Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earthlydelights_gw

UPDATE: obf: christmas in july

earthlydelights
12 years ago

Hey everyone, for some reason I can't post to the last thread and since it's getting filled up, I started a new one. Carol, hope you don't mind.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Carol, believe it or not, I'm ahead of the game (with help). I have a box on it's way to you. There's another one to follow with a few "loose ends", and the "christmas" portion of the swap. Hope you like it. Please recognize when you receive it, it's from me!!!!!!!!!! xoxox

(walking away so proud of herself since she's always late!!!!)

Have a great weekend everyone, it's supposed to be in the 100's today and the next few days. i guess i really can't complaint, look at what our soldiers have to endure.

Maryanne

Comments (64)

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carol, you crack me up. 72 is hot in your world? Let me trade you, and I'm sure some of the southerners would too. Heat, humidity - Y U C K !!!!!i'll take that 72 and raise you a 100!

Jeanne, those babies are just so precious. I'd have to pack my bags and move, or bring them home with me. Triple the love and hugs and laughter. What an absolute joy times 3!!!!!!

We had an amazing rain storm last night. came down like it really meant business, but didn't last long enough to make anything pop in the garden. i would love to see a three day misting rain, really give the ground a good soak.

can't believe this is the end of july....what happened to this year already?

jen, very nice additions to your garden. they'll be spectacular next season.

i have so much work to do outside but i don't think i'll do anything until summer is put to rest. way too uncomfortable working out there, plus i get bit up in such a way that it's so debilitating at times.

remy, hope your garden tour went well.

have a great day everyone, looking forward to reading all about this month's swap.
    Maryanne

• veeja11
    12 years ago

wow!!! Christmas in july at Carol's today, received a huge box of alstromeria roots from Maryanne. nice healthy tubers. I love Alstro, I got some last year from a guy on lily auction, small roots that didn't make it. so super happy to get these, soaking in water tonight for plantin tomorrow. Thankyou maryanne I love them. back to 69 today so I feel better, no thanks to the 100, I would die. I love my christmas present, no man in box tho, but love my plants. hugs happy carol

• rosemctier
    12 years ago

jen, those seedlings are amazing! i was getting ready to pack up your box today. then i noticed that one of my new daylilies has rust. ugh. it was nowhere near the ones i was going to send to you but that doesn't mean that the wind didn't blow spores in their direction. how do you want me to proceed? i could observe and treat if needed, or could send them to you and you could isolate, observe and treat if needed. plmk.

carol, i am sorry for your tomatoes! we had a week of 90s temps that you would have been more than welcome to!

planted out 404 daylily babies today. nowhere near done. am paying dearly for this obsession. back is killing me.

hope everyone is doing well!

• jlee160
    12 years ago

Go Ahead and send- I will isolate and observe. Thanks:) 400 ... Wow!

• brittneysgran
    12 years ago

Rose-Wow 404 daylilies....You do have it bad. Sorry about your back I have the same problem. My knees don't bother me but the old back is another story.

Jen I did receive the notice....thanks

Carol-I've never grown alstromeria...looked them up and they are beautiful.

Shirley

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello everyone
    Beth your box is on the way, I hope everything gets there ok.
    I had a great time wondering the yard and picking some plants for you. some of my plants are stressed due to temps but I was able to fill some of your wants (hint).
    happy gardening everyone
    michelle

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carol, that was fast. I hope they are healthy and a good size. the grower sent them directly to you. are they labeled so you know the different ones? you should have gotten cream burgundy, dusty rose, pacific sunrise, pink blush and a clump of vigorous seedlings. hopefully they will do so well and you can incorporate them into your flower business. i do have a box of "stuff" directly from me, but it hasn't been sent yet, but will before the month is over (i hope).

dang rose....400+. and i thought i was obsessive LOL. i can only imagine your aches and pains. would love to see some pix.

it's hot again, we had a rain that lasted all of 7 minutes. oh well, there's always another day.

i just got a real popcorn machine. not as big as they have in the movie theatre, but the same type, just a scaled down model. i'm trying to get the hang of using it. i love popcorn!

have a great night everyone!
    maryanne
    maryanne

• rosemctier
    12 years ago

jen, your package is all packed up and will be mailed in the morning. you should get it by sat i would think.

