Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaruzicka

new: seeds-n-stitches lazy days of august

lindaruzicka
12 years ago

Hello All,

Here it is, the dogs days of summer. I thought I would make this swap short and simple. August is the month of harvesting veggies and saving seeds and watering gardens, not much time for anything else. SOOOOOOO....here's what we'll do:

1. We're going to swap charms..you can have up to three partners, 10 charms per partner

2. The charms have to be garden themed, (flowers, vines, garden tools, leaves etc)and can be any color

3. You have to send each partner a copy of your favorite quilt pattern and tell them why it's your favorite

4. One pack of seeds at least..something you know they have on their list or something you think they would enjoy growing.

5. You have to be a member of good standing in the garden Web community

Dates to remember:

mail date is by August 12th..not a long time between sign ups and mail dates because it's an easy swap.

what do you think, simple enough?...C'mon and sign up

"pouring iced lemonade and passing around a plate of lemon bar cookies"

Comments (63)

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

*drool*
    Oooooh, cinnamon rolls! Yummmmmmmmm!
    I'll take one.
    Um...did you make any for the others?? LoL!

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

what're we up to here in Michigan. heat. heat. heat. and I wouldn't trade it for any amount of snowflakes, nosirree! and it's supposed to be hotter wednesday and thursday. fortunately, I have air-contioning and fans, which make this heat wave much easier to deal with.
    I've got Friday thru Monday off from work to get two rooms painted, new gutter pipes installed, and I wanted to tar the roof to re-seal it in case of any leaks. I'm going to byuy the tar, but I doubt that's gonna get done during this heat. we'll see about the other projects.
    borders bookstore is now going out of business, and we have a store here in town. so, you know I have to go there this coming weekend and see if the sales have started, right?
    other than that, it's all about continuing to enjoy the summer.
    ttyl!
    dan

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

Awesomeness, Dan! Hope you can snag some great deals this weekend...LOVE shopping at the bookstores, 'specially when they're having a sale. :D

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

Kinda OT...but ever since Dan mentioned eating cherries a few days ago, I have had the WORST craving for them! I love cherries...Yumm! Especially with some vanilla ice cream.... OMGoodness!

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

Linda,
    Sign me up for 3, please.
    Melissa, what are the ages of your children? You are so lucky! I have 6 brothers and it seemed as if my parents always had a baby in the house. Me??? It took me 14 years to have 2 children. I guess a large family was not in the works for me. Now I have 7 grandsons.
    Dan, It is hot, but I love it. Today we were engulfed in fog until 2 in the afternoon.
    Night all
    Sharon

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

Sharon~ The boys are nearly 15, 12 & 10. The girls are 7, 5, 2 & 1. We weren't necessarily planning to have a large family, we just decided to let God have control after we had #5. Before that, we had thought we were finished! But, I only have 2 brothers, and always said that if I had a girl, she would NOT be an only daughter, if I could help it. I HATED that! :) So after we had #4 (our first girl), I wanted to have another so she'd have a sister. Now she has 3...LoL! But at least she won't be alone!

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now Bunny, THAT is a cinnamon bun!!
    here's the update so far:

Linda (lindaruzicka): 3
    Melissa (hazelnutbunny): 3
    Dan (dan_the_mailman): 3
    Sharon (gmom): 3
    Bev (bev2009): 3

I'm getting my grandbaby overnight tonight. It's my daughter's 21 birthday and she's going to Altoona to hang out with her older brothers. At least I know she'll be in good hands!

• bev2009
    12 years ago

I'm one of seven children, so I know what it's like in a big family. I have four grown children myself. None are married so everyone still hangs together. I'm sure if they were married, things would change, but for now it seems like they are all at our home all the time.

Today I got out and did a couple of hours of gardening before it got too hot. Picked beans, peas and zucchini.

I plan on running some errands and doing some sewing. Still working on my Asian inspired wall hanging. I noticed yesterday that I had several blocks where some of the pieces were "short". Will have to rip and replace. I'm not sure how that happened but I think those were the blocks I did right after my mom passed away and I wasn't all there.

Everyone stay cool and safe. Let's all post the high temperature we reach today!

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

we are going to be reaching 93 but it has a "feel like" temp of 106!..in PA..can't believe it! My house is set on 68 degrees, with Jeff's asthma it's a good temp for him.

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

IT IS 84 DEGREE AT 3:30 PM IN NORTH EASTERN MICHIGAN.

GMOM

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

105 in Traverse City Michigan at 5pm

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

That's what we've got here, Dan! Are you sure that's not a typo?? That is HOT for that far north! Wow, We're cookin!!!

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Hi I have a lot going on familywise this month and next month, so hopefully things will slow down and I should be able to participate in September's Swap. It is hot, hot, hot hear! Ya'll have fun! Can't wait for fall!!!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• bev2009
    12 years ago

High today of 100.4 I was out and about all day and I think the humidity dropped because I didn't think it was too bad, and I can't take heat and humidity. My plants looked wilted by the end of the day, so I'll be out first thing in the morning to water.

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

I wish that 105 had been a typo, but it wasn't. Today was another hot one, and tommorow looks to be the same. Glad I'm going to be indoors for the next few days!

I went to home depot and menard's today, and bagged 3 new coneflowers and 7 different colors of daylilies for just $55! There outside soaking in the wheelbarrow until I plant them in a few days when the temps go down a bit.

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

I know, Dan! I watched the weather on the national news tonight, and the only "cool" spot in the country is the FAR west coast, and they have upper 70's, low 80's! I saw one place in MI that was at 113!! Holy Hot Cakes, Batman! Eeeeek!
    Our grass is so dry & sharp, Lili cut her feet walking barefoot today. On GRASS! Gee Whiz! We have only had 1" of rain in the past 2 months, so everything is extra crispy, and we've had a few wildfires (thankfully nothing serious!). Everyone says this is the hottest & driest it's been for at least 30 years. And all this after flooding in April. CRAZY!!

I think the weather fairy done got her thermostat stuck on FRY.
    :O

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

here's our line up so far:

Linda (lindaruzicka): 3
    Melissa (hazelnutbunny): 3
    Dan (dan_the_mailman): 3
    Sharon (gmom): 3
    Bev (bev2009): 3

sign'ups are till the 30th..so you lurkers still have a few days!

"making homemade lemonade and sugar cookies to pass around"

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    What's everybody up to these days? I just had breakfast for 9 people. It was real good with lots of leftovers. That's the best part of having company. I don't need to cook for several meals.

Does any of you have brocolli seed to trade? I want to get things going for fall and I can't find any in town. I checked the stores, co op, and grainery. No seed to be had.

My Walmart is bring back the bolted material. They already started setting it up.

I'm ready for our trade as soon as we find our partners.

Have a good day.
    gmom

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good morning everyone, I'll be assigning partners later on today..sooo..if anyone still wants to sign up, you have a little bit of time left.

What's everyone up to today? I'm going to be reorganizing my craft room since I can't do much lifting because of the inflamed chest muscle I have. Guess that gives me a good excuse to goof off, huh?..LOL!

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's the partner postings:

Linda: sends to Bev, dan, Melissa
    Melissa: sends to Sharon, Bev, Linda
    Dan: sends to Sharon, Linda, Melissa
    Sharon: sends to Bev, Dan, Linda
    Bev: sends to Sharon, dan, Melissa

Remember: The charms have to be garden themed, (flowers, vines, garden tools, leaves etc)and can be any color.
    You have to send each partner a copy of your favorite quilt pattern and tell them why it's your favorite.
    One pack of seeds at least..something you know they have on their list or something you think they would enjoy growing.

Mail date is by August 12th!

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

Ok, I'm NOT going nuts! Yay! I KNEW I saw a post where someone wanted some brocolli seeds, I just had my threads mixed up! Ha!! :)
    Sharon~ I have a new package that I bought a month ago, so I'll tuck them in with your charms, if you still need them.

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Yay!!!!! We've got partners!!! Awesome!!! This'll be the perfect excuse for me to spend some time at my sewing desk tomorrow, which I've been wanting to do for a few days.

• bev2009
    12 years ago

I hope you were able to have your breakfast in the garden, Sharon! I love doing Breakfast in the Garden for my friends (and going to theirs).

Our trip to Nashville was great. Hit two quilt stores and got lots of nice prints...yeah, bought more than I needed, but what did you expect. The two shops couldn't have been more different. The first shop had a million bolts of fabric on shelves and on the floor leaning against the shelves and notions, patterns everywhere. It would have taken hours and hours to look at all the prints. The other store was neat as a pin and had plenty of room to browse. The only print I saw that I already had was the orange that I sent you, Linda, and you used for my water bottle holder. LOL I look forward to cutting them up tomorrow and getting them off ASAP.

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

Bunny, Yes I do still need Broccoli seed. I don't need a whole pack. If you bought it for you to plant, just send me some seed. I like the fall brocolli much better than spring. And I don't have to contend with the worms and the broccoli will keep producing until freeze.
    I have addys for all 3 of my partners. I know Dan and Linda have mine but I'm not sure about Bev.
    Bev, we didn't get to have breakfast in the garden, but as soon as we finished eating and looking at my quilts we were in the garden.
    Glad to have partners and mine will go out soon.
    It's time for bed. I have an eye doctor appt. in the morning.
    Nite All!
    gmom

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

Ok...I'm going to confess something. Ihaven'tputBev's&Sharon'saddressesinmybookyet. (whew, I feel better!) I keep forgetting! So I'll need your addys, please. I'll have your charms out on Friday.

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm glad to see everyone moving along! Don't forget to include your favorite quilt pattern and why you like it! I'm always curious about things like that....Coffee cake anyone?.."setting out cups for tea and coffee"

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Melissa, I sent you an email with my address! I'm busy compiling address (which I have for everyone), cutting fabric, looking up seeds and addressing envelopes. If all goes according to plan, this will go out in the a.m. I'll be on time! WOO HOO!!

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Bye, bye squares. Hope everyone likes them. And I'm on time! Time for that coffee cake and tea:)

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

This is just plain silly! I've been trying for days now to get my squares cut and my quilt pattern printed, and it just hasn't happened yet! Well, tonight's the night!!! I've got all my facebook games fixed so they don't need my attention for at least 2 days, and I'll be looking for a way to relax after what's going to be a long day sorting the mail.

The good news? Bev has come up with a terrific idea for the September and October swaps, and she's letting me help! Want to know what her idea is? Lol,then stay tuned!!!
    (Bev, how's that for a teaser?)

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

Well, my get-up-and-go hasn't even lifted it's little head yet. I am being sooooo lazy this week. I've gotta stop by Hobby Lobby to pick up a few new FQ's so I can cut some charms....and I just haven't wanted to get out in this heat. (it was 108 yesterday! With the humidity, it was 115!) And I am just worn out....this heat just makes the morning sickness even worse. UGH.
    And that's enough excuses. :) Promise I'll get my hiney in gear before the weekend.

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Okay, I've got 3 envelopes with charms and quilt patterns sealed and ready to be mailed once I get to work in the morning...yayyyy for me!
    Dan

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm working on mine tomorrow!

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

I received charms from Bev today! She sent a lovely selection. She also included 2 packs of seeds (both pink flowers!) and a charm quilt pattern. I'm with Bev on this one....I don't think I can collect 1,624 different fabrics, either! LoL! But it's a neat pattern & I love the scrappy-ness of it. I'll probably do this one at some point...just with duplicate fabrics. :)

AND...I mailed my charms off today! Yay! BUT. I forgot to include a quilt pattern! D'OH! I thought I was doing so well, too, getting them out so quickly. Oy Vey. I should never rush when I"m feeling this tired! :P

So if it's OK, Miss Linda...I'll post my favorite quilt pattern here.
    It's 3D PINWHEELScolor>. This one is so incredibly simple & so fun! I've made several baby quilts for friends using this pattern. (I may have to actually make one for one of my babies sometime! lol!)

The last 3d pinwheel quilt I made was for my nephew. I used a dark blue with stars for the background color (a night time print, not patriotic stars) and used a white, glow-in-the-dark fabric for the pinwheels. It looked awesome!
    I've also used pink butterfly prints & solid pastels for a girl.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3-D PINWHEEL QUILT

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

I received my charms and charm quilt quilt pattern from Bev today too! Bev, how did you know I've been wishing I'd planted nasturtiums this year? Obviously, you're psychic...lol! Thank you! The fact that your charms came from your Nashville trip make them even better! I feel like I was a wee part of your trip...lol!
    Like Melissa, I'm going to use duplicate fabrics when I make this quilt, but for a different reason. According to one legend associated with the charm quilt (according to the directions), there are supposed to be exactly 1000 different fabrics used in a charm quilt. Apparently, when a maiden had collected exactly 999, the man she was supposed to marry would appear, bearing the 1000th fabric. I'm certainly no maiden, lol, but I'm not taking any chances of a very confused guy showing up with more fabric for me! Nope! I think I'll stop at around 500 or so, and just have a good day!

Thanks for everything Bev, the note, the directions, the charms, and the chuckles!

Now I'm going to go check out that 3D pinwheel quilt of Melissa's!

Dan

p.s. I may not be online tomorrow. If I am, it'll be pretty late. We're going to go check out the Viet Nam Moving Memorial Wall once I get off from work. It's located this week-end in Cadillac, which is about an hour away from here. I don't know of any relatives who're on the wall, but it should be interesting anyway.

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

I've always wanted to see that, Dan! My uncle is on there somewhere, and I have always wanted to get a rubbing & picture for my daddy (it's his brother).

