Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celeegra

NEW: Birthday Club Round Robin

celeegra
12 years ago

Hi Everyone

I keep looking at that old post for the Birthday Club Round Robin & thinking what a sweet idea.

Do we have enough interest in this to start it back up? I thought it would also be nice to have 2 robins for 2 different kinds of traders - seed & plant.

SEED RR = send 1 birthday card each month (except your month) & include at least 3 kinds of seeds

PLANT RR = send 1 large bubble envy or small box with at least 1 plant (pls send multiples if you are sending small bulbs or rhizomes)

Rules -

1) be a GW member in good standing

2) have a relatively updated wish list so that we can all see your preferences & try to send you something you would like

3) commit to sending out for 1 year starting in August 2011

4) we will fill up each month with one seed person & one plant person. you do not have to participate in both.

January

February

March

April

May

June - Seed & Plant: celeegra

July

August

September

October

November

December

I'm still new to the whole RR thing, so please, RR veterans, if there's anything I'm missing or if you have any suggestions, please let me know!

Hope there's some interest! Thanks

Grace

Comments (40)

• jlee160
    12 years ago

sounds like fun! sign me up:)

• earthlydelights
    12 years ago

Sign me up. I'll take May.

Maryanne

• jlee160
    12 years ago

oops- I'll take october

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

Grace,
    I am not going to sign up because I have committment issues. (Really. I am afraid something will happen and I will let someone down.)
    But....Nov through February will be difficult for plant people, depending on zone. Availability of bulbs and plants, plus the safety of shipping them in sub freezing temps could cause problems.
    Just throwing that out there so you can think of a work around.
    Alana

• sred98
    12 years ago

This sounds like a neat idea, but I am not sure what the rules are? Each person sends in seeds and/or plants each month in a birthday card? Who gets the cards? How do they get them? What if there's not a birthday that month? What if only one person has a birthday in a certain month, but another month has several? How would you even that up?

I'm not trying to be difficult, just confused! Lol!

Shelly

• Debra Andruska
    12 years ago

Birthday round robins are so much fun. But, during the cold months- November thru May, plants can't be shipped.
    So, unfortunately- only seeds could be sent, or non- plant items. I've hosted several birthday swaps, round robins, box swaps.
    Usually, they do well for the first few months- it's hard to keep them going. A seed/card birthday robin sounds more realistic.

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    12 years ago

One more thing.. plants don't do well sent in a bubble envelope, only- a box. Even bulbs, corms, tubers get smashed, bruised/broke in half when shipped in a padded envelope. So to make things work- I would require just one way to mail ALL items for the swap, so it stays fair. So you don't run into problems (one person sending smashed bulbs in an envelope, while another is sending a perfect box/plant by priority and paying more.) Or if all seeds are sent in an envelope, make sure to let everyone know it's a bubble, etc. Just so you don't get someone sending seeds regular mail (and the seeds getting smashed going through regular mail machines, etc.) Seeds do get smashed going through the mail machines, I know, and have received many smashed beyond recognition, LOL..

Few ideas to help, good luck on your swap!

Deb

• celeegra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Alana & Deb, I was thinking about the whole plant thing in winter months too. A couple workarounds I was thinking of would be to make sure we have a few people in warmer zones, bulbs that could be forced indoors & houseplants.

The commitment issue is also challenging -- believe me, I've been with my partner for 9 years & it was only last month that I finally introduced my parents.
    Shelly, I figured we hold signup until each month gets filled, one person per month, & we all sent one card or present to that person. So for example, my birthday is June so everyone in the seed RR would send me a birthday card with seeds in it. I would get 11 cards that month. Then I would send a card to each person of the month in the other 11 months.

It would definitely be a 1 year commitment on everyone's part. Otherwise it wouldn't work out. And for that one year, it would be a committed group of 12 people.

That's why I asked if there's interest.

I guess there are a couple ways around this -
    One is to keep it to seeds, not plants.
    The other is we could do it in true round robin style where we start a box & it gets passed from month to month to 1-2 birthday folks, & each person takes 12 seeds & replaces with 12 seeds. That way, even if people come in & out, there's no love lost.

