Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

o
NEW: aug 2013 fotess swap: the dog days of summer

Posted by sandlapper_rose z7B-8A SC (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 14:44

FOTESS is a group that requires membership in order to participate in the swap. If you want more information about membership, contact me or Shirley.
_______

We'll be enjoying the Dog Days of Summer this month. If you want to sign up, this swap will be very flexible. You can send anything as long as it relates in some way to "dog." It can be a plant, seeds, a decorative item, a food item, something gently used, or something you made or upcycled. There is no need to spend a lot. Just be a bit creative. (Make up a story about how it your item relates to "dog" if you need to and send a note along with your item.)

If your partner has a dog, will you enclose a dog biscuit or some little treat for the dog this month?
Maybe the cats need their own month later on. I know we swapped relating to birds once before.

I'll match partners that weekend.
Mail your item by August 20th.

A few extras we'll have here - first of all there will be a dog related game this month. Secondly, if you have a dog and are able to do so, please post a picture of your dog (or dogs) and tell a little about them. The third part is that I thought of a way to match partners using dog breeds. When you sign up, select a dog breed and list it here. Everyone needs a different breed, so don't pick one that's already listed. Once it gets close to August 9th watch for the way partners will be matched.

As for my dog, her name is Sydney and she's a little over 2 years old. After our much loved Golden Retriever passed away two years ago we decided to go with a smaller and short haired dog. It's hard because I think Golden Retrievers are wonderful. I guess everyone else does too because you always see them in commercials!
Back to Sydney, I searched on the internet to see what the rescue and shelter places had posted and found Sydney. She was 6 months old at the time and in SC - but far from where we live. I fell in love with her just from the pictures though and luckily after that long drive (and her getting car sick all the way home), it worked out.

We normally had registered dogs of a known breed, but now it's fun when people try to guess what Sydney is. Both of her ears might be held up (infrequently), both might be down, and often we see this one ear up and one ear down. I think it matches her personality! She was listed as a Australian Shepard mix, but I don't know that it's correct. We think she might have some Australian Cattle Dog and Greyhound in her. We have also seen a Catahoula Leopard Dog that looks something like her, but larger. On one episode of The Dog Whisperer we saw a "breed" called the Koolie and she has lots of those characteristics. (Has anyone had their dog DNA tested for breed? Syndey would be a good candidate for that!)

I'm signing up and I will pick the Golden Retriever since I don't know what to pick for Sydney's breed. You can pick any breed you want and non-dog owners are more than welcome!

Jeanne - Golden Retriever

Who else?
Jeanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NEW: aug 2013 fotess swap: the dog days of summer

• Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 15:19

Sounds like fun, Jeanne! I'm in!

I haven't had a dog since I was a kid, but I have always wanted a Saluki, so that's what you can put down for me.

Sydney looks like a great mix!

Hardly anyone I know has a dog, except for Margaret, a co-worker. If I can find a picture of her dog, Rocco, I'll post it later!

Shirley!

o

Hooray, now we have two:

Shirley - Saluki

o

• Posted by ruthz 8 dfw texas (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 16:10

I'll play this month.
Our dog is Grace (on paper she belongs to my daughter that doesn't have children), but the entire family calls her their dog.
I found her online at a local shelter after we lost our sweet Rottweiler mix Stacy. A lady in Houston had saved her from being euthanized at a shelter there, and brought her to Kanine Kountry in Burleson where she had been for about 9 months. She was about 18 months old when we got her. That was 2 years ago this month.
We did have her DNA tested. It's very interesting.
She's 1/2 Rottweiler, 1/4 German Shepherd & 1/4 Jindo.
We had never heard of Jindo. It's a Korean hunting dog.
Grace seems to have a lot of Jindo traits, so I'll go with that.

Ruth - Jindo

o

Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 16:24

That should be K9 Kountry instead of Kanine.
Didn't want to edit because of picture.

o

Sydney's adorable!!
I'll join this month, but I have no idea what I'll be sending!
Truth be told I'm really a cat person but our dog, Foofie, attached herself to me & we love each other. She was diagnosed with Addison's Disease in Sept. 2010 after a very lengthy process & a near-death experience and must take daily medication. We try to keep her as healthy & happy as possible. In other words, she's spoiled. In her honor I'll pick the breed Chow Chow. Here's a picture of her taken in April.

o

I forgot to mention that Foof will be 12 on Aug. 1 and we've had her since she was about 6 months old. We also found her online at a no-kill shelter in Rhode Island.

o

Ruth~
Our posts must've crossed becaused I missed the picture of Grace (love the name). I had to look up the Jindo; I'd never heard of them, either. What's her disposition like? She looks very sweet.

o

Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 17:53

She is sweet and very loving, BUT very bossy, demanding and independent.
We named her Grace because she isn't graceful at all.
She is better now than when we first got her. She would bump into tables and knock stuff over, then look at us like 'who did that'.
Foofie and Sydney are both adorable.

o

We adopted Max from a shelter about 3 years ago. He is part Schnauzer and we don't know what the rest of him is. He is spoiled and a loving dog. My 13-year-old loves to take care of him. He lets her brush him, clip him, dress him up and she even brushed his teeth once--with MY toothbrush. (Luckily I caught them.) My husband tells everyone the girls and I picked him out and didn't even ask about getting a dog so it's not his dog. He just came home one day and Max was there. That part's true. However, my husband is always slipping him a treat of some kind and taking special care of him.
Oh, and he barks like he's going to chew your leg off. If this was a castle, he'd be the guard dog of the princesses in the tower!
 photo 201107Max_zpscc85e732.jpg
So I'll choose Schnauzer!
Heidi

o

I would like to do this swap. We are definitely dog lovers. This picture is of our lovely little mutt and my daughters dachshund. Our dog was adopted from a shelter in Columbus, Ohio two years ago. We had just had our dog pass away at the age of 141/2. I just happened to be at the shelter because my son was volunteering and this little dog was in a small cage just sadly staring. She wouldn't even lift her head up for anyone. I asked them to let us see her and they took us all outside. She was absolutely loving and a perfect fit for us. They had given her the name of Shy but we changed it to Shiloh. She had been picked up on the streets and was pregnant. The shelter contacted the owners and they didn't want her back. (They then aborted the puppies). Anyway, their loss was definitely our gain as she is the sweetest dog and so behaved. She is a mutt for sure and we have no way of knowing what the heck she is.

Since I have no idea what Shiloh is, I will pick dachshund since my daughter's dog is that.

Now to get creative with the dog idea for this swap.

Margo

o

What cute dogs and it looks like everyone is ready to swap this month. It's nice that many of the dogs were dogs really in need of a home... and I know anyone in this group has given them a great home (but no, Heidi, my dog can't use my toothbrush... that was too funny!)

The weather is crazy everywhere so I thought this theme would be fun and if you want to use plants or seeds you can and if not, just be creative. I have my idea! ;-)

Swapping we have:
Shirley - Saluki
Ruth - Jindo
Janine - Chow Chow
Heidi - Schnauzer
Margo - Dachshund

That's it for me for this evening, ladies. Have a good night's rest.
Jeanne

o

Jeanne....fun idea for the month of August!! I would love to play a little "dog" with you ladies!

Will post a pic later ,but for now, I will choose my breed....of course, the German Shepherd.

Jeanne...thinking of you! I do hope you are feeling your best!

Must run!!

Annie

o

What beautiful, happy dogs everyone has. This photo of Kobi is a few years old. He turns eleven in November and he is going gray just like his mom, now.
I'm a Boxer, no question. Kobi is the 6th Boxer of my life and they have all been outstanding friends.
Fun theme, Jeanne.
Alana

o

This is a very cute idea!

Our Noah passed away when Taylor was little. And, since we have all the other critters we haven't thought about getting a dog of our own. But, we love dogs and my kids have "adopted" this cutey! His name is Clovis. He's an English Mastiff.

That's Taylor giving him a bear hug. He's a tiny 200pounds and putty in her hands, lol.

So I pick English Mastiff.

vina

o

Here's our updated list:

Shirley - Saluki
Ruth - Jindo
Janine - Chow Chow
Heidi - Schnauzer
Margo - Dachshund
Annie - German Shepherd
Alana - Boxer
Vina - English Mastiff

What great dogs! I'm really enjoying the pictures. When I retired from full-time work I had a small pet sitting business - just me as employee and boss - so I loved meeting the different breeds of dogs and other assorted pets. Having to work such odd hours, weekends, and holidays got old - and I did, too - so I closed my business a few years ago. I still keep in touch with a few of the owners.

Some have asked how I'm feeling. Still not well, but I get some good days and the good days are becoming more frequent so that's good. They are delaying the surgery until after I have a colonoscopy and that is not until late August. There are other painful issues (I'll spare you the details) but the surgery won't take care of them so I just hope everything will get well regardless and I can get back to feeling like myself and get things accomplished. I've done very little all summer. For awhile it was almost too painful to walk, so it has not been a good summer.

Okay, enough of all that. Anyway, thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

Jeanne

o

Sign me up, please. This is my Yorkie, Mojo. He is a true terrier. He likes to be the boss of our other dog and 2 cats. He is an entertainer, too. He "sings". His favorite tunes include Home on the Range and Ghostriders in the Sky.

o
RE: NEW: aug 2013 fotess swap: the dog days of summer...

The German Shepherd, my Big Boy Klaus and my newest addition, the very little lab girl Janika....on her recent birthday. Yes, they despise the birthday hats. I can not say I blame them.

o
RE: NEW: aug 2013 fotess swap: the dog days of summer!!!!!

Klaus, likes to look at himself on the computer...here we go!

o
RE: NEW: aug 2013 fotess swap: the dog days of Summer..........

And one more.........I love my little kids!!!!

o

would love to sign up!!

o

Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 21:14

Happy, Happy Birthday, Foofie!

Ruth, Grace certainly got the beauty and build of the Rottweiler-great looking dog!

Jeanne, thanks for the update, I'm glad things are a little bit better for you.

Alana, what a beautiful Boxer!

Annie, You made them wear the hats, hopefully they got party treats too! Nice looking dogs!

Peggy, nice to have you join in! Mojo looks like she is having a great time in the snow!

Vina, Beauty and the Beast, for real. Have never heard of an English Mastiff'.

Heidi, Max looks like my brother's dog Scruffy, who was passed on to a new and different home after he chewed up Jim's brand new jogging shoes!

Margo, cute little pooch! Does he get along with your cats?

Well, I couldn't find a picture of Rocco, and I couldn't find a picture of my brother's Walker Hounds, will try to find a pic of a Saluki and scan it in to share. They are really pretty dogs.
Off to bed!
Shirley!

o

I'll join this time! My dog is a mini pincher/terrier mix. He looks like a smaller version of the Doberman Pinscher, with folded ears. I'll find a picture and post it later on.

I'll take the Brussels Griffon for my dog type - if I ever get another dog, it'll probably be that, or a German Shepard (my husband likes those more).

Happy Friday!

Mandy

o

Welcome, Mandy, Peggy, Jayeanne, and Annie. We are having a great turnout this month!
I need breeds from several people so please post them. I need them in order to match partners.

I'll try to post a game by the beginning of the week.

Here's our updated list:

Shirley - Saluki
Ruth - Jindo
Janine - Chow Chow
Heidi - Schnauzer
Margo - Dachshund
Annie - German Shepherd
Alana - Boxer
Vina - English Mastiff
Mandy - Brussels Griffon
Peggy -
Annie -
Jayeanne -

I love all the dog pictures. I can tell you chose a picture where their personality shines through.

We are finally getting some sunny days. The rainy ones were fine with me because it was cooler, but thankful for these because most of the farmers have not been able to cut hay all summer. Usually lack of rain is the problem, this year no chance to cut it and allow to it dry in order to bale it.

Jeanne

o

Couldn't resist posting a picture of our little Shilo and her best friend, Tenny. Tenny was found in a box downtown on my birthday a year and a half ago. Someone put her there with a note on the box that said, "please take me home". She was 25 feet from the highway and could easily jump out of the box. Why???? Thankfully she got a good home.

Margo

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 14:51

All these dog pics are just hilarious!! Jeanne, Sydney the rescue dog is right up my alley! Catahoula was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw her photo.

Well as another dog owner and dog lover, I certainly will have to join in this month! My dog is a terrier wonder dog. You know, those scruffy dogs that you wonder what might be in him, and you can't quite put your finger on what exactly their breed combination might be. His name is Woolie (shortened from Wolfgang). I've had him for 13 years, since he was a puppy. He is probably the most laid back, calm and obedient dog I know. Like many terriers, his fur grows long. We let it grow out for the winter, and he turns into a big fluffy hairball (my favorite). By the time spring rolls around, temps are getting warmer and warmer, and its time for his big haircut of the year. Usually that results in clipping off enough hair to make another whole dog.

BEFORE

AFTER

TWO DOGS

As for picking a dog breed... wow, that's a tough decision. I have been lucky enough to have met and worked with so many different yet wonderful breeds of dogs over the years, in family settings, livestock settings, and hunting settings. But I think I will choose the Airedale Terrier. I love the terrier look, I like medium sized dogs, they are good family dogs as well as very versatile hunting dogs.

o

Hi Everyone:
I just emailed our hostess, but wanted to let you all know I have to drop out of this one. Have fun.
Janine
PS Love all your pictures.

o

Thanks for letting me know, Janine.

Wow, that is an incredible amount of clipped off dog hair! Very cute dog though.

I will try to start a game for us by Wednesday.

Here's our updated list:

Shirley - Saluki
Ruth - Jindo
Heidi - Schnauzer
Margo - Dachshund
Annie - German Shepherd
Alana - Boxer
Vina - English Mastiff
Mandy - Brussels Griffon
Peggy -
Annie -
Jayeanne -

I hope Peggy, Annie, and Jayeanne stop back by to choose a breed. Otherwise, I'll just "assign one" to each.

Talk later,
Jeanne

o

Duh... I remembered to comment on hte dog hair and forgot to add Katie to the list. Here we go:

Shirley - Saluki
Ruth - Jindo
Heidi - Schnauzer
Margo - Dachshund
Annie - German Shepherd
Alana - Boxer
Vina - English Mastiff
Mandy - Brussels Griffon
Katie - Airedale Terrier
Peggy -
Annie -
Jayeanne -

o

Evening everyone!!

These dog pictures are so adorable!

Katie, Woolie is so cute! With his fur on he looks like chewbacka the wookie from Star Wars (sorry, geek alert, lol)

Jeanne, I think Annie chose her breed already, German Shepard.

Such a cute party, Annie . How did you keep the hats on? My Noah wouldn't have lasted one second with a hat on.

Taking the kids on a nature walk/ fishing trip tomorrow. Hubby's on vaca :)

Have a super night!
vina

o

hello! been waiting and hoping to find my "lost" camera unfortunately it is not found yet, so Im going to have to post with out a picture of our dogs, a miniature pom. Her name is Ginger. We also have a min pin named "Izzy". I thought i would have found the camera by now... just thinking i left it out in the garden somewhere but searched high and low today and nothing =( I hope it turns up soon before the rain just in case it did get left outside.

o

Good news! I got the job! I made it through the physical today. Next week is orientation. Part-time chaplain at a meat packing plant 15 miles away. I'm so excited!
Heidi

o

Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 22:36

Great news, Heidi! Congratulations! Wishing you all the best with the new job!

Love all the dog pictures, Woolie Is just great, hair or no hair!

Shirley!

o

Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 22:37

Great news, Heidi! Congratulations! Wishing you all the best with the new job!

Love all the dog pictures, Woolie Is just great, hair or no hair!

Shirley!

o

Hi from central Washington...I'II go with Yorkshire Terrior since that is my dogs breed. Peggy

o

Congratulations on getting the job, Heidi! I'm so happy for you.

I figured out that I had Annie on the list twice, so I had the right breed for her, just had her doubled. (Annie, you're so great we needed 2 of you!)

Shirley - Saluki
Ruth - Jindo
Heidi - Schnauzer
Margo - Dachshund
Annie - German Shepherd
Alana - Boxer
Vina - English Mastiff
Mandy - Brussels Griffon
Katie - Airedale Terrier
Peggy - Yorkshire Terrier
Jayeanne - Pomeranian

Okay, I'm going to say goodbye for now before I make another mistake!

Jeanne

o

Loving all these dogs..............

Congrats Heidi!!!

Happy Tuesday!

Annie

o

Loving all these dogs..............

Congrats Heidi!!!

Happy Tuesday!

Annie

o

We have a new member to welcome - Sharon. Her GardenWeb name is Toomanyanimals. Welcome, Sharon! You'll enjoy our little group. We'll be happy to have you sign up for this month's swap and we would love it if you tell us a little about yourself.

I have a game for us. However, I'm going to ask that you send your answers to me by e-mail. Otherwise it's hard to judge who wins with some people working odd hours, etc. I don't want to make it unfair for people who play a bit later on. Answer as many as you can by the end of the day August 10 and then I will see who has all correct or the most correct. If there is one with the most correct, she is the winner. If there is a tie, we'll have a tie breaker.

Anyone who is a current member of FOTESS can participate. You don't have to be signed up for this month's swap in order to play the game. I will mail a small prize to the winner.

Now for the questions:
The Doggie "Dozen Plus" Questions

1. Yes or No: Is there any mention of dogs in the Bible?
2. True or False: Dalmations are born black and later get the white in their coat color.
3. Why do dogs have wet noses?
4. Dagwood in the comic strip has a female dog named _______.
5. Yes or No: Did any dogs from onboard The Titanic survive the sinking of the ship?
6. Dorothy's dog in The Wizard of Oz is named _______.
7. President FDR had a Scottish Terrier named ______.
8. Yes or No: Does Chinese Astrology have a sign of the dog?
9. What was the country of origin of the Poodle?
10. Do dogs have fewer or more taste buds than humans?
11. What's the name of the dog in the Garfiled comic strip?
12. True or False: Raisins are a good non-fattening treat to give to your dog.
13. True or False: Rin Tin Tin was a Collie.
14. True or False: The Goldendoodle can be registered with the American Kennel Club.
15. True or False: 101 Dalmations was a novel before it became a film.

Good luck!
Jeanne

This post was edited by sandlapper_rose on Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 22:23

o

Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 7:39

Welcome to Friends of the Earth-Simple Swaps, Sharon!
And, I think we might be neighbors - I live in Monroe, MI, I'm thinking Woodhaven is just north of me.

Tough Game, Jeanne, what in the world is a Goldendoodle?

Have a great day, All!
Shirley!

o

Congratulations Heidi!
Welcome Sharon!
I'm glad you left some time for the doggie game, Jeanne. Those questions will take a little work.
Hail this morning, then rain all day. I have chores I need to finish indoors today anyway.
Alana

o

Thanks for the welcomes.
Shirley, yes, I'm just 15 minutes north of you. :o)

So ... Who am I?

I'm a gardener by birth,
A Medical Technologist by trade,
A wife by marriage,
A mother by love.

I joined GW back in 2002. My Dad had been a big gardener and I'm sure I got it from him. He was into only food gardens ... He used to chuckle at all my flowers. I have only a tiny vegetable garden ... Sigh.
I live in the suburbs, backing up to school land which is a small wood.
I love to grow from seed.
I have sun, shade, and woodland gardens ... All in a cottage style. I love to 'pack them in'.
Hubby and I are in an empty nest along with Ahi the cat and Cassius (Cash) the dog.
I do recycle some but hope to pick up some usable ideas from FOTESS.
Thank you for including me in your group!
Sharon

o

I'd love to join the swap this month.
We too are dog lovers. We have a Border Collie that we rescued from a high kill shelter 1 and 1\2
years ago ... he could have something else in him ... but who knows or cares?
He is 2 1/2 years old and has a heart of gold and brains like Einstein. LOL

So I choose Border Collie.

Cash is on the right (he has had his hair shaved for the summer), on the left is Cash's best friend and my brothers dog .... Odie, a Bernice Mountain dog.

o

Yikes, what happened to the picture?
I'll try again.
Sharon

Cash is on the right (he has had his hair shaved for the summer), on the left is Cash's best friend and my brothers dog .... Odie, a Bernice Mountain dog.

o

Ok, its been a while since I've post a picture in the messages so I've been to the test forum to figure it out again.
Hopefully it will work this time.
Odie and Cash.

o

Couldn't resist posting a pic of my cat with Cash.

o

Thanks to all who are sending in answers for the doggie questions. I'm sure there will be more.

Sharon, Cash looks so much like my Sydney. I wonder if Sydney has some Border Collie in her bloodline. Anyway, cute dogs and the cat is so pretty, too!
Are you signing up for the swap and if so, what breed would you like to be listed as?

I'm sorry I haven't been online much today. For some reason I was very tired today and got little done. Hopefully I'll be full of energy tomorrow.

Sweet dreams, everyone!
Jeanne

o

Jeanne,
Yep, I'm joining the swap this month..
I choose Border Collie as my breed.

When I first saw Sydney, I thought, 'she looks like that Leopard Dog'. Couldn't remember the name till I saw what you posted ... Catahoula Leopard Dog. I also thought maybe Australian Shepherd, but they tend to be a little bigger and heaver than Border Collies, so yes, maybe some Border Collie in her too. You should get her tested, she is a beauty and I best smart as a whip!
////Sharon

o

Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 9:46

Haha, it's ok Jeanne, that huge pile of dog hair (aka, the extra dog) can be very distracting. I'm going to work on my answers to the doggie questions today.

Vina, you aren't the first to call him Chewie when he "lets his hair down!"

Heidi, CONGRATS! I know you'll do a great job. I had no idea that some corporations hired chaplains to provide assistance to their employees (had to go read about that).

Sharon, so nice to see you join FOTESS! Sharon and I were swap partners in the OBF May swap. She sent me such a great box of wonderful native plants.

o

Our updated list.

Shirley - Saluki
Ruth - Jindo
Heidi - Schnauzer
Margo - Dachshund
Annie - German Shepherd
Alana - Boxer
Vina - English Mastiff
Mandy - Brussels Griffon
Katie - Airedale Terrier
Jayeanne - Pomeranian
Sharon - Border Collie

Sign ups will be taken until the end of the day tomorrow. Then I'll tell you how I am using the breeds to assign partners and I'll post that here on the thread.

As for Sydney being smart, I think so. The odd part is I usually took our dogs to classes and then we got to see how quickly they would learn things compared to others. Sydney still does not ride well in cars so she has not taken classes and I've been pretty lazy about teaching her things here at home, but I'll guess she's pretty smart. Dogs always seem to learn how to train their owners, I'll say that for them!

Jeanne

o

Jeanne, I will get my "dog" answers emailed off to you by the 10th.

Welcome Sharon!!!

Out the door....Happy Thursday!!

Annie

o

Jeanne, I will get my "dog" answers emailed off to you by the 10th.

Welcome Sharon!!!

Out the door....Happy Thursday!!

Annie

o

I`d love to join in this month!! I love all the dogs pics!!! I have 2 dog babies!! Crystal is brown black and white, app.7 years oldJack Russell and Chihuahua mix.My granddaughter picked her out and named her after Frosty The Snowman`s girlfriend !! Gracie is 3 years old,almost white,Shih Tzu mix. She was born on the day my husband was diagnosed with cancer,(he passed away two weeks later).She has been such a blessing and comfort to me,definately brought to me by God`s grace!!
I`m trying to post pics. My dog breed will be Shih Tzu!!

o

Well I just got one pic,now to try for Crystal !!!

o

Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 7:53

Morning!
Hi Robin, nice to have you joining in this month! Great pics of the dog babies!

Jeanne, just sent you Peggy's answers for the game, let me know if you get them, not sure if I did it right!

Hey, Partners today!!

Have a great day, ALL!!
Shirley!

o

Welcome, Robin! I love your dog pictures. I didn't realize Crystal was Frosty's girlfriend. We had a dog named Crystal! Everyone's dogs look so happy and who would expect otherwise.

Our updated list.
Shirley - Saluki
Ruth - Jindo
Heidi - Schnauzer
Margo - Dachshund
Annie - German Shepherd
Alana - Boxer
Vina - English Mastiff
Mandy - Brussels Griffon
Katie - Airedale Terrier
Jayeanne - Pomeranian
Sharon - Border Collie
Robin - Shih Tzu

I'll post who you send to tomorrow morning just in case someone planned to sign up this evening.

Shirley, I received Peggy's answers from you. Thanks!

Now for some time spent on cleaning house. Not my favorite!

Jeanne

o

While you ae waiting for the name of the person you send to and the second part of the dog question game (assuming we have a tie), I thought I would add some information about the Dog Days of Summer.

From Wikipedia and similar information found on other sites:

The Romans referred to the dog days as dies caniculares and associated the hot weather with the star Sirius. They considered Sirius to be the "Dog Star" because it is the brightest star in the constellation Canis Major (Large Dog). Sirius is also the brightest star in the night sky. The term "Dog Days" was used earlier by the Greeks

The Dog Days originally were the days when Sirius rose just before or at the same time as sunrise, which is no longer true, owing to precession of the equinoxes. The Romans sacrificed a red dog in April to appease the rage of Sirius, believing that the star was the cause of the hot, sultry weather.

Dog Days were popularly believed to be an evil time "the Sea boiled, the Wine turned sour, Dogs grew mad, and all other creatures became languid; causing to man, among other diseases, burning fevers, hysterics, and phrensies." according to Brady’s Clavis Calendaria, 1813

I also found a little video about the Dog Days of Summer for those who are interested:
http://www.almanac.com/video/weather-wisdom-august-dog-days-summer

Enjoy! We are in line with a long time group of people who observed the Dog Days of Summer!
Jeanne

o

Partners!!!!

What I did with the dog breeds was to put them in alphabetical order. You send to the person after you on the list - the one exception is the Yorkie at the end sends to the Airedale who is first. I have some addresses but not all so if you need an address for the member you send to, I suggest you get in touch with your partner and confirm the address.

Here we go:
Katie - Airedale Terrier sends to
Sharon - Border Collie sends to
Alana - Boxer sends to
Mandy - Brussels Griffon sends to
Margo - Dachshund sends to
Vina - English Mastiff sends to
Annie - German Shepherd sends to
Jeanne - Golden Retriever sends to
Ruth - Jindo sends to
Jayeanne - Pomeranian sends to
Shirley - Saluki sends to
Heidi - Schnauzer sends to
Robin - Shih Tzu sends to
Peggy - Yorkshire Terrier....

and Peggy will send to Katie.

If how I posted this confuses you just get back in touch with me. Everyone have fun!

I want to make sure I got all the e-mails with the guesses for the dog game. I have them from Shirley, Robin, and Jayeanne. Mandy also sent but I think some of the numbers didn't copy when she pasted it so I'm waiting to hear back and Annie says she will send answers to me today. Anyone who is playing, please send them by the end of the day today. Then if we have a tie, there will be a second part to the game to determine the winner.

Have a great day!
Jeanne

o

Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 11:44

Jeanne, Peggy sent hers in!
Shirley!

o

Good Morning FOTESSERS,

Jeanne, I emailed my answers to you yesterday. I will resend in a few minutes.

Annie

o

Annie and Peggy. I have your answers, too. Sorry. My computer was trying to run a scan and it's hard to get to the e-mail when it does that. Anyone else?

Ruth, I'm looking forward to sending to you.

Jeanne

o

Here is my puppy - I got him from the rescue about 5 years ago (when he was about 3). He's a great dog. :-)

o

Another cute dog for us! Thanks for sharing the picture.

I think everyone has now guessed the dog questions if they planned to so I'll give the results. We have a 2 way tie for 1st place between Annie and Katie who both got all of the answers right! I'll post part 2 tomorrow and that will determine the overall winner.

Here are the answers:
The Doggie 'Dozen Plus'
1. Yes or No: Is there any mention of dogs in the Bible? YES
2. True or False: Dalmations are born black and later get the white in their coat color. FALSE
3. Why do dogs have wet noses? Wet noses help dogs pick up on scents/smells.
4. Dagwood in the comic strip has a female dog named DAISY
5. Yes or No: Did any dogs from onboard The Titanic survive the sinking of the ship? YES
6. Dorothy's dog in The Wizard of Oz is named TOTO
7. President FDR had a Scottish Terrier named FALA
8. Yes or No: Does Chinese Astrology have a sign of the dog? YES
9. What was the country of origin of the Poodle? GERMANY
10. Do dogs have fewer or more taste buds than humans? FEWER
11. What's the name of the dog in the Garfiled comic strip? ODIE
12. True or False: Raisins are a good non-fattening treat to give to your dog. FALSE
13. True or False: Rin Tin Tin was a Collie. FALSE
14. True or False: The Goldendoodle can be registered with the American Kennel Club. FALSE
15. True or False: 101 Dalmations was a novel before it became a film. TRUE

Everyone did really well on guessing the answers and thanks to everyone who took the time to do that.

