Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

o
New-July MNF Fresh and Cool Swap!

Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 11:41

Would anyone be interested in doing a Fresh and Cool Swap this month for the Making New Friends group?

What we could do is:
1. Send 1-3 packs of fresh seeds from our gardens, or your neighbor's gardens or snagged from where ever!
2. A Happy,Summertime card complete with a recipe for a "cool" summertime dish or drink, and a tip or hint on how you cool down/freshen up after a hard day's work in the flower beds!

If you are interested, sign ups will be held until July 12, with partners assigned on July 13. You will have until July 31 to mail out.

A small bubble envelope should be good for this swap; I think there are small priority bubble envelopes, if you choose to use them. And please get a DC#!

We'll also play a guessing game!

Anyone interested in staying fresh and cool this month?
Come on out and join us!
Shirley!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New-July MNF Fresh and Cool Swap!

Count me in for this one please.
-jen

o

Shirley,
Super cute! Count me in :)
vina

o

Perfect! It's too crispy here to trade plants, but freshly harvested seeds I've got.
Sign me up,
Alana

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 19:24

With Shirley quickly becoming #1 enabler of my growing affection for swaps, I'm in. Ha!

Katie

o

This sounds like an easy swap, which makes it perfect for me! Count me in too! It's been awhile since I've been an MNFer, so I'm overdue, wouldn't you say?
Dan

o

• Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 21:55

WOW! Great response already!
Welcome Jen, Alana, Vina and Katie! And Dan? I won't say you are overdue, I'll just say we're glad you chose this month! Welcome!

Katie, just so you know, I'm not the only "enabler" in this group! It's like an ongoing circle: some of these people enabled me, and now I'm enabling you and someday you'll find yourself enabling others too!

Seriously, swapping has been good for me. I have a hard time breaking out and trying something new, but I just have to try all the seeds I get and I've found so many plants that I never knew I wanted, and that just makes me want to swap more to see what other new stuff I'll receive! Like I said, an ongoing circle! And another mile long sentence!

Oh No, the fireworks are starting again! I think everyone in town bought them this year. My cat Willie hides/crouches behind the bathroom door until they're all over and done with. She looks so miserable and I don't know what to do for her. Can anyone remember when it was illegal to have fireworks?

In any event, I'll talk to ya all tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

Count me in for this one.
Faye!

o

I'm in and this is a "cool" idea. I don't have to go out in the heat for it. Margo

o

Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 11:29

Welcome Faye and Margo! Glad you could join in!

Faye, the plants you sent me from the last swap are doing very well. 2 of them are in the ground and growing well, the asparagras fern is potted up along with most of the others, but I ran out of containers too, so a few are still in a tray covered with water. Would you believe they are growing?!

Margo, we've already reached 87 here, it feels alot hotter than that! No doubt in my mind that we will top 100 before nighttime!

Hope everyone is staying cool!
Shirley!

o

Hi everyone,

I'd like to join the MNF group for this swap. Can you guys tell me what I need to do to join?

~ Melody

o

You just joined, Melody. That's all there is to it.
Welcome!
Alana

o

Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 17:47

Welcome, Melody!
Glad you could join in!

It only got up to 96 here today. Only?

Shirley!

o

Haha, thanks! This sounds like a fun swap.

"Only" 96˚????? Aah, that is too hot. I would be melted. And my plants would be fried.

It's sunny but very windy here, lately. So actually, not that hot but I'm still burning out in the sun anyways. I'm having to stake pretty much everything though, it's so windy now.

o

Oh man, it's supposed to read "96 degrees". Danged keyboard.

o

Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 18:53

After suffering weeks of super hot temps (many days +100 degrees), and drought conditions, we finally got some rain here in MS. Next week, the weatherman promises to bring us highs in the low 80's :o Can't wait! I know my plants can't either.

Shirley, I am sure there is no short supply of "enablers" here, but you are currently holding the #1 spot, thanks to your plants & your unending enthusiasm. Hahaha. Looking forward to more enabling, and being an enabler myself.

My dog is no fan of fireworks, either. The cats don't seem to care one bit. I am surprised more places did not ban fireworks this year, considering how dry it is in so many parts of the country.

Katie

o

Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 21:43

Katie, glad you got some rain, wish we would get some. I've been watering like crazy!

Okay, I'll stay at #1, do you need anymore plants? Just kidding. But I do have some leftovers from the sale. Anybody!?

Melody, what state are you from?

And speaking of staying cool, thought I'd share this pic. The robins have been having a field day with my fountain. I have a birdbath but it is filled with rotting fruit for the butterflies. The goldfinches drink from the fountain but haven't jumped in yet!

o

Cute picture. Don't have too many visitors to my birdbath. The do enjoy the running waterfall in the ornamental pond.

I am over these high temperatures. I can't believe that we are saying the mid 80's will be a cool down. They say though that the heat index at 8 am tomorrow morning will be 102. I have a wedding to go to tomorrow. The reception is at the Toledo Zoo and we are allowed to ride the train and visit certain exhibits. I doubt there will be too many takers for that. I am sure everyone will be surrounding the bar instead.

Stay cool. Margo

o

Hi everyone, I would also like to join this fun, easy, COOL swap.
Yes it has been totally HOT here too, days over 100+ and we too are expecting it to cool down into the high 80's, hopefully there will be some breezes with those 80 something temps. It makes it much easier to work outside with the breeze blowing.
I have a question though, does it matter WHAT kind of seed we send, like for instance, I have daylilies that have seeds soon to be ready. I know they will be un-named ones and was wondering if that matters or do we have to send specific seed like Straight-neck Squash which would be a named variety? I also know that it would depend on the partner you are paired up with as well, but was just curious.
Thanks,
:) Aqua

I also wanted to post the coolest pic I have taken so far this year (minus the socks and the fly, but it was drinking water off the socks because it had rained over night)

o

Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 11:57

Hi Aqua, and welcome to the swap!

It's always a good idea to check your partner's wants list, to see if you have anything they might want or like. Sometimes people will mention seeds they either want or don't want, but other than that, anything goes! Well, invasives are not really popular!

What a beautiful shot of the Red Spotted Purple! Do you get a lot of them? I've had them in my gardens but not this year, so far.

I got my first shot of a Monarch this morning! It's funny how a butterfly siting will make ya forget about the heat!

Okay, back outside!
Shirley!

o

Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 10:35

Good Morning!
It's a beautiful, COOL day here! We had a good rain last night and I've turned the air off! YEA!!

Here's our swap group so far:
Jen
Vina
Alana
Katie
Dan
Faye
Margo
Melody
Aqua, and Me!

We still have 4 days to sign up, so, come on out, folks!
Shirley!

o

Hey, I was wondering if I should take the extra time to dry out these fresh seeds. Like, take an extra week to make sure they're not super moist and susceptible to mildew so they survive the trip in the mail. The reason I ask is, I've found some seeds that don't dry out on their stalks before falling to the ground........now that I'm writing this, my gut tells me I should let them dry out a bit.

Shirley, I live in San Francisco, California. Thanks for asking. We had pretty hot weather here for a few days last month, and now we're back to what looks like typical SF summer -- you know the Mark Twain saying, "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." So, lots of fog. Temps in the 60s. I live on top of a hill too, so it's windy all the time. But it's beautiful.

I've finally got a few butterfly and hummingbird flowers blooming, but no sign of them yet. I wonder if I waited too long to sow these seeds and haven't been discovered yet?

o

Melody, definitely take the time to let the seeds you are sending dry out for shipping. We've always said here in the MNF group "send what you would like to receive", and no one wants to receive a bunch of moldy seeds. Trust your intuition.
I harvested seeds today that I'll be sending my partner, and I'm going to give them enough time to dry out before sending them along. They're in different stages of being ready, but I'll make sure they're all done drying before sending them out. I won't say what they are though, that would spoil the surprise!
Dan

o

Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 20:28

Dan's right on the seed drying issue, Melody. And we have until the end of July to send out, so you have lots of time for them to dry out!
Mine, like Dan's, are in different drying stages. Some I harvested a couple of weeks ago, and I just harvested some today. And I don't think the penstemon or the hollyhock seeds will be ready to harvest until Christmas! Well, you get the idea; I am SO tired of watching them!
A beautiful, cool, sunny day here today; what a relief from the heat! I think it only got up to 83!
Have a great night all!
Shirley!

o

I would love to join this swap. It was not mentioned what kind of seeds. Flowers or vegetables. It does not matter to me. Either would be fine.

Don

o

Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 23:05

Any kind of seeds will do, as long as they are fresh!
Welcome to the swap, Don!
Shirley!

o

What a nice big group! This will be a good one, Shirley.
Happy Monday.
Alana

o

It looks like the party is getting underway just fine! Someone put some music on while I pass these brownies around...lol!

o

Mon, Jul 9, 12 at 20:17

Hahaha, Dan! Everytime I read the theme of this swap, the song "So Fresh, So Clean" by Outcast plays in my head!

(Don't know that song? You can Google search for it and hear it on YouTube. LOL!)

o

Shirley,

I just came in to get a "Fresh and Cool" Margarita. I need that while I water outside! Fresh and Cool Swap...sounds great!

Thanks!

Annie

o

Mon, Jul 9, 12 at 21:19

Annie, this time I checked the list first, you aren't on it, but hopefully you want to join in, am I right?

We had rain again today, so I'm not watering; my cleome, zinnias, snapdragons and cosmic cosmos are all starting to bloom! And my milkweed that I WSed two years ago is finally blooming! However, the Monarch that came in today insisted on flitting around the milkweeds that I just WSed this year!
I'm playing Willie Nelson as we speak,Dan, but will check out Youtube for that song, Katie!

You're right, Alana, we do have a nice, big group; nice to see some new faces too!

Have a great night!
Shirley

o

Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 8:01

Good Morning!
Here's the list of players for this swap:
Jen
Vina
Alana
Dan
Faye
Margo
Melody
Aqua
Don and Me!

Two more days to sign up!
Annie, are you in?
Guessing games start on the 13th!
Have a great day,
Shirley!

o

Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 9:25

Don't forget me, Shirley!

Katie

o

Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 9:43

Shoot, sorry, Katie, you are definitely on the list!

I got a pic of what I thought was a butterfly yesterday. Posted a really bad pic over on the butterfly forum for help in identifying it, and found out it was an 8 spotted Forester moth! Really cool! It is about the size of a cabbage white, black with white/yellowish white spots. It flies during the day, feeds on grapevines or Virginia Creeper. It's considered a pest in vineyards. Very pretty little fellow! I thought I was seeing things when I first spotted it. A polka dotted butterfly? As soon as I get a good picture, I'll post it here.

Okay, off and running!
Later!
Shirley!

o

Shirley,

I am in!!!!

Thanks!

Annie

o

I would love to do this one!!!!

o

I will also join and I can have my son take to the post office for me. School is really hard for a retirey like me. And we can't do our labs at home since we can't log onto the college computer system. I am taking (4) 2 hour classes, but today is the last day to change and I think I will drop QuickBooks because I just don't have the time. I really hate to do that but oh well. Been in the upper 90's this week and yesterday the air conditional was out in the building that I am in.

Have a great day!

Ellie

o

Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 10:20

Welcome Lavenderpyly and Ellie!

Here's the group:
Shirley - Me
Jen
Vina
Alana
Dan
Katie
Faye
Margo
Melody
Aqua
Don
Annie
Lavenderpyly
Ellie

Still time to sign up!

I'll probably post partners after 9 pm tomorrow night, if that's okay with everyone. What a great group!

Have a great day!
Shirley!

o
Welcome Annie!

Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 10:33

Jeez, first I pressure you to join and then I forget you!
Sorry. Great to have you with us!
Shirley!

o

Yeah,...nearly at the last minute (as seems to be my wont for many things these daze), but count me "in" as well! :)

o

Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 22:20

Nice to have you join in, Cryptid, welcome!

I had my first skipper come in today, haven't IDed him yet, but he's an orangish/brown color and very tiny. Nectared on the Cosmic Cosmos.

Also had 2 Huskies wander thro this evening. Vinnie and Willie were sitting in the dining room window as the dogs passed by and they totally freaked! I kind of freaked too; they were young dogs-no collars.

Until tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

Morning everyone!

I'm having a little trouble with this swap. I hope that no one minds if I only have different kinds of Columbine. That is the only thing that has gone to seed for me so far this year. I harvested them already and they will be dry. And they are far enough away from each other to not cross pollinate. I'm going to try to do some snooping about and see if I can find other seeds in other yards, but, I just don't want anyone to be dissapointed.
vina

o

Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 9:19

Good Morning!
Vina, I think it will be the same for all of us. It is kind of early for fresh seeds. It's the nature of the swap! You might not be the only one with a limited variety, so please don't worry about it!

A little less than 12 hours to "Partners!" If you are lurking, NOW is the time to join in!

Shirley!

o
Partners!

Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 20:49

Yea! Partners!
Just a reminder:
We are sending 1-3 packets of FRESH seeds, a summertime card with a recipe for a cool meal/drink, and a tip/hint on how you stay cool, or freshen up after working in the gardens.

Please get a DC#. Post here when you send and also when you recieve. A small bubble envelope should work for this swap. We have until July 31 to send out.
I'm using Sandlapper-Rose's idea for pairing people, that she just used on another swap. Thought it was a great idea.

And here we go!
Vina and Aqua will send to each other;
Alana and Katie will send to each other;
Faye and Ellie will send to each other;
Dan and Jen will send to each other;
Margo and Melody will send to each other;
Annie and Don will send to each other;
Read carefully, the pairings change:
Shirley will send to Lavenderpyly,
Lavenderpyly will send to Cryptid,
and Cryptid will send to Shirley!

Please email each other for addresses; any questions, just ask!

I'll post the first guessing game in the morning!

Have fun, folks!
Shirley!

o

Yea, I have Miss Vina! I love Columbines so this is prefect, Miss Shirley thank you!
Fun, Fun, Fun!!!!
Vina I will email you now. I hope you like what I have in mind for you and you don't have it already! Not knocking our much needed rain but I can't collect them until it stops enough for them to dry out enough to collect. Every time I thought I would be able to get them it starts raining again.
In the last few days it has rain a good bit, I am thankful for all of it though we have needed it so badly.
My plants are happy though! Even the stuff I still haven't gotten to to plant out yet. I'm happy, no watering going on here....woohoo!

o

Morning Everyone!!

Yeah, Parnters! Awesome Aqua, I'm sending to you :) I'll be able to get everything ready and mail next week.

That ribs recipe looks very YUMMY! I'm printing it out to make next week. Delicious with brown rice and grilled carrots...drooling right now :) Thanks for sharing!

And if someone could please send rain this way it would be VERY much appreciated. It hasn't rained here in a while. My grass is brown, crunchy and pretty much dead. I've been watering twice a day in the flowerbeds. Poor babies. They still look so sad with the heat we've been having. On a posisitive note, I was able to collect some more seeds, and I guess with all the iris I grow I'm conserving water by not needing to water them, lol!
I like being a glass half full kind of girl :D

Billy's 4th B-Day Party is tomorrow. Nothing real big just some family. Going out today to pick up the necessities...like a dinosaur table cloth...can't have a party without it...or so I'm told. :)

Have a super Friday!!
vina

o

Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 8:53

Yay - partners!
Alana, I will send you an email to introduce myself & get your address.

Vina, I am in the same boat as you, not all that many of my plants have made me seeds yet. I have about 4 or 5 species collected by now but wish I had more variety. Now I am eyeballing dead flower heads in local business' flowerbeds. They need their flowers deadheaded, right?! LOL!

Katie

o

Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 9:47

Anyone ready for some fun and games!?

Here's what you'll do:

1. Guess the answer to the question listed below;

2. Post your answers here on the swap;

3. Don't worry if some of your answers are the same as someone else's;

4. I'll post a different question each day, for 6 days;

5. You will have 20-24 hours to post your guess;
6. There will be points awarded, on a daily basis, for:
Right on the number,
2nd closest guess,
3rd closest guess.

7. I'll keep track of the points and announce the daily winners.

8. At the end of the game, prizes will be awarded for the categories mentioned above along with a Booby prize for the least amount of points. First prize will be a Prairie Dusk Penstemon! Haven't figured out the rest of the prizes, but don't panic, I'll get it done!

And here is your first question!
"True blue colored flowers are kind of scarce - How many did I have in my gardens this year?
There will be bonus points of 1 each if you can guess what they were, but you don't have to.

Any questions, just ask, and let the guessing begin!
Shirley!

o
Some stuff I forgot!

Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 10:03

Forgot to say that there will be 5 points awarded for any guess right on the number; 4 points for second closest guess and 3 points for 3rd closest guess.

There will be a tie breaker question for First Place, if needed.

Shirley!

o

Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 11:33

Ooo, games! Fun!!

I am going to guess 5 types of blue flowers.

My guesses for types are:
Viola (pansies)
Delphiniums
Ballon flower
Campanula (bellflower)
Forget-me-nots

Happy happy Friday!
Katie

o

Shirley,

True Blue flowers in your garden...my guess 12

*Lobelia
*Salvia
*Forget Me Knots
*Love In A Mist
*Balloon Flowers
*Columbine
*Aster
*Bellflower
*Larkspur
*Campanula
*Phlox
*Pansy

And Partner Don, I have your address but will send you an email to confirm.

Thanks!

Annie

o

My guess for the true blue flowers in your garden 13
Ture Blue penstemon
Scabiosa
Balloon Flower
Bellflower
Blue Bells
Salvia
Iris
Cupid's Dart
Bachelor buttons
Columbines
Forget-me-nots
Love-in-a-mist
Pansy

Don

o

OOOHhh! Games :D

My guess is 6:

Love In A Mist
Balloon Flower
Scabiosa: Butterfly Blue
Hydrangea: Nikko Blue
Iris: Victoria Falls or any pretty blue :D
Blue Flax

vina

o

Shirley, I'm going to guess 14 types of blue flowers. I'm too tired to think straight at the moment, so no list from me, okay?

Jen, I just sent you an e-mail with my addie. Please let me know if you didn't get it.

Everyone have a great weekend! I get to go to a parade tomorrow, which will be a lot of fun! I took the day off from work so I could go, and the weather looks like it's going to be just right for it. Yippee for me!

Talk to you all later...
Dan

o

Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 19:02

Dan, no list is fine. I meant to say that any of you can play whenever you want, every day, every other day, bonus points, no bonus points, whatever you want to do!

What kind of parade?

And I have a correction to make on the rules for the game.
# 8 should read:
"At the end of the game, prizes will be awarded for the TOTAL amount of points accumulated during the game. There will be a first, second and third prize, along with the prize for the least amount of points.

That makes more sense.

Still haven't thought of the other prizes.

Have a great night everyone!
Shirley!

o

Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 19:35

How about this for the booby prize? LOL!

o

Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 20:41

Thanks for the help, Katie - I think!

Is that a blue footed booby? is there really such a bird?

I need some sleep!
Shirley!

o

Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 21:26

Haha, you're welcome, Shirley!
(No, I was kidding. Just being silly and having fun with the thought of a "booby prize"!)

Yes, the blue footed booby is a real bird, and a beautiful one, in my opinion.

How's that for some true blue feet:

o

The parade has all kinds of floats, bands, and whatnot. I've heard that the theme for the parade this year is the 50 states, so it should be interesting! When I was but a itty bitty tyke in '76, President Ford was in the parade, called the Grande Royale, and I got to shake his hand. I was only 10...lol! I'll be taking pictures, so I'll probably post a thread hereabouts for them.
G'night!

o

Have fun Dan!
Am I too late to answer the first question?
If not, I'm guessing 8:
Anchusa (azurea or officinalis)
Anagallis monellii, Blue Pimpernil
Delphinium
Centaurea cyanus, Bachelor's Button
Trachymene coerulea
Hydrangea spp
Phacelia campanularia
Ipomoea spp (maybe Clark's Heavenly Blue morning glory, or another)

o

Oh my, I have missed a lot. I have been working a lot plus moved my daughters things out of her apartment to store at my sons until she can get into the next apartment. She goes to the University of Ohio and all the apartments have different rental times. Crazy.

My husband and youngest son are exploring Europe for three weeks so I am on double duty covering the projects he would normally do too.

I see I have a partner so I will be getting in touch with her for an address. Need to gather seeds.

Dry, dry, dry here. We need rain. We have had three rainfalls in the last two months. Gotta go water.

Margo

o

Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 10:00

Good Morning!
Round One of the guessing game is closed!
Remember, folks, you can join in the game at any time!

Alana, you made it in under the wire, but I have to admit, I had to look up 3 of the ones you listed. I WANT the Trachymene Coerulea!

