Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brittneysgran

NEW: obf june vacation swap

brittneysgran
13 years ago

Ok I think I have it.

This month we will send our swap partner on a fabulous and fun vacation. The twist is you will tell where you are sending your partner by a story and in this story you will use the plants, items and etc you are sending to your partner. For instance say I am sending to Carol.

I start by sending Carol to Jamacia and she gets to see a TEQUILA SUNRISE (which is an Aquilegia plant). She and Hubby visit the (ARTEMISIA POWIS CASTLE). It has a PURPLE DOME (which is a New England Aster). For lunch they have PEACHES AND CREAM (astible) The PEACH BLOSSOMS (astible) are gorgeous here.

Sign ups will be until Monday June 7th. I know I have plants that need dividing so hopefully we can send our swap partner on a super nice vacation. Cheap too.

Playing

Shirley

Carol

Comments (133)

• luckyladyd
    13 years ago

Hi Everybody,

Looks like some great vacations are being taken! I've been vacationing in he** these past few weeks. Our kitchen is ripped out, we are sleeping in the apartment over the garage and can't walk over lots of the area in the main house; the siding guys begin banging and yelling at 7-7:30 in the morning and I am constantly on the road to pick up things from the blacksmith (!!really!!) the woodworking shop, the builders' supply, and the Home Depot! Even had to search four Vt. slate yards for the tiles for the front porch on Friday. I am KNACKERED! My poor little dog is just riddled with anxiety over the things that are moved and the fact that we sleep other places. And to make it all worse, DH left on a trip today. Arggggg!

Okay, venting over.
    I've had a little time to get in the garden and water things and to pick raspberries. They are great this year and seem to be coming just in the amounts we can use. My Australian pumpkins are climbing the bamboo trellis I made for them, and have gotten to the top (which is over 7' tall). There are several pumpkins on them. The experts say they will produce these 30 lb. pumpkins up in the air! We'll see.

Shirley, that ghost story is amazing. My favorite hairdresser quit last month to go chase ghosts. She is really into the equipment and the hunt, etc. I don't know what to think about it all.

Bunny, I babysat for my granddaughter and grandson yesterday for 11 hours. I think I can relate to the terrible twos - and threes. My son has one of each. I was SO glad to come home and have a glass of wine at 1 AM!

It's really hot here today. I am resisting turning on the a/c as the house is open so much with the construction, it would be pointless/expensive.

Remy, you were right about the birds' being apart from each other. The little chickadees all fledged and I've seen three babies eating with their parents at the feeders in the last couple of days. The wrens are fledging, too. Saw one parent calling to the babes inside and one came out and flew about six feet, then returned to the nest! There are evidently more inside the birdhouse, as the parents keep going in with food. We have at least three nestboxes with wren babies in them at the moment. I love their songs. DH and I sit on a bench in our Pjs near one of the birdhouses in the morning with our coffee and watch them. They really seem to keep the mosquitoes down. I figure we've had at least 30 birds hatched in our yard so far this year.

Hope everyone had a good weekend. I'm off to find dinner.

Dottie

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Vina,
    I'm glad your package made it to you sooner than the post office predicted. I have not seen the Charleston Tea Plantation or the Aquarium there so it sounds like I need another trip to Charleston, too! LOL
    Jeanne

• earthlydelights
    13 years ago

good morning everyone. hope you are all keeping cool. as much as i love the blooms of summer, i sure don't care much for the heat. spent the last few days up the mountains, and it was even hot up there. i just can't imagine what july and august are going to be like.

some great boxes being sent so far. very imaginative.

so theresa, have you looked through BP catalogue yet? pick anything good? can't wait to hear what you have decided to order.

shirley, quite an interesting news story (thanks for posting the link remy). wonder what would have happened had it appeared during business hours. we lived in a house many years ago that there was a mother and son "spirit". strange to be in that type of environment, especially when things upset those spirits.

remy, congrats to your cuz, what an honor.

dottie your construction sounds insane, but thankfully you have another living space to escape to. i'm sure it's going to be wonderful when it's all done.

melissa, lili is too cute and your lillies are just gorgeous. i have lots of them, always adding more, but one in particular this year bloomed like something i have never seen. the earth and the sun must be the most ideal place for it. the blooms are massive and the color is a little darker than apricot with a maroon like inside. i'm sure the tag is out there somewhere, but who cares, it's one of the most gorgeous blooms. i am beginning to wonder if i should dig up the lillies from everywhere else and place them in that area.

i hope everyone is going well, keeping cool and getting a lot of blooms. can you believe it is almost july? where the heck did this year go already?

maryanne

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maryanne-I'm with you where has this year gone? I find it strange that sometime you will pick the perfect spot for a certain plant and it sure shows in the blooms.

Dottie-I don't envy your re-modeling but it sure is nice when it is finished. Please post pictures.

I gave my re-modeling money to my Son for a deck this year.
    DH went and helped build it so I can't wait to go and see it. He really wanted and needed it added to the front of his house so I'm happy for him and Tracy. I don't think we ever quit helping our kids no matter what age.

Jeanne-What a nice vacation you sent Vina on. We really have a talented group here.

Remy-I have everything ready for your vacation so be packed and ready to go. LOL I will mail it tomorrow.

With a very sad note I am selling most of my daylilies. I went today and put the ad in the local newspaper. The sale starts Thursday so I asked off work Thursday and Friday. I hope I'm not to sad when they are gone but I just can't keep up with all the weeding, watering and care they need. I counted all the flower beds and have over 30. Some are huge and my age is catching up with me. DH complains about all the work and says life is passing us by. I do know it is for the best. I will keep my newer ones and some that I cannot part with.

I will think of a game for this week and a nice prize. Could be a daylily.

Shirley

• veeja11
    13 years ago

Sue, it won't stop raining here, so box is still not packed. does anyone know if I am hosting the july swap ?Shirley could I pay you to ship a big box of daylilies to Sue ? does Sue even like daylilies ? I think all this rain may have turned my brain to mush. hugs to abf carol

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Having a really hard time posting this, but I will try again. Luckily I saved what I had typed...

I had a nice day yesterday. Every summer Park Seed in Greenwood has a special week when they give garden tours and have a wonderful sale. I went there yesterday and got some great plants (annuals) and even seeds at a reduced price. Mostly I got coleus but also a 6 pack of beautiful begonias that are supposed to like heat (hooray!) I know I could have filled the car with all the great plants -- and at those wonderful prices it is hard to resist -- but I did not get a cart so I was limited to what I could carry and hold while I waited in line and then could carry to my car. (Smart thinking on my part or it all would have been too tempting!)

They had trees, roses, shrubs, all sorts of plants --- I stuck to the 6-packs and small containers. Once I got home though I realized I probably should have bought more packets of seeds. I only came home with 6 packets. (...but I really don't need seeds either... how do we accumulate so much?)

On that note, Shirley, I am so sorry to hear you are giving up your daylilies, but I totally understand. I have gotten some beautiful ones from you over the past few years. I would be like Carol (Carol, could we maybe share your rain?) and ask you to mail some to me and let me pay you for the daylilies and postage, but I have no idea where I would plant them, so I guess I will be good and curb my thoughts! LOL ( However, if you don't sell all that you need to sell, check back with me... oh, the temptation!!!)

Don't worry, Remy, the plants you will be sending are totally welcome. I realized that didn't sound too welcoming towards them. I will be digging out some of the non-productive plants in the fall and redoing some areas My newer plants spend a year or so in containers and that really helps them in this hot, sunny place! In the containers, I can really saturate them with water and they can get their roots well-established. With nearly all my containers, I move them into a semi-shady location for most of the summer which I'm sure they appreciate! In the spring and fall, they get placed where there is more sun.

I'll try to post some photos when I get a chance. Does anyone else have AOL and therefore have problems posting pictures through GardenWeb and Photobucket? I could not get it to work at all for the past year or so. Now I load my pictures some other way --- more complicated which is why I don't post pictures very often. I think it has to do with the virus protection, blocking the pop-ups from GardenWeb etc., but that is just a guess.

Have a good week, everyone!
    Jeanne

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carol-Let me know if Sue would like Daylilies and I can do it. I have 100's selling for $3.00 each. Can send you a list.

Jeanne-I know how hard it is to pass up good deals on plants. I need to buy me some blinders when I go into a store with plants. My pictures seem to post ok but I don't have AOL.

Ms. Bunny your Japanese iris is on its way. Hope it blooms for you next year.

Remy-Get ready for your vacation it is on its way.

OK GAME TIME::::::::::::::::
    THE WINNER GETS THIS DAYLILY::::::::::::::

Brer Rabbitts Baby

Question: Tell me my Mom's first name:

Shirley

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is what I have for the next 6 months on our swaps.

July-Carol (Christmas in July)
    Aug-
    Sept-Dottie
    Oct
    Nov-Jeanne (Book Swap)
    Dec

If anyone has taking Aug, Oct or Dec and I forgot please
    let me know.

Shirley

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi there!

Shirley, I am so sorry about your daylilies. Some years from now that may be me with my iris', and I just get sad thinking about it. :0( My mother in law loves daylilies and I would be very interested in your list. Her birthday is in October and this could be an early gift for her. She is so hard to shop for. I have a paypal account or can send you a money order. Whichever you want. And I know they will be going to a good home.***hugs***

April...you back from your vacation yet? I didn't want to mail out your "vacation" until I hear from you.

Talk to you soon!
    vina

• dirt_under_my_nails
    13 years ago

Morning All!!

Vina~ Yep, I'm home. We got in on Sunday. Still getting caught up on garden chores. Who knew weeds take over in 8 days??

Shirley~I guess your mom's name is....Lucy. Also I think I'm hosting Oct.

later...April

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Shirley,
    Send me a list of the daylilies you have for sale. I don't know if I will buy or not, but I've GOT to see the list and look it over. LOL
    Jeanne

• annette_1964
    13 years ago

Shirley,

My guess is your mother's name is Grace.

Annette

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Clue No. 1...it starts with B

Will send the list for those who want it.

Shirley

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

I think we'll need a hint or two, Shirley. LOL I will guess Blanche.

jeanne

• veeja11
    13 years ago

Shirley I need a list, I checked Sue's page she likes days. Do you accept paypal or should I mail you a check ? Sue any special colors, gonna get us both some. will post july swap by sunday everyone get ready for christmas. thankyou Shirley, it actually didn't rain today but is suppose to be back tonight. big hugs wet carol

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi everyone!

My guess is Beatrice.

April getting your box ready.:0) So you can go on another vacation :0)...I think I am going to wait until Monday to ship it's been crazy raining here...thunder/ lightening. And yesterday we even had and earthquake!! It registered a 5.0 In NY...this weather is getting really weird.

Shirley, I mentioned to my MIL about your daylilies...she is very excited! Can't wait to see that list.:0)

Have a great day!
    vina

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Vina-The list is headed your way. Please send some of your rain. Very dry and hot here.

I think I have sent a list to everyone that wanted one. I try to get out there in early morning because you can't stand it when that sun comes up.

April-Glad you are back... I HATE WEEDS

2) CLUE The second letter of Mom's name is A

Shirley

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Guessing again...
    Barbara?

Jeanne

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

My guess again... Bambi?

vina

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    13 years ago

JEANNE YOU ARE THE WINNER OF - BRER RABBITS BABY - Congratulations on your new daylily.

July-Carol (Christmas in July)
    Aug-
    Sept-Dottie
    Oct-April
    Nov-Jeanne (Friction Frenzy - Select and Steel by Author)
    Dec

I think I am about to have a heat stroke. I've been outside most of the day.

Shirley

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Jeanne,
    Congrats on the win!
    I didn't get your box out. I got bogged down with orders which is a good thing I suppose, but it backs me up on everthing else. I did get most of the story written so I'm going to get it out on Monday, fingers crossed.

Shirley,
    I can't believe you are saying good by to many daylilies, but if you have that many, I understand. That is like a small daylily farm!

Vina,
    I was sitting at a table working on orders when the earthquake happened. I was alone and I could feel it. It was a subtle moving feeling. I though this is either an earthquake, I have a medical condition, or I'm losing my mind, lol.

Talk to you all later,
    Remy

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

There is weird weather everywhere this year. It's unbelievable.
    We've had 2 earthquakes here in the last 2 months. They've been tiny- just 2.5 or so- but for Arkansas, it's downright strange. I think the last BIG one we had was back in the late 1800's, early 1900's.
    And the heat is awful. We've hit 100 3 times already this month. We only hit that 2 times TOTAL last year.
    Crazy, I tell ya!

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Shirley,
    So I'm losing my eyesite or something, lol. I just went on the porch and your box was there! It all looks great : )
    Here's the story that was enclosed I copied it since if I typed it it would take forever. I'm not a good typer.

Thank you so much Shirley for the wonderful vacation!! I enjoyed all the stops. I like how you worked Gary into it too : )

Ok, got to get everything out and in pots,
    Remy

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

I'm excited to have won the guessing game. I have lots of friends with the name Barbara --- excellent name!

Remy, you went on a great trip!

Well, I need to head outside to water plants. The temperatures are so high that it won't do a lot of good, but at least will give the plants a fighting chance.

Jeanne

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

Shirley- the iris arrived today! Thanks so much! I'll get it planted tonight, when it's cooler.

• sguanzon
    13 years ago

Carol, I LOVE daylilies and the evergreen or semi-evergreen work the best for me, can't seem to keep the dormant ones alive....how sweet of you both (Carol/Shirley)
    But dont' worry because I am late sending to Melissa too!

Melissa email me your addy and I'll get your box out real soon!

It's 110 or so here. We tied the record for lowest humidity yesterday --- 2 percent!!! This heat justs sucks all the moisture out of everything it seems.

Oh well, maybe next month we'll get some rain....

Don't forget to email me your address, Melissa.

Hope everyone is well

Sue G.

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Happy Sunday!

Remy, I was working at the computer and the monitor started shaking and I looked at my daughter and asked her to stop kicking the desk. She looked at me all weird and said "its not me!" I thought the same thing you did, either we are having an earthquake or I am losing my mind. Everything shook, but nothing broke and it was over really quick. So weird!!

Shirley I got your email. I haven't had a chance to go through all your wonderful daylilies yet. There are so many! And I know that your ad went in this week, so if you've had anyone buying you out could you let me know what you have left. That might help me narrow it down. :0)

April, putting the finishing touches on your vaca- box today. Mailing out tomorrow. Hope you enjoy...
    I'll post the DC tomorrow.

Off to a Polish-American festival today. There's a polka band, professional dancers, pony rides and of course some weird food to try. I'm going for the craft tents, my daughter is going for the PONIES! :0)

Have a great Sunday!
    vina

• annette_1964
    13 years ago

Shirley,

I would love to have a list of your daylilies. The middle of this week is suppose to be in the 80's. We have had heat around 100 every day for several weeks. My plants are just drying up even though I am watering them. I reckon it is from the heat as I recently read that more plants die from the heat than lack of water.

Stay cool everyone.
    Annette

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Jeanne,
    I did get your vacation out to you today. I'm sure you are going to enjoy your trip!

Vina,
    Lol, about blaming your daughter. Hope you had some pierogies at the Polish festival. Did they have Polish pottery? I love that stuff!

