Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

MNF: I've got some ideas.....

dan_the_mailman
15 years ago

Hey there everyone! I was thinking. Why don't we all contribute some ideas for upcoming swaps here, so we can kind of prepare for our future? I've got some ideas for July, and I'd like to see how much interest there is in them. So, put your thinking caps on, come up with some ideas, write them down here, and maybe we can pick out a few and start preparing for them also! So, whattaya say? Wanna do some planning for the summer? LOL!

Here are my ideas for a July swap...

1. Halloween in July (anything spooky, creepy or unusual)

2. Music and Noise (plants with the names of instruments or noisemakers in them... bluebells for example)

3. Perennial Free-For-All (send perennials that will grow in your recipients zone, otherwise they could be anything)

4. Welcome to the Zoo! (plants with animal names in them... foxglove, dogbane, catmint...)

Okay, there are my contributions. What can YOU think of?

-Dan

Comments (82)

• dirt_under_my_nails
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Uh...Dan? Medont is doing Novebmer. It's ok you missed it though. I'm sure your still excited about the Wings winning the Stanley Cup!!!I know hubby is.
    later....April/dirt

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ya you missed me wanting to do sexy september too. darned dan!! LOL
    he said maybe "nodding november". but give him time to come up with a good one. he's just comeing off of 10 hr shift!! LOL overnight, LOL Hugs Medo

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello All;
    Sorry I have been busy but I would be happy to host the "round robin" in February. Here is how it goes, I fill a box with seeds and stuff and send it out. The first recipient acknowledges receipt of the box, takes out anything they want and replaces with something similar. IE if they remove five seed packets they must at least put in five seed packets. If they take out a garden decoration, they should replace with something similar. They do not have to take anything they do not want but to be polite, they should take at least a couple of things out of the box. The box should not spend anymore than two days at any one stop otherwise it takes too long. The box will include instructions as to where it is heading next and that should not be revealed which makes DC very important. When the box arrives, the recipient only reveals what they removed from the box and sends it on. As the box progresses it will have stuff from all the people before in it so you will not know who put what in. That makes it fun. They did not have flat rate boxes back in the day so that was part of the getting expensive part. The box will travel to every person and then will finally be returned to me. It is our version of the telephone game. The contents will not resemble what was sent out but there may be one or two things that made the whole journey. It is always interesting to see.
    Since it is February we can either work with the Valentine's Day with a heart theme or President's Day with a "Truth or Consequence" theme. Need to think about that but could use some ideas with that.
    diene
    Does that work for the group? If so, sign me up.
    diene

• scouttiegirl
    15 years ago

Everyone's ideas sound great. I am lovin the welcome to the zoo themed swap...hahaha..course that might just be cause we have a zoo garden.
    I have always wanted to do a swap called "Welcome to my neighborhood". I think it would be neat to see things about the attractions and local flare of where everyone else lives. We could include things like postcards, brochures of local attractions, pictures we have taken in our area, things made by local artist,anything that would describe and show off your hometown pride. I always get curious as to see other people's areas. You could include a little photo album of scenery and fun places or local festivities and such. This could be something fun for the cooler months when your not able to send plants. Then you could sit back with a nice hot drink and browse through a box of exciting new places.
    What does everyone think of that idea?

Hi Vic. I don't believe we have met before. I am an oldie on here but took a long break. I'm back now.

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

I like both Diene and Scouttiegirl's ideas..boy, we're just running with this,aren't we?.."L"

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

July - Independance Day - Dan/the mailman

August - Garden Junk - April/dirt

September - "Flowers Feathers and Fun" - Linda/Lindaruzicka

October - "Happy Halloween" - Dan/the mailman & Trina/Pixie

November - Michele/Medontdo

December- "Chocolate Swap" Wendy/Sassybutterfly

January - "Waiting for Spring" Linda/Lindaruzicka

February - Diene

Darn, no vote for the biggest turkey, I was wondering who it might be. We have so many um, er, well, qualified candidates! lol!

Diene, I love the idea of a "Truth or Consequence" Swap! That would be so much fun. All the workings sound fairly straight forward. I say go for it.

I think that is 3 votes for the Zoo swap. Maybe you would like to host it, Scouttie? I think you would be perfect since you already have a garden with that theme and could help some folks get some good ideas.

Michele, Woops, I thought you said no way to hubby's idea of Sexy September. Sorry! I got mixed up there. Still love me?

Hugs,
    Tracy

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ohhh ya tracy!! your the best!! Hugs!! :')) i love the zoo swap!! and i Love the dienes thing too!! man how perfect is this??!! no "hey who's doing the next" LOL its all planned, LOL sounds pretty cool to me!! LOVIN IT!!! :'))

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Scouttiegirl, Hi!
    I love the "Welcome to my neighborhood Idea"!

And Diene, I would Love to do a real RR, sounds like fun.

I don't think I will be in the July swap, have to wait and see what happens this month.

