Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
proudgm_03

re: new mnf dog days of summer

proudgm_03
14 years ago

OK, yall! It is time for the MNF Dog Days of Summer Swap. Since the cats have had theirs, it is time for the dogs to have their day. You donÂt have to have a dog to participate but for those of us who do have one of manÂs best friends and garden buddies letÂs not forget to include them.

My co-host for the month is Abby. She is spoiled rotten

(worse than my grandkids) and is found wherever I am, either at my feet or in my lap. She likes to keep me company in the garden. Abby will be very sad shortly because school is starting and I have to go back to work. (She will not be as sad as me when that happens!) However, I did get her a kitten to keep her company and they have a great time tormenting, I mean entertaining, each other.

"Dog Days is the name for the most sultry period of summer, from about July 3 to Aug. 11. Named in early times by observers in countries bordering the Mediterranean, the period was reckoned as extending from 20 days before to 20 days after the conjunction of Sirius (the dog star) and the sun.

In the latitude of the Mediterranean region this period coincided with hot days that were plagued with disease and discomfort."

Source: Columbia Encyclopedia

Well, I can certainly relate to the sultry and discomfort part of the description as anything over 70 is too hot for this momma. Hot weather is hard for us all and tends to make people a tad cranky and uptight. So letÂs just make this a fun, take your mind off the heat, help your swap partner stay cool and relaxed kind of swap. Maybe Dan can send us all some of his special brownies to help us unwind!

Rules for the swap:

1. There really arenÂt any. LetÂs just relax and have some fun!

2. If you have a dog(s), please tell us about him/her/them, and share some pics.

3. If your partner has a dog, please send something for him/her.

4. Include some kind of garden item: seeds, bulbs, gardening tool, decoration, etc.

5. Sign ups will be until midnight Sunday, August 2nd.

6. Partners will be picked by Abby on Monday, August 3rd.

7. Boxes need to be sent out no later than Saturday, August 22nd.

Comments (70)

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OK people who have said they are in so far for the swaps are:

Becky
    Kat
    Smitties
    Joan

Dan and Linda are you in?

Today's the last day to sign up. Linda you better grab your stick and go beating the bushes. But don't take Dan with you. You know what happened the last time you guys were in the bushes. We don't want to scare anyone off! Where are all of our usual characters, and I do mean characters!

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Sorry, Becky. I'm gonna have to stay out of this one. About all I can handle right now is a seed swap or two, for some reason. I'll be joining on the October swap for sure, and possibly the September swap, but I'm not sure about that one yet.
    As for the whereabouts of everyone, I'm not sure where they are. I know Mark is having some issues with the homefront, and Kathy is still laid-up and without the internet, though she can get on occasionally. Diene has taken an extended LOA, and the search parties have yet to report back on Kamil.
    Hmmm, seems like this summer has really done a number on the group.

Keep hoping for the best though!

Peace.

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

I'm in.....I"ll see who I can roust up

• ejmoore510
    14 years ago

No, Piggy & Pinky stay outside. It's very rural where I live. We have 23 acres and my front yard alone is 2 acres, so they have lots of room to run andd play. Pepper is the only one who stays inside with me, and believe me,she loves to rub it in with the others. :)
    Abby is absolutely as cute as a bug!
    I'll send a couple of emails and see if we can talk a couple of others into joining too. I looked for our swap schedule to see what fun is in store for us the rest of the year, but I couldn't locate it.
    I'm sure as the weather cools down and the gardening slows, there will be more joining in.
    Well, I'm going outside to see how wet it is here this morning. It's rained every day for 5 days straight here now.
    Joan

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

sorry I won't be able to swap this month. have fun, everyone!

~CA

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So far we have:

Becky
    Kat
    Smitties
    Joan
    Linda

Linda were you able to beat anymore out of the bushes? I'll keep checking in today and post partners this evening.

Everyone make sure your want lists are up to date. And you might want to list some other things you like i.e. candles, teas, candies (that won't melt) lotions, snacks, seed envelopes, bubble mailers, or any of the other hundreds of things that I've forgotten. You can list them on a post here if you don't want to add them to your want list. I know I'm having a hard time with this one so I need ideas.

See ya this evening.

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

I beat some bushes....not many hiding though!

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

Becky are you going to do partners or round robin us?...curious minds want to know..

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

by the way, I have three dogs..Cindy,who's a border collie mix. She's 13 now and is deaf. Luckily when I noticed that she was going deaf, I started her on hand signals. She doesn't interact as much as she used to...she sleeps alot and likes to lay in the yard and watch the birds.

Next is Chancey..a terrier mix..big terrier mix! He weighs about 45 pounds and looks like a blond Benji. He's 7 now. He's very bossy and gets upset when his breakfast and dinner are late. His source of annoyance is Piper.

Piper just turned 3. She's a black lab/pitbull mix. She only weighs about 38 pounds but is all muscle. She looks like a small lab except for the apple head. Her greatst joy is to harass Chance until he chases her! She also is very attached to me and follws me everywhere.

All of the dogs were abandoned before we got them. CIndy had 5 owners before us, Chancey was a puppy Jeff found along side a country road and Piper...well...Sara brought her home from someone's house that was feeding the puppy beer. Piper was about 5 weeks at the time...so there you have it,,,our dogs

and they all get along with the 8 cats.....

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was going to partner. I'm not sure about the round robins.

Linda, your dogs sound adorable. My Lady, a sheltie, knew a few hand signals when she went deaf. It always worried me about her being out in the yard by herself though. She was 13 when we had to have her put down. She was in a lot of pain and her kidneys were going. I couldn't watch her suffer anymore. It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do.

• galium
    14 years ago

Melissa-I did hear back from my friend who works for the NJ Dept of Ag. He said that Hostas that show symptoms for possible HVX have to be destroyed. He also said that he's not aware of HVX infecting other species. Amazingly he told me that he's seen fewer cases of HVX this year. So apparently there has been a crackdown on growers who sell HVX exposed hostas to nurseries and garden centers.
    Hope this helps
    Mariann

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Thanks, Mariann! I feel informed now. :O)
    It is amazing that I hadn't heard of this before. I'm very relieved that I didn't get started on my shade bed before knowing- it might have saved me a headache!
    I've only got a handful of hosta, but they look very healthy & have been here for over 9 years (they came with the house), so I think they are OK. I'll probably just use what I have and find other plants to fill in besides.

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, Abby drew names out of the treat jar and here's the partner's list:

Linda sends to Becky
    Kat sends to Smitties
    Becky sends to Joan
    Smitties sends to Linda
    Joan sends to Kat

Time to start filling those boxes!

• smitties
    14 years ago

Got it and I am pleased to be able to give back to Linda after that wonderful box she sent in our Made in the USA swap. I have her address so I can just start plotting and planning my box. Should be fun.

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Uh oh Linda. Margo is plotting and planning. You could be in BIG trouble!

Margo, did you know that insects travel VERY WELL? Not that I'm suggesting you should sent some creepy crawlies to Linda or anything, just asking a simple question...
    ***attempting to look innocent and hoping it's working***

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I didn't know that companies were not shipping bulbs until Sept/Oct. Now I'm up the proverbial creek without a paddle. Crap!

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

Becky
    If you're planning to ship bulbs to your partner and can't..you can always order them shipped to your partners addess and then cut out the pic of what you're sending...they'll get then when their supposed to and they'll know what they look like....just an idea..."S"

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

Dan! You're bad!

Plotting and planning?..should I be worried Margo?.."biting nail"

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

What???

What did I do???

I'm INNOCENT!!!

• smitties
    14 years ago

Not to worry Linda, there are plenty of cute insects in my yard that would like to get out of the Bowling Green. Don't these swaps include surprises anyway?

As for including bulbs in a swap, someone did that for me a couple of years ago. She ordered oriental lilies and had them shipped to me. It worked out well and the company was one she worked with alot so they knew she was ordering them for someone else and even sent a confirmation of order to me. They were pretty plants too when they bloomed.

• katsgarden864
    14 years ago

Hello!!

I havn't posted since I first asked to be a part of this group! So sorry!

Smitties - I am excited to have you as my partner! This will be a great swap!

Joan - I can't wait to see what you have instore for me!

I just had some shoulder surgery and have been down for a few weeks. I'm 24 and have had my entire shoulder replaced. Life has been on hold for a while now and the poor garden is suffering!!
    I shot of an e-mail telling joan that I was going to back out of this swap, but after reading all the posts and finding out that I had a partner I've decided that despite my current out of commission state i'm going to make the best box I can for my partner! (We'll I'm not, my best friend is going to make it under my direction of course.. He has ever so kindly offered his time and energy towards my hobbies and wellbeing)

Anyways - I have to introduce all of you to my canine children!!

I have two great danes. Both are boys and are the joys of my life. The oldest is a 5 year old merle dane who's 200+lbs. My youngest is a 15 weeks old blue dane who currently weighs 70lbs and quickly growing! They are so loving and I am so blessed to have them in my life! Here's a few pictures for you to enjoy!

Hope you all have a wonderful day!!

-kat

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kat, your babies are precious! I've always wanted a great dane but not the big piles that come with them! My sheltie would never go in our yard. She always went somewhere else. Abby goes where ever but at least it's small!

So come on. Let's post some more pics of our babies! I'll try to get some of Abby today. She needs a trip to the beauty parlor though!

• jaleeisa
    14 years ago

I'm baaaaaack!!! Will catch up with everyone in the next few days :)

Kathy

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    Thought I'd drop by and invite you all to drop in on a perennial exchange I'm hosting this month. The link is below, so come check it out and have some fun!
    Peace.
    -Dan

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, it looks like we need a little excitement here on the Dog Days of Summer site so let's play a little game! The object of the game is to see who can answer the most of the following trivia questions (relating to dogs, of course) listed below without looking up the answers. When you think you've answered all that you can, email your answers to me by Friday, August 17th. The winner, the one with the most correct answers, will receive 10 packs of seeds.

Please don't post any of your answers here! We wouldn't want to give anyone any answers. Just copy the questions, paste them in an email to me, type in your answers and send it off by Friday.

DOG DAYS OF SUMMER TRIVIA GAME

1. What was the name of the Jetson's dog?

2. Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrain on the Dukes of Hazard had a dog named?

3. Jack London wrote about a dog named White Fang in his book entitled?

4. Kevin Costner's four-legged companion in "Dances With Wolves" was called?

5. Although his family loved him, Old Yeller had to be killed because...?

6. Sigmund Freud was assisted in his psychotherapy sessions by Jo-Fi, who was a ...?

7. Prime Minister of England, Winston Churchhill owned a ...?

8. President John F. Kennedy's favorite dog was Charlie, a ...?

9. Some breeds of dogs have been specially trained for specific jobs. Which breed was originally meant for rat-catching?

10. In what country were dogs once worshipped as Gods?

11. From Greek literature, what was the name of Odysseus' dog?

12. What is the only breed of dog that cannot truly bark?

13. What dog breed gets its name because it strikes out with its paws when fighting?

14. Contrary to popular belief, dogs do not sweat by salivating. They sweat through what?

15. What is the name of the dog from "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas"?

16. Dogs are mentioned at least how many times in the Bible?

17. When puppies lose their "milk teeth" how many adult teeth do they get?

18. Who sang, "Me and You and a Dog Named Boo"?

19. The Aztecs were thought to believe which kind of dog was sacred?

20. Who said, "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."?

Let the game begin! Have fun!

Becky

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Awww.....Kat! Your babies are beautiful!! I've always wanted a dane, and we are considering one...but hubby is afraid she'd sit on the kiddos (accidentally, of course!) or take up his side of the bed...LOL Me, I just think they are so gosh darned cuddly. My cousin has one, and I played with hers for hours. Pretty much the only dog I like! All others are so jumpy and yippy....but danes (at least the ones I know) are fairly laid back.
    That.....and I'm thinking...no one will even THINK of messing with me when I go walking if I'm tagging along behind a 200+ lb doggie. :O)

Kathy~ HI!! Glad to see you back! Hope you're feeling better!

Dan.....um.....innocent is NOT the word I'd use to describe you. LOL! I'm pretty sure you haven't been innocent since the moment the DR slapped your baby behind!! There may have been accidental moments since then, though.... :P

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bunny, are you even big enough to walk a 200 lb dog? He might drag your thin little body through the streets!

I would imagine that Great Danes are a lot like labs in their body orientation. My DD's never seems to know where their bodies are in relation to things around them and they walk or sit on your feet. And then of course, they are big babies and think that they are lap dogs. Having a 70 pound dog in your lap is something that you just have to experience.

Great Danes are nice but the size of those poo piles! Eck! And then there's always the possibility that she would eat my shitzuhuahua!

Kathy, how are things going? Fill us when when you feel up to it. Hope everything is going okay.

I went out to the garden at 7:30 this morning to pull a few weeds and the humidity is horrible. I was sopping went in 20 minutes.

I cut a few zinnias, gloriosa daisies, and cosmos for a bouquet. I did not get enough zinnias planted this year. I love to cut them and take them to school to put on my desk. It helps with my back to school transition. Don't know what I'll do this year. Note to self. Get more zinnias.

• jaleeisa
    14 years ago

It's so good to be back! Gosh! I really didn't realize how much this place had become my sanity line while recuperating! To bring everyone up to date..

I'm still healing from the surgery. The hip fractures seem to have healed. I can put full weight on it, at any rate. Well, I limp pretty badly, but, I can bear weight, ya know? It's still rather painful, especially at night. So far no more fractures, though my hip keeps 'catching' and feeling like it wants to pop again, which scares the fire out of me.

As far as the fusion itself, everything is going okay, I guess. I go back to my surgeon on the 20th for another check-up. I'll know more then. I have some concerns about it, especially since being back in bed for a month when I should have been walking has to have complicated things at least a little. We'll find out on the 20th. For the time being, I still can't sit for more than 10-15 minutes, or stand either. It becomes painful. Lying down is only comfortable for so long and I still can't sit upright in bed. Still can't get into or out of the shower alone, or climb or descend stairs alone. I need help and someone to steady me. Flat surface walking isn't nearly as bad, but outside I have to have someone to hold on to because it's unsteady. I have a feeling I'm behind on the recovery, but I'm working on it. We have a few concerns about the amount of pain I'm still having. I still cannot control it without a lot more medication than I want to be taking. Still can't bend, stretch, stoop, reach further than arm's length, can't lift anything of more than a couple seconds that's heavier than 4-5 lbs- nevermind my 10 lb limit. Lifting a gallon of milk or tea (about 8 lbs) brings tears to my eyes. That's one of our big concerns.

My two youngest boys had gone to visit with their father in Texas while I was recovering. Surprisingly he actually agreed to keep them the second month without fuss to let me at least get back to my feet. They were really happy to come home though. Vincent shot up 6 inches, and I'm not exaggerating in the least, in that two months. Devin came back two jeans sizes larger. I'm struggling to get them clothes to start school. Thankfully they had a few things that we'd put up as being too big.

Finances are really still shot. I'm still on a lot of meds, savings are gone. No idea when I'll be able to work again, but since I still can't clean my house or stand long enough to cook, I have a feeling I've got a while yet before I can start looking. I applied for Social Security Disability, but they are really dragging their heels with it. I'm not sure how many more times I can answer the same questions over and over. I think I'm just going to record them and mail them the disk. It's awful how they make you feel like a liar and a thief, ya know?

We're having trouble with the van still, but have contacted a lawyer to help since we've gotten no where on the Lemon Law claim on our own. So hopefully there's some light there.

AND, Cliff and I became grandparents last Thursday! Cliff's stepdaughter Misty had her daughter, Kilee Breeze on Thursday morning, August 6th. That's also my oldest son's birthday :) She is so adorable!!!!! I have some pictures up on my myspace account of her and will link that below for those who want to peek at our girl :)

Trying to get everyone ready for school. Cliff's going back to college, he'd dropped out for a semester with needing to help me so much. Tiffy is going to do virtual high school this year- we'll see if that goes better than regular high school- so between the two of them, we had to get the internet back on for their classes- Cliff's doing online classes as well. Now I just have to figure out how to get the boys school clothes and supplies. Tiffy has a job, but doesn't get many hours, but she's going to pay for the internet with her check.

So, there are lots of ups and downs, lots of things still in the air and uncertain. I get really frustrated and I want my life back. Some days I really wonder if this surgery is going to be worth all of this. I have definitely acquired a lot more gray in my once vanity inspiring red hair. So, please, keep us in your prayers. Particularly in the areas of finances and for more patience for me. I have always been thought of as a pretty patient person, but this has really shown me how little I have. I'm use to doing and taking care of things. Having my world spiral out like this and not being able to do anything about it is really difficult for me to deal with. Cliff has been so wonderful though all of this, as have the kids and Cliff's family. I couldn't ask for more love and support. I am very, very grateful for them :) I just despise that my family is in this situation due to me, regardless of the fact that there was nothing I could do to have prevented needing the surgery. And I really detest that there's nothing I can do to make the situation better any time in the foreseeable future. Dealing with the current economy is bad enough, add the fact that I can't even clean and cook, much less work, and it's the stuff of nightmares.

Alright, whining is done. I've discovered that I am as capable of whining annoyingly as anyone else. Another thing I detest. The whining ranks right up there with the depression and crying. I'm not use to disliking my own behavior so much. Thankfully, my family knows that those behaviors are not who I really am and are patient and tolerant with me.

So, what's everyone else been up to?

HUGS,
    Kathy

• smitties
    14 years ago

Oh, it is hot here too. This follows the most gorgeous month of July where there was no day higher the 89!!! I did go out to look at my gardens this morning and found if I was in the shade, the breeze was nice enough to keep me cool so the humidity level must be a bit lower. I was able to withstand 2 hours before I started to sweat so came in. I was able to accomplish alot.

My Zinnias are just beginning to bloom. I planted a lot of new varieties so I am anxious to see how many of those varieties will come up and bloom. Zinnias are one of my favorites too and I love trying new varieties.

I tried to get a picture posted here but ran into a problem of understanding. I am not very competent when it comes to computers so am waiting for my daughter to help me. She has band all afternoon this week so have to pin her down to help one morning.

We also have to get pictures run off for some signs for free kittens. We found some that someone must have dumped along the side of our road. They were playing in the road one night last week so we stopped. It was a mom and her family. We were only able to get three of the 6 or 7 so the others are still roaming. It will probably be harder to get them as the spend more time in the cornfield. I wish we could keep these but we already have two cats and no safe place for these three if we were to keep them. I am posting a sign and putting an ad in the paper. ALL the shelters around here are refusing to take any more cats or kittens as they are full up. These little guys are so loving and cute. I just wish we could have gotten them all. It was easy to get them to come to you at first but then they would want to get back down and run into the cornfield. I even had the mom at one time, (a tiny little thing). I just hate to think people do this kind of thing to animals they no longer want to take responsibility for. We live just outside of town and since it is a college town, when school gets out, this happens. I was warned when we moved out here two years ago. I just hope we can find homes for them cause I don't know what we will do if we don't.

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

(((HUG)))) good to have you back Kathy,,,you can just whine and moan as much as you want!

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Where is everyone? Come out, come out wherever you are! What is everyone up to these days besides being quiet? How are our canine garden helpers doing?

Did I make the game too hard? Do I need to make another one?

Becky

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

okay this is wjhat I haveso far Becky!
    1. astro
    2. flash
    3. call of the wild
    4.'
    5. rabies
    6. dog
    7. bulldog
    . irish setter
    9. terrier
    1. egypt
    13.boxer
    15 max

that's what I have so fr.."L"

• smitties
    14 years ago

Kathy, apparently I was posting at the same time you were so was not able to give you any support in my post so here it is.

I am thinking of you and your family. I know how hard recovery can be and how it can bring you down. A supportive family is an amazing thing. Through my own experiences, I say take anything friends and families can give whether it be words, physical help, meals. There will someday be a time that you can give back. In the meantime, be aware of any services in your community such as help for school supplies and that type of thing. Once again, when you are up and able, you can give back in some way. I know it isn't easy sometimes to accept help but I know if someone is in need and I can give them support in some way, it warms my heart.

Good luck and it is good you can keep us posted as to your progress. Be it slow or not, you will get better and be able to put all this behind you.

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Don't forget you are to email your answers by the 17th when you have answered all that you can.

I've been going to school everyday this week to try and get my room ready. I got moved to a different room so I have to unpack everything. Believe me after 14 years I have accumulated an awful lot of junk! I have no idea what I'll do with it all since this room does not have as much storage space. Maybe I'll just buy some nice storage containers and repack what I won't be using.

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What has happened to our usually lively little group? Are you working on the game? Do I need to start a different one? I feel so lonely here. Am I going to have to tie a pork chop around my neck to get the dog to play with me?

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Hi Becky!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm here, I've just been floating around aimlessly.......
    Ok, actually...I've been super busy making & canning grape jam, lemon marmalade, orange marmalade, salsa & other garden goodies that I haven't been able to post much lately. We had a bushel of grapes on Thursday that I had to make jam out of...and I just got the last batch finished yesterday.
    Whew.
    My fingers will never lose this purple color.
    It's very attractive.
    :O)

My oldest just got back from a week long trip to Oshkosh, WI. He went to the International Pathfinder Camporee. Over 36,000 kids from around the world were there- his group got to hang out with a group from Tokyo. He had a blast. Although...he missed using a REAL potty. LOL His first words were "Boy, you don't know how good a potty - A REAL FLUSHING POTTY - sounds!!!" I guess a week of porta-pottys was an unpleasant thing?! :P I can imagine.....
    ICK.
    But there is talk that the next event will be held in Africa. How exciting! :O) That will make the porta-pottys worth it. LOL!

I started working on your game...and then....I have NO idea what I did with the answers. UGH. I tell you what, though....I'm learning alot! :O)

How is everyone?? How is school going for those that start this week? I know everyone is busy with that. We homeschool year-round, so we are just finishing our year out. We'll start our new year in September, and BOY....do I need a break. I'm sure I didn't think this thing through when I said "Let's do a year-round schedule, kids!" :P
    *mumbling to myself*
    What was I thinking?
    Who knows.

ANYWAY....off to crack the whip...get those kiddos scratching out their spelling words.

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

hmmm, I'll bet Melissa's pretty good at cracking that whip!

OUCH!!! WHADJADOTHATFOR???

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank goodness someone else posted. I was beginning to think I had BO.

School starts for us teachers tomorrow. Wish I could say I was overjoyed. I've been working on and off at school for the past week. I changed rooms this year and I have been unpacking. It's amazing how much junk you can collect in 14 years. I have to wonder how I'm going to make it through the school year though. Just the few hours I worked everyday did me in. I have a feeling it's going to be a really long year.

I wish I would of had someone here to take a picture this afternoon. I layed down on the couch after working at school this afternoon. Of course, Abby, the dog, always has to come and lay on top of me. Five minutes later, Patches, the cat was curled up right next to her and both of them were snoozing away.

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

"passing out brownies and pouring everyone a mint jeewwwlliipppp"...it has been extremely hot, humid, muggy, stick to your skin and curl your hair..HOT! Can you tell I'm not a fan of really hot and humid weather? Anyways, I've been working on getting Sara ready for college. She starts on Thursday. She's excited, which is great because she HATED high school!

Becky I"ve been working on your box.."whistling and looking up at the ceiling"....BUT I will need your mailing addy.

Been working on my gardens in the morning and pulling weeds. My zinnas are gorgeous! I love zinnas! "chomping on a brownie, taking a dainty sip and fanning myself"

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

HeeHee......maybe that's why I have 6 kids, Dan??!

*CRACK*

YeeHaw.

:O)

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, now I have a picture of Bunny in studded leather with accessories that really blows the whole picture of the sweet, innocent little mother of six that I previously had!

It has been hot here too! Of course, anything above 70 is hot to me. But we did get a little bit of rain yesterday evening which saved me from watering. I need to get out and collect seeds this evening.

Linda, pass me a brownie but I think I'll skip the mint julep. Doesn't sound like something I would like. I love zinnias also and didn't get to plant any as I had to cut my WS short due to health problems. All I have are a few volunteers. Lots of red spider zinnia volunteers though. They are about to take over the garden.

Don't forget to email me your answers by 7474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474747474 tomorrow. Sorry, I had to go back to work today and Patches, the cat is wanting some attention. Better give it her.

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

It's all an act, Becky. Just for Dan's sake. :P
    In real life, I'm very shy.....I actually still blush at the oddest things. (like when Nature or Wild is on, and the kids are watching...or Victoria's secret commercials...or even the kids studying about sperm whales or titmice)
    I blush just typing that stuff!
    I'm an enigma.
    LOL!

