Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenthumbgrow

Crazy Crazy Plant Swap! - Boxes Flying :-)

greenthumbgrow
14 years ago

LINK To Check Request Status:

CLICK HERE TO check your Request Status -- make sure you are where you should be AND to check your request numbers...

Tammy:-)

And now the original rules...

Crazy Crazy Plant Swap!

OK I know Im going crazy hosting another swap so soon after that water one but hey what can I say, I think I'm addicted!

Alright I guess 'suggestions' would be in order:

1. First thing - Sign Up

2. List some of your plants for selection by others

(you do not have to list them all but a couple would be nice so we know we are getting some things we have requested) **(Be sure to select the ones you are interested in from others list)

Example: I may be planning on sending in 100 plants but only want to make 20 available for selecting that would be fine. (Of course if you want to post all that is perfectly fine)

I will be keeping track of requests and toward the end will have you review them.

3. Label all plants with the Plant Name, Your name, and who they are to go to (if you are letting other select them).

4. You will recieve the number of plants you send in (That actually make it to me alive, so please be sure to pack your plants correctly -see #5). Please send plants in good health that you would not mind recieving in return. I would also request that you send in 'clumps' of smaller plants instead of just one little one so that each person will have a nice start of whatever it is.

***** IMPORTANT NOTE: If you request 50 plants then you will need to be sure to send in 50 plants so that someone is not receiving less than they send in. Each person will be back what you send in.

5. Be sure to pack your plants correctly. Please Do not Overwater. This will cause your plants to rot. The correct moisture level for shipping plants should be barely moist, if you can feel the water it is too much. (unless of course it is a water plant) LOL

6. Cuttings will be allowed but please be sure to list those online for others to select the ones they want, some people may not want cuttings so it is best to let those be selected, and you must label them according to #3. Please be sure to send 3-5 cutting for each request so that the success rate will be better.

7. Be sure to include in your box the following (put it in a plastic baggy so it does not get messed up):

- Return address label

- Postage for returning the box

- If you want del. Confirmation please be sure to purchase the tag and send in the box with the postage.

- List of plants you sent in and how many of each

8. All boxes must be postmarked between July 12 - 15. This will insure they all arrive in a close space and I can get the plants back to you in a timely manner.

NO LIMIT to how many plants you send

10 of Each kind or less (unless you want to post them up for unlimited requests then you can send as many as are requested)

SEND OUT: July 12-15

Have FUN!

Comments (87)

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OH my I am sooo glad everyone is getting their boxes and are excited about all their plants.

Amy - I do pretty much the same thing. I put everything that don't look so good in pots in my GH (or in one spot somewhere before I got the GH) so that i can baby those ones specially. Calling it my plant ICU.

All the ones that look good or have tubers or bulbs i put directly in the ground (after soaking a couple hours) they will normally die down as it is already around their time to be done for the year. Then there is the one that could go either way. I normally judge it by how much care they look like they are going to need. Some of mine that I just plant yesterday I thought for sure were not going to make it (I forgot two plants in one of the brown bags in my GH and thought I planted them but obviouly didn't) But today when I check on them the leafs all dried up and was not coming back but when I cut them down to the dirt I saw green shoots getting ready to come up out of the roots so Yeah!

I normally don't throw nothing out for at least a month because stuff I thought for sure was gone have came back in a surprise. In fact I tossed out a plant that had a hydrangea in it from about March and I have been waiting for something to happen but nothing ever did so I moved it next to the trash can and I walked by it a day or two later and saw tinnny tiny green spots all along the stems I was Shocked I thought for sure it was a goner the stems were like dried twigs sooo needless to say I put it back in the GH and now its in the ground and doing great!

Just my two cents.

hope everyone else gets theirs soon! I am so excited for you all.

• zinaray
    14 years ago

got my box wed. so many house
    plants, been working on them i just finished putting every thing in pots tonight.
    thanks everyone i've enjoyed the swap. Tammy you did a great job, waiting for the next one.
    Toni

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

Hi everyone!
    Lisa, I "planted" my worms tonight LOL! I followed your directions but I have a couple of questions...

1. in step 6 you said "Cover everything with another inch of shredded organic matter" did you mean to say "shredded newspaper"? That's what I did, hope it's right.

2. Do I ever need to stir the mix (like I do with my compost pile outside)?

3. Should I poke holes in the lid of the container?

4. how do you know when you're feeding your worms enough and you can start adding more?

Thanks again for the worms! I'm very excited!! I think they were all alive in there.

Glad to hear that everyone's getting their boxes. Busy, busy! I would love to see pictures of people's new pots/garden areas with our plants in there. I will take some pictures and post them too.

Thanks again Tammy, this was a fun swap!!

Amy

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

HEY Everyone,
    I was without internet for a week goodness me, that was ROUGH!
    I got my box Wednesday, I am so ticlked. Some things are not looking so good but they are all being babied, some plants went right in the area I think they will live. Others are getting potted treatment because they need extra attention.
    Cindy, I am not sure what I got from you. Your stuff was really WET and the marker you used just bled away so I will be SURPRISED. You wouldn't happen to have a list of what you sent now would you? HEHE.

Thanks for the extras, I really wasn't expecting ANY extras at all and was really surprised when I found some! THANKS to you all.

Tammy, thanks for hosting another great swap. I love plants swaps and I think next year these will be all I participate in, heck between me and you I think we have hosted one every month this summer haven't we? HEHE.

I am getting ready to post the Fall 100, but I am not so sure there will be a limit on the plants this time. I will think about it tomorrow and see what I decide LOL.

Anyway, I am pleased with all the plants and I can't wait to see them all grown up!
    Thanks again everyone!!!

:) Fran

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

Alright Fran, it's good to see you back I missed you. are you feeling better?
    Carmen

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

Hi again everyone,
    I forgot to mention in my post last night about packing. It's actually really fun to see the different ways that everyone packs and labels stuff. Seeing how well the plants do depending on how they are packed, for me, is the best way to learn. So, having said that, I wanted to mention a few things that I noticed.

I noticed that some of the plants I received were fully wrapped in plastic or bunched up in a plastic bag. These plants didn't do very well and I actually had to toss a few because they were just mush. You should never wrap a plant in plastic. Only the root ball should be wrapped in plastic and then the whole thing should be wrapped in paper.

Also, expect that everything will get wet or damp during it's journey. So (and I have learned this lesson the hard way myself!) try to mark your plants with something that won't bleed or run if it gets wet. I like to use cut up old mini blinds and write on them in pencil. The pencil won't fade or wash away (even in the garden!!). (permanent marker wont' wash off on it's trip, but will fade away after only a few weeks in the sun) I have also seen others use other cut up plastic items like milk jugs or yogurt containers...etc. I noticed that some people in this swap used paper or labels, which got wet and some were completely unreadable. (surprise plants ;-)

Anyway, I just wanted to point these things out. I have made these mistakes and have had other more experienced traders point them out to me. I hope that these little tips will help others out as well!

Amy

• shadysite
    14 years ago

OK, I'm almost done with everything! It rained last night and everything got a good soaking and surprise, one of the imipatiens balsamica which I thought were pretty dead had a FLOWER! Whoooo-hee!

Amy, I put organic material for the topping because some people are nervous about newspaper inks, but my extension agent says worms could care less so why should we. you can use straw, newspaper, dried grass (get rid of your crabgrass FOREVER!) Feed them MORE before they run out. Start with a bit; give them a couple of days; add some more. The worms eat their bedding if they run out of food,but if you feed them a little bit more than they need they will lay eggs, produce little ones,and multiply.

DO NOT STIR: Worms need some dry areas and the longer they sit in the same box, the wetter it gets from their defecation AND the decay of vegetables. Some people make a hole in the bottom of the box to let the vermicompost water run off. This has never really worked for me. It is gets to damp, I just tilt the box a bit and let the liquid run out OR add more shredded newspaper to the top, let it get wet, toss it in the compost bin, and repeat until the top layer is fairly dry.

Holes in the lid: my hang loose ext.ag. says "don't bother". If you have one or two inches of open air between the layers and the lid, there is enough oxygen as long as you open the box to feed twice a week.

Thrilled to know they survived....I was worried. Lisa

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Amy thank you for pointing that out. I may add that to the rules section in the next swap posting for the fall swap because I did notice that also.

Lisa - Its great when you get that first bloom from a swap isn't it? my impatients haven't bloomed yet but look a WHOLE lot better than they did. (Don't think they like being shipped) but they did survive. Yeah! I DO have a small yellow bloom on one of the corepsis sunrise tequilla! Ahhhh I was sooo excited! I LOVE this flower!

Lisa - The worms: I am not sure how much food is too much? can I add too much? Will I know if I have? I don't want to kill my worms now that I have a nice home for them. I put about a cup of veggie scraps in there about 3 days ago and it looked like a lot. I opened it last night to check and the worms were in the scraps - i am guessing eating? They still have their little bedding section. I am thinking I may need to add more bedding to make it bigger for them. But my question is if I fed them about a cup 3 days ago how long should I wait to give them more? Should I wait until all that is gone? Or should I keep poping some in there with the old to give them variety. LOL.

Anyway any more info is great. :-)

Fran - Can't wait for your swap! Wish we lived closer. LOL Anyway I hope you are feeling better now that you have your internet back! (Are you still with the same company?)

Tammy

• cjcjmass
    14 years ago

Hello everyone,
    I just wanted to say thank you on educating me on several way to wrap, pot and plant.I pretty sure that i'm the plastic bag lady. I'm still waiting on my box to arrive hopefully it will come tomorrow,

cindy

Fran i'm sending you a e-mail

• shadysite
    14 years ago

Tammy, I would let them eat what they have until it's almost gone and then add some more.

1/ You don't want to give them too little because they will die.
    2/ You don't want to give them too much because fruitflies or some noxious critter might take over.

If you do get fruitflies, make sure there is plenty of shredded newspaper on top and put a funnel over a deep jar that has a little cider vinegar in the bottom (my ext ag again) and the fruitflies will dive in and not get out.

Worms eat their weight in a week or so. If you go on vacation, overfeed them, put in plenty of bedding, and they should be happy till you get back.

BTW,I've been told they really stink if they die! Their compost doesn't smell. You can either mix it in with your potting soil or dug up hole soil or sprinkle it around after you dry it out and let it sink in with rain. I've been told that seeds started in pure vermicompost are very strong, but I've never had enough to test that.

Lisa

• bigmama4ever
    14 years ago

tammy, i need your addy so i can send the postage tomorow, and how much???norma

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cindy,... Honey... I have HORRIBLE news. I just got home and on my step was YOUR BOX! I WAS very upset as I read on it that something black got smeared on the second half of your address in shipping and it got returned to me as insuffient address.... errrr. I am sooo upset!

Anyway I will mail out first thing monday morning but as I can't read your address to send I need you to email me. I WILL be giving the PO a hard time about this. I don't understand why it tookk this long to return unless it was almost to you before it happened. And will expect them to overnight it for free (at least I will be trying for that since it is their fault!)

I am sooo sorry for you and that this happened with your box.

PLEASE send me your addy again asap so I can get this taken care of as soon as possible.

Bigmama sending you an email. Did you get your box then? :-)

Tammy :-(
    Being very sad for cindy!

• cjcjmass
    14 years ago

Hello everyone.
    I glad to hear that everyone is Happy and playing in the dirt. Tammy I will send you my address thru e-mail..Bigmamma4ever i have not recieve a e-mail from you. Hope all is well with you. Fran sending you a e-mail

cj

• bigmama4ever
    14 years ago

wow wonder what they did to my box, do yo have a confermation no. for my box..

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bigmama I will let you know what it is as soon as I check the tickets in my purse.

Thanks cindy. Will check email right now:-)

Tammy

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

WELL, I have say and I can't believe (well yes I can, it is how things have been going lately) that I, ME I was the FIRST one to kill my worms!
    I am so upset, I just can't believe that I did it so freaking SOON! I am pretty sure I know what happened, and I thought I was doing good, but as it turns out because I found confliciting information online I obvisouly did the WRONG thing.
    I put in coffee grounds thinking this is a good thing well, as it turns out worms really don't like a lot of them and I think I added WAY to many because somewhere I read it is ok Well it ISN'T!
    They do not like a lot of them at one time, plus I was worried about adding way too much liguid and when I added to coffee grounds they must have sucked up what water I did have in there because when I went to check on my worms the coffee grounds were pretty dry although the potato peels I had put in were still wet and some of the baby worms had crawled up to the top of my pail (ice cream 5 qt pail) and was clinging to the rim.
    BUT they were all dead. I couldn't find not one alive and I couldn't find all of them either. I sifted through all the stuff hoping to find a few survivors but alas there seems to be none.

I am so up set! I was so excited about having some, I thought about going and getting some out of the yard. I have read though that these are NOT the same species that are used for vericomposting. I don't know, I have read different info on this as well.

OH WELL, I was hoping I would have better luck then this.

I am sorry a few boxes have gotten misdirected, unfortunately this does happen from time to time and is to be expected. With any luck Norma's will show up soon and Cindy will get her's in good shape as well.
    The Postal service has gotten rather sucky as of late, you'd think with what they charge the service would be outstanding!

Tammy, don't feel bad, this is not your fault and you have no control over how the Postal System conducts THIER business and NO ONE blames you! It could happen to any of us at any time, this is the chance we take when we ship items!

• cjcjmass
    14 years ago

Tammy once that package left your hands and into the PO hands you have no control over what happen too the packages. I want to apologize to everyone who recieved soggy plants from me. This was my first big swap and boy was did I miss up big time. Once again i'm sorry ...

cj

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Cindy hon, we all live and learn. We all have a first time. You'll do better the next time.

I sent a soggy plant, but it was soggy because it must have gotten rained on. Where I had them sitting I was watching how much water I gave them because I have purposely put them in baggies with no holes and it must have rained when I didn't know it because come shipping time I realized they were SOAKED, BUT I went ahead and sent them anyway.
    It was the Trumpet Vines, so if they don't make it and I am thinking they might not have since they got water logged, I WILL replace them.
    I just need to dig some more and put them in something else to make them grow BEFORE I ship. I just thought they would be ok where I had them, BUT I am thinking they were not.

OK well, I am going to go check on a few more things, ya'll be watching for the my fall swap I am going to post it sometime this week. I am getting ready to start working out the details.

I am not sure if I will do what Tammy did with the pick your plants or the way I did it before and have everyone list what they are sending in an pick from that. Tammy, I really like the pick your plants concept much better because then I am not guessing what others want LOL, but on the other hand the element of surprise plants are always fun too....hmmmmm, STILL thinking about this one!
    Maybe I will let whoever signs up decide which way the group would like to do it!

• bigmama4ever
    14 years ago

i like the pick your own plants, dont like doubles. or have already tryed and didnot work.. was very lucky this time..well still long time.. has everyone gotten their boxes here???

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Sorry I haven't posted sooner, it's been a bad weekend, I've not been feeling well so I haven't been able to do much of anything. Oh well, that's just how it goes sometimes.

I am so bummed to hear about Cindy's box!!!! Cindy, please send me your address and I will send you replacement plants for everything I sent!! I really would like to do this for you. Please send me an email. Also, Please, Please don't feel bad for what I said about the packing suggestions. I was not trying to make anyone feel bad and I'm so sorry if you do!! I know we all learn from doing things and that's why I wanted to point those few things out. I did the same thing when I first started out and had others point it out to me so don't feel bad!!! I hope that you will continue to trade with us!!! :-)

Bigmama, I will send you replacements too if your aren't in good shape. Please let me know, I hope you get your box tomorrow!!

Tammy, don't feel bad!! This is very unfortunate.

What a great group and swap this has been!! I am so excited about all of my plants! Here's a picture of my new garden area that I filled in with some of the plants from this swap. I can't wait to see how beautiful it will be next summer!! :-)

Amy

• threas
    14 years ago

Amy, the garden looks great! Hope you are feeling better soon.
    Cindy & Norma, I will replace what I can too, just let me know, what doesn't make it. This was my first big swap also. I wasn't too sure how to wrap stuff either. I would like to know what did and didn't make it, so I can learn what works & what doesn't.
    Fran, sorry about your worms. Mine didn't make it either.
    How do you guys do so many swaps? Don't you run out of different things to send?

Theresa

• shadysite
    14 years ago

Fran, I've been told that if your dampen a large piece of cardboard, like the corrugated cardboard of a packing box, and leave it overnight in the garden, red worms (eisenia foetida) will collect on it. I haven't tried this, but you might want to. While the worms were originally imported "by mistake" as are the earthworms we see most often "true North American earthworms apparently grow three feet plus long and live way deep), they naturally gravitate to the topo litter level of the soil and are everywhere.

But, Fran, this was the first time I tried to send worms through the mail' I would be happy, as I told Theresa, to try packing them in something stronger. I will replace, if you like. I usually put my coffee grounds around the azaleas and rhododendrons because they LOVE acidic soil. My dad did that for years! Drove my mom crazy to have a bowl of coffeegrounds hanging around all the time.

Cindy, if the Euphorbia doesn't make it, I can replace that too. It's unkillable in my book, but you never know.

Did someone send me an "extra" that had "pink" on the label? All the ink on the tag ran and I can't figure out what it was. I planted it in the sun and it looks like it might be a canna. Put out a new leaf so it's doing well, but...what is it? Maybe I'll find out next year.....

Lisa

• cjcjmass
    14 years ago

Hi Lisa,
    If you said Ink running it sound like me and it is a canna and it is so pretty once in bloom. Everyone has been so understanding about me being a newbie. Let's all have a group hugh.:). I'm a strong believer that the plant are going to be ok if not ladies please do not send any replacements.

Cindy

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

I think most of Cindy's plants will be ok too, I think everything was package pretty well. I have a confession I am STILL planting some of the ones that was packed the best.
    I planted the ones that needed special attention first so my point is that Cindy's should do just fine.

Theresa, to answer your question, from MY stand point in each swap I am in I do not offer the same things each time.
    I have different things I have mulitplies of and I offer those at different times because I KNOW there are going to be other swaps I want to join so I don't offer everything at one time ;).

Amy that garden is going to look super when it matures! Looks really great!

Cindy, I have something that looks like and elephant ear that can from you could it be a canna or could it be a elephant ear? It looks like it has a bulb on it but I am not sure because the bulb/tuber was cut and it has a leaf of it but it hasn't unfurled yet?
    SOOO could it be another canna OR could it be and ee? Thanks!!! lol

• threas
    14 years ago

Thanks, Fran, for the tip. I have to learn all the ins and outs of these swaps. I really was a nervous wreck, trying to get organized with this one. It took me 3 days to get it together!LOL
    I'm still planting too, in between the rain.

Theresa

n

• cjcjmass
    14 years ago

Hi theresa you should have seen me sitting in the middle of the floor just looking crazy.

Fran that is a Black Knight Canna is it still alive.
    It said to say that alot of my plant that I have taken piece off are now in shock and i'm trying to figure out
    what i can do to stop them from dieing.

cj

• threas
    14 years ago

Cindy, I was out on my deck, doing the same thing. Just staring at everything, feeling overwhelmed! LOL

Theresa

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Cindy, what plants are you worried about that you don't think will make it? The ones your are talking about going into shock that is which ones are they?
    I am sending you an email about the plant I am talking about needing an ID, it is not a canna, I looked at the leaf after I posted, I unfurled it some more and I am pretty sure I know what it is but I want to get a confirm from you lol.

Theresa I am glad I am not the only one still planting. I have felt bad and not had the enegry to get out and do too much plus our heat has been terrible, I WISH we'd get some rain, I tell you I'd be out in it doing stuff. It has been in the 90's here, not as bad as the 100's we usually have but not too much better either!

Rain would be welcomed, I have been having to water everyday sometimes more them once for newly planted stuff and seedlings I am trying to start. Some of the things I received in this swap I am very much worried about, I think they have been toasted/roasted or fried, I am not sure what. BUT I am watering so I am hoping they are ok. We'll see.
    Most of everything I got though looks ok, so I am very hopeful it will all pull through. I think I am going to make a shade sheltered ICU for plants I receive in future swaps, that way the sun will not be able to cook them to death.
    I wasn't thinking and went ahead and put a few things in the flowerbed thinking if I watered them they would be ok but something I received and I can't remember which one it is at the moment petered out I am so hoping it will come back with waterings but with our high temps I think it is a goner!!!
    So I am seriously thinking I should make a shade shelter, put every new plant in it, baby the heck out of them then in the fall plant everything!

I hate the thought of losing plants esp. when it was a plant I really wanted!!!

Anyway, I hope everyone will share pics of their plants next year, that would be fun to see. A thread with pics from these large swaps!!!

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

Hi all,
    Cindy, let us know which plants you're worried about, may be we can help! Also, I sent you an email, hopefully it didn't go into your spam folder.

Fran, I wish we would get some rain too!! We're so far behind and everything is so dry! My veggie garden looks so pathetic, I'm sad. Summer is so short here and I feel so bad when the gardens don't do so well!

Theresa, I try to keep some rooted plants around that I use specifically for trading. I also just offer cuttings of some plants. As for perennials, I just list the plants that I have that are ready to be divided. I have a lot of duplicates out in the garden and I'm trying to get rid of a lot of those so I can make room for new stuff. I try to keep my list updated as much as I can after each trade (which can be challenging sometimes) :-)

My dad planted the last few things from my box in my gardens this weekend. So I'm officially done planting! I love trading with such nice people and can't wait for the next swap!!

Amy

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Theresa - I do the same as Fran and offer what has recently stopped blooming in my garden. I find it is easier on the plant if you wait until after it is done for the season. Sometimes i will exception to the rule but normally thats how i do it. So it is normally new/different stuff from the last one. Occasionally I will offer some of the same if I know there are others interested in it that didn't get any in the last swap.

I wanted to tell everyone thanks for the coneflowers. I ended up getting about 4 or 5 of them and am so excited because I love coneflowers.

I reallly want a ton of BES if anyone has any and wants to add them to their list in the 100 fall swap...

Amy - Must be nice to be done. I still have a couple straglers that I just haven't had time to get in. They are still looking strong or I would have pushed harder but I do need to get them in.

Bigmama - Did you get your box today???

Sorry guys. I prayed the rain in. LOL I really needed it and after I planted everything I told DH to start praying it would rain for a week so I wouldn't have to water all those plants- it would have been a job! since I have them everywhere.. And surprise.. It came. LOL

Amy - Your new garden looks great already I can see the potential for next spring. I think my problem is I don't put stuff close enough. I am always scared they are going to be too crowded and now look right. How did you decied on how far to space them?

Question: how big does beebalm get? I have some but am not sure how close to plant everything around it. (and how tall)

BTW the Fall one is posted now from fran so everyone interested just mosy over and signup...

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Theresa,

the Dwarf Pomgranate. Is it outdoor hardy or is it a pot plant that I should take in in winter. That may be a stupid question but I am not sure. I always though figs could be outdoors here but found out I was wrong and now I have 4 outdoors. LOL. So hence the question. I would think it would need to come in but wanted to make sure...?

Tammy

• threas
    14 years ago

Tammy, the Dwarf Pomegranate is not winter hardy.
    how did the other pllants fair? Is the Vigna Caracalla still alive?
    Thanks for all the tips for swaps, guys.

Theresa

• shadysite
    14 years ago

Cindy,the plants you sent me are doing fine! The four o'clocks are looking perky as is the Lenten rose; the mystery canna --pink persuasion? -- has new leaf! I find the miracle of garden life continually amazing. Things want to grow and we just have to figure out where to place them. I have a lot to learn about mailing plants as well as I've only traded with neighbors/local friends before.

Let me know about the euphorbia when you get it. I expect some of it will survive and flourish with shade and water!

Enjoy your garden,old favorites and newbies!

Thanks to all who sent daylilies -- they seem to be indestsructible too. Lisa

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Ladies, I have some bad news.

I just, this past weekend really, found out about the HVX (Hosta Virus X) in Hosta. I believe my August Moon to have it, maybe the Golden Tiara too although it is not showing signs of this virus yet, nor are my S. Elegans HOWEVER, from what I read all plants from Lowe's, Wal-Mart and other stores of this nature hostas all seem to be infected with the virus.
    A lot of mine this year came from Wal-Mart and a few from Lowe's. If you do not know what this virus is please do some research on it, it is BAD.

SO, I will ask that you DO NOT PLANT the hosta that I sent you in your garden, if you want to try to keep them please plant them in pots. I recommend however that you get rid of them to be on the safe side.
    DO NOT COMPOST THEM, DO NOT HAVE THEM NEAR YOUR OTHER HOSTAS, IF you did plant them in a hosta bed or shade bed already please remove them and the dirt around them and destroy/disgard them.
    Yes, if they are infected it is that bed. Wrap them in newspaper and put in the garbage NOT in your compost or in any yard waste. This is a bad virus, it will infect other hosta if it comes into contact with them, either through the roots or juices in the plants.

I am sorry and I feel really bad but I didn't know about this virus until this weekend. THEN I began to read about it. I had found a nice little Fire and Ice hosta at Lowe's a few weeks ago, the SO purchased it for me.
    Well when I started reading about this virus I suspected it might be infected as well and returned it this weekend. I was so heartbroken, I really wanted that plant.
    However, based on what I found out about this virus I don't think I will be purchasing Hosta from any of the box stores around here.

I want to apologize again if I did indeed pass along diseased hostas, it was not intentional nor was it from my knowledge at the beginning of this swap, please forgive me.
    However, now that I know I want to make everyone aware of this virus. Please learn as much as you can about it and be cautious when making purchases, learn who the best suppliers are and purchase plants from them!

Again I am so sorry for any bad plants I might have passed along.

Fran

• shadysite
    14 years ago

Tammy, I have two brown turkey figs and they do fine -- between our house sidewall and the half wall (2 feet tall) between our house and the next -- semi shade. I think BTF do fine in MD with a little protection. Sort of like camellia. Plant closes to a wall/fence or wrap with burlap???? during the winter.

I did hear of someone in Canada who dug a 10 foot hole, wrapped his trimmed fig trees every winter, and lowered them into the hole, piled leaves all around, and then raised them up every summer. WAY too much work! Lisa

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lisa - I agree. I LOVE figs but that would be way to much work. I will try the wrappng with burlap if that don't work they will not be replanted. LOL

Fran - I am so sorry your hostas were not well. And I forgive you it could happen to any of us and Thank you for letting us know. I don't think a lot of people would have had the guts to get on here and confess. LOL.

Theresa - That is what I suspected. So now I have a lemon and pomgrante that will need a home inside. Boy DH is going to love me. LOL.

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

I ended up with Toni's Golden Chain Tree that was intended for Robin. Robin, if you are playing in Fran's swap, I can send it on to you that way, provided I keep it alive until then. It is in a big pot for now.

~CA

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

Hey, I forgot to ask...Tammy, what is "BES".

Also Tammy, could you pray for rain for us up here too since you are so good at it!? LOL!! As for how I decided on the spacing of my plants...I guessed. Two summers ago I was very lucky to get a car load (literally!) of plants from a friend's house. I dug a new garden and packed the stuff in there (because I had limited room for everything). I decided that garden looked better than any of my other gardens where I spaced stuff out more. So I decided to put these closer together. My dad thinks they are too close together, we'll see! :-) I'm trying to get better at making my gardens look more random and full, I used to try to space them perfectly and make my gardens symmetrical. But that's too formal for me! Oh, and the bee balm that I have gets about 3 feet tall. But I'm not sure if there are other dwarf varieties.

Cindy, great news!! My fireworks clematis came back to life, I'm SO excited!!! The roots looked good when I unpacked it so I put it in a pot and crossed my fingers. WELL, this morning I noticed new growth!! I am so happy, YIPPIE!!!

Fran, so sorry to hear about your Hostas!! :-( I really hope that you discovered the problem early enough to stop it in your garden! Thank you so much for letting us know too, I didn't get any hostas, but it was so great that you let everyone know! Not your fault either, how could you know if there weren't any signs before?

Amy

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

I am truly sick about the hosta, I went out today and looked at some of them and the ones I got from Wal-Mart do look like they all have it.
    That includes the S. Elegans, August Moon and some of MY Golden Tiara, however, some of my Golden Tiara came from a friend although I am not sure which batch is which so all of mine are goine bye bye.
    I am not going to take a chance on messing up the better ones I have. I am heartbroke however, it irks me to know end that these companies can sell these plants with no care on their part!

I think I am going to totally redo the bed the hostas were in and put my daylilies there since it does get a good bit of sun they should be happy there.

Thanks everyone, I really am sorry this happened but I really had no idea until this weekend about this virus.
    When I read the hosta from the box store are usually infected I thought well that is just great there goes a lot of money down the hole.
    I had gotten a gift card for my Bday and used that to purchase my hostas from. I am hoping I can get a refund I am not sure if I have the receipt or not but if I do those things are surely going back!

OH, life happens....

Thanks for understanding everyone!!!

• shadysite
    14 years ago

Fran, I am sending you separately a pic of some of my hostas, none of which came from a box store. They don't seem to have the virus. Let me know if you want any of them,so I can plan divisions for you. I am out of the country from September 15 to November 15, but I would be happy to wait till they sprout in the spring and send you some.

It is so depressing to treasure a plant, cherish its growth, and then have to get rid of it.

Lisa

• threas
    14 years ago

Fran, so sorry to hear about your hostas.
    Wow, Lisa traveling for business or pleasure?
    Amy, BES, I know as Black Eyed Susan.

Did the PG hydrangeas & Butterfly Bushes I sent make it?

Theresa

• cjcjmass
    14 years ago

shadysite thanks for letting me know how the plants are dong pls keep me informed.

Amy i'm glad to here about the fireworks climates mine has a few buds on them now.

bigmamma4every did you get your box yet?

Hopefully mines will be here by tomorrow.

good nite.
    Cj

• bigmama4ever
    14 years ago

yup finaly got it , box looked like it was runed over, lots of plants in perill, the pond plants are more mushi than green, the susies and puple cone flowers, well we have roots we will see..the roots on the daylilys were growing through the paper towels, but they are resilaint, some were just wraped in newspaper with no wet material, we will see on those too...with this heat i dont think half will make it...i was hoping it will rain but no monsoon on sight and i ran out of pots, well ill baby them and see what happens...and it wasnt sent priority.

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Norma - Since you didn't want me to send you the box back because of the cost of postage I covered the other $11 dollars and sent it parcel post. The Priority mailer I couldn't afford to cover for you. I truely hope you can doctor them back to life.

Tammy

• threas
    14 years ago

Norma, I hope the MIA plants take off for you. If there's nything you want replaced, please let me know. I would love to help.
    TY for the wonderful plants!
    Theresa

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

bigmama, sorry to hear about your box!! I will definitely be able to send you replacements. I have so much extra stuff too so please let me know. I need to get rid of a lot of this stuff before winter comes or I'll be in big trouble! LOL!! :-) I'll send you an email.

Amy

• cjcjmass
    14 years ago

Hello everyone,

Bigmamma sorry to hear about your plants.I recieved my box today and something just did not make it though the heat and some just rotted out. A few are in ICU so we will see what happens.

Thanks everyone for sharing.
    Cindy

• bigmama4ever
    14 years ago

thanks everyone, ill just baby these and see what happens..i just would like maybee in the fall some coneflowers, black eye s..walkin something onions?? never had those and was really amazed to see those..phlox, ill see what i have to trade see ya then...

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

Good morning everybody!!!
    I don't have time to read all post but I see there has been problems with boxes.

Bigmama if you need anything of mine replaced just let me know, It's better if you email me and i'll get it out to you on Mon. or Tues. OK :o)

Amy I received your box yesterday, WOW sweety you did not have to do that, YOU ARE WONDERFUL. I hate that you had to spend the extra on postage. Plants received in great shape. I love what you sent I didn't even notice you didn't send them before, hehe

You all have a great and safe weekend,
    Carmen

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

Carmen, that box was for the other swap (tropical/cacti/succulents). LOL! It gets confusing when you are in multiple swaps with some of the same people doesn't it! :-) Anyway, glad to hear that you received the box and you're happy with what I sent.

bigmama, you let me know when it's ok weather wise to send you some black eyed susan. I have a ton of it to share. You're name is on some of those for sure!

Amy