Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hazelnutbunny

Sharing August Pictures

hazelnutbunny
15 years ago

A little early, I know...but the July thread has SO many gorgeous pictures, it's taking a while to load, and with only 3 days left in July, thought I'd get the August one going. :O)

Nothing much in my garden right now, since it's so hot.

Mexican Sunflower

{{gwi:1285315}}

Caladiums (received from Remy back in the spring!)

{{gwi:1285317}}

Comments (38)

• wynative
    15 years ago

I have a few in bloom even with this awful heat!
    I can't find the tags with names but I will show them off anyway...

Day Lily #1
    {{gwi:1285319}}

Moon Flower
    {{gwi:1285321}}

French Holly Hock
    {{gwi:1285323}}

Purple Rose
    {{gwi:1285327}}

And... What the _____ is this?
    {{gwi:1285329}}

I found it in my back yard on Sunday - it is about 3" around, shaped like a fried egg with that juicey red dot on top. The red dot dried out when I went to look at it a bit later though... It is kind of freaking me out as I have been seeing lots of Mommy sprider's with egg sacks out there and if this is anything like that they will be HUGE when they grow up and where is MOM & DAD????

This one I saw on my basket of red Petuna's about a week or so ago?? I love the color contrast...
    {{gwi:1285330}}

{{gwi:1285332}}
    Daylily #2
    Seems that all the daylilys that will bloom for me this year will be shades of orange....

Marie

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gorgeous flowers, Marie!!
    Ummmm....and your thingy-ma-jig!! It looks like a powered jelly donut!! LOL
    Whatever it is, don't touch it or it might eat your hand off!! (think Stephen King novel!!) ROFL!!!

Oh, and one of the roses you send in last months swap is already blooming!! And it's gorgeous! Or, at least...it WAS before those dang June Bugs started nibbling on it.

I've found a great use for those things, though (the june bugs...) You catch the big ones, and tie a piece of thread around their hind legs (about 2-3 ft long). They fly around while you're holding the "leash" and the kids love it! They've got their own buggy pets!! LOL

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

Oh Melissa! lol! I could never get myself to touch those Junebugs!! But it does sound like something my boys would really get a kick out of.

Karen (giggling)

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karen~ I can't stand to touch them, either! I have a thing against any crunchy bugs....ICKKKKK!!!! LOL So I con my 12 year old into holding them for me! I threaten him with extra broccoli for supper if he refuses!! :O)
    Actually, he's happy to do it. It gives his younger siblings something to occupy them for a few hours, so he gets a break! LOL

• wynative
    15 years ago

Melissa,

That is a great use for a June Bug. 7 weeks ago, the lady that does my nail's, was riding her brand new Harley and one hit her under her right eye... Well, she has to have a new paint job done on her bike, had road rash EVERYWHERE and her wrist is broke in 3 places! When I was small we would get horse flys and do that with them, LOL

Ditto on the 'crunchy bug' factor! ICKKKKK! EEWWWWW! AND JUST PLAN NASTY! When they get squished - I can hear their little bones break and can you say "loose my cookies!"

Yippy, a rose is blooming for you!
    Marie

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

OMG Marie, that had to hurt her! I've always thought of that with bikers, getting hit with a big bug! I've even worried about it happening to the dogs when they have their heads out the car window.

Umm....that plant/creature you got growing, EEEEK! I don't know if I would spray it with bug killer or weed killer, but I would prob have to poke at it with a stick to see if it moves!

Melissa, YUCK! I don't think I could even tie the string on one! LOL
    We have some type of poisonous spiders around here, so Jamie has Zack terrified of bugs, he screams if a fly comes around him! He won't even touch a worm! He (Jamie) goes a little over the deep end sometimes when he tries to warn the poor kid about something!

Beautiful flowers girls!

Vic

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Marie, I think that thing is looking at you!