The weather has been whackadoo here. Hot and sunny and then downpouring, hot and sunny and then down pouring, repeat, lol. So now the backyard is a swamp and there are mosquitoes everywhere!!!
    Talk to you all later,
    Remy

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

I'll be watching for my vacation, Remy. Thanks for posting that it was mailed.
    We have not been getting any rain and with the heat up in the mid-90's to 100 or above, so many of my plants look pretty bad. I'm sure some will not make it. The ones in the containers fare better because it is pretty easy to get about half an inch or so of water into each container. In the ground, the ground is so hard, that the water just sort of runs off and doesn't soak in. I had to deal with a flat tire and a doctor's appointment this morning so I didn't get to water and when I went out this evening to water, this was the worse condition I have seen the plants in so far. Hopefully I can give them a better watering tomorrow. Found my first tomato hornworm of the season, too. Arg! At least I have lots of spare tomato plants with all the seeds that I sowed!
    Stay cool, everyone!
    Jeanne

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hey all!

Remy, rain...humid...rain...humid...mosquitoes...flood...You could be in my back yard :0) Some of my asiatics and oriental lilies are starting to flower and they are only about 12 inches or so tall. They are so water soaked they didn't even get to there full height. I hope they don't rot.

I didn't see any pottery...but I didn't get to see all the crafters either. My daughter fell in love with a white pony named Misty and we spent a good part of the afternoon with her. Boy! I'm glad all I had was the mini-van or she would have wanted to take that pony home with us. She kept saying "mommy go get the trailer, she'll like it at our house." Whoo boy! That girl needs her own pony! Now I just have to convince DH :0)

But I did have some pierogies (sp????) and some kaputsa. It was really good!

Wow Jeanne, I wish we had just some of your weather, maybe I could dry some plants out.

April, your box is on the way...:0)
    DC# 0307 1790 0002 5604 8354

Have a great night everybody!
    vina

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Shirley sends to Remy - Sent - Received
    Melissa sends to Carol - Sent - Received
    Jeanne sends to Vina - Sent - Received
    Carol sends to Sue G
    Annette sends to Shirley
    Vina sends to April
    April sends to Annette - Sent - Received
    Remy sends to Jeanne - Sent
    Sue sends to Melissa

Vina-So far all the ones I sent you a list of I still have. We dug in several other beds so those are safe for now. We had a good week-end and met lots of nice folks. That is a part I really like. Of course any one who likes flowers is nice. LOL

Annette-I will send you the list.

Jeanne & Sue your daylilies will ship Wed.

April-Hopefully yours will go out Thursday but I will let you know for sure.

Remy-How did the Brigadier General Affair turn out? How lucky you are to attend such an honorable event.

Stay cool everyone

Shirley

• sguanzon
    13 years ago

Melissa,

Your vacation box went out to you yesterday. Hope you enjoy!

Let me know if you don't have it by Wednesday and I'll send you the conf #.

Sue G.

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi Shirley!
    Sent you an email about your daylilies

vina

• dirt_under_my_nails
    13 years ago

My vacation from Vina is below!!

Pack your bags April....
    You are headed across the pond~~ to jolly old England!Accompanied with your tour guide(book) for a day trip through the English country side. You stop to admire the rolling green fields full of wild (Iris:Wild Apache)flowers and the billowy white(Iris noid Double White) clouds.

Feeling a bit peckish you decide to stop at a road side inn for a pot(Pink Ceramic Water pot)of tea(White Tea Soap).But your love of coffee knows no bounds so you decide to try the Italian Espresso(Italian Espresso) along with some delicious dark chocolte cookies(mmm!Delicious Cookies).With such gracious hospitality the inn-keeper asks you to stay the night. But due to your hectic schedule you know it's time to head back on the road.

Back on the road you start back to London where you notice small pink(Iris: Double Light Pink)figures way ahead of you. Getting closer you see that you are at Windsor Castle and the pink figures are indeed the red coats of the guards. The flagis not flying above the castle so therefore the queen is not at home.

Heading to the airport you feel very tired from your busy tour and decide to rest on the plane.Being that the airline has overbooked coach, you get bumped to spacious first class where you receive the presidental(Iris: President Pilkinton)treatment. Hot towels,leg room & unlimited champange you feel like Queen Victoria(Iris: Victoria Falls).With your eyes closing & feeling very peaceful you know that THIS is the very best part of your trip!

