Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

o
new: fotess: angels in august

Posted by xiangirl 4 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 21:42

Photobucket

Angels in August
1. Two kinds of "angel" seeds-'angel' in the name of the seeds, the flower reminds you of angels or it's somehow related to angels, heaven, etc.
2. One gardening angel item-statue, decoration, garden prayer, notecards, tea towel, ornament (remember...we upcycle) ...doesn't have to be big or expensive.

--Please sign up by 8/5/12.
--Please send your package by 8/17/12 (Friday) and use a tracking number. Depending on what you choose, a small flat rate box is probably your best bet. If you go to the USPS website and use Click-n-Ship the Confirmation Number is free. You print off your own label, tape it on and drop it in your mailbox. You can let the letter carrier pick it up or drop it in any mailbox. Be sure the date you choose when you fill out the form on the computer is the date you mail it. My USPS takes this very seriously.
--Please post when when you receive your swap and what you received. If, for example, Ann sends Hollyhock seeds to Jane because the blooms remind her of angels wings...include that in the post.
--Even if you're too busy canning tomatoes and killing grasshoppers to swap...come by for the game! Will post an Angel Game so keep checking!

If I missed anything be sure and let me know!
Heidi

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new: fotess: angels in august

Heidi, you did a wonderful job with the idea for this and the posting. I am happy to be the first one to sign up!
Thanks for being our swap hostess for the month of August.

Jeanne

o

• Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 10:54

Count me in too, Heidi!
Shirley!

o

I'm in. Margo

o

Super cute idea! Sign me up please :)
vina

o

Alright! We're on our way! My mother saw a snake in the garden last night, turned and fell over a garden container. She broke her right elbow. She has surgery tomorrow. They will put in a metal plate. The muscle that starts at the elbow and goes up toward the shoulder is no longer attached so they have to fix that. I'm putting the angels to work right away--guarding my mom. Dad got the snake--it's now in 12 pieces.
Heidi

o

This is a cute idea for a swap, but right now I'm still lurking.

Goodness Heidi! I always considered snakes lucky in the garden. Hope the surgery goes well for your Mom.

o

Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 8:23

Morning!
Heidi, sending good thoughts out for your Mom!
Have a great day, everyone!
Shirley!

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 22:05

So sorry to hear about your mom, Heidi. Hope she is on the mend quickly. Sorry the snake gave her such a fright. They can be startling when you don't expect them, but I love them anyway. I often stop to move them out of the road. Turtles, too.

I've been lurking on this thread, too. Trying to figure if I can manage this one. I would need to order seeds to send. I will be traveling for intense field work from Aug 5 thru the 17th or so. Could be tricky... Ahhh, field work!

Katie

o

Sorry to hear about your mom.

Count me in .

o

Sorry to hear about your mom.

Count me in .

o

Count me in also Heidi.

Ellie

o

I'm in on this one. This is right up my ally.
gmom

o

I'm not participating this time but have a great swap.
I hope your mom can return to her garden soon!
Alana

o

Heidi, sorry to hear your mom took quite a spill. Hope she recovers quickly and without any more problems.

Looks like this swap is well on the way and there is still time to sign up.

Watching the Olympics today but really have to get outside. The weather has finally taken a heat break and we had some rain so the ground is probably soft enough to get the weeds out. It's been a long time since I have been able to get out there so there is plenty of work to get done.

Good weekend to all. Margo

o

Heidi, I hope your mom recovers quickly.

Margo, good luck gardening. I won't do much in my garden until about September. With my eye surgeries and the hot weather, forget it! I water once a day with the hose if we don't get rain. Fortunately some thunder storms have been showing up lately. I do need to check if there are more seeds to harvest. (I'll put that on my to-do list!)

I really enjoyed the opening cermonies for the Olympics, especially the segment with James Bond and the Queen. No one would ever have anticipated that! I'll be watching lots of TV for the next few weeks.

Jeanne

o

Hi All!
Mom got through her surgery yesterday and has the plate in her arm. They'll keep it immobile for a week, she'll go get the stitches out and no cast because they don't want the elbow to freeze up. She is happy and doing well, staying ahead of the pain. She's type I diabetic and the day of the surgery her blood sugar stayed even--had to be the prayers. If blood sugar is low a person usually eats or drinks something, but they can't eat or drink anything 12 hours before the surgery or they postpone surgery. If blood sugar is high the body doesn't heal (although to be high for a short time to get the surgery done would be okay). God had it all figured out--thanks to he angels! She is also learning to do things left-handed and everyone has a good snake story to share which keeps her laughing! Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

Heidi

o

Heidi,

That darn snake!!!! But the Angels have taken over!! Wishing your Mom well!!

Love your theme for the month....count me in!!

Have a lovely weekend!!

Annie

o

Happy your Mom's surgery turned out fine. My Dad was a diabetic so I know what all the worries were. I hate snakes too but in 10 years I have never seen a snake at this house. My sons when they were small, they used to catch garter snakes and dangle them in front of me. Ugh! Have a wonderful Sunday everyone!

Ellie

o

It's looking good! Here's our list so far:
gmom2-6boys Sharon
farmergirl2009 Ellie
lavenderpyly
smitties Margo
sjc48 Shirley
kchd Katie
sandlapper rose Jeanne
flowergirl34 Vina
xiangirl Heidi
canyonwind Annie

Anybody else having fun checking out seeds with the name Angel in them? My "five and dime store" in town had their seeds all boxed up 50% off. I had to check them out. Lots of fun. I need more seeds like I need...you already know!
Keep America Beautiful is having a Planting Day in the fall, a new program they are rolling out. They are asking affiliates to encourage local groups to plant flowers. I'm making up seed packets to give to elementary and middle school kids, talk about fall planting vs. spring planting, natives, perennials vs. annuals, etc. It's so much fun.
Heidi

o

Hi Heidi :) Hope your mom recovers quickly and glad the surgery and her sugar levels during it went well!

How do I join this group?...this sounds like a good idea and I'd like to be a part of it but is there anything I need to do to be a member?...I'm not sure how these groups work on this site...I wanted to join earlier but I was kinda shy in asking...please let me know...thanks bunches, Dianne

o

Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 18:23

Hi Dianne, Welcome! In order to participate in this swap, you'll need to join FOTESS, which stands for Friends of the Earth Simple Swaps. If you are interested in finding out more about membership, contact Jeanne (sandlapper_rose) and Shirley (sjc48) for details.

I ordered some seeds for this swap. I hope they get here before I have to go out of town. Eeek!

Katie

o

Diane,
By e-mail
If you will send me your real name, GardenWeb name, e-mail address, and how long you have been a member of GardenWeb I will get back in touch with you more specifically about becoming a member. We are simply looking to see that you have been a member of GardenWeb for some time and not totally brand new (there is a way to join with a sponsor if you are new, but we'll discuss all that once I hear from you.) Members must be adults and live in the U.S. and agree to follow the few rules we set up for this group. I will send them to you by e-mail after I hear from you.

Same thing for lavenderpyly. You can't be in the swap until you are approved for membership. I'll be happy to hear from both of you.

Jeanne

o

Thanks Jeanne...I sent you an email :)

o

Afternoon!
I may have to bow out of this swap. I am having a hard time coming up with angel seeds. So far, I've only had 2 plants even go to seed. I'll look around and see if I can order something in time.

I thought this would be easy and its a toughie :)
vina

o

Vina, I think creativity will be acceptable as I don't think all of us necessarily have seeds with "angel" in it but may have some that remind us of angels or maybe something like coreopsis Heavens gate. Think creative. I know as far as I am concerned, any seed is a good seed for my garden. :)

Hope you can stay. Margo

o

Hey all!
Thanks Margo! I think I spoke too soon. Just went to one of my favorite online seed stores and bought some cuties for this swap. :)Can't wait to get them. Like I need another reason to shop, lol! :) Still IN.

Shirley, I've been meaning to post a picture of the most beautiful partridge pea plant in the world. The little baby you sent me last year has gone above and beyond and grown into the most BEAUTIFUL plant! It has re-seeded everywhere, and its one of those plants where I say the more the merrier :)

I'll take a pic of it soon and post it. :)
vina

o

Please don't bow out or not sign up because the name doesn't have angel. You also shouldn't have to shell out big bucks just to play and have fun. Use all the creative forces of the universe--that can be part of the fun, too. Think:
angel, lucifer, heaven, clouds, spirit, prayer, joy, Christmas, gold, peace, silver, Easter...
If hollyhocks remind you of angels twirling in full skirts...send those! If you have:
a seed variety named 'gold sunset',
Christmas cactus,
crocosmia lucifer,
you get the idea. It can be a stretch--we won't mind!
Heidi

o

Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 21:04

Drat! Vina, I pulled all my PPs out last fall-double drat. I WSed some more this winter, and they are blooming like crazy- yes, I'm leaving them right where they are this fall!

I'm glad they did well for you! Have you seen any butterflies around them? We went to an arboritum/gardens down here in Dayton, and they had Partridge Peas all over the place in the Kid's Garden! I've never seen them anywhere other than in my raised bed.

I plan on being home Thursday; will miss the granddaughters but looking forward to a little "quietness!!"
Shirley!

o

Morning!

I hope this comes through okay...the beautiful Partridge Pea :)

o
RE: the rocks...

And the rocks behind the Partridge Pea are about 4 1/2 feet high. That is a BIG PEA :D

THANKS AGAIN SHIRLEY!!!
vina

o

Those are just beautiful :)

o

We have a new member - let's all welcome Dianne (MoonFire)!
Heidi, it is fine to include her in the swap. I haven't heard from the other person who was interested.

That Partridge Pea plant is wonderful!

Glad we can be creative about how our seeds relate to the word "angel" because I need to be. LOL

I just cancelled my second cataract surgery which was supposed to be on Monday. My first eye that had the surgery is still bothering me. I am so ready for it to get back to normal! Apparently I am in the very small percentage of people who don't do well with this surgery.

Jeanne

o

Thanks bunches ya'll :) hehe I'm smiling from the inside out lol... i get to stretch my imagination a little now so gives me something to think about while i'm doing the mundane chores of dishes and laundry and other housecleaning...a lot of times instead of singing or humming while i work i think to myself hahhaha... my kids just ignore it these days when i forget and think out loud ...they used to look at me crazy but i told them 1 day they will be loony like me *snickers*

Jeanne thanks for sponsoring me and hope your eyes get better soon...adding you to my prayer list if that's ok with you :)

o

We got rain!!! Two nights ago we got 2" and I'm not sure about last night, but it was a slow even rain that would soak in. Two nights ago we also got hail and the beans and vines got some shredding. The flowers seemed to hold their own. This weekend it's supposed to hit a high of 85 on Saturday. (Of course if you want a career where you can lie and get away with it...be a weatherman. ha) I just got last month's water bill so it makes me double happy to have rain! Thanks, rain angels!
Heidi

o

Ready for a game! Let's play.
Each of these words/phrases has something to do with angels. Each day I'll add a letter. When you have them all figured out post it on the thread and if you're correct...you win!
GW doesn't like the spaces I put in between the words so when you see this symbol / it means a new word starts. It also didn't like my apostrophe in #12 so I took it out. Some of you won't notice and those who are like me will want to correct it with a black magic marker!

1. _ A _ _ _ _ _
2. _ _ _ _ _ _ A _
3. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
4. _ _ _ A _ _ _ _
5. _ _ _ _ A _ _
6. A _ _ _ A _ _ _ _
7. _ _ _ _ _ _ / A _ _ _ _ _
8. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ / A _ _ _ _ _
9. _ _ _ _ _ /A _ _ _ _ _
10. _ _ A _ _ _ A _ /A _ _ _ _ _
11. A _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ A _ _ _ A
12. A _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _
13. _ _ _ _ / A _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ A _ _ A
14. _ _ _ _ _ _ A _ _ _ A
15. A _ _ _ _ / _ A _ _ / _ _ A _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ A _ _
16. A _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ A
17. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ A _ _ A / A _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
18. _ _ _ _ _ A _ _ _ _ _ / A _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _
19. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ A / _ _ _ _ _ _ / A _ _ _ _
20. _ _ _ _ _ _ A / A _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _

o

Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 19:37

Welcome Diane! Glad to have you join us! Hope you enjoy the swaps!

Vina, thanks for posting the pic of the Partridge Pea! It is beautiful! As I said, I'm going to leave mine inground this fall, and hopefully, mine will look like that next year. Mine is big and blooming beautifully, but not that good! My daughter was impressed!

Well, gotta unpack and give the cats some attention.
Oh, Heidi, as soon as I get a good night's sleep in my own bed, I'll start working on the game, what a great idea!

Later!
Shirley!

o

Glad you got back home safely, Shirley. Heidi, you will have us exercising our brain this month, that's for sure. How creative!

Dianne, yes, it would be so nice to be on your prayer list that my eye will go back to normal. If I didn't already say this at least my vision is fine. This was my first time trying to thread my sewing machine since I had the surgery and that thread went right through without a problem! Just want this irritated feeling to go away. It wasn't there before the surgery and I don't want it to linger, that's for sure!

Hello to everyone else, too!

Jeanne

o

Happy Friday to everyone! Yipee only 2 more weeks of school. The yard looks like a jungle with weeds. It has been really neglected since I started school.

Welcome Dianne....you will love this swap and become addicted to swaping every month.

I am really going to have to stretch my imagination on these angle seeds also. I will see what I can come up with. Getting late and I do need some beauty rest.

Ellie

o

Does a second letter help? Here's an E!

1. _ A _ _ _ E _
2. _ _ _ _ _ _ A _
3. _ _ E _ _ _ _ _
4. _ E _ A _ _ _ _
5. _ _ _ _ A E _
6. A _ _ _ A _ _ E _
7. _ _ _ _ _ _ / A _ _ E _ _
8. _ _ _ _ _ _ E _ _ _ _ / A _ _ E _ _
9. E _ E _ _ / A _ _ E _ _
10. _ _ A _ _ _ A _ / A _ _ E _ _
11. A _ _ E _ / _ _ _ _ _ E _ / _ A _ _ _ A
12. A _ _ E _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _
13. _ _ _ E / A _ _ E _ / _ _ _ _ A _ _ A
14. _ _ _ _ _ _ A _ _ _ A
15. A _ _ _ _ / _ A _ _ / _ _ A _ _ E _ _ _ / _ _ _ A _ _
16. A _ _ E _ / _ E _ _ E _ / _ _ _ _ A
17. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ A _ _ A / A _ _ E _ / _ _ _ _ _
18. _ _ _ _ _ A _ _ _ _ _ / A _ _ E _ / _ _ _ _ _
19. _ _ _ _ E _ _ A / _ _ _ _ E _ / A _ _ E _
20. _ E _ _ _ _ A / A _ _ E _ / _ _ _ _

o

Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 22:25

Hi everyone. The hot & humid days are in full swing in MS, but at least we are not continuing with the 100' F days we saw in July. Tomorrow I leave (with husband) on a work trip, headed back to Door Co. WI to tear down & remove our field equipment of the season, and conduct vegetation surveys. We could be gone for as long as Aug 18th. It is all weather dependent, since we will be working on Lake Michigan, and nasty weather is not to be taken lightly. I ordered seeds for this swap, and anticipated them arriving by today, but they did not. #CURSES!# I sure hope I'm back before the mailing deadline, tho there is a chance I might not. Heidi, if you want to remove me due to that, I will understand.

I spent today madly rushing around, trying to get ready for going out of town. We have 2 cats & a dog to get ready for pet sitting. Plus yard work and house work galore. Imagine what my 1 acre yard looks like when I return home after 2 wks of being gone... LOL. I also had a bunch of plants to plant out in the beds (including wild senna & beardtongue - Thank you, Shirley!), plus some seedlings in little 6-packs that needed to be potted up into bigger pots and toted over to what I call "the nursery." The "nursery" is my set up of 2 pallets turned into tables, with an automatic sprinkler, in semi shade. It keeps my little plants watered and sheltered while I am out of town during the busy summer months. Haha, life as a traveling gardener!

I may be missing-in-action the next 7-10 days. I can keep up with posts to the thread fairly easily, because I get replies sent via email to my smartphone. But the +12 hr field days that are in store for me will likely keep me from responding. At least I will have Sunday and Monday to leisurely read posts & respond during the 17 hr drive up - - hahaha.

Vina, your partridge pea is beautiful! I have a couple I transplanted to my beds last month. It grows quite commonly around here. If anyone is dying for plants or seeds, please let me know. I would be happy to hook you up! Not sure how well it would do to ship a partridge pea plant. Vina & Shirley, can you speak to that?

Heidi, I actually printed off your puzzle and am bringing it with me on my trip. I can fill in letters and try to figure it out if we have any down time. And btw, that white coneflower *finally* turned brown. It is not dry yet, but is sitting in a bowl and will be ready once I return home :) YAY!

Jeanne, I have been thinking about you, and continue to send healing & peaceful thoughts your way.

Best wishes to all,
Katie

o

Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 9:53

Good Morning! And Happy Birthday to FOTESS member Becky/booberry! Hope you have a great day!

Margo, are you getting rain down there south of Toledo? It started raining here late yesterday afternoon and has continued off and on ever since! I am very pleased!

Katie, I mailed the PP plants to Vina last year, with no problems. I'm leaving mine in the ground this year, hopefully they will reseed like Vina's did. But just in case, I might snag a few plants from you next spring.

My Wild Senna is blooming like crazy and the bees love it! And that's a good thing, since I'm not getting many butterflies this year.

Lots of great lighthouses in Door County, Katie!

Heidi, "heaven" isn't one of the words? What am I missing here? AGGGGHHH!

I'm off on another lighthouse excursion tomorrow, going up to Mackinac to get the lights out in the Straits. I'm taking the words with me too! Can't let this beat me!

Have a great week, everyone; safe journey, Katie!
Shirley!

o

Thanks all for such warm welcomes :) I already feel at home here but can't wait til i get to know everyone ...it was supposed to rain here this weekend and hasn't yet :( ...just thundered bad and clouded up ...what's that about? lol...haven't had much time to work on the puzzle but been lookin at it here and there and i'm stumped lol...hope ya'll have had a good weekend so far, Dianne

o

Welcome Dianne to FOTESS!!!

Katie, safe travels!! I would love to send you postage for some Partridge Pea plants. I have never heard of PP. Shirley, did you dig up and send to Vina in the Fall or Spring????

Shirley, I love Mac Island....charming! I need to get back their one of these days. Have you ever had tea at the Grand Hotel?? It is simply lovely!

Happy Sunday!

Annie

o

Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 12:00

Annie, this will be my first trip to Mackinac. I personally don't want to go over to the island, it's not first on my list of things to do, but everybody else wants to go, so I will probably end up there. On a positive note, I might be able to get different kinds of shots of some of the lighthouses out in the eastern straits!

And no, I don't want to cross that #@&%$@ bridge! I don't even want to take pictures of it. And both boat tours go under the bridge; they seemed to think it was a big deal, something that would excite everyone. Well, actually, NO! The only way I'm ever going to get to the UP is by way of Wisconsin! or a boat to St. Ignace.

I'm pretty sure I sent the PPs in late spring, but maybe Vina could tell us for sure. They were WSed plants, I scooped them out of the gallon milk jug to mail.

Okay, more cleaning, more packing, more apologizing to the cats for leaving them AGAIN!!
Shirley!

o

Clarification of the Game:
When you have figured out all 20, post them to this thread. The first one to post all the correct answers is the winner! I see you're all working on it.

We're up to letter 3!

1. _ A _ _ _ E _
2. _ _ _ _ _ _ A _
3. _ _ E _ _ _ _ _
4. _ E _ A _ _ _ _
5. _ _ _ _ A E _
6. A _ _ _ A N _ E _
7. _ _ _ _ _ _ / A N _ E _ _
8. _ _ N _ _ _ E _ _ N _ / A N _ E _ _
9. E _ E _ _ / A N _ E _ _
10. _ _ A _ _ _ A N / A N _ E _ _
11. A N _ E _ / _ _ _ _ _ E _ / _ A _ _ _ A
12. A N _ E _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _
13. _ _ _ E / A N _ E _ / _ _ _ _ A _ _ A
14. _ _ _ _ _ _ A N _ _ A
15. A N _ E _ / _ A _ _ / _ _ A _ _ E _ _ _ / _ _ _ A _ _
16. A N _ E _ / _ E _ _ E _ / _ _ _ _ A
17. _ _ _ _ N _ _ / _ _ _ _ N A _ _ A / A N _ E _ / _ _ _ _ _
18. _ _ _ _ _ A N _ _ _ _ / A N _ E _ / _ _ N _ _
19. _ _ _ _ E _ _ A / _ _ _ _ E N / A N _ E _
20. _ E _ _ N _ A / A N _ E _ / _ _ N _

o

If you know anyone who hasn't signed up please ask them to post. I'm going to have my 12-year-old draw names for the exchange. She will like that!
We got a break in the heat yesterday. It only hit 85 and we loved it. Also got a little rain this last week (and a little hail). I'm thankful for the rain...the damaged plants can grow back--they weren't wiped out.
Is partridg pea the same thing as sweet pea?

List of Participants:

gmom2-6boys Sharon
farmergirl2009 Ellie
smitties Margo
sjc48 Shirley
sandlapper rose Jeanne
flowergirl34 Vina
xiangirl Heidi
canyonwind Annie
moonfire Dianne

o

Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 15:59

Partridge pea (Chamaecrista fasciculata) is a lovely bush-like plant native to the eastern US. It is a legume and is in the Pea family, but is different than sweet pea. It is a great plant for wildlife, being good for birds, butterflies, and other species. It's a fun plant!

Katie

Here is a link that might be useful: Partridge pea

o

Anyone going to Mackinaw should stop by and say "HI". I'm 30 miles south of Mackinaw on US23.
gmom

o

Here's today's letter!

1. _ A _ R _ E _
2. _ _ _ _ R _ A _
3. _ _ E R _ _ _ _
4. _ E R A _ _ _ _
5. _ _ _ _ A E _
6. A R _ _ A N _ E _
8. _ _ N _ _ _ E R _ N _ / A N _ E _ _
10. _ _ A R _ _ A N / A N _ E _ _
11. A N _ E _ / _ R _ _ _ E _ / _ A _ _ R A
12. A N _ E _ _ / _ _ _ _ R / _ _ _ _ _
13. _ _ _ E / A N _ E _ / _ _ _ _ A R _ A
14. _ R _ _ _ _ A N _ _ A
15. A N _ E _ / _ A _ R / _ _ A _ _ E _ _ _ / _ _ _ A _ _
17. _ _ _ _ N _ _ / _ _ R _ N A R _ A / A N _ E _ / _ _ _ _ _
19. _ _ _ _ E R _ A / _ _ _ _ E N / A N _ E _
20. _ E _ _ N _ A / A N _ E _ / _ _ N _

o

Hey all!

Shirley you are correct! You mailed me the Partridge Pea in late spring. It really is a beautiful plant! I had a couple stray babies that I put in the Plant Swap for the County Fair this year. They went so fast! Have a super time on your trip!

Katie, have a terrific work trip! It sounds like fun :)

Heidi, can't wait for partners! :)

Have a great day!
vina

o

Here we go! Another letter to solve this!

1. _ A B R _ E _
2. _ _ _ _ R _ A _
3. _ _ E R _ B _ _
4. _ E R A _ _ _ _
5. _ _ _ _ A E _
6. A R _ _ A N _ E _
12. A N _ E _ _ / _ _ _ _ R / _ _ _ _ _
13. B _ _ E / A N _ E _ / _ _ _ _ A R _ A
14. B R _ _ _ _ A N _ _ A
15. A N _ E _ / _ A _ R / _ _ A _ _ E _ _ _ / _ _ _ A _ _
17. _ _ _ _ N _ _ / _ _ R _ N A R _ A / A N _ E _ / B _ _ _ _
19. _ _ _ _ E R _ A / _ _ _ _ E N / A N _ E _
20. B E _ _ N _ A / A N _ E _ / _ _ N _

o

I've been watching for a list of partners as the sign ups were until the 5th. Did I miss something?

I am waiting for word about some tests my daughter had and if she will be needing surgery. My package is ready to go so I don't have to worry about it if she does have surgery. She had an ultrasound of her ovaries today, apparently to see how large a cyst is that they have discovered. She said they spent a long time looking at her uterus which has be extremely concerned. She is to find out what they have discovered tomorrow so please keep her in your prayers.

Margo

o

PARTNERS!

Sharon Dianne
Ellie Annie
Margo Jeanne
Shirley Vina
Heidi Katie

So...for example--Sharon sends to Dianne and Dianne sends to Sharon.
I was waiting a couple days to see if FOTESS got a new member. Maybe the next swap!
Heidi

o

I may have to change partner lists so don't pack anything up yet. I'm waiting to hear from the 'powers that be.' Thank you for your patience with me.
Heidi

o

Morning!

No problem Heidi! My seeds haven't come in yet for this swap anyway. So I have nothing to pack up yet, lol :)

Margo, I can't believe they are making you daughter wait for those results! That has to be torture for her. Where I have ultrasounds they keep you there in a waiting room after you have your procedures and go over your results about 20 minutes later. Sending you and her big hugs (((((( ))))))). She'll be in my prayers.

Talk to you later!
vina

o

Vina, that is what worries me. They asked her what side the cyst was on but they had not told her. After he was done, he told her he was going to get the ct to check it. I would think if the cyst was there, he would know what side it was on through the ultrasound. No word as of yet so I am keeping my prayers going.

Margo

o

Margo,

You and your daughter are in my prayers!!!!!!

Annie

o

Margo,
I hope everything turns out fine for your daughter. I found out that ovarian cysts are pretty common and usually go away on their own so hopefully it is that kind. Let us know what you find out and we'll keep her in our prayers. It is very upsetting when anything impacts our "children" -that's for sure!

Heidi,
You are doing a fantastic job being hostess for this swap so thank you so much for stepping in for the month. It's a great theme and you are staying very organized with everything, not to mention coming up with a very creative game!

A few "housekeeping" issues that I wanted to mention before I forget. First of all some of you may remember that when we set up this group, we said that if someone is fairly new to GardenWeb or does not have any (or enough) positive feedback from other GardenWeb swaps, that they can join if there is a sponsor for them. I think we are in need of 2 or 3 members to volunteer to be placed on a sponsor list just so Shirley and I will know who is willing to do that for a new member. I sponsored our new member, Dianne. The commitment you make as a sponsor is to one new memeber who is assigned to you and your duty is to send the package to the newcomer's swap partner if she does not. It's unlikley and would happen only one time, but that's the commitment you make. We do this so no one will be left without receiving a package. If anyone - new or experienced - can't send on time and there is an emergency, just let the swap hostess and your partner know about it, we are not going to be totally unreasonable on the date you send out. On the other hand, groups have rules - don't be very late sending and totally disregard the rules of the swap because some people are really anticipating the arrival of their swap package and it is unfair to keep them waiting a long time.

I want to mention, too, that we set up our rules anticipating that members would participate in at least 2-3 swaps per year. Some members join every month - or almost every month - and you are not required to do that much, but if you have not been joining in lately, keep in mind that you agreed to participate to that level.

Okay, that's sort of it for "housekeeping." My eye is doing better so I hope I will be back to normal really soon. I'm so glad I cancelled the second surgery or I would be "only 2 days into recovery time" from that. I will wait a bit before rescheduling it. As it is, I'm trying to fit in visits to other doctors and dental appointments and we all know, our bodies can only handle so much at one time! LOL

Jeanne

o

So Partner Update--they will stand as previously posted.
Thanks for the Housekeeping Jeanne.

Here is Letter #6.
1. _ A B R _ E _
2. _ _ _ _ R _ A _
3. _ _ E R _ B _ _
4. _ E R A P _ _ _
5. _ _ _ _ A E _
6. A R _ _ A N _ E _
12. A N _ E _ _ / _ _ _ _ R / P _ P P _
13. B _ _ E / A N _ E _ / _ _ _ _ A R _ A
14. B R _ _ _ _ A N _ _ A
15. A N _ _ _ / _ A _ R / _ _ A _ _ E _ _ _ / _ _ _ A _ _
17. _ _ _ _ N _ _ / _ _ R _ N A R _ A / A N _ E _ / B _ _ _ _
19. P _ _ _ E R _ A / _ _ _ _ E N / A N _ E _

o

Jeanne and Shirley,

Happy to help out! Please put my name on the sponsor list! And Jeanne, I am so happy your eye is much improved!

Happy Wednesday to all!

Annie

o

Thanks so much, Annie!

Heidi, those extra letters are helping. I have four of them figured out now. I'll keeping thinking and maybe more will come to me. How is everyone else doing on the game?

Once again we got some rain this week so that has been good. It even cooled off a little for a few days, but it sure feels like it's starting to go back up. I haven't done a thing in my garden other than water it. Hopefully I can clear out the weeds and trim things back in September. I had made pretty good progress in the spring, but it's mostly undone by now.

Jeanne

o

Thanks for all your prayers. Still no answer other than we know she does not need surgery at this time since the ultrasound shows nothing. Poor thing is still bloated and looks six months pregnant and although she is not, has not had a monthly since March. Other issues continue as well. She is now going for a second opinion. It is ridiculous and sometimes she is so bloated, she feels she will pop.

I have Jeanne's address so will be working on my last project and get it mailed.

Margo

o

Hope this helps!

1. _ A B R _ E _
2. _ _ _ _ R _ A _
3. _ _ E R _ B _ _
4. S E R A P _ _ _
5. _ _ _ _ A E _
6. A R _ _ A N _ E _
7. _ _ _ _ _ _ / A N _ E _ S
8. _ _ N _ _ _ E R _ N _ / A N _ E _
9. E _ E _ _ / A N _ E _ S
10. _ _ A R _ _ A N / A N _ E _ S
12. A N _ E _ S / _ _ _ _ R / P _ P P _
13. B _ _ E / A N _ E _ / _ _ S _ A R _ A
14. B R _ _ S _ A N S _ A
15. A N _ _ _ / _ A _ R / S _ A _ _ E _ _ _ / S _ _ A S _
17. _ _ _ _ N _ S / _ _ R _ N A R _ A / A N _ E _ / B _ _ _ _
18. S _ _ _ _ A N _ _ _ S / A N _ E _ / _ _ N _ S
19. P _ _ _ E R _ A / _ _ _ _ E N / A N _ E _

o

I got one more of the angels, Heidi! Hopefully we'll all jump in better once a few more clues get posted.
Jeanne

o

Hi all, I have applied to be a member of FOTESS.

What a fun theme for this month! I have been enjoying
reading all of the posts. And what a fun game!

My name is Rena' and I have been an avid gardener for 8-9 years. I live in central Louisiana but was born in New Mexico. I am 38 years old, have 5 children and a husband.
Was sick most of my life and in a wheelchair and bedridden for much of it. I am optimistic by nature. I have loved plants since I was a teenager. I used to spend every extra dollar on plants (yep, as a teenager).

Because I can now walk, talk, read and see colors I am ridiculously ecstatic all of the time. My over excitement often gets on others nerves if they don't know me and know why I am over the top excited 24/7. At the same time I am shy in person as I constantly use the wrong words for the wrong thing. lol So I am self conscious about that and my memory is still lacking. I love the forums as they are not IM posted real time so I can take my time to type the messages until they sound right.

I 1st started showing symptoms around the age of 12 or so and at the age of 16 the symptoms were more pronounced. At age 25 after the birth of my 2nd child I became extremely sick 3 days post partum and that was when my seizures 1st started.
In & out of the hospital for years until 8 years ago. May 7 of this year made 8 years that I have been seizure free (no meds.) and made a wonderful recovery. MS was the culprit.

I've learned to really live every day as if it were going to be my last. Love the things that really matter, my kids will remember me lying in the grass with a magnifying glass with them looking at bugs far better than if my house is spotless. I've learned to have a deep compassion for people especially with diseases or injuries that affect the brain. And to know that every day that I wake up walking, talking and understanding is a blessing from the Lord not to be taken lightly.

I am hoping to make friends that share my plant addiction lol. And wanted you all to know a little about me. How can we be friends if we know nothing about one another?!

I hope everyone has a safe and wonderful weekend.

Rena' (pronounced Renee)

o

Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 10:33

Good Morning!
Rena', how inspiring! Thank you for posting!

Margo, sending lots of prayers out for your daughter and you!

Vina, I see we are partners, YEA! I'll get busy putting your package together; I can't find the seeds I want, may have to get "creative"!!

Heidi, I've got 4 words too!

The lighthouse excursion was just excellent - we got 20 lights! 15 lighthouses, 2 D-9s and 3 range lights! Whooo Hooo! The mini cruises out into the Straits were great, those shoal/reef lights are awesome, HUGE!! And yes, I took pics of the Mackinac Bridge - it was amazing, especially at night!

We came home down Rt 23, along Lake Huron and got 4 lighthouses, including one of the "Poe" light at Presque Isle. This one made the trip for me!

This pic is of the Forty Mile Point lighthouse, which is about 35-40 miles south of Mackinac on Rt. 23. Sharon/gmom, is this anywhere near you?

We got lots of rain while I was gone, YEA, and it looks like we're getting more today! This is a good thing!
Talk to ya all later!
Shirley!

o

Shirley, you went right by my house. I'm 10 north of 40Mile point. Beautiful trip you had and I live with this every day!
Rena' Welcome to our group. That's an encouraging story. What a house full.
I'm ready to mail but Diane needs to send her addy.
Have a great dat!
gmom

o

This is my kind of vacation--you travel and I get to see the pictures. Beautiful.
Welcome Rena!

1. _ A B R _ E _
2. _ M M _ R _ A _
3. _ _ E R _ B _ M
4. S E R A P _ _ M
5. M _ _ _ A E _
6. A R _ _ A N _ E _
7. M _ _ _ _ _ / A N _ E _ S
8. M _ N _ S _ E R _ N _ / A N _ E _ S
9. E _ E _ _ / A N _ E _ S
11. A N _ E _ / _ R _ M _ E _ / _ A _ _ R A
14. B R _ _ S M A N S _ A
15. A N _ _ _ / _ A _ R / S _ A _ _ E _ _ _ / S _ _ A S _
17. _ _ _ _ N _ S / _ _ R _ N A R _ A / A N _ E _ / B _ _ S _
18. S _ _ _ _ A N _ _ _ S / A N _ E _ / _ _ N _ S
19. P _ _ M E R _ A / _ _ _ _ E N / A N _ E _

o

Shirley,
How wonderful for you to see all those lighthouses. I have seen very few in person, but they are so beautiful. I love pictures of them.

Now - for the news - we have 2 additional new members!

That makes 3 new members this month because I already weclomed Dianne (moonfire). I am her sponsor.
Our other two new members are Rena' (gardenofeden777) who is sponsored by Annie and Keyla (lavenderpyly) who is sponsored by Shirley.

We are so happy to have all of you in the group. Now all of you are ready to sign up for future swaps! You will love swapping with us and we try to keep the cost down and recycle, reuse, etc. It's a very fun group and you can see we have games, too.

Heidi, time for me to see if I can figure out more of the angels.

Sharon, I will be happy to send Dianne's address to you in case she doesn't see this. I will be updating the membership list soon so everyone in the group will have it.

Jeanne

o

I guessed one more angel, Heidi, but many more to go!
Jeanne

o

Hey Sharon...I couldn't get the email we were chatting in to open for me so I sent you an email from garden web here...hope you get it and sorry for taking so long to reply back...thought i sent it to you but guess it didn't go thru...
Have a good time when you go into the city and be safe :)

Welcome to our new ones...nice to meet you Rena and I am amazed by your history and your willpower and strength...it takes a strong person and a lot of faith sometimes...I have some miracle stories also (not about me but about 1 of my daughters) that I may share with you some day :)

Hi Keyla :) Good to see you here...I know we've traded before and it's nice to see a familiar name new here with me lol

Jeanne, so glad your eye is doing better :) and thanks for sending Sharon my address if she doesn't receive my email:)

Margo, I'm adding you and your daughter to my prayer list...hope everything turns out well and even tho I may not chat a lot I'll try to get back here to at least read about her progress and results!...sometimes I get so busy I only have time to read but don't have the time to respond...usually when I get started I get way chatty lol and a minute turns into 10 for me hahaaha

Shirley, LOVE the lighthouse...oh some day i'd love to travel the world and meet all my garden neighbors lol ...one of my daughters has a penpal in England...the penpal sent her a postcard from there and my daughter was so excited about it...she wants to send her something back but she says our area is so boring...I explained to her that it's only boring to her because she is used to being here and may not pay attention to the beauty around her...every place has its own beauty and wonders...I assured her that her friend in England would love something from here because she doesn't get to see it all the time and it would be something new for her also...since i've been trying to learn the garden thing i've seen more beauty around me than i saw before...i realize it's because i took it for granted and just overlooked it...there is a beautiful swamp here that is just awesome to look at in the mornings with it's different swamp plants blooming and all...i've lived here all my life except when i was military and never once noticed it...oh how much i've been missing!

o

Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 21:55

Welcome Dianne, Rena' and Keyla! Nice to have join us! 3 new members, how great is that!? Keyla, please come on and tell us all about yourself!

Dianne, I agree, since I started gardening for real, I've noticed so much, so close, that I'd never paid any attention to before. Sometimes it seems that everywhere I go, there are at least 10-20 good shots! Thank the Lord for digital cameras!

Sharon, how lucky you are to live up there, the scenery all along 23 was incredible. We spent a lot of time at Forty Mile Point, it's the first restored lighthouse I've ever explored. Usually I just get the shots of the outside and scenery and take off. Whoever did this station did a really good job!

Margo, hope all is going well with your daughter, and you!

It rained here almost all day, YEA!!
Talk to ya all tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 22:33

Good evening FOTESS-ers,

Just dropping by to say hello while I have the chance. Been able to periodically keep up with the swaps in the early mornings before we head out into the field each day.

It's been long 14-hr days in the field for me this week, doing veg surveys of herbaceous plants on islands in Door Co., Wisconsin. We can't go out on the lake in windy weather (safety concerns) and can't do veg surveys in rain (water affects our biomass estimates & bad for equipment). So, we have been trying to push hard to get done before this current terrible weather got here. Calling for up to 12 ft waves offshore in Lake Michigan today !!!

Seen lots of wildflowers, but lots of weeds, too (non-natives, some invasive). It has been tricky to id some of them! Been making use of plant presses for later verification. I think we've pressed 17 specimens so far. Overall, I think we have found 40 different species. Some are nearly impossible to identify because they are completely senescent, just dried dead things with no leaves & sometimes seeds. I can certainly say that my least favorite plant so far is stinging nettle. It was so thick on one island, I had to bushwhack my way through 6-ft tall nettle! Favorite plant so far... hmmm, maybe jewelweed (Impatiens capensis). Jewelweed also just so happens to be an effective treatment for stinging nettle! I will try to post a few photos when I have more time.

This afternoon brought in terrible weather until Saturday, so today we get the day off. Yay! We've been at it since Sunday, having driven up here over the course of 2 days. While out running errands, I saw a native plant nursery. Could have spent tons of time and money there!! Couldn't stop myself from buying a wood lily! You can see what it looks like here.

Nice to see we have new members! Rena, I love your positive attitude! And welcome to Keyla and Dianne, too.
Hope everyone enjoys their weekend

Katie

o

Welcome Rena' and Keyla! Dianne, I am 99% sure I already welcomed you...but just in case my brain is off...welcome again!

Rena', I am your FOTESSING sponsor. If you have any Q's, please do not hesitate to ask!

Must run...Happy Saturday!!

Annie

o

#9 - T
Love to read what you are all doing!

1. _ A B R _ E _
2. _ M M _ R T A _
3. _ _ E R _ B _ M
4. S E R A P _ _ M
5. M _ _ _ A E _
6. A R _ _ A N _ E _
7. M _ _ _ T _ / A N _ E _ S
8. M _ N _ S T E R _ N _ / A N _ E _ S
9. E _ E _ T / A N _ E _ S
11. A N _ E _ / T R _ M _ E T / _ A T _ R A
15. A N _ _ _ / _ A _ R / S _ A _ _ E T T _ / S _ _ A S _
16. A N _ E _ / _ E _ _ E T / _ _ _ _ A
17. _ _ _ _ N _ S / _ _ R _ N A R _ A / A N _ E _ / B _ _ S _
18. S _ _ _ _ A N T _ _ S / A N _ E _ / _ _ N _ S

o

Lol I'm pretty sure you did too Annie :)

It's been raining something fierce here today...been wanting to get out and replant/repot some stuff and deal with some weeds but no can do in the rain like this...i actually am afraid it's drowning some of my plants so when it stops i may have to make room inside for them for a few days...what i do is i spread a vinyl tablecloth on the floor to save on the mess and line the pots up...of course that drives my dog crazy because it's less room for him to move around and it gives my cat some more play pretty's to bounce around in, which in turn gives me more work in constantly chasing cat and throwing him outside...prayed and begged for rain...now that we got some i think it's enough for a few days lol...how come we're never satisfied sometimes? hehe...but i do love how fresh rain makes things and it washes the dust off of the trees and love the sound of it on my tin roof...lots of pros there too and not just cons lol...anyways ya'll have a good Saturday, Dianne

o

We had quite a bit of rain yesterday and the temps dipped where I had to wear a jacket. Today it is cool and cloudy. Tomorrow the big plan is to get some major gardening done. I can't wait. The ground is soft from the rain and the temps will be perfect and hopefully, no humidity. I don't think I could be anymore excited about the possibility of actually getting some jobs done I have been wanting to get done for a long time such as labeling, thinning, relocating, etc.

Still in limbo with daughter. She made an appointment for a second opinion. Still no improvement on her health so we need to get things done fast so she can be comfortable again. My biggest fear is something is going unchecked that will only get worse.

Hope everyone is having a great day. I am at work until 6 but fortunate enough to be able to do some computer work when it is slow.

Margo

o

Sat, Aug 11, 12 at 15:13

Margo, same here, had to wear a sweatshirt to go to breakfast! What a change! Hopefully, it will be dried up enough to go get some work done tomorrow.

Dianne, I gave up on houseplants when the cats ate all the baby spider plants. Didn't even get sick. Pets! ya gotta love them!

AND!!! I have 11 words!! YEA!!
Thank goodness for Google!
Shirley!

o

Thank you for the very warm welcome!!!!!

Heidi that is terrible that happened to your Mom! I am terrified of snakes too. Grass snakes and little garters
I can handle but the moccasins are where I part company.
Stinky, ugly & poisonous!

I hope she is doing much much better now!

Shirley - Thank you very much! As long as someone has breath
there is hope!!

G-mom - Yep, it sure is a house full! My oldest son lives next door & my little soon to be daughter-in-law is a budding gardener! She happily volunteered to help me plant my huge iris order that's coming in from Blue J next month.
She's a keeper! lol So, I also have convenient baby-sitters for date nites! Woo-hoo! Thank you for the welcome!

Annie - Thank you so much for being my sponsor!

Margo & Diane - Not only would we never have to wear jackets here now, sometimes we have to run the AC on Christmas here! In New Mexico though you wore a jacket at night always. Soon as the sun went down temps. plummeted.

Margo - Praying the Dr.s receive some intuition on what's wrong with her so that she can be helped.

Katie - I see your my neighbor! I live 45 min. from the state line. Thank you for the welcome!

Thank you all so much for your friendliness! And our bodies tend to follow our thoughts (scientifically proven). Gotta stay positive to beat all the negativity around! And faith isn't some elusive thing to be found, it is simply a conscious decision to be positive no matter what we see, hear or feel. And thru faith we can rise above whatever problems we may face even if at 1st it seems to be doing no good, our situation will change after we decide to look up and not down. (In with the positive, out with the negative!) Which is often times hard to do alone, at least for any length of time. Which is one of the many reasons that the saying 'United We Stand, Divided We Fall' is so true. We do indeed need one another. If when one is weak the rest stand strong then the weak one can draw strength from those that have an excess.

When I was real sick my personal motto was "This may be my today but it won't be my tomorrow." And to say that I was always strong would be a lie. I had plenty of both. But I was surrounded by family and friends who never gave up and were strong for me when I felt like giving up. If you need prayer or are going thru something and need someone to be strong with you then message me. There are people that care AND understand.

Sorry if I sound preachy. I usually try and reserve that for my family. lol

If I skipped anyone I promise it was not intentional as I went up and down 20 times at least to try and address everyone personally that greeted me.

Rena'

o

Been awol for awhile. Where is the summer going? Last week of school...poor yard. Started to cut down the raspberry bushes. Picked 26+ gallons of raspberries and froze now I see the blackberries are going to be coming. Good thing school is about over.

Welcome Rena, Dianne & Keyla. You will love this group.

Vina, I made your Apple Pie Jam and was it delicious. My daughter says its ice cream topping. I was thinking it would also be good on waffles warmed.

Going to try to get into the raspberry patch by 6:00 this morning while it is still cool. By 10:00 its too hot to be working out in the sun. Would like to get at least half of the canes cut down. I have also been pulling up the squash plants. They have been blooming and growing almost to the Idaho state line or it seems like that, but nothing has set on. I can't even find a place to put my foot to get into the garden to see what else is in there. Usually our first killing frost is the middle of September and since thats only about 30 days away nothing would mature if squash set on today. Also going to start cutting the tomatoes way back. Only a few tomatoes have set on and I planted close to 20 plants this year. Oh well, less work in the end.

In less than a month I will be leaving for California. I am so excited. First vacation in over 17 years and I think I deserve it. Even though I always got almost 4 weeks of vacation when I worked, I used it to do yard work. One of the places I am going is to the National Heirloom Expo at the Sonoma County fairgrounds for 3 days. That should be so much fun.

Well I see its getting lighter out so need to get the day going and at least start something. I always have high hopes of getting lots of things done....only in my mind at least.

Have a good day everyone!

Ellie

o

Been awol for awhile. Where is the summer going? Last week of school...poor yard. Started to cut down the raspberry bushes. Picked 26+ gallons of raspberries and froze now I see the blackberries are going to be coming. Good thing school is about over.

Welcome Rena, Dianne & Keyla. You will love this group.

Vina, I made your Apple Pie Jam and was it delicious. My daughter says its ice cream topping. I was thinking it would also be good on waffles warmed.

Going to try to get into the raspberry patch by 6:00 this morning while it is still cool. By 10:00 its too hot to be working out in the sun. Would like to get at least half of the canes cut down. I have also been pulling up the squash plants. They have been blooming and growing almost to the Idaho state line or it seems like that, but nothing has set on. I can't even find a place to put my foot to get into the garden to see what else is in there. Usually our first killing frost is the middle of September and since thats only about 30 days away nothing would mature if squash set on today. Also going to start cutting the tomatoes way back. Only a few tomatoes have set on and I planted close to 20 plants this year. Oh well, less work in the end.

In less than a month I will be leaving for California. I am so excited. First vacation in over 17 years and I think I deserve it. Even though I always got almost 4 weeks of vacation when I worked, I used it to do yard work. One of the places I am going is to the National Heirloom Expo at the Sonoma County fairgrounds for 3 days. That should be so much fun.

Well I see its getting lighter out so need to get the day going and at least start something. I always have high hopes of getting lots of things done....only in my mind at least.

Have a good day everyone!

Ellie

o

It's been 85 instead of 100 this weekend and it was wonderful. My garden is about toast. Almost nothing left. I have hopes for a few cherry tomato plants that might produce, but most went dormant due to the heat.
I went to the park yesterday to check on the flowers there. So pretty. They filled in nicely. I need to do some more weeding, but that never ends. The marigolds near the front park fence are 2' high and full of blooms. I planted them 2 years ago and they have reseeded. I am hoping they reseed again next year.
Here's another clue, ladies!

1. _ A B R _ E _
2. _ M M _ R T A _
3. C _ E R _ B _ M
4. S E R A P _ _ M
5. M _ C _ A E _
6. A R C _ A N _ E _
7. M _ _ _ T _ / A N _ E _ S
8. M _ N _ _ T E R _ N _ / A N _ E _ S
9. E _ E C T / A N _ E _ S
11. A N _ E _ / T R _ M _ E T / _ A T _ R A
12. A N _ E _ S / C _ _ _ R / P _ P P _
13. B _ _ E / A N _ E _ / _ _ S C A R _ A
15. A N _ E _ / _ A _ R / S _ A _ _ E T T _ / S _ _ A S _
16. A N _ E _ / _ E _ _ E T / _ _ _ _ A
17. _ _ C _ N _ S / C _ R _ N A R _ A / A N _ E _ / B _ _ S _
18. S C _ _ _ A N T _ _ S / A N _ E _ / _ _ N _ S

o

Rena', totally agree with you. I have always said there is a reason for everything. Some reasons we may never know.

Ellie, one more week. Amazing. I knew it would go by fast.

I had plans to get out in the garden first thing today after I went for my morning coffee with my son. Just as I got home, my daughter called to borrow the van to move them from their apartment to a new one. My hubby asked her if she needed help and they said yes but they didn't want to ask. Not sure why as if we could we would and we could so we did. LOL It was actually fun and we even went out and had a nice lunch. They sure could have used some boxes. They need a lesson in moving. I can't even tell you how many times we have moved in and out ourselves and for our five kids between in and of of college dorms, apartments, and houses. I think twelve times just with our oldest.

I ended up just cleaning out one 8x8 garden. It is my coneflower garden and boy did they take it hard this summer. At least there is rain and cooler temps in the forecast this week.

Now for a nap. :) Margo

o

You probably already had all the G's figured out!

1. G A B R _ E _
2. _ M M _ R T A _
3. C H E R _ B _ M
4. S E R A P H _ M
5. M _ C H A E _
6. A R C H A N G E _
7. M _ G H T _ / A N G E _ S
8. M _ N _ S T E R _ N G / A N G E _ S
9. E _ E C T / A N G E _ S
10. G _ A R _ _ A N / A N G E _ S
11. A N G E _ / T R _ M _ E T / _ A T _ R A
12. A N G E _ S / C H _ _ R / P _ P P _
13. B _ _ E / A N G E _ / _ _ S C A R _ A
14. B R _ G S M A N S _ A
15. A N G _ _ / H A _ R / S _ A G H E T T _ / S _ _ A S H
16. A N G E _ / _ E _ _ E T / _ _ _ _ A
17. _ _ C H N _ S / C _ R _ N A R _ A / A N G E _ / B _ _ S H
18. S C H _ _ A N T H _ S / A N G E _ / _ _ N G S
19. P _ _ M E R _ A / G _ _ _ E N / A N G E _
20. B E G _ N _ A / A N G E _ / _ _ N G

o

Photobucket

Does anyone know what this yellow-flowering plant is? I found one photo on the internet that said it was a milkweed, but it didn't have a latin name or serious identification. It's on a bush-like plant that has grown 3 feet high and has dozens of yellow 1/2 to 1-in button-sized blooms on it. Last year I ordered what was supposed to be dormant Asclepias tuberosa, but I think they sent me this instead. I don't know what it is, though.
Heidi

o

it kinda looks like a type of dandelion to me...we have wild ones here that look like that but they are smaller...

o

Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 21:18

The leaves kind of remind me of coltsfoot.

Nice cool day here today. Got some tweaking done in the gardens; I can't believe I'm already clearing out some of the pots/containers! Some of the pansies are still going strong and my tithonia is starting to bloom. It isn't as tall as last years. I'm seeing a few more butterflies, wonder if it is because we had rain?

I have 13 words!

Have a good night, everyone!
Shirley!

o

Let's try S and V!

1. G A B R _ E _
2. _ M M _ R T A _
3. C H E R _ B _ M
4. S E R A P H _ M
5. M _ C H A E _
6. A R C H A N G E _
7. M _ G H T _ / A N G E _ S
8. M _ N _ S T E R _ N G / A N G E _ S
9. E _ E C T / A N G E _ S
10. G _ A R _ _ A N / A N G E _ S
11. A N G E _ / T R _ M _ E T / _ A T _ R A
12. A N G E _ S / C H _ _ R / P _ P P _
13. B _ _ E / A N G E _ / V _ S C A R _ A
14. B R _ G S M A N S _ A
15. A N G E _ / H A _ R / S _ A G H E T T _ / S _ _ A S H
16. A N G E _ / V E _ V E T / V _ _ _ A
17. _ _ C H N _ S / C _ R _ N A R _ A / A N G E _ / B _ _ S H
18. S C H _ _ A N T H _ S / A N G E _ / _ _ N G S
19. P _ _ M E R _ A / G _ _ _ E N / A N G E _
20. B E G _ N _ A / A N G E _ / _ _ N G

o

Heidi I just sent you an email with the words lol...hope i'm 1st and hope i got them all right!!!!...i feel adrenaline pumping lol

o

We have a winner! Moonfire (Dianne) came up with all the right answers! Here's the official answer sheet for those of you who want to compare. I will be getting your prize off to you, Dianne!

1. GABRIEL
2. IMMORTAL (Luke 20:36)
3. CHERUBIM (Gen. 3:24)
4. SERAPHIM (Isa. 6:2,3,6,7)
5. MICHAEL (Daniel 10:13; Jude 9)
6. ARCHANGEL
7. MIGHTY ANGELS
8. MINISTERING ANGELS
9. ELECT ANGELS
10. GUARDIAN ANGELS
11. ANGEL TRUMPET DATURA
12. ANGELS CHOIR POPPY
13. BLUE ANGEL VISCARIA
14. BRUGSMANSIA
15. ANGEL HAIR SPAGHETTI SQUASH
16. ANGEL VELVET VIOLA
17. LYCHNIS CORONARIA ANGEL BLUSH
18. SCHIZANTHUS ANGEL WINGS
19. PLUMERIA GOLDEN ANGEL
20. BEGONIA ANGEL WING

Reminder to the Swappers: Aug. 17 is the date to send your packages and it's coming right up-Friday. Please post when you send and when you receive.
I was out searching for a good "angel prize" for this game and realized that the stores are putting out their Halloween things and I could find devils everywhere, but angels were harder to find!
Katie, I mailed your box today, but I know you don't let any grass grow under your feet. You're one busy girl!
Heidi

o

Thanks Heidi :)))

I've been sitting on these words for a few days now...got it down to missing 4 words...then to missing 3...then to missing 1...the clues today helped me finish that 1 lol...i searched google and i really don't know my plants so i learned a lot while searching hahaha...it was like a lesson in plant names for me in a way and I enjoyed it bunches :)

Sharon I've got your package ready to go out in the mail...will let you know when I mail it out...should be tomorrow if nothing happens that i have to do and can't get to the po...lol i wanted just the perfect thing to send and i think i found it...i won't tell you because i want it to be a surprise but i fell in love with it when i saw it and because of one of your hobbies posted on your profile i had to pick it up to send you...

it just stopped storming here ...and it's supposed to rain again tonight and tomorrow...my plants are drinking it up...and my Newfoundland loves splashing through the puddles and drinking the water out of my rain buckets...i like how it makes everything fresh and the sound of it on my roof...

hope all are doing well tonight...sweet dreams to all, Dianne

o

Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 23:01

Congratulations, Dianne!
I had 17 words, couldn't figure out #s 9, 18 and 19. What does "elect angels" mean?
Great game, Heidi! Challenging, to say the least!
Vina, I'm waiting on one more thing for your Angel, hopefully I can mail out Thursday or Friday. I couldn't find the seeds I wanted, so I had to get creative, something I'm usually pretty good at, not so sure this time!
Cool and overcast here today, worked on my photo albums and the milk jugs for Wsing.
Katie, been meaning to tell ya, almost all the shoal/reef lights had colonies of double crested cormorants on them. I think colonies is the right word, there sure were a lot of them!
Have a good day tomorrow, everyone!
Shirley!

o

Great game, Heidi. Congratulations on winning, Dianne.
I started off really well, but then got stumped.

I plan to mail out my swap package on Thursday. I, too, had problems finding angel things, but I can be creative! LOL

Maybe I complained before about voles eating the below ground parts of my plants - lost almost all of my newly purchased bulbs that I got this spring... now the tomato hornworms are after everything. I picked one off a tomato plant this afternoon and it squirted all over me. Can you say "Yuck?" It was gross.

Well, off to the dentist tomorrow so I hope that goes well.
Talk to everyone soon.
Jeanne

o

Morning!! :D

Congratulations!!! Dianne!!

Shirley, I'll be mailing out your package on Friday. Still trying to locate a angel for you :)

We have been having some great weather lately! Rain and cooler temps. I swear I can actually see my plants smiling. :D

Talk to you later!
vina

o

Ellie,

I am attempting to get your "Angels" out this morning before I head out of town. If I do not get to the PO this morning, I will send on Monday!

Now Vina, do not rub it in....you swear you can see your plants smiling....how devine....LOL!!!! Rain and cooler weather would be so lovely!!

Heidi, great game! Elect Angels, I must look that one up!

Happy Wednesday!

Annie

o

Jeanne, I can just imagine that SQUIRT! Glad you got him, but not glad you have them in your garden. Good luck at the dentist. You'll be a whole new woman at the end of the summer-eyes, teeth...did you make an eyebrow tattoo appointment also?

Elect Angels:
Scripture speaks of certain angels as being "elect." Who are these elect angels? Paul wrote to Timothy.
I charge you in the sight of God, and Christ Jesus, and the elect angels, that you observe these things without prejudice, doing nothing by partiality (1 Timothy 5:21).
The elect angels are those who stayed true to God during the original angelic rebellion. Their election was revealed by remaining true to the Lord.
Heidi

o

Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 18:56

Whoohoo, I'm home!! And am absolutely swamped both at home & at work! Promise to write a longer post later with updates and pictures. Right now I'm just trying to keep my head above water...
Heidi, I've got your seeds, and am working on your angel. Should have it together soon.
Katie

o

Thanks everyone for the congratz :)

Sharon I sent out your angel package today...I have the tracking # for it and will send it to you soon...I'm in a rush right now...my oldest daughter is singing at church tonight and i wanta be there...still gotta get changed and running late...

hope all had a good day and hope all have a good evening...will holler at ya'll again soon, dianne

o

I went on a road trip with a friend and her garden club to a beautiful garden place today and then we all had lunch. I even came home with some goodies from a garden club member. On the way home, I ran out of gas. Our gas gauge has not worked for awhile now so we always set the trip thing when we fill the tank. I thought my daughter had forgotten last time so figured there was more than I thought in the tank. Grrrrrr. After the brakes going out in the van last week which is a story I have not mentioned and now this, I just don't want to drive anymore.

I was going to stop at the post office on my way home but after sweating in the car waiting for my son to come rescue me, I just went home. I will do it tomorrow for sure.

Jeanne, those tomato worms are just too gross. I fear they will be out there every time I go to harvest. I can't stand them.

o

A cool front came through and today we didn't even turn on the air. I baked in the oven!
I also sent a photo of my plant to the extension agent who told me I had Curly Cup Gumweed. I was instructed to pull it up, dig out any tubers and do it NOW before the yellow flowers made seeds that blew all over the state. Even cattle and wild animals don't like this plant. It tastes bitter and is very invasive. Oh...the nursery who sent it to me better duck! I've got a few words for them. I'm trying to put them into civil sentences before I call them up and see what kind of response they give me. To think I paid good money for Curly Cup Gumweed. Sounds like a plant on Sesame Street growing in Bert & Ernie's apartment. They sold it to me as milkweed.
Mom got her stitches out. Now she has to use her elbow again. She can get her hand up to about 6 inches from her mouth. She can't quite say the Pledge of Allegiance because she can't get her hand over her heart--yet. (She teaches preschool and does theh pledge twice a day.)
School starts Monday for my kids so we're putting finishing touches on supplies, clothes, all those details. Lots of fun!
Heidi

o

Dianne, Congrats!!!!

Your Angel package is in the mail and I'll send the # to your email.

I will not be around for Sept. and Oct. as I'm going on a trip. Going East but my hubby hasn't let me see the plans yet. I'll check in once in a while.

Have a good 2 months.
gmom
Sharon

o

Happy Friday!!

Sharon, Have fun on your trip. How exciting! Not knowing where your going.

Shirley, your "Angel" is in the mail. Just got back from the po :) DC# 0312 0090 0000 8208 2296

Cool, breezy and a generally wonderful day today...and the best part...a box of iris arrived just a little while ago...tee hee!
OH...A PLANTING I WILL GO...
vina :D

o

Sharon hope your package gets to you before you leave!! Have fun on your trip :) A whole month!!! Hope you have some wonderful things to share with us when you get back...like pics lol...Enjoy your trip :)

And in case you never got your confirmation # it's 0311 3260 0001 1292 6513 ...my email has been whacky lately off and on so not sure if it may have got lost or maybe i got sidetracked and didn't send it...hope you get it soon...you should :) and it's super nice getting to know you, dianne

o

Fri, Aug 17, 12 at 15:05

Right back at ya, Vina!
I too, just got back from mailing your angels!
DC# 03121430000296841932.

Safe Journey, Sharon! And yes, pics and stories when you get back!

Heidi, good to hear an update on your Mom; hopefully the elbow will "straighten out" quickly!
And I think I would be raising a little cain over the Curly Cup Gumweed, please, it doesn't even look like any milkweed I've ever seen!

Hi to everyone else, now to get back outside and do some more "rain damage control", not that I'm complaining! We've had rain everyday for the past 5 days! Two days ago it came down pretty hard, for quite a while, which is what caused a little damage.

Talk to ya all later!
Shirley!

o

Heidi I got my package today...OH I so LOVE it!!!...I've been wanting some gladiolias and don't have any so those will be my 1st glads lol...and the keychain is beautiful!!...now I can carry an angel with me everywhere i go...thanks so much...I just don't know how to thank you lol...wish i had a working camera so i could take pics to show everyone...maybe by the time the glads grow and bloom i'll have a camera :)

o

The angel package from me is on its way!
Jeanne

o

The rain beat down and drowned my kangaroo paws too Shirley along with a few other things...my kangaroo paws look dead as they can be :(...my fault for leaving them out there in the rain but it was raining super hard and i didn't want to go out in it...and then when the rain stopped i thought i'd let them soak up the sun and heat and that they'd dry out...they didn't get fully dry before the next batch or rain tho and it's continued this crazy cycle...so i looked it up and it says to cut it down and cut all the dead off and it will come back...the only thing i'm wondering is do i need to bring it inside or leave it outside...it's an australian plant and dies back in winter but comes up every summer there...hope i didn't kill it...

o

Fri, Aug 17, 12 at 16:37

The rain nailed my Black Adder Hyssop, Diane, it all bent over on top of the Monarda, lucky I left it there after it bloomed, or the BAH would have been down on the ground! It's still blooming, so I'm trying to get it staked; it's a bit of a mess! Nothing else got beaten down, thank goodness!
Gotta go eat some dinner!
Shirley!

o

My package has gone out and I did get DC. The receipt is in my car and I am in Columbus at my sons house and took our other vehicle. I will post it when I get home, I promise.

Going to spend tomorrow doing some fun shopping, My sons and husband are going to an airport where there is skydiving. The sons are jumping and there is no way I am going to watch. We will spend the evening visiting. On Sunday, we are doing the Color me Rad 5k on Sunday morning. Wish me luck. I don't plan to run the whole thing but do plan to do the whole thing.

Will let you know how it goes. Margo

o

Fri, Aug 17, 12 at 20:59

Wishing you all the luck in the world, Margo! What a great thing to do!

I know what you mean about watching our kids do something like skydiving. I watched my oldest son rapel off a bridge once, not a very pleasant experience, I ruined the camera.

A cool but sunny day here, no rain, took a walk down to the river to get shots of the low water, but DUH, it filled back up again, did I just say it rained for 5 days! Sometimes I really wonder about myself!

Later,
Shirley!

o

Sat, Aug 18, 12 at 8:16

Good Morning!
Just wanted to wish FOTESS member Corrine a Happy Birthday! Hope your day is a good one, Corrine!
Shirley!

o

Happy Birthday, Corrine! Have a wonderful day.
Jeanne

o

Sat, Aug 18, 12 at 11:22

Good Morning FOTESSers,

Happy Birthday, Corrine!

Whew! what a week. Or maybe I should say "what a month!" And I thought things would slow down once we got back from the field... more updates on that later. Right now I'm juggling all that comes with being out of town for 9 days, returning to the office this week to be greeted by 40 incoming laughing gulls at our aviary, plus trying to finish up 2 assignments & a test for class I am taking that ends Aug. 29th. Once I catch a breather, I intend to share some of my field adventures (photos included).

Heidi, I received your package. Thanks so much!! Heidi sent me 2 angel figurines, and seeds for Datura (Angel's Trumpet) and Schizanthus pinnatus (Angel Orchid). Wow, these flowers are beautiful! Down in southern Louisiana, Angel's Trumpet grows as a long lived perennial and can be found overhanging city sidewalks. They really cheer up a neighborhood. My mom and sister are both down there, so I will also grow some of my seeds to give plants to them as gifts! I have tried to make cuttings from a friends plant in New Orleans, but was unsuccessful. Hopefully I will have better luck with seeds! They make for a magnificent blooming plant!

Last night I finished making your angel, Heidi! So everything is packed up and waiting to be picked up from the mailbox today. Your DC # is 9405 5036 9930 0110 3949 13. Hope you enjoy!

Wanted to share this photo with the group. too. It was taken by my step-dad, Dale Lowery. It is titled Prayer Orchid, and I thought it was fitting of this month's FOTESS theme. Dale is a photographer and has some really amazing photos, especially ones of flowers, plants, and other natural things of beauty. (If anyone is interested in seeing his other photos, you can on his FB page: Lowery Photos)

OK, back to the salt mines for me. I've got a million things left on my "To Do" list.

Katie

o

Sharon sent
Dianne sent
Ellie
Annie
Margo sent
Jeanne sent
Shirley sent
Vina
Heidi sent
Katie sent

Happy Birthday Corrine! My husband's birthday is tomorrow. It's a tradition in our church to "rat out" anyone with a birthday during the week. My 12-yr-old is making sure he's there to be "ratted out." I just finished decorating his birthday cake.
Dianne, I'm happy about the glads! I am tempted to buy them over and over, but I don't want to dig them up in the fall. I'll stick to other bulbs. When I saw you were in a warmer zone I thought maybe it would work better than here!
Katie--can't wait to see some photos and hear your stories. Learning is great any way you can get it, but stories are the best!
Heidi

o

Sat, Aug 18, 12 at 16:53

Hieidi, Happy B-Day to your husband; hope he doesn't mind being ratted out!
And Vina sent her package out!
Spent the day wandering around Monroe County, also went a little farther north hunting for the Grosse Isle lighthouse. only to find that it is on private property. Drat!
Later, Shirley!

o

Thank you, Shirley. I'm glad for the help!
Sharon sent
Dianne sent
Ellie
Annie
Margo sent
Jeanne sent
Shirley sent
Vina sent
Heidi sent
Katie sent

o

Well, sons made it down from the big sky just fine. They loved it.

We ran the 5k today and I didn't do too bad. My youngest son was 7th in and my oldest was 15th. They weren't keeping track but the boys were. I came in not too far from my 20 year old daughter so I was pretty excited about my finish. This was a leukemia fundraiser and there was 4000 people there. It was held in a parking lot in Columbus. I have to work tomorrow so was careful when running through the coloring stations for fear I would be all stained up. They were throwing corn starch colored powder and at some stations it was mixed with water and sprayed on as you ran by. I barely got any on me but it washed off the kids just fine so want to do it again and really get into it. It was so much fun to do with all of them. The picture is 3 of my 5 and the one guy in front is my daughters boyfriend.

o
RE: fotess: angels in august

Pic didn't go through so trying again.

o
new: fotess: angels in august

The finish line.

o

Sun, Aug 19, 12 at 20:54

Great pics, Margo, congrats on finishing the race! Way to go!
Nice looking kids, very "colorful"! See what ya mean by avoiding the cornstarch and water! How long did it take all of you?

Long, slow day here today. In the mid 70s, and that's fine with me!
Have a great day tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

I'm impressed! Our church had olumpics today. Our family has been known to be a fierce competitor in the egg toss. We were outdone by some very compeitive high school boys and young married men. I think they threw their egg 40 feet and caught it!
You all know it's been hot and plants went dormant. I had a 5' cherry tomato plant that fell over in a wind and I left it there. The roots were still in the ground. In fact, it was easier to pick them as the tomato plant grows horizontal! Because things went dormant most of the tomatoes are tiny. I took some pictures. I would call the 'pea tomatoes' instead of cherry tomatoes! The quarter is rather difficult to see on the gray background, but I used it so you could compare size. The few larger tomatoes that grew don't look very good.
Heidi

Photobucket

o

I recieved my box from Dianne today. A wonderful box with a long letter. In the box was a pop can wind chime with butterflies, An angel with a stand holdig a heart shaped plaque that says..."YOU WARM MY HEART". A canning jar painted with flowers and fruits. Inside the jar was candy sticks, gum, and flower seeds; Poppies-2 pk., white rose,pink downy phlox, White moon flower, red hollyhocks, peas, and chamomile. Thank You Dianne. Great box.

o

I recieved my box from Dianne today. A wonderful box with a long letter. In the box was a pop can wind chime with butterflies, An angel with a stand holdig a heart shaped plaque that says..."YOU WARM MY HEART". A canning jar painted with flowers and fruits. Inside the jar was candy sticks, gum, and flower seeds; Poppies-2 pk., white rose,pink downy phlox, White moon flower, red hollyhocks, peas, and chamomile. Thank You Dianne. Great box.

o

Photobucket
I made these upcycled aluminum plant tags this morning. I cut up an aluminum soda can and punched holes in the tags. Then I placed one tag on a napkin and wrote the name of the plant. (I wrote the name on the back so I had to write 'backwards'.) Each spring I generally pull/dig something up I shouldn't. I'm trying to tag as many of the plants as I can in an inconspicuous way. Pens, greasepencils, popsicle sticks, plastic, pencil and electrical tape have not stood up to the weather. I'm hoping these do better. I attached them with a nylon tie like the blue one in the picture.
Heidi

o

Ellie,

Angels in August is finally headed your way.....

DC# 0312 0090 0001 5685 7768

Heidi, aluminum plant tags...love it! I have seen this before...quick and easy!

Annie

o

Love those tags. I will definitely use that idea. It is great to put in pots when going to swaps too. Thanks Heidi

o

My package came from Jeanne today. She was very creative in how she chose the seeds she sent. She sent
Shoo fly
Transparent yellow tomato
gaillardia goblin
Love in a Mist
Forget me not
Delphinium-blue
Coreopsis - Sunray
Marigold -Suger an Spice
Lychins - Angels blush

I bet many of these you can figure out why she sent.

Along with the seeds were notecards with a cherub angel and some bee stickers. Both very cute.

Thank you Jeanne, you did good with the angel theme.

My DC number is finally being posted, 03112550000343435122 although I just checked and it has been delivered.

Margo

o

Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 20:10

Shoo Fly?
Transparent Yellow Tomato?
Margo or Jeanne, please explain!
Shirley!
Oh, Duh, forget Shoo Fly. Just got it.

o

Margo I love the shirt that says go time lol...looks like ya'll had lots of fun... :)

To those that had birthdays and family birthdays happy belated birthdays...hope all had a wonderful special day on their day :)

Sharon, I'm so glad you like your angel package...on your profile you have quilting as 1 of your hobbies and when i found the angel it reminded me of quilting...enjoy your vacation...glad you got the package before you left :)

Heidi I love those tags...gonna have to try that as i've tried about everything too and nothing works...it either gets washed away or fades with time...

The kids started back to school today...so I've been doing things that haven't got a lot of attention lately that need to be done...finally got the pots of flowers outside weeded out and some of them repotted in between rains today...it wasn't too hot this morning and felt nice out for a nice change...plan on doing some more tomorrow if it doesn't rain all day...may even get up the go-juice to weed eat so hubby doesn't have to when he gets home from work...

Hope everyone's week started out good :)

TTYL, Dianne

o

Yes, Margo, my package arrived today and you were more than generous! Margo sent an angel cookie cutter, some lavender bath soak, a pretty angel pendant on a silver colored chain (love it), some delicious candy called "Sea Salt Caramels" with dark chocolate (very delicious), and she spelled out angel with the seeds she sent:

A - Alyssum Royal Carpet
N - Nicotiana Baby Bella
G - Gaillardia Galla Peach Frenzy
E - Echinacea Coconut Lime
L - Lobelia Queen Victoria.

How smart of you to do it that way!
Anyway, I love everything and thank you so much.
And thanks, Heidi for being such a wonderful hostess!
Jeanne

o

Wow I would have never thought to spell it out like that!! A very neat idea...and original...

o

Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 9:46

Happy, Happy Birthday, Vina!
Hope you have a great day!
Shirley!

o

Happy Birthday, Vina.
Have a wonderful day!
Jeanne

o

Sharon sent rec'd
Dianne sent
Ellie
Annie sent
Margo sent
Jeanne sent rec'd
Shirley sent
Vina sent
Heidi sent
Katie sent rec'd

Happy Birthday Vina. I, too, love how A-N-G-E-L was spelled out. I knew you all had hidden creative juices!
Heidi

o

Happy Birthday Vina.

Finally got to the post office. Ann your DC # 0308 2040 0000 9888 8031

Raining here today...feels so good to have a day reprieve from heat. Trying to get a few things done in the greenhouse since its cooler today. Have a great day everyone!

Ellie

o

Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 16:13

Whoo Hooo! I got my Angels in August from Vina today, what a great package!
She sent:
A glass Angel ornament-where did you find this?
A red stuffed felt heart magnet;
and a little book, appropriately named "Peapod" the little rabbit with a big heart!
She really nailed the theme with the seeds she sent:
Poppy Angel Choir
Poppy Mission Bell and
Poppy White Cloud!
Also sent White Baby's Breath and Red Baby's Breath, which I REALLY wanted because I wasn't very successful harvesting seeds from my BB plants!
And here is a picture of the Garden Angel she sent; you're right, Vina, it is right up my alley!
Thank you, thank you for a great package!
Shirley!

o

Happy Birthday Vina :) Hope your special day was awesome!

Sharon I received my angel box today...and I love it :)...knowing the history behind it kinda makes me feel like part of your family lol...i know that sounds quirky but your Christmas Angel will have a loving home on top of our tree and every time I hear the wind chimes I'll think about friendship...thanks for passing these special gifts on to me :)...thanks also for the tea's and drink mixes and the cards and postcards...they are lovely.

Included in my box was a nice card explaining the history behind the gifts, a Christmas Angel tree topper that is from Sharon's family Christmas tree, Angel wind chimes, some different tea's, some flavored mixes for waters, some cards and postcards that are pretty and have angels or scripture on them...that box really makes me feel special :)

o

Oh and how could i forget to mention the seeds...my angel seeds are purple datura angel trumpet and blue and white columbine :D
It's all the better as I didn't have any of these...thanks Sharon :)...I had got so caught up in the tree angel that the seeds escaped me...and i'll tell ya'll why...feb 2011 our house burned down...so Christmas 2011 we had to get new ornaments and decorations...our tree survived because it was in the shed...we were low on money and so we made do with things i bought from Christian and Goodwill centers and some dollar store ornaments...we used a cheap star on the top as I couldn't find an angel that seemed just right for the tree...our old angel had some meaning behind it too...so now i'm all the more excited because now i have an angel that i think will be perfect...she is simple but beautiful :)...i also didn't have any windchimes either...as all my windchimes were on my front porch and we haven't used any money to replace them yet...so those are the 1st windchimes for our new home...wow I didn't mean to go on and on lol...but isn't it wonderful how God uses people we don't even really know to bless us!!! ...just had to share that...forgive me for being sentimental lol

o

Morning!

I had a terrific B-Day yesterday! Thanks for all the well-wishes. Worked in the garden most of the day yesterday. Taylor got her letter for "back to school" from her new teacher. Hubby surprised us with a special dinner.
WONDERFUL DAY! :D

And, I rec'd my ANGEL from Shirley!!

Shirley and Margo must have been in cahoots because she spelled A~N~G~E~L~S too...LOVE IT!

A~ Ammi (I love the picture you sent!)
N~ Nigella: Blue
G~ Geum: Mrs. Bradshaw (THANK YOU! Mine didn't make it this summer. Try, try again :) )
E~ Euphorbia: Amil Jassa (The picture you sent for this is so pretty!)
L~ Larkspur: Splish Splash
S~ Sweet Corn: Sugar Pearl Hybrid...YUMMY~

She also sent a lovely angel coloring book. I hope this is for the kids, because they have already claimed it! Thankfully, they didn't see the angel stickers...I have claimed these, lol.

Shirley, thank you so much for everything. You are so creative!!

This has been such a fun swap.

Have a great day everyone!
vina

ps. Shirley, I just noticed that you rec'd mine as well. PHEW! Glad the angel made it one piece. I got her at a craft show. The lady who made her says she's a guardian angel. She's suppose to hang in your car. But, I think she's cute enough for anywhere :)

o

I love the stories and the pictures. We had a house fire, too. You think, "I have one of those! Nope, not any more." Replacement items become special, too. Someone gave us a blanket that became our favorite. We all want to snuggle in it--because it's soft and warm and because it gave us a feeling of security and comfort during our difficult time. