Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veeja11

new: bfnewbie and oldie swap

veeja11
16 years ago

This is a swap to include some newbies in our group. Please sign up if you are a newbie or a current member of Bf. i will pair a newbie with one of our oldies. after the trade if you want to join our group, you can with just a good word from your trade partner. only items required are things you would like to share with your partner. Mail by july 15th. no hostess gift this is a side swap not a regular bf swap.come on newbies an easy in to the group and oldies a chance to meet someone new.

Comments (58)

• lil_green_thumb
    16 years ago

Hey Carol. You can pair me with a newbie also!

~Kimberly

• skohler
    16 years ago

Welcome back partner :))) when is your open house :))) ?/
    Sign me up with a newbie :)) . just be sure to get a st address & NOT JUST A PO BOX For them .
    I do not want my plants sitting at a post office for days . ;))

Happy gardening all
    susie

• laurieanngarris
    16 years ago

Can I join this as a newbie?

Thanks,
    Laurie

• raggedyann161420
    16 years ago

Carol,

I'm in, pair me up with someone ;O) :O)

I came home this morning with stomach flu, so me and my friend "the bucket" have been constant companions today.

Susie, I tried to get on to chat but it said the service is down. I got your wonderful package, sent you an e-mail, sent your boxes out today, and e-mailed you the confirmation numbers.

OK, time to go lay down.
    LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• Melinda Hagen
    16 years ago

Just a reminder to the newbies! Please post your wishes on your wish list and your haves if any. This makes it so much nicer and easier to find things for you to send. Thanks, melinda

• brandykay
    16 years ago

Im a NEWBIE and Id love to get in on this. Im going to update my list right now. Please let me know what info you need.

• veeja11
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thankyou oldies and welcome and thankyou to newbies, just e-mail me your addys. open house is july 4th here is a pic of my new dirt. Got 6 of them 60 yards. hugs carol{{gwi:1274247}}

• Vic Billings, MT
    16 years ago

Another Newbie here
    I want in Please!!!

Oh Carol, how I envy your black dirt!!! I have sand & weeds, and more sand, and more weeds, and....Well, you get the picture!

Vicky

• Melinda Hagen
    16 years ago

Good morning! I will still do a newbie if needed, but if you have enough without me, I probably need to sit this one out! I have some unexpected medical things pop up and not sure what will be going on next month. I already have a couple I am committed to do so don't want to get many more if I may not be able to do. So sorry! Thanks, Melinda

• Vic Billings, MT
    16 years ago

Melinda,
    Don't worry about being needed for the swap. If there is an odd number, I can sit this one out also. It's not like I don't have a million other things to do!

I hope everything is ok with you! And that it is nothing really bad!

I haven't heard from anyone on here for awhile, I hope I didn't scare them all off! lol

Vic

• veeja11
    Original Author
    16 years ago

one more week to sign up, come on newbies, your chance to get a packing lesson from an oldie.

• vela75
    16 years ago

Hi! I'm a newbie, but somewhat intimidated...I'm not sure I would have anything "good", most of my stuff is pretty common.

• Vic Billings, MT
    16 years ago

Don't worry Vela, mine is too! LOL
    I have been told that this is more about having fun and making new friends!
    Vic

• Melinda Hagen
    16 years ago

Thanks Vic for the kind words!! I have faith that this will be ok, won't know for sure until see the second dr. on the 25th! No need to sit out if it is an odd number! I can still do if they need an extra to do! Just not sure what July is going to bring! Will have to see after the appt on the 25th!
    And yes, Vela don't be intimidated! There are many very wonderful people on here who know that you are new and don't have alot right now! This is just a chance to make new friends, share something with each other, and have fun at the same time! It is also a chance to learn how to pack plants, send when saying or letting the other person know, and a chance to join in monthly to the group for all the other exchanges monthly!
    You can share plants, seeds, garden items, homemade things, bought things, whatever!
    So don't any of you newbies hesitate. You will really like the people from the group!
    Again, Vic thanks for the kind words! Email anytime! Melinda

• shadymeadow
    16 years ago

I'm a newbie and don't have a lot to trade yet, but I'd like to give this a try if it's not too late.