Vina~What a great trip!! Many thanks for all the iris & treats!!!

later...April

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

Hi Sue~ No box today, but it's not so surprising. My priority packages have been taking 4-5 days to reach me lately. I'm not sure why. Frustrating, though!
    But that's OK...good things come to those who wait! :o)

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

A big thank you to Remy who always sends a wonderful package! You get everything packaged so nicely and the plants arrive in really good shape. They are very large, beautiful plants --- some even came with blossoms on them! Of course, it helped that the mail came when we were at home today and it was cloudy and a bit cooler so the plants did not get all wilted while the mailman drove around with them. (Okay, enough of all that... everyone wants to know where I went and what was in the box...)

Remy sent me on a vacation to Western New York. I actually plan to do that as soon as I can. When I was in high school, I lived in Depew, NY, which is not far from where Remy lives. Anyway, I only lived there for two years before heading off to college and there was a lot in the area I never saw so I want to go back and see the "old neighborhood" and some friends from when I lived there and see some new things I never knew existed! Of course, we saw Niagara Falls many times (and every time someone from out of town came to see us), but it's a wonderful sight and I want to go there again, too. That is the only place Remy sent me to that I have seen so lots to see and do for me.

Here goes with Remy's tale. Remy starts out my trip with Niagara Falls and she sent a Niagara Falls magnet for me to remember the visit. We went to Cave of the Winds and I comment that it is just like a "Stariway to Heaven" (Stairway to Heaven iris --- I looked up the picture, wow, it is so beautiful!!!)

Then we go into Canada to see the Butterfly Conservatory and see a butterfly land on a pentas plant. (Remy sent me a Butterfly White Pentas.) Back in the US, we stop at world famous Dicamillo's Bakery and that is represented by some Chocolate Biscotti. Yum! Then we go to the Buffalo Botanical Gardens and see miniature sedums. (Remy sent me a variety of miniature sedums.) Then on the way back to Remy's house, we stop at Wegnman's for food. (Remy sent me the cutest shopping bag from Wegman's with a tomato design on it. We have none this pretty at our stores!

When I visit Remy's garden, I ask her about a neat looking variegated plant and it is variegated calamint and Remy sent one for me. Then Remy notices that her pot ghetto is way too large for this time of the year and gives me Salvia azurea to take home with me. In her vegetable garden, I see valerian which has a delicious vanilla scent --- and yes, I got that plant, too! What a wonderful day and what wonderful souvenirs I have from that trip!

Thanks again, Remy!

Jeanne

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Jeanne,
    You know it was east to put the box together since we've talked of you coming to visit : ) Glad you liked your vacation!

April,
    You got to go on a really nice vacation too!

Vina,
    Pony?! Those are a lot of work. Sounds like the festival was a good time.

Shirley,
    The Brigadier General ceremony went good. His daughter Sarah who is a captain in the army got to be the Emcee. One of my other cousin's daughter who is in 4th grade sang the national anthem. She did better than a lot of adults! This a pic of David and my cousin Karen.

Remy

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Good morning all!!

April, so glad your box made it. I have been splitting iris and I figured with the heat you were having that had the best chance of making it to you in one piece.

Jeanne, that sounds like a fabulous trip! I have been to most of those places and they are fabulous! However, the Butterfly Conservatory I have not been too. And it sounds wonderful! That might make a good 2 day trip for the family. HHHHMMMMMMMM......

Remy, Beautiful picture! Wow! a 4th grader getting up in front of all those people and singing the national anthem. That is a very hard song. She should be so proud of herself!!