404 is nowhere near the end of it. i estimate at least another 600-800 to be planted. i will post a pic of the field when it is done, but there won't be flowers for about 2 years. sigh lol i blame the generosity of the daylily auction people. for every pack of seeds i ordered, they sent 2 bonuses, i swear!

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    12 years ago

WOW Rose, 800 more. how big is this field? how big are these seedlings? how many can you get planted in a day? do you work straight through? i can only imagine how fantastic this will look once they are in bloom. do you plan on going into business? (no, i'm not writing a book, just interested)

maryanne

• rosemctier
    12 years ago

maryanne, yeah, it's a bit crazy. i am actually hoping to sell some of them when they are older. i will have to, there's not enough room for them to all stay here LOL. in my daylily fantasy life, there will be a few good enough to be introduced and hopefully sell for decent bucks. doubtful but you never know. the area is probably 1/5 or 1/6 of an acre; the lot itself is 1/4 acre but i am really really trying not to use all of it. i would like to have other plants and perhaps a veggie garden too. i planted 404 babies the first day. i do tend to do an insane day of planting, then take a few days off. with this heat, it's been hard. i have heard a rumor that it is supposed to get cool for august, so i am hopeful next week will be more conducive to planting. the seedlings range in side from a nubbin (blades died off but are resprouting) to about 2 feet tall. all were started within a month of each other, so the variance in size is kind of interesting. i am trying to be good and keep detailed records so i know what is what. i also planted about 65 named daylily varieties. i have gone a little crazy lol. it's hard to get a good shot of the entire area and the babies are so tiny you can't see them. when it is all finished i will post a few pics. i have a lot of pics of the adult daylilies i just planted as well as the other things in my garden on my facebook page if you want to look. i have them set so everyone can see them but feel free to friend me if you want :)

Here is a link that might be useful: daylily facebook album

• beth_b_kodiak
    12 years ago

Package from Michelle arrived safely.
    Looks good!
    Will post soon.
    BB

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Hi everyone!

Been a little busy! Maryanne your box is going out on Monday. :)

Love all the pics! And those babies are gorgeous!! :)

Rose, I can't get your pics from the link? Would love to see what 1/6 acre of daylilies looks like...your my new inspiration! :)

Have a super weekend!
    vina

• jlee160
    12 years ago

yeah:) I jsut got rose's box. I recieved:
    Christmas time daylily
    ruffled ambition
    Indochine
    harvest lemon chiffon heuchera
    orchid frost dead nettle
    4 daylilly seedlings

Thank you so much:)

• veeja11
    12 years ago

Rose, sorry didn't get your box out today, sorry it will be late, monday I hope it was 75 here today so didn't go outside, sorry am workin hard on havin it out monday, forgive me please. hugs carol

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Hi everyone! Just wanted to post that a named iris swap is going on on the round robin. You get to list the 5 named iris that you are sending and list 5 that you are looking for. And you get to pick your box that you would like to receive. That way you'll be getting something new.

Hope you'll join us :)
    vina

• rosemctier
    12 years ago

vina, i don't know why you can't see them, i have them set to everyone. do you have a facebook page? if not, maybe that's the problem. if you do, i don't understand why you can't see it. i'll look into it.

carol, no worries! it's been too hot to garden much anyway! i heard a rumor that august is supposed to be milder than july-- fingers crossed!

• brittneysgran
    12 years ago

Rose-Love your pictures....Daylily Double Triple Treat is gorgeous.

Jen-I received my wonderful box and will post the contents tomorrow.

Night all

Shirley

• beth_b_kodiak
    12 years ago

WOW! The "Hoo-fer-rah" is over for this year and I can catch my breath again.
    There is a sort of "open house" here at the ranch that they call the Grass tour. An invitation to come see the pastures and cows and then to EAT.
    The Eating was my part of the deal. It was exciting, exhausting and most of all FUN. Met lots of nice people and got lots of flattering comments.
    It looks like most of us have been having a busy time.
    Michelle sent me a package just loaded with goodies.
    Fortunately she sent a list of the contents.
    the Christmas part was a set of Red White and green pot holders and towels. Very nice and needed too.
    the plant list is long and all look very good. I was surprised at how well they traveled in the heat!
    Three Hostas, Sum and substance, Blue Mouse ears and Mojito
    Michelle, these alone would have been "enough"
    I'm tickled.
    Drunkards dream is so cute. Any idea how fast or large it will grow???
    An aloe plant
    Three different mints,
    Butterfly bush, that is one I have been really wanting.
    And, last but certainly not least, is Sedum Autumn Fire. This even has buds on it and I'm excited to see them bloom. I just love sedums and seem to want every one I see or read about.
    Wonderful package Michelle.
    Many many thanks.
    the PO says that the package for Faye has been delivered . Sure hope everything there is OK. I see on the MNF thread that Faye has not been well. hope things are going better very soon.
    BB

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Posted by mavis07 z7VA (My Page) on Sun, Jul 31, 11 at 14:31

I haven't received any questionnaires. I havent' had a lot of plants to trade this season so I havent' participated in the last few swaps.
    It might be better for me to lurk and enjoy your swaps than to participate this year and next year I will re-join!

Please remove my name for now, but I will be back next spring!

You all are a fun bunch of friends and I thoroughly enjoy this group. So, I'll be lurking and checking in with you now and again until next spring!

Mavis07

• beth_b_kodiak
    12 years ago

I have some seedlings of perennial Hollyhocks that I need to move if anyone would like some for postage. I can send a small package first class for a few dollars.
    They are purple centers with lavender edges. I have pictures if you want to see tham.
    Offering first here but they need to GO!
    BB

• hdiperna
    12 years ago

BB I will take them. Let me know how much to send you .
    Heidi

• beth_b_kodiak
    12 years ago

Thanks Heidi,I sent you a note.
    I'll get them mailed tomorrow or Wed at the latest, by first class mail, Good to have a home for them.
    They have survived here at the ranch (very dry climate) without any care for no one knows how long and they are pretty.
    BB

• brittneysgran
    12 years ago

AUGUST - Sue N (Ice cream social)

Sue N - You have the Month of August. Thanks

Michelle-Your box went out today.

Here is what Jen sent in my awesome box.
    Varigatea Sedum
    Lemon Balm
    Blue Star Creeper
    Pink Astible
    English Blue Bells
    Rose Champion
    Red Sedum
    Salvia Blue Hill
    Dahlia
    Caladiums
    An unknown?
    ? Tahoe - maybe
    Beautiful handmade Christmas Cards....My goodness did you make these Jen? I LOVE THEM
    Everything is potted and really perking up.

I love all these new plants that I have received in our monthly swaps.

Shirley

• jlee160
    12 years ago

Shirley- I am so glad u liked your box. Yes- I made the cards. I used to teach card making classes on the side. The Christmas ones were always my favorite:)

• jlee160
    12 years ago

Yes--- there was an Iberis Tahoe in there, the other was called a wandering Jew- but I don't think it is.

• nottougly
    12 years ago

OK I finally got it in the mail.
    I am still very sick but dcrew it I got it into the mail today to auntyara.
    The confirmsation number is

I am very sorry it took me so long. but with double pneumonia it is hard to do anything. I have hAd it since the fourth and I still have it but the box is in todays mail.
    Faye!

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Good evening everyone!

Wow Faye! Double Pnu...that's awful! Hope your feeling better soon!

Maryanne your box is in the mail! :)
    DC#0308 3390 0002 0057 1157
    Hope you enjoy opening as much I did packaging.

