Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diene_gw

Not for the faint hearted- pictures

diene
14 years ago

Good Morning All;

It is pouring rain here and thunder no lightning. We have not seen the sun since it briefly appeared on Saturday and before that it was a solid week.

Here is what that has done to my gardens.

There are many of these this size all over my plants

Too much water is not a good thing!

Here is a little slug but if it keeps raining he will be as large as his cousin in my lily

For those of you who think garden snails are a myth!!

Comments (11)

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Diene,

I have those slippery little suckers everywere too! They are so gross!!!!

Lisa

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

I'm invaded by Japenese beetles! They're everywhere..you're right..we need some sun!

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Somehow I thought this song by the Beatles might be appropriate right about now for us all...

Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
    and I say it's all right

Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter
    Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here
    Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
    and I say it's all right

Little darling, the smiles returning to the faces
    Little darling, it seems like years since it's been here
    Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
    and I say it's all right

Sun, sun, sun, here it comes...

Little darling, I feel that ice is slowly melting
    Little darling, it seems like years since it's been clear
    Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
    and I say it's all right
    It's all right

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

I don't know if this will work for you, I read in one of the forums that coffee and coffee grounds would keep the slugs at bay. Well I tried it and it works great for me.
    We have been having a lot of rain too here in central FL.

Dan the mailman, I love that song, do you have a song for bugs? mabe put a tune to........ I hate bugs, I hate bugs

Oh dear I think I'm waaayyy too tired.

try the coffee.

• tracyvine
    14 years ago

Diene, that's terrible. We've been sunless for days again too. I haven't been outside since I've been running around with errands so much. I hope, hope, hope, those fat buggers aren't in my gardens too. I haven't seen too many this year yet but maybe that is because I have so many toads gobbling them up. God Bless the toad.

• diene
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Tracy, can you send me some toads? I did see one today when I was mowing the lawn and I let him live. We did have sun this afternoon, it was wonderful but it is raining again. Boy am I tired of this.
    diene

• tracyvine
    14 years ago

You know, I did wonder if it was possible to pack them into a Priority box. I know the kids would have a blast hunting the little toadies to send. We have them in the thousands. Some are pretty big too. The tiny ones are adorable. No bigger than your pinky nail.

Set out some clay pots on their sides in all your flower beds, the toads will congregate in them when it's hot and sunny out.

• diene
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am all over that, I will put the pots out tomorrow. I am hoping the cat does not think this is for her enjoyment. We had some sun today but only for about five hours then the skies opened up.
    Thanks for the info. Happy Fourth of July.
    diene

• tracyvine
    14 years ago

I hope it helps! You have a serious talk with Mr. Kitty and let him know the toads are not prey, they have their job to do! LOL!

It was finally dry here yesterday for the entire day. Overcast but comfortable enough. We had friends over for grilled ribs and some fireworks. The kids all had a great time playing together.

Did you do anything fun?

Tracy

• jaceysgranny
    14 years ago

I've got Japanese beetles too for the 2nd year. They are eating my crepe myrtles, cannas and rose of sharon up. I tried knocking them into soapy water but they are too fast for me. There are 3 and 4 on the same leaves.
    Diene put crushed egg shells on the ground around plants to keep out the slugs or cornmeal. Anything gritty will keep them away they say. You can send me the rain. I never thought during the winter and spring I'd be begging for it but we've been watering for 3 weeks.

• diene
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have almost overcome the Japanese beetles using Milky Spores even though every person in the gardening industry in this part of the world tells me they do not work. This is the third yard I have successfully used them in. I will get a few beetles on my Clematis from neighbors yards but there is nothing I can do about that. Does NEEM work on them? I am thinking not but do not remember and it is worth investigating. Actually I just saw a tip about what to spray on the leaves, oh never mind, it was something really toxic.
    The sun in shining today as it did yesterday and even Friday. We have had rain every day but Friday but at least it is happening in the morning and evening and not constant. I need to get out in the sun to cure my Vitamin D deficiency.
    Bye,
    diene

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH