Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

NEW: aug 2013 fotess swap: the dog days of summer

sandlapper_rose
10 years ago

FOTESS is a group that requires membership in order to participate in the swap. If you want more information about membership, contact me or Shirley.
_______

We'll be enjoying the Dog Days of Summer this month. If you want to sign up, this swap will be very flexible. You can send anything as long as it relates in some way to "dog." It can be a plant, seeds, a decorative item, a food item, something gently used, or something you made or upcycled. There is no need to spend a lot. Just be a bit creative. (Make up a story about how it your item relates to "dog" if you need to and send a note along with your item.)

If your partner has a dog, will you enclose a dog biscuit or some little treat for the dog this month?
Maybe the cats need their own month later on. I know we swapped relating to birds once before.

I'll match partners that weekend.
Mail your item by August 20th.

A few extras we'll have here - first of all there will be a dog related game this month. Secondly, if you have a dog and are able to do so, please post a picture of your dog (or dogs) and tell a little about them. The third part is that I thought of a way to match partners using dog breeds. When you sign up, select a dog breed and list it here. Everyone needs a different breed, so don't pick one that's already listed. Once it gets close to August 9th watch for the way partners will be matched.

As for my dog, her name is Sydney and she's a little over 2 years old. After our much loved Golden Retriever passed away two years ago we decided to go with a smaller and short haired dog. It's hard because I think Golden Retrievers are wonderful. I guess everyone else does too because you always see them in commercials!
Back to Sydney, I searched on the internet to see what the rescue and shelter places had posted and found Sydney. She was 6 months old at the time and in SC - but far from where we live. I fell in love with her just from the pictures though and luckily after that long drive (and her getting car sick all the way home), it worked out.

We normally had registered dogs of a known breed, but now it's fun when people try to guess what Sydney is. Both of her ears might be held up (infrequently), both might be down, and often we see this one ear up and one ear down. I think it matches her personality! She was listed as a Australian Shepard mix, but I don't know that it's correct. We think she might have some Australian Cattle Dog and Greyhound in her. We have also seen a Catahoula Leopard Dog that looks something like her, but larger. On one episode of The Dog Whisperer we saw a "breed" called the Koolie and she has lots of those characteristics. (Has anyone had their dog DNA tested for breed? Syndey would be a good candidate for that!)

I'm signing up and I will pick the Golden Retriever since I don't know what to pick for Sydney's breed. You can pick any breed you want and non-dog owners are more than welcome!

Jeanne - Golden Retriever

Who else?
Jeanne

Comments (150)

• kchd
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Its fun to see all the great FOTESS packages flying around and landing at their destinations. Jeanne and Annie, those are some great boxes you both received!

The Indian potato... no, it is not endangered. It is just not all too common. Once it finds a place it likes, tho, it can really take off. That is the way this particular spot is... a wet & boggy spot with some very happy Indian potato plants. I will revisit later when it has made seeds, and I will be collecting a good bit of seed. I really like to collect seed from plants nearby in efforts to preserve what is called "provenance," which is to say that the plants naturally found here in MS are more likely to be best adapted to the local climate & soils than a plant found growing in Minnesota. Of course, that is not always possible, which leads me to getting seeds from GW traders, FOTESS members, and plant nurseries. BTW, ladies... it is hardy to zone 3 :) ! Jeanne, if it had not been blooming, I never would have noticed it!

Vina -- on your ornery pampas grass... whatever you do, DO NOT salt it. Salt will ruin your soil, and then nothing will grow there again for a very long time. Instead, I think you are going to have to attack it the way I attack chinese privet. By no means do I advocate the regular use of herbicides. But, sometimes you have to get serious with the invasives.

Cut the grass all the way down as far as you can to the ground. This will allow you to reach any & all vegetation (that stuff can get quite tall!) Then, buy an herbicide with the active ingredient "glyphosate." It comes in various concentrations. FYI, "Round up" was the original, patented herbicide with glyphosate. Their patent ran out a few years back and now you can buy glyphosate at a cheaper price as an off-brand. Just check the label to see what the active ingredient is. Next, you need to make sure you get some that is strong enough. I buy 41% glyphosate and dilute it in half (I mix 1 part herbicide + 1 part water). Depending on how much pampas grass you have to control, chose an appropriate sized sprayer to mix your herbicide in. Don't forget to label it really well and hide it from any kids and pets. You can use this strong herbicide mix to specifically target the grass and the grass only. I would spray right after cutting it, then spray it again after you few just a few inches of grass growth. Make sure it's not going to rain for 4-6 hrs after you spray, too.

I use this same concentrated mix on privet using the "hack & squirt" method. With privet, I take a machete and hack a section of bark off the base of the trunk. Within 60 seconds, I squirt the wound with my herbicide. It has a 50% kill rate with one application to privet (which is nearly impossible to eradicate!!)

This post was edited by kchd on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 21:42

• toomanyanimals
    10 years ago

Katie, I had to look privet up on the web ... I've often wondered what that plant was, I see it everywhere on the trail I walk with my dog.

Shirley and Many, cute cat pictures. Shirley, my cat would have peed in the backpack .... its a kitty litter box isn't it?

Margo, yep, looks like you and your family had a good time on the color run!

sharon

• sjc48
    10 years ago

Sharon, AGGGHHH! I never thought of that! Maybe I'll just start putting it back in the closet when I'm finished with it! Altho my cats never pee "outside the box" unless they are mad at me. And I go to great lengths to prevent that!

Cloudy, rainy day here. We need the rain tho.

Would you believe I'm in the process of cleaning up my gardens already? Many of my containers have bit the dust. And yes, I'm already planning next year!

Have a great day, All!
    Shirley!

• ruthz
    10 years ago

Yea, my login problem is finally fixed.
    Thanks Jeanne, for posting a message for me.
    It's fun to hear what people are receiving in their packages.
    Katie, I traded for seeds once from a lady in Florida for the Apios Americana. They came up and were doing fine, but vacation and no watering got them. Good Luck with yours.
    I may try them again.
    Would your "glyphosate." method work killing Trumpet Vine?
    I need something to get rid of, or help control it.
    Hope you all have a good day.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great pictures of the new kitten and Vinnie. They are so cute!
    I love the eyes looking out of the backpack.

Alana asked me to post and let everyone know she received Sharon's package and loves it. She says Sharon made it very special.
    Alana has been in touch with GW about getting her account to work and will come on and post the contents as soon as she can.

I have some errands that I need to run, but will be back on to update our sent and received list later in the day. For some reason I just "fizzled out" yesterday and didn't accomplish much that was on my list.

Jeanne

• sjc48
    10 years ago

Jeanne, we should form a "Fizzled Out" club! I am doing some pretty good fizzling right now. Worked all day, lugging our old ledgers back and forth from the "vault" up to our office, to make copies. The guy was pleased that I got so much done; told me that he would have another long list next week. HAHA, I won't be there! Nanananana!

dry white wine sounds real good right now!
    Shirley!

• kchd
    10 years ago

Shirley, that pic of Vinnie is hilarious!! It gets a whole-hearted cackle out of me! And you have inspired me to pop open a dry white wine myself. I'm on a Sauvignon Blancs from New Zealand kick these days. yum-mee!!

Yes, Sharon, privet is just about everywhere. Lump it in with kudzu, cogangrass, japanese honeysuckle, cheat grass, etc. It can really wreak havoc on native ecosystems. The only good privet is dead privet, in my book.

Hi Ruth, yes, I am quite sure the glyphosate would work on trumpet vine. But, may I suggest that instead of spraying that native, you just whack it off at the base and let it re-sprout at a much more manageable size? The hummingbirds love its flowers. To prevent seeding, you can just cut it off again once it's done flowering for the year. That's a win-win for you and the hummers ;)

I have noticed that more and more people are having major difficulties with GW delivering emails and allowing them to post. [grumble!]

• toomanyanimals
    10 years ago

LOL you gals, I had a diet coke in my hand when I read about the wine. The coke is back in the fridge and I have a glass of Michigan Tabor Hill Riesling. I've been trying all the local wines and some are pretty good. :0)

I'll join that 'Fizzled Out' club ...at least for tonight!

Jeanne, thanks for letting me know that Alana has received the package.

I'm looking forward to the weekend.
    Sharon

• smitties
    10 years ago

Hello everyone. I received my package today from Mandy and it was filled with great creativity.

In the envelope was:
    car magnet in the shape of a bone and says "dogs rule".
    A dog treat which I am saving for a special treat for Shilo.
    Six cute cardboard mug coasters. There are dogs on them and three have a golder retriever that says "I came, I sniffed, I rolled in it" and the other three has a dog and it says "happee, I haz it". Too cute.
    Mandy sent notes with her choices and she explained the seeds she sent which were cat grass, parsley, (for the dog to have fresh breath), Her dog likes to chase butterflies so she included seeds from a milkweed. It will attract the butterflies which my cats like to chase, and mix seeds to attract more butterflies. There was a package of mixed salad blend because dogs like greens as well as cat grass which she included. We have the outdoor cats so they will like the cat grass too.
    These are all great but the best part is the laser pointer for our little Tenny to chase. I have wanted to get one of these for months now but always forget to pick one up. I immediately started playing with Tenny with it which was hysterical.
    Mandy, thanks so much for the creative and thoughtful package. It was great fun to open.
    Margo

• sjc48
    10 years ago

Sharon, I've been trying local wines too. Pentemere winery in Tecumseh has a dry white, White Swan, that is just excellent. But I'm all out of that so I had to settle for a table red, Noiret, from a new winery up there called The Flying Otter. It's way out in the boonies. The wine is called a red, but the color is a very light pink. Very dry, not sweet, just right!

I like wine, but I tend to waste it, somewhat. After one or two glasses, it goes back in the fridge and the Lord only knows when I'll drink it again. Like to have it on hand tho!

Why are you fizzling, and is Tabor Hill a winery?

Off to bed, I think, maybe!
    Shirley!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Everyone got me in the mood for a glass of wine and with my medications I can't have one... oh, well, on to the send and receive list I guess. It's getting late so if I mess up, please correct me.

What great packages are being sent and received! I love the saying about "I rolled in it" - so true of the Golden Retriever we had... and I love that some of you found a way to incorporate seeds with this theme. "Flea" and "hair" are so appropriate... and my dog likes to chase butterflies, too! Dog breath - yes, let's pass the parsley.

Katie - sends to Sharon
    Sharon - sends to Alana (received)
    Alana - sends to Mandy
    Mandy - sends to Margo (received)
    Margo - sends to Vina
    Vina - sends to Annie (received)
    Annie - sends to Jeanne (received)
    Jeanne - sends to Ruth (I'm a "bad dog" - will send soon!)
    Ruth - sends to Jayanne
    Jayeanne - sends to Shirley
    Shirley - sends to Heidi
    Heidi - sends to Robin
    Robin - sends to Peggy
    Peggy - sends to Katie.

That's all for today, folks! It's still raining nearly every day here. I think we will have 4 days in a row without rain early next week - at least that's what the weather report said, but are they ever right? (I really don't mind the rain because I don't have to water the garden and it's cooler, but you have to feel bad for the farmers who can't harvest and the people who are having flood conditions.)

Jeanne

• canfan
    10 years ago

Seems like the dog days of summer are winding down.. cooler nights bringing out that "tired" look to trees, shrubs and garden plants. We may get some rain to wash some of the dust away.. hope there isn't any "electricity" in those clouds because it is very dry here in the desert of Central Washington. I've been doing a bit of canning: Dilly Beans, Spicy Chili Ketchup and another batch of HuckleBlueberry Jam. Oh ya, I have a big bucket of sweet chunk pickles sitting on the counter. Next step is to can them up. Mojo is happy with his recent hair cut... but I noticed he is snuggling a little closer to my feet in the cool early morning hours.

• l1oness
    10 years ago

Margo - glad you liked it! It was fun to try and figure out what to put in the package.

Tabor Hill is a winery - it sounds like you might live pretty close to me Sharon. I'm almost an hour or so away from that area.

Happy Friday!

Mandy

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

My GW is fixed, but now my computer at home is misbehaving so I may not be able to post about Sharon's package thoroughly for a bit yet. I did not think to bring it with me today.
    She was very thoughtful and sent a doggie birthday card in anticipation of my bd next month. Thank the doggies for me. I will elaborate later, but she did an excellent job! She is a very creative member and I thoroughly enjoyed my treats and so will Kobi.
    Thank you Sharon,
    Alana

• flowergirl34
    10 years ago

My package from Margo arrived! WOW!

She sure used her imagination for this box! Once again! WOW!

I rec'd in my "doggy bag"
    ~a new mug to enjoy cold beverages :)
    ~a BBQ cookbook so I won't heat up the kitchen
    ~ a Cool Scarf to keep me cool while gardening during the dog days.
    ~a pink ice cream scoop...awesome!
    ~a pack of Polar Ice Gum...the kids LOVE this gum! :)
    ~ 3 adorable solar movers...a dancing flower, a hula girl and an elephant. Margo bought 1 for me, 1 for Taylor and 1 for Billy. :) THANK YOU!! They were so excited that they were included.
    ~ and last but not least...for the dog days...Kitty Toys for the girls, Apple and Kiwi. They love the catnip mice!! Kiwi is sleeping with one right now on the living room carpet.

Margo, Thank You so much for my Summer Survival Pack! So thoughtful of you!!

Thanks everyone for the dreaded grass advice. I did mow it down, it took 3 days, it kept popping back up. I'm going to Ace today to see if they have the glyphosate that Katie mentioned. I sounds like exactly what I need. Thank YOU! :D

Annie, I'm so glad that your box made it. I'm so sorry we should have gotten Janika a figurine too. ;( The toy we got her is actually made from recycled material...we were trying to stay within the "upcycle" mode of fotess :)

Love the kitty pic's. We should have a month for the kitty's. ;) Can't leave them out.

Have a great Friday!!
    vina

• l1oness
    10 years ago

I just received my package from Alana - thank you! It's a great package! :)

There is a book "101 ways to do more with your dog" - with a lot of great games and things you can do. She also included some jerky treats for the pup. I gave him one and he begged for another - they must be tasty!

She also sent a Stafford Daylily - in honor of the Staffordshire terrier according to the note, and an Alice in Wonderland Daylily, in memory of her former Boxer named Alice - what a great fit for the doggie days!

Thank you very much! Logan (my dog) and I will enjoy the package immensely!

Mandy

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good news, Ruth! I have your package ready to go and will mail it tomorrow. Sorry to be a few days late getting it out. Hopefully it will make good time as it travels to Texas.

Mandy and Vina, those were great swap packages that you received. I love hearing what people thought of to go with the Dog Days of Summer theme.

Jeanne

• kchd
    10 years ago

I received my doggie box from Peggy today! Yippee :) Peggy sent a package of dog treats which Woolie says are delicious. an LED lighted dog collar pendant for easily spotting your dog at night. Perfect! Woolie needs this b/c he has gone deaf and doesn't always come when he's called. Now we can easily find him at night! A very cute coin purse made out of a baby sock, with dogs on it, of course! Some soft ladybug gardening gloves! And a guidebook for using "Color in your Garden." Thank you so much, Peggy, for the thoughtful doggy package!

And just so the cats don't feel completely left out... this was how I was greeted this morning as I walked into the bathroom

NINJA CAT

• canfan
    10 years ago

Katie, glad you and Woolie enjoyed your package. I had fun trying to figure out what to send. Woolie reminds me of a scottie/aredale mix I had as a kid..Smokey lived 15 years.. he was a character. We would shave him every summer and he would hide under the bed for a day or two until he accepted his new cut. We took him on a vacation to Glacier National Park and he was so proud of himself when he got back into the car smelling like the dead fish he rolled in. We all got out of the car and he ended up in the creek with my dad and a bar of soap. As for ninga cat s/he is adorable! We have a cat that was dropped off at about 5-6 wks of age. It hissed and spat and slapped at us and we name it Edgrrrrr but had to change it to Ingrrrr when we found out "he" was really a "she". She has calmed down but does not enjoy cuddling AT ALL. Give Woolie a hug and tell him about Smokey.. I think he will enjoy the story. Regards... Peggy

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

Better seize my opportunity to post, this is what Sharon sent me:
    For Kobi, Cash's favorite "Sizzlin' Strips". I've not had time to share those yet, but today Kobi will get to try them.
    The book, "You Had Me At Woof" by Julie Klam. I've looked at this book before and almost bought it. I really can't wait to read it.
    The most incredible part are the fantastic buttons she sent to illustrate her letter about adventures with Cash on a walk one day. There is a brass button with a bird on it, a resin button that looks like a woodcut of a terrier, flowered buttons to mark Cash's visits to her garden. A carrot button because Cash loves carrots and a heart button because she loves her friend Cash.
    Amazingly creative and beautiful!
    She also sent seeds for vegetable that Cash likes as tomatoes and carrots, and for Peppers, which he stays away from.
    I wish I had an iota of her creativity. Thank you Sharon!
    Alana

Edited simply to add that although I have never thought about collecting buttons, these are so wonderful that I just might start.

This post was edited by poisondartfrog on Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 8:26

• toomanyanimals
    10 years ago

Alana, I'm so glad you enjoyed the package Cash and I sent . You might have guessed I am a button collector. Even if you don't collect I'm sure you can find a way to reuse those buttons. :o)
    Sharon

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

Thank you to Shirley! What a fun box to receive and it just kept going and going. I received some handmade cards and I already used one. At my new job my supervisor's dog has been having seizures so I gave one to him as a get well card. The cards said Woof Woof and had paw prints on them. Shirley also sent a Hound of the Baskervilles and A Big Little Life a memoir of a joyful dog, pictures of her beautiful flowers with butterflies and birds, 3 dog puzzles, 2 rubber stamps (to make more cards). I loved it all! And don't forget the seeds...harlequin sunflower, red & yellow cosmic cosmos (one of my favorite flowers), Gaillardia Arizona Red (my #1 favorite flower) and orange poppies.
    Job update...it's going well, just very stressful trying to learn things. I finally was accepted into the 'system' yesterday so now I can configure email and actually use a computer. So far it's been pen and paper. Very retro! ha
    Heidi

• sjc48
    10 years ago

Glad you enjoyed the package, Heidi! I got the stamps "dirt cheap" but then I thought, " now what do I do with them?" It was an easy decision to send them on to you! As creative as you are, I know you'll put them to good use. Sounds like the job is going well.

Katie, what a sight first thing in the morning! A true Ninja, if I ever saw one!

We are having really beautiful weather, warm and sunny during the day, cool and breezy at night. Almost perfect!
    Have a nice Sunday, All!
    Shirley!

• toomanyanimals
    10 years ago

Hey Katie, That look on kitty Ninjas face ... well, what do you expect .... she's naked, getting ready for her bath. lol
    What a picture!!!!

Box from Katie!
    Yum, Yum, Yum .... Coconut Almonds for me and hubby. I actually shared them.
    Yum, Yum, Yum ... Treats for Cash, "Boney bones". New for him, but he loved the one I gave him.

Seedsthat bloom in August for my shade areas .
    1) White turtlehead - I have pink and am super excited to have seeds for the white!!!
    2)Blue mistflower - I love mistflower.
    3) Lobelia cardinalis - Now that I have seeds, I will try this beautiful flower again. I've tried the plant twice in the area I really want it to grow, but it never makes it ... too dry I think. Now I will try it in a slightly less dry shade.
    4) Wood oats, Chasmanthium latifolia - Well, not too sure what to do with this one, but you gave me enough seeds that I will try it in several places. I saw on the web it is the host plant for a skipper ... always good. And it is edible, so I just know the deer would probably devour it in the woods, but that is ... always good too.

Thank you Katie for a wonderful box!color = "red">

I am also enjoying reading what others have received. What a wide variety of ideas from this group. :o)

sharon

• smitties
    10 years ago

Another 5k is completed. This one was a little harder because the whole thing was in the morning sun. HOT, like the dog days of summer. I did have my best run yet and plan to keep on going to improve my time.

Great packages have been sent. I enjoy reading the creative things people do with the themes. Our dog Shilo sure enjoyed her treat.

Mandy, your little stray is cute. I know what you mean about cats multiplying. When we built in the country 7 years ago, we adopted little Joey. Then they started coming. I named our last one Tenny so I could keep track of how many had actually come around. We ourselves have 6 outside, (I actually gather them every night to spend the night in the garage), one indoor, (that's Tenny) and one stray who shows up just about every night to get his dinner.

A heat wave is coming here to Ohio. The next five days after today are going to be in the 90's. Blech.

Have a good Sunday all. Margo

• kchd
    10 years ago

Glad you enjoyed your package, Sharon. Those coconut almonds are the same brand as the yummy wasabi soy almonds you sent to me a few months ago. Both are delicious, I think! My cardinal flowers like their soil moist, for sure; but, they will grow in any light from full sun to shade. I think the moist soil is much more important while they are young plants. We have woodoats growing in our woods around here, both Chasmanthium latifolium (the ones I sent you) and C. sessiflorum. Both are highly deer resistant -- the deer won't touch them :)

Margo, you go, girl! Although instead of a photo, I want to see a video of your 5k dance moves!

FYI, our orange ninja cat's name is Greeble, because he showed up out of the woods as a nasty, scabby, dirty little greeble of a 'teenage' kitten. After I busted him for trying to ambush me (which he does often), he turned cute & innocent.

• sjc48
    10 years ago

Katie, Greeble looks so cute and innocent - but probably not, if I know cats! And thank you for all the wildflower lessons! Very Helpful!

Margo, I too would like to see a pic of you dancing your way tho that 5k. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

And I wanted to let you all know that I have posted the Sept/Oct. Fotess swap already. It is another 2 month writing swap, I wanted to get a jumpstart on it. I would love to see you all join in!

And last, I wanted to share this picture. The trellis/arbor is 6 foot tall. So, how high do you think that New England Aster, towering in the background, is? That's the tallest one, the shortest are 4-5' tall! No blooms yet. Saw some blooming in the wild, when I went for groceries yesterday. None were this tall!

In case I don't make it back on,
    have a great week!
    Shirley!

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

These "dog days" packages are fantastic!!!!!! Clever and Fun!!

Jeanne, I found my prize on the porch last night. Actually, I did not really find it...the canines did....they sniffed it out!
    Thank you for the very nice note/card and the 2014-2015 two year daily planner...(it even had a dog on the cover) and dogs treats for for the canines, specifically packaged for each of them. They thank you...yum...yum!

And Jeanne, so glad everything arrived.

Happy Sunday...

Annie

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

Hi Shirley!

Your package is going out tomorrow morning...

Jayeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hope everyone had a good weekend. I should have updated sooner I think - I see lots of packages have arrived and I am amazed the game prize got all the way across the country so quickly, Annie.
    I got Ruth's package to the wild bird store in town - they sell wild bird food, bird feeders, bird baths, and things like that (yes, there are contracting with the post office), but mail had already left for Sat.; so Ruth, the package should be on its way as of today.

Here's our update:

Katie - sends to Sharon (received)
    Alana - sends to Mandy (received)
    Margo - sends to Vina (received)
    Jeanne - sends to Ruth (sent)
    Ruth - sends to Jayeanne
    Jayeanne - sends to Shirley (sent)
    Shirley - sends to Heidi (received)
    Heidi - sends to Robin
    Robin - sends to Peggy (received)
    Peggy - sends to Katie (received)

I think I got all of this updated correctly, but if I missed something just let me know.

I have enjoyed this month so much and thanks to all who participated in the Dog Days of Summer. The conversation and the pictures posted are great, the packages are so creative, and each one of you is a wonderful member of this very fun group!

I'll watch that our other packages arrive at their destinations.
    Talk soon.
    Jeanne

• canfan
    10 years ago

Thank you Robin1926-2008 for the package. Mojo looks fabulous in the halter. I will need to put him in a diet before he fits into it correctly. He and I really like the colors. I gave him one of his treats, which he ate greedily. While surfing, he quietly grabbed himself another (hence the explanation for his portly ways). i put the remainder up and out of his reach so he will have them for a longer period of time. I planted the Rose of Sharon and am in great hopes it will take. Coincidental, the day before your package arrived, hubby and I were commenting on a row of beautiful flowering bushes that we saw on our way to town.. they too were Rose of Sharon. Very beautiful and many different colors. Thanks again for the goodies.... both Mojo and I will enjoy them.

• ruthz
    10 years ago

Jeanne, just a reminder in case you want to update.
    I mailed my package to Jayeanne on the 20th, but that was during the time that I couldn't post anything on GW.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update!

Jeanne - sends to Ruth (sent)
    Ruth - sends to Jayeanne (sent)
    Heidi - sends to Robin

I hope everyone had a good day!
    Jeanne

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

Want to send a big thank you to Ruth for the wonderful surprise in my mailbox today!! She sent a red t shirt with a dog on it super cute! dog bone tin filled with chocolate cherry sunflower seeds and winter squash seeds, and some treat bones for "ginger" thank you so much Ruth!! I really enjoyed the swap.

Jayeanne

• ruthz
    10 years ago

Jayeanne, I'm glad you liked your package. I couldn't find anything with a miniature pom on it and thought the dog on the t shirt was maybe a miniature pinscher. It was hard to tell with the picture. Hope Ginger and Izzy enjoy the treats.

I posted this picture on facebook yesterday, but wanted to share here also. It was my oldest grandson Lukasz's first day of college. He doesn't have a car yet, so I'll be driving him for a while. They grow up so fast.

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

According to the tracking # Robin's box arrived 8/19. I am assuming she received it, but haven't heard. I did mail it, though, I promise. If Robin didn't get it I'll send another box. If anyone knows...just let me know.
    Heidi

• sjc48
    10 years ago

Good Morning!

Jayeanne, just wanted to let you know that I'm away for a few days, will post about the "Dog Days" package when I get home.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
    Shirley!

• ruthz
    10 years ago

Gracie & I received our AWESOME doggie wrapped packages from Jeanne today.
    She was so excited she tried to help open.

• ruthz
    10 years ago

Grace loves the treats and the neckerchief is adorable.

• ruthz
    10 years ago

Thank you so much Jeanne. This was such awesome items.

• ruthz
    10 years ago

I don't do photobucket anymore and GW rejected most of the pictures I tried to post. Had to keep making them smaller. I'm going to post on FB if anyone would like to look at the pictures there (Ruth Lyles Zmroczek).

Jeanne was so creative and sent sooooo many things.
    I forgot to put the chili powder (for chili dogs) in the photo above.
    Neckerchief (made by Jeanne)
    Tasty Treats cookbook (will definitely use this)
    Dog cookie cutters
    Milkbone Marosnacks (Grace could smell them before I opened the box)
    Doggie notebook
    Pawzzles Pansies & Puppies
    chili powder

Thank you so much Jeanne. We both love it.

• sjc48
    10 years ago

Gracie is really a great looking dog, and so stylish with her neckerchief on! Jeanne always does a nice job on her packages.

Having a good time here in Kettering, taking care of Tabs and Myrna while their M&D are in North Carolina for a few days. I had forgotten how much energy little kids have, and how many questions they can ask in one day! Whew!!!!

Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow,
    Shirley!

• robin1962_2008
    10 years ago

HEIDI,Idid receive your package !! I`m sorry I didn`t post but I`ve been at Duke university Hospital with my sister and bil who is in the process of preparing for a liver transplant. My babies loved the treats you sent and I love the flower seeds!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

• robin1962_2008
    10 years ago

HEIDI,Idid receive your package !! I`m sorry I didn`t post but I`ve been at Duke university Hospital with my sister and bil who is in the process of preparing for a liver transplant. My babies loved the treats you sent and I love the flower seeds!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

• canfan
    10 years ago

I am happy to tell you Robin1962-2008, that the Rose of Sharon seems to be doing well... rehydrating and vertical!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ruth, I'm glad that you and Grace liked what I sent. I don't think I have swapped at all this summer except for this swap so I really enjoyed it.

Sorry not to have been online the last few days. I had to have a medical procedure done and for a day and a half I was absolutely miserable. I'm almost feeling back to normal now. I guess my surgery will get scheduled in September. Never like having surgery, but I've known this is ahead and it has been a long wait since late May.

Ou local college football team is playing their first game this evening so I've been watching that on TV. Now there is a "lightning delay."

I'll get the "sent and received list" updated tomorrow. The packages that were sent have been great!

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, it was a double post. My computer and GardenWeb are not getting along this evening.

This post was edited by sandlapper_rose on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 21:00

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the most recent update:
    Jeanne - sends to Ruth (received)
    Ruth - sends to Jayeanne (received)
    Heidi - sends to Robin (received)

Shirley will let us know about her package when she gets back home so that will wrap it up. Thanks for making this such an easy month to be hostess. I had fun and I hope you did, too.

I hope everyone has a safe and wonderful Labor Day Weekend!

Jeanne

• sjc48
    10 years ago

Hey Everyone! Just got home about 3:30, am totally wiped out, wanted to post about my package before I fall asleep standing up!

Jayeanne sent a really nice package, two packages actually, she forgot to put the dog treats in the first one! I got what I think is a leash holder, shaped like a dog bone, with 3 hooks on it; it says "good dog" but that can easily be changed to "good Kitties"!

Pink also sent a cinnamon pumpkin candle, a backpack size hand sanitizer (I use these ALOT), and a very sweet note, with baby Pugs on the front. And then there were the seeds she sent. I AM SO EXCITED! There were Coleus, sweet peas, California poppies and acorn squash. AND THEN, there was Broom Corn, Fleabane and Bishops Flower, all three of which great for attracting Butterflies!! I have one lonely little patch of Fleabane show up in a different spot every year, Now I'll have it where I want it! All three of these are new to me and I can't wait to get them planted!

Jayeanne, thank you very much for a great "Dog Days" package. Loved it!

If I didn't think I would wake up at 3 am and be awake for the rest of the day, I would go to bed NOW! Tabs and MyrnD were really good for me, but now I know why Chris sounds so tired sometimes, when I call. Gonna miss them, tho!

Jeanne, thanks for hosting a great swap! Take care of yourself, please!
    Shirley!

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

Hey Shirley! So glad you enjoyed your package, so very sorry in the delay of getting it mailed out. I am struggling here with the new format of yahoo, but hanging in there =)

Jayeanne