Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth_b_kodiak

JULY posts for 12 Month Seed Swap

beth_b_kodiak
17 years ago

Holy Flying Alarm Clocks Robin!!! It's July already. Hard to believe the year is half gone.

With luck we will all have something in out own yards that will have harvestable seeds for this month. Don't know yet what it will be for my yard, but I hope to send my partner some "home grown" seeds. Regardless of wether or not you have home grown seeds to share, do be sure to send your partner a nice warm friendly card. Swaps and Robbins tend to get put onto the back burner when summer hits full force and life gets crazy but it never too hot or too busy for a bit of thoughtfulness.

End of pep talk from this old Grannie. Have a wonderful 4TH and a safe productive month.

BB

Comments (26)

• atravers
    17 years ago

Happy 4th of July everyone. I can't believe the year's half gone either.

Mary Ellen, I'll be packing up your July seed package tomorrow and will put it in Wednesday's mail. Fresh seed from my gardens coming your way!
    Ann

• cassiet
    17 years ago

Carol,
    Did you receive your package yet for last month? I sent it last week. Also your package for July is going out today. Hello everyone!!!

Cassie

• mellen
    17 years ago

Beth, did you ever get a package from me?

Ann, I got your package today, and I am again thrilled with what you sent. I, too, love columbine and the hardy geraniums. I have a number of each but not any of what you sent. Ann sent seeds harvested from her own flowers--Cameo columbine, Claridge Cruce geranium for starters. I will toss both of these out where the other columbines and geraniums are, cover them up, keep them watered, and wait for them to get going. I started a small slope with the geraniums on the east/north side of our house. I already have about a dozen growing there so will enjoy the additions to get it covered more. There are still many bare spots that need to be filled in. Right now I have other perennials there, but I'm just waiting for the geraniums to grow to fill it in. I just googled the cameo columbine and the cherry blossom salvia, and they are both so pretty and delicate looking. I know I will enjoy them both. The Lenton Rose seeds sound exceptionally special since the seeds came from plants that originally came from England 30 years ago. I do understand that I need to plant them right away, and I will do that. Wish me luck with them growing! Thank you, Ann, for some more wonderful seeds. Whenever I see your package arrive, I always get a smile on my face, because I know that there will be something very special inside! Mellen

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

HI Mellen, nope, no package yet but maybe tomorrow. I did just start another whole bunch of parsley and herbs from the seed you sent earlier. The swallowtail caterpillars and just starting to really work on the ones that are outside so it's time to start more for the kitchen
    Your seeds from Ann sound exciting. I started some Lenten Rose about 4 years ago and they look healthy but are growing very slowly. I think they need more sun but I hate to move them again. I'm going to wait until next year to decide about the move. The geranium sounds exciting too. Maybe next year we can show pics of some of the plants we grew from this swap.

• mellen
    17 years ago

Beth, Grr...about the seeds I sent you. I'm thinking I sent them around the 27th of June. If they don't appear by Tuesday, I will send extra in July's package. I have some of my own harvested seeds ready to go. This time of year when the flowers are at their peak and so beautiful, I look at them and think to myself what an awesome God we have.

Thanks for giving me hope about the Lenton Rose seeds, too. So you planted them in shade, and they came up? That was where I had in mind to plant them today. Everyone have a beautiful week. Mellen

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mellen, I'm back witha red face and biteing my tongue. I DID get seeds from you for June and a very nice note too. I cleaned the truck after church and there was a packet from you along with two other pieces of mail on the floor in front of the passenger seat.
    Crimson Rambler Morning Glory and yellow cone flower are my two new flowers to try. I've decided to set up another small bed for these and the ones that Carol sent. My other sunny area is getting very crowded and I want to set these off rather than just jam them in. I did not plant ANY morning glory seeds this year. I thought it was too late when I got here but the season is long so i'm going to give them a try.
    My Lenten Rose seeds were winter sowed but I bought them from T&M and they did OK. (foil packed) I kept them in little seed cups for a long time, then planted them under a pine tree. I think it is too shady for them to grow well but they are growing.
    Anyway, Sorry for the error about the seeds but I'm very glad that they fell inside the truck rather than into the PO parking lot. Many thanks. BB

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

Hi Ladies ~ I will be sending Jans seeds out in the morning. Has anyone heard how she is doing? Sure miss seeing her post.
    Have a wonderful night all,
    Tina

• mellen
    17 years ago

Nooo need for the red face. Just relieved to hear you did get them. Thought it was taking WAYYYYY too long to get there. And they were late, too, I'm sure. Thanks for letting me know. :))) I will do better this month. Mellen

• atravers
    17 years ago

Mellen,
    So glad you like the seeds. I LOVE the description of your sloping garden. Sounds lovely. Harvesting some seeds off another geranium now so will be sure to send some along next month to add to your growing collection. What wonderful friends we meet here!
    Ann

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

My seeds didn't go out as planned yet. Sorry. HAve been so busy running here and running there. Please accept my apologies.

Beth, I have a question. Do we have a Jacqueline Sue Grana in this group? IF so, please forgive my ignorance. I received a bubble envie about a week ago with something inside that I can't ID. I can't recall making a trade, and have no record either. I know I have traded with this gal before as I remember her name, but can't for to save my life remember her GW ID.

