Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pat_6

Sharing July Pictures

pat_6
15 years ago

I haven't been lurking around this forum long. I hope that I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by starting this thread...

I'm very excited to have my first bloom on daylily "Frances Joiner" and wanted to share the image!

{{gwi:1287683}}

"Bella Lugosi" is blooming, though this photo was taken after dark, so it isn't the best:

{{gwi:1287684}}

I received "42nd Street" in a trade several weeks ago. It's in a pot, awaiting a move (when the pool surround is finished) to its permanent home.

{{gwi:1287685}}

And, finally, after waiting almost 2 years for the tiny fans to mature, here's "Duke of Durham":

{{gwi:1287686}}

I look forward to seeing what's blooming in your garden!

Pat

Comments (88)

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Here are more pictures that I took this morning.

Shelby's Song, and this daylily means so much to me as our son's name is Shelby IF YOU ARE LOOKING AT THESE ANITA, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

El desperado

Bela Lugosi

Blueberry Candy

Strawberry Candy

Serena Dark Horse

Donna's Prayers

My batteries need recharged, and I will be back. Thank goodness for rechargeable batteries.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

I understand having a boat, although ours was no way as big as yours but I did enjoy it. That was 29 years ago, We bought it on a spur of the moment, had many, many, hours of enjoyment on it. But, Shelby came along and he made me so nervous when we took him out that I just could not go and enjoy myself. We decided if we weren't going to use it we might as well sell it.

I used to love to water ski. I don't know if I would do it now as it would be crazy with flooding of the Mississippi,and all the junk that is still there.

As always everyone! Keep those pics coming.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Diene, your boat photo is great! I'll bet you live on the water.
    Tracy-love the hawk photo.
    All of the great daylily photos are helping me choose a couple of new ones to buy this year.
    I got this one in a trade last year labeled as Strutter's Ball....not.
    It was in the original commercial packaging, so the mis-labeling occurred at the source. Does anyone know what it might be?

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello Poison;
    I wish I could help but I cannot even keep mine straight and I have all the names written down some place. It is pretty.
    diene

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Hi Poison. I wish I could help with your id, but sadly don't know them very well.

I finally have some new pics of my flowers.

White Fountain Gaura with Blazing Star Liatris, Plain old Echinacea, and Rudbeckia

Crazy Daisy that Mariann sent to me. I love the blooms on this!

New addition to the corner of the rock garden. I have some Visions Geranium, Splish Splash Geranium, Bill Wallice Geranium and Ameria in there. All the Geraniums are teeny tiny little seedlings that I started this spring. Takes forever for them to get going! lol!

I also added on to the patio side of the rock garden. I put in some hosta minis/smalls with some heuchera that I picked up today. Oh, and that would be crazy Emma running through the picture. Little stinker!

Here is a closer look at the little shaded rock garden. On the left is Gold Edger Hosta (from micyrey), Amber Waves Heuchera, Veronica Lake Hosta, Snow Angel Heuchera, June Hosta (from Trina), Crown Jewel Hosta, and an NOID Mini that a friend sent to me.

I know it isn't a good idea to plant over the roots of a tree but sadly my lilac tree isn't healthy any longer. We had been doing everything we could to try to save it but we are losing the battle. My back up plan is to let it pass on and then cover it in clematis.

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Woops that was supposed to be Crown Jewel Heuchera not hosta in the last picture. :o)

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Tracy, as usual your pics have me drooling! "wiping chin"

Annie, that no id pink is so pretty, and I like your fire storm too, and everything else everyone is posting!

Diene, love the pink roses!

Poison, I wonder if you could send a pic to the source and see if they can id it for you, it is a very pretty one!

Vic

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

FINALY! I got my back yard done!!

The path around the house

{{gwi:1287773}}

the back
    {{gwi:1287774}}
    {{gwi:1287775}}
    {{gwi:1287776}}

Put in a small water feature

OK, OK, SO IT'S NOT REALY MY YARD! LOL
    BUT I CAN DREAM CAN'T I!

Those are pics from when we went to the Zoo here in MT, they have some wonderful gardens! What is realy sad is that the only pic of Zack at the zoo is the one in front of the water! lol

BUT! I can share with you my FIRST bloom in the new place!!

pretty pathetic ain't it!! But it IS a flower!

And looks like I might finally see my Hibiscus bloom this yr. I got it last yr mail order, I don't even know what color it is!
    {{gwi:1287782}}

Vic

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Vic, You're hillarious! If you get your yard looking like that then I am hopping in my van and will be parking it at your place and living with you! That is gorgeous! I love that little purple flower. What is it? woo hoo on the hibiscus buds. Mine are just forming too. If I can keep the J. Beatles off of it this year maybe I'll see some buds too! lol!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

ooooh Tracy I love that Fountain Gaura!! Do you harvest seeds from it? *hint hinttt LOL I also love love your rock garden/pation.. that is just gorgeous! *sighhh

My mom and I both have pink Gaura, but I've yet to figure out where to find a seed! *hint hinttt LOL

Melissa/Bunny I do love your scatterbrain! hehe *runs...

Annie ..What gorgeous Daylilies! I can't wait to see the few I've gotten in trades bloom next year!

Diene .. those roses are just beautiful!

Poison .. that Mystic Merlin is lovely!

Hugs,
    Wendy / sassybutterfly_2008

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Vic...I LOVE what you've done with the place! LOL
    See? We told you a blank canvas was the best starting point! :O)
    Um...you wanna come to my yard & play alittle???
    Is your purple flower maybe a vinca?

Wendy~ My scatterbrain is contagious...I've shared it with Kathy & a few others.....! :O) Careful, you might be next!!!

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Wendy, I was so frustrated last summer trying to find little seed pods on the pink gaura that I had. I have left all the spent blooms stay in place this time too but haven't seen any pods yet.

I will do another inspection tomorrow and see what I come up with. I would love to share these with you. Might just have to send a division though if I can't find the ding dang seeds! lol! Glad to hear that I'm not alone in my fruitlessness!

I'm glad you like the garden and patio. It is finally getting the finishing touches it needed. I want a big planter box outside the kitchen window above where the table and chairs are and then some big planters next to the steps and back wall in the corners too. So much to do!

• pat_6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was visiting this thread daily but have been side-tracked for the past few weeks. Construction has finally started on our garage, so no more "preparation"!

So many photos have been added since last I commented that I won't try to address them individually. I'll just say, "So many beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing."

Vic - There is one thing I need to address. I started this thread and am copied on messages, even though I haven't been viewing the actual thread lately. Yesterday, I noticed your message saying, "Finally! I got my backyard done!"

I thought to myself, "You have GOT to be kidding! I'm sure I saw her pictures a few weeks ago and she had just moved to a new area. How in the world did she accomplish that so fast?" Then I thought to myself, "I must be insanely slow! I've been working on my backyard for 2 years and I'm not even close to finished!"

I didn't read any further, 'cause I was in a hurry, but all day I was just in awe of the fact that you could complete anything so quickly! (I hadn't even looked at your pictures. It didn't even matter what you had done. You were finished!)

Then this morning, I read Tracy's reply and understood it was a joke. Whew! What a relief! LOL! I'm feeling better about myself.

Tracy - I have a white gaura in my yard. Your seed discussion made me wonder the same. So I Googled it and found a link right here on GW. I think it'll explain seed collection.

Pat

Here is a link that might be useful: Collecting Gaura Seed

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Pat! Thanks so much! I am kicking myself after all this time because I thought they were just spent flower stems!!!! I didn't think they were individual seeds. I thought they would be plump little pods! UGH! Kicking myself! You are so awesome for finding that for us! Congrats on the commencement of the garage building! Yay!

Wendy, send me your addy cause there is gonna be some seed collecting going on! :o)

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Pat, ROFLMAO!!!
    I am so sorry that I had you sooooo distressed!! I am glad you are in the construction zone now and hope for your sake, and sanity, that it goes quickly and smoothly! And don't worry.....I am YEARS from getting this yard done! LOL

Tracy! could I please, please, please, get some of those seeds too! They are a pretty flower! That is if you get enough of them! Thanks

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Melissa ~ I already HAVE a scatterbrain.. and no flower to show for it :)

Pat ~ Thankyou for that link! Very simple and informative! lol

Tracy ~ WOOHOO!!! THANKYOU!!!! *doin' the happy I'mma gonna get some seeds dance.... :)

I was very naughty today, collecting spent seed heads from various 'wanted' varieties of plants at the local H.Depot. *whistlin' innocently....... They were terrible looking tho.. maybe it actually would improve their sales after I cleaned up! lol I also got some huge 5gal Lantanas for $1.99 each.. man I love those clearance racks!!!

Vic ~ btw, Hi and nice to meet you! lol yea I'm late at gettin' to that, I'll blame it on the lack of sleep w/ 2 lab pups at my feet whining at 5am every freakin' morning.. *muttering on and on and on and on...

ANYWAYS.. :)

Bye ya'll

Hugs everyone!

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

(wiping the spit off the screen after laughing about the latest kleptomaniac in the group) Way to go on those great steals (I mean deals) at HD, Wendy! LOL! Blame it on the sleep deprivation. Send me your addy sweetie and I will start collecting the seeds (I know I have it somewhere it will just take forever to go through the old emails, I'm lazy). I did a small inspection out there today and yes indeedy doodle there are seeds!

Vic, yes'm you can have some too! I have pink and white so do you want both? Send me your addy!

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Wendy, too funny! Don't feel bad, we went to the farmers market and I seen Zack (my 3 yr old) pick up a broken off chick from the table of a cobweb hens and chicks, I just acted like I didn't see him do it.....It now has a new home in my little starter pot in the kitchen :o)

Tracy, my addy is on the way!! Thank You!!

Vic

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

Hi all! It's late, but I wanted to post some pics. I'm just too tired and in a hurry to take the time to resize them. Hope no one minds!

Heliopsis 'Lorraine Sunshine'

Daylily 'David Kirchoff' sp.?

Springsown Salpigliosis (sp?)

Lily 'Elegant Lady'

Balloon Flower (not really as blue as photo shows, more purple)
    {{gwi:1287789}}

and Echinac

ea purpurea

Tracy I love what you've done with your rock garden!

Vic, gorgeous yard!! Looks just like mine!! lol (NOT!)

Good Night
    Karen

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Oohh, OOOHHHH!!! Karen, your Heliopsis is GORGEOUS!! I love that foliage!! WOW! :O)

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Karen, your flowers are beautiful. I love that heliopsis! I'm gonna have to put that on my want list!
    Glad you like my yard! LOL
    Vic

• cheerpeople
    15 years ago

Very pretty pics.

Yes,

You are right. I have mislabelled my photo of 'Red Hot lily. It is really 'Altari' another Orienpet. Silkroad blooms later and has more pink on the reverse.

I don'thave to worry about the seeds finishing before I spray paint the globemaster allium. Globemaster are sterile.

Karen

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Karen ~ ditto on that Heliopsis! LOVE that foliage!!! and that David K... daylily!! *sighh now THAT is one gorgeous flower!

Tracy ~ Love it when I make people spit at their screens, it's an unusual effect I have on some peeps! hehehe

Vic ~ Is your Zack blonde haired? Just wonderin' cuz EVERYONE I know that also has a son named Zach/Zack etc has blonde hair and my son and I were commenting on that the other day..lol Also.. is he superwild? LOL That's another trait I've found VERY common in Zach/Zacks :)

Ok I'm gonna post this in a few diff threads, but I need HELP you guys! I'm planning a VERY LAST MINUTE birthday party for my mom. As most of you know my mom is dying of cancer... and this is a theme she originally said she wanted for her 60th bday.. well .. she'll be 57 on Monday so we're just gonna do it this year, I don't think I need to explain further the 'why' of it.. anywho, we're doing a 'late' Midsummer's Eve party, in her garden/on her back porch where everyone must come in some type of costume depicting fairies, mythical gardening/forest creatures, heck even throw some Goth in there if it makes ppl happy! I'm planning on stringing lights up throughout the garden and line the walk areas w/ lil tea-light candles... anyone know any inexpensive way to hold those candles so the wind doesn't blow them out? Also, any decor ideas? Please? lol I'm gonna be placing fairies all over the place in the yard, and I'm gonna try to do a fairy garden for her using the stuff I'd already bought for myself for mine. I've just gotta get some plants! oh yea.. any ideas for making fairy wands or making 'wings' for costumes too.. help! lol

Any thoughts / ideas are WELCOME! Thanks you guys!

Hugs,

• pat_6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I swear! I replied to Tracy and Vic yesterday but it never showed up here. I've had that happen before but I'm sure I even got the "your message has been posted" page??? Anyway...

Vic - I was ROFLMAO too! So your little joke provided 2 days of entertainment for me. :) Day 1 I walked around amazed at you. Day 2 I walked around amazed at myself (and how gullible I am!)

Tracy, You are most welcome for the link. Once the topic was mentioned, I realized I didn't know the answer either. Easy as the seed may be to collect, it sounds like you will have to be vigilent!

To both of you, I appreciate your good wishes on our new construction project. Undoubtedly I will be long tired of it before it's completed. (As garages go, this is fairly large - 26' x 44' with an upstairs) The contractor has been great so far. I just hate the mess that's being created. I had to mow grass yesterday and I about lost the lawn mower in the ruts created by the concrete trucks! They didn't look so deep when the grass was too high! LOL!

Karen - Your photos are beautiful. I love how bright and clear they are! Your David Kirchhoff is lovely. I have that dl but it only had 2 blooms this year and it rained on them both days, ruining them for photos. :(

Wendy! Aren't you the resourceful one! (Smile) I must say, it never occurred to me to propogate plants that way!

Pat

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Wendy~ Maybe mason jars(or any other jar) would work to hold the candles? You could make a wire hanger on the top, so they could be hung from trees and it would fit in with the fairy theme, because it would look like lightning bugs floating around.
    You could also add some clear/colored stones in the bottom, around the candles, so you'd have the effects of the light reflecting off those, too.
    It sounds like a great party! I am sad for you that you won't be able to wait for her 60th....but I know you are making the best of the time that God has given you with her.
    *hugs*

Some new blooms in my yard this morning. Nothing much, but every little bit makes me smile! :O)

Climbing rose

This little flower popped up in my veronica - I'm assuming it's something from the wildflower seed Aubeni sprinkled around the beds earlier this year!
    {{gwi:1287792}}

Rose of Sharon "bluebird" (this is a seedling from a bush that is 50years old +/-)

Pink Damask

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Wendy,
    yep, blonde hair, blue eyes just like his mama (but he's cuter! lol) And yes, since he was born I've noticed the wild child Zacks also! But he is actually quite laid back and is a good kid, if I do say so myself!

I am sorry to hear about your Mom, and as Melissa say's it is nice to have the time to spend with her that you do have.

I love the idea of mason jars, that sounds cool, and with the stones, I've seen them at the dollar stores. And you could get a box of the small jelly mason jars pretty cheap, they make some really pretty ones now a days. And the rim on it would hold wire easily (a cheap roll from the hardware or even the craft store)
    For lining the walk have you thought about using candle bags, put some sand/rocks in the bottom so they don't blow over, if you can find bakers bags, they work too and might be cheaper. Try the local bakery or grocery store with a bakery, you might even get lucky and they will give you some.

Good luck, sounds like you have a lot of work to get done!

Vic

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Good idea with the bags, Vic!
    I've even seen some people use tin cans. They just punch/cut/drill holes in the sides and get the lantern effect that way.

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello Wendy;
    I think the tin cans sound great for the candles do not put too many holes in because the wind will then blow them out. You probably can get away without any side holes if you have open cans and that would have a really neat look if the light was reflecting off the cans and up.
    Fairy wings can easily be made from wire coat hangers. Put four of them together with the hanging hook and then cover them with tissue paper or even fabric.
    Wands can be made from lots of things, you could cover the end of a wooden spoon with aluminum foil and shred the edges so it appears to sparkle or any wooden or plastic garden stake.
    Hope the party is a great success. When is it and what do you need for plants? Send me an e-mail if you think I can help.
    diene

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Wendy I love the party theme for your mom! That is such a nice idea. She will love it. I like diene's idea of using the tin cans. Baby food jars would be another idea if you have any friends with little ones then they might be able to save them for you. Post on free-cycle.org too for any and all of the different candle holders. I picked up a bunch of glass votive holders for very cheap at our discount store called Marc's, Old Time Pottery also has tons of them for very little. Worth a shot if these stores are near you. Your Gaura seeds are on the way. I stuck them in the mail just now.

Vic, your seeds are in the mail too sweetie! I hope they do well for both of you. They are a little on the green sides but since they drop so quickly I picked them anyway. They are in parchment paper pouches so that should wick out any moisture, I think.

Tracy

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Dropping in to share some pics:) Nikki

Here is a link that might be useful: July pics

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Nikki, your July pics are beautiful! I especially like your behind the spa area and the spiral aloe. That is one nice plump watermellon too.

Karen, your blooms are outstanding! I wish the balloon flower was that blue! Wow is that vivid in the picture. All your photos are so bright and clear. You turning pro on me? Stunning! I'm glad you like the changes in the rock garden. I will be adding onto it in a few more sections soon. The side by the three season room is all sunken and has flat pavers there. I'm going to pull them up and make a little border bed to extend the area for the hosta and heuchera to wrap around along that walkway.

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

Nikki, beautiful flower beds you have!! Your swimming pool looks realllllllly nice! It is so humid today, that a dip in the pool would feel so good.

Wendy, your mom is going to have one beautiful birthday party! I'll keep her in my prayers. And everyone has such good ideas!

Melissa, I wintersowed some of the heliopsis, and was so happy to see two tiny green and white leafed seedlings. They were so cute. The rest (and it was only a few) were all green. The ones blooming for me now I received from Faintheart (Dee in Iowa) in a swap. I love the foilage also. I'll be sure to save seed from them. I love your Rose of Sharon. I believe I received that one in a swap from Micrey, and if so, I hope my blooms next year are just as pretty!

Pat, I was thrilled with the 'David Kirchhoff' daylily when it opened. I've had 2 blooms so far, but I can't remember if there were more. I have to admit, when my very first daylily opened this summer, I was really bummed out the next day when it was gone already. How dumb am I? lol. My sister said, 'I guess thats why they call it a day lily' She isn't even a flower person!! lol

Tracy, thanks for the photo compliments. I enjoy taking pictures of flowers. I'm a bad momma though, cuz I take more pics of the flowers right now, than my own kids! You are sure making a beautiful yard! I wish I could do more, as far as starting new beds, paths, etc., but I don't want to agitate my neck. So weeding and watering and planting here and there are it for now. I do have a perfect place to put a rock garden similar to yours, though, and I think about it alot!! lol Some day.....

Karen

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Karen, I'm just as bad of a mom as you are. If I'm not digging in the yard moving stuff around then I am taking pictures of the new blooms. I hope your neck gets back to normal soon. I know it has got to be frustrating the heck out of you. I'm praying for some healing.

Here are some pics I took today while taking a break from rearranging the shade garden.

Multi Blue Clematis
    {{gwi:615217}}

Lunch for the Butterfly

Can't remember the name of this DL.

Pink Double Delight Echinacea

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Beautiful pictures! I haven't shared for awhile because there is not much blooming with the hot, dry weather we have been having. I finally took some pictures anyway. The Limelight Hydrangea and Teddy Bear Sunflowers have been in my garden for awhile. The others are things I just bought. I almost bought Lorraine Sunshine a few weeks ago. I have never seen it in person. After seeing that picture, I'm sorry I didn't get it! Will see if I can find it again!

Limelight Hydrangea (This grows great for me in the sun, so I am very happy with it!)

Newer Hydrangea - variety unknown that I bought on sale recently

Two other sale plants: Monarda (Bee Balm) Jacob Cline - red one on the left and Ducksfoot Coleus on the right

Teddy Bear Sunflowers - they are so little and cute. My first time growing them. I grew these from seed

We finally got some rain yesterday so maybe I will be back with more pictures before the end of the summer. Keep it going!
    Jeanne

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Thanks for the compliments ladies. My camera has been on the blink so I'm just now getting caught up with my pics. Almost too late to get good pics of my daughter's sunflower hut:(
    Karen, the foliage on that heliosis is gorgeous!!! Tracy, the pink double echinacea is so pretty. I'm going to try to find some. Melissa, As always your plants are pretty and unique. Lovin those daylilies:)
    Jeanne, Are my those centers really pink with white petals on that hydrangea? AWESOME!!!
    Vic, I'd love to come tour your gardens - really special!
    Keep the pics coming ladies. Nikki

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Nikki, your flowers are beautiful! And don't worry about the pics, you can tell by Tracy and me that unless they are running behind or standing in front of the flowers they don't get in the pic! I would love to see your sunflower hut!

Tracy, I love that double delight! You better be careful, you'll be sending out the 'seed of the week' LOL

Jeanne, I have limelight, I can't wait till she gets as big and pretty as yours! Mine's just a baby!

Vic

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Vic, I will need to consult with the experts on the fertility of the pink double delight echi. Some of the hybrid ones are sterile. Oh Mariann! A little help on this one please! If it is sterile then I will have to just dig a division for you! :o) It is such a heavy bloomer. I am pretty pleased with it so far. Now Raspberry Tart hasn't been such a pretty bloomer yet so I will be moving it to more sun to see what it does over there.

Jeanne, your newer hydrangea stopped me in my tracks. It is beautiful! I love the pink center. It is so delicate. Your teddy bear sunflower is adorable. So fuzzy, definitely cuddle-able!

• pat_6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's a not-so-great photo of Hydrangea Limelight:
    {{gwi:1287806}}

This is a closer image of the blooms, showing a few different stages:

{{gwi:1287808}}

This is daylily "Ida's Magic":

{{gwi:1287810}}

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Pat your limelight is amazing. I can't believe how full it is. How old is it? I also really like the path along the edge there.

• pat_6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, Tracy! That Limelight was 12-15" high when I planted it in Aug 2004. I expected it to attain about 6' x 6'. Last year it was over 7' high and wide. This spring I pruned it back to about 4' high and wide. It's now well over 7' high and nearly 9' wide. I have 5 Limelights throughout the yard. They're all growing at a similar rate, so I guess it's good that I like them so much! LOL!

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Pat,

Good thing you like them is right! That is massive! lol! They are beautiful. I haven't been all that lucky with my hydrangeas. I have one that is putting on a few blooms for me in the shade garden but nothing spectacular. Wish they were more like yours, that is for sure. They only went in last year so I will give them some time.

I was so blown away by the Limelight that I didn't notice the dl. Ida's Magic is gorgeous. I love all those ruffles on the edges. What a beautiful contrast between the yellow and dusty rose color. She is a keeper for sure!

• pat_6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tracy, Those limelights are growing in full sun on the northeast side of the house. I also have Oakleaf Hydrangeas which, though only planted 2 years ago, are blooming well, too:

{{gwi:1287812}}

This picture makes them look like they've fallen over under the weight of the blooms. In truth, I think it's just that they've been expending their energies on the root system and will start growing "up" soon. (I have a few in a different area that did that. They are now about 5' high.) Anyway, the Oakleafs are planted on the NW end of the house, where they receive hot, hot, hot afternoon summer sun!

My "shade dwelling" hydrangeas haven't flourished so well for me. I was excited that, after 3 years, Endless Summer bloomed this year:

{{gwi:1287814}}

It's small (freezes back to the ground every winter) but pretty. My variegated and Blue Wave both freeze back as well. Neither has recovered to this point yet. So frustrating!

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Pat, I love your hydrangeas!

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Oh, Pat! The hydrangeas are gorgeous! I haven't tried growing them yet, but want to. I remember my great-grandma had an extremely large blue one at the corner of her house. It was to the roof line. We'd call it the "blue snow ball bush"! LOL
    Every year that it'd bloom, the flowers were as big as our heads! I don't know how she did it, I've never seen one have flowers that big before.
    She's been gone for years, and someone else lives in her house...and the bush hasn't bloomed very well since then, just a few buds here and there.
    I sure wish I knew great-grandma's secret. :O)

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Pat, maybe that explains why the shade hydrangea here are still kind of limping along. They have plenty of foliage just not many blooms. Only one year in the garden now so I will give them some time to grow up a bit.

My sunny hydrangea is not blooming again. I don't know what to do to get it to put on a show. I think it needs a kick in the pants.

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Loved the beautiful hydrangeas.
    Changing the flowers over to sunflowers now... LOL I usually do not plant sunflowers and had lots of sunflower seeds from trades so I planted them this spring. This is one that is blooming. Have no idea what variety it is and would love to know. Just to look at it, it looks like the darker color, but I also took a picture using flash and then you see the reds in it. The plant is around 3 feet tall. Any guesses?
    Jeanne

Without Flash

With Flash
    {{gwi:1287819}}

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Tracy, got my seeds! THANK YOU!!!

Jeanne, I don't know what kind it is, but I like it!!

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

I spent a little time looking up red sunflowers and I think this may be Chianti - doesn't seem to match the description every place I looked, but I did have some Chianti seeds. Anyway, I like it and think I will plant it again. Who else grows sunflowers and what kind?
    I have Chianti, Choco Sun and Teddy Bear that I am growing for the first time this year and they are nice for me (smaller sized.) Teddy bear is the fuzzy one I posted above.
    Not a lot blooming right now other than petunias and rudbeckias so that may account for my sudden interest in sunflowers. LOL
    Jeanne

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Vic, I'm glad they got there so quick. I hope they grow well for you. I need to collect some more when they are ready for my winter sowing. I want to have lots of the gaura in my new lasagna bed next year.

Jeanne, your sunflowers are so pretty. I never was very interested in them before you started posting your pictures. Now I'm falling in love with them. I am definitely going to have to pick up some seeds of the Teddy Bear and the Chianti for next year, I need to look up Choco Sun, that sounds like it is a stunner too.

• frenchfrylegs1
    15 years ago

these ar some of my flowers and such I am so excited to be able to show them off.

My clematis vine...this is the biggest it has ever gotten, must be all the horse poo I put on it!

close up of clematis..loads of flowers!

My sedum not sure of kind it is , daughter grew it in school horticulture class, it has been nice every year.