Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hazelnutbunny

UPDATE: Make New Friends: Mirth in the Manure Pile #3

hazelnutbunny
16 years ago

ONCE AGAIN!!!!

The other thread is getting to the 150 mark, so I am starting this new one. I am copying the rules of the swap over to this post, to make it a little easier for everyone.

MUST EITHER BE A NEWBIE OR AN OLDIE TO JOIN!! :O)

To make this fun for EVERYONE, There are a few basic rules for this swap.

1) Per GW rules: To swap, You MUST be 18 or celebrating an anniversary of that year (ie: the 15th anniversary of your 18th birthday).

2) There MUST be a minimum of 5 different PLANT items exchanged, more is GREAT, and entirely up to you, but PLEASE no less...it's not fair for everyone else! And I CANNOT supplement boxes. If possible, try to keep with the theme and include some plants with silly or happy names (gay feathers, dancing queen, tunnel of love..etc)

3) Any seeds are considered EXTRAS.

4) All boxes must be sent PRIORITY (due to the heat) and must have delivery confirmation. (You can send a flat-rate priority box w/dc for under $10)

5) And this is the most IMPORTANT RULE OF ALL!

EVERY box MUST contain one goofy, off the wall, zany, good for nothing else but a good laugh item.

Remember those pet rocks? How about neon orange socks? Ever hear of a singing toothbrush?? It can even be just a silly joke, story or picture. Nothing big, but it DOES have to produce a chuckle.

6)Sign ups start NOW and this swap will be open until July 15th, when partners will be assigned. Boxes should be mailed out by August 1st.

Comments (150)

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nuthatch - Okay, I need to know...How are you with cuttings? I've got a few that I'd like to send you...but if you'd rather not mess with cuttings, that's OK! :O)
    Also, let me know if you there's anything you absolutely dislike........ :O)

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

Loving the photos!
    Tracyvine, anything you wising for? Might find you something while I'm in Hippiegene OR. Do you need all ORGANIC anything? It seems everything out there is ORGANIC!No meat,no soda,no car!We will bike or walk most places.Should come back 10 pounds lighter & might have dreadlocks(would really like to have but hubby would leave) LOL!Someone drink a Mt. Dew for me while I'm gone.
    OK back to packing the bags.Its gonna take two days to do it all.Will check in on my next packing break.Later.....

• rockyridge
    16 years ago

Melanie,

That sounds great to me.....but how about a trade instead of postage? Do you want plants or to wait for seed this fall? e-mail me.

Rox

• chrystallake_2007
    16 years ago

Sure we can do a trade lets wait until this swap is done, and I am sure I can probley find you something you might want.
    Melanie

• laurieanngarris
    16 years ago

Geez....you guys are so lucky to have passies around. I have had a time finding them, and they are my favorite flower. We'll see how these do.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Medont: Isn't that cool that those get so big? The site I found said they grow 3-5 feet and need a four foot spread. They like it wet. Typically grow in marshey areas, creek beds and the like.

Dirt: LoL, anything organic... hmmm, I think I would die in oregon! No meat, I am fainting at the thought. How will you survive? If you come back with dreads then I want pictures of you so I can cut and paste onto nuthatch's tree man! LOL! You send me anything you like! Organic, unorganic, whatever. I love anything that blooms. I am getting into blues right now. Just got a multi blue clem. It is supposed to be really blue, we'll see. I love butterfly and hummer plants too. Really, anything that strikes your fancy is great with me. Sun or shade! Doesn't matter. Finished planting in the shade bed but there is room to add, I will be adding a new sun bed that I will be sticking some daylilies in. I only have a few of those.

I was checking out your wish list and have gotten some good ideas (I think?). Is there anything that isn't on there that I should know about? Any secret desires????? Any special projects you're working on in the garden? Any "NOOOOOO! Don't send me that!" kind of thing???

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

Tracy,No secrets here.Prefer sun lovers,but other than that I'm EASY!! We just moved in here & have 4 acres,but the shady areas are still pretty wild.Trying to tame the yard first.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Got it! I have plenty of sun lovers for ya! I had the same deal here, this was the first year that I attacked the shade areas. Daunting. We had so much overgrown junk in them I didn't know where to start so I had the hubby bring home the digger to tear it all up. Clean slate and a lot of dirt later it finally looks like something.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

omg!!! i want some passiflora seeds!! and how about when your multi colored clem seeds? can i tracey?? please?? i decided that i'm gonna plant some kinda bushy stuff around his naked ladie plant, LOL he said no, ruin his plant!! LOL vela, your flowers are so pretty!! my bottom 2 flower buds on my one glads look like they are gonna bloom!! yay!! can't wait!! LOL tabor is still zipped with that evil grin! LOL he said no heart attack. LOL have a great night all!!

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Medont: I just got the clem plant in a trade. The multi-blue is an all blue flower with multiple petals. Right now it just came out of the box and into the ground and only has 2 little pieces of old wood. It will get some vines growing soon but I doubt I will get flowers or seeds this year. Maybe it will, but I doubt it. No matter what, if and when I get seeds from it I will send them to you straight away! OMG, UM... did you just say you were going to plant some bushy stuff around his "NL's"???? ROFLOL! I'm a sicko! This forum has warped me!!!!

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

{{gwi:1285560}}

With any luck this is what it will look like when it is all grown up. We'll see. I copied this off of another website.

• chrystallake_2007
    16 years ago

Medon't those naked ladies "spread" like crazy...LOL you may want to rethink the bushy part....OMG

• galium
    16 years ago

HNB-will you be starting a new thread for the swap? I'm sending my box out today.
    Mariann

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Girls..girls...girls.....Alright, no more talking about spreading naked ladies and bushes.

For shame.

Next thing you know, you'll be wanting a nice big hoseus sprayflorelus in the middle of your bush.

Geeze.

• nuthatch_mo
    16 years ago

HNB-I have never done any cuttings before. I don't need anymore Ditch Lilies have plenty and Coneflowers too, unless its the red one, really want that one. Other than that I can't think of anything I wouldn't like.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

I'm closing my eyes, can't get the image out of my head. Oh, Boy. Thanks HNB. You get me every time! Chuckle, chuckle, chuckle. It is medont's fault. She started it. I just couldn't help pointing it out. Do I sound like an 11 year old or what?

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

From the sounds of it ,we need to use the famous
    'GOLDEN TOLIET BRUSH'to clean our minds. HA HA HA HA

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Dirt: That is a fantastic idea! I could use a good swish with the Golden Toilet Brush!! My mind has turned to mush!!

I found this little gem growing in my front flower bed yesterday morning. I posted on the daylily forum for an id. Does anyone here know what it is? It is only about 2 feet tall. The bloom is maybe 3 1/2". Any thoughts?

{{gwi:848755}}

• chrystallake_2007
    16 years ago

Hey...the golden brush is mine...mine...mine I called it first.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Fine, it's yours. Just drive over here and slap me with it! I need it.

Help me with my daylily! What is it or tell me where/how to look. I have been looking up sites but there are just too many of them. It has gone nearly completely quiet over at the daylily forum. It must be Monday. Nobody is functional! LOL!

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

If I had known you all liked passion vines I would not have knocked them all down with the weed eater. I wonder if we all have different kinds? The ones here are not invasive but they do grow wild at the upper edge of the main vegetable garden and we usually leave one or two plants for the fruit in the fall, which my mother really likes. This is not my photo, but this looks like the one that grows wild here.

I have resisted engaging in Medo's discussion, but I have to show you my Hairy Balls(Gomphocarpus). Good companion plant?
    {{gwi:352632}}

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Tracyvine have you tried doing a custom search on Tinker's? If not try tinkersgardens.com and do a customsearch by size, etc.

• chrystallake_2007
    16 years ago

Poison, Nancy and I have "hairy Balls" lol but they have not grown any balls yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LMAO Your balls look big

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LMAO....Hairy balls....SHEESH!!!!

You girls don't quit, do ya???

Oh geeze. We are SO gonna get in trouble. :O)

Behave, ladies!!

Or I shall thump you over the head with my Royal Golden Plunger. (went with the golden toilet brush, but my brother refused to take it. Go figure.)

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

ROFLMAO!!!!! Hairy Balls???!!! GAWD HELP US!!

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh Nuttttttthatcccchhhhhh!!!!!!! Your box should be on it's way tomorrow.
    I hope you like everything I picked out for you.
    And sorry....No golden toilet brush. I tried to find one, honestly I did...but for some reason, they just don't seem to make 'em any more. :O(
    Ah well... You'll get something almost as fun. Maybe. :O)
    I will post the DC # tomorrow morning.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

OH MAN! POISON!!!! WOW! WHAT huge hairy _ _ _ _ _ you have!!! ROFLOL! Thank you for the tip! ... on the daylily search stuff I mean! I will check out tinkers, I may have been there already, but am not sure, been to too many sites already! My head is full of daylily images.

HNB: Don't hurt us! Please???

• chrystallake_2007
    16 years ago

When some opens a statement like that it sure is hard...hehe.. get it.. hard.. not to send a reply.

OOPS--sorry Did I just say that???

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Chrystallake & Tracy.... I now thump you with my golden plunger.....

:::: BOINK BOINK :::::

Um..I mean.. BONK.

Yeah...that's what I meant.

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

ladies I blew $25 on a passie starter that was 3 feet tall in a gallon bucket back in '03 at the nursery out here, lots of people sell seeds and rooted cuttings on EBay. Personally I like the flowers for my red hair, but that's just me.
    Silly question: I know bulbs count as "1" plant, but each color of daylilly counts as "1" correct (i.e. 1 red, 1 yellow etc?)

And for goodness sake froggy, shave those things girl.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

I stopped! I swear!!! Don't make me steal that plunger out of your hands and bo(i)nk you with it!!!

Alright girls, I have a neighbor problem. We have a vacant property that we own in Cleveland. There is only a garage on the property and the next door neighbor is complaining because a ground hog has moved in under the garden on her side of the garage. She is blaming us for it. We maintain the property, cut the grass, edge etc, etc, etc. She claims the dang thing ate her daisy blooms. I'm pretty sure that they aren't quite tall enough to eat the heads off of daisies. She says if my husband doesn't get over there and take care of that thing she is going to call the city on us! What is a person supposed to do to actually get rid of the little critter? Even though I know it did not eat her frickin daisy heads! I'm getting steamed at her. She calls all the time and yells at me. I'm about ready to change my phone number. PS, we let her daughter park her car in our garage in the winter for nothing, she just got married and moved out and ever since the mom has gone bonkers on us.

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

fishy, I think if you sent 5 different daylilies that would count as 5 plants.But maybe thats just me. When they said bulbs I think they might of meant like tulip,daffs,or crocus. That's just my 2 cents though.What does everyone else think?

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

I think I am safe in saying that dirt is correct. Each distinct daylily plant counts as 1.

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, as long as they are different..different names, varieties, that sort of thing. Just don't send 5 of the same plant. That would only be ONE trade. :O)

• chrystallake_2007
    16 years ago

Those dam grounds can eat anything in site. If it is on your property it is your problem. Call thr animal control..and get them to trap it. They will come to get it.

We had the same problem once, as much as it is a pain.
    Mel

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Oh, you girls are so bad!!!

We are finally done with the big day! My sister was absolutely beautiful, and it was a very moving ceremony! As she came to the door to walk down the aisle, her husband to be started crying, and then she started crying, and then we all started crying. As they are both near 30, and it is their first marriage, it was a day they had both waited for for so long! I wish I had pictures, but I was so busy with everything, I didn't take any pictures until the dance part of the reception! Shame on me! I did however take some pictures of the cake after I set it up (this is my first time to try to post pictures, so if it doesn't work, sorry!):

I took some photos of my flowers today, but I want to see if I post correctly, so I'll put them in my next post!

Poison - please let me know some of the things you would like. I looked at your want list, and didn't really see anything on there that I have. My package probably won't be sent out until close to the deadline, as I want to give some things more time before I try to send them!

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Oh, good! That worked! How exciting to know how to do that! Okay, so here are some of my flowers:

Zinnia - Candy Stripe

Cosmic Orange Cosmos

Gerbera Daisy

Reseeded Snapdragon

Rose I've had for a long time, and have no idea of the name!

Scalet Starlet Marigold

Zinnia Purity

Coral Nymph Salvia

Impatiens

Pink

I think these are false dragonhead, but if I'm wrong, someone please correct me!

Zinnia - Enchantress

{{gwi:31623}}

Okay, I don't know my pests and problems very well, so can someone tell me what is wrong with my Peony, and what I need to do to it?

Wow - this is fun! You can believe I'll be posting more!!

Rebecca

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

Great, I was a good girl and wrote down names & locations when I planted them out. I just wanted to be sure (it's finals week and my brain is mostly scrambled and soaked in caffine these days).

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Beckilove,
    Your cake is too cute! I love it!

Peonies are prone to a couple of bacterial diseases and botrytis. Improving drainage and air circulation might help. Cut off all of the dead/dying material and DO NOT add it to your compost pile. In wet years I sometimes have that problem, but the plants recover the next season. The point is not to let it spread to other plants by keeping the debris cleaned up and disposing of infected material.

Whatever you send me will be wonderful! If it makes it any easier to make choices, white and cream are my favorite flower colors, but I use all colors so any is fine. I have sun and shade so no worries there. I don't mind cuttings; I am pretty good at rooting most things. (Except clematis, I've probably tried 30 of those and only succeeded with one.) If I get something I already have and don't need anymore of, I have a mom and sister who are all too willing to help me find a place for them.
    For some reason in this swap group I relish the surprises, so that is as much direction as I want to give. I will thoroughly enjoy whatever you choose!

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Hi gang,

Melanie: you are right it definitely is my problem, I completely agree, it is just that this woman is soooo mean. Ugh. Anyway, I did call animal control about it this afternoon and they told me she has to call because there isn't an "actual house" on our property therefore the city won't set traps on our side of the yard. They told me she has to call and then they will set out traps on her property. Sounds good to me because that's who's yard is being annoyed by the little critters!

Becki" The cake turned out great! Did you use marzipan or fondant for the flowers? Too cute! Love all of the flower pics! Keep them coming!

• galium
    16 years ago

beckilove-looks like your peony has either Phytophthora Blight or Botrytis. Symptoms are sometimes confused with one another. Botrytis seldom invades the root crown while Phytophthora often does. I agree with Poison that good sanitation, drainage and air circulation are helpful with Botrytis. I'm going for the lesser of two evils-Botrytis.

By the way-I mailed your Mirth Plants out today.
    DC# 0103 8555 7491 2305 7629

Mariann

• galium
    16 years ago

tracyvine-I meant to post to you way back when you posted the picture of the white fuzzy stuff on your lilies. I don't know if anyone told you what it was.
    The photo is not really clear. If it is cottony then it's probably mealy bugs. They like to nest in the crotches of plants. I wipe them off with a cotton swab moistened with alcohol. They have a waxy coating and piercing-sucking mouth parts.
    If the white stuff looks like spit....Then it's spittle bugs. You can just wash these off.

Mariann

• chrystallake_2007
    16 years ago

Becki
    Very nice job on the cake, and the flowers are beautiful..Great job

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gorgeous cake, Becki! Glad to hear you had a great time!
    We've obviously been having too much fun here....LOL.

Nuthatch - Your Dc# 0103 8555 7491 1367 7851
    It's going out in the morning.

I'm gonna go ahead and start a new thread tonight...my computer at work isn't wanting to let me on this one...seems all the hairy balls and naked ladies are giving the security thing fits!!! lol :O)

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Hi marian! Thanks, They were fuzzy and looked like cotton. I had posted on the lily forum and was told it was the mealy bugs. They said to spray with soapy water. THey are gone now and I am keeping watch for more. Thanks so much for helping me be sure! If I see them again I will try the alcohol.

Becki: We never asked... How was the pedicure/spa day? Did you enjoy?
    Tracy

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Thank you so much, everyone! I had so much fun making that cake and all the sheets, but it was a lot of work, and I would think twice about offering to do anything on that scale again! Tracy - the flowers and bow were fondant. I was going to make everything out of chocolate melts, but everything was coming out lumpy, and I didn't have time to work with it, so I tried fondant for the first time. What an easy thing to work with! I was pleasantly surprised! The only real problem I had was that I used sheet cake pans from two different comapanies - it appears their rulers are not the same! The Wilton 15" x 12" x 2" was a good 1" bigger than the cheaper ones I bought - so we had some beveled sheet cakes! Weird, but it worked! Just put a smaller layer on top of the larger!

The spa day was fun! My feet were halfway soft for a while! Now they are back to normal - time to start taking care of my feet a little better, I guess! The only problem with the day is that things weren't going well at home or for my husband with our business, so I got constant phone calls while we were there and all the way home, so it wasn't the most relaxing day! But, such a wonderful treat from my sister! She was the most beautiful bride I have ever seen - can't wait to show you all a picture (of course, I am a bit predjudiced!)

Okay, for the peony - I cut all the foliage off, as it all looked bad - same for the peony I had several feet away - looking the same way. I cut them both to the ground. The stems looked bad and everything. So... do I need to dig them up? Or should they grow back okay next year? Thanks so much for all the help, girls!

• medontdo
    16 years ago

the cake looks good!! your flowers look very nice!! now you can totally relax!! :')) my gosh! boy! you guys are so bad!! LOL :')) been busy trying to sort out all these seeds for that other seed robin of yours hnb, oh my , tabor is having so much fun with this, talla is drivin us nuts!! i have officially lost all of my spider something or another seeds you gave me in the carpet, i used to vaaccum them up with the hose and a white cloth over the end of it, not working this time, she did a good job, LOL only she would do this good of a job! LOL :')) does anyone have camillia seeds they'd trade?? on a good note, my glads have more things ready to bloom, same plant though, still waiting and watching!! a neighbor brought us some blackberries that ours will taste like next year, if tabor don't mow them down. very good!!

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am having to use the boss's computer again...(giggle) Seems like we always do this...."the page you are trying to access has exceeded the tolerance for questionable or forbidden words"

LOL...I emailed my hubby some quotes from the forum today...His whole office got a kick out of it...had them laughing nonstop for quite a while. :O)

They said...and I quote..."What a bunch of dirty old ladies!"

I totally object to the OLD part. Dirty, we may be...but OLD??! I think we're too immature to be old..... :O)

• medontdo
    16 years ago

i totally agree!! i'm too immature to be old!! i absolutely refuse to grow up!! my son say's i'm a dork cuz i won't grow up! LOL but we play! peace and quiet!! talla is asleep!! LOL omG!!! :'))

• chrystallake_2007
    16 years ago

HNB--Now who is he call dirty and old, I take a bath every morning and night and I am not prune wrinkled yet so I take offence at that word...LOL He would love to be in a room all together at one time...bahhhhhhhh..dirty ladies indeed. Every man's fantasy....LMAO