Back in the morning! Part 2 involves a picture so I need to get my camera hooked up to download and post it. Too late to deal with that tonight so I'm off to bed!

Jeanne

o

Congrats Annie and Katie.
I meant to play, but I am in the middle of a home "improvement" project and ran out of time and energy.
Great game, Jeanne.
Alana

o

Here's Part 2 of the Doggie Questions Game: it's a tie breaker between Annie and Katie so I'll be watching for those two guesses. You can either post them here or e-mail them to me, whichever you feel more comfortable doing.

Look at the picture. The dry dog food is the brand that we feed to Sydney. The glass bowl holds about 1 c. liquid so you can have an idea of the size. For the grand prize: How many pieces of dog food are in the bowl?

Good luck, Annie and Katie!
The guess closest to the actual number wins.
I'll announce the winner after I've heard from both.

o

LOL!!!!!! Great tie breaker. Sydney, now that is a darn nice bowl of chow!

Jeanne, I will be emailing you my guess soon...I need to drink some coffee first...it helps me think!!

Good luck Katie!

Annie

o

Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 12:47

Haha! Annie is right, this is a funny tie breaker. And, my my, Sydney, that is a very nice dog food bowl, LoL!
Jeanne, I will go email my guess to you, as well.
Good luck to you, Annie!!!!

Cute pooches, Robin and Mandy!

Sharon, I get to send to you. YAY!!

Katie

o

And we have a winner!!!

Annie guessed 136
Katie guessed 124

The actual number was 215.
Annie is our winner - congratulations!
Congratulations to Katie, too, on all the good answers.

And yes, I did count each piece of dog food as the pets sat there intently watching me. I'm sure they wondered what I was doing and why. They each got a treat after they had to sit there and watch.

Prize will likely get mailed out the day I mail to my swap partner... and I'm not ready yet. ;-(
Don't forget to post when you mail and receive your swap items. Chatting is encouraged, too.

I know we have/had some birthdays this month so next on my list is to look for the August birthdays and post a Happy Birthday to those members. I seem to be slow, slow, slow at everything since I got sick... or gee, maybe it's from getting older!

Happy Dog Days of Summer!

Jeanne

o

Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 20:07

Congrats, Annie!! And how funny that our guesses were so close together. Great minds think alike!

Oh, Jeanne, I'm sure you aren't the only one who isn't ready to mail out yet. I know I'm not!

So this weekend, my DH and I spent some time poking around in the local woods. We stumbled upon a very nice colony of a native plant called Hoary Mountain Mint (Pycnanthemum incanum). It is described as a subshrub and was growing in a pine savannah type habitat. The most fantastic thing about it was how much the swallowtails liked it! There were tons of several different species of swallowtails nectaring on the plant. It must have been some super nectar, too, because they hardly noticed our presence!

o

Sorry I haven't been around. I have spent the last four weekends moving kids in or out of their apartments. My daughter moved out of one place two weeks ago and in to another one this weekend. My son moved to Indiana last week for a coop through his University, and my daughter and son in law moved to a new apartment. I am so glad that is all over. Time to get back into the garden.

I have my partner Vina in mind and will start deciding what to get in my box.

Sorry I missed the game. Looks like you have been having fun.

Margo

o

Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 20:43

Great picture Katie. I usually have a hard time getting pictures of swallowtails.
Any idea where to get seeds for that plant?
Loving all the dog pictures too.

o

Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 21:50

Ruth, just checked it out on two of my "butterfly seeds" sites and Prairie Moon Nursery has the seeds for Hoary Mountain Mint, only they are calling it Pycnanthemum pilosum, and it says it is a great plant for pollinators. Their picture looks the same as, and is almost as good as Katie's! You can get plants there too, but not right now. The flower is really beautiful.
The other site, EasyWildFlowers, has one called Narrow Leaf Mountain mint.

Thanks, Katie, another step closer to getting rid of the butterfly bushes!

Would you believe I am already starting to clear out some plants in my gardens? The 3 weeks of rain we had earlier this summer, combined with a week of darned near 100 degrees, really nailed some of my plants, especially the pansies. Bummer. I had 2 pots of blue borage and one of white and they all got flooded out and then fried. I lost one pot and the other two are just now coming back and starting to bloom. Not so sure I like the white. And, my sweet peas are just now starting to bloom. Am I wrong in thinking these should have bloomed about a month ago?

Heidi, I'm on a roll with your "doggone" package, expect to mail it this weekend.

Drat, I have to work 8-4 for the next two weeks. Better head for bed.
Have a great week, All!!
Shirley!

o

Oh my goodness Katie....you and I were really close on our guesses. Yes, great minds do think alike!!!

Jeanne, GSD Klaus ordered something online for you this morning...will be delivered direct from the store. I will let you know after it is shipped and an approximate date of delivery. I will be sending an envelope to you from here as well. I do not know what will arrive first, so hold off opening anything until you receive the store package and the envelope!

And Shirley, the canines despise those birthday hats. They agree to wear them for one minute, and one minute only and then they are gone with the wind. Do I give them treats...of course!!

Happy Monday!!

Annie

o

Mandy, I will probably mail yours out early next week. I'll post when I do.
Fun swap, Jeanne.
Alana

o

Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 7:40

Good Morning!
What a summer of extremes this has been! It was down close to 45 here last night! Good Grief!
Have a great day, All,
Shirley!

o

I am going through orientation at my new job. Interesting and stressful. So many crazy stories...today I got there at 6 a.m. as usual. At 7:15 a.m. (after watching several training videos on things that didn't pertain to me) the leader said, "Oh, I made a mistake. You didn't need to come until 9 a.m." So I went to Wal-Mart and rescued 10 plants! ha
Robin, Crystal and Gracie's box is going out today. The # is 9405 5036 9930 0027 8828 24. I didn't plan to be home yet today and I don't know what's coming with this training so I'm doing things when I can!
Heidi

o

Just a quick hello. I think everyone is busy with getting kids back to school, etc. Soon we'll be posting about packages being mailed. I must admit I am eager to see what goodies are sent this month. (Heidi, it was good you took advantage of a quieter day to get things mailed. My things are not ready to go yet.)

I want to wish all of our August birthday girls a Happy Birthday! I've been meaning to do this for over a week now!
Our August birthdays are:
Becky (booberry85) Aug. 5
Corrine (corrine1) Aug. 18th
Vina (flowergirl34) Aug. 21st
I hope I didn't miss anyone. If I did, let me know.

Enjoy those special days!
Jeanne

o

Alana, I need your address.

o

Alana, I need your address.

o

I sent it to you just now. Apparently there are problems with my GW email again so if you don't receive it let me know here.
Alana

o

Happy Birthday to the ladies of August... Becky, Corrine and Vina!!!

Jeanne, sent you an email (not via GW) about an hour ago. The Kohls part of your "Dog Days" should arrive at your home tomorrow (Saturday) according to the tracking (one or two packages). As stated in your email, they have my name on the shipping but your address, which is obviously not what I typed in. The tracking says it is FEDEX but sometimes that changes. Hopefully, it gets to you. I have my phone number on it, so hopefully if someone is "confused" they will call me...LOL! That is wishful thinking! I am sending from the PO the other part of your "Dog Days" out tomorrow or Monday. Wait and open everything together.

I need a margarita now.....a large one with plenty of tequila and bitters. Cheers!

Happy Friday...Happy weekend to all.

Annie

o

Happy belated birthday to Becky and happy upcoming birthdays to Corrine and Vina.

Life has been busy and I am waiting for it to slow down. I have my box items ready but have to actually do it up and get it mailed. It will probably be out on deadline day. I am headed out of town tomorrow night as I am meeting the owner of my store for a buying spree for out store at the Columbus market. I will be back on Monday.

I am running my fourth 5k tomorrow morning. I have been preparing this time so hopefully it will be my best run. I run another one next weekend.

Hope everyone had a good week and have a good weekend. Margo

o

All spring and summer I've driven by this house in town. They live on the corner and the two sidewalks cross so there's a spot 3' x 3' where they have roses. Growing up through the middle of the beautiful red rose bush was an elm tree volunteer. The elm tree split into 3 parts and grew like it was a rocket taking off for the moon. I wanted to stop and cut it off with my cutters, but I resisted. My kids don't want me arrested. This week I drove by and they cut out the rose bush and left the ugly elm tree. I almost cried.

On the happy side, look at these beautiful dwarf pink zinnias at a park. There are daylilies, then the beautiful pink zinnias. Soon the mums will bloom and then the autumn joy sedum will turn pink. The maiden hair grass is a fluffy beauty, too. Just wanted to share it with you!
 photo 20130816zinniaeastside_zpsd9fdd20c.jpg
Heidi

o

Jeanne,

Just checked tracking on your KOHLS stuff...one item was left on your front porch yesterday (hopefully). The other KOHLS part looks like delivery will be in a couple of days....and should be delivered by USPS. I will be sending your little envelope out tomorrow. So everything should be in your hot little hands by Friday and then you can open it up.

Happy Sunday!!

Annie

o

Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 20:51

Hi Everyone!
I hope everybody had a great weekend. I did, got lots of trimming, cutting back, digging up and transplanting today, it was a great day! Beautiful weather here.

Margo, did you race today or is that next weekend?

Annie, did your white borage bloom for you? Mine got rained out, then fried, and it is just now starting to bloom-I've had one lonely flower, so far. Pretty tho.

Heidi, your "Dog Days of Summer" package is going out tomorrow. This was a challenge!

Jeanne, this was a tough one! It didn't help that I know almost nothing about dogs.
Hope you are feeling all right!
Have a great week, All!
Shirley!

o

Shirley, I ran the race yesterday. This is called a "color" run and as you run the race, you go through areas where they spray color on you which is basically colored starch. At the end of the race, you are a bit of a rainbow. It does wash off easily. I run another race on Saturday but this one is a run/dance. You stop at areas and do the required dance.

I am away this weekend and went with the owner of my store to a buying fair to buy products for the spring. I will be heading home tomorrow and will get my box closed up and mailed on Tuesday. Sorry about hitting the deadline, I try to get my packages out early but it didn't work this time.

Hope everyone had a good weekend. Margo

o

Alana, I did get your address, thank you. I will be sending out your package today.
Since this is my first swap with this group I hope I do alright. I've been fretting about it a little ... don't want to overdo or underdo it. :o)

Margo, the color race sounds great. I've heard of them before and seen them on the web. I've tried talking my daughter into going to one, but no luck so far.
Did they tell you the dances you would have to do for the 'run/dance' run beforehand?

Heidi, beautiful picture of the park.

Happy Birthday to the August Girls ... Becky, Corrine and Vina.

Katie, I loved the picture of the butterflies in the field!!!!

Off to take the dog for a walk on this Dog Day of August.
Sharon

o

Margo - Your items are going in the mail tomorrow. I am running right up on the deadline, but I have everything here now, so it will go out on time! :-)

Have a great week everyone!

Mandy

o

Thank you for all the birthday wishes :)

Happy Birthday Becky and Corrine!!

Heidi, LOVE the pic of the garden! I wish our parks had gardens like that. So pretty!

Margo, Congratulations on your run! That sounds like so much fun! I would love to try one of the dance ones. Have you ever tried a Mud Run? Hubby wants us to do one in Sept. :)

Annie, your puppy pack is on its way. I hope you enjoy it. I had a little difficulty picking just the right things...even had the kids help, lol. Your DC# is 9114 9010 7574 2347 9889 60
It says you should have it on Wed.

On another thread I posted how I rec'd 2 antique wagon wheels...best part...FOR FREE! I got them set and in the ground this weekend. Put them in my annual bed. Unfortunately, it's been SO wet this year my annuals in that bed all turned to mushy rot. Hoping to get a pic of them later today :)

And, hubby surprised me last night by staking out the area for my pergola. I have wanted one for YEARS! It's all staked out 10x12, not huge, but a pretty good size. Will be digging holes and setting the footers this week!! SO EXCITED! Will have to post pics when that's done.

Have a great Monday!!
vina :)

ps. since we don't have a dog anymore, I thought I would share a photo of 'the boys'. Cash and Dozer outside in their playpen :)

o

Just popping in to say hello. Sorry to have been away for a few days. It was my mother-in-law's 90th birthday so my husband and I drove to where she lives, our older daughter flew to the east coast from CA and then rode down with my younger daughter and her husband --- and we had a wonderful weekend spending time together and celebrating my mother-in-law's birthday.(She is a healthy and happy 90 year old so what more can you ask?) I hadn't seen my older daughter since April of last year so it was great!
Anyway, I came home to several days in a row that are very busy for me, so I'll have to wait to get caught up on reading everything and posting. In fact, I may be a day or two late sending out my swap, which I know is very bad manners on the part of the hostess!
Anyway, I wanted to let you know that I am okay and will get caught up soon.

Vina, Cash and Dozer are very cute!

Jeanne

o

Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 16:31

Happy Day, Everyone!

Heidi, your box is on the way, PO Lady said it should be there Thursday, hope you enjoy! I have the DC# if we need it.

The "Boys" are so cute, Vina!

Jeanne, sounds like a great time was had by all!

Off to get some dinner,
Shirley!

This post was edited by sjc48 on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 16:58

o

Hello everyone. The dog days are here. We have had a pretty cool summer but now we are going to be in the high 80's this week. At least the evenings are going to cool down.

I mailed my package today but chances are they won't touch it til tomorrow. They apparently only empty the box each day at 3:30 pm. I got it there about 3:00 so maybe it will be on the way in the morning. The DC number is in the other room so I am playing lazy and will post it next time.

I am attempting to post a picture of the color run we did. I have a new computer and I am not computer savvy so I did my best. My husband always says when I am frustrated to just play around so I did. If it shows up, the picture is of myself, my two daughters, and my son in law.

Margo

o

Margo, you got the picture posted. It looks like lots of fun!

Ruthz asked me to post that post that she mailed her package today to pinkiris. She's not able to post on the RR Forum.

I had lots of pain today so i didn't complete my swap package yet, but I'm hopeful I can do it tomorrow. So sorry for the delay.

Jeanne

o

Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 20:20

Well, I'm getting my package off to Sharon just under the wire! Been trying to get my act together for days now. DC # 9114901159815856885714

Vina, those are guinea dogs, not pigs!

Margo, the color race looks hilarious. I'm afraid if I were in that, I would never finish because I would be laughing so much.

Jeanne, hope you feel better!

And Happy Birthday to the August ladies, Vina, Becky, and Corrine :)

This past weekend, I finally found a native plant (in the wild) that I have been searching for ages. It's called Apios americana and goes by the common name of ground nut, Indian potato, or wild potato. It has a lovely flower, it's edible, and also serves as a host plant for the silver-spotted skipper. I'm super excited!

o

Margo - your package mailed today! I sent you the tracking # under a separate email.

Thank you!
Mandy

o

Morning!

Margo, love the picture! Such a beautiful family :)

LOL! Katie, Guinea Dogs! Have to tell Taylor that one. Too funny! And the wild potato is a very pretty plant. Since you've been searching for a while is it on the endangered plant list? I was surprised when I looked up the NY list. It's shocking and sad to see how many plants are on it.

I have a weird ? for ya'll. I'm trying to kill...no...I think the word is decimate this wild pampas grass junk that has taken over a part of my stream bed. It grows on these thick runners and is popping up everywhere. It gets about 10 ft. tall. It's 'grass' is sharp like razors and the stalk is so tough that it will stab you! This stuff is the plant from hell. Anyway, I've mowed it down with the mower and I'm thinking of getting a bag of rock salt and dumping in on it. Do you think this will kill it? Or will it 'run'? Has anyone ever tried or had this problem plant in their garden? It just showed up a couple of years ago on the breeze. Looked real pretty at first...then...it got really ugly when it took over! :(

Any advice would be super. I just don't want it to make it to the pond. Then I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

vina

ps. I already tried Round-Up...I think it laughed at me while I was spraying it.

o

I received my swap from Annie and I'll say WOW - she sent multiple packages so I was very spoiled by her! Annie sent a doormat that says "Wipe Your Paws" (perfect), a pair of kitchen towels with palms on them (my kitchen towels are so worn - these will be great), and then a package with lots of goodies: 2 really cute notes (one written by Annie and one "written" by her dog Klaus), a newspaper clipping about popular dog names and breeds, and for Sydney some beef flavored bones and lamb treats (she was very excited to get something for her in the mail), leash luggage that you can use for carrying "pick up bags", and Hot Tamales candy - which Annie explained was the closest thing she could find to "hot dog" that she could mail.
Anyway, it was way more than necessary... and very sweet of you. Thank you so much!

I'll update our list a bit later if I can still get on the computer. There are thunderstorms rolling through so I've had the computer off for awhile. Sorry I've been "quiet" this week - really quite worn out from the trip and came back to multiple doctor's appointments. Sometimes you just wait and wait and wait to be seen and that was the case today.

Annie, I can't thank you enough. I think my swap that I received was "Dog Days of Christmas"!

I'm hoping to get my packages mailed out by the end of the week - prize to Annie and package to Ruth. I'm sorry to be running late.

Happy Birthday, Vina!
(...and Vina, lots of people grow pampas grass here in SC. It's common alongside driveways. I'll see if I can find any recommendations on how to get rid of it.)

I like the wild potato plant, Katie! So interesting that you found an endangered plant - and when it was in bloom, too, but I guess that made it easier to find.

Jeanne

o

Vina, today is your big day...Happy, Happy Birthday! Cheers!

Your plant "Q" above. I agree with you, ROUND UP laughed, laughed, laughed at you when you sprayed. It certainly has laughed at me before. Some of that grass showed up a few years ago in my yard. It was cool at the beginning but then got out of control huge. I cut it down to the ground and sent my husband out to remove it, telling him it would provide him with that therapeutic cardiovascular excercise he so desperatly needed....LOL. It took him nearly 2 hours to get the root system out of the ground. I should have tried pool acid on it....several saturations might have sent it to hell....not sure!

And Miss Vina, I opened my wonderful package from you. Vina, you and your helpers always do a fantastic job shopping for me!

I received.....

*A lovely card and note.

*seeds...Fleabane Daisy and Hair Allium...so appropriate....HAIR and FLEA. Lots of hair around this house but never any fleas, knock on wood!

*Crazy Paws toy...it squeaks...to cute. Little Lab Janika has just taken it over. So funny how dogs love squeaky toys.

*a darling picture frame. It has dogs, dog bones and dog foot prints on the frame. I am a big picture person...people and dogs all over my house. Pictures tell a story!!!!

*a German Shepherd figurine....love it! I buy every German Shepherd figurine that I can find, small or large, but I do not have this one.

Thanks so much Vina, Billy and Taylor.

Annie and German Shepherd Klaus (and Black Lab Janika too)

o

I got an e-mail message from Alana that she has mailed Mandy's package but couldn't post on the RR.

Annie, it sounds like you, Klaus, and Janika had a wonderful mail day, too!

o

Happy Birthday Vina! I hope you had a great day! It was beautiful here.

It sounds like the packages are landing!

My mother dropped off a stray kitten here yesterday - he's adorable, not that I wanted another cat, but apparently, once you have a few, suddenly you get extras. My husband and I were irritated, but we're softies, so he will probably end up staying (unless one of the rescues contact us back - maybe they will).

Happy Wednesday!

Mandy

o

Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 21:02

Jeanne and Annie, what great packages!

Heidi, forgot to tell you: great shot of the flowers in the park!

Margo, didn't you do a Color Run last year, I seem to remember you all covered with red and purple! Great pic of the family!

Vina, good luck getting rid of your "problem" grass. I've been pulling the passion flower vine up, all summer. You told me I'd be doing that. It didn't come roaring back, just shows up every once in a while, in the strangest places!

Katie, I have never heard of apios Americana. Really a pretty flower, different. I want to ask if you are going to collect seeds, but have never been sure if that is a good idea. If it is, are you?

Mandy, love the Kitty! You have inspired me to post this pic of Vinnie, if I can find it. And No, she isn't hiding from all the dogs she saw on this swap, she just loves to crawl into stuff! This should teach me to put my knapsack away!

Shirley!

o

Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 21:35

Its fun to see all the great FOTESS packages flying around and landing at their destinations. Jeanne and Annie, those are some great boxes you both received!

The Indian potato... no, it is not endangered. It is just not all too common. Once it finds a place it likes, tho, it can really take off. That is the way this particular spot is... a wet & boggy spot with some very happy Indian potato plants. I will revisit later when it has made seeds, and I will be collecting a good bit of seed. I really like to collect seed from plants nearby in efforts to preserve what is called "provenance," which is to say that the plants naturally found here in MS are more likely to be best adapted to the local climate & soils than a plant found growing in Minnesota. Of course, that is not always possible, which leads me to getting seeds from GW traders, FOTESS members, and plant nurseries. BTW, ladies... it is hardy to zone 3 :) ! Jeanne, if it had not been blooming, I never would have noticed it!

Vina -- on your ornery pampas grass... whatever you do, DO NOT salt it. Salt will ruin your soil, and then nothing will grow there again for a very long time. Instead, I think you are going to have to attack it the way I attack chinese privet. By no means do I advocate the regular use of herbicides. But, sometimes you have to get serious with the invasives.

Cut the grass all the way down as far as you can to the ground. This will allow you to reach any & all vegetation (that stuff can get quite tall!) Then, buy an herbicide with the active ingredient "glyphosate." It comes in various concentrations. FYI, "Round up" was the original, patented herbicide with glyphosate. Their patent ran out a few years back and now you can buy glyphosate at a cheaper price as an off-brand. Just check the label to see what the active ingredient is. Next, you need to make sure you get some that is strong enough. I buy 41% glyphosate and dilute it in half (I mix 1 part herbicide + 1 part water). Depending on how much pampas grass you have to control, chose an appropriate sized sprayer to mix your herbicide in. Don't forget to label it really well and hide it from any kids and pets. You can use this strong herbicide mix to specifically target the grass and the grass only. I would spray right after cutting it, then spray it again after you few just a few inches of grass growth. Make sure it's not going to rain for 4-6 hrs after you spray, too.

I use this same concentrated mix on privet using the "hack & squirt" method. With privet, I take a machete and hack a section of bark off the base of the trunk. Within 60 seconds, I squirt the wound with my herbicide. It has a 50% kill rate with one application to privet (which is nearly impossible to eradicate!!)

This post was edited by kchd on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 21:42

o
fotess swap

Katie, I had to look privet up on the web ... I've often wondered what that plant was, I see it everywhere on the trail I walk with my dog.

Shirley and Many, cute cat pictures. Shirley, my cat would have peed in the backpack .... its a kitty litter box isn't it?

Margo, yep, looks like you and your family had a good time on the color run!

sharon

o

Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 8:13

Sharon, AGGGHHH! I never thought of that! Maybe I'll just start putting it back in the closet when I'm finished with it! Altho my cats never pee "outside the box" unless they are mad at me. And I go to great lengths to prevent that!

Cloudy, rainy day here. We need the rain tho.

Would you believe I'm in the process of cleaning up my gardens already? Many of my containers have bit the dust. And yes, I'm already planning next year!

Have a great day, All!
Shirley!

o

Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 10:43

Yea, my login problem is finally fixed.
Thanks Jeanne, for posting a message for me.
It's fun to hear what people are receiving in their packages.
Katie, I traded for seeds once from a lady in Florida for the Apios Americana. They came up and were doing fine, but vacation and no watering got them. Good Luck with yours.
I may try them again.
Would your "glyphosate." method work killing Trumpet Vine?
I need something to get rid of, or help control it.
Hope you all have a good day.

o

Great pictures of the new kitten and Vinnie. They are so cute!
I love the eyes looking out of the backpack.

Alana asked me to post and let everyone know she received Sharon's package and loves it. She says Sharon made it very special.
Alana has been in touch with GW about getting her account to work and will come on and post the contents as soon as she can.

I have some errands that I need to run, but will be back on to update our sent and received list later in the day. For some reason I just "fizzled out" yesterday and didn't accomplish much that was on my list.

Jeanne

o

Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 16:45

Jeanne, we should form a "Fizzled Out" club! I am doing some pretty good fizzling right now. Worked all day, lugging our old ledgers back and forth from the "vault" up to our office, to make copies. The guy was pleased that I got so much done; told me that he would have another long list next week. HAHA, I won't be there! Nanananana!

dry white wine sounds real good right now!
Shirley!

o

Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 19:42

Shirley, that pic of Vinnie is hilarious!! It gets a whole-hearted cackle out of me! And you have inspired me to pop open a dry white wine myself. I'm on a Sauvignon Blancs from New Zealand kick these days. yum-mee!!

Yes, Sharon, privet is just about everywhere. Lump it in with kudzu, cogangrass, japanese honeysuckle, cheat grass, etc. It can really wreak havoc on native ecosystems. The only good privet is dead privet, in my book.

Hi Ruth, yes, I am quite sure the glyphosate would work on trumpet vine. But, may I suggest that instead of spraying that native, you just whack it off at the base and let it re-sprout at a much more manageable size? The hummingbirds love its flowers. To prevent seeding, you can just cut it off again once it's done flowering for the year. That's a win-win for you and the hummers ;)

I have noticed that more and more people are having major difficulties with GW delivering emails and allowing them to post. [grumble!]

o

LOL you gals, I had a diet coke in my hand when I read about the wine. The coke is back in the fridge and I have a glass of Michigan Tabor Hill Riesling. I've been trying all the local wines and some are pretty good. :0)

I'll join that 'Fizzled Out' club ...at least for tonight!

Jeanne, thanks for letting me know that Alana has received the package.

I'm looking forward to the weekend.
Sharon

o

Hello everyone. I received my package today from Mandy and it was filled with great creativity.

In the envelope was:
car magnet in the shape of a bone and says "dogs rule".
A dog treat which I am saving for a special treat for Shilo.
Six cute cardboard mug coasters. There are dogs on them and three have a golder retriever that says "I came, I sniffed, I rolled in it" and the other three has a dog and it says "happee, I haz it". Too cute.
Mandy sent notes with her choices and she explained the seeds she sent which were cat grass, parsley, (for the dog to have fresh breath), Her dog likes to chase butterflies so she included seeds from a milkweed. It will attract the butterflies which my cats like to chase, and mix seeds to attract more butterflies. There was a package of mixed salad blend because dogs like greens as well as cat grass which she included. We have the outdoor cats so they will like the cat grass too.
These are all great but the best part is the laser pointer for our little Tenny to chase. I have wanted to get one of these for months now but always forget to pick one up. I immediately started playing with Tenny with it which was hysterical.
Mandy, thanks so much for the creative and thoughtful package. It was great fun to open.
Margo

o

Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 20:37

Sharon, I've been trying local wines too. Pentemere winery in Tecumseh has a dry white, White Swan, that is just excellent. But I'm all out of that so I had to settle for a table red, Noiret, from a new winery up there called The Flying Otter. It's way out in the boonies. The wine is called a red, but the color is a very light pink. Very dry, not sweet, just right!

I like wine, but I tend to waste it, somewhat. After one or two glasses, it goes back in the fridge and the Lord only knows when I'll drink it again. Like to have it on hand tho!

Why are you fizzling, and is Tabor Hill a winery?

Off to bed, I think, maybe!
Shirley!

o

Everyone got me in the mood for a glass of wine and with my medications I can't have one... oh, well, on to the send and receive list I guess. It's getting late so if I mess up, please correct me.

What great packages are being sent and received! I love the saying about "I rolled in it" - so true of the Golden Retriever we had... and I love that some of you found a way to incorporate seeds with this theme. "Flea" and "hair" are so appropriate... and my dog likes to chase butterflies, too! Dog breath - yes, let's pass the parsley.

Katie - sends to Sharon
Sharon - sends to Alana (received)
Alana - sends to Mandy
Mandy - sends to Margo (received)
Margo - sends to Vina
Vina - sends to Annie (received)
Annie - sends to Jeanne (received)
Jeanne - sends to Ruth (I'm a "bad dog" - will send soon!)
Ruth - sends to Jayanne
Jayeanne - sends to Shirley
Shirley - sends to Heidi
Heidi - sends to Robin
Robin - sends to Peggy
Peggy - sends to Katie.

That's all for today, folks! It's still raining nearly every day here. I think we will have 4 days in a row without rain early next week - at least that's what the weather report said, but are they ever right? (I really don't mind the rain because I don't have to water the garden and it's cooler, but you have to feel bad for the farmers who can't harvest and the people who are having flood conditions.)

Jeanne

o

Seems like the dog days of summer are winding down.. cooler nights bringing out that "tired" look to trees, shrubs and garden plants. We may get some rain to wash some of the dust away.. hope there isn't any "electricity" in those clouds because it is very dry here in the desert of Central Washington. I've been doing a bit of canning: Dilly Beans, Spicy Chili Ketchup and another batch of HuckleBlueberry Jam. Oh ya, I have a big bucket of sweet chunk pickles sitting on the counter. Next step is to can them up. Mojo is happy with his recent hair cut... but I noticed he is snuggling a little closer to my feet in the cool early morning hours.

o

Margo - glad you liked it! It was fun to try and figure out what to put in the package.

Tabor Hill is a winery - it sounds like you might live pretty close to me Sharon. I'm almost an hour or so away from that area.

Happy Friday!

Mandy

o

My GW is fixed, but now my computer at home is misbehaving so I may not be able to post about Sharon's package thoroughly for a bit yet. I did not think to bring it with me today.
She was very thoughtful and sent a doggie birthday card in anticipation of my bd next month. Thank the doggies for me. I will elaborate later, but she did an excellent job! She is a very creative member and I thoroughly enjoyed my treats and so will Kobi.
Thank you Sharon,
Alana

o

My package from Margo arrived! WOW!

She sure used her imagination for this box! Once again! WOW!

I rec'd in my "doggy bag"
~a new mug to enjoy cold beverages :)
~a BBQ cookbook so I won't heat up the kitchen
~ a Cool Scarf to keep me cool while gardening during the dog days.
~a pink ice cream scoop...awesome!
~a pack of Polar Ice Gum...the kids LOVE this gum! :)
~ 3 adorable solar movers...a dancing flower, a hula girl and an elephant. Margo bought 1 for me, 1 for Taylor and 1 for Billy. :) THANK YOU!! They were so excited that they were included.
~ and last but not least...for the dog days...Kitty Toys for the girls, Apple and Kiwi. They love the catnip mice!! Kiwi is sleeping with one right now on the living room carpet.

Margo, Thank You so much for my Summer Survival Pack! So thoughtful of you!!

Thanks everyone for the dreaded grass advice. I did mow it down, it took 3 days, it kept popping back up. I'm going to Ace today to see if they have the glyphosate that Katie mentioned. I sounds like exactly what I need. Thank YOU! :D

Annie, I'm so glad that your box made it. I'm so sorry we should have gotten Janika a figurine too. ;( The toy we got her is actually made from recycled material...we were trying to stay within the "upcycle" mode of fotess :)

Love the kitty pic's. We should have a month for the kitty's. ;) Can't leave them out.

Have a great Friday!!
vina

o

I just received my package from Alana - thank you! It's a great package! :)

There is a book "101 ways to do more with your dog" - with a lot of great games and things you can do. She also included some jerky treats for the pup. I gave him one and he begged for another - they must be tasty!

She also sent a Stafford Daylily - in honor of the Staffordshire terrier according to the note, and an Alice in Wonderland Daylily, in memory of her former Boxer named Alice - what a great fit for the doggie days!

Thank you very much! Logan (my dog) and I will enjoy the package immensely!

Mandy

o

Good news, Ruth! I have your package ready to go and will mail it tomorrow. Sorry to be a few days late getting it out. Hopefully it will make good time as it travels to Texas.

Mandy and Vina, those were great swap packages that you received. I love hearing what people thought of to go with the Dog Days of Summer theme.

Jeanne

o

Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 18:26

I received my doggie box from Peggy today! Yippee :) Peggy sent a package of dog treats which Woolie says are delicious. an LED lighted dog collar pendant for easily spotting your dog at night. Perfect! Woolie needs this b/c he has gone deaf and doesn't always come when he's called. Now we can easily find him at night! A very cute coin purse made out of a baby sock, with dogs on it, of course! Some soft ladybug gardening gloves! And a guidebook for using "Color in your Garden." Thank you so much, Peggy, for the thoughtful doggy package!

And just so the cats don't feel completely left out... this was how I was greeted this morning as I walked into the bathroom

NINJA CAT

o

Katie, glad you and Woolie enjoyed your package. I had fun trying to figure out what to send. Woolie reminds me of a scottie/aredale mix I had as a kid..Smokey lived 15 years.. he was a character. We would shave him every summer and he would hide under the bed for a day or two until he accepted his new cut. We took him on a vacation to Glacier National Park and he was so proud of himself when he got back into the car smelling like the dead fish he rolled in. We all got out of the car and he ended up in the creek with my dad and a bar of soap. As for ninga cat s/he is adorable! We have a cat that was dropped off at about 5-6 wks of age. It hissed and spat and slapped at us and we name it Edgrrrrr but had to change it to Ingrrrr when we found out "he" was really a "she". She has calmed down but does not enjoy cuddling AT ALL. Give Woolie a hug and tell him about Smokey.. I think he will enjoy the story. Regards... Peggy

o

Better seize my opportunity to post, this is what Sharon sent me:
For Kobi, Cash's favorite "Sizzlin' Strips". I've not had time to share those yet, but today Kobi will get to try them.
The book, "You Had Me At Woof" by Julie Klam. I've looked at this book before and almost bought it. I really can't wait to read it.
The most incredible part are the fantastic buttons she sent to illustrate her letter about adventures with Cash on a walk one day. There is a brass button with a bird on it, a resin button that looks like a woodcut of a terrier, flowered buttons to mark Cash's visits to her garden. A carrot button because Cash loves carrots and a heart button because she loves her friend Cash.
Amazingly creative and beautiful!
She also sent seeds for vegetable that Cash likes as tomatoes and carrots, and for Peppers, which he stays away from.
I wish I had an iota of her creativity. Thank you Sharon!
Alana

Edited simply to add that although I have never thought about collecting buttons, these are so wonderful that I just might start.

This post was edited by poisondartfrog on Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 8:26

o

Alana, I'm so glad you enjoyed the package Cash and I sent . You might have guessed I am a button collector. Even if you don't collect I'm sure you can find a way to reuse those buttons. :o)
Sharon

o

Thank you to Shirley! What a fun box to receive and it just kept going and going. I received some handmade cards and I already used one. At my new job my supervisor's dog has been having seizures so I gave one to him as a get well card. The cards said Woof Woof and had paw prints on them. Shirley also sent a Hound of the Baskervilles and A Big Little Life a memoir of a joyful dog, pictures of her beautiful flowers with butterflies and birds, 3 dog puzzles, 2 rubber stamps (to make more cards). I loved it all! And don't forget the seeds...harlequin sunflower, red & yellow cosmic cosmos (one of my favorite flowers), Gaillardia Arizona Red (my #1 favorite flower) and orange poppies.
Job update...it's going well, just very stressful trying to learn things. I finally was accepted into the 'system' yesterday so now I can configure email and actually use a computer. So far it's been pen and paper. Very retro! ha
Heidi

o

Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 20:37

Glad you enjoyed the package, Heidi! I got the stamps "dirt cheap" but then I thought, " now what do I do with them?" It was an easy decision to send them on to you! As creative as you are, I know you'll put them to good use. Sounds like the job is going well.

Katie, what a sight first thing in the morning! A true Ninja, if I ever saw one!

We are having really beautiful weather, warm and sunny during the day, cool and breezy at night. Almost perfect!
Have a nice Sunday, All!
Shirley!

o

Hey Katie, That look on kitty Ninjas face ... well, what do you expect .... she's naked, getting ready for her bath. lol
What a picture!!!!

Box from Katie!
Yum, Yum, Yum .... Coconut Almonds for me and hubby. I actually shared them.
Yum, Yum, Yum ... Treats for Cash, "Boney bones". New for him, but he loved the one I gave him.

Seedsthat bloom in August for my shade areas .
1) White turtlehead - I have pink and am super excited to have seeds for the white!!!
2)Blue mistflower - I love mistflower.
3) Lobelia cardinalis - Now that I have seeds, I will try this beautiful flower again. I've tried the plant twice in the area I really want it to grow, but it never makes it ... too dry I think. Now I will try it in a slightly less dry shade.
4) Wood oats, Chasmanthium latifolia - Well, not too sure what to do with this one, but you gave me enough seeds that I will try it in several places. I saw on the web it is the host plant for a skipper ... always good. And it is edible, so I just know the deer would probably devour it in the woods, but that is ... always good too.

Thank you Katie for a wonderful box!

I am also enjoying reading what others have received. What a wide variety of ideas from this group. :o)

sharon

o

Another 5k is completed. This one was a little harder because the whole thing was in the morning sun. HOT, like the dog days of summer. I did have my best run yet and plan to keep on going to improve my time.

Great packages have been sent. I enjoy reading the creative things people do with the themes. Our dog Shilo sure enjoyed her treat.

Mandy, your little stray is cute. I know what you mean about cats multiplying. When we built in the country 7 years ago, we adopted little Joey. Then they started coming. I named our last one Tenny so I could keep track of how many had actually come around. We ourselves have 6 outside, (I actually gather them every night to spend the night in the garage), one indoor, (that's Tenny) and one stray who shows up just about every night to get his dinner.

A heat wave is coming here to Ohio. The next five days after today are going to be in the 90's. Blech.