All kinds of Ipomoea are thriving this season:

{{gwi:1285336}}

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Poison~ Can I have your permission to use the 3rd picture as the background for my desktop? That is gorgeous! Well, they all are...but I love the reds!! :O)

Marie~ Yikes! All that from a bug! Wowie, she is a lucky lady, though. My FIL had a motorcycle accident that very nearly killed him 2 years ago this July. He went through a barbed wire fence.
    I'm terrified of anything with 2 wheels...It's never IF you'll wreck, it's WHEN.
    Hubby just got a scooter last week, since gas is so expensive, and I worry constantly about him.

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    15 years ago

Melissa, I know what you mean. My hubby has an '08 Suzuki Hyabusa which is the fastest production street bike. His is for his mid-life crisis I guess. I worry so much,

Theresa

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, Theresa!!! YIKES!! I know about those bikes...Oh My Goodness, hubby coveted one of those for years, a buddy of his had one...but that buddy t-boned a truck, and ended up in the hospital for 4 months! Crushed his pelvis, broke his back...tons of other injuries. Wasn't his fault, the truck ran a red light...but that ended hubby's "need" for a fast bike. He still thinks it'd be tons of fun, but he settled for a scooter that tops out at 50mph. LOL Thinks that's PLENTY fast enough for a guy with 5.5 kids to worry about leaving behind! :O)

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Marie, I have been looking that weird blob up on the web and haven't found what it is for sure but I think it is a fungus so don't poke it! If you can dig around it and lift the whole thing out without breaking it open, then scoop it up into a garbage bag and get rid of it. If it is related to the fungus that I think it is then it will start to turn a dark color where the red is and then will develop a very, very, very bad odor. I'm still looking for some direct info.

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Marie,
    That white blob thing is strange looking! It reminds me of a white powdered donut with raspberry filling!

Deb

• galium
    15 years ago

Marie-Looks like you've got yourself some slime mold. The red area is the primitave "fruiting body" of the mold that has aged/broken down. Resembles bloody liquid.
    Yuck!!!
    Mariann

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Okay, I've got my pictures on photobucket finally. Now, how do I get them on here to share with everyone? Or, you could all just follow this link and see them there. http://s334.photobucket.com/albums/m421/dcwolfstar/My%20Garden/

Poison, those are great pictures!!! What kind of camera are you using to get those great close-ups?

-Dan

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello Mariann et al;
    Thanks for the info on the slime mold, I have never seen anything like that and hope never to.
    I am assuming that if you do not remove it, it can spread. what an awful thought.
    I do have some new pictures,

I guess I have not downloaded them yet.
    Tomorrow.
    diene

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Bunny, use whatever you like. It would be fun to have a photo from my garden in your home for a while.
    Dan, I am afraid I don't know much about cameras. The one I use is a Fuji 8.3 megapixel "finepix". It was not expensive and I think it is just dumb luck and my preference for detail revealing close-ups, that I get some good photos.
    We had an unexpected storm here yesterday-no damage for me, but this is my neighbor across the road's barn. I was home when the roof ripped off and the sound was indescribable: perhaps like Zeus and Hera screaming at each other. The debris field spread from the barn to just below my mailbox, about 400 feet.

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Poison, what an awful mess the storm made of your neighbor's barn. I hope everyone was safe and sound and not hurt. I'm glad your home wasn't hit too.

A few years ago a storm blew through a little south of here and tore out all lumber of the new riding arena my cousin was putting in at her place. They just got all the studs up and were getting ready to put the siding on. Looked like it exploded out from the center. Thank goodness for builders insurance.

Diene, you are lucky to have avoided the slime molds so far. A few years ago I had dog vomit slime mold in the gardens at out old house. Horrible stuff! Hard to get rid of once the spores release. The slime molds love the wood mulches. Blech!

• diene
    15 years ago

I decided to post these here rather than on the lily pages.
    I thank God that I live where we get cold nights so those creepy things cannot survive. Yuck!!
    diene

• galium
    15 years ago

diene-Your lilies are lovely!

poison-I would have been so scared. I see the damage around here but it's mostly trees coming down.

Don't have much new in my garden. This Stargazer lily I bought last year at an end of season sale. Really didn't think it would make it.