Thanks,
    Sandy

• Vic Billings, MT
    16 years ago

Melinda,
    Please keep us posted! And I faith that it will be ok also!
    I don't know what kind of issue you are having, but when I was pregnant (at 37 yrs old) my baby was thought to have had almost every problem under the sun, from downs syndrome to heart trouble to too short of legs! And several things in between! He is a perfectly healthy, happy 2 yr old and even a little taller than avg.!
    Thank God! Faith does work!

Veja,
    Like I told Melinda, if there is an odd number, I will sit this one out. Do we know how many we have so far?

Vic

• laurieanngarris
    16 years ago

Awwww....what a cutie!!!! 2 year olds are precious!

• veeja11
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Melinda, be well. we have 8 newbies and with Melinda 8 oldies. we could use more of both. where is old Maryanne, Maryellen and Beth? Welcome to all of you. hugs Carol

• vela75
    16 years ago

Vic! I recognize that young-un...you needed him identified on the "name that plant" forum! And a cute puppy too if I recall! LOL!

• Vic Billings, MT
    16 years ago

Vela, LOL! Yes I did!

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

sorry carol, i have to sit this out, everything for this month...way too much going on. sorry to miss this one, but if you run another of this type, i'll be sure to jump in at that time.

hope you all have fun! will be nice to see some new faces in our group.

maryanne

• Melinda Hagen
    16 years ago

Thanks again for the kind words! And your son is adorable! I am partial to little boys! I have 3 grandsons who are the light of my life and a grandaughter!!
    I will keep everyone posted as to whether I will be able to play for sure. Like I said it depends on what the doc says on the 25th!
    I am praying for everything to be ok and hoping to play!
    Have a great day everyone! Melinda

• rennep
    16 years ago

I too am a newbie and do not know anything about this. I am anxious to learn and to meet new friends. Let me know if it is too late. Thanks! Renne'

• beth_b_kodiak
    16 years ago

Sorry, but I'm out too. If we don't get some serious rain soon I won't have any plants left. I'm watering the hostas but everything else is dying from the hot dry weather. Even the pond is real low. Lower than it was last fall at the end of summer
    I find myself daily, wondering why I'm not still in Alaska. LOL I gotta laugh but it's really NOT funny

• vela75
    16 years ago

After Lots of thought, I have decided not to join at this time...I have a lot that needs done at home and have been very active in some other swaps and am kind of needing a computer break. I hope you offer this in the future sometime!

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

I think I am going to have to sit this one out, too.
    The heat seems to be frying the plants I send, so I'm not sure I want to risk someone else getting disapointed. It wouldn't be fair. :O(

• brandykay
    16 years ago

is this swap still going to happen?

• Vic Billings, MT
    16 years ago

I hope so.....I'm still in if it does!!!
    They seem to be dropping like flies!

Hazelnut,
    I am new to this plant sending also, but a GW member sent me this link to his page on how to pack and ship plants, it has helped me a lot! Intead of a plastic bag around the roots & newspaper, I use plastic wrap (tight) and then tape it on. So far, I have gotten good results, from what I've been told. (except for raspberries, they just don't seem to ship well)
    http://home.insightbb.com/~seagle/wsb/html/view.cgi-showresources.html-TopRes-Plants-2C-20Fruits-20-26-20Trees.html

I have also been told that in the hot weather that you should not put a grocery bag around the whole plant, that it can turn to mush.

And.......that is what this swap is for! Us newbies learning how to pack and finding out what we are doing wrong. That is one reason I wanted to join the swap.

Think about it before you decide not to! :0)

Here is a link that might be useful: pack & ship

• boballi
    16 years ago

I would like to join the bf swap, but if there is not enough oldies to match with every newbie, I will be more than happy to wait until next time.

PLMK,

Boballi : )

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Vic~ Thanks for all the tips.
    And you made a good point.
    I suppose if someone is willing to take a chance with me, I will stay in. I just don't want to disappoint someone with mushy or toasted plants! :O)

• playsndurt
    16 years ago

I would like to join in! :)

• 1fullhouse
    16 years ago

I'm still in too. I'm willing to take the chance, and it's a learning thing for me too. Just keep us updated!

• veeja11
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I need more oldies, welcome to all you newbies please send me your addys at veeja3@wmconnect.com i will try to get partner names out by monday. I got my iris planted today, still got 50 yards of dirt to move. I now live minutes from mcord airforce base and fort lewis army base so yound soldiers all over the place. wish I was younger. hugs carol

• shadymeadow
    16 years ago

Carol - We're almost neighbors. I live in Edgewood, which is between Milton and Fife. Small world.

Sandy

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    16 years ago

I can do this one. But I will be away the last week of July if that matters.
    Theresa

• mellen
    16 years ago

Carol, If you are needing another "oldie," you can count me in. Are you ready for your box yet from the "other" site? Love 'ya, Mary Ellen/Mellen

P.S. Newbies, Please, don't be intimidated by any of us oldies but sometimes "goodies" and what you see on our lists. We were "there" once upon a time, too. Special hugs to all of you!!!
    ME

• 1fullhouse
    16 years ago

Mellen - Seriously I have looked through some trade lists, and MAN is it intimidating!!! I think WOW, I wish I had HALF the stuff you guys want to get rid of! LOL Thanks for the hugs & encouragement. I'm sure in a few years I'll have plants & bulbs & seeds coming out my hooha! LOL

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

Newbie here! Would like to join if its not too late. Please!!

• sguanzon
    16 years ago

Carol, I can join as an "oldie" - just so everyone knows I don't have as many plants to go out as some might. But I can send houseplants and also things available in zone 9/10 and some things for 7 or 8 (not currently on my trade list).

Thanks for hosting, Carol, this is a good idea.

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

hi, I sent you an email asking about more info on this round robin...I would like to join in if there is still room, or if not ..maybe someone can tell me about the next one...I am a newbie...

• veeja11
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Welcome to all of you. Mellen I am ready. are you a granny yet? i left most of my plants so I may be in the newbie catagory, don't have windows here for my houseplants so I need a partner who wants house plants. I turn 60 next month, shouldn't I be dead ? I'm ancient. names on monday, so signups over sunday. hugs carol

• mellen
    16 years ago

Carol, I will get your pkg. to you. Thanks for letting me know. Me, a granny? Yikes, I better not be!!!!!!!!!!!! DS turned 21 and has a steady girlfriend, but there better NOT be a baby!!! He is our 'only,' fostered at 14, and adopted at 16. You about gave me a heart attack, friend! Turning 60 does not mean dead. Just a little moldy around the edges, maybe. Can't wait for my newbie name. Mellen

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

Hope everyone has a great day.I'm off to the local farmer's market.A lady had some Brown Eyed Susie Vines for sale last week.I found them after I had spent my pocket change >:o( Hoping she is there again today.Later....

• Vic Billings, MT
    16 years ago

Dirt, you are reading my mind! Was going to the market myself today! Thanks for the ray of sunshine! Vic

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Carol~House plants are always great....I can't get enough, myself! :O) It's too bad you don't have room for yours.

I am really intimidated here, also...the only plants I have are flowering bushes...and I might have a few bulbs. But I don't have much at all. I've only been in 1 other robin swap, so I'm just getting started!!
    I hope that I don't disappoint my partner!!

• Vic Billings, MT
    16 years ago

Hazelnut, you worry too much!
    If they don't like it, they can always use it in the next robin they get in LOL! Who knows, you might end up with some of it back! LOL

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

We might end up playing a game of 'Guess who's getting the forsythia THIS time?" !!
    Or "The Rose of Sharon that traveled the U.S. in 80 days".

LoL.

Geeze. Then I really WOULD feel bad! :O)

• veeja11
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Names tomorrow meanwhile please make sure I have your mailing addy and post a wish list on the new wish list thread names of players
    Hazelnutbunny
    Smh78
    Laurieanngarris
    brandykay ?
    Viczn5
    Shadymeadow
    Rennep
    Plasndart
    dirtundermynails
    Flwrs4ever
    Remy
    Veeja
    Nyvoices99
    DebA
    Ilovefranc
    lilgreenthumb
    Skohler
    Raggedyann
    Theresa24
    Mellen
    Squanzon
    Melinda if you need to sit out susie and I will take 2. be sure to post a wish list and send addy to veeja3@wmconnect.com hugs carol

• brandykay
    16 years ago

WHY IS THERE A ? BY MY NAME. I THINK I SENT ME INFO TWICE. IF YOU DONT HAVE IT LET ME KNOW.

• boballi
    16 years ago

I don't see my name on the list. I will send my info again.

I hope it goes through this time.

boballi : )