Still working on the pony idea. :0) We already have horses. I should say we only have 1 right now. A retired Tenn. Walker named Boogie. At the height of our horse"y"ness we had 8. Talk about a lot of WORK! I used to get up at around 4am to feed and muck stalls everyday. They were all older and had some medical problems and we took them all in. I only had 1 show horse at the time and 7 "lawn ornaments" as DH called them. They have all gone over the Rainbow Bridge now and we are down to Boogie. And I think he may be in need of a friend. He's 17 hands tall and VERY Big for my daughter. He's kind of intimidating to a 6 year old. So she needs one her size. :0)

Have a super Thursday everyone! Weather is finally beautiful today. High 70's, partly cloudy with a nice breeze. We'll be outside all day...
    vina

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

Whew, Vina...17 hands is big for just about ANYBODY! LOL! We had one that was 16, and I'm only 5'3" (in shoes!)...so I pretty much needed a stepladder or a man to heft me up. ;o) You can bet, I prefer the man. LOL
    My daddy started me off on an apaloosa (sp!) mare when I was 3. Her name was Sugar. Great memories! Even my first time being thrown is fun to think about. I was 4, and she got startled by a snake. Poor baby really didn't mean to, and when she realized what she'd done, she picked me up by my shirt & nuzzled my face, checking me out for injuries. Sure miss that horse!
    Anyway...sorry for the rambling...I hope you find a good friend for your daughter (and for Boogie!)

Jeanne~ Remy sent you on a wonderful trip! Sounds like you had fun. I hope so! :o)

Remy~ Great picture & thanks for sharing! What an awesome occasion!

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

I went on vacation today! And what a lovely one it was, too!!
    Here's where Sue sent me:

Melissa was sent to Portland, Oregon- the "City of roses".
    She visited many of the famous gardens in Portland and couldn't resist taking out her PRUNING SHEARS and taking some cuttings of the MINI PINK ROSES. These gardens even had some ROSEMARY which smelled quite nice! She also couldn't resist picking up some SEEDS and BULBS and made sure she got some PLANT MARKERS to remember to mark them when she plants them back home.
    When she got back to the hotel room, she enjoyed her ROSE SCENTED BATH SET and lit her WHITE CHOCOLATE CANDLE to relax. Then she took out her NOTECARDS to write a note to her FAMILY(CANDLE HOLDER) about the beautiful gardens she saw that day.color>

What a fun box! And it's so ironic, because just a few days ago, hubby & I were discussing Oregon...throwing around places we are considering moving to...and thought we might want to visit there in the next few years. LOL!

Thank you, Sue! I really enjoyed my vacation! It was a wonderful surprise!
    Hugs,
    Melissa

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carol sends to Sue G - Sent by Shirley for Carol
    Annette sends to Shirley
    Vina sends to April - Sent - Received
    Remy sends to Jeanne - Sent - Received
    Sue sends to Melissa - Sent - Received

Amost finished with the June vacation swap. As soon as Sue and I receive we will close this swap.

Whew what a week I have had, very very busy. Really been moving lots of daylilies and thats good.

Yesterday DH and I both went to Markets to sale. When we are not going to be here Eddie takes up the signs leading to the house for selling the daylilies. When he returned he found $31.00 stuck in the door. We could not figure who ot why anyone would give us $31.00. WELL......I just figured it out. Someone dug up my daylily Pretty Gaudy and took the whole plant. Only the metal tag was left.

April I do believe you were the one who wanted that daylily. Needless to say it is gone. It was a really nice one too.

On another note my E-mails cannot be retrieved. What a week I've had and I cannot get on my e-mails. Verizon switched to Frontier and everytime I click on the site it tells me I am not connected to the internet. I can go any place else but not that one. Yeesh I have it in for them when I call.

Sorry to those who have sent me e-mails wanting the daylily list. I know Vina and Annette needed it.

April I do not remember all the ones you wanted either. When I can read e-mails again I will get your daylilies sent to you.

Jeanne and Sue....Your daylilies were shipped Wednesday.

Shirley

• sguanzon
    13 years ago

Shirley,

Have not received the box yet, hopefully tomorrow....?

Did you get a trackng number...it's odd that it wouldn't have come by Saturday. But I've been hearing priority mail has been unusually slow.....

Thanks for a great month, Carol.

Sue G.

• dirt_under_my_nails
    13 years ago

Shirley~ you're right that was one that I wanted! Just add Century House to my list instead.

later...April

• veeja11
    13 years ago

Since I cheated this month. Sue is going on a vacation to Shirleys house, where she started digging the daylily plants and packed them in her suitcase. Shirley being the special person she is, helped dig and pack. hope you enjoyed your vacation miss Sue. hope you enjoyed meeting Shirley
    hugs carol

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Shirley, I got the daylily list and sent you a want list. I'm wondering if you received it with all your internet troubles going on? I was interested in, if you still have them:
    Lion King
    Green Dolphin Street
    Big Apple
    Fires of Fuji

Can you email me a total for what I owe you. I have a paypal account or I can send you a money order, since an out of state check is a big pain in the booty! :0) Just let me know...

Happy 4th everyone!!
    vina

• annette_1964
    13 years ago

Hi Shirley,

I got your vacation in the mail today. Sorry about the delay, but it has been too hot and humid here to dig or send plants. Had a few cooler days over the weekend, but is suppose to get really hot again the middle of the week.
    Hope your plants arrive safely. Your confirmation # 9405 5036 9930 0279 3785 33.

Please let me know when you receive them and if they survived the journey.

Have a great day,
    Annette

• sguanzon
    13 years ago

Pant pant pant.......

Just got back from jogging to Shirley's for my daylily dig!

The WISEST OF WIZARDS certainly FOOLED ME with the DREAM LEGACY that transported me to Shirley's daylily gardens! For a minute I thought I was in the BIG APPLE! A RUFFLED APRICOT and RED GRACE enticed me but I confess I was pretty SCATTERBRAINED while digging those daylily's -- a POLYNESIAN LOVE SONG kept playing in my head!.Jogging back was easier since I left in the MIDNIGHT MAGIC and had the SEMINOLE WIND at my back. When I got home I needed a DOUBLE BOURBON to bring me back to normal!

Thanks Shirley/Carol. Great month.

Sue G.

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sue----that was wonderful...great job. Hope you have tons of blooms next year.

I also went on a fabulous vacation thanks to Annette.

Hi Shirley and Family,
    Pack your bags for your vacation to Myrtle Beach, SC. You will be staying at the Myrtle Beach Resort condos (2 bedrooms, 2 baths, full kitchen, queen sleeper sofa and balcony facing the beach.)

ROSE CHAMPION will be at the desk to check you in for your week vacation.
    AMBER MIST (coneflower) will be available for anything you need in your condo.

The Resort is beautifully landscaped with lots of daylilies, HEADY WINE, SMALL GESTURE, LUCKY DRAW (which has a very big red eye) and WATCHYL LAVENDER BLUE, planted in lots of beds.

One shade bed had TOAD LILIES blooming, even though they are small they make a statement.

One bed was full of COLUMBINES blooming in all colors.

Enclosing a Grand Strand coupons and map of Myrtle Beach. Also a magnet for your refrigerator to remind you of this trip. Also a keychain with sand from beach on inside. Myrtle Beach guide with coupons inside as there are lots to do at the beach. Many places to eat, lots of golf courses, great shopping, water sports, flea markets and theaters for entertainment.

Have a great time at the beach, "Sun Fun City"

Thanks so much Annettee it seemed like I was right there.

I love all my plants and it's always fun to vacation at the Beach.

Carol sends to Sue G - Sent - Received
    Annette sends to Shirley - Sent - Received
    Vina sends to April - Sent - Received
    Remy sends to Jeanne - Sent - Received
    Sue sends to Melissa - Sent - Received

This swap is officially over and I do hope everyone enjoyed their wonderful vacations.

Shirley

• veeja11
    13 years ago

Thankyou Shirley, you saved my lil (big) behind. Sue glad you enjoyed your trip. thankyou for your patience love your story. big hugs to all. finally found out why I've been sick. I did some damage to my shoulder from sun on mothers day, so everytime I get in sun it flares up again. dr gave me some steriod pills and I'm much better although I seem to be growing hair on my chest, but fellin lots better