More pics please,
    Mariann

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

I guess I won't be posting any pictures daily in August since I have to drag out the old reliable Minolta. My digital died along with the microwave today, and I guess I will ask Santa for a new camera this year.

I need a micro before Santa time though. I guess we don't know how much we use it until they no longer work. I can't complain,we've had it for 6 years; the poor thing has done its job.

Keep the pictures coming I really enjoy looking at them.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

MATT

CHANTILLY PINK

ELIZABETH SALTER

SERENA DARK HORSE

WINTERSOWN GLORISA DAISY

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

About that first picture, if I had a mailbox I would try it as a microwave. For those of you that don't know, I get my mail at the P.O. My little town is small, and we have no house-to-house delivery.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

I am sooo envious once again of all of ya'lls flowers, can I cut and paste them ALL to my gardens??? Hmmm I really wish it were as easy as that!

It looks like we will finally be getting some rain here the first of this week with "Eduardo (sp)" coming this way, NOW if Katy Texas (expecially MY HOUSE) gets no good rain from this then we know that I am in Hades on earth!!! Ok just to clarify myself, I don't want the bad weather that goes with tropical storms but I DO WANT RAIN!!! I also want ALL of ya'lls beautiful flowers !

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The daisy's are BEAUTIFUL, Annie!! I love those, they're so unusual!

Some of you might have heard me ranting about the "remodeling" mess we've got right now...well, now we're into the building part, instead of the destruction part. YAY!
    This is what hubby got done last night (with alot of help from the kids, the boys layed some rock & the girls helped with the cement)
    This is turning out to be much more work than we'd bargained for. The previous owners (several years back) decided that a chimney would give the house a "cabin" feel, but they didn't want to hire a professional to do it...so they just slapped (literally! Look at the brickwork!!) some bricks onto the side of the house, and then on the inside, they just sheetrocked it. Used it for an entertainment center!! UGH!
    So we've got a leaky, ugly shell that we're having to repair before we can even get the stone in.

Anyway...this is the hearth of the fireplace, we've got a free standing stove we're putting in.

{{gwi:1285381}}

{{gwi:1285383}}

And here is a pretty Dahlia. The only flower besides a few roses that I've got blooming right now. :O)

{{gwi:1285385}}

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Bunny, I will be more than happy to share some seeds with you. I think I might have extra plants out there of it. If I do, I will send it along with your grass,and iris.

I love your dahlia, and I don't mind digging, that is the easy part, I have no luck with storing them.

Looks like you guys have your work cut out for with the chimney. I'm sure it will be nice when it is done.

Going out to check on those daisies, and I sure miss my camera and of course the microwave; DH and I are going tomorrow to buy one.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Diene, your lilies are beautiful!

Bunny, just keep thinking of the end result! It has to be frustrating! I hate remodeling.

Annie, I love that daisy!

Guess what?!? I have a flower pic to share!!!!
    I brought this with me and thought it was a clump of ditch lilies, this musta got mixed in with them some how!

We went on a camping/fishing trip in the mountains this weekend and it started out like this.....
    the thermostat went out on the pick up on the way up the mountain. I didn't take any other pics because it didn't get much better after that.
    The camp stove was broken (we use that to make coffee!) the little propane grill didnt' work right, the air matress has a leak and we didn't catch many fish!

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Vic~ Forgive me, but I'm giggling at your picture! :O) The line "How many men does it take to change a thermostat?" keeps going through my head! Answer: 3 - 1 to actually DO it, and 2 to point out what he's doing wrong.
    At least...that's the way it goes here! LOL

Sorry to hear about your weekend, though! I guess it wasn't as much fun as you'd hoped, huh? Especially without coffee!! AGH!!! :O(

But HEY! On the bright side....that's a perty "not-ditch" lily you've got there!!! :O)

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

LOL Melissa, and notice the tool box and the beer cooler both needed to be out to fix it too!

• wynative
    15 years ago

Vicky,

Beer... That is way fishing was invented, wasn't it? LOL

Love the comment on how many men... Melissa to funny!

As per the: 'Freaky thing in the back yard' I think mold is a great guess and it is doing the darkening thing. I found 3 other small ones that I will be removing in a plastic bag this evening!! I don't know why mold would be back there - I never water and it is bone dry....

Thanks for all the info!
    Marie

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

I GOT FLOWERS!!!!!!!!

MY HIBISUS FINALLY BLOOMED!! I NEVER EVEN KNEW WHAT COLOR IT WAS TILL NOW! : )

This is SUPPOSED to be August flame! Think it might be Ruffled Apricot?? I wonder if the tags got mixed up in the move? I did a trade with one of these as Ausust Flame! Now I need to remember who it was with! EEEK!

• wynative
    15 years ago

Vic,

Either way what a great color! Wonderful picture of you little Darlin', also :)

Marie

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Vic~ That peach color is gorgeous! I love how pointed the petals are, too. Hmmm...but I suddenly got an inexplicable craving for a creamsicle! LOL
    And your hibiscus is blooming! AH! I'm jealous! Mine has been teasing me for 2 years now! It's got a few buds right now, but it doesn't look as if it wants to bloom anytime soon. I think mine is supposed to be red...but it's been so long, I forget!! :O)

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Geesh! I haven't looked at this thread since it started and obviously haven't posted any pics either. I've been too busy!
    Anyway...
    Melissa,
    So good to see the caladiums are looking good especially in your hot weather!

Marie,
    Yuck to whatever that thing is! I love your malva. Mine are dinky this year and not blooming.

Alana,
    Is that the yellow ipomoea that I sent you?! Looks great, well they all do!

Diene,
    I love the lilies!

Annie,
    That SERENA DARK HORSE is very striking. Your wintersown gloriosas have done very well!

Vic,
    Your hibiscus was worth the wait!

Ok, a few from me.
    Fulva rosea. This is the "pink" version of a ditch lily. It is where the pink coloring in daylilies originally came from. I've found it hard to catch the pinkiness of it in photos, but I finally got a pic.
    {{gwi:646879}}

Blueberry Breakfast, I'm so glad I bought this one.
    {{gwi:649923}}

Black Beauty, an old lily cultivar, but I think still one of the best.

Remy

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Remy, those are pretty! I didn't know there WAS a pink ditch lily! :O) Of course...up until 2 years ago, I didn't even know daylilies came in colors other than orange! lol

Here is one I"m excited about! My very first CANNA!! Yay! :O) Actually, this would be hubby's first canna, I suppose...since he was the one that wanted to grow them & I traded for them for HIM last year..LOL
    Either way, we had it labeled as red, but it's a gorgeous peach/orange color instead. Still pretty, and I"m glad he talked me into growing them!

{{gwi:1285392}}

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Remy, beautiful flowers. I wonder if my yellow DL could be a yellow fulva???

Bunny, I love cannas but never have good luck with them.

I still haven't found out what my peach DL is but I like it. My other August Flames are getting ready to bloom and look like they will be red, must have gotten the peach mixed in with them? Most of my others the bunnies got : (

Vic
    sorry the above pics were so big, I THOUGHT I made them smaller!

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

I had not looked in lately and I missed some great plants, especially the lilies!
    The daylilies are great too. SDH is really striking.
    Bunny, I love Cannas too. That one is a great color!
    Remy, I had to go back and look, but yes, you did send me the yellow MG and I love it!
    Need more pictures!
    Alana

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Well this is the only thing I have blooming besides a Tropical White Canna.

My little Rain Lilies:

Close up, little blurr, my camera is old:

Vic I LOVE that hibiscus...you wouldn't want to trade some seeds now would you...hehe...lol.

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Fran, love the rain lilies
    Funny, I was just checking today to see if there were any seed pods! The flowers were blooming one at a time and weren't making pods, but know I have more blooming at a time AND so far one pod!! Yeah!!
    I also have this one too, that I'm hoping to get seeds from! Of course the critters are eating this too : (
    I will keep you in mind, but ya know you're gonna have to remind me!! LOL

Zack and I found this little guy last week