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Melissa and Dan, I'm glad you liked your packages. No I'm not psychic, I just checked out your seed page! Dan, I read your post late last night and started LOL. Afraid I'd wake the family.

I haven't had a chance to work any further on Sept trade, but I will this week. My niece and her husband are coming from Nebraska for lunch tomorrow, before they move to Bulgaria to live. Last minute trip. I'm assuming lots of family will be showing up here, so I have to get out of the garden and into the house to clean. However, we had some rain so the weeds are pulling up so easily. I'm just on water break right now.

I don't think I could go to the Vietnam memorial. I think I would just ball my eyes out and I didn't even lose anyone there. I had a hard time keeping it together in Nashville at the Carter House when the guide was telling about the last battle of the civil war that occurred on that spot. Such a waste, so much anguish. It breaks my heart.

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

I got home from the Memorial (which was very moving! you can read about my time there on the current mnf thread) and found my package from Sharon! Inside were to great pieces of fabric, lemon balm and painted daisy seeds, and TWO patterns! One is called Sew Many Pieces and is based on the Kansas City Star block, using a lot of scraps and wide binding. The 2nd pattern is called (and I loved this!) Dan's Re-mix. It kind of reminds me of a large-scale split rail fence block, with some cool alignments of the blocks making a much huger design.

THANK YOU SHARON!!!

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

Your welcome Dan. I wanted to send some plants of the painted daisy but they were very wet and I didn't want them to mold in this heat. Sometime later.

Linda, I have yours ready and went to the post office and they were closed. I think they keep changing their hours.

On the blocks that I'm sending out this month. They are cut from my scraps and most are 5 x 6 or more. I couldn't see cutting off 1".

I recieved my package fron Dan & Bev today. I've put things away already but there were a nice range of color, and patterns I don't think I have & seeds. THANK YOU BOTH!

Good nite
    gmom

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

I was charmed by Dan today! The quilt pattern he included was for "puff" quilts & "pillow" quilts. My great-grandma's quilt was made this way & it's a great way to use some charms! I think it'll be fun to try this during the winter...cuddled up on the couch, watching the fire. :)
    Thanks for some cute charms & great ideas, Dan!

• bev2009
    12 years ago

I've received Melissa's and Sharon's packets. Thank you ladies. The fabrics are lovely. I think I going to make a charm quilt for my screened porch this winter, so the variety is great. And I love the seeds. I WS'd babies breath this year, but it never got out of its jug! Now I can try again next year. And my DH loves the cosmos.

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was charmed by both Dan and Melissa. Dan sent some lovely charms in greens and blue's with a pattern of puff quilts which look like fun!

Melissa sent a nice assortment of which definately will be put to good use. She also sent blue flax, forget me nots, zinna, and celsosia..all favorites of mine!''

THanks to you both! ((HUGS))

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Linda: sends to Bev, dan, Melissa
    Melissa: sends to Sharon, Bev, Linda sent/received
    Dan: sends to Sharon, Linda, Melissa sent/received
    Sharon: sends to Bev, Dan, Linda sent/ all received but Linda
    Bev: sends to Sharon, dan, Melissa sent/received

Mine are going out tomorrow.."sigh"

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

Linda, your package went out today.
    Melissa your package was recieved today. Thank you so much for the nice asst. of charms. Some of the seed has been planted all ready. I was waiting for the Broccoli for my fall garden and some flower seed. The gaillardia I winter sowed several years ago have made a big impression this year.
    Thanks to you all. This has been fun.
    My daughter & family will be here in 3 days and their room is not ready yet. I must put all my sewing away.
    Have a good evening
    gmom
    Sharon

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Linda sent me a great stack of charms, directions for the depression block, and 3 packs of seeds...zinnias, pink coneflowers, and burgundy gaillardia.
    THANK YOU LINDA!!! It was a great way to come home and begin my (1 day) weekend!
    Dan

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I received some lovely charms from Sharon. She also sent an awesome pattern that I'm going to give a try as well as some lavendar seeds and some day lily bulbs. Thanks so much sharon! ((HUGS))

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

I was charmed by Linda today! Lots of pretty pink charms, a great quilt block pattern & some seeds that I am excited about! Love forget me nots & lavender!
    Thank you, Miss Linda! :D
    You made my Monday LOTS better!!

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Looks like I am the last one standing. Hopefully my packet will come today:)

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It should be there by now..."fretting"

• bev2009
    12 years ago

No need to fret...it has arrived:) Thanks for the lovely fabrics and pattern. And I love the seeds. I only have one guara plant and I don't think I will get any seeds off of it.

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was hoping those seeds would work for you! Glad to see everything arrived safely!

This swap is now closed!! "thunking gavel"