Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vic_zn5

How'd Ya Get That Name!

Vic Billings, MT
15 years ago

HI ALL!

I was reading another thread and they were talking about how everyone came up with their GW name. There was some pretty interesting stories, and although some are pretty easy to figure out (like mine) There are some very interesing GW names on here and if you would like to share where you got it from I would love to hear!

Vic

Comments (72)

• dirt_under_my_nails
    15 years ago

What a great thread to find on a Saturday morning!!! My name is pretty simple to figure out. I always start out with a pair of gloves on when I headed to the garden. But they never stay on,I gotta feel the EARTH!!!! So I always end up with dirt_under_my_nails !! I thought it sounded better than Skanky Feet.LOL!!! I garden barefoot.....
    later...April/dirt

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

April/Dirt, I love your name! my nails are "dirty" from spring till the snow starts! When I was working for a DR's office I was always telling ppl that my hands were washed and scrubbed but wouldn't be truely "clean" till winter! Most laughed, only one woman suggested that I wear gloves, in a rather nasty tone. So I assured her that I did wear them when I felt is was needed, then I proceeded to put on gloves to draw her blood! I think I offended her! LOL

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

WOW!!! plantwhores, loose boobs, man, this is the website for me!!!

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Ok....No more Margaritas for Dan.

Now I've got to go get my B@@Bs back in line.....

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL Dan.....only you...............

Sunny, I sure hope you get your B@@B's under control!

Ok People, (I'm refering to those of you that are hiding in the background reading and not sharing how you got your names!) It's your turn!....

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

I love the stories behind the names!
    Dan,
    Can keep drinking, just make sure some has taken the keys to the postal truck away, lol.
    Ok, this is not as exciting as some of the other stories.
    When I first started coming to GW in the late 90s, when there actually was a Spike, everyone pretty much used their name. Once it started getting bigger, people of course need alternate names, and some changed them because it seemed like the thing to do especially in 2001 when we had to do the official re-registering. I though about making a name up, but decided to keep it since so many people thought my name wasn't real,lol. Even at home, I always get people saying to me, "So what's your real name?" I tell them it is my name, and then they say, "What is on your birth certificate?" Lol, as if Remy couldn't possibly be on it!
    Remy

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Sunny, need help with those??? ...hiccup... oops, sorry

• medontdo
    15 years ago

well mine is simple, LOL (as if any thing is simple with me LOL) ok as a little one, my grandma nicknamed me medo, cuz when she would get into her cabinets they'd be all rearanged and she'd say who done that??? i'd say me do it so medo stuck as in medough is how you say it, LOL but as a child i'd say me do. well, growing up, my mom is a perfectionist to the total capital T!! let me tell ya!! so if my room wasn't done right, i'd more than likely come home to my room being stripped and it being in the hallway, ahh the usual, so as an adult i don't like to do it!!! clean that way, i'm a casual cleaner. however there are SOME things i am a perfectionist on. just not the cleaning!! LOL so i chose medontdo!!! LOL
    that's my story and i'm soooo sticking to it!!! LOL Hugs ~Medo
    man vic this is awesome!! i often wondered how everyone got their names!! LOL although, i had a feeling how bunny got hers!! LOL HEE HEE HEE!!! LOL

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Medo,
    I wondered just what it was that you don't do! Now I know!!
    Vic

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Medo, I love that story !!

And Dan, thanks for the offer , but I can manage ....ROTFL!!

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sunny, at least you didn't LYBO this time!! LOL

• ollierose
    15 years ago

Neat idea - I've wondered about some of the names on here!

I think I get my green thumb from my grandmother and her name is Ollie. I like roses a lot and they just sound too good together not to use the name!

Diana

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Wow, mine seems a little bland compared to how some of you got your names! Jaleeisa is well... here's some background about me:

I was a Dungeons and Dragon's geek from the time it came out. Over the years I've played many characters in tabletop games. Well, then I discovered QNet once I got a computer. For those who don't know, that was the precursor to AOL. I found a Role Playing Games area and brought out one of my original tabletop characters and learned to RPG online. Over the years the RPG online evolved to lose the dice and become more of a co-operative creative writing where each person controls only their own characters. I still have several characters that I play, though after AOL decided to partner with EA Sports for the games area and dumped the games area that I had "volunteered" as a community leader in for many years... see, we were not able to say we worked for AOL. Though I managed the Duel of Magic area for them for many years and co-managed the Dueling Forum as well. Including all the training, scheduling, room monitoring, managing the game, etc.. Well, we moved our games to the web after being shut down with AOL. Off and on over the years I've continued to be a volunteer in the games. Some of my characters over the years are: (with the number of years I've played them either in tabletop and/or online in parenthesis) Kat Artrayu-Ollivan (26), Mystik Silverhand- Talesdrin (24), Karissita (Silverhand)Talbrin (24- Myst and Kari are twins seperated before, yes, before, birth) Jaleeisa Windstar (15), Aylysia Lute (10). All of these characters have histories, etc and are very different. Jaleeisa happens to be one of my favorite characters and has evolved over the years and is now Lifemated to a Carpathian fan based character.

LOL, so Jaleeisa is something entirely made up by me, including the name. When I found GW, I wanted something that would catch my eye, and since I had been playing Jal quite often and I'm use to her name catching my eye in a VERY rapidly moving chatroom, it seemed a good choice :)

Hehehe... so, now I'm waiting to see how many here think I'm a geeky weirdo! :P

Oh, and by the way, I'm having computer issues lately.. explanation on the Conversations side on the Seed Exchange.

Kathy

• dorisl
    15 years ago

Im a bore.

I will say that my fave screenname came in on a seed pack last week:

ZZTOPSOIL

gotta love that.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i just love how all of the names come about!! LOL even if ya just used your name and added a letter. and such!! LOL its soo cool!! ya i think i saw that name in the soil forum!! i love to go there alot, and the organics, they've always got something interesting to say. LOL
    ~Medo

• daffodillady
    15 years ago

Well, nothing too exciting about my name. Some of my earlist and fondest memories are as a youg girl growing up in Ohio. We had to walk a distance to catch the bus to school. It was so cold and snowy in the winter and I looked forward to seeing that big field FULL of cheerful daffodils every spring, because it warm weather was on the way. And oh how I loved the smell of those early daffodils!! Imagine my surprise and delight when we moved to Alabama a year and a half ago, to find that we would be living on Daffodil Lane!!

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Daffodillady, daffodils are my favorite, too!

Okay, so I am sandalpper_rose because right around the time I joined GardenWeb I was very interested in growing roses (especially the antique ones and those that are easy to grow.) The "Sandlapper" part is a reference to "someone from South Carolina." It is used in the name of a South Carolina magazine and in the names of some businesses.

I did like the names better when we could have some capital letters in them, but at least they didn't make it so that the two names totally ran together...sandlapperrose looks a bit odd - like the key got stuck or something!

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

While hubby was in the Navy and stationed in Hawaii, we found mugs with your Hawaiian name on them, and for Karen, it showed my Hawaiian name as 'Kalena', and 67 is the year I was born. It had to be a name I would remember! lol Now I wish I would have came up with a name more flower related, or something cute. When I created my user name, I hadn't really checked out the website too closely, or I probably would have came up with a diferrent name!

Karen

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karen I like your GW name, and now that I know where it came from I like it even more! And, it's much more exciting than mine! LOL
    Vic

• medontdo
    15 years ago

no karen, i love yours!! LOL i kinda thought it was hawaiian or something like that!! LOL
    i also like yours vic!! ya know, when hubs and i (the kids too) go somewhere we LOVE to try to figure out what the liscence tags are "trying" to say!! LOL thats KINDA what some of these are like sometimes!! LOL ohhh beth!! i LOVE certain kinda daffodills!! especially if they are really fragrant!! i didn't know they were till talla brought me some, she says LOOK MOM!!!! i said they're pretty, (now, talla knows i love,LOVE fragrance!!!) so she goes, NO MOM, SSSMMMMEEEEEELLLLLLL!!!! LOL so of course, me being obedient, i smelled!! LOL man, they do smell!!i did notice that the one's that i pulled from the house and put to the shade, for some reason turned to naked ladies!! LOL hmmm.....how in the world did that happend??? LOL ~Medo

• esiuol
    15 years ago

This is so cute. I love reading all of thse stories.

Mine is just my name backwards. esiuol = louise. I use this screen name for everyting. Way back before I had a computer, I wanted a personalized license plate, but I couldn't come up with anything clever to put on it. Then I saw a car that had one with the drivers name spelled backwards. I just thought that was too cool. That's when esiuol was born.

Louise

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i really do like that!~ i used odem's magazine on the boy's for that's how i learned about everything when i couldn't explain things, i'd tell them, i read it in the odem's magazine!! LOL man they'd believe me!! till they caught on, which was waYYYYYYY later, so it was cool!! LOL they were grown!! LOL i might have told one of the grown boy's though, LLOL ummm... that's brother's for those of ya'll who don't know me, i helped raise them, i think jared was hmmmm...in kindergarden when i took over and jimi was in 1st and dave was in maybe 6 or 7th grade. mom decided to take up truckdriving. and that's when i met my boyfriend turned fiance turned husband, LOL all in 11 1/2 months i was 17 and we were married when i was 18 1/4 LOL ~Medo

• wynative
    15 years ago

I admit that I have been lurking but if I post, can I have a Margarita? I brought my own glass....
    {{gwi:1290148}}

Mine: yes, I was born here and still live in the great state of Wyoming -
    Marie

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"filling Marie's glass" Ummm......it's kinda small Marie!
    If you come over to the pool (MNF July swap) we have much larger glasses! And they are plastic, just in case Dan bumps into ya and you drop it!

Louise, that was a great idea!
    Jamie is always looking a lic plates trying to figure them out, I told him I was going to get a plate with just some random letters and see if I can drive ppl crazy trying to figure out what it says!

I always wondered what a "sandlapper" was! LOL

• dirtpig
    15 years ago

Wow love this thread!! And Margaritas..hehe

I'm not on any of the forum as much as I use to be.
    Started playing here way back when it was ONLY an plant exchange(1998)Wow how its grown.

But anyway,My name came from my husband.He was setting up my first e mail for me.He thought he was being cute,I hated it.I thought he was being mean.LOL Well it grew on me and now I love it.Even have lic plate with it now...hehe..go figure

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

DirtPig, I totally love your name! I've seen it a few times and it always made me laugh.

Hi Louise, funny story, when Trina had you as her partner a few months ago she was trying to pronounce your gw name. I took a look at it and then it clicked that it was your name reversed. I busted up laughing and told her what it was. I thought she was going to throw a shoe at me all the way from Texas!

Marie, how's your margarita? Not too too strong I hope? :o) Do we have any nada colada's here? I love those, I don't need the rum just the frosty fruit and coconut. Yum YUM!

Tracy

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

(.....still looking for swim trunks...) What? What's that Tracy? Oh, yeah, we can make a virgin for you, but where's the fun in that? Eh? Here, let me fix your drink (turning to add the rum without Tracy seeing), here you go. Drink up! (halo slipping on a horn)

Anyone seen my swim trunks? I can't find them!

And WELCOME TO EVERYONE!!! Drinks are on the bar, the water feels great, and there are plenty of brownies over on the table. Made'em myself! hehehe

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Watch it Dan or I'll have to give you the old evil eye

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

hmmm, Tracy, if I had a dime for every time someone has told me that, or something like it..... lol!!!

and I'd like to give a big THANKS to Linda for retrieving my swim trunks for me and giving them back!

You all didn't really think you were going to dump me at some clinic and get away with it, did you??? If so, you've got a lot to learn!!! I've been telling Paula about what's been going on here these past few days, and she thinks we're just too funny!

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Eek...as much as I love brownies...I am not too sure of Dan's brownies....ROTFL!!

I adore all of the name stories tho....pass a big frosty shot of Tequila down this way.....

• wynative
    15 years ago

Thanks Vicky but did you have to refill it sooo many times? I chose a small one on purpose! LOL Maybe I should stick with Tracy's idea and just have the slushy stuff! The older I get the harder it is to bounce back :)and I'm not good company when I have a headache...

I feel much better this morning, I do hope everyone had a much fun as I did! Great pool party, Dan!

Marie

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marie, look over there "pointing finger and filling glass while she looks away"
    You should really come join us over at mnf, I think you would like it there, but be careful, there seems to be some nudity going on! LOL

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Nudity????....where?!?!

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sunny, you need to pop in on the MNF july swap, or any other thread for that matter. Seems Dan can't keep his shorts on!

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

ahem..... I've been "told" by my s.o. to keep my shorts on from now on, though she's enjoyed hearing about our escapades. I do believe someone has begun to get possessive about me, which I can only think of as... EXCELLENT!!!

so, it looks like I'm not gonna be getting nude for you ladies anymore. though, she didn't say anything against wearing white shorts in the pool though.......

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

OMGosh Dan! I've been trying to get you to keep those trunks on the whole time! Now you are finally going to listen? Sheesh! Time to behave or the misses is going to give you a whack with the old rolling pin.

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Oh goodness! I guess I'm the pimp-of-the-month for Augusts Incredible Edibles R/R, LOL! So Ima pimp it out and ask you all that love Edibles to pop over if you wanna sign up, it's open for a few more days! I'm big pimpin now! HAHAHA!

I came up with SouthernCharm because of my family. All of the southern hospitality, quality time, love for good soul food and each other, lots of humor, and enjoying life to it's fullest even when it's not always so great.

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Man...as soon as I find a guy who wont keep his shorts on...his Ol' Lady gets out the fryin'pan....

....and I am so proud that the Incredible Edibles finally has a pimp, it's what we have been missing all along.

SouthernCharm...our new P I M P...Big Pimpin' !!

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Apparently Dan, aka Plant Gigalo, likes to run around buck nekkid. ROFL!!!

Sunny, you silly! LOL

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

*Snort* ROTFLMBO^^^ Pimp Juice Bwahahahah!!!

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Does that mean that somebody sent southerncharm through the juicer? Or was she squeezed to make that pimp juice? Poor girl, look at her, she's all mushed up now. Here dear, drink this and you'll feel all juiced up again...

• chellflower
    15 years ago

Mine's pretty simple....I'm kinda lazy about keeping up with different usernames for different sites I visit. My name is Chell (no, seriously it is) and I like gardening/flowers, and there IS a plant called mexican 'shellflower' so..TaDa!...They seemed to fit like peanut butter 'n chocolate. If I shorten it folks can still recognize me...and even I can remember who I am when online. So it keeps things easy = I don't have to think.

BTW, LGS..I thought whores are the ones that GET paid for the 'goods', so if you're the one forking out the greenbacks buying your plants/goodies, doesn't that make you a 'HIGH CLASS' Plantwhore?!?! LOL. And what would that make the plant nursery...the Pimp or the John ??? LOL

Y'all have a good night!

Happy Trails...
    Chellflower

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

Ahem.....I'm high class all right *nose up in air* sniffing all my beauties in bloom right now.....ssssnnifffff ahhhhhh.....ahhhchooooo oh sorry did I get some on ya....
    and would'nt it be the john since the pots are full of sh...... ummmm fertilizer too.

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

ROFLMBO! I'm a little on the mangled side, handing LGS and Chellflower a couple tissues! I think I'll be alright... I'll take 2 of those Tracyvine. hehehe They look absolutely refreshing! :)

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

I've said it before, and I'm gonna say it again.....

Y'all are too twisted for color tv! LOL!!!

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Handing two glasses of the most refreshing libations ever made on over to my new friend Southerncharm! Now drink up dear and you'll be right as rain in no time! Careful now they come with quite a kick.

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Woohoo! Thanks a bunch, I surely needed those! hehe
    As I'm swinging from the rafters...

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

I wasn't going to post because I think mine is pretty clear, but what the heck, I live in NC, I like to garden, and of course I am a girl...boring right?
    I used to be CarolinaDreamer, but Spike booted me off under that one, then someone else was able to get it when it was available again.
    I am know by that name on everything else I sign up for, a friend gave me the name a LONG LONG time ago and told me that anytime they heard it they would think of me, or know it was me or what ever. I used to be a truck driver and of course it was my truckers handle on the CB. I think that one is a lot cooler then the one I have now.
    I too like zztopsoil, the 1st time I saw it was way way way way back then and I thought OH HOW COOL, Wish I would have thought of that one, I also like dirtpig, cuz I like dirt and pigs... I also like dirt_under_my_nails, southerncharm, LGS who should have really sighed up under her other name...hehe and a lot of others I can't think of right now.
    Ok, shutin' up now,
    :) Fran

• medontdo
    15 years ago

na, i don't think any of the name's are boring, one of the things i love about here is all the talking!! man, people can really talk it up!! LOL some people have a real knack for chatting!! didya notice that?? LOL and "some" are just toooo halarious!! man i do haveta go check on that boy!! LOL he is soooo quiet and sneaky!! LOL ~Medo