats no problem Becky! I was just trying to avoid the 4th, and that is why I was going to have everyone send early, but that does not have to stay that way. We can do the 10th. Does that help you out, Toni, if we extend to the 10th?
    Christy

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Oh my goodness YES!! That way I'll be done with my shows for the last weekend in June and the weekend of the 4th. YAY!!!

So now I have to say...I'M IN!!!!!! LOL

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Hurray! Thanks Christy!

• prayerrock
    14 years ago

This sounds neat I will sign up for this one. I have not been in a swap for couple months.

Mary

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Welcome TOni and Mary!

Update, officially, this swap's send out date will now be the 10th of July***********

Our list so far:

bonechickchris~Christy
    booberry85~Becky
    sandlapperrose~Jeanne
    dirtdiggin~Toni
    prayerock~Mary

• drkala
    14 years ago

Seeds? for next year? Count me in
    I did cardoons last year and love them!! I may have some seed left, don' know how well they last--didn't start in time this year.

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry guys! I was kind of away for the weekend!

Welcome DrKala!~

If you guys dont mind, I might extend the sign up date a few more days than the 17th? DO you guys mind?

• booberry85
    14 years ago

That's fine with me, Christy!

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Hope you had a great weekend!

Found more space for more tomato plants, so they're getting in the ground gradually. I have to find homes for many cause I just don't have enough space to plant 300 tomato plants lol. Yes, I have over 300 planted...I went a bit nuts...so everyone is getting tomatoes in their garden this year, whether they like it or not!!!! hehehe We're about 7 days away from gray zucchini! YAY!!! The first harvest!! That is if I can beat the raccoons to them grrrrrrrr.

The 17th is fine with me as well, for both swaps.

Toni

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ohh, I fogot to update the list!

bonechickchris~Christy
    booberry85~Becky
    sandlapperrose~Jeanne
    dirtdiggin~Toni
    prayerock~Mary
    drcala

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

The later date is fine with me.
    Jeanne

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LAST CALL to sign up!!!

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, well ,it seems we have everyone who is going to sign up, so I am going to post partners tomorrow (Tuesday). Does anyone mind if I post them here instead of starting another thread?
    Christy

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

PARTNERS!!!!

bonechickchris~Christy ~ sandlapperrose~Jeanne
    booberry85~Becky ~ dirtdiggin~Toni
    prayerock~Mary ~ drcala

Please email and get intouch with your partners!!!! Any questions?

• drkala
    14 years ago

Hi--
    I am drkala, not drcala--probably why this didn't reach me!

Just back from a week holiday, I'll contact my swap partner.

My name is Kala, I'll be contacting you, Mary.

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Christy,
    Your seeds are on their way! I hope you like them.
    Jeanne

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Bump! I'm waiting for a seed order to come in. In the meantime, do you find yourself daydreaming about growing these?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kiwano Jelly Melon

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

I tried to grow these this year from some seeds I got in last years weird seed swap....but lack of warmth and too much rain and the seeds just rotted in the ground ....*heavy sigh* ....I was looking forward to them too :(

Oh well....there is a Cherokee Green mater in their spot now , so all is not lost LOL!!

Donna :)

• booberry85
    14 years ago

I just saw these (horned(jelly) melons) in our grocery store yesterday. I'm so proud of our little grocery store for carrying something so exotic!

• booberry85
    14 years ago

AAAaaaaaahhhhh! My order is in and it feels like Christmas! Ok, well at Christmas it would be 40 degrees colder! I just love getting those packages in the mail. I was suffering from swap withdrawal from last month!

Toni, I'll try and get your package together over the weekend and get it out early this coming week.

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Oh I'm so excited :) !!!!

Can't wait til my packages arrive so I can ship yours.

I love swaps with surprises :) It makes it so fun!

Toni

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

I received my package from Christy.

Christy, thank you so much. It is wonderful!

Just a few of the things Christy sent to me:
    Ugly Ripe Tomato
    Courgette (which I had never heard of before)
    'Bright Lights' Swiss Chard
    'Bordeaux' Spinach - with red stems
    'Silvia' Lettuce - which says rare red-leaf romanine
    Blue Jade - miniature sweet corn
    'Thumbelina' Carrots
    'Ying Yang' (Calypso) Beans

Anyway, you all know how generous Christy is!
    Thanks so much...
    and Happy Indepenedence Day to everyone.

Jeanne

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would not expect you to type all of those things out! LOL! I am so happy that you liked them all Jeanne!

I have been such a bum! I just could not get myself over here to post what I got from Jeanne ages ago! But here I am now!

From Jeanne I got~

Tiger Eye Bean (really wanted this)
    Rams Horn Bean ( they are sold out of this everywhere!)
    Albino Beet (never had a white beet before!)
    Pablo Lettuce (definitely unusual)
    Armenian Cuke (going to try and get these in asap)
    Chervil (new one for me!)
    Italian Market Wonder Tomato (luv Italian tomatoes!)
    and some unusual eggplants !

