Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladygreensleeves

NEW: Plantaholics Anonymous Houseplant Swap #1

ladygreensleeves
15 years ago

I would like to invite everyone that loves houseplants as much as I do to join in this Round Robin.

This is a first time for me to be a hostess for a Round Robin and would like to make this a wonderful experience for everyone who joins in.

Sign up until 15TH of August. Boxes to be sent out no later than 30TH of August.

Heres the rules:

Send at least 4 or more if you want of plants/cuttings rooted or unrooted that are indoor plant related. Can't send just all one type like African Violet leaves.

After signing up please send me an email (make sure your email is linked to your account or I can't email you and neither can your swap partner!!!)with your updated want list and have list (houseplant related) and I will do my best to coordinate your haves and wants with someone else.

Boxes should be mailed priority with confirmation/tracking numbers so that plants don't get lost in the mail. Please also notify your swap partners of those dates mailed and numbers.

If in case you need to drop out,let us know, we are only human and things happen, we will understand.

Boxes should be sent out on Mondays,Wednesday's or Saturday's so they don't get stuck in the P.O. over the weekend. August is the hottest month of the year!

And most importantly I insist that everyone who joins has fun or else I'll sic my mnf friends on ya....(((HUGS)))

Comments (150)

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh HUGS!!! Fran and I were going stir crazy with the echos here. HEHEHE Glad to see you are back, how is everything going? Did you find yourself day dreaming and planning your gardens yet? :)

• ladygreensleeves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey everyone! How was your weekend! Been laid up myself...back is giving me problems, will probably have to have facet injections or epiderals for the pain control again(really hate those procedures).
    On the plus side I did pick up 4 of the prettiest mini roses for 10 bucks.
    The heat has been bad here too with a promise of rain everyday,sometimes we get the rain ,sometimes we don't. Hear the rumble of thunder as it gets closer gets dark, windy and then pfft gone....and then other times won't be a cloud in the sky, sun shining and all of a sudden a downpour... liquid sunshine.....raining on one side of the street but not on the other side....that's Florida for ya!

Would love to get my hands on some good fresh peachs, ya'll have been making me crave some. I won't buy them at the grocery, they always smell really good, but are nasty and dry or sour. I like them to run down my chin and arm when I eat them.....mmmmmmmmmmmmm,yummmmmmy!

Alrighty then back to the trivia questions. The answer was California Redwood or sometimes called Coast Redwood and Giand Sequoia are the tallest and largest living organisms in the world.
    ncgardengirl takes the points (10)

Question 10:

What makes up about 85% of all greenery on the earth?
    good luck!

• elaine5678
    15 years ago

Is it the plant life in the oceans? Did I win? Did I win??

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

HEY!!! Yes, I have been daydreaming about my new garden! lol
    I have to figure out how to take cuttings of this climbing rose so I can send some cuttings out if anyone wants some. lol
    I've gotta chop down the privet hedge and move the hydrangea.....then it's on to the good stuff! hehe

I put all of my Hoya plants into sturdy hanging pots I got for 50 cents each at Stacys.....and wouldn't ya know it,the hangers the people who did live here put up...one of them didn't hold out and dumped my rubra on the porch....you can imagine the gasp I let out when I heard it hit the ground! lol

Now, I'm on a mission to find something else to put out there to hang this one back up on.

Also, Regina, all the Hoya cuttings we swapped for have rooted...wooohooo, I checked them today and all of them are doing great!!! I am loving the heart shaped ones!
    I was so excited to get them plants, I forgot to write the names on the pots...so now I have no clue what I have. lol
    But, they are all doing great!

I also had a somewhat casualty...I had my short wother in laws tongue in a box moving it in and dropped it and it fell out of the pot and into two pieces....so today I went back to my table and disected it, and out of the one plant I had, I now have about 12 plants. lol

I have run out of little pots...so my next mission is to go back to Stacys and admire their plants again...and find some 4 inch pots. lol

Fran, next time you go to the peach stand, you have to go over to Stacys and go into the houseplant greenhouse! lol
    On the back stand, they have a whole 3 rows of nothing but amaryllis bulbs!!
    I live about 5 mins from both of those places now....you just keep going down 321 and im right off or the road! :O)
    My husband was more than thrilled to find out how awesome Stacys was! lol NOT

Regina, I hope you get to feeling better soon...and, I hope you don't have to have epidurals for the pain...I hope it just goes away!

Those were some gorgeous pics someone posted! I forgot who posted them. hehe
    Those pink leaves....thats an arrowhead vine. I have been looking for one of the pink ones FOREVER!! I've found them at Lowe's, but they always look like POOP! lol
    Give her some medium light and some miracle grow....and she will be beautiful in no time!!

I like the Moses in a boat, it's a cute plant...almost looks epiphyllumish!!

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

LGS, sorry to hear about your back pain, I know how hard it can be. I hope you feel better really really soon. No fun being laid up.
    We finally got a little rain last night, I was so happy I almost danced in it, until it came a big strike of lighting...LOL.

Yeah...laineyplantgrower, you are right on the trivia. I searched and that is it.....congrats!

Redhead, I am sure you are so happy to have a new home, I dream of getting one someday...my own yard to do whatever I want to do!
    I wish I could take a trip to Stacey's I have never been in their actual greenhouses, they sell out of.

Yeap, me and SC1 where starting to wonder where everyone was...Glad everyone is coming back!!!

:) Fran

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Feels lively again! :)

LGS, I hope you start feeling better soon. Weather here is the same, I wish it would just pour already!!! All that show for nothing. LOL What colors of Minis did you get? Sounds like you got a good deal too! :)

Red, Thanks for the sweet pic comment, I wish I had moved that bag of potting soil, it caused the pics to have a bad glare. Maybe when the Pink Syngonium gets bigger I can share. :) I hope your Rubra is ok, btw what kind is that? I went to look it up cause I've never heard of it and there are a million different things, even a bird. LOL

Fran, I'm so glad you got rain. I love how all the plants perk up when they get the good water. :) All that rain dancing! You tried nekkid rain dancing didn't you?!?! just kiddin. ;)

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

85 % of the earths plantlife is in the ocean!

who knew. cool trivia :)

Congrats on the new house Red! I know how good it feels to be "home", we bought this place almost 2 years ago. We were in Clover yesterday and I found myself looking for little porches and pink crepe myrtles (lol, how funny is that almost every yard in the state has a porch and a crepe of some sort) ha ha ha

I went to the Peach Tree yesterday but it was late and they were closing up so I just grabbed my peach 'fix' and headed home. the DH really is a darling, one day off from work and he hustles me all over the place. Such a good boy. No time for Stacey's though I am aching to go. Hopefully soon!

I am going to Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens on Saturday! They are banding hummingbirds and me DH neice wants to go, so the girls (MIL, SIL, Niece and I) are going to see it, should be fun. It will be my first visit, I hope to take some good photos.

The rain was great! (thanks Fran I guess the rain dancing paid off lol) Gives me a few days off from handwatering. Maybe I can spend the time doing something else, like weeding or rearranging these plants...

LGS, I know just what you mean about the grocer store peaches, plump and pretty and SOUR or DRY or HARD..... I look at them all year long but will not buy them. I think next week I may grab a few baskets and can them for winter... to ease my craving.

I got to get to work ladies see y'all later

Frances

oh almost forgot
    lainey
    I divided the spider plants into 5 plants 4 large pots and one small one (the small one os a 9" pot) two I gave away, if you are interested in the 2 remaining large ones anytime in September/October let me know, you are welcome to them. If you are interested in a swap for something (indoor or outdoor plant) expecially a tiny plant that fit on small windowsill THAT WOULD BE FANTASTIC lol.

• ladygreensleeves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for the well wishes!!! I should be used to it by now,it was a condition I was born with and unfortunitly wont go away and the surgery the doctor said would fix it didnt and arthur-itis has taken up liven in the back as well,so does'nt help any,and this time of year is always the worst.

Since I can't get any decent peaches sent my way(hint,hint) I have been making due with seedless watermelon and mango's that are in abundance right now. I saved 2 seeds from a couple of mango's that are hybrids and quite good. Have them drying now.

Stopped by Target today and found a mini Waxleaf Hoya in bloom(darn tooting I snatched that right up)and a Kong Coleus. I would post pictures here but for some reason GW always sazs they are too big even tho they are in a jpeg format. So I need to reformat or something.I am able to share them on yahoo IM and have with Frances(redhead).If you want to chat or find me there let me know.

Kind of hard to believe 85% of all greenery on the earth comes from the plant life in the oceans huh?
    laineyplantgrower joins in for 10 points....way to go!
    There are many plants used for medicinial reasons,which leads us to question 11:
    Name 2 plants used to reduce fevers.
    This should be a real hoot to see what ya'll come up with....lol.

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

I found 5 i am sure there are many more, none of the actual applications sounded very pleasant to me (a compress of minced garlic paste YUK)

chrysanthamum
    feverfew
    garlic
    lemongrass
    fennel

• tina_2
    15 years ago

Hi - I found 4 of them:

yarrow
    elder
    meadowsweet
    willow

and I once heard coffee would lower a fever.
    Good Luck everyone! tina_2

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

My poor flowering Hoys mini bella

And, a big giant scary South Carolina monster spider I killed in my bathroom last night by spraying bleach on it...still took 5 mins for it to die!

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Name two plants used to reduce fevers.
    Indian Hemp, Sassafras

I wish we had a Target...We have Lowe's, Wal-Mart, Super K which I HATE...Hardly EVER, EVER, EVER go in there, been about a year since was in there last...

I am hoping to get to go plant shopping this weekend...I HOPE!!!

OMG. I am an idoit...I wrote this like right after LGS and Frances posted, I mean like a mintue later, got busy doing something else and forgot to hit send!

• ladygreensleeves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well Im glad you finally remembered to send it cause you posted the two anwsers I was looking for! I'm just wondering if they had to smoke it and brew it .....rotflol.

Whew another scorcher today with no rain....looks like its going too, sounds like it's going too, and then nothing but heat and humidity!!!

Do we have any lurkers out there wishing to join our houseplant swaps....still have time! So come on and join us!

points for the trivia are:
    southerncharm - 30
    ncgardengirl - 50
    fcoffill - 30
    laineyplantgrower - 10

next question #12

How did the Daisy get it's name?

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

The Daisy

A daisy has an "eye" just as its English name of day's eye suggests and primitive medical men drew the obvious conclusion that it was plainly intended to cure eye troubles.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

the daisy got its name, so-called because it is the days eye, as it opens with the light and closes again when the day is done. Perhaps that is where we get the expression, as fresh as a daisy, to describe the feeling after a good nights sleep.

Frances, Did you get some rain today? We got a little more today, and we got a little Tuesday. It sure has made some plants and me happy. It filled my rain barrel/can I wish I had many more of those.

Again, I ask where is everyone?

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Yes we got a nice little downpour! rained hard for about an hour.Love it love it! The plants are doing the 'happy dance' now!

it is very quiet here isn't it? Hope everyone is ok

Frances

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

I'm here! :O) LOL Weather was weird today, I went out this morning to tinker in the gardens and it was actually cool. Then around 10am it was so HOT I was sweating like a pig. It rained twice this afternoon, or should I say came a down pour! LGS I think we got your rain too. :(

Hope everyone is well!

Kathy

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Heeeeellllllllooooooooooooooo oooooo oooooo
    was that an echo?

Southern Charm, rain is ALWAYS a good thing (unless you are in a flood zone)

Happy Friday Everyone! I am off to see the Hummingbird banding at Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens tomorrow, cant wait!

LGS, I will gladly send you peaches instead of plants if we are paired! (I think I can make a side deal for my pesky housplants)

Have a great day everyone!

Frances

• ladygreensleeves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

YEAAAAA..........we got some rain!!!! not a whole lot, but I'll take it! Maybe if we are lucky we'll get more today.

Had a couple of good guesses on the trivia question....but not quite what Im looking for....I'll up the ante to 20 points! How did the Daisy get it's name? Hint:There's more to it than just the eye.

One of the local nurseries has Ga. peaches for sale .... think I'll take a ride over and check them out today too. As well as any other goodies they may have.....hehehe.

And can ya believe it's August already. I want everyone to be mindfull of the heat when outside. I was outside yesterday for about a half hour and thought I was going to pass out. So please be aware of the heat index. Heatstroke is a silent and deadly killer and will sneak right up on ya from behind. Make sure you have plunty of water available when you are out enjoying yourselfs. Don't want to lose any of my garden buddies.

Ya'll have a nice weekend now,ya hear!

• ladygreensleeves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Got a question for the African Violet growers out there. Or rather need some advice. I received some AV leaves in a trade. 4 of them and was told to start them in water.Well 2 didnt make it :( . I took one out of the water and put it in a good potting mix and covered it so that it has a dome(mini greenhouse effect). It sits in a saucer, so it gets moisture from the bottom up as well as from the greenhouse effect. It appears to be doing well. The other leaf is still in water and has lots of roots now and what appears to be a tiny plantlet at the very tip of that stem....here is were Im at a total loss....do I leave it be???....do I pot it up???...and if so how??? Any help from the African Violet experts would be appreciated.

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

From a book that I have, it shows that you can actually cut the leaf into 1 inch squares and place it on top of moist soil and cover it with cellophane for the greenhouse effect the roots will start growing from the edges of the squares and then plants will form. After a while there are a bunch of little plants instead of just leafs. :) Pretty cool stuff. Seems to be one of the easier plants to play with. :) I would stick it in a pot and just cover the roots with some soil so they don't dry out. :) I'm no expert by any means... But If what I've read so far helps you, I'll know that my 99cents on ebay for 3 books was well worth it! hehehe

• ladygreensleeves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have 2 books myself on propagation, and have propagated many a plant with just a leaf or stem. African Violets and I however do not do so well. And sometimes I feel those that grow them and love them know the best methods with hands on experience than a book that just covers the basics.
    Thanks southerncharm I'm familiar with that technique as well.... have done that with other plant leaves too. This just looks so ood and I'm worried that if it is indeed a little plantlet that it may start to rot in the water and I don't want that too happen. Where are my african violet growers at? This is a problem maybe you can help me with.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

LGS, I wish I could help you on the A/V question but me and those thing DO not mix, nope, nope nope!!!
    I had a little bitty one I think I paid a quarter for about 3 years ago, I kept it for almost 4 months and finally thought I had it in the bag and was going to be successful finally with one of the little things then it just started to shrivel up! and that was it.
    You have me stumped/bummed(lol) on this current question. I have search and search, NOTHING comes up on it...and I mean nothing!!!

Hope everyone has a fab weekend, I hope too as well. I am miffed at Lowe's we went this evening, I was hoping to find some good mark down deals and guess what? NOTHING!!! I did get one little plant that I have NO idea what it is, never heard of it for .50 so we'll see if I kill it.
    THEY HAD NO GOOD HOUSEPLANTS!!! ERRRR!!!!!! I don't know why I even bothered!
    I was even going to consider going to K-mart which is across the street here from Wal-mart when we were leaving Wal-mart I looked over at their plant section, it was EMPTY!!! NOTHING, not a plant in site, can you believe that?
    THIS TOWN SUCKS for good plant companies!!!

OH Well, guess that is why we have GW and members that share...LOL.

SC!, you lucky dog, I am still jealous over your great finds!

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

LGS, Sorry that didn't help. Best of luck with your little one. :)

Oh, don't be jealous Fran! LOL I'm sure one of those places will have some on clearance soon! :) Do you have another Lowe's near you that you could hit up? We have about 5 of them in a 20 mile radius of us. I frequently go to the closest, the others I don't get too that often with gas prices being as ridiculous as they are. :( They didn't have anything at all at your Walmart? *Cringes at the thought of an empty garden section* What about flea markets? Yard sales here sometimes have plants, oh and craigslist. Sometimes people will ask for someone to come and dig their plants up or take them because they don't want them or don't have time to do it. I haven't lucked up yet but have heard great things from others. :) ((((VIBES FOR CHEAP HEALTHY PLANTS)))) coming your way!!! :)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Hey SC1, it was K-Mart that was totally out of plants, they have been doing that for a few years now. I don't know what the deal is with them, they have some things up until it gets hot then they put everything on "clearance" which isn't that much off the original price and get rid of everything.
    I have always missed K-Marts mark down days except for one time and I managed to get a bunch of Dianthus that were almost dead, but I thought I could bring back which I didn't BUT I tried, and they were like a 1.00 each, this was about 4/5 years ago so that wasn't too bad I guess.

AND BTW I did kind of SCORE today, remember I said I was hoping to get to go plant shopping today? Well he did take me, I got 8 plants for 25.00 and they are nice plants too, I made sure that the Colocasia had BABIES in the pots! I got 2 different EEs, A Musa Sumatrana "Zebrina", 3 different Heuchera. They are root bound but that is ok, I went to our local Stacy's Nursery. AND 1 new houseplant it is a Philodendron Brasil.

I never see any plants at yard sales here, and we hardly ever go to the flea market, I want to, just don't think about it too much until it is too late to go and all then everybody is gone...lol.

As far as Lowe's goes they have a clearence rack, but everything almost was dead and almost all were annuals that were still not worth the marked down price! There was a poor little sage that was so crispy it should have just been thrown away and it was still 1.50!

But I am pretty pleased with the plants I got today....these are the first real plants I have gotten in a LONG, LONG, LONG time!

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Well I think I got a bargain today (I really don't know cause I never bought one before) but we were driving home from the Botanical Garden (we visited Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden today to see the Hummingbird banding) and my SIL spots a sign that says "Angel Trumpets $15 or 2 for $25" well I really don't know what to expect, but we pull in and there are dozens of the things in three gallon pots! White Pink and Yellow, I got a yellow one. It isn't blooming yet, but it looks very healthy. The man we spoke to had several large ones growing around the pool enclosure. Loads of flowers! I am so excited! I love those flowers, now I just have to figure out what to do with the darned thing!

I am sort of thinking a nice tropical looking bed, The angel trumpet in the center, with three datura surrounding, possibly add some sweet potato vine for a ground cver? (I have some rooting now) Mabe I could flank the Angel Trumpet with some dwarf canna? Sheesh, this means digging and ammending a big hole!!!! My DH is gonna shake his head in disgust!!!! ha ha ha!

Oh well my brain is going a mile a minute.....

Sorry LGS I still have not come up with a better answer for your question either

Have a great day everyone!

Frances

PS Fran
    both Lowes and HomeDepot in Gastonia have started marking down plants. I am looking for Lantanas mostly right now, but I picked up some gallon sized dianthus for $2 at Lowes. they were out of Lantana, I would really like to go to Stacey's they have a Lantana that smells GOOD!!!!! I should have bought it when I first saw it, but their local outlet seems to be closed for the season, and everyone elses Lantana STINKS!!! lol still love it though

• ladygreensleeves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh Angel Trumpets....I love them too...I have a white one that bloomed it's first time on last months full moon. I Started it from cuttings my neighbor gave me. They sure do LOVE the water! And can wilt on ya in a heartbeat. And this one did a couple of times. I would look out and see it all droopy and run with the watering can or hose...lol....few minutes later it was back up and happy and I would sigh with relief....lol. I have a yellow now started in a pot from cuttings and hope to be planting it out soon, and have some double blue and double yellow seedling in pots too. And when they are bloom they smell so good.

I have been gathering some plants myself these past few days....freebees....my neighbor sold their home. It had something like 50 tropicals and plants in the backyard. They had to move back to Texas and had left a key to the house "just in case" and I kept a eye on the property. They over the years had shared many plants and cuttings with me. And had said for my troubles of watching the property that I could continue to take cuttings, which I often shared with the other neighbors and such. Welllllll.....the new owner.....sit down everyone and hold on.....had a guy come into the back yard and literally ripped everything out and into shreds!!!!....I'm totally sick!!!! There is a pile of torn up plants like you would not believe out in front of this place now!
    I had taken over a housewarming gift the day before all this and he said he was having a few things removed and said I could help myself to the plants....that afternoon was a company there ripping them out. And they came back and ripped the rest out today. Makes me wish I had'nt wasted my time with the housewarming gift! I did get a couple of Brazilian firebrush trees and a verigated Hybiscus, it's kinda torn up a bit,but maybe some gentle prunning and tlc...and a bunch of plummeria cuttings, a clump of palms and another plant or two.
    I also put a curse on this guy and his property.....rotflol. I have left my mind open on the wife and 2 little girls, havent meet them yet.I'm hoping they can be saved....lol.

Did ya all give up on the trivia guestion? Heres another hint...eyelashes....and another 10 points. So that's a possible 30 points!

I still havent gotten my peaches...darn it. The nursery was closed when I got there and wont be open till Tuesday.

Well hope everyone having a nice weekend, Im off to bed....nite all.

• chellflower
    15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've missed the forum. Its been really busy around here...
    Dr appointments, gardening,getting kid's supplies/clothes for the new scool year, etc...not to mention trying to keep up the housework.

Like an idiot I worked outside a few days ago trying to catch up on re-shaping my Canna bed. It was over 100 degrees and I got too hot, ended up with a bad headache for two days. I'm okay now though. Still stubborn enough to spend all day outside yesterday transplanting till 8pm -in 102 degree heat! But this time I wasn't overexerting/digging..just sitting on my bottom playing in dirt.
    Its suppose to be 104 today and Monday...I'm still not finished with the Canna bed, but it will have to wait for cooler temps.

LGS, I hope your back gets better soon...take care of yourself girl- you're a keeper LOL.

Red/Frances, sounds like you're having a great time with the new place. Any photos yet????

I got a good deal on plants Friday...my 3 year old & I visited the new tropical nursery nearby and they had EVERYTHING at 50% off for this weekend!!! My son picked out a Black Taro, I got a Philo 'Prince of Orange' and a little mix garden pot that has a Maranta, Dracaena, MIL, and a small Philo scandens..we also got two cannas (Firebird & Yellow Primrose).... The place has good prices already for a 'Tropical' nursery, but we ended up with $50 worth of plants for $25 !!!!! Aaaaah, tropical heaven!

I hope to be able to post more often soon, but it looks like things may get a bit more hectic before they calm down.... my older son needs a hearing test and the DR set him an appointment in Dallas!?! -Over 100 miles away! I don't know what she was thinking..we have plenty of places here capable of a simple hearing screening. Anywho, I'm hoping to get that reappointed more closeby. Then my younger boy has to go back for another blood test...they said his iron levels were low and want to make sure he's not anemic....even the dog is due a vet visit (and I have to clip/bathe her first!).... also I may have some jobs real soon (construction cleanup)...all four schools in our district were remodeled over summer and I may get the bid to clean them -with only about two weeks left before school opens for teachers & staff!!!! It'll be a 'hurry up & Git 'R Done' deal, but I really hope to get the schools. This company also has three new fire depts. almost completed and lots more upcoming work... wish me luck folks!

I can't wait till we get matched to our swap partners!

Y'all take care...hope to post again soon!
    Chellflower

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Hey everyone!!!!!

I had typed out this long message and forgot to hit send twice...how frustrating! lol

I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend thusfar!
    Regina, I'd pot up the av leaf you have in water!! Just like you potted the other leaf. I haven't tried the water method because i've heard those roots die when you pot them in soil...so I thought it was wasting a little time doing that...not that it's wrong...I'm just impatient and want things RIGHT NOW! lol

SC, how was the hummingbird banding at DS? I would love to go out there sometime, I just don't want to go alone...and, my husband said he'd rather watch Sex in the City on tv than go look at flowers...and he hates my girlie shows. lol

I made it out to Stacy's today. I got three Amaryllis plants..I'm in the process of looking them up now to see what I got!
    I am still at my wits end with the hoya mini bella! I'm thinking it's going to die...the leaves are turning more yellow at the base...and the alcohol did nothing to the mealies on it.
    Id you buy hoya from the Lowes in Gastonia....make sure you look it over really well! The other hoya I bough now has tiny little mealies on it too....I'm having to treat it as well!

For my local Frances'.....do you have any advise for a local place for me to rent a tiller from to till up my garden and actually make a garden? lol
    My dads tiller isn't strong enough to till up untilled dirt...and now i'm kinda stuck. Any advice as to what I can do?
    I am finally ready to get out in the yard and do some things!! lol I have some pretty Iris and Monarda to plant already...and, I'm planning on trying the butterfly bushes from Stacy's or the ones on clearance at Lowes.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

The Oxeye Dasiy also known as: "Baldur's Brow"
    Another son of Odin is BALDUR. Of him there is lonly good to tell; he is the best of all and all praise him. He is so fair and shining in visage that light comes from him, and there is a plant so white that it has been compared to the gods eyelashes and called "Baldurs brow"; it is the whitest of all plants. Baldur is the wisest, most eloquent and gracious of all the Aesir. This peculiarity follows him, however, that none of his decisions hold. His dwelling is in heaven in Breithablik, and in this place there can be nothing impure.
    Is this FINALLY it?...lol.

chell, be careful out in the heat. Make sure you take water outside with you to drink, like LGS said heatstroke sneaks up on you and if you are not drinking water and are outside only that is a bad combo!

RED my advice to you is check to see if you can get free compost there, you should be able too...IF so, just put that down where you want to plant, and pretty thick and plant in it if it is alreay starting to break down, ours in Shelby is old enough it already is breaking down so it is really good stuff to use. Yes, you get some junk in it, BUT IT IS FREE!!!

If in the event this is not possible, check craigslist in and around Charlotte area for a cheap tiller. It would be better than renting. Also, log onto yahoo and check freecycle and cheapcycle, there is one for Shebly and Gastonia area, if you need help finding them let me know I will send you the link. Anyway, you can list that you are looking for a decent used tiller. Oh and check the Iwanna paper, there are some on there now. We've been looking for one too!

Hope I helped yah!

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Welcome back Chellflower! :) Be careful out there, don't forget the gatorade! :)

Looks like my vibes worked! You all got some really good deals! Care to share some pics of all those lovely plants? :D
    Glad everyone is having a productive weekend! I hope to get some work done outside before it gets dark, just waiting for it to cool off a bit now.

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Hmmmmm, Iwanna paper....do I have to drive over to Gastonia to get one of those?
    I'm gonna go try to find the freecycle and cheapcycle. :O)

Where would I find out if they have free mulch?

Chellflower, be careful, it's been hot as crap here too! holy moly!

I have some pics I'll share!

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

In searching for an avenue to get some plants and tools...I decided to make up my own group. lol

If anyone close to me wants to join..or not close...lol

UpstateSCPlantcycle......it's for passing it forward.

I thought it was a cool idea. lol

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

RED you are too funny, I decided just today I was going to start one too. I was/am thinking about calling it Cleveland County Plant Exchange.or Piedmont Plant Exchange, or Foothills Plant Exchange.... I just can't decide...it wouldn't just be for Cleveland Co either, Rutherfordton, Gastonia and any one else could join as well. BUT we would set up in person plant swaps and stuff...

NO you don't have to go to Gastonia for an IWanna...you can go to the website (you can't veiw #'s until you pay the 1.00 which is what the paper cost too) or pick one up in any C store. There are some tillers listed, well, maybe that was last week, but check anyway. You can view the ads online, u just can't get the # until you have paid the fee, and you can pay for a week or for 4 weeks at a time. Or just go picl up a hard copy, but I think online is so much easier. Then if there is something we want we get the paper to take with us in case we get lost...lol.

Man I LOVE that sky in that background on your plant pic...that is NICE...nice shoot too BTW!

Free Mulch, call your city office. They will tell you if and where they have it.

SC1, were u asking me for pics?

Ok, anymore questions?

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Oh Goah Oh Gee,
    I look around and what do I see?
    No-one here, but lil' ole me....

Lone---ly, I'm so Lone--ly.......

Knock Knock...YOUUUUUUWHOOOOOOOOO....

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Hey Red if you get to gastonia stop by and say hello (the mosquitoes would love some fresh meat) lol lol, I HAVE NEVER SEEN SO MANY OF THE WRETCHES, except for camping in the back woods!

Before you invest money in a tiller, see what you have to deal with, rocks, sand, clay (or if you are like me a combination of all of those things) Most tillers that are available for consumers just cannot cope with compacted clay, end of story. Someone is going to have to get in there first and hand turn it once. Fran's suggestion is a good one, but even before I went and collected the compost, I would stck my shovel in and get a look at what I have to deal with! If it is only sand or compacted soil, some compost, some mulch and some water will get it softened up pronto and a tiller will be your friend. But if you are dealing with clay and/or rock, it's going to take a bit of back work first.

Any how, hope everyone is doing well, I have all my cuttings and plantlings trimmed, cleaned and ready for shipping. Can't wait!

Frances

oh PS, if you Frans are setting up a local plant swap let me know.... I will have to bribe someone to drive me, but I am definately interested

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Lainyplantgrower and I are planning out a plant swap right now....for sometime next month in Charlotte.
    We are still trying to figure out the best place to hold it...but, we (mostly hard work by Lainy)have almost come up with a game plan for it.

I did do a little inspection of my yard......its mostly companted sand and dirt....but, hardly any clay...can you believe that? It's all light colored soil. lol
    I was very amazed with this fact...as I am very very used to only having red clay mud!!
    There is an abandoned space not far from my yard that is covered in wild prickly pair cactuses.....Anyone want 1 or 100 prickly pair pads? lol
    I know I need to get out and in it and turn it on my own......I think getting the tiller through it might be a lot easier once I do that.
    My dad will not let me use his tiller...he said that it will wreck the tines...and it is for light jobs. lol
    RRRRRRR, it's so frustrating...I just want some flower beds. lol
    I called the city office today....the lady thought I was insane...ma'am, we don't give away free mulch...if you'd like to purchase mulch there are several stores that carry mulch in the area. :O)

Chell,
    I'm slowly killing my plummie....what am I doing wrong?

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

fcoffill......I'll share your mosqitoes if you share my biting ants!! lol

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Red, I am sorry about your local city office. if you are close to Gastonia, check theirs. I am sure they have one, good greif, if hick town Shelby City does Gastonia HAS TOO!

Frances, I have to disagree with you on using a tiller hon, you can use it in the hardest of dirt/clay/red dirt, what have-you, HOWEVER, it is extremely hard to handle if you don't have the strength to hold it back and MAKE it dig into the ground. I and SO have done it many a time.
    The place we lived at the longest, 11.5 years was compacted red clay, from mule and donkey walking on it for years and years. When they died, landlord say we could open up the place the pasture was in next to our yard and have a garden.
    We tilled it many times over, it was hard.
    Then there was a place right next to my front porch, it was the same way...I tilled it myself, many times over the years to about 2 feet down, the tiller would be buried I went so deep, and I added a little sand once, but before we moved, that spot there, was perfect for growing.
    The dirt was soft and fluffy and just crumbled in your fingers,,,,I added leaves and stuff to it too over the years...wish I hadn't had to leave it...oh well, life goes on.

The point is, it can be done with a tiller, make sure you get the highest horsepower you can find so it can handle the punishment. Mine was only a 5 but it worked, I would have rather had a higher one. But 5 was as high as it went when we got that one...it died though, SO left it outside and it ended up getting issues uncovered in the elements.
    It will no means be easy, no...but if you stick with it you will get it tilled up.
    You have to go over it a few times before it is good. We used a tiller to do a garden spot this year, and it had not been planted as a garden in a very LONG time more than 5 year, it was overgrown with some kind of funky looking weed that has TOUGH roots, when the tiller it them, it would bounce/kickback off of them. It was hard, and it was tough. But we finally got it done, and yes there were rocks and other debris, . PPL had been using it as a dumping ground.
    There were trees growing in it, pine and wild cherry and other junk....not to mention compacted ground
    So yeah, it can be done...it just takes a while and it wasn't easy.

But Red do check out Gastonia,,,heck if nothing else come to Shelby...they will even load it free on Friday mornings...We're going to go get more this Friday...and for the amount you can haul on a PU truck it might be worth driving over here.
    Also there is someone on the Carolina Garden forums looking for a Swap for Charlotte so you two might want to post something like, Who would be interested in a Charlotte Swap?
    So they can reply...
    Frances, not trying to make you mad by disagreeing with you, its just that I have used a tiller all my life,,,we didn't have a tractor and doing it all by hand is not an option...nooooooo
    Also, I am seroiusly considering putting a swap together as well for this area down here, Shelby, K. Mtn, Rutherfordton...this area so I will post it I do it alone or someone over there (CG forum) I have been talking to and I may get one put together with both of us hosting.
    Don't know yet,

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

No Worries Fran, :)

doesn't hurt my feelings a bit, you have been gardening in this area longer than me! I was spoiled most of my life with soft sandy loam! My yard is a mass of rocks, gravel, OAK tree roots, bricks and compacted red clay. My house is the first house ever to sit on this property and it was build 6 years ago, prior to that it was a vacant lot, a storage lot and rumour has it it was even the vegetable garden of the property behind me. (could have fooled me)

I could manage a tiller at 20, I seriously doubt I could at 50 and we did ruin a rental when we moved here trying to till up some beds that turned out to be full of roots and rocks and baked clay. (lucky we had the insurance) and lucky we didn't buy it!

I only meant it is best to look first, and decide what to spend/ do after you have an idea of what you are dealing with.

Gastonia does have a mulch/compost program the sell it by the scoop, I don't have a truck, so I can't buy it. But it is available, I think it is $2 - #2.50 a scoop.

Well I envy you all your mobility! without a car I have to depend on someone to take me here and there, but I could probably get to a local swap. (20-30 mile radius) Let me know!

Red, I think I already have plenty of biting ants (and spiders too) I don't suppose I could interest you in a truck load of tree rats! Or a few very cute (but hungry) bunnies. I might be able to stand a few more ants if they were gone!

ha ha ha!

Frances

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Hmmmm Ncgardengirl....if the mulch there is free...it might just be worth a trip to shelby!
    Now to find a pick up truck! I knocked over some plants in the jeep moving...and my husband WIGGED OUT....the jeep is his baby. lol
    I can usually pick up the spills before he gets in the car again...but, this time he was right there....he's a big baby! lol

I appreciate all the advice.....I need all the help I can get! lol

I respectfully turn down your offer for the tree rats! There was one in the house when we moved in that no one knew about til after we were already in here.....that was a fright in the laundry room!!!
    Those sticky glue traps are so gross...but, I'm thankful he's not in my house anymore! lol

This weekend I'm making a trip someplace so we can atleast spray for whatever might still be here that we don't know about! lol
    The more I learn about the people who used to live here...the more i'm thinking we need to do that ASAP! lol

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

GOOD MORNING!!! :O)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Howdy Red, found you a truck yet?

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

I have not found a truck yet! :O( I need to though! lol

Something has eaten all the leaves off of the plumaria.
    I thought it was something I was doing...but, I went out to check on it and all the leaves are gone now...it's just the stem.
    No ants are in the pot...yet...so what the heck man!
    I'm so mad! I was so excited about that plummie...now its gonna die! #%#$%$^@^

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Maybe not, take it inside put it in a window and baby it...

• chellflower
    15 years ago

Red,

Don't worry, your plumeria can grow back its leaves...I've had this happen before. Plumeria appear to be tougher than most of us expect....

We get slugs badly here. I keep them under control with Epsom Salts. I also mix up and spray homemade 'tonic' on my foliage to control grasshoppers, etc (it adds nutrients too)...check out Jerry Baker's website for the tonic recipes. You mix them from natural common household items and they work pretty well....

Is it the Plumie I sent you??? Could it possibly be going through 'transplant shock? I would definitely take Fran's advice and put it inside in a sunny window -please be careful not to overwater it. You may want to give it water (preferably distilled) with a tiny amount of hydrogen peroxide added (approx. 1/8 tsp. per quart). This will give extra oxygen to the roots and actually help 'dry' the soil if it has been overwatered. Just be sure the pot has good drainage and then water with the H2O2 water until it drains from the bottom to clean out any impurities. I learned of this H2O2 mix a short while back and tried it after my tropicals got soaked during 3 days of rain....I've used it for watering all of my plants ever since....its great for seedlings too - kills fungus & other impurities in the soil.

Hope this helps & good luck with your Plumie!
    Chellflower

• ladygreensleeves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello to all. Sorry I have been MIA...I typed out a message last nite and one of the kitties decited she needed quality kitty time and hit a key on the laptop and wiped out the whole thing #$@%^%$#@ cat! Like I needed help!!! Yea...I hear all the snickering.....lol.

I finally made it to the nursery to check out those Ga.peaches....more like Ga. rocks! and priced at $1.99lb shheeeeesh. I still bought 4...they better be good when they ripen...if they ripen! Got them in a paper bag. The nursery looked pretty bare too or picked over so I didnt pick up any plants this time. It's been so hot and the rains have been a mostly miss on the hit and miss department. My rain barrels are sucking wind right now too!

Redhead, sounds like a big grasshopper or slug got the plummie leaves. Like Chell said don't overwater it....they will rot on ya in a heartbeat! Let it dry out. How deep did you stick it in the soil? About 3 inches is good.
    http://www.plumeria101.com/cuttings101.html is a good site for learning all about plummies and how to get a cutting started. Talks about problems and solutions too. Also has some great pictures. I did get a bunch of cuttings from the neighbor who ripped up his backyard. Only thing is now I don't know which is what. The brush truck came today. And he has already taken one load and will have to come back, thats how much stuff is piled up out there. Such a shame.

Guess I have ya'll stumped on the last trivia guestion.
    Daisy's open during the day and close again at night. The petals resemble eyelashes and the center being the eye.So they were called Day's Eye's which over time was corrupted to Daisy. There ya go thats how they got the name.

Question 13:
    What is the smallest plant with root,stem,and leaf?

Good Luck!!!

Regina

• elaine5678
    15 years ago

I'm still here, just a busy 3-day weekend (yay)!! I've missed y'all!

Fran, did I read this right...? You split 2 large spider plants and came up with 5 pots and the smallest is in a 9" pot??? That sounds like a monster!! I'd love to have 1 or 2. :) Do you want something in exchange? We can trade at one of the swaps in September if you want to.

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

My answers LOL!

Could it be a Mouse-ear cress
    or poppy?
    Or Duck Weed?

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Hi Elaine
    I did indeed! I have two in 12" pots with your name on them. They have to go, I am not looking at them moping all winter. I'll keep the little one to start over. Two are already gone! They are just putting out a second crop of babies too!

We can swap, if you have something small (windowsill size, that doesn''t mind low light or even an outdoor plant) If not you can certainly have them! I also have a couple of unruly asparagus ferns..........

I wish I could make it to the Greer swap, maybe next year (no car) But I know there are plans for a more local swap and I hope to be able to make it to one of them.

Have a great evening everyone!

Frances