Shirley (Brittneygran) â¨- sent her package &
Laura (lilangel181) â¨
Sue G. (squanzon) - received her package ⨠&
Sheri (Panhandle_Seed_Swap) - sent her package â¨&
â¨Kim (klwallace12) - sent her package &

Comments (71)

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

My first pepper seedling was given to me last August, a Bhut Jolokia. I nurtured it outside, put in a big pot and brought it in for the winter. Maybe put it outside on nice days, but bring it in overnight anytime it might dip below fifty-five. Spent the winter indoors in a south facing window.
    I would forget to water it til it drooped, turns out that is what they like. It started flowering in Feb. That encouraged me. It dropped a lot of flowers between Feb and now. That is normal for Bhut Jolokia. Now it is setting fruit.

You can keep them going for fruit (I hear) for four years. Then you can make a pepper bonsai plant.

Mary E.

• toomanyanimals
    9 years ago

sugar beets?

We just had nickel sized hail.

sharon

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

Sheri -

Yes got your email - I mailed your pizza pepper seeds out for you on Saturday =) Hope you enjoy them and they do well for you!

Hugs!
    Jayeanne

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Sheri, did you grow up on a farm where garlic was grown?

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

STARTING TODAY... EVERYONE CAN HAVE 2 GUESSES, PER DAY, AT THE "MYSTERY CROP"!!!

I hope everyone has a really great week.

Sheri

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

OK, is it barley or garlic?

Mary E.

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Cherries or tobacco.

Not sure if these have already been guessed.

Thanks cottonwood,
    Okay can I change tobacco for broccoli, since tobacco was already guessed.

This post was edited by ruthz on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 9:33

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

tobacco was, pick another one

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

Im guessing pumpkins and/or mushrooms

Jayeanne

• cinnie0 (z 9b / So Cal)
    9 years ago

cherries, blackberries

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

How about Flax and Safflower? I don't think these have been chosen.

Sheri, the peppers stay outside, in the ground. I do keep them mulched...kind of...LOL. I prune them back in March.
    If I am concerned that we might get some frost/or get to cold (in the 30's), I just cover them....maybe, if I think about it. I will lose a pepper plant once in a while. Cold climates obviously can not do this. Cold zones overwinter inside as mentioned earlier by Mary E (cottonwood..)

Happy Monday!! Thunderstorms might be visiting us....I will take a 2 minute downpour....not greedy.....2 minutes of a good rain would be lovely!!

Annie

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tobacco and blackberries have already been picked. Ruth and Nikki, please guess one more guess today.

Here's a list of what's been picked:

corn
    bird seed
    sugarcane
    peanuts
    oranges
    apples
    potatoes
    alfalfa
    soybeans
    strawberries
    tomatoes
    cotton
    wheat (all kinds)
    blueberries
    cabbage
    pomegranates
    cranberries
    blackberries
    raspberries
    currants
    lavender
    sugar beets
    garlic
    barley
    cherries
    pumpkins (including all other winter squash, too)
    mushrooms
    flax
    safflower

Please let me know if I've missed any that have been already picked, thank you!

HINTS: It's known as a "Specialty Crop" and is mostly grown, commercially, in the more northern states (so no Southern-grown crops).

It's listed in the link below as a USDA Specialty Crop.

Sheri

Here is a link that might be useful: List of USDA Specialty Crops

This post was edited by Panhandle_Seed_Swap on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 11:36

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Sherri, I edited mine to change tobacco to broccoli.

Thanks for listing everything.

9 years ago

olives

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm going to give another BIG hint... this crop is an HERB.

Go ahead and take 2 more guesses, today, if you've already guessed.

It looks like no one has guessed any kind of herb today. Jayeanne has guessed lavender, already. Good luck and have fun guessing!

Sheri

• ruthz
    9 years ago

I'll guess oregano and dill

• sandlapper_rose
    9 years ago

basil and rosemary

9 years ago

cinnamon and nutmeg

This post was edited by cinnie0 on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 15:11

• lilangel181
    9 years ago

OMG I'm so sorry to stress yall out! I was unexpectedly computerless most of the week, so I didn't have Shirley's address or a way to let anyone know. Apologies all around!

Shirley, now that my computer is back in business I got your box mailed out first thing today and should arrive no later than Thursday. Tracking number 9114 9012 3080 3282 0979 66

My wonderful wonderful Shirley sent a bundle of goodies for summertime!!!

What an amazing box- you REALLY went overboard and I can't wait to see the colorful display it all produces next summer!!! Mike already stole the Lip Balm but I plan to guard those bath salts closely. They may just be the only thing keeping me sane through the early stages of wedding planning. (Current mantra- "I love my mother, I should not kill her... I love my mother, I should not kill her..."

And I love you guys, too!!
    ~ Laura

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

I'll guess parsley and cilantro.

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

Ill go with anise and/or calendula

Jayeanne

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

HHHMMM...Parsley is taken....I will guess Echinacea and/or Mint.

Laura, very nice bag of bootie from Shirley!!! And hang in their with your Mommy! It will all come together!! And no one will kill anyone...LOL! Keep us posted on all the wedding specifics!

Happy Evening!

Annie

• veeja11
    9 years ago

Hi all, good thoughts and healing hugs needed. baseball in right lung, knew I should have closed my mouth when going after those fly balls. fighting it with diet and herbs, might do biopsy in a month or so. Thankyou Sheri for the cheering card and especially the cheering chocolate. is chocolate a vegetable ?For future reference I have lived in spanaway wa for 10 yrs now so please update me. hugs to all my bloomin friends

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Laura-Wonderful you got your box...I was so worried the plants were dying in some post office or vehicle. We all love you and this wedding is going to happen and it will all be worth it. Will let you know when the box arrives.

Carol-Many prayers heading your way. Keep the faith and we love you Ms. Carol.

I will guess Ginger & Water Cress.

Shirley

• sguanzon
    9 years ago

How about rosemary or hops?

Sue G

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

My first two herb guesses, having been off line since yesterday morning, are:

Chamomile or Comfrey?

Mary E.

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

SUE G. GOT IT! HOPS!

This post was edited by Panhandle_Seed_Swap on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 9:53

• lilangel181
    9 years ago

Carol- *HUGS* You have all my healing thoughts and best wishes. If you're up to gardening, I still have plans to resend last month's box to you (even though you said not to worry)- just waiting till you're feeling better. The original found its way back home last week!

Sheri- LOVE that picture! I'm a sucker for old pictures :)

So heres the short story behind the wedding stress... Remember me saying we were planning a Memorial Day Weekend, interfaith wedding in Mike's Uncle's apple orchard? Well that entire plan has been scrapped against our wishes. Memorial weekend was chosen because the weeks before meant some of my cousins couldn't attend, and the week after my brother was in a wedding for his friend. We've been forced to scrap that weekend because its Shavout (a Jewish holiday that traditionally forbids marriage that day since it mixes a happy occasion with a sad holiday) and apparently thats a deal breaker for my parents. They are very graciously offering to pay for the whole thing on condition that it be a Jewish wedding ceremony, (so scrap the interfaith part) and we have agreed to a point. Mike and I found a wonderful Rabbi willing to work with us and customize the ceremony for our interfaith wishes, but my mom argues that interfaith, by definition, means it isn't a Jewish ceremony. We are holding our ground on this point. Oh, and because she has straight up forbidden a Shavout wedding (despite a willing Rabbi) we had to move our date back two weeks, missing any possibility of apple blossoms and making the orchard just a bunch of short trees that haven't quite leafed out! No idea what we'll choose instead...

I love my mother, I will not kill her...

EDIT: WE'VE REACHED A COMPROMISE!!! WOOHOO!! And also I bought shoes :)
    ~ Laura

This post was edited by lilangel181 on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 15:02

• smitties
    9 years ago

Laura, no wedding ever goes on without some kind of issue. LOL Believe me, I know as we have had three of our five married so far. Number 4 is getting married next September and the plans are going to start as soon as we rent the venue. Can't do so until September 1st as they won't accept reservations until a year before. After that, anything goes although little issues have already come up.

Sheri, thanks again for hosting this swap for us. You did a great job and I had fun.

Margo

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Margo, you're so kind. Thank you and you're very welcome. ;) I had fun. Now off to the FOTESS Members Yard Sale!!!

Sheri

• sguanzon
    9 years ago

I received prizes from Sheri today, two of THE cutest gnome pot stickers I love them!

Sue G

• flowergirl34
    9 years ago

Morning!

Laura, LOL! Margo is spot on. NO wedding ever goes off without little 'bumps in the road'. :) Yours will be beautiful!

Carol, it is SO GOOD to hear from you. I am sending you all my prayers for a speedy recovery. Please, when your feeling up to it, keep us posted on how your doing. MISSED HEARING FROM YOU!

Sheri, Thank you so much for hosting this! It was so much fun! I really enjoyed all the games and even...errr...borrowed one on the swap I'm hosting :D. THANKS!

Happy Friday!
    vina

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sue, I'm so glad you liked those cute little gnomes!

Vina, you're very welcome. Thank you!

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Sheri, thank you for the prize and seeds, I have some of them planted already.

love the picture of the little robin, great shot. Still trying to get my son to post photo of the squirrel, before and after, that we raised from six weeks old.

Mary E.

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Howdy y'all! Hope you've had a great growing season. It's that time of year when my kids are going back to school and I am smiling ear to ear. Tonight my hubby and I are going out for our 9 year anniversary. We haven't been out for a date in 2 years. I am really looking forward to tonight. We're going to go see some live music and dinner. Anyways, I came to check in on y'all and see if an August seed exchange was going on for OBF, but I don't see anything. I'll check back later. Have a wonderful weekend!!!

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Since we were talking about how many seed packets from Territorial, I want to mention how much I enjoyed Steve Solomon's book Growing Food When It Matters. Good book, he no longer owns Territorial. It changed the way I look at seeds.

Another good one is Plant Breeding for the Home Gardener, by Joseph Tychonievich. Your gardening will benefit, whether you breed or not, flowers or vegetables.

Read these in the long, cold winter. Mary E.

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Good morning ladies! I have sure missed some good swaps! I hope to post mine this afternoon!
    I actually forgot I was suppose to do this month! I'll try and think of a simple one for us all!
    Been a couple months of heartbreaking family issues, few health issues and lots of stress.
    My prayers and thoughts are with Carol and all who are having problems!
    Be looking as I will post after while. I had several ideas, but can't decide on one. I have several things have to do this month, so want to make it sweet and simple.
    Have a great day and Hugs to all, Melinda
    Shirley my black pussy willow has roots everywhere, the gray is still working on it. But I am thrilled! Thanks again!

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Melinda-Hello and welcome back...we miss you ladies when you are away. Can't wait to see what you have planned for August. Yeah on the pussy willows...The florist here in town has asked that I bring some each year to her shop when they are blooming and she will buy them from me. I need to do that for they are so beautiful. I have a pink one somewhere but can't remember where I planted it. Hopefully it will grow up and bloom and then I can say oh yeah I remember putting it there.

I received my box from Laura and this is what she sent:

Silky soft skin lotion
    Unbelievable assortment of tea-yum can't wait to try these
    Mahogany Midget Coreopsis ticonia seeds
    Moonlight Nasturtium seeds
    Edibles Squash Buttercup-seeds
    Rosea Verbina-seeds
    Tansy Purple-seeds
    Italian Flat Leaf Parsley-seeds
    Mint-Orange plant-I've been looking for this...thanks
    Edibles-Hardneck Garlic Cloves & Bubils

Thank You so much Laura...

Shirley

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Ladies please be in prayer for Melinda (ilovefarac) I just heard from her Daughter-In-Law that she was taken to the hospital this afternoon. She had chosen the month of August to host so she would like for someone else to host in her place. If you have another month and would like to swap with her that would be ok as well. I do hope she will keep us updated on her situation.

Melinda here's wishing you a speedy recovery and we will be praying for you.

Carol-Thinking of you today also. Hope you are doing well.

August - Melinda
    September - Jeanne
    October - Annie
    November - Maryanne
    December - Ruth

Shirley

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh Melinda! Praying for her this morning. Please keep us posted, Shirley.... thank you!

Sheri

• sandlapper_rose
    9 years ago

Sending get well wishes to Melinda. Thanks for letting us know, Shirley. I can't swap months because I won't be available for a least a week during August. If no one wants to volunteer, maybe the group could just take a break until September?
    Jeanne

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Shirley,

I sent you an email. I can take over the month, if needed.

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Jeanne-We can always take a break some month and especially if the need arises. Erica has stepped up and would like to take August so everyone who can please sign up. We had some of those cooler temps you posted about last week and it was wonderful. Short lived though as it was in the high 80's today.

Thanks Erica.

Shirley

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

Wishing you well Melinda =)

Jayeanne

• sguanzon
    9 years ago

Sheri your package is going out today. Finally rec'd the last item. It's no big deal but since I ordered it I wanted to include it! I'll email you the conf # later!

Sue G

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you sooooo much, Sue! I'll post pics as soon as I get it. :) Fun!

Sheri

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My wonderful package from Sue G. arrived today!!!

S - Star jasmine (I rushed to plant it!)
    U - Unusual Ladybug (this is so darn cute!!!)
    M - Mighty cute Pooh and Grumpy Pot hangers
    M - Motion sensing chirping bird ornament (I'm hoping this will scare the deer from my peas! It's cute, too.)
    E - Everyone likes Juicy Fruit Gum
    R - Ringing of the chimes Indian wind chime, lady bug wind chime and a dragonfly wind chime
    T - Toadstool Rain Gage I LOVE this, but USPS managed to break it. I don't have a rain gage and this is super-cute. The USPS is so darn rough with packages. :(

I - Illumination for a pot or? (solar light) My garden toads will love this.
    M - Mitt for the oven
    E - Everyone needs some plant food spikes. ALWAYS need these! :)

What a wonderful, extremely thoughtful package, Sue. You are so kind. Thank you so much!

Sheri

This post was edited by Panhandle_Seed_Swap on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 17:47

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Forgot to mention that Sue G. sent me a green spade as well! I'll use it in my potting soil bin. Thank you, Sue!

Sheri

• sguanzon
    9 years ago

Oh Sheri I'm so sorry about the rain gauge, I'll try to replace it!

Sue G

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No need to replace the rain gage, Sue. Your package was so generous. Thank you!!! :)

Sheri