Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hazelnutbunny

UPDATE: Adopt a Newbie Seed exchange #2

hazelnutbunny
16 years ago

Today (July 20) is the deadline for the swap, so there will be NO MORE SIGN UPS! Most everyone has sent their stamps or seeds. (only 5 newbies on my list have not sent stamps)

Newbies: If I don't receive your stamps before the mailing date, you will not get your seeds. Please make sure that they get out!

I have the envelopes ready for those who have sent stamps...we're just waiting on all the seeds to arrive. I should have everything mailed out by August 1st, at the latest.

Comments (56)

• italysmom
    16 years ago

I want to thank the oldies also... i never expected to recieve that many things.. and wow.. its like christmas... i will be so excited to open my present and see what I get... I bet everything is going to be so great... this group of people on this trading forum has made me feel so welcome, I am a fairly shy person.. but you dont feel even slightly unwanted here. you all are a GREAT group of people. I also expecially want to thank Melissa you have put so much work into this. Tammy

• sar710
    16 years ago

I just have to say "WOW!" Thanks to all the oldies (but goodies!)!!! 42 packets of seeds!!! You guys are amazing! I can't wait for the seeds to get here, it'll be like christmas!

And Melissa -- Thank you so much for organizing this, and taking the time to help all of us newbies out!

Sarah :)

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I received stamps today from:
    happy gardener181
    cottageflowers

Thanks!!

I also received some GREAT seeds today from:
    Debbya
    kilngod

Thank you so much, girls!! I'll have an updated seed count for everyone later.

Melissa

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, as of today, we have a total of 973 packs of seeds! YAY!
    Pretty Awesome, right guys??? :O)

I have received everyone's stamps, I believe. I have not heard anything from these Newbies:
    Bigfoot839
    rmbaldez
    MaryAnn & Shoan: If you still want to participate, you will need to email me and let me know. Otherwise, I will assume you aren't playing.

I think I've received everyone's seeds so far? If I haven't thanked you on the forum, then I haven't received your seeds. Please let me know if there is anyone I've missed!

Thanks!! :O)

Melissa

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

OH MY GOODNESS!!! Thats alot of seeds!!! Thanks to all the oldies for giving. I am soo excited. Ya'll are all sooo wonderful for doing this for us newbies! Gardens will be grand! Thanks Melissa for all the time you have spent in organizing this.

Thanks
    Trina (pixiesluvplants)

• missys23
    16 years ago

OH wow, this is so exciting! I can't wait and I can't believe how many seeds. Thank you Melissa for organizing and all you wonderful oldies for being so generous.

• proudgm_03
    16 years ago

Thank you Melissa for all your hard work in doing this newbie trade. And thank you to all the "oldies". This just proves that this is the best garden forum ever. Everyone has been so helpful, so kind, and so patient. I couldn't ask for a better bunch of people to help me with my gardening undertaking. I look forward to next year when I'll be able to share my garden with the "newbies". I think that's what gardening is all about. Sharing your garden with others, through sight, scent, or part of the actual garden. You people are wonderful!

• thegardengeeks
    16 years ago

Just wanted to say a big thank you!! Got my seeds today!! 4 packs of seeds!! Shastas-Gerbera-Gazania-and Painted!! All Daisy or like them and I love them all!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Distantkin- Who did you receive seeds from?
    I haven't sent any out yet, so you still have ALOT coming!! :O)

• letha1971
    16 years ago

WOW!! When I signed up I never dreamed there would be so many packets. Not long ago I was worried that it would take forever for me to fill my new beds.Not anymore.Thanks to every oldie that pitched in and certainly a thank you for HNB for hosting such a wonderful exchange.Again many thanks,Letha1971

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I received stamps today from SMH78. Thanks Sarah! :O)

• stormy8888
    16 years ago

hi veryone , i am a newbie , just joined today !! and i have been reading some really intresting stuff, i think i will like it here , but unfortunatly i have very few seeds ,i would love to recieve some and share , i have a handful of sunflowers & some lavender seeds maybe 3 packets of 25-50 seeds to swap , if that helps , i put all my hard work into a garden this year, just waiting for some goodies to come up !!!!
    and i love tips and helpful hints for i love to garden & i am a crafter ....bearbeard@comcast.net

• thegardengeeks
    16 years ago

LOL-so sorry-the envelope does not have a return addy on it!! This is wonderful!! :o) More seeds!! Yiipppeeeeee!!!!

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Welcome, Stormy! Glad to have you on GW!
    Unfortunately, this swap is coming to a close. But there are other great options for you on the seed exchange!
    Hope to see you around!
    Melissa

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi All!
    I received stamps today from rmbaldez. Thanks MaryAnn! :O)

I have everyone's envelopes ready to go. I am waiting on seeds from one other person, and as soon as I get those, I'll have these babies in the mail!!

I tried to give everyone a good mix, there will be some multiples, but hopefully, not many. :O)

Melissa

• chopperthedog
    16 years ago

WOW!!! This is GREAT!!! Just a month ago I had almost nothing to plant in my drab yard, and now, WOW!!! Next spring I want to have a garden that is the envy of the neighborhood.

Thanks to all the oldies for being so generous with your seeds, and especially thanks to HNB for running this exchange. This was a great idea.

Three cheers for Melissa: Hip-Hip Hooray!

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Great job of putting this together Bunny.
    It was very generous of you to give your time and share your great organizational skills.
    Nice work!
    Alana

• diene
    16 years ago

I am echoing everyone's accolades. You did a great thing taking this on. I am in awe of you. I would never do this. Pat yourself in the back. Good job. diene

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Aw, guys...Thanks!
    But really, I'm not doing much. Honestly, it's all the generous "oldies" that need the accolades. I cannot believe the awesome support for this swap!
    It turned out so much better (and bigger!) than I ever expected!
    Thank you to EVERYONE!!!
    Melissa

• kilngod
    16 years ago

I hope we hit 1000 seed packs! (hee hee hee) This has been a great adopt.

Melissa, I took full advantage of your assistance with this seed dispersal. What a great system. The way I saw it, instead of doing the all the labor for little bits of giveaways, I could use all that time to package WAY more seeds to donate.

Like a little assembly line. A virtual "seed gifting" factory :) Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to work we go!

Glad to be of service to you Newbies! Welcome to the trading club, we hope you'll stay :)
    --Tina

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I mailed out about 1/3 of the newbie envelopes this morning. I'm doing this in parts, so that my poor mailman isn't overwhelmed. :O) And it makes it easier for me to keep track of. (I know, but my organizational skills make sense to me!)
    So I will mail out about 7 more envelopes tomorrow, and the same on Monday.

IMPORTANT: If you are a NEWBIE, and I haven't received your stamps by today, I cannot mail you any seeds. Sorry, but I have to be fair to everyone...especially those who were kind enough to be prompt in fullfilling their end of the swap.
    So any stamps I receive for this swap after today will be sent back.

Thanks again for all the support, guys!!! :O) I REALLY appreciate it!! :O)

• kristlindgren
    16 years ago

Would it be helpful to you if us newbies that are recieving the packages, to post when we get them?

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If you'd like to, that would be great! Just a quick "I got it today, thanks!" would work. There will be way too many seeds in each envie for everyone to list what they got, so you don't have to do that.

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Melissa you have done an awesome job. Thank you and THANKS to everyone that sent seeds for us Newbies!!!

Smiles,
    Pixie

• yellowseashell
    16 years ago

What else can one say but thanks to all for doing this wonderful thing. Half the fun my whole life of gardening has been sharing and it's just great to find a place where so many like minds hang out.

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Ditto Yellowseashel!!! very well put

Smiles
    Pixie

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The last envelopes of seeds were mailed out today, so everyone should be receiving them this week.
    Everyone will receive 35+ seed packs in their envelopes. There were an uneven number of seeds, so after equally distributing them, the ones left over were randomly placed in envelopes. So, that being said, there will be a few lucky newbies who received an extra packet or 2 of seeds. :O)

Remember- Newbies: if I didn't thank you on the forum, I didn't receive your stamps. But I believe everyone sent theirs in. :O)

Thanks again for all who have helped out with this swap!!:O)

• missys23
    16 years ago

I got mine today!!!!! Yipeeeee! I'm so excited! I got an amazing selection and I can't wait to start planting. Thank you again to Melissa and all you oldies who were so generous. I hope to become a regular member of this forum and be able to help others like you have done for me.

Thank you SO much! :)

• justintn_z7
    16 years ago

Got mine today as well, nice selection with about 3 duplicates, and they are all going to be planted! Not going to waste them heh

• yellowseashell
    16 years ago

Oh my, what a lovely bunch of seeds. At 68 there is no way I can use them all but between me and my friends they will all be used and the flowers much appreciated and see by most of us. Thank's more than you will ever know.

• cottageflowers
    16 years ago

Hello everyone. Just wanted to let you know I recieved my seeds today. Yippeeee! I can't tell you how thrilled I am. Christmas has arrived!!! I wanted to let all the "oldies" who donated their seeds know that I truly appreciate their generosity. Also to hazelnutbunny a sincere thanks for planning and organizing this seed exchange. GW is so successful because of people like you. Thanks again. I hope that I can be as generous as all of you. Gardeners are the best!!!!!!

• kandaceshirley
    16 years ago

got back from a family reunion and my seeds were waiting - what a wonderful way to end a great weekend! thank you to all the oldies and melissa for putting this together

• headeranderson
    16 years ago

Wow, Santa showed up in my mail box today and I didn't even leave him cookies!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their generosity. I have spent the last hour (not doing research) looking up plant pictures to figure out what everything is. Now i just need to figure out how to make spring come TOMORROW!