Here are the true blue flowers I have: Jacob's Ladder, Forget Me Nots, Love in a Mist, Borage, and Brunnera Jack Frost.

So, Katie is the daily winner with 5 points for "right on the number" and a bonus point for forget me nots-Total -6 points

Vina came in 2nd, guessing 2nd closest for 4 points and 1 bonus point for Love in a Mist - Total - 5 points;

And Alana came in 3rd, guessing 3rd closest for 3 points total;

Annie and Don each got 2 bonus points for Love in a Mist and Forget me Nots!

Congrats! I'll post the next guessing game as soon as I have another cup of coffee!
Shirley!

o
Guessing Game-Round 2!

Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 10:22

Okay, some swap business first! Is everyone getting the addresses they need? Anyone close to sending out? We have until the end of the month to send out, so no real hurry yet!

Cryptid, I'll try to get my address out to ya today!

All Righty, Round Two:

Guess how many Salvias I wintersowed this year!
Bonus points for guessing how many were Annuals!

o

Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 16:22

Holy cow, I got it right? That never happens!

My guess for round 2 is: 35 salvias.
And I think 10 of them were annuals.

o

Shirley, I'll save you some seeds from the Trachymene.

I'll guess that you WSed 17 Salvias, with 6 of those being annuals.

Alana

o

Hello Everyone,
Ellie I need your mailing address please.
Thanks,
Faye!

o

LOL!!! I want a Blue Footed Booby bird!!!! I have to look that one up Katie!

Shirley, (Round 2)....my guess for the number of Salvias you wintersowed is 12. And 5 are annuals!

Happy Saturday!!

Annie

o

Shirley, my salvia guesses will be that you wintersowed 13, and 9 of them were annuals.

I sent an e-mail out to Jen, but haven't heard back from her yet. Hopefully she's just busy, but it would be nice to get just a note from her with her address. We'll see what happens.

I went to the parade today, and it was a lot of fun! I'll go post some pix in another thread so I don't weigh down this thread with them all.

Dan

o

I will guess you winter sowed six salvias and three of them were annuals.

Don

o

Yayyy, I heard from Jen! Lol, she's trying to survive the heat and humidity, and we're both looking for rain. But then, aren't most of us? This year has had a lot of strange weather, hasn't it? Back in mid-April we had a week in the 90s, which got my winter-sown flowers sprouting. Then we fell back into the low 30s and high 20s again, which killed everything. Normally my area produces most of the cherry crop for the nation, but there weren't any this year. Then I had crocuses, daffodils, and tulips blooming at the same time, with my snowball bush not far behind. That's never happened before. Last week I was looking over my miniature greenhouses that I'd used to wintersow in, and I had morning glories sprouting! I've put them into a a big pot with my clematis, and who knows what they'll do? My roses and cone flowers are going like gangbusters now, and believe you me, that makes me one happy camper! Who knows what's next?

o

Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 10:05

Good Morning Everyone! Happy Sunday!

Well, the number of WSed Salvias was 11, with 3 of them being annuals, so there was no daily winner in the game, BUT!!
Annie came in 2nd closest for 4 points,
Dan came in 3rd closest for 3 points, and
Don gets 3 bonus points for his guess of 3!

Way to go, folks! Round 3 will be posted, after a short coffee break!
Shirley!

o
Round 3!!

Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 10:39

On to Round 3!! Remember, you can jump in the game at any time!

How many times have I thrown gardening tools and old boots, yelled and screamed, called their mothers unkind names and chased those @!*%#@! squirrels out of my flower gardens?
NO, NO, NO! Just kidding, that answer would be up in the 1000s!

Here's the REAL question!
Guess how many hours it takes to plant out 16 containers of WSed pansies? The answer can be in whole hours or whole/half.
Bonus points for guessing how many clumps of pansies had to be replanted in the raised bed, after the squirrels dug them up, the same day.

o

Happy Sunday!

Woohoo! 2nd place for the first one! Totally missed the 2nd ??, darn it! :)

Now, onto the 3rd.
My guess is 3 1/2 hours to plant 16 pots.
And I'm guessing that it took you 2 hours to replant after the squirrels dug them back up.

Have a great day!
vina

o

Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 11:16

Vina, guess again on the bonus, please, it's how many clumps, not how long it took!

It did take a while to replant them, tho, they had them scattered and half buried everywhere!

Shirley!

o

Shirley,

Round 3....

**** 3 hours to plant
**** 24 clumps had to be replanted after the squirrels had soooooo much fun!!!!

Happy Sunday!!

Annie

o

Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 12:28

Hmmm, I'm going to guess 4 hours to plant out the pansies.
And I'm guessing 8 of them had to replanted after the naughty squirrels had their way with them.

Hmmm, Shirley, I could send you a recipe for Squirrel Dumplings ;)

Dan, your potted plants are lovely!

Katie

o

2 1/2 hours to plant
11 clumps replanted

o

My guess is hours to plant, and 15 clumps had to replanted.

o

Thanks Katie, they really help when I'm turning into the driveway after a day of delivering the mail out in the hot sun!

3rd place for round 2, cool! I'm not complaining!

Let's see, for round 3, I'm gonna guess 2.5 hours to plant them, and those squirrels probably gave you about 12 clumps to replant! Silly squirrels! Did you plant them where they put them?

Dan

o

3 hours to plant
7 clumps to replant

Don

o

Oops, 2 hours to plant:)

o

Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 21:22

Annie, I'm not sure how much fun they had, but they certainly did a thorough job!

Katie, Thanks, but no thanks on the dumpling recipe! Many, many years ago, while I was still married, my husband and sons hunted squirrel during small game season. I had to cook them. First, you had to boil them in soda water to get all the blood out. TOTALLY DISGUSTING.

Upon reflection, and given recent events, those memories make me smile now. Quite a bit.

Dan, I'm not sure if they all went back in the same places, I was so upset. Put plastic netting over them until they got established. Funny thing, the squirrels never bothered any of the containers, just the raised bed.

Cryptid, did you get my email? Have you been in touch with Lavenderpyly? Let us hear from ya!

See ya all tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

Well I am guessing around 2 hours to plant and 5 of them for the squirrels!!!!!

o

Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 10:15

Welcome to the games, Keyla!

Dan, meant to say your flower containers look great!

Alana, I would love some of those seeds! Thanks!

Well, I have to tell ya, folks, it took me ALL day to get those pansies planted out! 7 1/2 hours. Yeah.

Apparently, you all could have planted them out quicker than I did, SO!! Everybody will get the same amount of points as the hours they guessed, ie, Don guessed 3, so he gets 3 points, Alana guessed 2.5 and she gets 2.5 points, and on and on and on! I'm not going to list all of you!!

I had to replant 10 clumps, so there are no bonus points awarded today!

But since this is the half way point in the guessing games, I am going to give the totals, so far, for everyone!
Katie is in the lead with 10 points!
Annie is next with 9 points,
Vina is third with 8.5 points, and
Don comes in at 4th with 8 points!
Dan and Alana are tied with 5.5 points apiece, and
Jen and Keyla are tied for last place with 2 points each!

And yeah, you guessed it! Coffee break and then on to Round 4!!
Shirley!

o
Round 4!

Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 10:32

Here we go with Round 4!

Most of my herbs are planted in pots/containers. I've had 3 of them out there for about 6 years, still sitting in the same place, never covered in the winter, still in the same disreputable pots and flourishing!
Guess which 3 herbs they are!
No bonus points but since we are half way thro the games, you will get, for one day only, double points!! Whoo Hooo!!

Guess away, folks!
Shirley!

o

My guess would be thyme, sage, and chives.

Don

o

Good Monday Morning MNF'ers,

Round 4......

I will guess Chives, Oregano and Lavender

Annie

o

Hi all, was away this weekend and missed all the first few rounds of the games.

For the herbs, I'm going to guess Thyme, Oregano, and Rosemary!

o

Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 14:32

For round 4, I will guess:
sage
thyme
mint

Hope everyone has a great week.
Katie

o

Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 14:49

Keyla, your package is on it's way!
DC# 03121430000298456929. The Post Office lady said it should be there Wednesday.

Hey Melody, join right in! Double points tomorrow!!

Where are all the butterflies!
Shirley!

o

Sorry I messed up on Round 3. But I'm all fired up for Round 4. With Double Points too :)

Hmmm! Still in pots and no cover for the winter months...

Me thinks I smell some:
1. Mint
2. Chives
3. Oregano

Happy Monday!
vina

o

well let's see:
1. Mint
2. oregano
3. sage

o

my guess is chives, thyme, and oregano:)They are all hardy little buggers for zone 5

o

Okay, I'll guess Thyme, Chives and Rosemary.

o

And I'm guessing parsley, thyme, and oregano.

We're having a tough time coaxing any rain into Traverse City, it all wants to go either north or south of us. And you know things are getting rough out there when cone flowers start looking wilted, right? I've been watering though, so everything is okay. Yesterday I found something extra in the yard, a rainbow! No pot of gold at the end (yes, I checked) but I did find some watermelon sprouting where no one remembers throwing any seeds...lol!

o
Double Points and Round 5!

Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 8:35

Morning! I'm posting earlier today, going to the Toledo Zoo for the day, well, depends on the heat as to how long we stay there!

Remember, anyone can jump in the game at any time!

The 3 herbs were Chives, Oregano and Sage. No one hit it right on the number-bummer! However, Don, Annie, Vina, Jen and Keyla were 2nd closest for 4 points, doubled to 8 points each!
And Melody, Alana and Dan were 3rd closest for 3 points doubled to 6 points each!
Whoo Hooo!!

No time for a coffee break this morning, we'll go right to Round 5:
My backyard is mostly a cement patio. I have to grow all the butterfly host trees/shrubs in large containers/pots. Guess how many large pots/containers are out there?! Remember, there isn't much space back there.

There is one potted shrub out there that isn't a butterfly host plant. It is considered a tropical, think that's the right word, for zone 5. I cut it back and repot it every fall and drag it inside, then back out again in the spring. Can get very tall, beautiful pink blooms but can be lavender. For 5 bonus points, guess what it is! Please email me your guess for this, okay, if you have time!

I'll post an update on where we are with the swap, sending wise, tomorrow. Have a great day!
Shirley!

o

Morning!

Round 5 :0)

My guess is 32 pots/containers.

Stay Cool at the zoo!
vina

o

Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 9:24

Vina!! Large pots, honey, Large pots! Guess again, quick!
Shirley!
off to the zoo!

o

Ok I will say you have around 15 containers and the shrub I would say that is a hibiscus!!!!

I like your rainbow and have fun at the zoo!!!!

o

Oh dear, I just can't get on her enough to keep up with all of you. LOL

I am enjoying seeing everyone involved in the games.

Oh my goodness Shirley, the ZOO!!!!! What were you thinking??? I stepped out to water the herb garden and it is darn hot!!! I don't think getting out early would beat the heat. It is 10:30 and 83 degrees out. The zoo is only a half an hour from me so I know it is just as hot there. I bet you were wishing you could jump in that water with the polar bears. I am curious as to how busy it was. Let us know how it went.

Margo

o

Before I left to mail canyonwind's swap, I glanced out of my kitchen window. This dear doe deer (say that fast three times) was eating my apples.

Photobucket

canyonwind's DC# 0311 2550 0003 7272 1449

My guess for game 5 is 3 big containers. I will email my guess for the bonus.

Don

o

Good Morning,

Round 5

10 large containers

and I will email you my bonus guess!

Shirley, enjoy the Zoo!

Annie

o

I have a cement backyard too, although I must have more room than you because I've accumulated a crazy amount of potted plants!

I'm going to guess 12 pots.

o

6 pots, butterfly bush

o

Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 13:03

Hi everyone!

I'm going to guess 6 large pots for this round.

Have fun at the zoo, Shirley, and stay cool. I will email you my guess for round 5's bonus question.

Katie

o

Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 17:00

Hey Everyone! Back safe and sound. Been checking out all the pics! The heat was horrendous! The polar bears never showed up! Now, I have to go play bunco, DRAT! I'll be back later to share a picture of Lucas!
Shirley!

o

9 large pots is my guess.

o

LOL! Shirley, I'm dreaming BIG for you :D

Okay, so I'm going to guess 16 pots.

Glad you had fun at the zoo!
vina

o

I must say I have been following the FOTESS July Cookbook swap I am so jealous of all those terrific boxes and I saw where Miss Vina received her box with the most interesting recipe in it...in her words SUPER YUMMY YUMMY (needed to say that twice!) Apple Pie Jam an was wondering if that might get passed my way????
I have never heard of this before an it sounds very yummy I would love to have a copy of the recipe for that, yum, could you just image Apple Pie flavored JAM??? Without the pie! I bet that would be good on ice cream, Miss Becky suggested that in the other thread. There were some yummy recipes over there too!
Ya'll have fun with your game, I am not good at guessing but it has been fun reading all your post!

o

Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 23:54

Home at last! Long, hot day!

Margo, I too was wondering "what was I thinking" about 15 minutes after we got there; it was 85 at 10:30! Got a lot worse. Oh, before I forget: Come on in and join the games. You still have a chance for last place!

The Toledo Zoo is one of the nicest zoos I've ever been too, but today it seemed like a long, HOT hike across all those cement paths and plazas to get to a shady bench!

We were there for about 4 hours. As I said, the polar bears were no where in sight; the butterfly pavillion was closed and I have never cared to see gorillas behind bars.

On the other hand, the rhinocerous was magnificent, as were the giraffes, and the zoo has 2 grey crowned cranes! But this little guy made my day! This is Lucas, a baby Indian Elephant, a little over a year old. The heat wasn't bugging him at all, he was frisking all over the place!
Talk to ya all tomorrow!

o
Wrong Pic!

Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 0:04

Shoot, that's his mother, here's Lucas!

o
One more pic!

Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 0:12

Here's the Grey Crowned Crane!

o

Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 8:26

Oh, wow, Shirley! That grey crowned crane is gorgeous!! Love the elephants, too!

Dan, nice rainbow. I have worked out of Traverse City before. It was a lovely town and area. Love the river flowing through the middle of town. I was working on Bellows Island. Familiar with it? It's further north, up by Northport.

Katie

o

Shirley, we haven't had a chance to get up to the zoo to see Lucas. He is so cute. We were up there for a wedding last weekend but it was in the area before you cross the bridge so we could only observe the Africa area. We were able to ride the train and carousal but it was too hot. Hottest day of the year so far so we weren't doing alot. The reception was in a pavilion so there was no air conditioning. It sounds like despite the heat, you had a good time.

I should have joined the games but would have had such a late start, would have been in last place anyway. LOL I am not good at guessing either.

Heading up to Crafts 2000 today with my friend who is visiting from Shelby Township. They say we are to get strong storms so I am looking forward to the rain. We don't have big trees so the worry of losing them isn't there. I just have to make sure anything that can blow away is either pulled in the shed or anchored down. I have lost a lot out here.

Have a good one everyone. Margo

o

Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 10:00

Morning! Here's hoping it's lots cooler today!

Don, couldn't say "dear doe deer", it's too hot! Do you get many deer in your gardens?

Margo, it wasn't too crowded, but LOTS of little kids, toddlers!

Katie, the Grey Crowned Crane is one of the more colorful cranes, there is also a beautiful Black Crowned!

Okay, onto the Game!
Alana is the daily winner, right on the number with 9, for 5 points! Two butterfly bushes, a New Jersey Tea, a Hackberry, a black cherry, 2 pots of Black Willows, a Paw Paw and the bonus plant: a Crepe Myrtle! Yeah, the lady at Extension told me this was a tropical for our zone. Bummer, no one gets bonus points, sorry!

Annie came in 2nd closest for 4 points, and Jen, Melody and Katie tied for 3rd closest, for 3 points each!

And here is ROUND 6!! The last guessing game!
Between wintersowing and direct sowing, how many butterfly HOST plants did I sow this year? Nothing below 10!
Have fun!
Shirley!

o

Good Wednesday Morning,

Shirley,
RE: your round 6 question. I am assuming this question is asking for the TOTAL NUMBER OF INDIVIDUAL PLANTS YOU WINTERSOWED OR DIRECT SOWED OVER 10?????????????????????
Or is it how many Varieties of butterfly host plants?????
I shall refrain from guessing until I hear your answer...LOL!

Annie

o

Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 12:12

Oh Dear! Thanks for bringing that to my attention, Annie!
I meant how many varieties! The number of plants was mind boggling for sure!
Shirley!

o

My guess would be 24 varieties.

Don

o

Nuts, I missed round 5, but I'll jump in on round 6 and guess you w/sed 18 varieties...lol!

I'm glad to hear you had a good time at the zoo! I haven't been to one in almost 20 years, where did the time go? When I was moving back to Michigan from Tennessee I stopped in at the Knoxville Zoo, and one of the elephants "shook" my hand! It was a crazy kewl moment for me because I've always been in awe of them. I think the elephant knew/sensed that because he had his back to us when there was a group of noisy kids and their parents. When they left, he turned around, shook my hand, and gave me a little bit of a trumpeting. A zookeeper came out to see what was going on, and when I told him what had happened he took me on a short tour behind the scenes in the elephant house. I'll never forget that trip!

Dan

o

Nuts, I missed round 5, but I'll jump in on round 6 and guess you w/sed 18 varieties...lol!

I'm glad to hear you had a good time at the zoo! I haven't been to one in almost 20 years, where did the time go? When I was moving back to Michigan from Tennessee I stopped in at the Knoxville Zoo, and one of the elephants "shook" my hand! It was a crazy kewl moment for me because I've always been in awe of them. I think the elephant knew/sensed that because he had his back to us when there was a group of noisy kids and their parents. When they left, he turned around, shook my hand, and gave me a little bit of a trumpeting. A zookeeper came out to see what was going on, and when I told him what had happened he took me on a short tour behind the scenes in the elephant house. I'll never forget that trip!

Dan

o

Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 16:30

Hmmm, for round 6, I'm going to guess 16 varieties.
Wow, that seems like a lot!

Katie

o

I am going to guess 28 varieties ;)

o

Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 17:48

Alana, I dropped your package off at the PO today.

DC # 0312 0860 0001 4384 3836

Storming here in MS again.

Katie

o

Hmmm, I will guess 15 varieties of butterfly host plants!

o

Afternoon!

Shirley, I'm guessing BIG for you again! LOL! My guess for Round 6 is 30 varieties.

That little Lucas is so cute! And I agree, I've never been one to see gorillas behind bars. We have some baboons at the Syracuse zoo, and they always look sad :(

Aqua, I'll post the super yummy! yummy! recipe tomorrow so everyone can enjoy the scrumptiousness :)

Have a great night!
vina

o

I am going to guess 28 varieties ;)

o

Shirley,

I just got home about 45 minutes ago...I have my glass of Merlot...I better post my guess! I am so glad I asked that "Q". My guess otherwise would have been so much higher. One should never assume anything......LOL!

Round 6...

I will guess that Miss Shirley planted 21 VARIETIES of beautiful Butterfly Host plants.

Happy Thursday!

Annie

o

Good morning,
Haven't had time for the games or much other since I started classes. Sent Faye my partner, an email but haven't heard back. The last email came back so not sure if I have the right email address. I thought just clicking on where she signed in would do it. LMK please.

We have had terrible wind and rain storms for several days but its turning hot again. The rain and hail on Sunday just ruined the flowers/vegies. Not much standing up straight except the weeds. How can that be?

Well have to get my stuff ready and leave for the bus. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Ellie

o

I plan to mail to Katie on Saturday.
In the meantime I will guess that you sowed 22 butterfly host plants.
Drove 3 1/2 hours yesterday to get to a Red's game-I try to see one a summer. It was 100 degrees when I got to Georgetown, and sunny. By the time I got to the stadium it was 74 and pouring rain. Water cascaded top to bottom like a waterfall while I shivered in a raincoat. They lost 7-1 and lots of folks left before the seventh inning stretch. I'm going to have to rethink this yearly ritual.
Alana

o

Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 10:33

Good Morning! We're getting rain, as we speak!! YES!!

Ellie, Faye was my partner for the last MNF swap; I contacted her thro GW. Is that how you're doing it?

All righty! Our winners for Round 6 are, TA DA!
Dan is the daily winner with a right on the number guess of 18, for 5 points;
Katie is 2nd closest with 16 for 4 points;
Annie and Melody are tied for 3rd closest for 3 points each!
AND!! Since this is our last guessing game, Jen, Vina and Don will each get 2 points, just for playing!

Okay, I have some running around to do that can't be put off any longer, so I'll be back later, with point totals and the winners!
Stay tuned!
Shirley!

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 11:58

Hello & happy July **fresh & cool** to those of you with the heat!

I remember during a heat wave 20 years ago when we didn't have an air conditioner in an older mobile home... Hubby was feeling poorly after an outpatient procedure of a liver biopsy and 15 month old was cranky, too. Around 8am we drove to our Safeway grocery store & walked around the open style frozen food displays. My younger sister was a teenager and had been over to help with our baby, so was embarrassed as we walked round and round with hubby bent over pushing the cart in pain. Biopsy turned out negative :o).

A whirlwind of campers are enjoying the summer activities here including the Nature Center with the children's gardens. I still need to pot up some mints to set down there in the tea garden to finish the planting for this year. I keep saying I'll get to it after....

In the evenings when I'm outside turning off the soaker hose or putting away my garden chair cushion I can hear the campfire singalongs with the leader singing into a wireless headset and the campers belting out the songs. Times have changed that now campfire is amplified! It sounds so good to hear their happy voices I sometimes linger outside a bit longer if the mosquitoes aren't biting. The benefits of living at a year round camp.

The other day I picked up an endless summer hydrangea original for the backyard hoping it will bloom away all summer for us. I've only purchased 2 other hydrangeas (mophead florist plant with NOID and no blooming the last 2 years, Twist & Shout, Pia) since the others have been given to me at plant swaps. This new one will replace the florist plant that dies back to the ground and isn't producing like I'd hoped in the bed between the patio and the hot tub.

Not sure if I should cut the old blooms off or not. I've read different views on that. There is one new bloom forming, purple-brownish color to some parts of leaves, and about 8 older blooms on twisty stems. Does anyone have a suggestion?

:o) Corrine

o

Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 12:09

Alana, we must of been posting at the same time, you get the 2 points!

Forgot my checkbook, DUH!
Shirley!

o
And the Winner Is.......!

Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 17:06

Annie! Yea! with 23 points!

Vina and Alana tied for 2nd place, with 18.5 points each. No tiebreaker needed here!

Don came in at 3rd place, with 18 points!

Honorable mention goes to Katie, Dan, Jen and Melody!

And Keyla/Lavenderpyly gets the Booby prize for the least amount of points - 10!

Congrats, everyone! I'll mail prizes out soon, need to watch the weather for Annie's. And Don, I'll email for your address.

I'll be back later with a swap update.
Shirley!

o

Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 9:12

Thought I just posted this - guess not!
Let's try this again:
Here's where we stand with the swap:
Partners:
Vina and Aqua; have both been in touch
Alana and Katie - Katie sent; Alana is sending Saturday;
Faye and Ellie - Have you both been in touch?
Dan and Jen; both have been in touch
Margo and Melody; both have been in touch?
Annie and Don - Don sent; Annie's been in touch
Shirley sent to Lavender/Keyla;
Keyla is sending to Cryptid; Keyla needs your address, Darrin!
Darrin is sending to me, and has been in touch.

Let me know if I missed anyone! The deadline for mailing is the 31st of July.

We got lots of rain yesterday; it's in the low 70s here today and cloudy, hope we get more rain!

Have a great day Everyone!
Shirley!

o

Yes,yes I have never won anything!!!! :)

And Yes cryptid send me his address so I will mail his package either today or tommorow!!!

Today is happy day for me lots of rain since last nite and my garden looks so happy today!!!!

o

Thank you shirley you're the best!!!! I just receive the package. I love homemade soap thank you, thank you so much!!!! And thank you for the awesome seeds, Ice tea recipe and the card!!!!

o

Melody and I have been in touch and I am in the process of getting my package ready.

Lots of rain yesterday and overnight. I am so excited about that. No need to water at all today. Not even pots.

Margo

o

Thank you Katie!
Today I received seeds from Katie's garden for Coreopsis lanceolata, Tomato Cherokee Purple, Salvia coccinea Lady in Red and Coral Nymph, and Zinnia elegans. I look forward to growing them.

Katie included some helpful cool down hints as well as some wonderful refreshing recipes for Citrus Shrimp Couscous and the Pimm's Cup cocktail, which sounds wonderful.
The card has a terra cotta sundial on it, just like one I had in my garden for several years.

I feel a little embarrassed by the recipe I have in your package ready to go out tomorrow, but it reflects what I REALLY do to refresh and cool down so I am not ripping open the package to replace it, lol.

Katie's DC is 9405503699300081956462.
Alana

o

So bummed out. :( :( :(

I left the house today around noon, came back three hours later and discovered that somebody had stolen one of my plants from the front garden patch. I know it was a Person and not a gopher or something, because there was zero trace of my baby sunflower -- no gnawed through stump, no roots, nothing. Not even the hemp rope that I had used to tie it to a bamboo stick for support. NOT EVEN A HOLE. The thief went through the trouble of filling in and covering up the hole. They left my two other baby sunflowers alone, though.

What utter jerks. I grew those babies from seed as I do most of my plants, and it's really devastating to completely lose a plant, especially when Somebody steals it. There's not much I can do about the theft. (And I suppose I should be grateful that they haven't taken my pride-and-joy Danish Flag poppy plant, but maybe it's just a matter of time.)

Anyways, just wanted to vent. It's a handful to deal with my neighbor's cat using my garden patch as a litter box, gophers terrorizing my petunias, snails, aphids, caterpillars....but humans! Humans who are selfish and dishonest, I draw the line.

:( :( :( Not a good gardening day.

Anybody have this kind of problem?

~ Melody

o

I have never had theft from my garden but totally understand your frustration. It is a sense of accomplishment when you grow something from seed. Then to have someone take or destroy it just doesn't make sense. I don't even understand why they would even do that. I have had animal damage at my last house and one day it even drove me to tears I was so frustrated. I am sorry this has happened and hope they do not come back.

I am sure more humans have had enjoyment in seeing your wonderful garden so don't get too discouraged. Don't let one person destroy the fun of your successes.

Have a good weekend. Margo

o

Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 11:14

Hi Everyone!
Prizes for the games will be going out to everyone but Annie, hopefully tomorrow! We're keeping an eye on the weather, before mailing Annie's Grand Prize!

Melody, what a shame, I'm sure you would share anything from your gardens, if someone would just ask!

Faye, Ellie is trying to get in touch about your address, please contact her to exchange addresses. Hope all is well with you.

Shirley!

o

Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 8:52

Good Morning!
We look to be getting some storms today, which could be a good thing! Margo, they're coming in from Toledo, are you getting any rain?

Getting ready for the granddaughter's visit! They, and their Mom and Dad of course, are going to visit for a few days on the way to their new home in Kettering, Ohio. I'm SO glad they are going to be living closer!

On with the cleaning! I'll be back later with a swap update. We still have a week left for mailing packages out!
Shirley!

o

I have just opened Saturdays mail.....FRESH and COOL has come my way. And it is wonderful!

Don (dem_pa)sent me.....

*a very happy card with a poem inside "Summer Song" by Alice Ann Gordon. I feel fresh and cool after reading it!!

*Seeds....great selection!
Granny's Bonnet Columbine
Golden Globin Blanket Flower
Lincoln Pod Peas
Amish Deer Toungue Lettuce

A recipe for Blueberry Crisp....and get this, the recipe has mayo in it. I will be making this in the next couple of days.

*And what does Don do after a hard day in the garden????? He likes to go to his sisters campsite....and then get on a kayak.... and then "play in the water". He even sent a pic of people on the water kayaking. So fresh and cool!!!

*And his favorite drink...Iced Tea with lemon. Don included 2 packets of ice tea with lemon.

Don, thank you so very much!!!!!!

Happy Monday!

Annie

o

Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 11:50

Good morning, MNF-ers,

Alana, so glad you enjoyed your package! And don't worry, I'm sure I will love your package, too! I look forward to trying any and all recipes, no matter how simple or complex. Hope you enjoy the Pimm's Cups. They are so delightfully refreshing on a hot day. Love the fresh and cool cucumber in the drink. It's scent and taste really make it what it is. Hmmm, maybe I should post the recipe here.

Melody, so sorry to hear about your garden misfortune. That is such a bummer! I would be so mad! I can't think of any time when I have had plants stolen. I would be tempted to take those kitty "sand-tarts" and create a land mine field. I considered that once when someone stole a presidential election sign out of my yard. lol...

Stay cool, everyone.

Katie

o

Hi everyone! So sorry I've been MIA. Had some computer problems creep up on me :(

Anyhoo....I promised to post the super yummy Apple Pie Jam Recipe:

~4 cups tart apples: peeled and finely chopped
~2T lemon juice
~1tsp. ground cinnamon
~1/4tsp. ground allspice
~4C firmly packed sugar
~1C firmly packed dark brown sugar
~1 box pectin
~1/2tsp. butter

1. Add water to chopped apples to measure 4 cups. Place apples and water into large saucepan.
2. Stir in lemon juice, cinnamon and allspice.
3. Measure sugars.
4. Stir pectin into fruit.
5. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil on high heat, stirring constantly.
6. Quickly stir in both sugars.
7. Return to full rolling boil and boil for 1 minute. Stirring constantly.
8. Remove from heat.
9. Skim off any foam with a metal spoon.
10. Ladle quickly into hot, clean jars, leaving 1/4inch headspace. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with 2 piece lids. Screw bands on finger tight.
11. Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

This recipe makes 6-8 half pint jars.

Anything with 5 cups of sugar in it HAS to be good :D
OH! and we had some with vanilla ice cream this weekend. Warmed it in the microwave and spooned it on...HEAVEN!

I still haven't mailed yet. I will be this week. So sorry for the delay :)

Have a great Monday everyone!
vina

o
re:Melody

Just scrolling down reading the threads now.

Melody, I am so sorry to read your post about your flowers coming up missing. And YES! I have had that happen. About 3 or 4 weeks ago I was going to the pond and was looking around and I noticed that some of my flowers weren't blooming like they were a day or two before. I figured it was just the heat...till I went in for further inspection. Someone had walked around my side yard and my pond trimming flowers for an arrangement!!! More than one kind had been trimmed off. Couldn't believe it! I actually had to second guess myself and think...Did I cut these??? I thought I was having a senior moment? It hasn't happened since, and I bet the arrangement looked nice. They sure did pick some nice colors.

But, what kills me is I would have been happy to give them to em'. I cut bouquets all the time for people, but I use my back flowerbeds and the daylily bed by the pool. Those are the best picks for flowers :)

I guess I could be happy they didn't take the WHOLE plant like they did with you. :(

How awful.

o

Don,

I have to drop off several packages at the PO on Thursday or Friday, so I am planning on sending your "Fresh and Cool" out then. I will post the DC # after I send.

Melody,

I can not recall anyone ever removing plants/cut flowers from my yard. I wonder about "mankind" so often these days. The things some people will do. It is very disappointing to say the least.....and quite sad.

The positive side is that you enjoyed growing it and it was a success. That gave you pleasure and happiness. I like to think that the majority of people would not steal plants from someone elses yard. Most people do have respect and will not cross that nasty line.

What comes around goes around......I do believe!

Happy Tuesday!!

Annie

o

I just checked on Katie's package and it was delivered yesterday. Thanks Dan, for filling us in on the virtues of Saturday shipping once upon a time. It has changed the way I ship.
Alana

o

Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 12:19

Dan, could you share "the virtures of Saturday shipping" with us again?
Shirley!

o

YEAH, YUMMY YUMMY APPLE PIE JAM RECIPE POSTED!! THANK YOU VINA for posting for us all to enjoy!
Thanks to Miss Becky for sending it to Miss Vina!

VINA you have a DC# 03120860000241675162

Melody, I am so sorry to that happened to you, I have never personally had it happen (yet anyway) but do know others that have. At least it was something you grew from seed and you got the pleasure out of that while you had it in your yard.
I think it would have made you (an anyone else) feel worse and really really upset had it been a dear plant you had spent a nice chunk of change on.
I am lucky I live off the main road now an no one really comes down this far unless they are going to the last house at the end of the dirt road. Unfortunately I have to deal with 4 wheels and dirt bike riders barreling up and down the dirt road because they go play in the woods at the end of the dirt road, we put up a NO TRESPASSING sign at the end of our drive because someone came into our barn and tried to steal our saddles and some other stuff last summer.
Well, one of the smart twerps thought it would be funny to trespass in our yard, he came in the yard, spun around the sign a couple times then came in further and made a couple laps around a tree we had cut down, when the man of the house started walking toward him he spun around again and went out threw our yard to get back out in the road, he didn't even try to go out the driveway. It was short, quicker, and much faster access away from the coming doom!
None of them have tried anything like that since BUT it was so totally all out and out rude of him to do it in the first place.
We do have to get on to them from time to time for speeding out the road because all of us who live here have animals that can run out in front of them. So they have to be reminded of that.
Then on top of that they keep knocking down a display I have at the end of the drive with the house number to mark the place, it has been completely ran over with a car, dirt bike I don't really know what it was, I just know the last time it happened there were actually black marks left in the dirt!

People are just rude now a days and the trouble is it is only going to get worse I fear...

Take care everyone and HAPPY GARDENING!!! Stay FRESH AND COOL!

o
Head on over to Part 2!

Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 13:11

This site is filled, please post on MNF Fresh and Cool Part 2!
Shirley!

o

Hey there, everyone! - Shirley, as of yesterday afternoon, your package is officially on its way! DC# 0312 0860 0000 9662 6227

Been meanin' to pop in here a lot more consistently, but as always, there's always something, anymore. C'est la vie. - I always seem to miss out on the games. Oh well :) Congratulations prize winners, and especially Annie! :)

Melody,...that's such a downer about your stolen sunflower. Almost seems like some kid, maybe, did it. I mean, just one flower was taken, and then the hole's filled in, etc., perhaps hoping you might not notice or whatever. Strange. - Personally, I kinda wish someone would come along and purloin all the orange ditch lilies along our frontyard fence, planted by the previous owner. All they do is form a wall so you can't see any of our other flowers or anything. Been digging them out, slowly, but they're so well established it's like chopping through matted tree roots. Suckers spread like blackberry vines, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here