Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sassyd_gw

new: obf august cookbook swap

sassyd
16 years ago

OurBloomin Friends Friendship Swap Group was created to have a reliable, fair and safe haven to swap and trade between the group members. If you care to join us, we would love to have you. Please be a successful member of garden web and have had a trade with two or three of our members. Membership requests should be directed to veeja/carol via email.

Now lets get to the fun stuff.......

I think it would be nice to receive a cookbook representing the area you live in. I know I enjoy getting cookbooks from different areas of the country. Of course you could also send one of your choice like...

GRILLING OUT

MEXICAN COOKING

DOWN-HOME COOKING

SOUTHERN COOKING

CANNING BOOKS

DESSERTS

Also I adore Paula Dean cookbooks! lol (hint, hint)

We could do a 'Meal in a Jar'. Share a favorite receipe and put all the dry ingredients in a jar for our partner and don't forget to send the receipe!

I loved the idea to send a 'local food' lets try to do that one. Also if you'd like to try to find a plant with the name of a food, that would be fun. Candles with food names, anything goes as far as I'm concerned but lets try to keep food names!

This is going to be such fun, I love cookbooks!!!!

LET THE COOKING BEGIN!

Hope everyone can join the fun.

Comments (150)

• 1fullhouse
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the warm wishes. My nephew is doing better day by day. It will be with him for the rest of his life, having to see all that. It just breaks my heart. :( He's been seeing a counselor though, so I'm sure we'll get through this.

Ok, I don't want to be the one bringin' y'all down here! I'm excited about the weekend. Hubby promised to build me 3 new veggie gardens! YAY! I just can't wait to get my fall planting started. We've been getting rain the past three days, my flowers are looking so pretty right now! Though the 100 degree temps with 70% humidity is getting to me a bit. My curly hair is looking like a stuck my finger in a darned light socket! LOL

Sassy - I'm confused about the dancing, top 8 thing? I must have missed something along the lines. 'Splain Lucy! :D

Ananda

• sassyd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ananda, Remy has a friend that is dancing on the show 'Dancin' With The Stars' or So you think you can dance, don't remember which, and I think hes #8, Remy can explain better. Just thought we could all help out her friend and vote for him. She'll fill us in.

Gotta run move some plants before my dh kills them!
    Be back later. So glad for you girls that are getting rain, good grief we need some so bad.

Jeannie, are you getting any your way?

• mellen
    16 years ago

Goodness gracious!!! Look at all of this TALK! Looks like our SassyD is "SASSAAY" again.

Remy, I'm with you with all of the great "newbies." How WILL we keep track? Some days I can't remember my own name. But it is wonderful to have new people here. There just seems to feel like a new energy. Any of the "oldies" feel it?

Maryanne, any relief yet with the itches? I can always feel your happiness when I read that you have your grand with you.

Carol B.-the elder-noone can replace you, we all know that. Love 'ya.

Carol B.-the younger?-What kind of setting do you work in? One of my sisters is an RN, and I hear stories that leave me on the floor in stitches. Please feel free to share anytime!

Beth-Are you driving or flying to Alaska this time? Bet you're getting cranked!

Nancy-Have you finally been getting some rain, too? You often get them first then they come across to me. We have had some good overnight rains the last week and a half. Sounds like a great week-end coming up, too.

Annie-Did you get rain last night? You seem to get what I do just later. You sound like you need to slow down and take a deep breath, dear lady.

Deb-I know what you mean about Vista, too, at least from what I hear from our son. My parents and we bought him a laptop for Christmas, and he downloaded it later as part of the package. Lots of problems.

Trina, do you STILL like your job now that it is day 4? What do you do, or did I miss that? Are these some of your first daylilies? If so, girl, watch out! They can get under your skin just like hosta, and coneflowers, and coral bells, and......

Ananda, how very tragic for your nephew to be dealing with this. I trust he has a good support network to help him now and later on.

As for me, I have been under the weather, so to speak. A friend and I met two retired teacher friends-one of whom we had not seen in two years-last Thursday for an out-of-town "slumber party." Well, moi got sick to her stomach, called DH from 60 miles away to come get me, and he took me to the hospital where they kept me for 24 hours. They decided I had the flu and sent me home. I have spent most of the week in bed sleeping and/or trying to recoup. Been a slow process. Have done nothing outside or inside for that matter. But this too shall pass!

For those that I have missed, it was not intentional. I wish you all well. Have a blessed week-end.
    Mary Ellen/Mellen

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Ananda,
    My friend at work's son Neil(His brothers also work with me.) is on the tv show So You think You Can Dance. It is on FOX, and it is like American Idol but for dancers. There are only 8 contestants left, 4 guys and 4 girls. Being that he is in the top 10, he will get to tour the country no matter what. But if he stays on longer they will fly his mother out to see him. And I would just like to see him do as well as possible. His family is very nice. I found a video of him dancing the disco number from a couple nights ago. It is on the link below. The dance week four to the right on the link page was incredible. Oh, and the video is a bit grainy, but hopefully you can see how cute he is. A lot of the young female viewers just love him.

Sue G.,
    That is too bad : ( It is such a weed here! Oh well, we tried. You might be right about using it as a winter plant.
    Remy

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Remy-
    Neil is VERY good! (and a cutie, also!) :O) I have never seen the show, I don't watch much TV, but I watched that video you linked to...Wow. He definitely has talent, I'll say!
    And you are right - Week 4 IS incredible! I just love dancing, and even more so when they tell a "story" as well! :O)
    How do you vote? Is there a certain time you have to call or go to the website? I'd like to do my part to help out!! :O)
    Melissa

• 1fullhouse
    16 years ago

I watched the video, he's VERY good! I haven't ever seen the show before, but I'll have to check it out, and make sure I vote for him!

You ladies would NEVER want to see me dance..LOL I have absolute ZERO coordination. Though it does make my kids laugh when I'm dancing around the house... "Daddy! Mommy is going crazy AGAIN!"

LOL

Ananda

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Heya all! WHOOHOOO ITS FRIDAY!!!

Yes Mary Ellen, I really do like my new job! I am secretary for a wood finishing company. Its five minutes (literally) from my house and its very interesting. I have been adopted into a great work family!

These are my first Daylilys, I have just ONE other one that I planted back in April or so and it has never bloomed. I am hoping to be able to grow these.
    Thats awesome Remy!!! I love the video!

Pixie

• sandlapper_rose
    16 years ago

Too much news for me to keep up with it all, but thanks for sharing what is going on. Good luck and get wells to those who need it. Sassy, no rain here lately. I watched the weather report and everything seems to be in the eastern part of the state. That seems to happen with lots of the storm systems this month. There continues to be a "chance" of rain here through the weekend. I have cut back from watering my tomato plants 3 times a day to 2 times a day. They are in pots (small pots) so with sun and high 90's, the soil completely dries out. I am getting some tomatoes though. I planted "interesting" varieties this year - most are from seeds I got from GardenWeb - I think Remy and Beth sent some of them to me. I have Purple Cherokee, Red Fig, Yellow Pear, Tigrovy, Red Lightning, Tumbling Toms and several others. I am not even sure when to pick some of them because I don't really know the shape, color, and size to look for! We are enjoying them anyway.

• sassyd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Annie, glad you're getting some rain. We got a little this afternoon, but not enough to really help much. At least the top of the dirt is wet.

Sue I would definitely try them later. I have mine planted in huge concrete planters, which since we moved are still sitting on the ditch bank only when it rains (which is hardly ever the last few months)do they get water and I sware I was mowing grass yesterday and rode by them, bloomin' away! I can't seem to kill them, lol. Not that I've tried, but I have tried to help them survive either.

Lol, Mellen right now Sassy is tired, but Sassy does hate a dull party! And Sassy is thrilled with the response of this swap and thank goodness for some 'fresh meat'!!!!!! lol Us oldies were getting pretty darn boring! I'm tickled pink, we're over 100 posts and the swap hasn't started yet! Yayyyyyyyyy! Sure you can't join? (Temptation, can be a good thang!) At least keep speaking with us.

Yes Beth, tell us about your trip and we want pics please!
    You know I'm addicted to that movie 'The Guardian' everytime they say Kodiac (sp?) I think of you! I love that movie, even though.....you know. (I won't say, just in case someone out there has not seen it) When we go to the other house I have to watch dvds since we don't have cable up there, so some get watched over and over. lol I'm thinking about installing cable at least during the summer months when we go more often.

Trina, Mellens right, before long they're won't be too many out there that 'you don't just HAVE to have!' Be careful.......

Remy, he really is awesome! & cute! Thanks you make sure and keep us reminded.

Ananda, I can see you now doing the 'Electric Slide'!!!!

Jeannie sorry to hear that, its aweful here too. What little we got this afternoon hasn't made a dent. Hopefully we're getting some more.
    Well keep in mind there's always 'Fried Green Tomatoes'!

Question to anyone that knows.....I have moles/voles, heck I don't know all over the place around my daylilies, should I worry about them eating the roots, are they just a nuisance? No harm, no fowl? What to do about them if they are harmful?

And one more thing...........................................

TRUTH OR DARE!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I dare one of you to buy a cookbook for your partner and NOT buy one for yourself at the same time?

Ananda.............YOU'RE IT!

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Heya Sassy, my aunt and granma always planted I believe jonquils to deter moles in the flower beds and gardens. They swear by it.
    Well it has rained here the past two days but I did get the roses planted and the ground cover and today I walked outside unprotected and KNOW someone could have played dot to dot from moquitos bites on me!!! I was just out there less than 10 minutes planting two pink butterfly plants!!! I have tons of cans of off usually but my Alan took them all with him to the lake to go camping for the weekend!!! (went to my secret storage bin and found a full can though AFTER the mosquitos had a 4 course meal on me!) I still haven't planted the daylilys, for some reason I am scared (first time for everything eh?). I am going to plant them in the morning forsure! I don't want to plant them in Fox Lake (the back of our back yard) cause it holds water way bad. I will find a good place for them though I am sure.

I sure wish I could send some of the rain we keep getting to anyone!!!
    Smiles
    pixie

• 1fullhouse
    16 years ago

Sassy!!! I so totally already lost that dare.... HAHAHA, I went out last Saturday and bought 4, yup FOUR cookbooks. LOL DH says what on EARTH do you need 4 MORE for!? I told him about the swap and I just wasn't sure what my partner would want! LOL Oh well.

Ok Trina...YOU'RE IT!!!

Stopped at Lowes today to grab more potting soil...they had 5gal Reggae Breeze hibiscus on sale in really nice containers too. hehe, I bought 1 of those, plus the soil of course.

{{gwi:1288082}}

• skohler
    16 years ago

my favorite cookbook are the recipes you get out of the taste of home books I ordered for 1yr & never got it
    they say they never got the check so i put a stop payment for it was lost somewhere & so never did reorder :(

found that they have the tried & true easy home cooking you can afford :)))
    looking forward to swapping with a new member for i sure have many plants that are ready for good home's .

mellen hope your feeling better.
    stay well ladies & Have a great weekend

susie

• veeja11
    16 years ago

The moles aren't after your plants they are after the insects in the soil, they can however destroy roots while tunneling, best way to get rid of them is to mark your territory, urinate in the run, dig in the mound till you find a hole then go in it, may want dh to do this. it works perfectly. have fun and don't forget I am in the swap now.
    hugs carol

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Veeja, gonna try that, I know how to squat behind trees and even aim good ;).
    Ok I already bought a couple cookbooks and of course I had to get one for myself of the same and also picked up one that I already had and love! I had to explain also! Oh well it was fun trying to decide which cookbook to get so I got a couple and had lots of fun looking!
    Thats a beautiful Hibiscus Seraki!!!!

Hmmmm lets see Tag Susie YOUR IT now!

Smiles
    Trina

• raggedyann161420
    16 years ago

I just wanted to stop in before leaving for work to thank Susie for the nice box that came today, and to wish everyone a great week-end. I will be back MOnday morning aroud 10 or so. DH has a doctors appointment to get his meds refilled.

Mellen yes, we did get rain through the night;I think it was around 3or 4 in the morning. Then we had little showers up till noon, it cleared off and heated up but I did get some more weeds pulled. I'm glad you are feeling better, I know there is a nasty flu going around, and I hope it doesn't come for a visit.

Carol, I hope you get your package tomorrow, I won't have access to a computer, but will take the delivery confirmation slip with me so I can check by telephone.

I've not had trouble with moles/voles for a few years. The little critters left for greener pastures. Lucky me!

Sassy, I love your graphics, where on earth do you find them all?

Again Welcome to all the newbies, and can't wait to find out who I will be sending to.

Well, I have to hit the road soon, so you gals be good, and have a safe week-end.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• sassyd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Trina I'm so sorry to keep going on about rain, I know some folks in TX are literally swimming in it. The weather gets more weird every year. I sware. Honey, theres nothing a skeeter loves better than me! Must be my 'Jean Natte' lol, NEVER worn it in my life! JK

Lol, Ananda...so you're telling me I'm not the only one in this group that has NO willpower! Definitely not when it comes to a cookbook. That Reggae Breeze hibiscus is the bomb girl! Love it

SueK, love Taste of Home! One of my fav's!

Carol, I would never forget you girl! Thanks for the info, dh & myself got quite a chuckle out of that one, but he's perfectly willing to do the work! I'm very sure the neighbors don't want to see my fat @$$ squatted over that mole hole! lol

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Awww Sassy ya don't have to apologize, I don't mind the rain, actually it helps my water bill out alot!! We are trying to get the grass in the front yard filled in and the rain helps. I would love to get some ducks but I don't think ma doggies would like them much. I really can't complain cept for the dang skeeters!!!

I finally was taught how to post pictures here so look out!!! These are of my Love Garden and my Pond. (and of course the babies)

• sassyd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Trina those pics are great! I love that plant at the back of the pond, is that some kind of gunnera? Awesome! Love it!

I just read this, its cute.........

A woman brought a very limp duck into a vet. As she laid her pet on the
    table, the vet pulled out his stethoscope and listened to the bird's'
    chest. After a moment or two, the vet shook his head sadly and said,
    "I'm so sorry, your duck has passed away."

The distressed owner wailed, "Are you sure?" "Yes, I'm quite sure. The
    duck is dead," he replied. "How can you be so sure," she protested. "I
    mean, you haven't done any testing on him or anything. He might just be
    in a coma or something."

The vet rolled his eyes, turned around and left the room and returned a
    few moments later with a black Labrador Retriever. As the duck's owner
    looked on in amazement, the dog stood on his hind Legs, put his front
    paws on the examination table and sniffed the duck from top to bottom.
    He then looked at the vet with sad eyes and shook his head.

The vet patted the dog and took it out, and returned a few moments later
    with a cat. The cat jumped up on the table and also sniffed delicately
    at the bird. The cat sat back on its haunches, shook its head, meowed
    softly and strolled out of the room.

The vet looked at the woman and said, "I'm sorry, but as I said, this is
    most definitely, 100% certifiably, a dead duck."

Then the vet turned to his computer terminal, hit a few keys and
    produced a bill which he handed to the woman. The duck's owner, still in
    shock, took the bill. $450!", she cried - "$450 just to tell me my duck
    is dead?" The vet shrugged. "I'm sorry. If you'd taken my word for it,
    the bill would have been only $20. But with the Lab Report and the Cat
    Scan, it's now $450".

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

hey everyone, i went out earlier today and all i did was take out the trash and got 6 bites. the can of off is right by the back door and there's SSS on the table in the garage. but all i was doing was taking out trash.

a few years back, we went out on the bay to go fishing. the friggin green flies got me - ever get bit by one of them? well, after it was all said and done, i had 181 bites on one leg alone. not counting my other, my arms, etc. i was sprayed and i had those fly strips hanging in the boat. the fishing trip sucked for me, but others were enjoying. finally, i couldn't stay out there anymore. i think i was out of it for the next week due to all the bites - did something weird to me internally.

i say all this as my body is stick wracked with poison ivy and i'm itching like made in certain places. i am really hoping no scarring - it's on my arms and i've been using neosporin all throughout the day and then at night, i break off an aloe leave and gob it all over me. i knew it was bad the other day when the guy in the store basically threw my change at me, i guess he thought i was a leper. when you look at my right arm, it's the inside of the arm, i actually look like i've been burned, that's how nasty it is.

we are having rain and thunder and lightning. i would love a few days of continuous fine misting rain, but these are basically heat storms - come in quick, do a lot of damage and move on. in the meantime, my gracie is going absolutely nuts and if she could crawl up into my skin, she would. if i had some valium, i'd stick it in a snausage and give it to her. the other one just hangs out like "look at me, i'm a big girl". too funny

remy, i on'y watched the show one time to see who you were talking about. i will however make sure i vote. i just don't know what night it is on. i've ben watching a strange one - pirate master - although i don't know what happened to it this week, i didn't see it, and the one i wanted gone was set adrift. i would have liked to see that. you can watch them on the internet, but instead i read the recap. anyone else see that one?

well, i've been trying to clean the house all day. trying and not succeeding. i'm not good at it. i have way too much stuff for the size house i have and there's no where to put anything - no closets. on top of that, i'm in the process of scraping the paint and wallpaper from the spare room - which has pretty much been a nothing room. i decided after 12+ years of living here, it should finally become a bedroom. so after hours and hours, i'm not even 1/2 way through the dining room - a room i never start in, but did this time for some reason. at least all the photo/frames are cleaned and dusted and two of the four china cabinets have been murphy oiled and cleaned. my weekend should be real exciting!

have we heard lately from janell/luna? i know she got rally busy when she started her job, but i don't recall seeing her too often. janell, are you out there? are you still with us?

how terribly sad today the two news helicopters reporting a story, on air, and crashing. God bless them and their families. such a tragic loss.

be well!
    maryanne

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Thats a good one Sassy!!! Gonna have to remember that one !
    Which plant Sassy? From the left to right there is Purple Wistera (growing close to the porch window, then Plumeria, tall stick looking thing, behind it rubber trees,a something palm (gonna have to look at the rock marker), then giant elephant ears (taro) (blk magic taro is closer to the front on the left, its alot larger now, the picture is a couple weeks old) then in the pot is a shefellera (sp) Let me know which one and I can send ya some of it!

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Maryanne, I sure hope your Poison Ivy heals quickly. It is time for that junk to be gone from your body!!! I'm praying for you girlie girl. It is very sad about the news helicopters crashing, very tragic loss forsure.

Hope you feel better soon,
    Pixie

• sassyd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm assuming its got to be the 'giant' taro. Dang, never seen one that big! Girl please, I want a cutting from that plumeria, I have some brugs if you're interested. Email me. Actually I emailed you a couple of days ago, assuming you didn't get it, but no problem.

Maryanne, just emailed you about the wallpaper, hope you get it. Let me know if it works.........God, wishing you a quick recovery, can't imagine having it all over me, one spot is bad enough, but you know, you never have it in just one spot, you end up spreading it and don't even realize you're doing it. Take care girl.

Sassy

• brittneysgran
    16 years ago

Sassy-You are wild girl...So many posts...It's like I've been gone for weeks and weeks. Sign me up for the cook book swap. I probably have 30-40 so what's one more. Sure hope your sibs and japs are still alive. Get them replanted and let's hope so.

Welcome all the new members, how nice to have new ones to trade and swap with.

Ananda-sorry to read about your nephews girlfriend. My nieces husband committed suicide a few years back and his oldest son still has problems with it. He was playing russian roulette and lost.

Pixie-I also work for a wood Company, been there 24 years. They make hardwood floors and of course I have it in my home and love it. They are so easy to take care of.

Maryanne-Wow you really do have a bad case of poison ivy. Here's hoping it dries up soon.

Shirley

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Hi Brittany, "we" (now including me :) ) do refinishing and reupostering (gonna have to learing to spell that word soon). 24 years is a long time and must be an awesome job!

Just sent you an email Sassy, let me know if you don't receive it, sooo tired of this computer trouble!!! Gonna call them tomorrow and ask for windows something else be put on here instead of Vista!!!

• 1fullhouse
    16 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts Shirley. :) They're much appreciated.

All you gals work in flooring...I'm in roofing! LOL Ladies we've got it covered top to bottom, eh?

That helicopter crash happened about 5 miles from my work. It's of course been all over the news here. It really is very sad, just breaking my heart. The amazing thing is that no body else was hurt. That's an extremely busy part of town, the VA hospital only a couple hundred yards away, plus businesses, restaurants, homes, everything. They just happened to crash in the ONLY park within miles.

Sassy, you have me in stitches between your crack about squatting over the mole hole, and your duck joke!

And there is absolutely NO WAY I am doing the electric slide!!!! (Except that one time margaritas were involved, but we're not talking about that one...)

Ananda

• sassyd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes Ananda! It WOULD be my crack squatting over they mole hole!!!!!!!!!!

• 1fullhouse
    16 years ago

OH MY! I seriously did NOT mean it that way but HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

Well ladies, good-night for tonight! I'm heading off to a horribly late 10:15 softball game... Wish me luck, hopefully my tired clutzy butt won't hurt herself!!!

• skohler
    16 years ago

gm ladies so much chatter last evening :))
    hey the Duck store hits home hard with me & it is not that far fetched . TRUE STORY

i had a cockatoo "DENI" in july o6 one morning she wasn't acting right i called my vet he was out of town so
    called another they didnt do birds but gave me a # to call
    in lansing 45 mins from here so took her right over this was about 10:30 am by time we got there doc took a blood test was sitting in the chair waiting for test to come back & deni laying in a towel next to my chest reached up with her beak grabbed my collar bone & bite down like there was no tomorrow doc come in to see what the problem & was going to try to get her to let go of my collar bone but you do not unlock a beek like theirs till they are ready to let go .
    anyway long story short vet put her into an oxygen tank
    like a fish tank so she could breath better took me he wanted to keep her over night & told me to come home.
    this was 2:30 pm he called me at 4 pm to say she passed away & that he wanted to ask permission to do an atopsy
    to see why she died . well I went the next morning to pick up her body found she had died from cancer of the liver
    & he handed me a bill of $580. for blood work ,given her oxygen , if I had known she was that close of dieing I could have brought her home to die in my arms .
    sick for days after .

sorry ladies just had to share just to say look what our country is coming to its all about the almighty $$$$
    for a life .

we have had a few rain drops this pass week could use more :)) boy did i make a great find yesterday :)
    our local ace gardenshope had plant makers marked down .
    bought 3pks of20 per pk aluminum p tags for .62 cents ea
    2pks 4"plastic stakes .94 cents ,2 pks loop labels .50cents ea , 2pksof 30 colored plant label 5" for
    $1.ea & 2 pks of ornamental T labels 10 per pk for $1.a pk .:))

BUT I can always use MORE lables :)) BRING ON THE PLANTS :))) HEHEHE DELICIOUS ONES FOR ZONE 5 Please :)

well i need to get out side while it is a little cloudy
    so have a great day ladies .
    Hope i didnt bore you with my sad story .

susie

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi All,
    Wow a lot of chatting last night!

Mellen,
    Good to see you post. I must of started working on my post when you finished yours. I'm sorry to hear you had to go to the hospital! Well, at least you are ok.
    Yes, I feel lots of good new energy too : )

Melissa and all,
    I'm glad you enjoyed the videos. The show is on Wed. at 8pm. I'll post next week when the show is on.

Jeanne,
    I'm so glad you are growing the tomatoes! I definitely know I sent you Tigrovy. Please remember to give taste reports one they are ripe.

Sassy,
    Thanks for not giving the movie away. I still have not seen it.
    Lol about the Chick and Egg pic!
    I'm sure there are a a few odd neighbors who would love to see you going in a hole, LOL!!!

Maryanne and Trina,
    I am the same way with attracting the bugs. Everyone around me is ok, but I get bitten alive!

Susie,
    Not a boring story at all. Those vet bills can be a killer! I think that is why Sassy's joke is all the funnier, the truth within it. It is like last night Gary and I got in an argument. I have trouble arguing with him because he makes me laugh about the things I do.

Talk to you all later,
    Remy

• sassyd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh thats sad Sue, sorry to hear that. You're right, they'll burn you good, they know we'll do what we have to when it comes to our furry & feathered friends.

Well got all my plants moved to a new bed, now going to get mulch. Looks like we may actually have rain this afternoon. Lord I hope so.

Later....
    Sassy

Beth did you decide if you can join? Where's Laura????????
    Anyone heard from her lately? Am I missing anyone else?
    I wanted to round this thing off, need 1 more. We're at 23 sign ups! Isn't that wonderful!!!!

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

GW everyone

you know, i forgot to mention - or did i mention - that laura won't be around for a little while longer. she's doing some necessary medical work in the DR (God bless this girl...i just love her heart). max has joined her. she's been there a month or so and comes back the end of august. her mother has joined her so that she can look after maaax. it was all kind of last minute and her heart was talking to her and off she went. just in case anyone misses her (like i do) and was curious where she is. please keep her and her son in your thoughts and prayers as she completes this life task. she's working under some terrible conditions and says you really have to appreciate all you have when you go into a place such as this.

did everyone keep a copy of their own questionnaire? if so, could you please email to each of the new players. i have a few on line, but mostly printed them out and placed them in a folder. this would be of great help, especially since i think sue said her computer crashed and she no longer has them.

maryanne

• sandlapper_rose
    16 years ago

Wow, this group has gotten chatty! Great to see all the postings!
    Sassy, just a quick comment on moles and voles. The voles will eat plant roots, so you may want to figure out which one you have. Rather than go on and on about them, I'm sure the information is on a web site. We have voles where we live (and I suspect that might be what you have) but but they are not too bad and I notice that our cat catches some occasionally. (Do you have a cat?) I think there are baits you can use for them, but you have to be careful of those if you have pets and (grand)children and I know you have both of those to be concerned about.
    When I posted yesterday, "no rain here" - after that we did get a little late last evening. Only a little rain, but the interesting part to this is that for about an hour before it rained we had lightning (too far away to hear any thunder) but it was amazing - lit up at least half of the sky and came about every 20 seconds - it was like fireworks without the noise! Then we got a little thunder and a little rain. It is cooler this morning so that is great. I should go to do some more outdoors and take advantage of this. We had a cooler weekend last weekend, too, and the humidity was way down - very odd for SC in the summertime, but no complaints from me!
    Beth, I hve been getting ripe tomatoes for a few weeks now. I know I have gotten some that are Tigrovy. They are all good! My husband gives me strange comments about the Purple Cherokee tomatoes. The outside coloring is just a little odd, but sometimes the seed cavity area is quite purple - almost black. As I said, I am growing "interesting" ones. Later, I will try to harvest some of the seeds - this will be my first attempt. I read about how they have to ferment. Sounds like a mess, but I think I will try it with at least a few varieties. That way I can share...
    Enjoy the weekend!

• sweetkitten51
    16 years ago

No remy I did not know that this was a year round group.
    Thou I have joined in on their swap and fun several times in the past.
    Please let me know if I can join again.
    God bless.

• mellen
    16 years ago

Sassy, I have changed my mind. Please, sign me up! Thanks, Mary Ellen

• cedarnest
    16 years ago

Susie that is so sad about your bird.Yes and very terrible your vet had to charge you so much : (

Sassy that vet joke was a riot tho.Ain't it the truth! I had to send it to all of my friends.

Mellen..We finally got almost 3 inches of rain the other night.Thats our 1st since May 26th.Amazing how everything greened back up already.I thought for sure everything was a goner.Hope you get more and hope we do too : ))

I am off to shop the clearance plant sales at the garden center.I am hoping to find some coneflowers.I only have 2..I love them but I saw they come in all different colors and not just pink anymore.Yeah..I know..you can sure tell I don't get out much!LOL

Hope all of you have a Great weekend.
    Nancy

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

sweetkitten, i posted this above. if you have interest in this group, please follow directions.

RE:dkotchey, sweetkitten51 and ctack2
    clip this post email this post what is this?
    see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by earthlydelights Z6 PA (My Page) on Thu, Jul 26, 07 at 20:02

Weve been together since April of 2006. Each month the swap changes, based on what the host has selected as her theme for the month. Themes have already been selected for the year; although there are instances where the hostess and/or theme could change barring unfortunate circumstances. We share both gardening and non-gardening items; but focus on plants during the growing season.
    Packages are sent within the time frame set by the host. Requirements are that you are a fair, honest and reliable trader; should be a member of GW for 3 to 6 months and have had a trade with a few members of this group.If you scroll above in one of the posts you can see a listing of the group membership names. This is not a one month group, it's committed. You dont have to participate every month, but commit to anywhere between one-half to ¾ of the swaps that go on yearly. Even if you are not participating, still come to the boards and chat, discuss your garden, share your blooms/pictures, etc. Each month you should always check the new post and comment whether or not it is your intention to play and then check back for assigned partner.

We also "reward" the hostess of the particular month's swap with a small token of appreciation for putting it together and keeping track and all the in between - it could be a plant, seeds/bulbs, personal trinket or anything of your choice. You must also post when you send, which should be done so with confirmation number, and for certain post when you receive your package.

If this still sounds like something you would be interested in, please email carol (veeja3@wmconnect.com).

We are a wonderful group, if I do say so myself!

Maryanne

• mellen
    16 years ago

Nancy, we ended up with 3/4" out of the last rain. We have had a few rains since May but not much. I had just started watering last week. That must have done the trick, eh? It is a gorgeous day here, today. Humidity is finally down, and I am feeling so much better than I have for a whole week! Yahoo!!! This afternoon DH and I are going to freeze our homegrown peaches.

SweetKitten, Iowa? Where? Me, too. I'm 35 miles NE of Ames.

Need to get going. I hear him rustling around. Mary Ellen/ME

• mellen
    16 years ago

SandlapperRose, I just e-mailed you. Would you please post whether you received it or not? Thanks, Mary Ellen

• sandlapper_rose
    16 years ago

I didn't get it, Mary Ellen. I will try to e-mail you and then maybe you can just click on the reply button.

• sassyd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Whoohoo! We have Shirley & Mellen joining us! Great news.
    Wow, its been a long time since we've had just about the entire group. I'm honored, even though I know ya'll did it to get another cookbook, lol! I love the cooking magazines too, get to look at the pics too.

Maryanne, I may have just missed it, will be glad when she can be with us again. You're right, she sure does have a big heart.
    I think I still have my questionare, I'll send it to the girls and to Sue.

Jeannie, I don't have a cat but I do have a snake that is constantly in the daylilies, so maybe he'll get them. We have an understanding relationship, I understand him, he understands me........you leave me alone, I'll leave you alone!
    Yes last weekend was wonderful, we were at the other house and could sit out on the deck and it felt so good and NO skeeters! It was so nice.

Later....
    Sassy

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Your just rubbin in the no skeeters aren't ya Sassy???? lol The relationship with the snake is a tolerable one, it will eat alot of the larger bugs (grasshoppers, etc.)

I am excited about this swap, can't wait to get a partner, I have been collecting already!!!

Pixie

• skohler
    16 years ago

well i guess trina has tagged me to do a truth or dare
    & I trully have never played this before & so taken a stab at this :))) Truth I have Not been out looking for that special cook book till I get the name as to who I will be sending to ,

& will now tag Hazelnutbunny your it . if i didnot play the game right please tell me how it is played :))
    ole ladies can learn new games if taught :)))

well sorry it took so long to get on here tonight but have had a busy day .

also any of you new gals that woulds like to share pictures ith us to get to kno you better please post them on OBF PHOTO FORUM skohler /sandlapperrose
    we have 2 places for pictures .

hope to get to kno you there .

susie

• ctack2
    16 years ago

Well, I guess I won't be joining you ladies. I haven't traded with anyone in the group before. Sandy has sent me something, and I've been in a swap group with Hazelnutbunny, but haven't swapped with either of them personally (at least I don't think I sent Sandy anything in trade for what she so graciously sent me - if I did Sandy, let the other Carol know)....so.....I have a proposition.....
    Since I really want to be in on the cookbook/food/goodies swap and join you fun sounding bunch of ladies, does anyone want to swap with 2 people? The one you get from the swap and with ME? THEN I will have a recorded swap with a group member and I can join you! Woohoo! Just think - double your pleasure, double for fun, with lots of stuff, lots of stuff, yum yum yum! lol
    If no one wants to - or if the hostess would prefer that I don't crash her reign - I'll understand, tuck my tail between my legs and start chanting 'no one loves me, everyone hates me, i'll just go eat worms!'....and sit in the corner for a while.

Someone asked me where I work....I'm an LPN in a Veteran's Hospital, and yes, I have had plenty of things happen while I've been here. Especially since I went to the psych ward about 5 years ago. My first 12 years I spent on med/surg.....some good things happened there too. Like the night this really crotchety old coot got ticked off about something. I was in his room and he grabbed his urinal to empty it and left the room. I called after him that he had a bathroom there in his room, and he kept walking. The charge nurse was standing at the counter on the OUTSIDE of the nurses station, she had just reached over the counter and answered the phone. As I stood at his door calling to him, he walked passed her and without missing a step, raised his urinal and emptied down her back! Since she was someone I not only wasn't friends with, I actually couldn't stand her - I thought this was too too funny. She did not share my opinion. Oh, by the way, he was on the medical floor because he had gotten sick while on one of the psych wards....go figure! Maybe he thought she had moles/voles. LOL.

Well, will get out of here for tonight. I still have cartoon to send out to soldiers, clothes to fold for my grandaughter that is going home tomorrow (sniff sniff) and have to be to work in 5 hours. Woe is me!

Have a great day everyone
    Carol B

• sandlapper_rose
    16 years ago

Oh, dear... I just accidentally deleted what I had typed so here goes again...
    Sassy, that snake should help out with your voles. We have snakes, lizards, toads, birds, etc. that help in our garden. Love them all! Tomato hornworms have been my problem lately and there is a wasp that lays its eggs on the back of the hornworm and that kills them. The wasp got one the other day and I was cheering - nice to have another "helper."
    Carol B (clack), I liked your idea and hope someone will arrange a trade with you. I am trying to stay away from tempting foods right now, otherwise I would offer to do that. I think one food related swap will be sufficient for me this month! If you can't arrange a trade with someone else in the group for the cookbook related swap, I would be happy to do a seed trade with you at some point.

Well, I think that was what I tried to say before my message disappeared.

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

ctack2 - carol,

i'll take a chance with you. everyone deserves to "prove themselves", so if you want, i'll swap with ya. i will need to know a little about your likes and dislikes, so either post here or email me, but you might want to post here and let everyone else get to know you if you are to become a member.

maryanne

• cedarnest
    16 years ago

Ctack2/Carol B I would be happy to do a trade with you to help you get your foot in the door.Just email me if you want to do one ok?

Oh my I have never played truth or dare so I hope nobody tags me.I wouldn't know what the heck to do.LOL

Well its still cool out thismorning so I am heading out to do some weeding before the Nascar Race begins.Everything comes to a halt at my house for the races.It my "other" passion.LOL

Have a Great Day Ladies : ))
    Nancy

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Good Morning Ladies,
    Sassy, Fox and I went out last night. He got me a present, I have been wanting a new pair of rubber boots to go ditch digging with (wore ma other ones out) and he bought me some pink sturdy ones! So after we dined we went to look at land (hopefully we'll find some so we can build eventually) and he stopped and let me dig up some bog plants! Just scared a couple cotton mouths away, (didn't get the inside of the boots wet from almost tinkling in ma pants with fright either!)
    Sue, I think ya did Truth & Dare perfect!!! I had never played before either so ya did great!!!
    Carol B- that story is soo good and funny!

I know this may be a silly question but..... what the heck is a "VOLE"???
    Pixie

• sassyd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, lets see if I have the sign up right....So far I have these down as signed-up for our August Cookbook Swap.

Diane/Sassy
    Remy
    Maryanne/Earthlydelights
    Ananda/Seraki
    Melissa/Hazelnutbunny
    Debbya
    Sue/SKohler
    Nancy/cedarnest
    Sandy/ShadyMeadow
    Trina/Pixieluvplants
    Melinda/ilovefarac
    Sue/SueG
    Renne'/rennep
    Jeannie/SandlapperRose
    Klickitat
    Amy/amybabyboy3
    Anne/Raggedyann
    April/dirtundermynails
    Sherril/boballi
    CarolB/veeja11
    Kim/lilgreenthumb
    Shirley/brittneysgran
    MaryEllen/Mellen
    CarolB/ctack2
    Sweetkitten51?
    dkotchey?

? Sue/Carol please let me know if these ladies have filled out their questionares, etc. I was going to try to post partners later tonight, but I really want to be able to hear from Beth, don't want her to miss out on it if she WANTS to be in it, and she may be traveling and can't get to a computer. I know everyones anxious to know who they're partner is.

Maryanne, looking in my OBF files, I don't have an updated friends list. Mine is from when I first joined so I really don't know whos in the group that hasn't signed up.

Let me know if I've missed anyone. I'll be working on partners....

Sassy

• dancingmoons
    16 years ago

~~ Hi Sassy!!...I think you missed me :(
    Unless i am so blind without my glasses i just dont see my name on the list ! LOL!!

I signed up to play at the beginning of the thread...PLMK, if i am ok to play...or if you have an "even" number of players without me, then i will sit out
    Blue Skies!
    Trish/DancingMoons

• sassyd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yep, sure did Trish, I'm soooooo sorry. Time I saw your post I looked at my sheet and I new what I'd done. Just so you know I just popped myself on the hand! lol

Ok, I think this will be the last time it will let us post, we're at 150 so give me a few minutes and I'll be posting a new thread!

Again, so sorry Trish:))