Vic

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

I love the welcome to the neighborhood idea. It would be fun to see more of our friends' hometowns. I''m a little late on posting an idea but I've been considering working on a garden of plants mentioned in the Bible. Saw one on tv the other day and it looked really neat. All the ideas are great and thank you all for volunteering to host. Nikki
    PS - Dan, you mentioned maters - my neice loves to eat them off the vine...
    {{gwi:70045}}

• medontdo
    15 years ago

poor girl looks like she is just a sweating to be all get out!! LOL she i just a darling!! LOL we've got 2 or 3 that are starting to get about 2-3 inches around!! WOO HOO!!! i am so happy!! :'))

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nikki, I grow grape tomatoes so I'll have a snack already waiting for me in the garden when I go out there to play. And, if it's been a few days, just seeing all of them hanging on the plants gets me out there to harvest them, which just about always turns into a walk in the garden. You're niece looks like she's having the time of her life eating those maters!
    My garden is really where I go to keep my sanity. When my best friend calls, he sometimes tells me to get into my garden for a couple of hours, and then call him back. He can hear it in my voice that I need to do some communing with the greenery and regain equilibrium, and refuses to talk with me until I've done so. It's one of his ways of making me take better care of myself. Cool, eh?

I love how this has taken off for all of us! Nothing beats a bit of organization, eh? You guys have dived into this so well, it almost makes me think you were all waiting for me to bring it up! But then, that would be a conspiracy theory, wouldn't it? LOL!!!

Now, since July will be just my second time hosting a swap, I'd like to get some ideas on our Independance Day theme. Here are my ideas for it... Including plants that have something to do with the Revolution in their names, keeping it to red, white, or blue colors, using only state flowers for our plant trades (this would require some research), what do you guys think? Have any input? I sure hope so!!!

So, that's about it for me tonight. After spending the day delivering the mail in thunderstorms, I went to see the new Narnia movie. I'd definitely recommend seeing it! It was as good as the first, and I'm hoping they treat the others left the same way! GO ASLAN!!!

• scouttiegirl
    15 years ago

Dan i took my kids to see the Narnia movie when it came out a few weeks ago. I agree it was very well done. We are big time readers in this family so my kids always get excited when they make movies on the books I have read to them. My daughter loves Aslan. We are looking for a plant with Aslan in the name to put in her zoo garden.
    Tracy I haven't hosted a swap before but would do the zoo one. Not sure which month anyone would want to do it in.
    Nikki your niece is adorable! I can't believe you all have maters already. I am so jealous. I like the bible themed garden also. I remember someone on here was doing one awhile back, but not sure who it was.
    We are having a heatwave here in NY. Gonna be in the mid 90's! Gasp....so not our kind of weather at this time of year. Better get out there and give everything a good drink this morning before temps start to rise.
    ~Heather

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Quiet today! Everyone must be working or out in the yard!
    It's been raining on and off here today and cool & windy.

I think I'll go for the March swap (if no one else wants it) By then maybe I will be settled here! LOL

I've never hosted a swap, so I better think up some good ideas!

Vic

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

that's okay Vic, I haven't either!

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Heather, you just go ahead and pick a month that you think would be good for sending plants. We are already into next year with hosts at this point so I was wondering if it would be a problem for anyone to have piggy back swaps? I think it would work fine especially if someone didn't think they could participate in one themed swap but could in a different one. Throwing that out there for debate for everyone.

Hosting isn't too difficult to do. I generally offer sign-ups for 10 days and then post partners. I like to also have a deadline for mailing a few days before the end of the month. Plants need to be mailed Priority with delivery confirmation posted on the boards for everyone's reassurance and tracking in the event it was lost. As each box is delivered then a nice thank you should be offered to the sender for all the thought and care they took in the package. Updates should be posted periodically on who has sent and received and before you know it we are on to the next round of swapping. In the event that someone has not sent to their partner they aren't allowed to participate in any new swaps until their obligations are met. The next host/hostess should be notified as to who needs to complete any outstanding trades.

Someone else may have some better insight into the rules of swapping and such. Please add to anything that I may have missed or got wrong :o)

Vic, send some of those cool breezes our way. It is hot as hades out today. We hit 94 again. Yick! You will be an awesome hostess girlie! Can't wait to see what you have planned for March for us!

• diene
    15 years ago

Hey Tracy;
    You did a great job explaining the whole process. I know it is just my big ego but when I see how well this group runs and especially individuals who were timid at first in charge, I get a great feeling.
    We have very cool weather here today but the news guy tonight said there was going to be a differential of 35 degrees tomorrow. He is saying it will be in the high eighties maybe even nineties inland.
    We have a saying here in this state, "don't like the weather, wait a minute." I remember playing volleyball in a bathing suit on the beach on my birthday twenty some odd years ago and shoveling snow that night (my birthday is in December so the snow was normal the bathing suit on the beach was not!)
    My neighborhood is hosting a yard sale tomorrow and I am hoping to get rid of some junk. My DH is going on a Miata Run with his Miata club and bringing them back for lunch. After they leave he has promised to help rototill my vegetable garden and we hope to get out on the boat. We probably will make the boat and the garden will wait another day but we shall see.
    Stay cool everyone.
    diene

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Hi Diene, you should feel good. You did a remarkable thing when you put this group together. I think we ended up with an outstanding bunch of people who love to share their best with each other. You did a fantastic job creating a wonderful warm atmosphere for all of us gardeners to come together.

Good luck getting rid of some stuff. I have a little trouble with neighborhood sales, I end up picking up as much as I get rid of! Have fun on the boat tomorrow, let the garden wait till Sunday.

I just finished potting up some very sad daylilies that I had ordered this evening. I wanted to do it as soon as they got here but decided to wait until the sun was nearly set. It was much cooler then (only 89, lol).

• medontdo
    15 years ago

oh yes tracy i agree!! i love this group!! i have looked a others, and while i love the way they respond to each other, this is my most favorite one!! i'm a peek iner!! LOL but this one is the one i actually do the swaps with and actually talk with the most!! but this group is so caring. and very helpful! ohhhh and don't forget to occasionally post who's received and who's sent. i forgot to do that last time til tracy reminded me. LOL next time i hope to remember!! LOL
    also tracy you have a great idea, cuz if something comes up and one of us can't host the swap the month we picked then someone else can pick up the thing where we thought. that is a really awesome idea!! your one smart cookie!! LOL
    i kept checking in today and saw no one on so i didn't post, i didn't feel all that well, i don;t know what the heck is going on, my stomach is all upset. i wanted to go visit my mom BUT as upset as it is i know i'd be no good company!! hmmmmm the good news is it was nice and cool today!! LOL and NOT humid!! WOO HOO!!! LOL

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

So Diene, your the one to thank for the group!
    Thanks! You did a great job.

Heather, if you want to do a swap in Mar, that is fine with me. I can pick any mo. doesn't matter.

Tracy, good idea with the piggy back too.

I'm thinking maybe a secret swap, you wouldn't know who got your name till you got the box. Hmmm.....have to think about that a little more.

Vic

• diene
    15 years ago

Thanks for the accolades but you deserve the credit. I planned on a single swap to make people feel comfortable with swapping but you all kept it going. Good for you!!
    Tracy, do all daylilies arrive so sad looking? I ordered from a nursery for the first time this year and what a sad lot showed up. I am pleased to say that I have at least eighty different lilies and while I have bought some oriental and asiatic bulbs, I had never purchased daylilies from a commercial outfitter until this year. Every other one came from GW or some local growers. I remember going to a daylily farm that was moving about five years ago with some people I had met on GW. They had a dig your own for a dollar and I spent forty dollars that day. It was brutally hot but I was thrilled.
    Anyways, the fans that showed up were sad looking and since it has been raining for days, I have no idea what they look like now and they were not cheap. I hope they will survive but they certainly won't flower this year and maybe not next.
    Conversely, the ones that Pixie sent are really great looking and will do very well. I would recommend to everyone that you try to trade rather than purchase. You enjoy the flowers more knowing that someone gave them to you rather than you bought them.
    By the way Vic, I have been involved in a "secret swap" and it is tons of fun. Years ago I was involved in a "Secret Pal" swap that lasted a full year. We did not send a box a month but sent at least a card every month and a box at the end of the year. My pal was great and it turned out she was a master gardener from Arizona. I do not see her around much anymore but I do still get a stray e-mail from her. The person I sent to was not so much fun. She did not even post the receipt of anything I sent after April and never once acknowledged my box when the year ended. She was around for a while after that but has since disappeared which I consider a good thing.
    Well, I need to get to bed and I am having a hard time putting sentences together so before I embarass myself, I will bid you all a good night.
    diene

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

OK NOW I learned this from someone (don't remember who) when I got some DL's. After you get them, BEFORE, you plant them SOAK THEM IN WATER FOR A NIGHT OR 24 HOURS to fill those roots up. THEN plant them where they belong and just water them normally. (Trust me I am no expert but I did just that and they did fine after I planted them!)

Diene I soaked the ones I sent you for one night before I wrapped them. I still have some in a tub of water from when I separated mine and trust me I just found out about DL's less than a year ago!!!

Smiles,
    Pixie

• medontdo
    15 years ago

that's funny, i saw that on a pbs thing last year, tabor and i watch it once in a while on saturdays if i can remember to watch it. LOL or is it sundays? i think its sat. LOL anyhow. its pbs. LOL and also i saw something like that on one of those other shows. umm on satelite!@! ohhhh how rude of that person diene!! i think it is also rude of people to just post that they recieved "seeds" or body lotion or something like that hey inquiring minds wanta know. Like mine!@!!!! LOL that away we can eww and ahhh and ohhh over them!! LOL that's some of the fun!! geez!! LOL so i always say what kinda seeds?? or something like that! or when they say bulbs, i'm like what kinda bulbs. but i had thought that person had gotten the hint. hmmm nope, LOL guess not. i'm supposed to be asleep. (snore, snore, snore)

• scouttiegirl
    15 years ago

Vic you go ahead and do March. I am thinking May for the zoo swap or even piggy backing like Tracy said with an end of season Month this year. I just need a month that we can still send plants in for this one. I like your idea of the secret swap. That is always fun. You could just have everyone update the trades list or give some little hints as to what they like for their secret partner to have an idea.
    I'm jealous of some of you guys cool weather. We are having a heatwave here in the mid 90's. NOT typical for us at all. Not liking it either. I get concerned with the heat and our well. We did however get a very nice overnight rainfall before the heat. That was very nice. Made me feel better about all the plants i had just planted. They at least got a nice soak from Ma nature before she turned up the heat.
    Diene I love garage sales. We always do one at my sister's house every year. She gets more traffic out by her and we do better. Course I do the same thing as Tracy with the neighborhood ones too...seems I bring home just as much as I am gettin rid of. And Diene I am so jealous about the dig your own for one dollar. I would have been out there in the blazin heat myself at that price.I have just recently been getting into the daylilies.
    Well I am off to have a picnic at my parents house today. Enjoy your weekend everyone.

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Diene, $1/plant! wow, I would have pd you $3/plant plus shipping! LOL! If everyone likes the secret swap idea maybe you could give me some tips on it. Maybe a "get ready to grow" and do a 4-6 month secret swap sending things to get ready, and then plants to grow in the last mo or 2? Maybe a special prize for the first person to identify there secret pal? Or......to make it more of a challenge, a prize for the first person to identify ALL the secret pals going by what they sent? Would I have ppl email me with the dc# so I know it was sent? And it would be a "rule" to post what/when you got! I'm in a swap right now, well it's over, I haven't gotten my box yet. The only thing that was posted was partners, nothing of who sent what when or who got what! I had to post a ? and see if it ever happened or not!

Garage sales! They are EVIL!!!! I had a moving sale when we left, we had sooooooooooooooooooo much "stuff"! When we moved into that house 4 yrs ago we started hitting garage sales for things we (thought) needed, I had so much stuff that was never used, and stuffed in the garage and basement! Some of it we forgot we had! To give you an idea of how much stuff we had.........we made $1400.00 on the sale of it!!!! WHOOOOHOOOO!! That was going to be my garden fund when we got here.....till the well went out 2 wks before we moved and cost $4200.00 to have a new one dug! So much for plants and peat moss!:((( "wiping a tear from my eye"

Scouttie, I just got into daylilies last yr. never new there were sooo many till I found this site! I only have a few that I got in trades, they didn't bloom last yr because I just got them, then I had to dig and bring them with me this yr so I don't think I'll see any blooms this yr either :(

Well, it's going to be a nice day here! So I'm off to dig in my hard clay!

Vic

• medontdo
    15 years ago

how far do you have to plant things from each other so they don't cross pollinate?? i am wondering cuz i have a few different varieties of passion fruit and things and i don't want them to cross pollinate, all though. cant i just plant them next to each other and the ones i plant next to each other be fine, just the seeds will be different?? ummm how does that work???

• medontdo
    15 years ago

CONVERSION CHART FOR CUP MEASUREMENTS

8 oz. = 1 cup
    Picnic size = 1 1/4 cups
    #300 can = 1 3/4 cups
    #1 tall can = 2 cups
    #303 can = 2 cups
    #2 can (20 oz. can) = 2 1/2 cups
    #2 1/2 can = 3 1/2 cups
    #3 can = 4 cups
    #10 can = 12-13 cups

June '93

MILLILITER CONVERSIONS

1/8 t. = .5 ml
    1/4 t. = 1.5 ml.
    1/2 t. = 3 ml.
    3/4 t. = 4 ml.
    1 t. = 5 ml.
    1 T. = 15 ml.
    1/4 c. = 60 ml.
    1/3 c. = 85 ml.
    1/2 c. = 125 ml.
    2/3 c. = 170 ml.
    3/4 c. = 180 ml.
    1 c. = 240 ml.

COMMON CONVERSIONS INTO GRAMS

1 t. (dry measure) = 4 g.
    1 t. (liquid measure) - 5 g.
    1/2 oz. = 14 g.
    3/4 oz. = 21 g.
    1 oz. = 28.35 g.
    1 1/2 oz. = 43 g.
    1 3/4 oz. = 50 g.
    2 oz. = 57 g.
    2 1/2 oz. = 71 g.
    2 3/4 oz. = 78 g.
    3 oz. = 85 g.
    3 1/2 oz. = 99 g.
    3.57 oz. = 100 g.
    4 oz. = 114 g.
    5 oz. = 142 g.
    6 oz. = 170 g.
    7 oz. = 199 g.
    8 oz. = 226 g.
    9 oz. = 254 g.
    10 oz. = 283 g.
    11 oz. = 311 g.
    12 oz. = 340 g.
    13 oz. = 368 g.
    14 oz. = 396 g.
    15 oz. = 425 g.
    1/4 lb. (4 oz.) = 113 g.
    1/2 lb. (8 oz.) = 225 g.
    3/4 lb. (12 oz.) = 340 g.
    1 lb. (16 oz.) = 453 g.
    1 1/4 lb. = 566 g.
    1 1/2 lb. = 679 g.
    1 3/4 lb. = 792 g.
    2 lb. = 905 g.
    2 1/4 lb. = 1018 g.
    3 lb. = 1.4 kilogram
    10 oz. (many frozen foods) = 280 g.
    10 1/2 oz. (canned soup) = 294g.
    15 oz. = 425 g.
    1 lb. 24 oz. (large can size) 850 g.

WEIGHTS AND MEASURES

a few grains = less than 1/8 t.
    60 drops = 1 t.
    1 1/2 t. = 1/2 T.
    3 t. = 1 T.
    2 T. = 1/8 c. (or 1 fluid oz.)
    4 T. = 1/4 c.
    5 1/3 T. = 1/3 c.
    8 T. = 1/2 c.
    10 2/3 T. = 2/3 c.
    12 T. = 3/4 c.
    16 T. = 1 c.
    3/8 c. = 1/4 c. plus 2 T.
    5/8 c. = 1/2 c. plus 2 T.
    7/8 c. = 3/4 c. plus 2 T.
    1 c. = 8 fluid oz.
    2 c. = 1 pt. (or 16 fluid oz.)
    2 pt. = 1 qt. (or 32 fluid oz.)
    4 c. = 1 qt.
    4 qt. = 1 gal.
    8 qt. = 1 peck
    4 pecks = 1 bushel
    16 oz. = 1 lb.
    1 g. = 0.035 oz.
    1 kilogram = 2.21 lb.
    1 oz. = 28.35 g.
    1 lb. = 453.59 g.
    1 t. = 4.9 milliliters
    1 T. = 14.8 milliliters
    1 c. = 236.6 milliliters
    1 liter = 1.06 quarts (or 1000 milliliters)

METRIC CONVERSION FACTORS

WEIGHT
    1 oz. = 28.35 g.
    1 g. = 0.035 oz.
    1 lb. = 453.59 g.
    1 kilogram = 2.21 lb.

VOLUME
    1 fluid oz. = 29.57 ml.
    1 ml. = 0.034 oz.
    1 c. = 236.6 ml.
    1 qt. = 946 ml.
    1 liter = 33.8 fl. oz.

LENGTH
    1 inch = 25.4 millimeters
    1 centimeter = 0.39 inch
    1 meter = 39.4 inches

TEMPERATURE
    To convert Fahrenheit to Celsius:
    Subtract 32. Then multiply by 5/9.
    Example: convert 140F to Celsius.
    140 - 32 = 108
    108 x 5/9 = 60°C.

To convert Celsius to Fahrenheit:
    Multiply by 9/5. Then add 32.
    Example: convert 150°C to Fahrenheit.
    150 x 9/5 = 270
    270 + 32 = 302°F

i know, most of ya'll know this, but i was on bob allisons ask your neighbor: household hints, and man, this guy has some really cool stuff, i was originally looking for this guy haley's hints, i saw him on pbs, LOL they're taking pledges today. ya know, i would love to go green all the way if i could, but this humidity is a killer for me!!

• medontdo
    15 years ago

CLEAN THE GRILL

This cleanup trick works while you sleep! Lay a barbecue grill rack on the lawn overnight-the dew will combine with the enzymes in the grass to loosen any burned-on grease. Try it with messy oven racks too!

or to rid the area of cats and dogs, i'm gonna try this one!!
    CATS AND DOGS:

Bury an empty pop or beer bottle in the ground so that the top is level with the ground and fill it with 2 parts ammonia and 1 part water. This will evaporate so you must refill it periodically.

TO STORE PEPPERS (Jan Atwood)

FREEZE THEM: Seed the peppers and put them in a freeze-lock plastic container then freeze. Be aware that they will be slightly mushy but still good for sauces and such. (you can also freeze the peppers whole, this will result in a hotter pepper because of the seeds remaining intact)
    DRY THEM: Cut peppers length-wise and seed them (using a spoon was suggested) and place on a cookie sheet or baking pan. Put your oven on its lowest setting (150° is desired but your oven may not go that low), place peppers in oven and prop the oven door open with a wooden spoon (just slightly ajar, about 1 inch or so). Cook for 24-48 hours til they are brittle and dry. Remove, cool and chop to desired consistancy (caller uses a food processor for this task). Store in a tightly sealed jar.
    Note: when handling hot peppers wear rubber gloves and do not touch your eyes or face.

KEEP SQUIRRELS OUT OF THE BIRD FEEDER

If your feeder in mounted on a pole, put a stove pipe or 4-6 inch diameter PCV pipe around the pole (from the bottom). They can't wrap their paws around the pipe and won't be able to climb up the pole. You can also put a piece of PCV pipe around the chain if your feeder is a hanging type.

FEED HUMMINGBIRDS (Rick)

4 c. water
    1 c. sugar

Boil the mixture for 5 minutes. Let cool and fill the hummingbird feeder. The mixture will keep up to 2 weeks when refrigerated. Change the feed mixture every three days when the weather is hot. You need to clean the feeder thoroughly too. Try placing the feeder around these plants: columbine, bee balm, impatients, petunias and coral bells. Don't use red food coloring or honey.
    (you can use 1 cup beet juice, its ok for them.) the red dye isn't nutritious so thats bad.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Man, you all in trouble in July! hehehe
    I've been doing some thinking about our "Independance Day" swap, and come up with some more ideas. I'm going to have a "question of the day" contest, give you your partners secretly so it'll have a "secret pal" feeling to it, ask that you send them something weekly (postcards, letters, a packet of seed, something small and inexpensive), and send a box sometime during the month to help them celebrate their Freedom. During July, it would be fun to share what we're getting from our secret pals on the forum, and watch one another trying to guess who has who. Towards the end of the month, I'll post partners so you all will know who has been pampering you in July.
    Anyone have any more ideas?

-Dan

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Diene, this was the first time that I had ordered from a commercial grower on the DL's. They have a reputation for being indestructable so I think they are dug and let to sit for indeterminate amounts of time until the order comes in and is sent on their way. It truly was a sad sight when I opened them up. I feel sorry for anyone who isn't aware that they recover well after time and just pitches them on sight. It will hopefully be worth the wait to see them bloom. I received Her Majesty's Wizard, Bella Lugosis, Victoria's Secret, Startle, and the Lonfield Twins. Thankfully I got them at a good price but not so happy with my distributor.

Dan, I think those are all great ideas but maybe minimize the extra sending. Some people are only able to send one box a month and any extra spending may be a hardship and keep some from joining. Just a thought:o)

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tracy, did I word that wrong? Sometimes my brain gets out in front of my typing, and I screw things up. I was thinking we'd only send the one box during the month, but thought it would be kind of cool to send maybe a postcard or two also, just to kind of prolong the whole "I've got something from my partner!" feeling, know what I mean? No rules or requirements, just a suggestion.
    We've all (hopefully) been secret Santa's or something like that before, and right now I'm wanting to get people's input before announcing the July swap.
    So, I've got some input from Tracy (THANK YOU T!), how about the rest of you all? I can't believe none of the rest of you have anything to say!!! hehehe When have ANY of us been "the silent type"???

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello Dan;
    I think your enthusiasm is great but I do caution you about taking on too much. If you ask too much of people they either will not sign up or worse, will not follow through. Then your swap takes on a sour note and all your hard work is for naught.
    If you have not hosted a swap before my suggestion is to keep it simple for the first time. After you understand all the little piccadillos that are part of the deal but not apparent when you are only a participant, they you can ramp it up as you see fit.
    July is a good month because everyone has something growing but it is a busy month for everyone so sometimes commitments get overlooked.
    I do not mean to rain on your parade, I am playing devil's advocate here. The swap is yours to do what you want. Most important, enjoy it.
    Tracy, I am glad I was not the only one to feel that way. The daylilies I received from Pixie were in much better shape if somewhat smaller than the last commercial ones I received. I will not be buying more. diene
    diene

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Hmmm......so I should prb try to buy daylilies from pixie and not from a catalog! LOL! I've gotten some pretty sorry looking plants from mail order before also. I ordered some canadian hemlock, supposedly 2yr old and got scrawny little twigs, they all died!

Since March will be my first swap, I'm kinda hoping someone will "take me under their wing" a little (hint, hint, Diene)

Vic

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Keeping it simple would be a good thing. Maybe I'll scrap the secret partner idea for now. And maybe give out couple of weekly questions, instead of a daily one. This'll be just my second time of hosting a swap, so yeah, I've got some learning to do. Any more advice/ideas? I'm listening! LOL!!!

What was the saying on Hee-Haw? Just a pickin' and a grinnin'???

-Dan

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Rofl, just a pickin' and a grinnin' I see! I haven't heard that one in a long time. I hate being a party pooper but I do know that there will be a few who really work hard at doing their best and then their are others who want to but are so busy in their daily lives that before they know what happened the whole month flew by and woops they forgot to do that little something extra. They feel bad, their partner might feel bad, then as Diene said a sour note will creep in. I hate being a pooper, I really really do! Hugs!

Diene, that is the one thing I forgot to say is I would definitely rather receive DL's in a trade instead of buying from the grower.

Vic, you know it! Buy plants from Pixie, you will be much happier! lol! I know you will do a fantastic job as hostess. Just check in daily and update the stats when necessary. The hardest part might just be picking partners. If you try to make zone buddies, pick partners who have never had each other or do the safe way of picking names out of a hat. That one works pretty good too.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's why I'm asking advice of you enablers, don't want any persimmons here, at least, not unless you have a few you'd like to trade? What's that in your bag? Have any seeds? What? What'd you say? No, I'm not holding, not me. Those seedbags over there? Never saw them in my life! No, I don't know what's in them. You're looking to trade? Well, maybe I could find something. How about I give you one of those seedbags? I know I just told you they weren't mine, but they're not yours either, are they? I didn't think so. And since you need to make a trade, I'll take that bag of yours, and give you this one I'm holding, then I'm outta here. What? Cops? Who? The seed police??? Man, I'm outta here! Hey, gimme those bags!!!

And, when it comes to picking partners, I've got the best, most failsafe system ever. I put names on slips of paper and let the cats choose who gets who! lmao!!!

g'nite everyone!

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Dan, I can't give you any advice other than to just think about other swaps you've been in and what you did/didn't like about it. I haven't hosted before either. Not to be a party poop or anything, I may not be in next months swap anyhow with the move and all, I am lacking plants to trade.

Tracy, I've been looking for pixiesplants.com and can't find the web site LOL.
    And yes, I do like the swaps to stay updated, I've seen them where the host just kinda dissapears, sometimes the members keep it updated, and sometimes not. That's why I haven't done one yet, I knew I didn't have the time. I also figure an off month would be a good one to start with this yr, I will be so busy this summer trying to get some gardens established (oh, and should prob. finish unpacking! lol) I won't put my "all" into it. I also asked Diene if she would offer some advice because when I mentioned yesterday about doing a secret swap she said she had been in one before. I was thinking about not doing "partners" but giving everyone someone to send to, if I do a secret swap. But, Diene isn't the only one welcome to give me some tips "gr". Well, I have months to worry about it, so I will wait awhile to get all stressed out! LOL

Gotta go now, we just had my sons 3rd b-day party today! He loved it, and now I need to go make Playdo animals with him, and find which box I put the DVD player in so he can watch one of his new movies, grrrr......why didn't I label those d--- boxes better!

Vic

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello Vic;
    I will be happy to be available to bounce ideas off but I am by no means an expert. The great thing about this group is that you do not have alot of preconceived notions of what is "right" and what is "wrong". They do not exist it is just some things work better than others but there are also some things no one has tried before. Do not ask me what they are because I do not know or I would have tried them.
    Beth used to do a "secret squirrel" swap where she started a box with a stuffed squirrel in it as well as other things. Each person had to guess what his favorite food was and add it to the box when it was their turn. The next person would reveal what the person before had sent and at the end the winner would be announced. It was fun and Beth did a great job keeping the box moving. That is one of the challenges of a true round robin. Boxes have even been known to disappear completely but that is rare.
    Went out on the boat today took a trip on the Atlantic. It was beautiful out to sea, I almost needed a sweatshirt and it was 92 at home.
    We returned to the dock and sat on a friend's boat listening to music, having some cocktails and watching the sunset. I do have a wonderful life.
    diene

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i got to help my mom plant some celosia, aslyum, dianthus, well a bunch of stuff around the 3/4 circle, and it was really fun!! and then we went to lowes, west lake hardware, and home depot, to find what we wanted, then had to go to walmart, finally got what we wanted. YAY!!! LOL so now we got to go back to home depot and get some more of the things for her porch. and go to dollar general and see if they carry some at least 9" wide planters for her porch. so that'll be cool, then we'll get to buy some more plants!! and plant some more tomarrow!! LOL that will be awesome!! i'm so glad you had alot of fun at the sea diene!! uhh the rr sounds like fun dan, ahh are ya gonna keep to a red white and blue theme?? that would be awesome?? as in the flowers to send?? to pick from? gots to go many hugs medo

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmmmmmmm, Well Michele, I've been thinking. I know, I know, some of you are already getting ready to run. Well, sit back down. You too Linda!

July is the month we celebrate freedom, right? And not just one type of freedom, but a lot of different types. And how did we get those freedoms? Well, our forefathers decided that there were certain freedoms inherent in life, and since they weren't exactly receiving them from ol' Mother England, well, they left England, braved the Atlantic, and founded a few colonies here in North America. Then, when merry ol' Momma didn't get the hint, they fought out of her clutches and gained their independance. And, a few years later, here we are, freely communicating with one another, helping our gardens escape into the postal system, and establishing plant colonies of their own all over our fine nation.
    So, come July, we'll sign up for our Celebrating Freedom swap, I'll post partners, and we'll all be free to send whatever we wish to our partners by the deadline.
    I'll make a few suggestions along the way, provide some theme questions along the way, and ask everyone participating to provide suggestions on our thread, maybe giving someone else a nice idea or two too.
    So, there you have it. July, we're gonna keep it simple. And try to have some fun along the way.