Oh, Zinnia! I have exactly ONE of those! And I have no idea where it came from! I guess the girls planted it. Or it migrated....or maybe birds helped with that....Hmmmmmm. All I know is, it sprouted up a few weeks back, and I had NO clue what it was (it's in the middle of my canna & widow's tears)...then it bloomed...and I had a DUH! moment. LOL
    But it's pretty! and HUGE! And pretty! :O)

Yes, pass the brownies...and the sweet tea. Gotta have sweet tea in this weather.
    WHEW!

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Don't let her kid you Becky. There's a reason she's called the Bunster, and I've got the video to prove it.

***anyone know how I wound up in shackles again???***

THWACK!!!

• jaleeisa
    14 years ago

Hi all! Sorry I've not been around. I've felt rather out of the loop and haven't wanted to keep taking up thread space with whining.

I have to have another CAT scan to see if the fusion is progressing as well as it looks to be on regular xrays. I'm still in a lot more pain than I should be 90 days after the surgery. My Surgeon thinks that perhaps since the screws they use are rather large and my bones are rather small, that the screws are irritating the underside of the muscles. If the fusion is as progressed as it seems to be, I'll have another, not quite so major, surgery to remove the screws and see if that fixes the problem. If it hasn't progressed far enough, I'll have to wait until it does to have them removed. The CAT scan will also show us if arthritis has settled into the hip they took the donor bone from and if the micro-fractures have healed or if it just keeps re-fracturing. If it has continued to re-fracture, that may become a real problem.

At least with the surgeon being really concerned about this and wanting to know why I'm still in so much pain helps a lot. I was starting to wonder if I was just mentally amplifying the pain or I was addicted to painkillers and my mind just creating a reason for me to need them. I've been off of all meds for about two weeks now. Two weeks of sheer hell. The surgeon told me that no, I wasn't creating a justification for the pills, that he could see in my eyes and face, as well as how I was moving that I'm in a great deal of pain still. He gave me a lessor narcotic painkiller than I've been on. That was a relief. This is mainly to help me sleep at night and for times during the day that the pain just won't stop. He and Cliff both read me a riot over not taking the pills the way it's prescribed. My surgeon assured me that they would keep a close eye on me and how I use the pills and how often. He understands that I'm really scared of being addicted.

So, how is everyone else?

Melissa- I still wanna know where you got those instant chai latte teas that you sent me a while back. Those preserves sound yummy!

Dan- Cliff got me one of the Flat Rate Box shirts that ya'll wear on Wednesday! I kept threatening to steal his and one of his supervisors sent him home with one for me on Wednesday :) I kept telling him I had more to do with FRB's than he does, so I needed a shirt too!

Becky, hows it going? Gosh, I really miss being in such close contact with everyone!

I'm gonna go tend my farms and gardens on facebook and myspace, then go rest with a new book Cliff bought me yesterday.

HUGS to all of you!

Kathy

• smitties
    14 years ago

School started here this week but my huband was not able to go back to work, (he is a high school math teacher). Life turn a strange turn for us when my husband had a bout of mental illness and I had to put him into the hospital on Tuesday. The medicine they were treating him with when it started two weeks ago was not doing anything. He has extreme anxiety and it has been creeping up on him for months. Little things that really didn't click as a big problem. He is doing much better now. I had a hard time typing this about him due to the misconception of mental illness but I am discovering that many people I know suffer silently from it. My husband lost his thyroid to cancer about 5 years ago and a year later, he mother died. That followed with his first bout of depression that was quickly controlled with meds. He went off those two years ago and has been fine. Now we realize the mistake that was. We found out this week that 50% of patients who take the synthetic thyroid medicines suffer this same problem. So glad they warned us. :( Wish our doctor would have suggested a hospital when this started almost three weeks ago. It would have saved my poor husband alot of grief he went through. The hospital gave him an anti anxiety pill as soon as he was admitted and the difference within an hour was amazing. His depression medicine would have taken up to 8 weeks without the additional meds. They are working on adjusting the medicines for him and he should be back home with us on Monday.

I am so glad I have gardening to turn to when I need to just slow down and relax.

Linda, I will be getting that box off to you soon. I am thinking of trying to get it done in the morning and if not, perhaps Monday. Things have cooled down today so it should be better for the plants too.

Kathy, you said it has been 90 days since surgery. Is that right? I can't believe it has been that long already. I am sorry to hear you have so much pain and I hope the doctors can remedy that real soon. It will be nice to have you back in on the action here again.

I hope everyones weekend is off to a good start. Linda, I will let you know when the box gets sent.

Has anyone heard from Mark?

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I hope that everyone is making it through the Dog Days okay. Try and stay cool! No one emailed me with answers to the game.

Smitties, I hope your husband is doing better. I know what you mean about the misconception of mental illness. There still seems to be such a stigma about it and it is much more common than people realize and can be caused by many things. I think most people when they hear the term "mental illness" either immediately think about the more serious types of mental illness or else they think "it's all in their head".

Joan, I will be mailing your boxes this week. Sorry I couldn't make it to the PO Saturday because I was watching my grandson. I'll post confirmation numbers when I do. If you hear scratching and weird noises while you are transporting in the car don't worry. Everything will be fine!

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

hmmm...I've heard that before...better get out the big club Margo!

Becky! I still need your mailing addy! Your box will be going out on Thursday.."smacking down the lid again"....

• ejmoore510
    14 years ago

Margo, I sent you an email. I know we were supposed to ship out by yesterday, however..... THE BOX WAS NOT BIG ENOUGH!!!!!! I'm hoping you'll think this is a good thing!:) So my mission this week is to get a bigger box, repack everything and get it shipped out. I'll post the conf# here as well as send you an email. Is there any day that you won't be available to receive? I can always plan around your schedule. I'm so very sorry about Adrian! It's true still, even in this day and age, that when some people hear "mental illness", they really do get the wrong ideas. Both of you will be in my prayers and hopefully, he'll be right as rain and home very soon!
    Kathy, we miss you and you too are in my prayers! Keep your chin up kiddo! The older I get, the more I truly believe that old saying, "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger." And lady, you are one of the strongest people I know!
    Becky, just take your sweet time. I'm in no hurry at all. Sorry I didn't try the game but I'm up to my eyeballs in tomatoes!!!!! I have canned, frozen, made sauces, grilled and given away to any soul who would taken them! I have to say this is the largest tomato crop I've ever had. I'm getting some okra that the deer didn't eat. And even got a few peas, butterbeans, and green beans before the deer ambushed them. LOL I picked 8 ripe cantelope in one day! Gave some away and the ones we ate were delicious! I hope Becky (booberry) is checking in on this thread. I have Baby Boo pumpkins and WHITE pumpkins that I'm pretty sure she sent me last year! Yeah!
    Those white pumpkins are gonna make great jack o lanterns if I can keep the deer out of them!:)
    Anyway, enough about me. hmmmmm Did I see "boxes" plural on that email Becky??? WOW!! Scratching noises too, huh! Good things I love animals!

Joan

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda, I emailed you my address. Sorry I had completely forgotten that I was receiving a swap box too! Boy, I really must be under a lot of stress. Or maybe it's the new medication.....

Yes Joan, it did say 2 boxes! Because like you one box wasn't big enough. I asked the mailman if he had any bigger ones and he said no. I told them that they needed to get some big enough to flat rate a car! I don't think he thought that was too funny. Of course, that was after I stood in line for 25 minutes at opening time on Monday morning while he dealt with 2 problem customers before me. I guess by then he had lost his sense of humor. I wasn't a real happy camper either, but I kept repeating to myself,"Patience is a virtue. Patience is a virtue."

Technically since Linda did answer some of the questions (and she was the only one) she is the winner of the game. So Linda, send me your address and I'll get your prize out to you.

Becky

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Kathy~ It's Caffe D'Vita that makes the chai tea mixes. I buy them locally from a discount store here, so I"m not sure where you'd be able to pick them up. Walmart *may* have them, I know I've seen their capuccino mixes there, but I really don't know. I don't shop at Walmart unless I absolutely HAVE to. :O)

They do have a website where you can buy them by the case or in bulk- and it's actually pretty cheap. Just have to like the stuff a whole lot. LOL
    I'll put a link to their catalog at the bottom for you.