Heather

• justintn_z7
    16 years ago

Of I forgot to thank all the oldies and especially hazelnutbunney! Thanks a ton y'all

• italysmom
    16 years ago

I got mine today as well.... THANKS so much!!! I have a huge area that I am going to be planting in.. and this will help SOOOO much.... Thanks..Tammy

• letha1971
    16 years ago

Hey, Got my seeds this morning.Great mix.I am soooo greatful to HNB and all the oldies for doing this.I can't say thank you enough. Letha

• kristlindgren
    16 years ago

Hey I got this very nice package in the mail today!! Thank you to everyone for doing this!

• aggscott
    16 years ago

I got my package today and I just have to say-thanks everyone! It is a wonderful bunch of seeds that I am going to have a lot of fun with! I can not wait until next year already so I can plant these. A few I had to look up on the internet so that I could see what they looked like, but for the most part I knew most.
    Thanks HNB for your hard work and sending these out-

Aggie

• chopperthedog
    16 years ago

I got my seeds today, and what a great selection. My yard is going to look fantastic next year.

Thanks to all the oldies, and especially thanks to HNB, I will definitely try to get involved with any group exchanges she hosts in the future.

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for letting us know you've received your seeds, guys!! I appreciate the feedback!! :O)

I think this is definitely a swap we'll do again in the future. I've had a lot of fun!

• diene
    16 years ago

I would like to encourage all the newbies to post when they receive their seeds. HNB has spent a tremendous amount of time and energy and a "thank you" feels great. I am glad this was such a success and I would encourage all the newbies to remember this for the future. The old gardening adage of you "reaping what you sow" comes to mind. Have a great day everyone. diene

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

OMGOODNESS!!! Thank ya'll SOOO VERY MUCH!!!! My garden is going to be soooo beautiful!!! All of you oldies went to alot of work packaging those seeds for us newbies and Melissa you did sooo good sweetie. I got my seeds to day and OMG I bout fell over at all of them!!! Thank you all so much. I am taking off work and gonna plant some for fall thats forsure (here we have very mild winters so I may just have a garden year round eh??? I LOVE YA"LL!!!

Thank you again,
    Trina (pixie)

• kilngod
    16 years ago

Hey Newbies!

Enjoy your seeds! Here are some great links to help you with them (and every other seed you ever have):

Super germination info for most kinds of seeds:

http://www.backyardgardener.com/tm.html

http://www.theseedsite.co.uk/

http://tomclothier.hort.net/

To find the latin name of a plant (which you need for the above links)...or other "kinds" of that plant..and lots of "user" info on growing it:

http://davesgarden.com/pf/adv_search.php

And our fabulous Wintersowing forum - a seed starting method that saves a LOT of time, effort, and grows stronger plants:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/wtrsow/

Have fun!!
    -Tina

• proudgm_03
    16 years ago

HNB Received my seeds today. Thank you so much! Wow! What can I say?!? Thank you for taking the time to put in all the hours necessary to pull such a thing off. Thank you for caring enough to do it in the first place. It took me forever to log them all in my garden spreedsheet. (Yeah, well I'm only anal about some things, not all.) LOL! So many wonderful flowers, vegetables, bushes, vines, etc. to plant. I will be one busy beaver this winter.

"Oldies" Thank you so much for thinking about us Newbies and sharing the fruits of your labor. Having started harvesting seeds for the first time this year I realize how much time and effort you put into it. Thanks so much.

Once again, a great big THANK YOU to all of you. It is really and truly greatly appreciated from the bottom of my heart.

Becky

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Tina, Thank you for those sites, I know they will be helpful! Thank you all again sooo much!

Pixie (Trina)

• thegardengeeks
    16 years ago

I almost fainted today when I opened the envelope!! All I can say is WOW!! My kids thought I was crazy when I opened it and turned it upside down-I was doing a happy dance all around the house!!

Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU!!

I love each and every packet! You guys are the greatest!!
    Distantkin-aka Robbi

• happy_gardener181
    16 years ago

Yeheyyy!!! I got the seeds today. Thank you so much to all the oldies and especially Hazelnut for organizing this seed exchange. Our yard will gonna look so awesome next year with all this great selection of seeds.. i got a lot of perennials which i really want. I really appreciate all the effort and hopefully next time i can return the favor when i am one of the oldies too :)

God bless
    -Bel-

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tina-
    Thanks for putting up those sites! That helped me out quite a bit, too!!! :O)

~~Hope everyone is enjoying their seeds!! :O)
    Have fun!

Melissa

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Just wanted to let everyone know that I planted some seeds yesterday and today, only those that I know will bloom before January/Feburary, usually when we have our winter which is mildly cold and mostly rainy. I can't wait til lil seedlings emerge!!! I am soo excited and sooo thankful. I will be posting pictures and want to just let all of you know how appreciative I am of all this love you have shown us newbies!!
    Pixie

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

WHOOOHOOO the red cypress vine seeds that I planted have sprouts WHOOHOOO I planted them up against some lattice that we have in s S. corner and they love it there whoohoo!