What do you think?

• sred98
    12 years ago

Oooh...either one of those sound good. See, I was thinking the same thing about it going hot and heavy for a while, then petering out later. Of course, this is someone with an April birthday speaking! Lol!

I am definitely interested, so put me down for April, and I'll do whatever y'all decide. I love plants, but I can see how it might not work in winter. However, if we are sending a big RR seed box around, then we could do small bulbs/corms, etc.

Shelly

• robin1962_2008
    12 years ago

Sign me up for MARCH please and I`d love to do both SEEDS AND PLANTS.We might could send bulbs in the winter months such as tulips daffs,lillies,hyacinths etc....

• sherrih
    12 years ago

Hi Grace, I am so excited about this RR. I was without my computer and I missed out on signing up for RR for June and July. So sign me up for this one PLS. Sign me up for Jan.
    Sherri

• Debra Andruska
    12 years ago

I love the round robin box idea..seeds, bulbs, possible 'Christmas cactus' pieces, jade cuttings, spider babies, African violet leaves, etc. Stuff that can stay in a box for a few trips. I've done several of these on other plant groups, and garden web with african violet leaves. The plant material can last for a few weeks. Seeds, bulbs travel really well. ;). If we do this type of birthday box- sign me up! And if we have a couple of birthdays each month- that would work too! The box would constantly be moving. Are we going to start this in January? If so- some might lose interest by then. It could possibly be started in august (just a thought) if we start it early I would love October! If we start it in January--then please sign me up in April! October is the last month I can have 'live' things shipped. April is usually safe to receive too... So either work for me. I'm getting excited about the swap!

Deb

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

If you go the true RR route, sign me up for September. That way I don't have to remember to do something each and every month.

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

I should have added, don't do the RR just on my account. I will not be unhappy if you choose your original path and I don't participate.
    Alana

• rosemctier
    12 years ago

hmmmm sounds like a lot of fun! do you have anyone one for march yet?

• celeegra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm so glad that there is interest in this! Thank you dear veterans for offering your words of wisdom!!

Sounds like making it a true Round Robin small box that flies to 2 people each month with seeds & small bulbs/etc will work most fairly for winter, fall, summer & spring babies.

I'll keep holding signups until we have all the months filled with at least 1 person each. 2 max so that each person has time to sit with the box, in case there are delays due to vacations, etc. Hopefully we can start in August. If it's slow going, maybe a couple of us can also pick a "half" birthday (for example, my real birthday is June, so my half birthday would be December). Or a "wish" birthday (I wish my birthday was in August, so that I could get the box quickly instead of waiting until next April.)

One more question that I have is - what do you think is a fair way to replace? Obviously if you take 5 packets of seeds & 3 bulbs, then you can replace with 5 packets of seeds & 3 other bulbs. But what if you only have seeds? So we think a 3-1 ratio is good? 3 seed packets for each bulb? 5?

Please let me know your thoughts on all of this.

Let me recap people who expressed interest:
    January - sherrih
    February
    March - robin1962-2008, rosemctier
    April - sred98, debbya
    May - earthlydelights
    June - celeegra
    July
    August
    September - poisondartfrog
    October - jlee160
    November
    December

Thanks! grace

• sherrih
    12 years ago

Hi Grace, I don't know what I was thinking when I posted JAN..It was late and I was tired. If we are suppose to put down OUR birthday month put me down for DEC. I am a lil confused about how this one works Thanks Sherri

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Grace...I would love to play! Sending a card(s) and seeds each month to the birthday babies or the round robin idea with seeds/bulbs is fine with me.

Put me down for February...tiz not my birthday month but no one has taken it.

Have great weekend!

Annie

• Debra Andruska
    12 years ago

I also love the idea of being able to participate twice (to help fill up the swap sooner) if we can do that, please put me down for October too. ;)
    The rule of taking out what you put in- sounds great with the exception of more seeds added for bulbs, etc. I already have a bunch of stuff I could add- I'm sooo ready! :)

Deb

• elliesfun
    12 years ago

I would love to sign up for March for Seeds RR. Let me know if March has been taken.