If anyone knows her ID, I would be so greatful to find out.
    If I owe her something, I would like to get it sent out.
    I'm just at a loss here.

Thanks so much,
    Tina

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Cassie, I received your june pkg and loved the seeds, my dh is working over nights so I sleep all day and try to stay up all night boy am I confused and my doggie has taken to jumping up and biting my right arm whenever I am on the computer, wanting out then won't come in when I call her hard to post while your arm is being eaten, no excuse tho I should have posted, thought I did. thankyou senile carol

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Tina, I don't recognise that name. I might know her by the GW name but not by that one,
    Sorry

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

Well, because of the holiday and vacations I am getting a late start. But I will be sending my seeds out to Darlene by the end of this week.

We had a wonderful 4th at the lake, friends, family, food and good weather. Can't remember the last time that all came together for the 4th of July.

sharon/tma

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

Thanks to Amanda, I have remembered who Jaqueline Sue Grana is. mkruby, duh! LoL

Tina

• mellen
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday, Carol!!!

Beth, I sent my packet to you in today's mail. I also thanked you for your box over on another site. Mellen

• atravers
    17 years ago

Dear Bonnie,
    I received your WONDERFUL June/July seed package. I enjoyed going through your carefully packed seeds very much.

The card from the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is lovely. I've been down that way in April and it's a perfect time of year to visit when New England winter still won't let go.

The cartoon strip you included is is very appropriate - planting nonstop because you just can't get back up. I really know that feeling.

And the botanical prints you sent me of the phlox, rose, hollyhock and bleeding heart are beautiful. In my favorite pink and rose tones. My husband makes frames when I REALLY beg him and I would love to hang theses four together as a set in my living room against the white wall.

As for the seeds you sent, you always choose the nicest varieties. I really like the ones you sent from your own plants/flowers: pink phlox, white hibiscus, shefflera, and artichoke (What kind of artichokes are these? I LOVE artichokes)! The three packaged seeds are equally as nice: CA poppy, digitalis Camelot, and sweet pea Matacana.

I agree with you about loving the old varieties the best. I enjoy growing flowers that my parents and grandmothers grew.

Thank you for such a thoughtful package. I hope all is well with you and please take time off as you need it. You've sent me enough already to last a year and then some!
    Ann

• gardnwatch
    17 years ago

Hi Ann,
    I tell you ..you are spoiling me royally.
    You sent such a great package..got it today and you're not even the one assigned to send seeds to me.
    I think you have outdone yourself by taking a picture
    of the grown flowers you planted from the Dianthus seed I sent to you a few months ago. Those flowers have turned out to be gorgeous. The paper frame you put the picture in was a wonderful addition. The packet of Dianthus "Firewitch" you sent are so nice too......I will plant them and see what happens.I hope I have as much success as you did.

By the way......the artichoke seeds I sent you are ormamental Cardoon artichoke seeds. The seeds will send out a magnificent purple flower atop of a sturdy stalk... a real show flower.

Thank you again for the great surprise...you are such a giving gardening friend...
    Bonnie

• rudybacon
    17 years ago

Received my seeds yesterday from Carol. A lovely note and great seeds. Thank you so much.

I see that I am not the only one not visiting the site much. After my gradson broke his back, my husband has been sick so I never have a minute hardly that isn't spoken for in advance. At least the flowers are there to make me happy.

Kathy

• cassiet
    17 years ago

Hi Carol,
    Check your email!!!!! veeja3! If not in inbox, check bulk mail or spam whichever you have. Will say PARK SEED!!!!!! Let me know when you get it!!! Darlene received the lovely pack of seeds. Like the ideas. I have hypothyroidism too. Hope you are doing better.

Cassie

• mellen
    17 years ago

Beth, Are you sitting down? I sent your August seeds today. REALLY!!! Me, the one who was soooo late in May and June. Umm....Hope I can keep it up, BUT don't get used to it. :) Mellen

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Cassie, I can't find the e-mail you refered to. please try again. thankyou carol

• cassiet
    17 years ago

Carol it went to the email listed on here... veeja3@wmconnect.com.

I can't try again because it's coming from Park Seed. Please look for it today! and also in bulk mail.

Cassie

• cassiet
    17 years ago

Carol,
    I sent you a COPY of my confirmation email!!! This is all that I have right now. So you will know what to look for. Let me know when you get the actual email with the information in it and your message! If you haven't received it by tomorrow the 31st please let me know and I will call Park Seed.

Cassie

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Way to go Mellen!!! With this heat I can hardly do anything at all much less get stuff done early.
    On that note, I send apologies to Jeanette..... I'll be mailing July and Aug together early this week. So sorry, I just keep putting it off for one reason after another. Bad, Bad girl. Sorry, sorry. Ill do better once it cools off..... if it ever does.

• veeja11
    17 years ago

I received a very generous gift certificate from cassie, to park seed. thankyou Cassie, I will have fun shopping. I love it. Thankyou hugs carol

• darlene87
    17 years ago

Sharon: received your nice card with the note in it. Also the package of Diascia seeds. Have never grown them, so that will be a new one to try next yr. I have a few hanging baskets, mostly ivy geraniums. But my favorite one is a hanging chenille plant, which is now 6 yr. old. Our heat wave broke the other day, and now I can get back to doing something in the yard besides water it. Have a great August. So where has the year gone?
    Darlene