Thanks again Jeanne! I love all of my seeds! Especially the beans!

I know you guys were waiting on orders, Toni and Becky. Did you receive them yet? This holiday seemed to really mess up the po system.
    Christy

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

OH YAY!!! My last shipment arrived today, so I'm just finishing up stuffing Becky's package and will have it on its way.

I also receive my package from Becky today - we were partners in both swaps, so I have two goodie bags to post lol.

What a wonderful and thoughtful package! I received this adorable hand made hand bag/purse. The colors are wonderful in periwinkle, pinks and purples and it looks like the yarns used in it are also hand dyed. And tucked very nicely inside were an adorable pin made from Amber colored Austrian crystals, in the shape of a golden colored doggie...did you know we have a Golden? It's so cute! And a bag of Viennese Vanilla coffee YUM!!!! I'm a coffee nut, so this will be wonderful! And to top that all off, she made sure I am able to make notes with some really cute pencils that match the coloring of the purse.

Now for the seed goodies....

Schimmeig Striped Hollow Tomato
    Emerald Evergreen Tomato
    Pink Berkeley Tie Dye Tomato- this is just perfect for my garden isn't it? lol
    Grub's Mystery Green Tomato
    Marizol Purple Tomato
    German Red Strawberry Tomato
    Purple Tomatillo
    Long Purple Eggplant
    Starburst Pepper
    Jimmy Nardello's Sweet Pepper
    Fish Peppers
    Peter Peppers - LOL this is for a naughty garden I think ;)
    Giant Aconcagua Sweet Pepper
    Black Hungarian Hot Pepper
    Fenugreek - herb
    Carrot - Cosmic Purple
    German Chamomile
    Blue Podded Garden Pea
    Chicago Warted Hubbard
    Pattisons Jaune Et Verte Scallop Squash
    D'Algiers European Melon

Holy cow!!! What a wonderful package!
    Thank you SO much Becky! This is just an awesome package and I'm excited to plant some of these for this year and some for next :)

Now off to post the other items on the other thread!!!

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Hi Toni,

I'm glad you received the package and are happy with all the little goodies. The D'Algers European Melon I read a description of it being one of the ugliest melons but one of the tastiest! It's also suppose to have more compact vines than most melons.

Happy gardening!
    Becky

• booberry85
    14 years ago

I should really read all the way through before posting! Excuse me it's been a long day. I just finished getting some paper work together for work tomorrow. Toni, when we traded before, you told me you had a dog, but I didn't know it was a Golden!

• booberry85
    14 years ago

So I had a really long day today. It started at 3 am when my dog started to spontaneously lick my face. I fell back asleep after telling him to settle down. Around 5am we had thunderstorms roll through. The same dog will bark at the thunder. My other shivers, shakes, drools, and digs during thunderstorms so I gave up on sleep. I worked a long day today. I got home at 6:30pm and was tired, sore, cranky, sweaty, and hungry! They I looked up at our front porch and there was a package. Hurray!

Toni sent me a great package for treats she sent chocolate raspberry sticks (which I already made a dent in,) chocolate cherries (I sampled those too. Yum!), and some cute scented candles.

So, What's weird you ask? Here's the low down on the seeds!
    Autumn Wings Gourds (on my wish list)
    Ten Commandments Gourds (on my wish list)
    Red Peanut Beans
    Wrinkled Crinkled Cress (great minds think alike!)
    Amaranth Sahal
    PA Dutch Crookneck (on my wish list)
    Kabocha Squash (on my wish list)
    Kikuza winter squash (on my wish list)
    Alpine Tomato (on my wish list)
    Andrew Rahart Jumbo Tomato (on my wish list)
    Black Ethiopian (on my wish list)
    Chapman Tomato (on my wish list)
    Coldset (on my wish list)
    Enterprize tomato (on my wish list)
    Lafayette (on my wish list)
    Northern Delight Tomato (on my wish list)
    Optimus (on my wish list)

and... can believer there's an and!!??
    Kiwano Horned Melon!

Thanks so much Toni. I feel spoiled by your generosity!

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Back in town for a couple of weeks, so had to stop in :)

Becky - I'm so glad you enjoyed the package I sent. Let it be known...Sandhill is running about 2.5-3 weeks for delivery. Oh and LOL on the wrinkled Crinkled Cress. I thought it sounded AWESOME and I was so glad to receive a package :) When I opened my box that you sent I chuckled and thought KEWL!!!!

Well off to get more stuff done...I'm low on product, so I'll be dying (color wise ;)) for a while.

Toni

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Another thing to keep in mind regarding Sandhill Preservation, they only accept orders through August 15th. They shut down from August 15 through December. I think the same is true for Fedco Seeds.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida