Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southerncharm1_gw

UPDATE: Incredible Edible August Swap Partners.

southerncharm1
15 years ago

Good morning ladies! Thank you all for signing up, I hope you all enjoy this swap. Please send an email to your swap partner. I'll post another thread later for delivery confirmations to be posted and show who's gotten their goodies and who's still waiting. Remember to have your partners goodies in the mail by the 8th of August at the latest! Happy swapping!!!

We are swapping a recipe with the seeds that the recipe calls for, please send 3-5 packets of seeds and an item or 2 that would compliment the recipe. IE, bamboo skewers for kabobs, corn cob holders for grilled corn, etc... You can also get with your swap partner and decide if you would like to send extra seeds. :) It's up to you. :)

SWAP PARTNERS:

Southerncharm1(Kathy) swaps with Booberry(Becky)

Sunnyk(Donna) swaps with Micyrey(Michelle)

Amybabyboy3(Amy) swaps with Luvgardening2(Nancy)

Iheartroscoe(Heather) swaps with Bonechickchris(Christy)

Daphne16(Daphne) swaps with Gardenkitteh(Diane)

Bonechickchris(Christy) swaps with iheartroscoe(Heather)

Booberry(Becky) swaps with SouthernCharm1(Kathy)

Gardenkitteh(Diane) swaps with Daphne16(Daphne)

Luvgardening2(Nancy) swaps with Amybabyboy3(Amy)

Micyrey(Michelle) swaps with Sunnyk(Donna)

Comments (63)

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The suspense is starting to get to me! ROFL!!! I'm going out this weekend to see just what I can get my hands on... :D I can't wait to hear what everyone gets and all those yummy recipes!!! :)

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Changed one of the recipes I was going to give. Now I have to change some seeds! LOL!

"So much time. So little to do. No, strike that. Reverse it." Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Michelle-The seeds are on their way :)

Delivery Confirmation # is:
    0307 1790 0005 4925 2017

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Well, I was gathering up my goodies this morning for my swap partner. I had to change out some seeds because I changed recipes. I was looking at the recipes and realized I printed out one for "potato soup." What a dingbat I am! Who wants potato soup at a BBQ. So I'll be printing the replacement recipe soon. I'm still hoping to get the package out sometime this week. I swear I get more scatter-brained the older I get!

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Becky you're not a dingbat, you just have Willy Wonka syndrome! That can simply be cured with a good old chocolate bar! roflmbo
    Well maybe out there somewhere... someone... is eating potato soup at a BBQ!? hehehe I have all of your other goodies in a box waiting for their seed buddies to get here. :D

On a sadder note, the caterpillars ate all my zucchini and squash I planted for fall. They are EVERYWHERE!!! In my Zinnias out front too. Little buggers! Seems everywhere I go I see holes... hmph... Anyone know what to do about them, other than squish em? My tummy can't handle all that.

Hope you all are having a good week!

Kathy

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Kathy, you should make it a contest with your kids to see how many caterpillars they can smoosh without hurting anything else. Isn't that what kids are for? LOL!

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That would get them cleared up pretty quickly! LOL

• iheartroscoe
    15 years ago

I saw my first tomato hornworm today. I actually felt kind of bad for killing it (which I did by accident anyway). My husband made me feel even worse about killing it!

On a happier note, I have all my seeds ready to send out. I'm just waiting for the date to be closer to August 13th (which is what my partner and I agreed upon).

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I wouldn't feel bad at all about smooshing them. They are satan reincarnated with a teenager's appetite. Several years ago they decimated 6 pepper plants in one night. Nothing left but the stems.

On a more positive note, Kathy, I did send out your package today. You should receive it the middle of next week.

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Heather all I'm gonna say is yuck! LOL Hubbys are good at rubbing it in though. Those silly men! :) The only thing I don't mind killing are spiders, and then only if they get on me and it's usually by involuntary spiderslaughter! hehehe Picture me sitting here, spider landing on me. Me jumping up and down going Oh! oh! oh! oh!, slapping wherever my hands shall land then comes the body shiver, you know the one that starts at your feet and works all the way up your body. It's really not that humorous at the moment though. My DH being all chivalrous, laid over with tears in his eyes laughing so hard he can hardly breath. Story of my life...

Becky, I'm so excited, I can't wait to get it!
    I checked the other shipment DC and it should be here today! YAY! I will most likely have your goodies sent out on Friday after all! :D

• iheartroscoe
    15 years ago

I have bad reactions to spiders, too :) I also run around the yard like a maniac if I hear a wasp by me.

I didn't feel so bad about killing that tomato hornworm today when I was eating my yummy tomatoes!

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

One must do all one can to protect the yummy tomatoes, that is the law.....

I know I read that somewhere once...or maybe that is just my take on the whole tomato hornworm debate ROTFLMBO!!

I hope everyone is having a good day today!! :)

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Heather, that is so funny! I can completely relate! HAHAHA!
    Funny story, to make it short I had one in my pants! Stripped down my pants as I was running across the yard. ROFLMBO!!! Bugger stung me 5 times before I even knew what had happened!

Donna, Yes that is the tomato law! Well it should be if it isn't. :D

I'm gonna plant some more seeds and see if I can get my kids to "control" the caterpillar population for me. LOL

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Note to Self: Do not have a mouth full of coffee while reading Kathy's posts. In your pants?!!!!! That's quite a visual! Now I have to clean the coffee off the monitor!

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Becky~ ROFLMBO, Yes in my pants! Hope the coffee didn't make too big of a mess. I'll put a warning up next time I post one of my silly stories! ;) Guess what??? I mailed out your package today, I really hope you like it!
    DC is 0308 1400 0001 2900 7555

• iheartroscoe
    15 years ago

I'm afraid to go outside after the pants story! I think I would die if that happened to me :)

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

Hello
    you guies are just nuts!!!
    but then aren't we all
    I got my envie from SunnyK yesterday
    she sent me a Recipe for Memphis style BBQ rub
    and it sounds great, I will deffinantly try this
    and the seeds are
    onion
    thyme
    oregano
    cayenne pepper
    paprika
    and some grillin' vegies
    zucs green and yellow
    egg plant
    and for fruit salad
    watermelon
    cantaloupe
    and kiwi

thanks a bunch I evan have mustard, celery and coriander to go with it too.

I'll have yours out on monday or tuesday

thanks
    michelle

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

:) I am glad you got your envie so quickly!!

And note....I didnt send any spiders for you to put in your pants either!!!

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ROFLMBO!!!

Michelle sounds like you got an awesome mix of goodies! :) Donna good job keeping the spiders and wasps out! hehehehe

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

I do my best......

LMBO!!

• gardenkitteh
    15 years ago

Okay, so my computer is working again, and I've sent Daphne her box.

In other news, my garden is pretty. . .

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    my package for miss sunny was picked up today.
    darn I knew I forgot something, I forgot to send a spider.
    I'm so very sorry, I hope you don't feel too put out.
    I like having spiders in the garden I evan bring in a few for the winter to put in my basement greenhouse, they cut down on the white flies and other bugs that can be a problem with plants indoors for the winter.
    but you can keep the the wasps, my 2 year old go attacked by at least 10 of them when he was being nosy about the nest I did not know was there. they stung him at least twice, luckly he dose not seem to be allergic.
    I'll se ya all later
    michelle

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Oooo I am so excited, I will keep an eye out on the mail!!
    And poor little guy being tormented by the wasps...I hope he is feeling ok and not to sore at the sting sites.

Truly it is ok about no spider....I have plenty here to choose from. Earwigs too, I almost plotzed last year when I asked my then 17 year old son to cut down a mock orange for me.... half way thru he went deathly pale and started to strip before running in the house....earwigs down his boxers( I probably would have stripped bare butt in the backyard if it had been me LOL)

Donna

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gardenkitteh! So glad to have you back with us! You were missed. :) Those darn puters, I wish it would give us a heads up when they decide to bite the dust! LOL So good to hear that your garden is doing well. :)

Daphne, I hope you had a great vacation!!!

Becky your package came today, but we were at the beach. :( They didn't leave it here, so I'll pick it up tomorrow in the am! I'm so excited and anxious I could burst! LOL

Michelle, I'm sorry about your baby getting stung. I can't imagine being 2 and having to feel that. Ouch! Those things lay on quite a sting!

Donna, I'm cringing at the thought of anything in my undies! ROFLMBO!!! Poor guy, I bet he was surely traumatized! LOL Creepy crawlies give me the heebie jeebies! No doubt, I would have been running around screaming ripping my clothes off! HAHAHA!

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I picked up my swap today from Becky! :)

Becky sent me a wonderful Good Grillin "Fun Kit" (how clever!) ;)

Recipes were these (printed on the cutest dot print paper!):
    Just Dew it Smoothie
    Cole Slaw with radish and kolrabi (never tried kolrabi) :)
    Vegetable Shish Kabobs
    Best! Deviled Eggs
    Tortellini Salad with Pine nuts (love pine nuts!)
    Dinosaur Mutha BBQ Sauce
    (My mouth is watering just thinking about all these yummy recipes)

Seeds (came in cute little packets that look all wrapped up in flower paper and tied in gold and red ribbon!):
    Evergreen Bunching Onion
    Pepper California Wonder
    Sweet Basil
    Radish Sparkler
    Watermelon Sugar baby
    Blackeyed peas California
    Early Purple Vienna Kolrabi
    Dark Green Italian Parsley
    Sweet Pepper hybrid mix (reds yellows and purples)
    Black beauty Zucchini
    Honey Dew Melon
    Roma tomatoes

I also received some red Mardi Gras beads!
    Extra Strength Excedrin in case I have too much fun! hehehe
    A smiling sun shaped serving tray!
    A fat quarter of the cutest dragonfly fabric! (I already have plans for it!)
    Silicon Basting brushes (so cool!)
    Sunblock Dab on spot stick
    Moisturizer spf15 Pocket Lip balm
    and Last but not least a wonderful note from Becky and a card that has a plantable FLOWER on it! SO NEAT!

I hope I didn't leave anything out. :)
    Becky thank you so much!. :)

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I hope you enjoy the recipes Kathy. They're some of my favorites. It was a lot of fun to put together.

• iheartroscoe
    15 years ago

That sounds like an excellent package! Good job, Becky! :)

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Wow, sounds like a great trade Southerncharm! Oooh, could you share with us the Tortellini Pinioli Nut recipe? Yummy! Waiting on one more seed delivery for my partner. I cannot wait! Christy

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Of course!

Tortellini Salad with Pine nuts

Ingredients:

Salad

2lbs fresh tortellini pasta (spinach, cheese, or mushroom fillings work well)
    1 cup green bell pepper chopped
    1 cup red bell pepper chopped
    1 cup green onion chopped
    1/2 cup pine nuts
    1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
    1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
    1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Dressing

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    1 garlic clove minced
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Ground black pepper
    3/4 cup Olive oil

Follow directions for cooking tortellini. Drain and place in a large bowl. Mix in remaining salad ingredients.

For dressing combine vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper in a small bowl. Whisk in oil until well combined. Pour over tortellini and chill.

• booberry85
    15 years ago

WhooHoo! I received my loot today and I'm a happy camper! Southerncharm1 / Kathy was my swap partner.

I received flat glass marbles, in purply blue. When I first saw them, i immediately thought, "They're stepping stones for fairies." I also received a glass candle that you fill with lamp oils, again in purple. My favorite color! I received purple plant labels - very cool! Lastly for gadgets, I received wooden shish kabob skewers. I love using these as stakes for seedlings that might be a little floppy.

For my seeds I received:
    Yellow Giant Sweet Bell Peppers ( I love peppers)
    Anaheim Chili Peppers (I love spicy)
    Bogatyr Ukranian Sweet Bell Peppers (I'm part Ukrainian)
    Cayenne Long Thick Chili Peppers (I didn't have the thick ones until now)
    Voyager Tomatoes (I love tomatoes)
    Green Mottled Grey Zucchini (I love squash)
    Early Straightneck Summer Squash (I love squash)
    Purple Sweet Rocket (reminds me of London)
    Granex Onions(great for grilling)

Lastly, I received the recipes. These were on hand designed cards and put into a hand designed envelop. Very well done with purple & black borders. The recipes are right up my alley! They include: Chicken Kabob Marinade, Family Recipe for Chicken Kabobs, Superb Grilled Potato Skins, Grilled Tomato Salsa, and Stuffed Strawberry "Flowers." Fantastic! It's like Kathy read my mind with the recipes!

Thank you so much!

• amybabyboy3
    15 years ago

Nancy, Your package is going out tomorrow. Take care, Amy

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Becky I'm very glad that you got your package and liked what I sent. I really enjoyed putting it together! :) I was giggling when I got your recipe for kabobs! ;)

Can't wait for the next swap! :)

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

I recieved my envy from Michelle...and man did she stuff it good!! :)

I got a recipe for some yummy sounding Salsa...along with all of the seeds for everything in it!!

I got tomatoes:Gardener's Delight, Big mama, Juliet, Brandywine and Waylahead.I love all tomatoes :)

Peppers:Jalapeno, Hungarian Wax(cool because I am half Hungarian!), Cal Wonder, Mixed Hot, Sweet Banana, Serrano, and Peter Pepper(going to grow these and give a couple seedlings to my Mom and sister...cant wait to see their faces when the peppers form ROTFLMBO!!).

Onions: Scallions, White Lisbon, Sweet Spanish Utah.
    Garlic Chives and Corriander(Cilantro).

And she put them all into this absolutely beautiful card!! :)
    Thank You so much for the trade, it was fantastic.

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Oops ....
    I think I mispelled one of those tomato varieties ... it should be 'Wayahead'

Must go drink a cuppa coffee and wake up...

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Donna it sounds like you got an awesome trade! Good job Michelle! :)

Tomorrow is the last day for this swap. Please have your goodies in the mail tomorrow Friday the 8th, unless you have made other arrangements with your swap partner. :)

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    I'm glade you like them
    I just made my 1st batch of salsa for the year, I used the ziplick containers with twist on lids and put them in the freezer. the 1st bach of the year gose so quickly i don't bother canning it. last year I canned 30 jars of salsa and we have used them all. it makes nice gift baskets too.

you know I'm making myself houngry I think I'll have some chips and salsa for lunch YUMMMMMM

se yall later
    michelle

• iheartroscoe
    15 years ago

Sounds like everyone is getting great stuff! I can't wait to mail my package out to my partner...I think I can wait until Monday! :)

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL Michelle! Salsa does sound soo good! Specially homemade!

I just wanted to remind everyone to do a *Rate and Review* for their partners. :) I almost forgot. *eek!

• iheartroscoe
    15 years ago

My partner's package went out today! I hope you enjoy it, Christy :)

• amybabyboy3
    15 years ago

Nancy,
    Just wanted to check and make sure that you received the package that I sent. When you get a chance please let me know. Thanks, Amy

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Did everyone receive their goodies from their partners?

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Yep!! :)

• iheartroscoe
    15 years ago

My partner sent my early this week, so it should be here soon! :)

• amybabyboy3
    15 years ago

I got a email from Nancy that she got my package but I have not gotten the one from her. I will post when it arrives! Amy

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

I got my box from Heather a week ago, but was held up with my surgery, so I wanted to post all the cool stuff that I got from her now!
    I got:
    Eggplants as follows:
    Casper
    Diamond
    Black Beauty
    Thai Long Green
    Ping Tung
    Rotonda Bianca

Tomatoes as follows:
    Yellow Pear
    Peacevine
    Woodle Orange
    Gold Nugget
    Flame(Hillbilly)

Purple and Genovese Basils

White Wonder Cuke
    Lemon Squash
    Red Marconi Pepper
    Small Spoon Gourd
    Heirloom Lettuce Leaf Mix
    Jalepeno Pepper
    Dwarf GreySugar Pea
    Mississippi Black Cow Pea
    Bountiful GreenBean
    Romano Bush Bean
    and my favorite......Flamingo Pink Chard! How Cool!

I also got some cool mixed themed corn holders
    some candles and a holder for them
    And an awesome Grillin recipe mag (more like a book)
    Thanks again Heather! I was hoping you would get your package today, I hope it comes for tommorrow!
    Christy

• iheartroscoe
    15 years ago

I got my package of my Christy yesterday! It was FULL of seeds and goodies! I won't even be able to name them all here, but I'll name some of my favorites. Oh, and I got a few recipes also, which included: Tomato & Fresh Mozzarella Salad, Melon Cocktails, and Watermelon, Tomato, and Feta Salad!

-Red Black Diamond Watermelon
    -Yellow Striped Watermelon
    -Round Black Spanish Radish
    -Bambino Eggplant
    -Siamese Dragon Stir-Fry Mix (Asian Greens)
    -Thai Mung Beans
    -Tigger Melon (I cannot wait to try this one next year!)
    -Black Cherry Tomato
    -Twinkle Eggplant
    -Yellowstone Carrot
    -Millionaire Hybrid Eggplant
    -Red Shiso
    -Black Zebra Tomato
    -Sakata Asian Melon
    -Collective Farm Woman Melon
    -Emerald Gem Melon

There was also fun bowls, cups, ice cubes, salad tongs, etc. in the package.

I can't thank you enough for a great swap, Christy!

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow Heather and Christy, great swap!!! You both did a very nice job with all those goodies!!! :D

• amybabyboy3
    15 years ago

My package arrived today from Nancy! Thank you so much!
    She send a Kabob rack with skewers, silicone grill brushes, along with a recipe for Halibut Kabobs with zucchini and grape tomatoes. Also seeds for golden gem cherry and grape tomatoes and 2 kinds of zucchini, italian and dark. This will grow wonderful in my garden next year.

Nancy, Two of my favorite veggies and I just love the grill utensils. Thank you so much, Amy

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

YAY! Another great package of goodies! :) Good job Nancy!!! :)

• booberry85
    15 years ago

AI just love reading about what everyone got. People did a great job this round.

Becky (giving everyone a pat on the back for a swap well done!)