Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

Dan's Trip to the Parade (picture heavy)

dan_the_mailman
11 years ago

I took today off from delivering the mail so I could go to a parade. Locally we're ending what's called the National Cherry Festival, which is a fun-filled week of music, parades, and mayhem...lol! Here's what came after most of the politicians got out of the way...

Comments (17)

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

an old fire truck

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

apparently Barney the dinosaur had a son, and he now lives here in Traverse City...lol

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

we are a coast guard town, and proud of it

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here's another shot of our 'copter. these guys recently helped the station in detroit rescue 4 people who'd been in the water for 14 hours. totally cool!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

my elementary school was willow hill, so of course I got a picture of their float!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sometimes there's a bit of a lag between entries in the parade. the people across the street kept the crowd entertained though. here they are playing duck, duck, goose. they were hilarious...

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ours is a huge farming community, so of course we had to have a long line of tractors in the parade! they looked great coming down the street.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

do you think the post office would let me mount one of these on my mail truck? lol, I wish!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

the theme for the parade was "the 50 states". I thought what they chose to do for new mexico was purely inspired! now, who says we don't have proof of aliens? it's right there! see the alien???

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

it wasn't all military and aliens, there was a little bit of clowning around too...

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here's a shot of one of the local radio celebrities, Terri Ray. she's had the #1 lunch time show for like a billion years now, and deservedly so! yep, she's one of my favorite people.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

and that's about it. there were all kinds of bands, floats, and even a couple of knife jugglers. definitely well worth taking a day off from work so I could go to a parade!

Dan

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Great pics, Dan, looks like it would have been lots of fun! Saw the Alien and loved the horses!

Would you happen to know if your Coast Guard station tends the shoal lights on Lake Michigan, like North Manitou and some of the big shoal lights in the western straits? They have given up a lot of the lighthouses around Michigan, but I know they still own North Manitou and like I said, most of the shoal lights in the Straits. Just wondering where they would be based.

Thanks for sharing the pictures!
    Shirley!

• poisondartfrog
    11 years ago

Great pictures Dan! The New Mexico float was my favorite-glad you had a good time.
    Alana

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Shirley, I'm not sure who tends those lights. I know the CG keeps pretty busy though. I don't think people realize just how important a job they have, but I'm glad they're here!

• sjc48
    11 years ago

I'm glad they are around too, Dan, if only for the care of the lighthouses! It's thanks to that care that I've been able to get some of my lighthouse shots. If they weren't maintained or turned over to responsible organizations, they would be ruins by now, or totally demolished. Kudos to the Coast Guard and the many, varied groups that have taken over for them.

I never gave a thought to the Coast Guard in connection with the Great Lakes until I started taking pics of the lighthouses. But they are here and I'm very glad!

Sorry this is so off topic!
    Shirley!

• gmom2-6boys
    11 years ago

Looks like you had a day off that was worth it, Dan. While I was seeing the parade on the news I was wondering if you were there.
    Most of the Lighthouses have been signed over to the Lighthouse Organation. Some are privatly owned.
    Dan is on the west side of Michigan and I'm on the east. We have a Coast Guard station along with Ice Breaker Mackinaw in Cheboygan, also
    Nice pictures Dan.
    gmom

Sponsored
All American Painting Plus
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars114 Reviews
Loudoun County Paint & Wall Coverings Professional: Best of Houzz