Have a good Sunday all. Margo

o

Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 9:58

Glad you enjoyed your package, Sharon. Those coconut almonds are the same brand as the yummy wasabi soy almonds you sent to me a few months ago. Both are delicious, I think! My cardinal flowers like their soil moist, for sure; but, they will grow in any light from full sun to shade. I think the moist soil is much more important while they are young plants. We have woodoats growing in our woods around here, both Chasmanthium latifolium (the ones I sent you) and C. sessiflorum. Both are highly deer resistant -- the deer won't touch them :)

Margo, you go, girl! Although instead of a photo, I want to see a video of your 5k dance moves!

FYI, our orange ninja cat's name is Greeble, because he showed up out of the woods as a nasty, scabby, dirty little greeble of a 'teenage' kitten. After I busted him for trying to ambush me (which he does often), he turned cute & innocent.

o

Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 12:37

Katie, Greeble looks so cute and innocent - but probably not, if I know cats! And thank you for all the wildflower lessons! Very Helpful!

Margo, I too would like to see a pic of you dancing your way tho that 5k. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

And I wanted to let you all know that I have posted the Sept/Oct. Fotess swap already. It is another 2 month writing swap, I wanted to get a jumpstart on it. I would love to see you all join in!

And last, I wanted to share this picture. The trellis/arbor is 6 foot tall. So, how high do you think that New England Aster, towering in the background, is? That's the tallest one, the shortest are 4-5' tall! No blooms yet. Saw some blooming in the wild, when I went for groceries yesterday. None were this tall!

In case I don't make it back on,
have a great week!
Shirley!

o

These "dog days" packages are fantastic!!!!!! Clever and Fun!!

Jeanne, I found my prize on the porch last night. Actually, I did not really find it...the canines did....they sniffed it out!
Thank you for the very nice note/card and the 2014-2015 two year daily planner...(it even had a dog on the cover) and dogs treats for for the canines, specifically packaged for each of them. They thank you...yum...yum!

And Jeanne, so glad everything arrived.

Happy Sunday...

Annie

o

Hi Shirley!

Your package is going out tomorrow morning...

Jayeanne

o

I hope everyone had a good weekend. I should have updated sooner I think - I see lots of packages have arrived and I am amazed the game prize got all the way across the country so quickly, Annie.
I got Ruth's package to the wild bird store in town - they sell wild bird food, bird feeders, bird baths, and things like that (yes, there are contracting with the post office), but mail had already left for Sat.; so Ruth, the package should be on its way as of today.

Here's our update:

Katie - sends to Sharon (received)
Alana - sends to Mandy (received)
Margo - sends to Vina (received)
Jeanne - sends to Ruth (sent)
Ruth - sends to Jayeanne
Jayeanne - sends to Shirley (sent)
Shirley - sends to Heidi (received)
Heidi - sends to Robin
Robin - sends to Peggy (received)
Peggy - sends to Katie (received)

I think I got all of this updated correctly, but if I missed something just let me know.

I have enjoyed this month so much and thanks to all who participated in the Dog Days of Summer. The conversation and the pictures posted are great, the packages are so creative, and each one of you is a wonderful member of this very fun group!

I'll watch that our other packages arrive at their destinations.
Talk soon.
Jeanne

o

Thank you Robin1926-2008 for the package. Mojo looks fabulous in the halter. I will need to put him in a diet before he fits into it correctly. He and I really like the colors. I gave him one of his treats, which he ate greedily. While surfing, he quietly grabbed himself another (hence the explanation for his portly ways). i put the remainder up and out of his reach so he will have them for a longer period of time. I planted the Rose of Sharon and am in great hopes it will take. Coincidental, the day before your package arrived, hubby and I were commenting on a row of beautiful flowering bushes that we saw on our way to town.. they too were Rose of Sharon. Very beautiful and many different colors. Thanks again for the goodies.... both Mojo and I will enjoy them.

o

Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 14:55

Jeanne, just a reminder in case you want to update.
I mailed my package to Jayeanne on the 20th, but that was during the time that I couldn't post anything on GW.

o

Update!

Jeanne - sends to Ruth (sent)
Ruth - sends to Jayeanne (sent)
Heidi - sends to Robin

I hope everyone had a good day!
Jeanne

o

Want to send a big thank you to Ruth for the wonderful surprise in my mailbox today!! She sent a red t shirt with a dog on it super cute! dog bone tin filled with chocolate cherry sunflower seeds and winter squash seeds, and some treat bones for "ginger" thank you so much Ruth!! I really enjoyed the swap.

Jayeanne

o

Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 8:40

Jayeanne, I'm glad you liked your package. I couldn't find anything with a miniature pom on it and thought the dog on the t shirt was maybe a miniature pinscher. It was hard to tell with the picture. Hope Ginger and Izzy enjoy the treats.

I posted this picture on facebook yesterday, but wanted to share here also. It was my oldest grandson Lukasz's first day of college. He doesn't have a car yet, so I'll be driving him for a while. They grow up so fast.

o

According to the tracking # Robin's box arrived 8/19. I am assuming she received it, but haven't heard. I did mail it, though, I promise. If Robin didn't get it I'll send another box. If anyone knows...just let me know.
Heidi

o

Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 8:52

Good Morning!

Jayeanne, just wanted to let you know that I'm away for a few days, will post about the "Dog Days" package when I get home.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
Shirley!

o

Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 18:13

Gracie & I received our AWESOME doggie wrapped packages from Jeanne today.
She was so excited she tried to help open.

o

Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 18:20

Grace loves the treats and the neckerchief is adorable.

o

Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 18:27

Thank you so much Jeanne. This was such awesome items.

o

Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 18:38

I don't do photobucket anymore and GW rejected most of the pictures I tried to post. Had to keep making them smaller. I'm going to post on FB if anyone would like to look at the pictures there (Ruth Lyles Zmroczek).

Jeanne was so creative and sent sooooo many things.
I forgot to put the chili powder (for chili dogs) in the photo above.
Neckerchief (made by Jeanne)
Tasty Treats cookbook (will definitely use this)
Dog cookie cutters
Milkbone Marosnacks (Grace could smell them before I opened the box)
Doggie notebook
Pawzzles Pansies & Puppies
chili powder

Thank you so much Jeanne. We both love it.

o

Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 21:21

Gracie is really a great looking dog, and so stylish with her neckerchief on! Jeanne always does a nice job on her packages.

Having a good time here in Kettering, taking care of Tabs and Myrna while their M&D are in North Carolina for a few days. I had forgotten how much energy little kids have, and how many questions they can ask in one day! Whew!!!!

Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow,
Shirley!

o

HEIDI,Idid receive your package !! I`m sorry I didn`t post but I`ve been at Duke university Hospital with my sister and bil who is in the process of preparing for a liver transplant. My babies loved the treats you sent and I love the flower seeds!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

o

HEIDI,Idid receive your package !! I`m sorry I didn`t post but I`ve been at Duke university Hospital with my sister and bil who is in the process of preparing for a liver transplant. My babies loved the treats you sent and I love the flower seeds!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

o

I am happy to tell you Robin1962-2008, that the Rose of Sharon seems to be doing well... rehydrating and vertical!

o

Ruth, I'm glad that you and Grace liked what I sent. I don't think I have swapped at all this summer except for this swap so I really enjoyed it.

Sorry not to have been online the last few days. I had to have a medical procedure done and for a day and a half I was absolutely miserable. I'm almost feeling back to normal now. I guess my surgery will get scheduled in September. Never like having surgery, but I've known this is ahead and it has been a long wait since late May.

Ou local college football team is playing their first game this evening so I've been watching that on TV. Now there is a "lightning delay."

I'll get the "sent and received list" updated tomorrow. The packages that were sent have been great!

Jeanne

o

Sorry, it was a double post. My computer and GardenWeb are not getting along this evening.

This post was edited by sandlapper_rose on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 21:00

o

Here's the most recent update:
Jeanne - sends to Ruth (received)
Ruth - sends to Jayeanne (received)
Heidi - sends to Robin (received)

Shirley will let us know about her package when she gets back home so that will wrap it up. Thanks for making this such an easy month to be hostess. I had fun and I hope you did, too.

I hope everyone has a safe and wonderful Labor Day Weekend!

Jeanne

o

Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 17:45

Hey Everyone! Just got home about 3:30, am totally wiped out, wanted to post about my package before I fall asleep standing up!

Jayeanne sent a really nice package, two packages actually, she forgot to put the dog treats in the first one! I got what I think is a leash holder, shaped like a dog bone, with 3 hooks on it; it says "good dog" but that can easily be changed to "good Kitties"!

Pink also sent a cinnamon pumpkin candle, a backpack size hand sanitizer (I use these ALOT), and a very sweet note, with baby Pugs on the front. And then there were the seeds she sent. I AM SO EXCITED! There were Coleus, sweet peas, California poppies and acorn squash. AND THEN, there was Broom Corn, Fleabane and Bishops Flower, all three of which great for attracting Butterflies!! I have one lonely little patch of Fleabane show up in a different spot every year, Now I'll have it where I want it! All three of these are new to me and I can't wait to get them planted!

Jayeanne, thank you very much for a great "Dog Days" package. Loved it!

If I didn't think I would wake up at 3 am and be awake for the rest of the day, I would go to bed NOW! Tabs and MyrnD were really good for me, but now I know why Chris sounds so tired sometimes, when I call. Gonna miss them, tho!

Jeanne, thanks for hosting a great swap! Take care of yourself, please!
Shirley!

o

Hey Shirley! So glad you enjoyed your package, so very sorry in the delay of getting it mailed out. I am struggling here with the new format of yahoo, but hanging in there =)

Jayeanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here