Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lakedallasmary

Anyone interested in a veggie only round robin?

lakedallasmary
16 years ago

I was thinking a veggie only round robin. Or maybe I should call it a edible only robin? Anyone like that idea? I am a bit freaked about this though. I have never done this before and would be afraid to not do it right.

Please do not sign up here for this robin now. I just want advice on how I would like to do things. If you have opinions on the following ideas, please post here so everyone can see. If anyone is interested in this robin, I will post a robin in another post.

I don't have a lot of seeds that I could not start out the box with. I guess folks could send seeds to me to start the box with but that could get confusing.

If you sent 10 packs of seeds you could remove 10 packs when the box got to you, but if you did not see ten you liked then what? Also would you remember how many you stuck in? I suppose, I could keep track and enclose a list of how may seeds you stuck in.

Also, I would hate to a have a bunch of rules, but I was concerned if I did not set some sort of limit to how old the seeds were some would send ancient seeds that wore stored in poor conditions, such as a damp basement.

I was thinking maybe we could have freebee seeds. If you had seeds that were on the old side (older than listed in the viability list in the below link), then we could put those all in one large baggie marked freebee seeds. If you put seeds in there they would not count toward the number of seeds you could take out of the box. For example: you put 6 fresher seed packs in the box, and 2 packs of older seeds in the freebie envelope. You could take 6 packs out of the main box and what ever ones you want out of the free baggie, within reason. Some won't want any old seeds so this should work out.

Here is a link on how long seeds last seed viability

Also, if you had a small number of seeds like less than 10-25, you could also stick them in the freebee baggie.

If your seeds look horrible like if they have evidence of been weevils please do not include them. These are bean seeds that are shriveled up and have tiny dark spots where the been weevil entered or exited. If your squash seeds are completely flat, there is no embryo, so they aren't good, don't include those. Completely flat sunflower seeds are not good either. If you aren't sure what I am talking about, crack open a flat sunflower or squash seed. I check this without opening the seed by pressing on the seed with my fingers. If I feel my finger on the other side, the seed is just a shell. This is only for sunflowers, squash, pumpkins, melons and cucumbers.

You would be allowed to send your own garden seeds, left over commercial packs, unopened commercial packs or traded seeds.

I would like for the seeds to be as well labeled as possible

such info could include

variety and type - such as lemon cucumber not just cucumber

number of seeds for larger seeds

small seeds - list 1/4 teaspoon or whatever.

source of seeds

year harvested or purchased

your gardenweb id

optional info could include

days to maturity

growing description of plant (ex: 10' foot vine)

The robin would be limited to edibles, like vegetables, fruit like melon that are ordinarily grown from seeds, herbs and sunflowers. And things like passion flower since it has edible fruit. Gourd and luffas are also allowed even though they are not eaten. You may also include grains such as rice, wheat, millet, etc.

The other question is when the box comes back to me, what happens to any left over seeds?

I would like to give folks time to harvest their fall crops before starting this robin. But I guess I could accept seeds to start out the box at anytime before the robin is sent out on its flight.

OK, one more question: I would assume that I would come up with a list on the order of address the box will visit. So you would just send the box to the next person down. Is that right.

I guess I could print of the list of rules to put in the box?

Any one have help to offer, let me know by posting here. I may chicken out though.

I am severely chemically sensitive so I would also be concerned about scented items. No one could stick anything in the box that was scented. Candles - scented or not, perfumes, cleaning chemicals, scented personal care products, even flowers make me ill. My legs get weak usually, sometimes I just get confused. It affects my brain processes. Is it too much to ask nothing of that nature be put in the box? I hate to be a stick in the mud, but I have to protect myself. I can only wear 100% cotton. I know seeds aren't scented I just have to be sure that nothing thing weird ends up in the box. How do I put that? I guess I was concerned, since sometimes folks like to put little extras in the box to trade or for the robin host.

Comments (10)

• Michelle Reynolds
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

hello
    I would be interested in a veggie swap (everyone sends seeds to you and you sort and return everyone diffrent seeds) I have had bad experienses with round robins.
    their can be tons of problems with RR (getting lost, someone not passing it on, someone taking all the good seeds and putting in junk seeds or no seeds) and the gifts can end up costing more than they are worth.

if you wanted to make it a swap I would deffenantly be in.
    michelle

• jackier123
    16 years ago

I agree with Michelle. Round Robins are only good for the first few people to receive the box, after that, most of the good seeds are gone.

Jackie

• lakedallasmary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well that is a bummer. Round robins sound like fun, too bad it does not work out.

Mary

• boballi
    16 years ago

Hi Mary!

I would probably be interested in either one.

• lakedallasmary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was looking forward to a round robin. But with all the problems that michelle brought up, I think a swap would be better.

But a swap would be more work and more confusing for me to do. So if anyone wants to do one, I think they should host it. I just don't have the energy for one. I have been so tired lately.

sorry for passing on this.

Mary

• hermitonthehill
    16 years ago

Something to consider.... would be following along the lines of a current RR that is thread/titled White Elephant Swap... if done that way, it might be of more interest with less risk ... check it out? I like the way it is being done - varies from straight out trading one-on-one (removes having to search the DB for who has what seeds) and could still very much stay on target with being edibles only. It also has the advantage of not having to have seeds go from one person to another PHYSICALLY and being exposed to temperature variations, etc. (that can have an impact on viability of even the longest lasting seeds) - and folks would at least know what they are getting. Also cuts down the cost of postage - rather than a sizeable box, could just be padded envelopes that get sent out or PM flat-rate envelopes (with padding inside) and delivery confirmation, etc.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Hi, I have an idea for you. Please disregard if you think it would not be viable. Why don't you have a White Elephant Swap like vela. She is doing one that would requiring stealing. The stealing all occurs online. Everyone posts a list of the seeds they will put in the box they are putting up for the swap. Then everyone takes a turn picking a box or stealing the box of another person who has already chosen one, and so on. That way no one would send a large box of seeds to be picked over and the last person receiving only the dregs of what is left. Vela's Round Robin has good directions in it and it looks like a lot of fun. I haven't joined because I have traded enough this year. Take a peak and see what you all think.

Tracy

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

woops, hermit, I think I was typing as you were posting! LOL! Great minds, huh?

• hermitonthehill
    16 years ago

"Yeppers-peppers" as one of my twins would say TracyVine :) The White Elephant I think is going to turn out well with the way it is done. You can still join it up until 9 PM tonight - even though you've traded "enough" this year, maybe think about it since it isn't limited to plants or seeds or even necessarily garden-only stuff?

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Howdy, hermit! That is funny! Maybe I will join in the next one. I have spent enough on shipping lately to choke a horse! LOL! It really does look like a ton of fun. I hope the theme keeps running and maybe there will be a September swap! Have a bunch of fun!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH