Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenthumbgrow

Crazy Crazy Plant Swap! 3

greenthumbgrow
14 years ago

LINK To Check Request Status:

CLICK HERE TO check your Request Status -- make sure you are where you should be AND to check your request numbers...

Tammy:-)

And now the original rules...

Crazy Crazy Plant Swap!

OK I know Im going crazy hosting another swap so soon after that water one but hey what can I say, I think I'm addicted!

Alright I guess 'suggestions' would be in order:

1. First thing - Sign Up

2. List some of your plants for selection by others

(you do not have to list them all but a couple would be nice so we know we are getting some things we have requested) **(Be sure to select the ones you are interested in from others list)

Example: I may be planning on sending in 100 plants but only want to make 20 available for selecting that would be fine. (Of course if you want to post all that is perfectly fine)

I will be keeping track of requests and toward the end will have you review them.

3. Label all plants with the Plant Name, Your name, and who they are to go to (if you are letting other select them).

4. You will recieve the number of plants you send in (That actually make it to me alive, so please be sure to pack your plants correctly -see #5). Please send plants in good health that you would not mind recieving in return. I would also request that you send in 'clumps' of smaller plants instead of just one little one so that each person will have a nice start of whatever it is.

***** IMPORTANT NOTE: If you request 50 plants then you will need to be sure to send in 50 plants so that someone is not receiving less than they send in. Each person will be back what you send in.

5. Be sure to pack your plants correctly. Please Do not Overwater. This will cause your plants to rot. The correct moisture level for shipping plants should be barely moist, if you can feel the water it is too much. (unless of course it is a water plant) LOL

6. Cuttings will be allowed but please be sure to list those online for others to select the ones they want, some people may not want cuttings so it is best to let those be selected, and you must label them according to #3. Please be sure to send 3-5 cutting for each request so that the success rate will be better.

7. Be sure to include in your box the following (put it in a plastic baggy so it does not get messed up):

- Return address label

- Postage for returning the box

- If you want del. Confirmation please be sure to purchase the tag and send in the box with the postage.

- List of plants you sent in and how many of each

8. All boxes must be postmarked between July 12 - 15. This will insure they all arrive in a close space and I can get the plants back to you in a timely manner.

NO LIMIT to how many plants you send

10 of Each kind or less (unless you want to post them up for unlimited requests then you can send as many as are requested)

SEND OUT: July 12-15

Have FUN!

Comments (149)

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have my tags made up. I won't dig/wrap/mail until I get back from this week's trip on Wed. I leave again Thurs to return the following Wed. Too much travel!

~CA

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

I made all my label,checked my list,pulled everything that is not affected by not being dirt. like bromiliads, ochids
    nobilis so on so on. I'm not doing my cuttings untill minutes before I pack.

Tammy I'm mailing on Wednesday morning Is that ok Or should I mail on Tues.?

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO I can't wait till I get all those daylilies

Thank you soooo much everybody for sharing your wonderful
    plants. :0)

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Hey Carmen, if you want to send me a small one I would love it. I do love those plants.

OH GOSH, I forgot to start making my tags,,,,better get on that today!!! OY! LOL

April, I would just go ahead and check with UPS right of the bat. It would be cheaper in one BIG box then in 2 large flat rates, trust me I have done it LOL.

:) Fran

• cjcjmass
    14 years ago

Wow I just got back from Lowes lots and lots of surprises.
    I just can not wait too get my box I'm excited.

• dirt_under_my_nails
    14 years ago

Just checked UPS.. 10lb box will only be around 12.00,& arrive WED.15th. Sure beats 27.00 for two flat rates. Thanks for the tip Fran!!!

later...April

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

Wow, April that is a great savings!! Thanks Fran!!! So, how did you get the price from UPS? Did you pack up the box and take it there to be weighed? Did you just use a box that you had around the house? Tell us the details! :-) $12 is even cheaper than a large flat rate box. Wow!

Amy

• threas
    14 years ago

I find alot of times the Flat rate boxes are more expensive than mailing by weight. You can turn a flat rate box inside out and use the inside without the print & just mail priority.
    You can probably get an idea of weight with a reg. scale, because of all the plants we're swapping.
    I thought I read in another RR swap, if you purchase your postage online, you get a 10% discount, but I can't be sure. Let me see if I can find it.
    Here is the link to UPS rates. Tammy is in zone 1.

Here is a link that might be useful: UPS rates

• threas
    14 years ago

Here's what another hostess says:
    " If you print offline confirmation is free plus you get a 10% discount off regular rates. But they may not scan until package is delivered.."

I'm gonna see if I can do this.I have a postage scale too.
    Hope this helps.

• dirt_under_my_nails
    14 years ago

I used a box I had here, packed it up, weighed it on the bathroom scale, then put in the info on the ups site. I'm off to mail it. Will let you know if my guesstimate is correct.I'm really hoping so......

later....April

• shadysite
    14 years ago

Just a thought...if anyone would like to try kitchen composting with redworms (esenia fetida), I would be happy to pack a couple of dozen in a ziplock with shredded newspaper bedding for you. Just let me know by Wed. when I do the final box to take up to Tammy's.

Looking forward to trying all these new plants! Lisa

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

Wow!! Where do you get a postage scale? I have heard about the discount of printing the postage online, I'll have to try that!

April, "...weighed it on the bathroom scale..." LOL!!! That's awesome!

Yes April, please let us know the amount. I am all about penny pinching!!! Thanks, you ladies are so smart!!!

Amy

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

Wait, Lisa we posted at the same time. I need to know more about the Kitchen composting!! I have two compost piles in my garden where I compost all of my plant/kitchen scraps. What is kitchen composting??

I am full of questions today!!

Amy

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Lisa I would LOVE to get some worms, I was wanting to start but good grief ordering those things are expensive.

OK Folks here is the information I had for the Wet My Feet Swap Tammy did a few months ago:
    My box size was:
    Lenght: 19.5 in
    Height: 10 in
    Width: 9.5
    according to my post office, their scale was off some it weighed: 9 lbs 14 ozs (USPS)
    according to UPS it weighed 10 lbs 15 oz so billable weight was 11 lbs weighed: 11 lbs (UPS)
    It shipped through UPS for $$$$12.08

It was a LARGE box and it was HEAVY

I sent a box in my 100 Limit Plant Swap that weighed 15 lbs it cost 14.16 to ship with UPS and it was going to be like 27.08 with USPS.....

I can't find the actual numbers on it BUT it was really heavy and a large box.

OK well, I came to check the plants I have listed one more time and to make sure I have them all down and for whom they are going to, so I will get back to that now...
    GOSH I am starving!!!!!!

• shadysite
    14 years ago

Amy, I live in a suburb and basically compost leaves outside, but not much else because people periodically have problems with rats! Not us, so far, although there are plenty of mice and voles to feed the red fox that resides somewhere in the neighborhood.

Kitchen composting uses a particular kind of red worm in a shallow covered box in the kitchen to munch through all your vegetable peelings -- we have successfully cut down our non-recyclable garbage to one not quite full barrel every two to three weeks. You can skip all the fancy worm bins and towers and just keep the worms in a shallow plastic lidded box -- I started with one of the fresh lettuce boxes from the grocer. Our extension people don't even punch holes in them, just open the lid, toss in the veg stuff, make sure the peelings are covered with newspaper, and close the lid again. A little air goes a long way for a worm.

Check out this link:
    http://www.cityfarmer.org/wormcomp61.html
    There's lots of webinfo and my library had "Worms Eat My Garbage" by Mary Applehof who did this for years and years.

I am going to be off email until late Tuesday, but just post if you want worms ladies! My first came from freecycle and I'd love to pass some forward. Lisa

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

WOW!! WOW!! I am excited to try the worms. Lisa, please send me some. Could you post pictures of your box? My husband is going to send me to the looney bin soon!! LOL!

Fran, thank you so much for the info on the shipping! I will definitely look into that from now on.

Need to look into getting a shipping scale I think.

Amy

• threas
    14 years ago

Amy, LOL! I'll be goin' with you to the looney bin!

Lisa, I would love to try some worms. Thanks!

Fran, do you have UPS pick up @ your house or do you drop it off?

Theresa

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Theresa you can schedule a pickup with UPS if you done online postage with them.
    For me their shipping terminal isn't much further away then the USPS office in my little town so I just go to UPS.

I have been amazed their prices for 10lbs or more are more reasonable then USPS. I think less then 10lbs might not be I am not really sure, I just know that I have done a couple of large swaps this year and I am glad I checked them again.
    It worked out to my advantage!

Lisa I am so greatful you are willing to pass along some of your critters to us!
    Even more happy to know I don't have to actually have to have a "Worm Bin" to keep them in! I was worried about that if I took some so thanks bunches for that info!

OK, off to pack more plants I hope to get it shipped today.
    Later ladies,

• dirt_under_my_nails
    14 years ago

Just got back from all my running around. My scales were off a bit(which means I weigh more)it was 12.4 lbs which =13 billable pounds for 17.89. The box was 16 x 14 x 9. Still cheaper than 2 USPS boxes!

Tammy~ the UPS tracking # is 1z6f18A80356123102.

later...April

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

Tammy if I send my box UPS then how will I know what to send for postage. (I'm such a newbie)
    can I get postage the same way with UPS?

• threas
    14 years ago

Sorry, my last link above was supposed to be USPS.
    I calculated postage on both websites.For a 13lb. package from PA to MD.
    Priority Mail -USPS- $11.50
    Ground-(1 Day for me)-UPS- $11.65

Pretty close in price. You can find a UPS location from link below. Most Staples stores have a UPS.

Here is a link that might be useful: UPS

• threas
    14 years ago

I have brain farts. Should be $12.10 for
    Ground-(1 Day for me)-UPS-not $11.65. Doh!

• dirt_under_my_nails
    14 years ago

I sent cash for the trip back home.I didn't think about buying the shipping label there! DUH!! I'm pretty sure you can though, as that's how my husband's therapy equipment got mailed back to them when he was finished with it.Too much sun for me today I guess!!

later...April

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

I mailed my box too all whomping 24 POUNDS of it.
    Theresa, yes if you live close to someone USPS IS usually cheaper, BUT coming from the southern states it is cheaper to go UPS....
    OMG, it was a little cheaper but STILL cheaper and right now THAT'S a good thing for me.

Tammy I will go ahead and post the tracking # 1z210x100334003185

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh I want worms soooo bad. If there are any left I want some PLEASE....

I didnt read all the post but wanted to post this asap :-) Now I will finish reading and will post again in a couple minutes... LOL

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Amy - I got your box today. I opened it and put it in the air conditioner :-) The plants look to be in GREAT shape.

gardencraze - Wednesday is the 15th so that would be fine.

WORMS - Yeah! I have been wanting to do a worm bin FOREVER I am sooo excited. I did tons of research and everything. But just couldn't bring myself to pay what they wanted for those little critters. I am soooo glad you offered them up. I am so excited... wait I alredy said that. LOL
    Yup DH is definately going to be thinking looney bin!

EVERYONE - Be sure all boxes are postmarked before the 15th. Don't forget. I will be shipping boxes back out that weekend if everything works as planned. I would like to get them back out asap so the plants have a really quick turnaround and back in the ground. ALSO be sure to write on your boxes: Keep out of Direct Sun. (Tip from Amy - She did this and her plants looked the best I have seen in shipping)

I got my Iris swap back today and it was AWESOME! I have soo many great irises now! I just added three new flowerbeds in the back yard today... boy am I sore... but now I can add a whole bed full of irises and the other bed is going to be filled with everything from this swap. The third is just because I know I will need it before the end of the season. LOL. DH said I am getting close to the end of my flowerbeds. He said he was going to start restricting me on the beds. HHHAAA what does he know! I will just sneak them in while he's at work. LOL (kinda like I did today) He told me yesterday I didn't need anymore plant! can you believe it. My beds aren't even full! I told him that he don't need louder pipes on his bike but I mind my own business and he better do the same! (all said in friendlly love of course) But I think he knows I was serious. He should know better than to even think about saying I have too many plants.... How can you have too many....

Lisa - sending you an email in a minute.

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

Tammy, so glad to hear that everything arrived in good shape. I strategically packed them in there really tight so nothing would move, but I was worried that some might get crushed.

Wow, with all of these huge boxes going out UPS, I feel like I may not have sent enough postage for mine. I sent enough for a large flat rate USPS box with a DC#. Tammy, please let me know if I need to send you more $$.

Happy packing everyone!! Now I need to go pack my suitcase...LOL!

Good night,
    Amy

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Amy- I am sure it should be enough. Frans last time was hugh and it only cost around 15-16 So if you are a little short I will cover it and you can just send it back. But I think it should cover it.... knock on wood. LOL. I always check which way is cheapest for each package so that will help. You did a great job packing everything was tiptop shape.

Fran - got your email with conf.

Everyone - I will post as soon as I recieve packages so you know.

:-) Tammy

• bigmama4ever
    14 years ago

im so sorry i could not find the rain lilys, had them in 3 places and could not find them, if they do pop up i will let you know so i can send some..

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

mama if they are not there I would think the may have croaked, mine die back in the winter but come warm weather they come back.
    I did send you some sprigs of the white, sure hope they do well for you LOL.

Yes, I am having a bad night and can not sleep well. I hope I can get sleepy enough to go back to bed and stay there this time!!!

G'night again hehe,

• zinaray
    14 years ago

sorry evryone who ask for the white crested iris , they are gone, i do have the blue crested iris, which i will give you. if you want enjoy, if not pass on again i'm sorry. packages going ou today
    Toni

• robin1962_2008
    14 years ago

Tammy,I mailed my box today.The tracking number is:0308 3390 0000 9636 7827.I hope everything survives.I`ll be worried until I know they arrived okay.I can`t wait until my box arrives! Robin

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

Tammy I mailed my box today it should be to you by Friday.
    Tracking #1z44e76v0370220614

• cjcjmass
    14 years ago

Tammy i mail my box out today tracking # 1z8r97350341239224

thanks for hosting this swap.
    cindy

• shadysite
    14 years ago

Ladies, I have Fran, Amy, Theresa and Tammy down for worms for kitchen composting . Think of this as a "surprise" that you know about in advance with no obligation on your part. I would hate to send you a surprise that turned your stomach :(.

I am totally committed to kitchen composting, both to get rid of vegetal trash without pest problems and to get a documented phenomenal fertilizer. I move some worms outside every summer in a closed container where they reproduce prolifically....although I still don't have enough worms in the kitchen to take care of a primarily vegetarian household.

If you've read the material and are worried about how to fish the worms out of the compost without holding your nose and getting your fingers dirty
    1/ compost doesn't smell bad
    2/ a nifty trick -- when your bin looks like it's done, put some veggie peelings/ends in a net bag from your onions/avocadoes, and leave for a week. Then pull out the bag with a lot of chomping worms to start your next batch. Let the vermicompost dry, sift, move whatever worms are left to your new batch, and voila! COMPOSTwith power, especially for seedlings.

If you want some to get started with a small "test" quantity,this is your chance! Lisa

• shadysite
    14 years ago

OK, I have to get this in before we run out of space again. While you're waiting for your box. if you like gardens, romance, and magic, READ "Garden Spells" by Sarah Addison Allen. Have a good week/end. Lisa

• dirt_under_my_nails
    14 years ago

Ohhh.... I think I've read that one!Is that the book with the magic apples?

later...April

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Lisa, isn't it funny how people think compost will stink? I had a compost pile last year outside, it was great.
    I can't wait to get this started, again I appreciate you offering to share, I heard the multiply pretty rapidly.

Your gonna have to share some tips and maybe pics to let us know HOW to know when it looks done, I know what outside compost looks like when it's done BUT this is something very different from that, yeap, I am asking you to take pics of your worms lol. How's that for creepy crawly? Actually, I am asking for pics of your finished compost! hehe, I need a visual.
    I can't tell you how excited I am to know I am getting a starter of WORMS woooohooo! Thanks again!!!

• threas
    14 years ago

My box is going first thing this morning. Boy,girls, do I need some of your tips for doing these swaps. It took me so long to pack everything up. I can't even imagine having a couple swaps going at the same time!
    Can't wait to get our boxes back!
    Lisa, thanks for the worms! I just visited the websites. Great info.

Theresa

• threas
    14 years ago

I mailed the goodies. Confirmation # is 03071790000124016737. I had to mail $13.10 in stamps. PO can't print pre-paid postage. OY! April had the right idea mailing cash.

Theresa

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

FYI, there is a kiosk at my PO that you can use instead of going to the counter. That's what I used to print my postage that I sent to Tammy (which also included the price of the DC #). Not sure if all POs have this or not, but just thought I'd let you know. I've also heard of printing postage online (which I haven't tried).

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

You're only suppose to use the print postage for the day it is being mailed.
    If you print postage for the box you are sending and then print postage for the same amount to include for your return the PO can and probably will refuse it.
    I had someone send me preprinted postage sticker dated for the day they purchased it and I asked the Postmaster if I could use the stamp to send it package back, they told me no and the reason is: if you purchase the postage preprinted their way of thinking is that it is THEN used because it is supposed to only be good the day of purchase.
    It is best to send stamps in the amount you need, the have all different ones: 3.95, 4.95, up to I THINK they told me 16.95. OR you could just get 1.00 ones then add the smaller amounts to get the total you need.

Tammy, Carmen, Amy....I am sorry but I am such a ditzoid. You know how when you tell yourself NOT to forget something over and over and over, and THEN you usually forget anyway?
    Well when I was packing plants Monday all day I kept telling myself NOT to forget the Thalia, well I was out watering today and I realized I forgot the Thalia.
    SOOOOOO if we are in another swap together I will remember I owe you all some and include it then, even if we get partnered in a swap or something I will remember to include it.
    I am sorry, I haven't been feeling well and I wanted to make sure I got that package shipped Monday and I busted my hinny off to do it and my SO even helped me this time which just does NOT happen. It just slipped my mind by the time I had the box what I thought was ready to ship, UPS closes at 6:30 and I got there about 6:10 so I was pushing it.
    I KNOW I had till Wednesday to ship but I needed to do it Monday.

OK, don't hurt me, I really do try so hard sometimes.

:/ Fran

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OMgosh.... I was a little surprised not one box showed up today... What is up with the PO. I guess I will get a boat load tomorrow.

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

Uh oh... well I hope that the postage I purchased is usable. There wasn't any type of message on the kiosk about only being able to use the postage on the day your purchase it. That would be a very stupid rule, to me the printed postage sticker should work just like any stamp that you buy. As long as it's enough to cover the price shipping the item it's attached to, then why would they care when I purchased it??

Tammy, is there a date on the sticker I sent you? If for some reason you can't use the printed postage sticker I sent you, please mail it back to me and I will go to my PO and fight for my $$ back!!!

Amy

• zinaray
    14 years ago

Hi Tammy
    The packages are in the mail, i sent $20.oo for postage use what you need and return any bills left or use it and e- mail me if you need more [ one day away]. I sent 3 boxes ,2 large and 1 smaller, P.O. said you will get them tomorrow[Thur.]
    comfirmation * 0305 2710 0000 7276 9467
    0305 2710 0000 7276 9450
    0305 2710 0000 7276 9474
    Thanks Toni

• dirt_under_my_nails
    14 years ago

Hey Tammy! UPS tracking shows mine was delivered to the front door. Hoping I didn't put the wrong address on it!
    later...April

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Amy, it is printed with a date. THAT is the problem and NO they do not tell you that. THEY think we are supposed to KNOW it! It stinks!
    If you and Tammy will email me I will tell you how she can use it. I will not post it here.

HEY Tammy, I just checked and it says mine was delivered TODAY WOOOHOO, so was April's WOOHOOO that's 2 lol. I guess you KNOW what is your hostess gift this time. I didn't write a message on it because I figured you've done this enough to know that IS FOR YOU hehe...

PLEASE tell me the plants look ok, I am not sure how well they looked after that packing thing. hehe.

Go ahead and take your Trumpet Vines out. They were water logged, for some reason. I THINK it rained on them where I had them sitting on the porch. I went ahead and sent them though because I don't think it hurt them.

OK, I am headed for a nap I think hope I get over this junk soon!
    YEALater ya'll,

• threas
    14 years ago

Fran, feel better soon!
    Yup, the postmaster told me the same thing about the label only being good for that date.
    Tammy, do you have a truck to return all these boxes? lol

Theresa

• cjcjmass
    14 years ago

Tammy i included cash for my return box if you need more please let me know and i will send it. Do you have a paypal account? This was my first big swap and i was so confused while trying to put everything that i promissed. If anything did not make it I will replace it just let me know. I sent a bunch of extra so please distribute that accordingly.
    cindy

• janie1leigh
    14 years ago

Tammy
    I also sent cash-lmk if you need more. I put some purple perilla (for shadysite)in the top of the box and MEANT to go back and label it. I forgot..will you make sure it goes in her box, please?
    Here is my DCN-0308 0070 0001 1454 4610
    THANX for doing this!! Janie

• greenthumbgrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Right after I posted the one above I got a ring on the door and it was.....

Frans - Thanks for the Glass Plant set! They are beautiful! Loved the night blooming jasmine:-)

Aprils - Thanks for the plants! I love them all. One question on the 'paprika' what is that one... I am thinking it is the yarrow but am not sure ??

Yeah!

Now I have three boxes and I am betting tomorrow will be the kicker for the mail lady.

Amy - I didn't know that either so if I can't use it I will let you know. I will try though....
    Fran - sending you an email about the sticker.