Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OBF - August Dollar Days

Posted by wynative z5 WY (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 08 at 12:05

ourbloominfriendslogo-green-1

Welcome to the August Swap! The heat of summer is upon us & school is just a few weeks away. We will be sending garden related items from Dollar Stores, Garage Sales and other Discount businesses. These can include plants, seeds, tools or what ever you think your partner will enjoy. But it must include at least 2 different kinds of bulbs/tubers/roots, 2 packages of seeds and 3 other items of interest.

dollar_banner_2
We have all seen some great things in these places and if your like me, you will have a stash of them! What ever items you decide for you partner, please put them in a container/pot/basket, of your choice and post a picture when it arrives, with a list of gifts.

Please sign up by Aug. 10th and send your packages out by Aug. 18th. Every Monday morning (4,11,18,& 25), I will be posting a game for you to play and have a chance at winning fabulous prizes - these will include but not limited to Iris, Daylilys, Asiatic Lilys and Seeds.

Let have fun!
Marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OBF - August Dollar Days

Marie,
Count me in~

Hugs,
Deb

o

Sorry But I really need to pass on this month swap .
But Hope you all have Fun I will try to check in now & again .

susie

o

Your idea is a great one, Marie, so no reflection on that, but I am not getting out in the garden much until this summertime heat lets up and as for "other things" - I am trying to de-clutter so I guess I'd better pass for now.
Have fun with this everyone and I'll be stopping in to visit.
Jeanne

o

count me in on this one, I think I'm finally caught up enough to play. sound like fun. hugs carol

o

Marie, I will be sitting out again this month. Hope you all have fun. Amy

o

Deb & Carol,

Glad you are going to be in this one - it is going to be alot of fun!

I wish everyone could but I understand - I to have alot to do this month and have to limit myself, no matter how hard it is :)

Something I forgot to post in the first one:

PLEASE MAKE ALL GIFTS NEW OR IN ORIGINAL SEALED PACKAGING.

Of course the bulbs and seeds can be from your gardens.

Marie

o

Marie, I'm going to sit out on this one.

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o

I am on my way to a rodeo for the weekend and hoping to find a good sale some where between point A & B! LOL

garage sale

Enjoy your weekend and remember the first game starts Monday morning :)
Marie

o

I'll be sitting this one out too.

later...April/dirt_under_my_nails

o

Marie, I love the theme and hope to play but I can't decide yet. I'm trying to finish up my list of stuff to do this summer.
Leaving Monday for a trip to Bryce and then up your way to Yellowstone.
I'll watch for goodies for my partner if I get to play. I'm Always looking for places I can harvest seeds. Got some more nice columbine seeds this week in Teluride. What a beautiful place and the plants will bring back memories.
I'll keep watching the thread and meanwhile, I'll try to find Carol something wolfish at Yellowstone.
Beth b

o

Hi Marie, You can count me in

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 2, 08 at 20:00

Hi Marie,
Being that I am a discount/clearance savvy shopper, I'm in. I can't send bulbs, but I can send plants, so I'll send some of them along if my receiver wants them.

Theresa,
(From the other thread)You must of really cut yourself good to get stitches!! Hope you're healing ok. I'm feeling better too.

I never told anyone about my excursion to the Botanical Gardens. It was great! The other volunteers were so very nice. I will be helping to tend to the ivies and topiaries. Buffalo has the largest public collection in the US, I believe. I never knew there were so many varieties. Many are really cool looking. There are some with teeny leaves, variegated ones, etc. I will be able to take home cuttings of any I want. I also will get lots of other plants for free too! I came home with a begonia, some other kind houseplant, and a few everbearing strawberry plants. The ladies go out to lunch after working all morning so it is really fun. I'm glad I decided to go.
Have a good night everyone,
Remy

o

I'll join for August.....

o

Marie & All~
I know I said I was thinking of dropping for awhile, but I've been looking forward to Marie's swap since she posted the theme awhile back.
I'd like to join in if I can, please, Marie.

Melissa

o

• Posted by mellen 4a/5-ctrl. IA (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 3, 08 at 22:19

Marie, I will be passing this month.
Mary Ellen

o

~ Bulb: potential flower buried in Autumn, never to be seen again... ~ Henry Beard

Good Morning Ladies!

I had so much fun at the rodeo and then went to a party for Hoss Howard and his band Country on Octane. He is a new and up coming Country/Rock singer, his first song is in the top 100 right now - Twang Thang. One of his band members is related to my sisters nieghbor and that is where the party was. It has been agreed that we will be doing this every year and are calling it Yoderfest! LOL

Yesterday this beauty bloomed! If anyone know's what it is PLEASE let me know because I do not remember planting it!
Mystery Plant -

Enough about me... There is 6 of us so far signed up! Well, 7 including me :)
Deb
Carol
Missg
Sue
Melissa - Yes, we would love to have you play!
Remy - Yes, plants are fine! I just wasn't sure how they would travel at the end of Aug. I know I don't travel well in the Blistering Heat of Aug. :) Wow, the Botanical Gardens! sounds like you are going to have a great time and get to pick up some neat new plants. Just remember your friends here ~ we like them too... LOL

-----------------------------------------------------------
WEEK #1 GAME

Wyoming Trivia!
The first to answer all questions correctly will win:
a package of State Flower Seeds and this Iris -
Delirium and I am fragrant :)
First Iris of 2008

State Capital:
Admitted to the Union on:
State Flower:
State Bird:
State Nick Name (there are 2):
What county in Wyoming was I born in and why is it famous?

Let the guessing begin!
Marie

o

State Capital: Cheyenne
Admitted to the Union on: July 10, 1890 (44th state)
State Flower: Indian Paintbrush
State Bird: Western Meadowlark
State Nick Name (there are 2): Equality State, Cowboy State
What county in Wyoming was I born in and why is it famous?
I have no idea. But while researching Wyoming, you've made me want to plan a trip there! LOL
I'm stuck between 2 choices: Goshen county & Natrona. I like Natrona because of the "LOST CABIN MINE" story...but Goshen, because that's where Buffalo Bill is from.

I don't know, Marie....Wyoming is a great place, it looks like! so much history! I almost didn't remember WHY I was looking this stuff up, I got so caught up in all the cowboy stories!! :O)

o

Melissa,

Good guess's but no it isn't Natrona or Goshen. Not sure where you found the information on Buffalo Bill but he was born in Iowa and the town of 'Cody' up by Yellowstone is named after him & there is a great museum there about him.

FYI ~ In 1894 a woman reporter asked William Fredrick Cody, aka Buffalo Bill, whether he thought the majority of women qualified to vote. He was caught off guard but answered, "As well qualified as the majority of men. If a woman can do the same work that a man can do and do it just as well, she should have the same pay."

How is that for forward thinking!
:)Marie

o

Hmmm....Makes you wonder just how much of the stuff you read online is acurate, doesn't it?? I was researching "history of wyoming" on ASK.COM, and it brought up a summary of the counties' history...and mentioned Buffalo Bill in Goshen. Maybe he just visited....or hid out from the law....! LOL

Okay, one more guess, and then I"ll let someone else take a stab.
I'll say "Park" because that's where Yellowstone is located.
Uh...unless ASK is wrong about that, too! :O)

o

Mon, Aug 4, 08 at 21:19

Hi Marie,
I'm guessing you were born in the county Laramie is located in, Albany. I'm guessing this since it is the place where the first woman voted.
I would think Buffalo Bill would say something like that since Annie Oakley was his big star. He had to of been a good guy or she would of shot him, LOL!
About the Botanical Gardens, you know I couldn't forget you all : )

Melissa,
Glad you join the swap : )
Remy

o

Melissa & Remy,

Not Park or Albany... Buffalo Bill hunted buffalo for the Army & did his Wild West show all over this area. There can be information found in all the territories about him. I am betting that some of them you probably don't want you children reading about and a few run ins with the law! hehehehe

FYI ......

Park County - President Theodore Roosevelt proclaimed Yellowstone as the first National Park in the world, on March 1, 1872. To see live updates of Old Faithful Geyser go to: http://www.nps.gov/archive/yell/oldfaithfulcam.htm

Albany County - Wyoming Territorial Prison ~ built in 1872, now a showpiece of the National Historic Register. During its use as a federal penal facility (1872 to 1903), more than 1,000 men and 12 women served sentences. When Wyoming became a state, a new penal institution was built in Rawlins and the prison was turned over to the University of Wyoming for use as an experimental stock farm.

I had forgot about the LOST CABIN MINE. When I was small, a friends Mom & Dad's ranch was partly in Natrona county. Every time I would visit for about 2 summers, her Mom would fix us a picnic and we would take the saddle horse's off through the prairie trying to find it! We never did find even so much as an old coin but we explored every cave & canyon for miles... LOL

There are 23 county's in Wyoming. Remy and Melissa have guessed 4 so that leaves 19...

My computer is acting up & I am borrowing a few minutes in another offfice. I will try to check back during the day.
Marie

o

Hmmmm...."Stinking Water Valley"?! LOL!! Oh, my. That has to be a fun place!! :O)
Like I said, I"m having fun here, Marie! Learning alot about Buffalo Bill! Much to be admired about that man. Taking care of orphans & women. :O)

I'll guess Big Horn county. But really...he DID go all over the place! :O)

o

I'm a newbie and was wondering if I can join in or is this a "members only"? It sounds great!

Joan

o

Joan ~ The leaders will have to answer your question. Lady Leaders!! where are you? :)

Nope ~ not Big Horn either. Although that is where my x-husbands is from... Beautiful county and the only place in Wyoming I have ever lived that the wind doesn't blow 90+ all the time!

Keep guessing - some of you other ladies need to join in too!

Marie

o

Helloooooooooo..... Where is everyone???

Okay maybe a hint to help out.

This county begins with my fathers first name.

Marie

o

Marie~ Is it maybe Johnson county?

You're right, it is very slow on GW lately! I don't know if everyone is on vacation (wow, how I wish! I've never EVER had one of those!!) or just vegging in front of the AC & TV! :O)

o

Yes, it is Johnson county ~ Melissa is the winner!

FYI ~

~Hole-in-the-Wall Country~
My home town of Kaycee, has a rich history involving the famous outlaws, Robert LeRoy Parker aka Butch Cassidy, the Sundance Kid and the rest of the Hole-in-the-Wall gang, aka The Wild Bunch. The 'outlaw cave' where this legendary group of men hid out from the law is about 25 miles from our family ranches. Butch Cassidy also had a ranch near Patagonia, Argentina , where my Grandfather, Roy Garrett met and work for him as a young man in his late teen's and early 20's. Mr. Parker, gave my Grandfather a 'letter-of-introduction' to the 'Wyoming Territory' in the late 1800's. After Grandpa Roy became established, he purchased the 'KC' brand from John Nolan whom was the first homesteader in the local territory. The brand is still in the family, 4 generations and counting. For more information on my home town and its colorful history visit these web sites: http://www.kayceewyoming.org/history.html, http://www.kayceewyoming.org/http://www.wyomingbnb-ranchrec.com/History.ButchCassidy.html

~Ellen Watson aka 'Cattle Kate' ~
was long portrayed as an outlaw and prostitute. She was hung for these alleged crimes, at the beginning of the Johnson County range war.http://www.legendsofamerica.com/WE-CattleKate.html

~Johnson County War ~
In the beginning, property and water rights were usually respected among big and small ranches based on who was first to settle the land and the size of the herd. However, as more and more homesteaders moved into the region, some of the large ranches banded together to monopolize large areas of the open range in order to prevent newcomers from settling. During the summer drought and harsh winter of 1886-1887 many cattle died and rustling was at an all time high. The large rancher's began to aggressively appropriate land where they controlled the water supplies and excluded the smaller ranchers from participating in the annual roundup.The cattle baron's hired 50 known Texan gunfighters and killers and set out from Cheyenne on their way to Buffalo, to settle these matters once and for all. Just south of the river bridge on the KC Ranch, by present day Kaycee, Nate Champion and Nick Ray, were the first known killings by these "regulators. In the end, many more were killed before the Calvery from Fort McKinney interfered. The 'regulators' and the powerful cattle barons, contacted the Governor in Cheyenne and to this day, no one has been held accountable for these actions. http://www.legendsofamerica.com/wy-johnsoncountywar.html

Kaycee was also the home of the late Chris LeDoux, country music singer and NFR Bareback Champion.

I will send out your Iris Monday, with the way the heat is right now, I don't want it in transport any longer than neccessary.

Thanks for playing and letting me brag about my state! It is truely a great state and had many first in our nation.
Marie

o

Wed, Aug 6, 08 at 22:17

Congrats Melissa!

Marie,
I learned a lot! Your state has a very colorful history.
Are you going to post who is sending to who soon?

Where is everyone?
I hope you all are just having fun with your families and in your gardens.
Remy

o

Wow! I won! Thank you, Marie!! :O)
I had fun trying to guess....and searching up history on all those counties.

Wait, wait...the "late" Chris LeDoux?? REALLY??? I did not know he passed!! Oh My Goodness, I've been living under a rock! Good grief!!

We're getting rain today!! YAY!! Big, fat thunderstorm type rain!! Oh, it's so wonderful to be able to open the windows and give the AC a break! And just to think....a month or 2 ago, I was complaining about having TOO MUCH rain! lol

Remy~ I have been harvesting some tomatoes that you sent me seeds for last year. They are yummy & gorgeous! But I can't remember the name....Does Black Carbon sound right?? They are a purple-ish color. It's funny, but NO ONE else around here has been able to keep their tomatoes alive, and no plants are producing...but these are! I wonder if it's because everyone else bought their plants?

Melissa

o

Good morning!

Remy,
thanks and anytime you want to come visit, let me know. I would be more than happy to give you a tour :)

Melissa,
Yes, Chris passed a couple years ago. He had a liver transplant but it didn't work as well as they had hoped :(
Rain? wow, send some to me -our storms keep going around my house. 10 miles north recieved 2 inches and 3 inches of hail the other day ~ glad I missed the hail! All the gardens and corn feilds are stripped bare...

My expermental tomatoes are just starting to produce. Orange, yellow and red - it would be fun to put purple ones in the mix for next year but I have never grown them from seed. Is it hard?

I recieved 6 new Gilbert H Wild - Iris! Champane Elegance, Painted Cloud, Joan Senior, and I can't think of the other 3. I was giving them a quick drink this morning since I fell asleep early last night and didn't get it done after planting them. I grew a Purple Datura & a couple Easter Egg plants from seed this spring - The datura isn't doing so well but my Eggs are getting HUGE! My daughter wants to start dyeing them tonight but I think we will wait about one more week. I will post pictures when we do.

I will be thinking of a new game for next week and posting partners on Monday morning also. I don't remember how many are in our group but this will give everyone a couple more days to think about it.

Marie

o

Thu, Aug 7, 08 at 19:05

Melissa,
We are having a huge thunderstorm here right now! Coming down in buckets!!
Carbon is correct! It is one of my favorites. It does well no matter what the weather, and I'm so glad to see it is doing great for you too.

I have never heard of Chris LeDoux or the NFR, lol. These things are not big around here.

Marie,
You got some nice iris!
I think starting tomatoes from seed is easy. Of course you need to check them every day and pet them. Lol, yes, I said pet them. It simulates wind and helps them grow stronger since they have to grow inside for at least 6 weeks. If you don't have a really sunny window or garden/greenhouse window though, you need lights. If you can fill those requirements, it is simple. Plus you can grow better tasting/better suited to you tomatoes.
You never know about stopping by. My father drove around the whole US once, and I would love to do the same one day.
Remy

o

Still Going strong here Have been busy with Makeovers here in my flowerbeds I will or hope to have pictures later when it is done right now all is torn up .

when I'm not in the garden then it is off to do errands for others & myself just a busy time .

marie here is a list of members some maybe missing & some may no longer be with the group just don't know but maybe this might help you .

Hope everyone has a great weekend
susie

Amybabyboy
Beth_b_Kodiak
Brittneysgran
Debbya
Dirtundermynails
Earthly Delight
Hazelnutbunny
Ilovefarac
lil green thumb
LLbean
Lunamoon
Mellen
Missg
Momcat
Nyvoices99
Raggedyann
Remy
Sandlapper Rose
Sassyd
Squanzon
Skohler
Theresa24
Veeja11
Vic_z5
Wynative

o

Thanks for the list Susie!! Maybe this will help me keep everything in some kind of order.

Amybabyboy - No
Beth_b_Kodiak - Undecided
Brittneysgran -?????
Debbya - Yes
Dirtundermynails - No
Earthly Delight -?????
Hazelnutbunny - Yes
Ilovefarac -?????
lil green thumb -?????
LLbean -?????
Lunamoon -?????
Mellen - No
Missg - Yes
Momcat -?????
Nyvoices99 -?????
Raggedyann -?????
Remy - Yes
Sandlapper Rose - No
Sassyd -?????
Squanzon -?????
Skohler - No
Theresa24 - ?????
Veeja11 - Yes
Wynative - Yes, I am in :)

I am showing off my Easter Egg Plant:
Purple Datura

And some EGGS!
Easter Egg Plant

My daughter and I will be dyeing them on the 23rd - we need to let a few more get bigger so that the kids on the school bus can see them :)

Marie

o

That's so neat, Marie! My kids would LOVE that!
Um...question, though...and probably a stupid one..LOL...
HOW do you dye those?? Like you dye celery? Or do you just dye them like regular eggs??

Told ya it was one of those DUH! questions!! LOL

o

Not a dumb question at all.

All I do is put several drops of food coloring in a paper cup, a tbls of vinegar and some warm water. Then gently submerge 'egg' & wait until it is the desired color and TADA! Do this with several different colors to give your plant lots of personality :)

It is best to have another big person to help because my back gets sore from bending over and I get tired of laying on the ground LOL

Marie

o

Marie, wow! what a unique idea. Sorry hon, but I won't be participating this time. I mentioned it on the around the 7th post down.

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o

ejmoore if you would like to join our happy group please e-mail me at veeja3@wmconnect.com I guess I need an updated list also. I am not sure about lunamoon, llbean,lil green thumb and theresa24 does anyone know the status of these members ? so I can make an updated list. Gotta show off my kids. sorry for posting a pic but here is the nine of themPhotobucket they are eating food now so I get to share in the mommy work. didn't have to bottle feed any. tiyli is an excellent mommy. can't wait to get my partner. how are you doing lil sis ? is baby gettin big ? kicking yet ?tell me all about her. hugs carol

o

Count us in on the trade! Sounds like fun! Jay & Rhonda

o

Stopping in to say hello to everyone. We had some days around 100 during the week but this weekend will not be quite so hot. We are finally getting some rain - maybe once a week or every 10 days, but just thankful for some rainfall.
I am not spending much time outside. I got stung several times by a hornet or some other "bee" earlier in the week and was that ever painful. Always getting mosquito bites, too, and I do not do well with those either. Just waiting for fall...will love to get some cooler temperatures.
Anyway, I love to watch the Olympics so that will keep me busy for awhile.
Marie, you are sure keeping us entertained with all the trivia about Wyoming. I have been stopping in to read what you post. Thanks!
Jeanne

o

Sorry to be away so long. My parents came down to visit and tore apart my kitchen for a remodel. We are still in the midst of the chaos and I go back to work on Monday. So I will have to skip the August swap. You all have fun!

Yes, Carol, I'm still in the group. Just been busy these last few weeks.

Theresa

o

Just stopping in to say hello

o

I posted back on 8/3 - yep I'm in for this month

o

Jay and Rhonda, you have to be a member of bloomin friends to be in this swap. if you wish to join the group, please e-mail me or brittneysgram. my e-mail is right above your post. we would love to have you.
happy gardening
carol

o

I am hoping someone in the group can tell me what to do after you harvest cayenne peppers. Someone sent me a cayenne pepper plant in a swap and it has done great and I have picked one pepper and have more to pick soon. Do I let it dry and then crush it to make a spice? I am hesitant to even cut into it because I have read about not rubbing your eyes after touching hot peppers, etc. I grow sweet bell peppers, but the hot peppers are new to me... so help me out!
Jeanne

P.S. Cute puppies, Carol, and lots of them!

o

First, I hope you didn't plant the cayenne pepper close to your bell peppers. They can cross pollinate.

There's actually a couple of ways to dry cayenne peppers. I was raised in SW Louisiana, so I tend to do it the way most there do- take a heavy needle and heavy duty thread though the stems and make a loop out of them, then just hang them some where in a dry place. Another method, if you don't have a dehydrator, is to lay them out on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven on the lowest setting the oven will register. This will provide a gentle drying and is much faster than hanging, but you'll lose some of the color. I like to check mine and turn them if they look like they are roasting or the skin bubbling. Though at times I do do fully roasted cayenne to use in some stir-fry dishes or as a garnish. Once they are dry, you can grind them up like any other spice or even use them whole.

I also like to pickle them, my kids (Cajuns on their father's side as opposed to a transplant raised there like me, with the palates to match) like to pour a little of the vinegar into beans or onto cooked greens. After the vinegar is gone, you can either use the peppers in dishes or just add more vinegar. The peppers don't lose their kick this way. You can also grind or chop them, add a little vinegar and make homemade hot sauce.

As far as touching them, yes, the juices are oily and will spread, so to chop them I would either use some housecleaning gloves or just go ahead and chop them then wash your hands very well afterwards. I usually add a drop of vinegar and a sprinkle of baking soda to the soap to help cut the oils and remove then "acids" from my hands throughly.

My apologies for butting into your thread without being an OBF member, but cayenne peppers are one thing I'm very familiar with. Doing my own provides me with much better quality pepper than store bought. And in this house we use a LOT.

Kathy

o

Thanks for all the details, Kathy. I only have one ripe one so far so I guess I am just concerned what to do with them if I have a dozen or so. The only time we have used cayenne pepper was using the spice and we mixed it with non-toxic glue and coated boards with it to keep our puppy and our horses from chewing on the wood. That works pretty well!
My bell peppers are nearby although all of my peppers are in containers so I will move the cayenne pepper to the other side of the house to avoid some cross pollination.
You were a big help.
Jeanne

o

Thanks for the handwashing tips, Kathy!! I use jalapenos constantly, and have tried different ways of getting the acids off my hands...but nothing ever works! And I hate using gloves, it's so hard to cut anything (except the end of my fingers...! lol).
I learned the hard way to wear my glasses the day I"m cutting peppers....I stupidly removed my contacts one night after cutting peppers for salsa...OWWWWWWW!!!!! Thought I'd go blind!! :O)

o

Glad the info was helpful :) A lot of people say to use milk as a way to cut the capsaicin (the oily acids). But as expensive as milk is, I can't see the waste. But if you're finding that the hand soap ( I usually use dish liquid for the oil cutting capabilities) with the vinegar and baking soda aren't working well, use the milk. Some people's hands may absorb it deeper than other's (especially with drier skin that soaks up oils and moisture) Just be careful because capsaicin can cause blistering burns if left on your skin in a high enough concentration. When using the soap/vinegar/baking soda, I will make a paste and rub it into my hands and let it sit a few minutes before adding water to lather up and rinse off, breaking down the oil so I can wash it off. I do this because the water will just sheet over the oils and leave them on my skin.

And always be careful to not inhale the powder after you've ground it. It can burn and blister your mucus membranes in the eyes, nose and mouth. I use a small mini chopper/food processor for this. That way I can make sure it gets really fine. Other folks use a coffee grinder that's kept specifically for grinding peppers. When pouring it from the grinder into a jar, I use a wide mouthed, deep funnel that I can put the whole mouth of the grinder into. Putting the grinder container into the wide mouth of the funnel before turning it over helps keep the powder from wafting up into the air. I will often also put a towel over my hand after getting the container into the funnel to catch any that escapes.

Sounds like a lot of work to be safe, I know. But those precautions have kept me from ever being burned or inhaling the powers. And kept me kids, who like to help, from being hurt.

Oh, and another way to do the peppers is to roast them and then add to olive oil. Canning them this way flavors the oil to use for cooking or drizzling on salads.

Thus ends handling hot peppers 101 :P Hope it helps!

Kathy- returning to lurker status.

o

Good morning!

Here is the list of partners

Missg sends to Debbya
Debbya sends to Hazelnutbunny
Hazelnutbunny sends to Remy
Remy sends to Squanzon
Squanzon sends to Veeja11
Veeja11 sends to Wynative
Wynative sends to Missg

Please ask your partner for their address if you do not have it - I will need yours Missg, thanks. Be sure to have these sent out by the 18th or let me & your partner know if there is a problem.

I will post this weeks game later and the prize :)
Marie

o

Yay! I get to send to Remy!

o

Week #2 Game -

This is a quiz about cottage garden flowers. The first lady to get them all or the most correct by Friday, will recieve this Daylily & anual seeds from one of my other garden flowers:

Siloam June Bug
SiloamJuneBug

1. The polyanthus is closely related to another charming flower. Which is it?

a. pansy
b. primrose
c. violet
d. rose

2. One of the following flowers has the old country nickname of "heartsease". Which is it?

a. tulip
b. lily
c. pansy
d. rose

3. There is a pretty little flower that shares its name with a musical instrument. Which is it?

a. drumflower
b. viola
c. harp flower
d. flutewood

4. If you wanted a bouquet of red, white, and blue, which of the following bunches could you not choose?

a. Poppies, daisies and cornflowers
b. All polyanthus
c. Violets, salvia and lobelia
d. All roses

5. Which of the following flowers changes colour from blue to pink according to the amount of acid in the soil?

a. roses
b. hydrangea
c. daisies
d. marigolds

6. Honesty is a lovely flower. Its blooms are followed by round silvery pods that give it its alternative name of "money flower". Most honesty flowers are purple, but some can also be -?

a. white or purple and white striped
b. pink
c. only white
d. red

7. Some flower names can be used for girl children, but there are a few that could be adapted for a boy. Which of the following does not come into this category?

a. Ragged Robin
b. Jolly James
c. Herb Robert
d. Sweet William

8. There is a flower with a charming name that makes me think of Christmas. However, it doesn't bloom in December. What is it?

a. Star of Bethlehem
b. Christmas Bush
c. Santa's Bells
d. Carolianthus

9. Which of the following flowers once caused a huge panic and made many people bankrupt?

a. carnation
b. tulip
c. marygold
d. love-lies-bleeding

10. Here is a delightful flower that has a real name reminding me of eagles, and two common names that sound like items of clothing. Is it -

a. Aquilla, jockey cap, tutu flower
b. Eagling, lady's slipper, laces-and-frills
c. Eagletta, blue bonnet, scarfia
d. Aquilegia, hooped petticoat, granny's bonnet

11. Buttercups are beautiful yellow flowers that are usually classed as weeds. However, they have an upmarket relative that is a welcome guest in the cottage garden. What is it?

a. aquilegia
b. ranunculus
c. dianthus
d. gypsophila

12. This flower is available in several colours, and has one of the sweetest scents around. It is usually grown in pots rather than out in the garden. Its name is Greek, and it is the namesake of a gay character out of Greek myth.

a. violet
b. narcissus
c. hyacinth
d. oleander

13. This is a flower with a name that is the same as its most common colour.

a. rose
b. violet
c. turquoise
d. orange

14. Wallflowers are delightful, flowering in winter and adding a sweet scent to their velvety blooms. The word has a secondary meaning, as it used to be used to denote a girl who had not been asked to dance at a ball. But do you know why the wallflower was so named?

a. Its name originally meant "foreign flower"
b. It was named after the unfortunate girls, because its flowers reminded people of velvet ballgowns
c. It grows best up against brick walls
d. It is named after the German botanist Hermann Wallfleuger

15. The rose, beloved of many gardeners, is related to a well-known pie ingredient. What is it?

a. pumpkins
b. blackberries
c. rhubarb
d. cloves

Melissa - your Iris will be going out tomorrow, I got home late and didnt' get it dug.

Carol - Love, love, love your puppies!!! How fun to have so many at one time LOL

Time to put your thinking caps on & have fun!
Marie

o

I get to send to Melissa! ;)

Hugs,
Deb

o

Hi Marie and all, So glad that you did not wait for me to reappear to assign partners.
I got back yesterday afternoon from Yellowstone and plan to leave tomprrow for a couple days in Teluride.
Found out that my next job will start in early September so I want to get a lot of site seeing done in the next ten days. Good thing I worked a bunch of extra time back in May and June so I can be free now.
Marie, I loved Yellowstone and got a lot of awesome pictures. I love the open ranges and areas of BLM land. I think I'm living in the wrong century & should have been around before barbed wire.
Anyone ever been to "The Revil's Rope" museum?
Hope you all have a terrific swap and I'll check in to see what everyone gets.
PS, my experimental tomatoes are finally getting some fruit too. I had one ripe "Black Prince" and it was SOOOOOO good.
Beth B

o

Marie, I will need your addy, I found some great g sale goodies for you. we have some newbies needing to set up trades. they should be posting soon. please help them out.last saturday I had to deliver flowers and pass up all those juicy g sale signs, it hurt. enjoy everyone. Beth did you find my bumper sticker ?hugs carol

o

Mon, Aug 11, 08 at 20:44

Hi All,
Hope everyone has been well! What weekend I had. My one brother had a birthday party, and what a party! He has his backyard all set up with tents. A professional musician played guitar and sang. He had guys bartending. My father had an outdoor kitchen going with wings, clams, hotdogs, etc. It rained, but it was still a great time.
It has been raining a lot here. I think I need to build an ark, lol. I hope people who needed it are getting some of the rain.

I'm glad I'm send to Sue. I've got some good stuff for her!

Kathy,
Thanks for the pepper tips. I'm going to try the baking soda and vinegar when I do my pepper canning.

Susie,
With all the flowerbed makeovers, I hope your not overdoing it!! Looking forward to pics though : )

Marie,
Coloring the "eggs" is a great idea. I think it would be a good way to get the kids to eat eggplant too.

Carol,
I can't believe Tiyli had 9 puppies! They look very cute.

Jeanne,
So sorry about the multiple stings!! I feel pain just reading about it. I'm glad you are finally getting rain.

Theresa,
Parents and a kitchen remodel! I know how chaotic a remodel is, but it will be so nice once it is done. Did you take before pics so you can show us when it is done?

Gale,
Glad you stopped by. Hope all is well : )

Beth,
Glad you stopped by too. A ripe tomato!! Yea! Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. I've never been west of Cinncinati, so no I've not been to "The Revil's Rope" museum, lol.
Remy

o

Hello everyone...it seems like forever since I got to post last. My job is still working me to death. I actually have extra money in the bank, I was shocked then I remembered I have been nowhere to spend money. I don't even go out to lunch anymore, no time.

Marie-I love your easter egg plant. Can you start those from seeds? If so please save me some. Sorry I missed the sign up for your swap. It is so dry here I probably couldn't get the shovel under the plants anyway. I started the sprinklers Saturday morning and watered until dark. Both wells have been heavily used this year.

Carol-Your puppies are adorable. I love little puppies.

Remy-Please send some of your rain. Need badly.

Beth-So good to see you on the thread. I envy you in all this traveling. I love going to places I have not been before. No I haven't been to "The Revil's Rope" museum either. Will have to google it and see what's there.

We are now in our August swap and this is our list for the rest of the year.

SEPTEMBER-APRIL (dirt_under_my_nails)'FOR THE BIRDS'
OCTOBER-JEANNE (sandlapper_rose)'THE SECRET HAUNTED GARDEN'
NOVEMBER-MARY ELLEN (mellen)
DECEMBER-

This is the last member list that I had..need to look at Carol's and see if we match.

OUR MEMBER LIST

Amybabyboy
Beth_b_Kodiak
Brittneysgran
Cedarnest
Debbya
Dirtundermynails
Earthly Delight
Hazelnutbunny
Ilovefarac
lil green thumb
LLbean
Lunamoon
Mellen
Missg
Momcat
Nyvoices99
Raggedyann
Remy
Sandlapper Rose
Squanzon
Skohler
Susandonb
Theresa24
Veeja11
Wynative

Shirley

o

I'm still on the run here but I see I made a big goof.
That is Devil's rope not Revils.
Maybe it makes more sense that way.
Carol No "bumer stickers" Not even different than you requested. Sorry.
Hugs to all
Beth

o

A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows.
- Doug Larson

So true ~ I have more weeds now than I have had all summer! The only flowers known to woman than can survive with no care what so ever.... grrrr

Carol - don't worry about getting me anything - a puppy will be fine! LOL they are so darn cute. I had to stop at our local vet yesterday to get some med's for our barn kittys. While I was there a lady came to pick up her Silky Terrier Mom and 4 new babies - OMG they were soooo tiny (5 days old) and sounded just like kittens. I told her that I would be happy to take one home and had feed it but she didn't think that was a good idea :(

Shirley ~ yes I grew the Eggs from seed. I will send you some as soon as they are ready. Please send me your address.
TIPS FOR BULBS IN AUGUST:

Divide older Bearded Iris rhisomes. Cut out the woody parts and replant the rest.

Plant fall crocuses now and crown imperials from now until October.

Add several inches of mulch to Asiatic lilies. This will keep the roots cool, protect them from heat and deter weed growth.

Watch your gladiolus carefully those with heavy blooms may require staking.

Dig up your ranunculus and anemone to store for the winter if you haven't already done so. In warmer zones they can be left in the ground. Just apply a light mulch in fall.

In late August you can dig up overcrowded lily-of-the-valley bulbs that grew poorly. Gently separate each plant and replant individually.

Marie

o

Marie, I need your addy, and I don't think a puppy would mail well. We have people trying to set up a trade so they can join our group, please check out their thread, and do a trade if you can. thankyou
waiting on a tomato to ripen
carol

o

Carol,

Sorry, I thought I had emailed you yesterday... Anyway :) I just sent you the info!

Where is everyone? must be super busy! I picked my first zuccini and will be able to pick yellow crock neck by Friday! I like to put them in vinegar and a few spices for about an hour, then grill them. YUMMY! I have 3 cucumbers that are about an inch long :) I didn't get anything planted till the end of June - cold weather, late freezes and laziness... but I will get a few things and they are so worth the wait.

Beth,
I alway thought I was born about 100 years to late myself! Glad you are enjoying your vacation - Please share your pictures :)

Maire

o

I have been busy with the homeschooling - that started Monday. Ugh, I had forgotten just how much I hate science!! :O)

Marie~ I've been looking up the answers for the quiz as I have time. I won't post any answers, though, since I won the last game! I'm just doing it because I found the questions interesting, and honestly had no clue about half of them!

It's been cool & rainy here for the last 5 days or so, so I will be able to send Miss Remy's box out on Friday. I know that's right before the weekend, but I don't have time any other day...and I think everything I'll be sending should be just fine with an extra day in the PO........I hope......! :O)
If not, Remy knows where I live. LOL

Melissa

o

Wed, Aug 13, 08 at 22:05

Hi All,
I've got some good news. Gary went and called the SPCA about a dog that was in the "Leash on Life" program(fostering at a home) because Sammie hasn't been the same since Creton died, and Gary of course too. We went to meet the dog and Sammie was so happy!! We of course brought him home. He is a very good dog. Here he is, Charlie.
Charlie
I've started calling him Pretty Boy because of his eyes.

The tomatoes are starting to ripen here. Yummy! In the past few days we've had BLTs, pizza with tomato slices instead of sauce, tomato salad, etc. I wonder how long it will be before I'm sick of them, lol.

Shirley,
So sorry to hear you are working so hard! I sure hope things settle down and you have time to go shopping for plants with that extra cash : )
I wish I could send you all my extra rain.

Marie,
Zucchini another yummy veggie! Glad yours are starting to produce.
I'm surprised no one has answered your questions for a prize! I've won a few so I figure I wouldn't take a stab at it.

Melissa,
Lol, I'll hunt you down : ) Just kidding, I know it will be fine because it will be here Monday. That is a good day for me because I will be home. Gary is having oral surgery and will be heavily medicated.
Remy

o

Oh, Remy! He has the most gorgeous eyes!! Such a cutie! :O)

o

Remy - such a sweet face and I agree, when I looked into his eyes, I fell in love - he is a Pretty Boy!

Melissa ~ I sent out your Iris & seeds on Tuesday - forgot to tell you...

5 more days and I get my vision corrected! This is a heads up about next week ~ I am having Lasic's done on the 19th, so I will be MIA for 3 days. (19th, 20th & 21st) I will be out of town and the motel doesn't have internet access - yes, with the cost of my surgery I am staying in a 1* motel... LOL

A storm out of Canada is here and the high for the next 3 days is only to be 72 with lots of rain! It is kind-of chilly this morning but my Morning Glorys & Moon Flowers are loving it...
Good Morning Sunshine!
Good Morning Sunshine!

Marie

o

Yay Marie on the Lasic! Everything will go well and you'll be back with us quickly! I'll keep you in my prayers! Those MGs and moonflowers are gorgeous!

Remy, that fella has the most beautiful eyes! Are you going to just foster him or planning to adopt?

Not part of this group, but I thought it would be fun to research the answers to Marie's trivia quiz. I actually think I have all the answers right too, but I'll have to wait til Marie gives them to be sure. LOL, might just email them to you, Marie, just to find out of I passed the test! That is really a lovely Daylily, ladies! And seeds too!? Not to mention doing the research on the quiz was fun! I learned one or two things that I didn't know and found a really enchanting story during my search about the Honesty plant.

But seeing that gorgeous daylily makes me wish I were part of this group and could win the prize! LOL!

Kathy

o

It is RAINING!!! Yes, it is true, it started last night about 9:00 and it is still coming down :) I have real puddles in my yard! I do have to admit that I am not that excited about having to drive the 1/2 mile of mud to get home tonight as it is suppose to keep coming till sometime tomorrow. But this is perfect timing since I will be gone next week and not able to water every day. I do believe that I acually heard my trees gulping it up at about midnight hehehe Oh, I stopped at a place here in town yesterday looking for some plant type stuff - no luck, stupid small towns ;) but I got a great deal on a Sumac Tree! it is about 4' tall and only $6.00!!

Has anyone been watching the Olympic's? I don't usually get to as it is on so late here but this year it starts at 6:00pm and I am loosing sleep since it doesn't end till after midnight. I have mostly been watching the swimming, gymnastics and some volley ball. Go USA!!

Hi Kathy! Thanks for the thoughts and prayers on my Lasic's. I am way more excited about it than nervous right now but I am sure that will change when the time comes :)

Marie

o

Marie...let me get this straight....you PAID $$$ for a SUMAC TREE??? Oh my goodness! I can't believe that!! I have TONS of those things growing here! They are horrible weeds in our area. Have them by the hundreds! The kids & I are highly allergic to their berries & sap. Alot of people are, in fact.
I've seen some newer housing developments use them in their landscaping...and the entire time, I'm thinking...WOW, We brush hog those things all the time, and here people actually WANT them?!
Very strange, indeed!! :O)

I received my package from you today, also! Thanks so much! I've got the iris planted & it's raining now, so it should be nice & settled in.

Remy~ I did get your package shipped today. Here's your DC# 0308 0730 0001 0937 6313
Please let me know how everything makes it! :O)

Melissa
(who STILL can't get over someone actually BUYING a sumac tree!!!) lol!

o

remy what a pretty new family member, must have ausie or husky blood. Marie your box is on its way conf # 03080730000067924397 hope you like it how do I get my lil paws on some of those easter egg plant seeds ? Rhonda and Jay are completing two trades so I will need a big sis for them soon. voulunteers please. Beth didn't have any luck finding my bumper sticker so if anyone sees one that says protect your right to arm bears. I'll pay good bucks for it. hugs carol

o

Sat, Aug 16, 08 at 8:29

Thanks everyone! Charlie has been so good. I'm glad we got him.
Kathy,
We are keeping him, not fostering. I'm not sure I could foster. I would want to keep all the animals.

Marie,
Good luck with the lasik. I'm sure you are excited to be able to see without glasses especially when you get up in the morning. It sounds so weird to me having to go out of town to get something like that done. I'm not sure I could live that far from everything like you do.
I'm glad you are getting much needed rain!

Melissa,
Your reminding me of when I was telling my father that people pay good money for things that grow like weeds for him at his place, lol. He just couldn't believe it. It really is all about location I guess.

Carol,
I've never seen a protect your right to arm bears sticker, but I will keep a look out. I did see one on a car recently that said Practice Random Acts of Gardening!
Remy

o

Big Sis~ There are many websites that you can go to & design your own bumper sticker. You can get them in any size, shape, color...even magnetic, if you prefer that! They don't cost much (between $2-5 each) and they are really good quality. I've gotten bunches of them that way.
Just do a google or ask.com search on "custom bumper stickers" and it will bring up a lot of different websites for you.

Here's one website I used recently, they had a pretty good price & some cute design templates.

Here is a link that might be useful: Make Stickers

o

Hi Ladies
sorry about being MIA But I have trully been very busy with my flowerbeds , helpping a friend with her garage sale . No time for trades right now But Hope you all Have a great time. got the hick-ups so i have got to get off here :)

chat soon
susie

o

Sat, Aug 16, 08 at 23:44

Marie, I'm going to take a shot at the answers to your questions. Here goes:
1b, 2c, 3b, 4d, 5b, 6c, 7b, 8a, 9b, 10d, 11b, 12b, 13b, 14b, 15b
I know they are not all correct, but I had fun looking these up tonight!

Remy-I have fallen in love with your dog. What do you know about him?

Carol-got your check awhile back. Will cash it soon. Thanks!!! Cute puppies, too.

We continue to get timely rains. Didn't have to water once this season. That is a first! Would love to share if I could.

Bunny-I admire you for homeschooling your kids. How are you feeling, btw?

School starts Monday for me with the kids on Wednesday. Excited to see the kids but not all the paperwork.
Mary Ellen/Mellen

o

Well, I will try this again. I am having a hard time getting my post to work... Big long post 2 different times and nothing :(

Mellen,
Congratulations! you are the winner of the June Bug DL and I will check you list for seeds to send.

answers:
1.b 2.c 3.b 4.d 5.b 6.a 7.b 8.a 9.b10.d 11.b 12.c 13.b 14.a 15.b

Melissa,
I love Sumac's and they do well here. With our winters it is hard to find fast growing shade trees and these are pretty also. I also buy and plant Lantana every year :) A lady from CA saw them in my flower beds and freaked - but they are annuals here and so pretty.

Remy,
I have always lived in small towns and it is FUN having to go somewhere to have things done or go shopping! When I was younger, having a doctors' appointment was about the only one on one time I got to spend with my parents - 16 siblings make it hard to get attention :) My daughter and I always make our trips into something special - but now that she is a teen they are getting kind of pricey!!

Carol,
Thanks for letting me know.

FYI:
honeybee
To make one pound of honey, bees must tap 2 million flowers. WOW!! Give's new meaning to 'Busy as a Bee'!

Marie

o

Gardening is medicine that does not need a prescription ... and with no limit on dosage.
- Author unknown

Since I will be gone for a few days, I am posting 2 questions. The winner's/winner (how ever answers correctly, first) will recieve 'No Name' Iris - call them what ever you want LOL
daisy named rose
Week #3
America's oldest seed company is...

A. Burpee

B. Ferry-Morse

C. Park Seed

and

My middle name begins with an 'E', what is it?
Carol,
I recieved my box today - Thank you for all the wonderful things! Carol sent me LOTS of plant markers' - these are great, no maybe I wont loose so many names :) She also sent me many kinds of seeds, a kitchen sprout starter kit, several garden style nic-nac's, a nail kit & all different kinds of polish. These are very much welcomed! My daughter was complaining that my polishes were old and that we needed new ones LOL

Gail - your box will go out this afernoon - but... 2 of the Iris don't have names on them. I forgot to write them in and the list is at home. I will email them to you Friday when I get back but if I forget to, PLEASE remind me!

Have a great week ladies and I will be back on Friday,
Marie

o

Mon, Aug 18, 08 at 15:56

Hi All,
My box came! I got a great box from Melissa! In it was:
Box of Bloom Booster Miracle Grow
Bulb Trowel
Twisty long Christmas Ornaments-Melissa, that is a great idea to use them outside!
50 Jiffy Pellets- Thank You!
Cherry scented Deodorizer
Healing Garden Organics Wild Honey Lotion
Burt's Bees Lip Balm
Honey Pure Spring Green Apple Lip Gloss- Did you know I am addicted to lip gloss?
Sudoku puzzles
A Lady Bug Mosaic votive holder from Home Interiors- it is a good sized table piece, not a little holder
Plus the following plants!
Pink Asiatic Lilies
Pineapple Swirl Daylily
Betsy Boo Iris
Cherry Garden Iris

Thanks So Much Melissa! It was a wonderful bargain box : )

Gary's Dental Surgery went well this morning. His face is a bit swollen, but he is ok.

Mellen,
Congrats!
Charlie came from Ohio. The owner of him supposedly gave him up because he bowled over his two year old grandkid. If this is true, the owner was an idiot. Charlie is a sweet dog and wouldn't hurt a fly on purpose, but you don't let a rambunctious puppy loose around little kids. I know Charlie was in 2 foster homes here. I'm not sure why he went to the foster homes instead of the shelter unless his experience in an Ohio shelter first was bad. The first home here didn't do a good job of controlling him. The second home did. He is a wonderful dog who loves to play. That is why he is doing well here. Sammie needs to play as much as him.

Marie,
16! Wow! That is a lot. One of my best friends came from a family of 13, so I can understand about time with the parents alone.
Talk to you all later,
Remy

o

Remy, Charlie is so cute and I'm glad he got such a good home. Happy for Sammie, too! We have a half-starved hunting breed type of dog that turned up on our property while we were gone for this past weekend. He is leary of people and won't let us get our hands on him, but he comes out to sniff and and wag his tail when my dog is out there. Yes, I am giving him some food and water. I guess if I can manage to touch him and get a leash on him after a few days I can make some further decisions at that point. (I try not to feed animals who just "show up" and then maybe they will go home, but this dog has settled into a pinestraw nest in our woods and he is not going anywhere.) We had a cat that claimed us like that maybe 5-6 years ago. We told him he didn't live here, but he wouldn't take no for an answer. The worst part was that the cat we had at that time was scared of the stray cat and the two of them never did get along.
Whoever asked about watching the Olympics, I love to watch it! I love both the summer and the winter Olympics. Wish they had them every year!
Hope everyone's garden is doing okay. Mine is doing a bit better now that it is not quite so hot and we are getting some rain from time to time. No rain lately so I need to go out to water - so bye for now.
Jeanne

o

I'm glad everything arrived in good shape, Remy! I will be very honest & tell you that I didn't spend over $2 for any thing in the box! Well, except the daylily...LOL... :O) But that doesn't count...
I love a bargain, and have a closet stashed full of stuff that I can't resist. I'm horrible that way...!
I hope you enjoyed everything, though. I thought the lady bug would be cute out in the garden...but I'm sure it'll look good inside, too. :O)

I have been super busy this past weekend. I've been making & canning preserves & jam - blueberry, cinnamon grape, apple cinnamon, lemon apple, plain grape - and today I've made loaves of banana nut bread & chocolate chip banana nut bread. Whew, I'm bushed. But it's worth it. We won't have to buy jam again for about a year! LOL
Well, that is...IF hubby would quit taking it to work! He swiped an ENTIRE jar of cinnamon grape this morning! I am hoping he makes it last all week. *sigh* Good thing that feller doesn't have to worry about his weight! LOL

Oh, and I suppose he was giving out taste-tests to all the guys, and now I've got several that want to buy jars of it! Can you imagine? :O) Hmmmm....maybe that will finance my next bargain shopping spree! LOL!

o

Hello Everyone!

Bunny, Wow you have been busy! Nice to see that you home school the kids, I've always said if I had to do it over again, and if it was at all possible I would home school.

Remy, love your new dog, his eyes are very soothing.

Marie, How is the lasix going?

Mary Ellen, I bet you kids will be glad to see you. :O)

Oh my, Dh just brought in a box from Susie, Susie, what have I done to deserve a box from you? Please do let me know when you are ready for me to mail you some goodies. I will check this evening to see if you are online.

Carol, cute puppies.

I've been busy, BIL was diagnosed with Throat cancer, they removed his tonsils last Friday. He spirits are good, and he's doing really well having them removed. Sis is also in the hospital, checking out her heart, but everything so far has been good, and have given her lasix for the fluid buildup.

I think I've been a jinx to myself. The last month, camera broke, microwave broke, Dh got poison ivy, and blower fan on the furnace broke so the central air does not work, and both BIL, and Sister are sick. I keep saying enough already.

Just wanted to say hi, and sounds like everyone is having fun. I love the Olympics, I wish I could watch more of it.

OK, Time to get outside, Susie, be sure to give me a yell when you are ready for a box.

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o

I sent Carol's box off yesterday DC#03071790000069080107
Hope it get's there tomorrow!

Sue G.

o

Anita, I want you to know I'm thinking about you and sorry you have lost loved ones.

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o

Thu, Aug 21, 08 at 8:40

Hi All,
Been very busy here! I took my grandmother out for her birthday yesterday. I've got my sis-in-law and the boys coming today. I've also got a GWer coming over! I met her one the Daylily Forum. She is coming to see my garden and get a daylily.

Anita,
I don't know what Annie is talking about, but it obviously isn't good : ( I'm sorry and hope you are holding up ok.

Annie,
I'm sorry to hear about your brother-in-law and sis. It does seem bad luck runs in clusters like that.

Melissa,
I canned salsa 2 days ago. That is pretty early for me to have so many tomatoes ripe at once. I had so many great varieties too, but I can't eat them all fresh, lol. Well it will make the salsa extra tasty. My blackberries are just starting to get ripe, but I have lots so I should be able to make lots of jam.
I was thinking of the table outside for the ladybug. The old dragonfly candle holder has seen better days. The lady bug should hold up better to the elements and still look good once the weather does take its toll, don't you think? : )

Marie,
I want to give someone else a shot at winning.(I'm surprised more people aren't around taking a guess even if not inthe swap this month.)I think the correct answer is not on your list. The oldest(still in existence) was from the 1700's and I believe all the ones you have listed are from the 1800's.

Susie,
Hope you're not over working yourself with those flower beds!

Sue G.,
I have most of your box packed(all the non-plant items.) It is has just been crazy busy here. If I can't get it out today because of the company, I'll send it at the beginning of next week.
Remy

o

Thu, Aug 21, 08 at 9:30

Jeanne!
I realized I forgot you! You sound like my dad with taking in the strays. He has a family of cats that have adopted him. They don't come inside, but they live in his yard and come to him when he comes home and when he whistles. Most of them like to be petted. He feeds them cat food and dinner scraps so they have it pretty good for strays. A couple years ago. He got the SPCA to fix them all for free. They do that down there in the Keys, so his little family has not expanded since.
I hope the dog gets to trust you after a bit.
Remy

o

Hi Deb, I mailed your package off yesterday.
The DC# is 0308 0660 0000 4569 6263. I hope you enjoy
Gale

o

Hi All,

Anita & Annie, My prayers are with you and your families.

Jeanne, Best of luck with new new adoptee. You have a wonderful heart.

Remy & Carol, Congrats on the new family members! Everyone is getting new pets! Is their something in the stars this month?

Looks like Dollar Days are going well. Our house is still torn up and in the midst of this kitchen remodel. Progress is VERY slow. But I am home today...school is out due to Fay and no soccer practice, football practice, or ANYTHING! Thank you Fay just be nice to us. The eye is supposed to cross right over us tonight. We will, most likely, lose power for a few days. We always do. My biggest concern is flooding. Every year I say I'm going to get flood insurance but I never do :(

Theresa

o

Well, the day after I posted about the stray dog, he was gone. I can only guess that he was too weak to try to find his home before that. I just hope that if he found his home, that was not the place that caused him to be in that starved condition!
I would not have kept him permanently regardless of whether he was here or not. I was going to try to get him to a rescue group and perhaps offer to get him to a normal weight so someone might be interested in adopting him. I do sort of miss him though... and it figures that he was gone right after I bought some extra food so we could continue to feed him. LOL
Anyway, a few plants followed me home yesterday. Right now lots of our plant places have things from 25-75% off. I think they have decided they do not want to deal with them over the fall and winter months. I only bought three though... yes, there are lots still in pots from when I winter sowed so I don't want to add too many more at this point. Before we know it, it will be time to winter sow again!
Jeanne

o

Theresa, thanks for prayers. Sis is out of the hospital, and doing fine. BIL will start treatment next week I hope you storm is not too bad for you. Did you get your prize package I sent. I guess I forgot all about it.

Remy, thank you too for your well wishes also, again I think your new baby is just gorgeous.

Jeanne, Bless your heart helping with the dog, and I hate when people abuse their animals. I know If I ever win the lottery I would open a no-kill shelter. We have 12 cat because of strays, and we just can't take any more in right now. My vet does love me though, and I know I own at least a couple of chairs in his waiting room. LOL.

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o
And

Susie, e-mailed me, and said she would be on when things slow up a bit for her, as she is busy, busy, busy! Also she has dial-up and at times it takes way too long to load. She is fine, just one tired lady.

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o

I received a great box from sue g today. a cacti garden, with a cacti a yucca and a living stone. a garden tote, pk of seed starter pots, windchime, watering can and jobe plant spikes. thankyou Sue I love it all. I just found out I am being arrested sept 18th for having a big heart, being taken to jail by firemen. have a web site to get donations for my bail. If you wanna help the lil ones and get me outta jail just visit my jail web site. I wanna know who turned me in, I have a few people I suspect. I'm ready for a new swap. whats next?I will be happy to take a little bail for md instead of a box. hugs soon to be jailbird carol

o

Hi,
I'm behind on reading the thread, sorry. I'll have more time tomorrow to catch up. I hope everyone's doing ok!

My package for Melissa went out today, USPS priority #0307 0020 0003 4317 3489. The kids went back to school on Wednesday! ;) Wow, this summer went by soooo fast!

Deb

o

Good morning all,

Sounds like some very nice packages are arriving :)

Remy,
glad to hear that your Gary is on the mend & 12 of the 17 are adopted :) Between my freshman and senior year there were 5 of us girls all with in a year of age from each other! When it came to prom and school shopping, the parents got to the point they just handing over the credit cards and praying alot! LOL

Jeanne,
When I came to work this morning I found a fish in a tank with all the accessary's!! I can understand a dog walking away from home but a FISH??? Nobody know's where it came from or is admitting to it... But it is a very pretty Beta and my daughter will love it. That is the problem with people finding out that I love all critters & I can never say no. Good luck with you 'new' friend :)

Melissa,
~I've been making & canning preserves & jam~
Yummy!!! My Mom use to make Chokecherry jelly and syrup - I miss that alot!

As per Remy's information: I cheated and found that question in a google search ;) What is the name of the one from 1700's? that is cool they are still around.

My lasic's went GREAT!! As soon as they turned my chair away from the machine I turned my head, to look out the window and saw the mountains!! Wow, it is really awsome being able to see things the minute I open my eyes and not have to squint or find my glasses :)!! Since I was by myself, they made me wait about 1 1/2 hours before I went to my motel but I had no problems driving/seeing. I took a nap and then when shopping to celebrate. As of Wednesday morning I have 20/20 vision and it will get better after the swelling goes down. Life is good...

Marie

o

Yay, Marie! That's great news! I'm happy to hear it went well for you. I'll bet it was like Christmas morning for you, wasn't it?! :O)
I've been wanting lasik for years, but can't afford it. And with so many kiddos...and at least a few of them needing glasses, I think it'll be a LONG time before I could even *think* of getting it done.
So it's always nice to hear when someone else does!

Maybe we should send a tin cup & nail file to Ms Jailbird Carol?! :O) Sounds like they *finally* caught up with you!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Melissa

o

Annie, so sorry I forgot to mention it. Yes, I did get your wonderful daylilies. They arrived very healthy looking. And Fay watered them in VERY well.

I have never seen so much rain in a two day span! But despite very soggy ground, we were lucky. The water never reached the house. A neighbor of ours was not so lucky. And the 8 inches we received in our town doesn't compare to the 30+ received in nearby areas. We lost power for a day and night which is not too bad compared to previous storms we've endured.

Marie, glad the surgery went well. It is a scary thing to have done but so worthwhile.

Theresa

o

Happy Birthday, Marie!

Now that is truly weird that a fish in a fish tank showed up as a stray! LOL
Have a wonderful day.

Happy Birthday

And those who are trying to recover or have someone in the family who is ill, sure will be wishing everyone well soon.

Jeanne

o

I'm hoping no one minds me jumping in here with a plug about October. I will be hosting the October Swap and it's
The Secret Haunted Garden.

Photobucket

Many plant places have plants on sale now (at least here near us) and bulbs will be in the stores soon. Think ahead to the October Swap. Of course, I will post all these specifics again, but begin to look for plants in Halloween colors - Ghostly White, Batty Black, or Phantom Pumpkin-Orange, or plants with names related to Halloween. You will have the option to add some other types of fall/harevest items, such as mini-pumpkins or gourds, jelly, jams, preserves, pumpkin bread, etc. Seeds, plants, bulbs - a cute garden decoration or Halloween decoration. Scout around and give yourself plenty to time to find things for your October Swap partner.
I hope lots of our members will join in. October is actually a very good time to plant for those of us in the south.
Jeanne

o

Marie!

I hope you've had a great birthday so far, Marie!! :O)

I also want to say THANK YOU! to Deb....I received a fantastic box from her today! I'll post the contents tomorrow, I'm short on time tonight. But it was wonderful & I wanted to say THANK YOU to her!

Melissa

o

glitter-graphics.com
Hope you had a great day Marie!

I'm up next to host Sept's swap."For the Birds" is the theme so you know a bird feeder of some sort is needed at least. Will post more info within the next few days. I've had in-laws here for the last week,plus received really bad cold as a gift. Lucky me!
later...April/dirt

o

SEPTEMBER-APRIL (dirt_under_my_nails)'FOR THE BIRDS'
OCTOBER-JEANNE (sandlapper_rose)'THE SECRET HAUNTED GARDEN'
NOVEMBER-MARY ELLEN (mellen)
DECEMBER-

April and Jeanne-Looking forward to your swap months. It has got to be less busy in those month than in these past ones.

Marie-HOPE YOUR BIRTHDAY IS EVERYTHING IT SHOULD BE......
FUN, FUN, FUN. 16 siblings what fun your family get-togethers must be. You have done a wonderful job in this months swap. Nice boxes sent and received.

Theresa-I was sure hoping we would get some of that rain off the storm but guess not.

Melissa-I bet your jams and jellies are wonderful. There is nothing like homemade jelly. YUM

Marie-I had lasik eye surgery a few years ago and love it. The only problem now is my age is catching up and some days I have to wear readers. It is not every day just some days, very odd.

Anita-Sure hope you are doing well and we miss you and everyone when you don't post.

Shirley

o

Marie,
Happy Birthday! Wishing you the best!

Gale's box arrived today, Thank you Gale!
Included in the box was seeds, garden planter tin set, plumeria plant, lion tail plant, gloves & garden bag, caladiums, Fan palm plant, mum booster, decorative canteen, mother of thousands plant, decorative birdhouse, jade leaves. I had no idea that you could put down jade leaves and they produce a plant. Hmm, must be like a violet, I'm curious to see what happens. Thanks Gail for the fantastic box, I LOVE everything you sent! I've been wanting a mother of thousands plant for a long time! This has been such a fun swap, Thank Marie for hosting it! You've done a wonderful job!

Hugs,
Deb

o

Morning All! Could someone please send me the code for the Our Bloomin Frineds logo? Hope to have swap info up this afternoon.
Thanks!
April/dirt_under_my_nails

o

I *finally* have time to post a proper THANK YOU to Deb!
Here is what was in the great box she sent me:

A small garden tote
TONS of seeds! (I noticed some "bunny tail grass" in there! Love it!!!!)
Some miracle grow tablets
Wooden plant markers
Dahlia tuber
Magnolia oil scented diffuser
2 plant pots
Package of Jiffy pots
Iris- bearded, heirloom purple
Note cards
Cute windsock
Kitty plant stake

I think that is everything...please forgive me if I've forgotten anything, Deb!
I love it all!

Melissa

o

Sun, Aug 24, 08 at 17:59

Hi All,
Boy have I been busy! Thursday was crazy as I posted before. Friday I worked. Yesterday, I went to a rock garden meeting an hour away at a gardener's house. It was very nice. The house was amazing inside, looked like something out of a decorator magazine! Then I drove out even further to go to a nursery. It was worth the trip. They were having a 1/2 price sale! So I of course came home with a bunch of plants. Then in the evening I went out with a good friend and her husband for their anniversary to eat and a jazz street festival kind of thing. Today I went to my friend's to go to a tomato event about an hour away. We got there and the event was canceled! It was ok though, we checked out the property's garden, and we stopped at a farmer's market. Plus we had out own tomato tasting at her house so it turned out well.