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

sounds good to me, Dan.."swearing I"m hearing fife and drum in the distance"

• medontdo
    15 years ago

sounds cool to me!! i'm seeing tv n black and white, how weird is that?? kinda cool in a way!! LOL

• diene
    15 years ago

Hey Dan;
    What a great idea!! Really leaves it open for people to express themselves. I love it.
    It will be very interesting to see what people come up with. It will make it fun to hear about every box because there is no expectations. I am looking forward to this. diene

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Dan,
    Yes, that does sound like fun! But, I still may not be in it, we will see. Of course if it's send whatever you want.......hmmmm.......I've got lots of sagebrush, burdock, and some pretty little purple flower I posted on the "name that plant" forum! LOL! (then I would have to start a new group....."make new enemies"!)

Diene,
    Thanks for offering to help me, and yes, it sounds like you do have a wonderful life! Good for You!:)

Vic

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Hi all,

Vic, I am chuckling (NOT LAUGHING MIND YOU) at the you looking for "Pixiesplants.com lol ya won't find it on a website hon. I am the Pixie I think they were talking about but I don't sell DL's I just send them in trades when I can. Girlie girl you will be a great host so don't worry about that! You will have lots of help if needed, Tracy, Diene and Medo are some of the best but every "oldie" (sorry for lack of a better word right now) are great. Newer people (like me) are great also ;)

Dan your July swap sounds awesome. I am having some technical problems with my "robotics" but I am hoping to be able to play. We will see.

I hope everyone has a great night. Kiddo's (doggies) are tucked in and I am fixing to go swimming for a bit and then find my pillow.

Smiles,
    Trina

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

LOL Pix!! Yes, I knew you didn't sell them, but considering how much nicer the girls said yours were compared to the ones they bought maybe you should start!!

I just posted some pics on the OBF picture thread, If you look at them you guys will understand why I may not be in many RR's this summer! I have got a TON of work to do around here! It is a MESS!! They are having a contest to see who gets the most done in the yard or on a new project they start this month. I better get busy!!

Vic

• medontdo
    15 years ago

why thanks pixie!! but i'm definately not that good a host!! i just talk alot!! LOL i can definately keep ya'll talking!! that's for sure!! LOL i only been here one year in feb i think. although it don't seem like it!! it seems like much longer sometimes, but then when i'm getting into something its like only a week or so. LOL like when mom and i went shopping for plants, i knew about all the plants we were looking at, but do you know, i could not tell her about 1 of them, if they were perennials or annuals, of course west lake didn't have them marked and they wer'ent there to hlep out. it was a weird weekend for me, i was brain dead for me, LOL she talked to the doc and got me test strips, i did remember to ask for a new monistor, LOL its amazing some days that i can walk and talk!! LOL so when we went to lowes and i got some plant parts free, that was cool, only cuz she was like, medo, ask if you can have it. LOL my mom thinking for me!!! LOL now the next time she comes in, i will be more clear!! LOL that will be so cool!! it was the epilepsy thing, once a month for a week or so it does that, so i couldn't hold lucy that long, wich really sucked!! i wanted to for a long time, but ya know, i didn't want to drop her, errrrrrrrrr!!! LOL see with my plants i don't have to worry about that!@! LOL well, with most of them!! LOL its storming, and it wasnt supposed to. but that's cool as long as its nice tomarrow so i can hang up the clothes!! :')) hugs Medo

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

awww shucks Medo you are welcome and you don't give yourself enough credit.

Vic, lol trust me mine don't look very nice right now. I think I am neglecting alot of things lately.

I do have a request though. I don't care what Faith you are please keep me in your thoughts and prayers. I know that is selfish of me to ask but hey I am scared and I know I have friends here.

smiles,
    Pixie

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

I'll definatley keep you in my thoughts and prayers, Pixie...((HUG))

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Pix,
    I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers also! I'm sorry, when I seen the post earlier about you feeling better, I was thinking it was a spring cold or something like that! I have missed a lot being gone! HUGS from me too!!
    Vic

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Vic, Tell that little guy happy birthday for me. I have a 3 year old here and wow are they fun! He must have had a blast with all his new toys. I saw your pix on the obf thread. What project do you want to conquer first? I bet you have a million things that you want to do. I can't wait to hear about them. I think placing an order with Pixie might be a start! lol!

Diene, I am so glad to hear you had a nice time on the boat. I bet it was beautiful and refreshing in the cooler temps.

Trina, I am sending you big hugs. I wish I could be there with you while you are going through this. (((squish))) I am praying for you.

Dan, July sounds great to me too!

Tracy