Have a super night!
    vina

• brittneysgran
    12 years ago

Shirley sends to Michelle
    Jen sends to Shirley
    Beth sends to Faye
    Rose sends to Jen
    Carol sends to Rose
    Michelle sends to Beth
    Maryanne sends to carol
    Vina sends to Maryanne

Faye I think you sending to auntyara should be on another forum maybe? The participants in this one is posted above.
    So sorry to hear you have been so sick and wishing you a speedy recovery. Take care

Shirley

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Shirley sends to Michelle
    Jen sends to Shirley
    Beth sends to Faye
    Rose sends to Jen
    Carol sends to Rose
    Michelle sends to Beth
    Maryanne sends to carol
    Vina sends to Maryanne
    Faye sends to Vina

Faye, I second Shirley's thoughts. Vina is your partner on this thread, auntyara on another thread. I've had once what you have - not a pleasant thing at all. wishing oyu a speedy recovery (and even after you think you are okay, take another week to really be okay!). i read your post on the initial july thread, and i believe you received Beth's box.

wow, august already.

i havent see Sue for a while. has another else? Personally, i'll probably need to skip august anyway.

feels like the heat might be letting up soon. i hope so, i'm miserable in it, but i've been trying to think it's nothing compared to what our servicemen/women have to endure over there.

vina, thanks for letting me know. i'm excited to receive from you.

carol, i have a box going out to you sometime this week - the "christmas" portion. you didn't answer me about the alstromenias or whatever they are called. would you personally buy from this grower? were they decent size? i didn't get to see what was shipped and i want to make sure it was quality. where are you woman?

shirley/jen, great box. i just love the variety of plants that you sent, jen.

michelle/beth, another great box of a variety of plants. is drunkards dream a hosta as well? i just started getting into hosta this year, and of course got a little OCD about it and ordered a crazy amount of hosta liners this year. i have them in temporary places until the end of the season and then hope to get them where they will go permanently. i'll tell ya, i have so much digging, splitting, moving and scaling back i need to do, so much of my stuff this season grew like mad and i do believe i have too much stuff. i need to create additional bed(s).

have a great night everyone, stay cool!
    maryanne

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

Hello
    Drunkards dream is a truly funky suculant I got as a hanging basket from lowes last summer.
    It looks like green coral, I don't know how fast it growes but when the stems get older they get fuzzy.
    Michelle

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

Wow, sounds like a great swap so far! :)

Jen~ Great flowers! Sounds like you found a great sale! :)
    Faye~ Hope you feel better soon!
    Rose~ Holy Moly, that's a lot of daylilies! How do you do it?? :P
    Big Sis~ Can I come stay with you for the rest of the summer?? Your 70's sound like heaven right about now!

Sorry I haven't been around much. It's been sooo hot here (it's 114 today! That's BEFORE adding the humidity! Ouch!) and we haven't had rain in over a month. Things are looking so awful. Grass fires are sparking everywhere, and 120 homes had to be evacuated. Praying we get some rain or at least relief from this heat soon!
    I have very few flowers & plant left! The daylilies are struggling, burned to a crisp..and a few black-eyed susans are blooming, which brings me some joy, at least. We just can't afford to water every single day, and now they're starting to restrict the water usage. :o( What the floods didn't take earlier this year, this drought & heat has.

We're getting ready to start another year of homeschooling, so scheduling has taken most of my time. Figuring out studies for 7 kiddos, all in different grades, gets pretty complicated! LoL!

Which brings me to the other reason I've been lax about posting...we're expecting #8 in March. Probably most of ya'll know by now, because it's been mentioned on other threads & FB. :) I've been having horrible morning sickness, that's kept me down for the past few weeks, too. Just another few weeks & it'll be over, though. I hope. LoL!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Hugs too all!
    Melissa

• brittneysgran
    12 years ago

Melissa - Congratulations on number 8 Mommy to be. I don't know how you do it. Hope your morning sickness is over soon.

Thank the Lord for my pond. We are pumping water out of it right now. It is getting very dry here as well.

I'm not sure where Sue N is and what she had in mind for this month's swap. Hopefully she will check in soon.

Tomorrow night I am going to see the play Narnia..can't wait. The overlook players do an awesome job with every play they perform.

Shirley

• beth_b_kodiak
    12 years ago

Heidi, I can't find an email address for you.
    Would you email me .
    Your plants are on their way.
    BB

• veeja11
    12 years ago

Maryanne, sorry thought I let you know, the roots were great, been sick also so just got my box to Rose out conf # 03110240000106401632. I have been keeping Rose updated. Thankyou Maryanne I love alstro and lost all mine to a freeze this winter, so I love my plants. Thankyou, hugs carol

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello everyone. Boy did I get a fabuluous box of plants today from Vina. everyone arrived in fabulous shape and they are all soaking right now.

i received:
    noid red daylily
    daylily fooled me
    hibiscus rose mallow
    butterfly bush - twilight
    iris - baby boom
    iris - little dream
    iris - angel heart
    columbine - lemon ice
    hibiscus turn of the century
    columbine - green apple
    green envy coneflower

I am so excited to have all these plants, vina. what a fantastic box and real welcome addition to my flower beds. the iris are perfect for my g-babe's bed.
    can't wait to see both columbines bloom. this past season i added a few varieties, so these additions are just perfect. same goes with the coneflower.

what a fine assortment, i am so pleased to have been the recipient of this very generous and healthy trade box this month. i'll enjoy these blooms for years to come. santa certainly was good to me!!!!!

maryanne

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    I got my box from shirly yesterday, I dont have time to post a list of all the planys right now, our dog got hit by a car yesterday and I have to fix all the fences and go sell some stuff to pay for his surgery today. he should make it but his back leg is broken in to 3 pieces.
    she send lots of great plants and I rilly like the black dogwood, there are lilys, daylilies, great coneflowers, sedum(I dont have this one) an iris and a gardening mag
    I will post a better list with all the names later
    but thank you very much I love it all.
    hugs
    michelle

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Shirley sends to Michelle - received
    Jen sends to Shirley - received
    Beth sends to Faye - received (i think - see first thread)
    Rose sends to Jen - received
    Carol sends to Rose - sent
    Michelle sends to Beth - received
    Maryanne sends to carol - received
    Vina sends to Maryanne - received
    Faye sends to Vina - ????????????

Carol, have you written to Faye. I know she was sick, but not sure if she remembers she signed up for this swap and I believe she's confused about receiving a box (from Beth) that she posted on the sign up thread.

Melissa, congrats to you and your family. Have you tried cream of wheat (farina) - great for the stomach.

Michelle, I so sorry to hear about your dog. I hope everything works out.

We had some rain a few days this week, has at least soaked the ground...don't want to be greedy and say not enough, but going so long without - well, you all know how it is.

What has happened to both our Sue's? Has anyone heard from either?

I'm sitting here in work, I didn't want to come in today, and now i'm debating on what time I should leave. I feel it already it's not going to be a full day!

Enjoy the weekend everyone.

Maryanne

• beth_b_kodiak
    12 years ago

can send a back up box if we need one.
    Vina and Faye have both been great in past trades with me.
    happy to help out.
    BB

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Good morning everyone!
    Took the kids on a dino dig yesterday and when we got home what was waiting for me but a wonderful box from Faye!

In my box was:
    ~a couple noid plants (I have no idea what these are either and I need to look them up)
    ~2 hostas
    ~heavenly bamboo
    ~noid grass...very interesting
    ~cleaning wipes for my computer (THANK YOU!)
    ~Trail Mix...this is already history, lol!
    ~2 key chains. The sparkly heart one Taylor put on her new back pack for school :)
    ~University of Tenn. playing cards...very cool!
    ~a ceramic watering can...cute!
    ~snowflake picture frame
    ~snowman spatula
    ~and a newspaper about the history from where Faye lives. I have to admit it is very interesting reading it. So much history. So thoughtful of you to include this. I just love it!

And last but not least 2 Christmas cards.
    Thank you Faye! I know you have been feeling awful so this box means that much more to me :) THANK YOU!

Happy Blooms everyone!
    vina

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Hi again! I was just reading through some posts and Suegardens had surgery a few weeks ago. It was unexpected and she was swapping the MNF's June swap when it happened.

Bunny congrats on number 8! WOW! I don't know how you do it.

Maryanne, So glad my box made it okay. I was wondering if you had those iris for your G-baby bed when I was reading your OBF bio. The columbines and coneflowers I started from seed this year. So they should be flower ready in the spring. :)

Michelle, so sorry about your dog. Sending happy thoughts your way! :)

Have a super day everyone...again!
    vina

• rosemctier
    12 years ago

i gotmy box from carol today-- what a christmas treat! there was a huge bird feeder, which will come in handy at the new house! and a lovely card and a cute santa statue that i placed next to my garden gnome on my porch for now 'cause he needed a friend LOL. plants were even more cool! several daylily clumps (carol, these look to be a shorter variety? ), a huge superstition rhizome-- i love dark flowers!--, an ornamental grass the name of which is escaping me, limelight heuchera, an orange lily, and a winky columbine--my favorite spring flower! everyone is already planted. i was a busy bee today :) thank you so much for a terrific christmas in july and an awesome box :D

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great boxes sent and received this month. I guess we are skipping August? What does everyone think? I believe I am hosting September. Sorry to hear Sue is sick. Hope she comes back soon. Wonder what happened to (arizona) Sue.

Vina, absolutely everything you sent to me is so appreciated. Between the ungodly heat and the extreme rain, my stuff is still soaking. i am going to do my best to at least get them in temporary spots as i have so much stuff to divide and move. what i would really like is new property to go plant on - that would be the best thing!!!!

Shirley sends to Michelle - received
    Jen sends to Shirley - received
    Beth sends to Faye - received (i think - see first thread)
    Rose sends to Jen - received
    Carol sends to Rose - received
    Michelle sends to Beth - received
    Maryanne sends to carol - received
    Vina sends to Maryanne - received
    Faye sends to Vina - received

Happy Blooms everyone!
    Maryanne

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

It suits me to skip August. It's much to hot to dig or plant here. Maybe someone has an idea though - and I'm sure it is not this hot everywhere.
    Jeanne

• brittneysgran
    12 years ago

I agree about skipping August...way too hot here for digging.

We can play a few games and award prizes if everyone likes.

I will see what I have for a prize and think of a game.

I normally have only 4 hummers each year but all of a sudden I have 10-12. Nor sure if they had babies or what but they are keeping me hopping filling the feeders. I fill two each morning come home and they are empty. I think I need bigger feeders. I sure do miss them when they leave.

Need to get busy....Be back later.

Shirley

• beth_b_kodiak
    12 years ago

Skipping Aug sounds good to me too.
    I should have some nice goodies to trade in Sept.
    bb

• sguanzon
    12 years ago

Hey I don't think I joined for July was waiting for Aug but waiting until Sept is fine for me. It is waaayyyy too hot to dig or plant right now.

Sue G. (Arizona)

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

skipping August sounds good to me too.

Maryanne, so glad you liked everything. I looked at your bio and tried to pick things that I was hoping you didn't have yet.
    On your bio it said you were looking for iris: Beverly Sills and I think iris: Stairway to Heaven. Did you ever get those?

Have a super day everybody!
    vina

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm working on September's theme and will post it shortly, to give us all a chance to get it together. i have an idea, i'm just ironing out the details.

vina, i aboslutely loved everything...this was a fabulous box and i can't wait to enjoy these blooms for years to come. i have to check to see if i have beverly sills, but i know i don't have S2H. i have so many lost, eaten or pulled out tags, it's sad. i no longer get all frustrated because something isn't tagged, i just enjoy the plant for it's beauty.

sue g. so glad to see ya. i thought we lost you for july, you never came back for the swap. but it's great to see ya.

hope everyone is well today.
    maryanne

• brittneysgran
    12 years ago

Maryanne-Looking forward to September's theme swap. We have actually gotten some cooler weather here this week. It feels great after the hot weather.

I can't believe August is half over. Where do the months go?

I never did think of any games but if anyone else can come up with something that would be great. I have spent every afternoon cleaning up flower beds. Whew what a job.

Shirley

• veeja11
    12 years ago

Hi all been in 70'2 here for over a week, stayin inside with air cond. Bunny my hubbys father is one of 13 all kids start with j, I think you are gonna beat his g-ma, I see 15 for ya. hope to do sept swap be gone for october. hugs to all my bloomin friends