Marie,
Happy Belated Birthday! It must be wonderful to celebrate that plus being able to see too.
Amazing that your parents adopted so many kids and all around the same age. They were either saints or crazy, LOL. Gary is adopted too and so is one of his sisters and his brother was also.
The seed company is Landreth. See the link below.

Theresa,
Sorry to hear you are still having construction chaos! I've never seen anyone excited to have a hurricane coming their way, lol. I'm glad that Fay was good to you.

Jeanne,
Only 3?! You really did control yourself, lol.
I do hope the dog made its way home.

Annie,
I'm glad your sis is home. Hopefully your BIL's treatments are easy on him, and they work.

Carol,
Lol, you didn't post the web site.

Deb,
Wow, the kids go back to school early where you live. College starts next week here and regular school doesn't start until after labor day.

Melissa,
One of these days you''ll get the lasik done. Maybe once the kids are working, you can tell them that's what mom wants for a present. : )

Hi April,
Nice to see you stop in! Birds as a theme is a good one.

Shirley,
I take it you are still working too hard! I do hope it slows down a bit.
Talk to you all later,
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Landreth Seed Co,

o

Hi Ladies well as annie said I have been very busy with many things around here & with slow dial up it is hard to wait for the forums to load when i have other things to get done . So hope all is haven much fun with your
swaps .

Theresa : I hope you don't get flooded out .
Remy :Very Cute Dog :
ANnie Sorry I kepp missing you on line I can only get on after 6pm right now .

well i have to get off here u all have a fun month.
susie

o

Hi All, I was out of town for the week. I came home to a
lovely box from Marie. I received 2 Isis that Marie will
email me the names. I also have, Li lyes, Yellow, Purple,White. 4 bags of crystal soil, Chocolate Sunflower,
Note Pad, Avon butterfly shade soaps, a number, of packages
of seeds. Marie thank you I will enjoy.
Gale

o

resident tomato expert, Remy, how can I tell when a green zebra tomato is ripe ? and how is doggie doing ?
this is my web site.
https://www.joinmda.org/MyLockup/MyHomepage/tabid/20250/Default.aspx
the pup is ashland, unusual color for a jack. he will probably be the first to get a home. I have a friend in arizona, who started a no kill shelter called valley dale animal haven. When I managed a humane society, I hid dogs from the board of directors so I could have a no kill shelter, when we quit they wanted to put all the dogs to sleep and start new, so I took 23 dogs with me, which was all of them, some were puppies. I found homes for all but one which we kept. It was a small city so a lot easier than a big one. Anita we miss you. Marie fish do not walk. maybe someone left it for your lunch. those poor betas, you always see them in little jars in the stores. Susie any new babies ?Bunny how is belly doing ?happy gardening friends
hugs carol

o

Thanks to all for the Birthday wishes, thoughts during my lasic's and the cute pictures! Things were super busy here yesterday and that is why I didn't get to post :( but it is now much calmer!

Remy - I have read the posts 2 times and am not finding a post from you about sending or Sue recieving her package. Let me know whats happening or did I just miss it?? I think when Mom & Dad realized that 5 teenage girls all the same age had invaded their home, there may have been a small break down! My parents were the best but I agree they had to be just a little crazy LOL My parents didn't drink but the day my youngest sister graduated high school in 1992 my Dad did go to the bar and have a beer to celibrate 'the last one!' My oldest sister graduated in 1972 the year the youngest was born, so it was understandable! THanks for the seed info - very interesting.

Melissa - your turn for Lasic's will come too! I had to wait for over 20 years but it is so worth it.

Carol - It makes me sad also to see the Beta's in those tiny little cups! 'Ruby' is in a 3 gallon wall mounted tank in my bathroom - that was the only thing I could think of so my cat's wouldn't have access to him :) My daughter bought him some really neat 'furniture' to hide behind and in - he seems to be quite happy :)

Shirley - I paid a little extra, so that as I age they will 'tweek' for no cost. It is stange that yours only need help part of the time...

Gail - glad you enjoyed your box! This swap has been fun for me - I may even attempt hosting again but not till next year :)

Mellen - your Daylily is going out this morning. I will post conformation when I get it.
Everyone seems super busy right now, so there will not be a game for this week. I had a great time hosting and thank you all for playing & participating.

April - your 'FOR THE BIRDS' sounds like great fun! I need to start thinking about were to put up the bird feeders at my house. I notice a squirrel has moved into the tree's in the back pasture and that means I will have to keep a pretty close watch on the seed this year.

Marie

o

sounds like a great home youve made for your runnaway fish, knew he'd have the best with you. when I see the sad walmart ones I'll think of ruby on his chaise lounge eating shrimp after a nice fresh water change. lucky fishy, I posted my jail site wrong it is
https://www.joinmda.org/08ladyluckslockup/veeja3
stop by and laugh at me or donate to my bail. one of my dh's college english teaches was the first to donate. I am not still friends with any of my teachers. he is. Thankyou for any help get. hugs carol

o

Wed, Aug 27, 08 at 17:46

Marie and Sue G.,
I'm posting from work. My computer died last night. It was old and just gave out. I have to go by a new one after work.
I sent Sue's box early this morning.
DC#0308 0070 0002 0122 0571

Hopefully I find a computer and Gary gets is set up soon. But don't worry if you don't hear from me for a few days.
Remy

o

Remy,

Bummer about your computer but thanks for letting us know. Hopefully you will be able to get another soon - have you checked out the surplus auctions? Most state agency's & colleges have them and I got a complete set up for an out of state friends birthday this summer, from our states warehouse for $20!! Everything is checked out by their IT guys, the keyboard & mouse were still in their new boxes : )

good luck!
Marie

o

Thu, Aug 28, 08 at 23:19

Hi All,
I'm back up and running! Yea! Gary got everything installed and I think we are good to go. I'm so behind with trying to answer emails and party planning(my tomato party is next Saturday.)

Marie,
I ended up spending a bit more than $20, but I needed to get one right away. I wish I could of scored a deal like that at an auction! But I'm happy with what I got though and hopefully it lasts a long time like the old one did.
Remy

o

Sun, Aug 31, 08 at 19:06

Sue G.,
Please tell me you got the box. USPS says it was delivered. Oh, I sure hope you didn't go anywhere this weekend.
Remy

o
RE:re OBF - August Dollar Days

Sun, Aug 31, 08 at 19:11

Carol,
So sorry I didn't answer your question before! I hope you figured it out. The background green will start to turn yellow and the tomato will give slightly to pressure.
Remy

o

I'm here! Been so busy haven't had a chance to get online!

I got my HUGE box from Remy Friday!

She sent a BIG planter (really pretty), a magnetic photo maker, a Weman's bag (that's where she works), flavored ice tea bags, herbes de provance, a citronella bucket (so timely - we just got a batch of skeeters this week because of the recent rain - it's rained four times this summer - HaHa), jostaberry jam (she made from her own bush), and plants gerber daisy, rudbeckia, vinca, sedum, a succulent and a geranium.

Thanks Remy I loved everything!

Sue G.

o

Mon, Sep 1, 08 at 8:58

Sue G.,
I'm so glad you did get it. I was having thoughts of melted plants inside the box because you went somewhere for the weekend, lol. : )
Remy

o

Mon, Sep 1, 08 at 20:43

Marie, A HUGE thank you for the daylily and red gaillardia seeds. I didn't realize that I had won one of your contests so it was a wonderful surprise. It was in our mailbox on Friday as we were heading out to drive to MO for the week-end. So it made the trip to MO and back. lol

Remy, happy to hear that you got another computer. Nothing more frustrating than "equipment" that doesn't work. When I just read that you had sent Sue a HUGE box, my first thought was that you sent HER a new trellis. HA!

Greetings to everyone else!!!
Mary Ellen

o

Wed, Sep 3, 08 at 8:19

Mellen,
Trellis, LOL! Still wanting that thing are you? : )
Hope school is going well. I start getting my classes in a couple weeks. I'm looking forward to it.
Remy

o

Remy,
I am soooo sorry for taking so long with your June box, it is on it's way to you, I hope you like what I sent you. Life has just been crap for the last 2 months, I do so hope it gets better.

Be back when I have more time, Have a great day all..:)Anita

o

Mellen,
Glad you enjoyed your 'surprize' Hehehe I thought that I had emailed you but probably not... My mind was on my fishing trip and I didn't do alot of things I thought I did LOL

Good to hear that everyone liked this swap and recieved such great boxes.

Thanks for letting me host : )
Marie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here