Ellie

• sred98
    12 years ago

I can also take another month, if needed. Just let me know, and later in te year is good for me. As long as it's not 1-2 months on either side of my April bday. Lol!

How would we get it started? I am a little "seed poor" right now. Lol!

Shelly

• celeegra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi everyone
    sounds like we have a true round robin on our hands.
    It will fly to 2 birthday babies each month,
    & carry seeds, bulbs, plant material that can be viable while traveling for a few weeks.
    Please look at the wish list of the next person (or 2) in line & add at least one thing that you think they will like for their birthday, put their name on it.

I'll keep updating as the months fill up. Once they are pretty full, I'll recap the rules, flight pattern, & get the box started.

Annie, March already has 2 people who have expressed interest. If the back out, you can be next in line. Or would you mind an early birthday in Feb?
    Shelly, I'll be happy to start the box. I'm going through my leftovers now as I'm already starting to collect fresh seeds off some spring bloomers - columbine, poppies, etc.
    Happy summer!
    Grace

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Grace,

I thought I signed up for Feb...Feb is great! Actually any month is cool with me!

Annie

• sred98
    12 years ago

Ok, so I won't add anything to the box until I get it for my bday in April? Ok! Are we going to keep a master list in there? Or put it on a birthday card to send to the next person?

Do we take 12 things out? Or as many as we can match? Also, should there be a limit on how many bulbs we take to exchange for seeds? I mean, if someone puts 10 bulbs in there, is it fair to put 30 packs of marigold seeds in for a replacement? I don't mean to be grouchy, I'm just trying to get clarification. I haven't don't a true RR in years, so just bear with me! Lol! In fact, we can pretend I've never done one, since it's been probably 4 or 5 years! ;-)

Anyway, this looks like a lot of fun and a good group of people!

• Debra Andruska
    12 years ago

I'm sure it would be ok to take whatever you want from the box, just replace it with comparable items. And add more seeds for each bulb taken (I think it was 3 packs of seed per bulb) and obviously, don't put in all marigolds, put in a nice variety of different types of seed. I'm really looking forward to this- and trading again.

Grace,
    If we are only allowed one month- could I please change mine to October instead of April? I have so many extra seeds that need a good home. ;)

Deb

• rosemctier
    12 years ago

should we send some stuff to you now grace so there's more in the box for the first people? or do we wait until our month? i've never done this kind of swap before.

to keep postage down, it would be cheaper to use a regional rate box. you can order them on the usps site. that box i just mailed you came out to what 8 bucks i think. it was the large regional rate box. the po guy didn't realize i had prepaid the postage (which you have to do online-the only problem with the regional boxes) and measured and weighed it and it would have been 15 bucks to mail regularly! i can't believe the difference in price and am only mailing in those now :) 7 bucks is a huge savings!! granted, the saving differ depending on the zone to which you are sending, but still! worth considering.

hope everyone is doing well :) how are your gardens coming along?

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

HI! I'm still a little unclear on what is happening here? Sorry, a little slow on the uptake sometimes :)

Are we sending the same box around and around but to only 2 people a month. And if we are sticking with a box why can't we use the Small flat rate priority boxes. They are only $4.95, will fit a couple of this and that's in it and a WHOLE bunch of seeds? And it would cost the same for everyone to ship.

OH yeah! Even though I have no idea what is going on I want to sign up and take August (My b-day month :0) )

So excited about this!! :)
    vina

• celeegra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry everyone, it's been a little crazy at work this week & the heat is getting the better of me. We have about 45 Italians with acouple Japanese & one Brit descending upon us this wed-fri, & I have the lucky job of doing the event planning, on top of the job they pay me to do. And I can't just skimp on the preparations because I actually like these people. :)

Annie, so sorry! You did sign up for feb & it's yours!

Ellie, march already has 2 players, so do you want to pick another month or do a "half" birthday in sept?

I can get the box started. No need to send anything to me unless you are burning to clean out your seed box. We can definitely do more than one month. I was also thinking small flat rate box, since it will fit & protect lots of seeds as well as anything bulky like bulbs, rhizomes, etc.

I just went to visit Lynne's daylily farm & went a little over my budget. Ah well. I guess it's not an addiction unless you have some binges, right?

So to recap:
    2) sign up by posting your birthday month, let me know if you prefer beginning or end of month, & email me your addy.
    3) If you see free slots, feel free to pick another month also.
    4) when you get the box, take as many as you like but replace with comparable items - rare seeds for rare seeds, common seeds for common. Bulbs/roots etc. for other bulb/root/starts that will travel well for a few weeks.
    5) keep your trade list updated so that we can see what you would like.
    6) look at the wish list of the next person & add a birthday card along with some things you think they will like
    7) Send via small priority box with DC, & post DC here so we can all track progress

please let me know if this sounds clear! I'll pack a flight pattern in the box.
    Any other questions, concerns, comments? Speak now.

I'll start a new thread with the rules & players once we're settled. Sound good?
    Grace :)

• Debra Andruska
    12 years ago

Everything sounds really good to me! Put me down for October too. ;)
    I'm really excited! I'll update my page with in a week- it hasn't been updated in awhile..

Deb

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Good morning! Just checking the list...can I sign up for February with Annie too?

I'd love August and February pretty please :)

vina

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

Looks like this is a go! My birthday is 9/30, so I think I would like the end of September swap.
    I think this will be a fun one!
    Alana

• sherrih
    12 years ago

Hey Grace you can put me down for Dec too no one has taken and that's my B-Day month. I will also do a 1/2 month in Jan if someone wants the other half. Since I am already down for that month anyway..
    Sherri

• elliesfun
    12 years ago

Good morning Grace,
    Yes, I would love to do a half birthday for September. Put me down. Thanks!

Ellie

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Grace,

Besides February, I will also take May (if that works). If May is already taken x 2, I can take another month that is open. I will email you my address.

Thanks much!

Annie

• celeegra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    I'm so glad that everyone's excited! I'm starting a new thread to recap. There are many open slots left, so please feel free to double up if you haven't already!
    Thanks,
    Grace

2) sign up by posting your birthday month, let me know if you prefer beginning or end of month, & email me your addy.
    3) If you see free slots, feel free to pick another month also.
    4) when you get the box, take as many as you like but replace with comparable items - rare seeds for rare seeds, common seeds for common. Bulbs/roots etc. for other bulb/root/starts that will travel well for a few weeks.
    5) keep your trade list updated so that we can see what you would like.
    6) look at the wish list of the next person & add a birthday card along with some things you think they will like
    7) Send via small priority box with DC, & post DC here so we can all track progress

January -
    February - canyonwind, flowergirl34
    March - robin1962-2008, rosemctier
    April - sred98, debbya
    May - earthlydelights, canyonwind
    June - celeegra
    July
    August - flowergirl34, farmergirl2009
    September - poisondartfrog
    October - jlee160, debbya
    November
    December - sherrih

• pdsavage
    12 years ago

I hope this is still going to happen,would love to get seeds in the middle of winter.I will proubley have a breakdown when I can't chose...This will be my first round robin to chicken to try any others and the book one sounds fun but its hard to give up my cook books and gardening books...
    Anyway if this is still going on when does it start?

• rosemctier
    12 years ago

hey pdsavage, be sure to look out for the christmas card exchange! it was awesome! really helped the winter blues. there's a lot going on on gw even when you soon't expect it lol

• mavis07
    12 years ago

I've been lurking but would like to sign up for at least one month! It looked like November and July were empty. I'll take either, or both! Just sign me up in a blank spot.

Fun! Fun! Fun!

Mavis

• sherrih
    12 years ago

Hi Grace, you can put me down for 1/2 month in june or july...Thanks Sherri

• mavis07
    12 years ago

It looks like I signed up on the wrong thread! I will continue to lurk and enjoy the travels of this true round robin!