Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaruzicka

new: new:: seed-n-stitch august's wild and crazy charms

lindaruzicka
11 years ago

This month we're going to do something simple. I figure with school shopping, end of the season gardening and just plain life, we're going to slow down. SOOOOOOO.....in preparation for Dan's swap in September, we're going to do 5 inch charms..BUT..they have to be wild, fun and crazy..something in your stash that you been saving just because you haven't the foggiest idea what to do with it! You can use up to 2 of the same kind of material for the 10 charms. You can have up to 3 partners...rules are as follows:

Mail date by August 18th

You must be a member of good standing

You can have up to three partners

10 wild and crazy charms per partners

You can have 2 kinds of the same material

This is fun, simple and easy, who could ask for more???

"putting out cold lemonade and cookies on the veranda and kicking off my shoes"

Comments (51)

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

I'll sign up to do just one swap if it isn't too confusing to have someone in the mix just do a swap with one person. Sounds like fun!
    I'm going to be making an I Spy quilt for my triplet grandsons so maybe something I receive will work out so it can be included in their quilt. (They are only a year and a half old, so I am not including anything too complicated or terrifying though... LOL. Dogs, cat, bears, baseball, camping tent, anything like that will be great, but if you don't have something like that, totally fine. I will be curious to see what shows up!)

Jeanne

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

okay so far we have:
    Linda 3 partners
    Dan 3 partners
    Jeanne 1 partner

"passing around fresh chocolate chip cookies"

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

I will be sitting out this swap as I don't have any "crazy fabric in my stash at the moment and trying to work from my stash right now. I did complete my Grandma's queen-size quilt top that I used my 2011 Seeds-N-Stitches garden-themed swap blocks in and you can view it on the Quilting Forum at the link below. Thank you all who made blocks for her quilt!

Best to you and many thanks,
    Sandra

Here is a link that might be useful: My S-N-S Quilt for my Grandma

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm sorry you're not joining us Sandra...make sure you stop by though! "pouring more lemonade"

• hazelnutbunny
    11 years ago

Sign me up and toss me a cookie! :) And I'll go with either 3 or 1....whichever makes it easiest for you, Miss Linda!

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

***tossing cookies at Melissa***

Sandra, really? You're sitting out on this one? Remember, one person's crazy is another person's sane. For instance, just look at Linda. She honestly believes that she's completely sane, when we all know better, right?
    I'll bet you've got some great stuff in that stash of yours. How about something silly? strange? weird? Okay, that's right, now I'm talking about myself...lol!!! C'mon, you know you want to join in on the fun/mayhem.

• hazelnutbunny
    11 years ago

*rubbing the bump on my head*
    OW! Dan, you've been baking the cookies again, haven't you? Ah, well...they can double as paving stones....I've always wanted a patio over yonder......*loading up wheelbarrow*

Sandra, crazy could just mean electric blue, pink & gold swirls, dancing ladybugs, tootsie rolls, rainbow polka dots, purple hippos, multi-color batiks....anything! So join in if you can. I'm not sure why Dan is convinced Linda's not sane...I think she's perfectly fine.
    *fluffing up Linda's purple tutu & handing her her magic pixie wand*
    He's probably just jealous because the pink unicorn only dances with her, and not him. *sigh*
    There's no explaining some people... :D

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

I know why Linda is a little crazy lately with kids moving back in the house, but hopefully she will get some rest soon once the move-in is complete. Ok you enablers, I'll play this month, I found some charms that are kind of crazy that I was saving for Depression blocks that I got from some of our 2011 swaps and yes LOL some came from Dan, :-) imagine that. Was that why you knew I had something crazy in my stash Dan, because you remembered what you had sent me last year? :-) So sign me up to mail to 2 people Linda as I have just enough stamps to mail things without having to go to the post office which is good as I need to be here taking care of DH since he just had surgery. But really most of my stash is a nice, tame garden of florals these days. Ok I need to get offline and go work on my Grandma's quilt as I am trying to stick to a schedule of getting 1 block done per day, in hopes that I will have time before Christmas to do some decorative stitching on Grandma's quilt - but first things first gotta' get all the structural hand-quilting done. I hope ya'll all have a wonderful afternoon and a good, relaxing weekend!!! :-)

Best to you and hugs,
    Sandra

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

okay so far we have:

Linda 3 partners
    Dan 3 partners
    Jeanne 1 partner
    Melissa 3 partners
    Sandra 2 partners

I'm glad yo changed your mind sandra! Right now I'm not so much insane as utterly exhausted!.."yawning"..I taking booth Sunday and MOnday off as a mental health day

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

when Linda says "exhausted", she really means "sedated". we have to do that to her at least once a day. otherwise she'd start eating the padding off the walls...

***batting eyelashes and looking innocent***
    Sandra, I'm glad you decided to play! I actually don't remember what I've sent to who, but that's okay! (at least, that's what my therapist says and I agree and so do I)

Melissa, just so you know, I really favor the black unicorn, she's purdy!

• hazelnutbunny
    11 years ago

Just remember, Dan....never EVER play leap frog with a unicorn! *nodding sagely*

• gmom2-6boys
    11 years ago

Just found some great material for this swap. I'm in.
    I'll be back in 4-5 days if the weather doesn't turn bad.
    Have a great week everybody.
    gmom
    Sharon

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"OUCH"..just saying
    glad to have you join us Sharon!!

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

I can honestly say I've never played leapfrog with a unicorn, ever. However, when I was a child, I rode the back of a pegasus occasionally, thanks to Madeliene L'Engle.

• gmom2-6boys
    11 years ago

I'm back. Had a wonderful time and great weather.
    I forgot to tell how many I want to trade. Put me down for 3 or what ever you need to fill in.
    Sharon
    gmom

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Morning everyone!! "sipping tea while watching birds at the bird feeder" So here are the partners:

Linda sends to Dan, Melissa and Sharon
    Dan sends to Linda, Sharon and Melissa
    Jeanne sends to Sharon
    Melissa sends to Sandra, Dan and Linda
    Sandra sends to Jeanne and Linda
    Sharon sends to Dan and Melissa

Sharon, I only set you up with 2 to balance things up since you volunteered to fill in. Thanks!!

So everyone, dig in your stashes and see what you have! "passing out tea, coffee and warm chocolate chip cookies"

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

Sharon,
    Please send me your mailing information by e-mail so I can be sure it's right.
    Thanks so much.
    Looking forward to this swap!
    Jeanne

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Linda, you've got Sharon sending to 2 people, but receiving from 3 people. Also, you've got Sandra sending to 2 people, but only receiving from 1 person. I hope you don't mind, but here's the revised list, with everyone sending to the same amount of people they're receiving from.

Linda sends to Dan, Melissa and Sharon

Dan sends to Linda, Sharon and Melissa

Jeanne sends to Sharon

Melissa sends to Sandra, Dan and Linda

Sandra sends to Jeanne and Linda

Sharon sends to Dan, Sandra and Melissa

Would someone please take a minute and double-check my list? Thank you!

(apparently Linda's been hitting the bottle a bit more than usual lately... way to go Linda!)

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Thanks Dan was wondering when someone was going to catch that. I will try to mail to my partners on Monday. Have a great weekend!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"sigh"....no excuse except too much stress and not enough time..thank you Dan!

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

you've got stress Linda? aw, c'mon, you're kidding, right? lol, you are more than welcome.

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

That's ok Linda, we know your life is in transition right now, hope you get some rest soon. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• hazelnutbunny
    11 years ago

Yay, partners! :)
    Sandra, would you please email me your addy? I'm not sure I have it...I probably do, but not sure where. Does that make sense? LoL!
    I lost my marbles somewhere along the way, too...UGH... :P

Anywhooooo....I still haven't cut my charms, so I'll do that tomorrow and have these things sent out by Tuesday. Unless I get distracted by unicorns, magic markers and popsicles again.

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Ok Melissa, I'll email it to you on FB.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

what a day it's been. we had to turn the water off in the house saturday afternoon because the washer in the hot water knob for the tub had disintegrated, so it's not been one of my ideal weekends. however, my brother-in-law is a plumber, so he could come over this afternoon and fix it. my little family just had to do some in-house camping in the meantime. anywho, b-i-l was due at 3:30. at the post office, we found ourselves pasted to the walls with the mail. monthly fliers, political crap, and more catalogs than we've seen in weeks suddenly hit, and it all had to go. so, instead of leaving the office for my route at the normal 9:30-10am time, it was 11:30 when i left. and of course, i had to deliver an express package, due by noon. i made it with 10 minutes to spare. then it was time to deliver 4.5 hours worth of mail in 3 hours. i made it home at about 3:15, so that was good, but it's now 3 hours and 2 vicadin later, and i'm still in that coming home zone. it only took just shy of an hour to get the bathroom fixed and the water back on, so that was good. then, sorting through the mail, i come across a letter from a lawyer. thinking all sorts of doom-and-despair thoughts, i found a check, yes, i said check, for $263, don't know why, don't know how, but i'm cashing that sucker tomorrow after work. so now, here i sit at my computer having had a wonderful dinner of grilled chicken, trying to absorb a day of so many ups and downs i feel like a badly used rubber band. but, at the end of the day, i have water, the mail has been delivered, my little family has shelter and food, i've received an unexpected check in the mail, and the evening is going well.

i think i'll just sit here and breathe for awhile.

dan

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I spent 8 hours in the doctor's office yesterday while my mother in law had skin cancer removed from her nose. The spot that showed was about the size of a small eraser but he had to remove an area that was almost the whole one size of her nose! she ended up with 18 stitches and a skin graft BUT he got it all, thank God! Please, if you have something on your skin that looks odd, get it looked at. This looked like a small red pimple that wouldn't go away.

• hazelnutbunny
    11 years ago

Hope you've been able to relax a bit, Dan! I got exhausted just reading your post!

Linda, thanks for the reminder! Hubby has tons of freckles & moles, it seems he's always getting new ones. I have him go in every 2 years to get them checked, and he's due for another checkup.
    He had the oddest thing happen this winter...he had a sore on the inside of his nose that just wouldn't go away. It kept getting bigger, then the entire end of his nose turned beet red & dark purple...swelled up something horrible! And so painful, he couldn't touch it without crying. The DR he went to said "Oh, just use neosporin on it, it'll be fine." Well, that didn't work. So one day I was looking at it, and noticed that there was a small dot in the middle of the swollen part (on the outside!) so I started picking at it (I know, eewww!). But that dot started getting bigger...and I noticed what looked like a hair stuck to it. Well, I pulled that hair..and pulled...and pulled...it was a 1" hair! I'm guessing it got ingrown on the inside, and just gradually worked it's way to the outside! The pain went away almost immediately after I pulled that hair out, and the swelling/redness was gone within a few days.
    It was so strange! It took about 6 months from the first little sore on the inside to the time I pulled the hair.

Well....THAT was a wild tangent, huh? :)
    Oh, yeah...and I mailed my charms on Monday, so y'all should be getting them soon.
    Hugs & Squishes!

• bev2009
    11 years ago

It's all Dan's fault actually.......

It all began when I had an extra few moments a couple of weeks ago and decided to sit down and watch a video. Dan had given me a quilting video in our Christmas exchange last December, and I finally got around to watching it. (Love it, Dan, thanks!) One of the sections was a demo on English paper piecing. I knew of the concept, but not the particulars. The demonstrator said she took it everywhere she knew she would a few extra minutes to work on it. She called hers a memory quilt because it would take her so long to do and would encompass many trips and memories. Since I was leaving in a week for a road trip I thought, "Why not?" So I raided my meager stash, cut it up into 3" pieces while I waited for my paper patterns to arrive from Paper Pieces. They arrived in plenty of time and I was ready to go. Here is a picture of what I made while driving in the car and in the hotel watching the Olympics.

I've since made six more flowers. I'm going to name it "See the USA" since we rented a Chevy for the trip. (Let me know if you are too young to get the reference.LOL) On the label I am also going to list all the states where I have worked on it. It will probably take me five years to finish (at least) but by then my comforter will probably be shot and I can use it on my bed. :)

I used yellow in the center of all the flowers to tie it together, but I have to figure out what I am going to do for the next group of petals. I was thinking the same light for the dark one and the same dark for the light ones, but I'll look at a lot more on the net before I decide. Plus I probably have at least a year to finish all the small size of flowers. I have no idea how many I will need yet.

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

I am withdrawing from the swap. I have already mailed to my partners and hope you both enjoy the charms that I sent. People who are suppose to mail to me for this swap need not do so as I am not going to participate in this swap. Have a great week!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Bev, you can blame me all you want! Those flowers look great, and I think that's a neat idea you have of making them while travelling and eventually putting them all into one quilt.

Linda, what a way to spend the day! But, like you said, they got all the cancer, so that's a good thing! I hope your m-i-l takes precautions so it doesn't happen again. My father has had skin cancer removed a few times because he refuses to wear a hat and long sleeves while working outside in the sun, but he's pretty healthy otherwise, so that's a good thing. Sometimes it's difficult to raise your parents, y'know?

My ups and downs are still going on, but I've only got 3 more days to work before getting 2 days to rest, so I'm hanging in there. Bump keeps telling me to take a nap and do a little purring, but I don't know. Sometimes when he's fast asleep Stella will jump on him to scare/awaken him, and she doesn't always pull her claws in all the way, so I think I'll just keep plugging along. When I come home from work I'm trying to relax in any way I can and destress as much as possible, and it helps a little, but it'll be nice when those days off get here. I haven't even sorted out my charms yet, but I'm thinking that might be a fun thing to do tonight. We'll see how it goes.

Have a good night everyone!
    Dan

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

Those flowers are so cute! Many ladies in my guild work on the hexagons, but I haven't gotten into it - I don't know whether to add "yet" or not. I really don't like to do much sewing by hand so it may not be my thing, but I love how they look!

I haven't mailed yet, but it is on my list and I will send out by the deadline and post here when I mail. Sorry to be slow. This whole eye surgery thing has me running behind.

Have a good evening, everyone!
    Jeanne

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Good Evening Everyone! I wasn't able to get my charms ready last night, but they are in their envies and ready to take flight tomorrow.

For September, we're going to trade crazy-quilted blocks like we did last month. Those were so much fun, and easy to do!
    For October, I'm not sure what to do with our little group here. I need some help from y'all. I'd like to do something Halloween-oriented, and I was thinking we could trade haunted house blocks, embellished however you wish. What do you think? We can each use whichever house pattern we choose, but create the house from dark, dreary, gloomy material, giving it that "haunted" look. Each block would be an unfinished 12.5"x12.5" like usual, and we could either use them in house quilts, or as wallhangings.
    Another idea would be to trade blocks sewn from pumpkin patterns. I've found a few online, and will post those sites if we go this way.
    So, which idea do you prefer? Or, do you have another halloweeny idea we could use? Post your responses here, will you? Thanks!

Dan

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

I received my charms from Sandra. Thanks so much!

Sharon, my blocks to you are all packed up. I don't plan to go into town today though so they will go out tomorrow. Luckily we have a shop called Wild Birds Unlimited that has one of the mini-post offices in it so if I have to mail after regular Saturday post office hours, I can. Our Saturday hours at the regular post office are pretty limited. Anyway, it will soon be on its way! The issue with today is our town traffic is horrific on Fridays. We try to stay out of the mess if we can. Every time I forget and head into town to do something on Friday, I think to myself, "Why did I do this?!!!"

Jeanne

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

I received a mixed-up bunch of great charms from Melissa today! She sent them in an envelope which looked like it had been quilted, I even checked the envie to see if it was or not.
    Melissa, I think the charms are great, and thought that envelope was absolutely fantastic! As soon as I saw it in my mailbox I thought to myself "that's from Melissa" ...lol! Bump helped me open it up and "chose" a few he liked by putting his paw of approval on them. Now I guess I'll have to make him a quilt to sleep with. He's not spoiled at all, is he? Of course, when Stella sees Bump with a quilt, she'll either steal it or demand one of her own, so I'll have to make two.
    THANK YOU MELISSA!!!
    -Dan

• hazelnutbunny
    11 years ago

You're welcome, Dan! I know some of those charms are downright ugly, at least in my opinion! LoL! But I saw someone on the quilt forum make an ugly quilt and it turned out great! So maybe that's an idea....ugly quilt blocks. Hmmmmm.... :P

I like the pumpkin block idea, personally. That would lend itself to a fall themed quilt really well...with some maple leaf blocks. It would be really pretty!
    Of course, the haunted house crazy blocks would be neat, too! Oh, and the cat blocks we made last year.
    Ok, I can see I've been no help whatsoever. Sorry! LoL!
    But they are all fun ideas, so whichever you decide on, Dan, will be great!

• hazelnutbunny
    11 years ago

I was charmed by Dan today! Yay! A great collection of various prints...some florals, some stripes, even some birds! All are great and I actually have a project that I"m starting on that a couple are perfect for!
    Thanks, Dan! :)

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was charmed by Melissa..a cool batch of charms that will be definately used in the near future..thank you Melissa!

• gmom2-6boys
    11 years ago

I was charmed by Dan on Saturday. Thank You Dan. Nice group of charms. Don't know when they will be used but someday. Also charmed by Jeanne today and this is another good selection of charms. Thank You Jeanne! Also sending you an email.

As for the things in the next 2 months, I am not going to vote because I will not be here. I will be on another trip out East. I will be checking in from time to time.

Dan, Melissa, and Sandra Your charms are in the mail.

Have a great nite.
    Sharon

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My charms to Sharon, Melissa and Dan are in the mail. Dan's charms arrived and will be put to good use..quite a variety!

I will update once everyone's gets to there they need to go!

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

Sharon sent me an e-mail message that she received my charms.
    Hope everyone is doing well.
    Jeanne

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

I'm glad to know my charms made it to you all!

Sharon, we'll miss you. Have yourself a safe fun trip, and check in when you can.

Dan

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

the september swap has been posted...

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Sharon, your envie arrived today, thank you!!! I love the variety, and that extra material will not go to waste, I promise you that!
    Have yourself a great trip!
    Dan

• hazelnutbunny
    11 years ago

I was charmed by Linda & Sharon today! A great collection of florals & other fun prints, I love them!
    Thank you, Ladies!! :)

• gmom2-6boys
    11 years ago

Linda, Sorry about you charms but they got sent to Sandra. She pulled out after we were partnered so I also make mistakes. After looking at the plan you are in need of some charms. I will get them ready so I can send out when I go to town.
    Sharon
    gmom

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

no problem Sharon!

• gmom2-6boys
    11 years ago

Linda, Your charms will go out tomorrow from the PO. I forgot to put the note in before I taped it up. Please send me you correct addy. I seem to have something different from what is on the evenlope.

Sandra, You keep the charms I sent to you by mistake. Call it a Suprise treat.

Last night I had a CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE IN A CUP. Has anyone done this. What a great idea if you don't want sweets sitting around the house. Didn't taste bad.

Have a great day.
    gmom

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sharon, I have two addies..either one will get there

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sharon, I received your charms today, thank you. I can definately use them!

thank everyone for participating in this swap! I now deem it closed..."banging gavel"

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

just a few more days to sign up for the september edition of seeds-n-stitches...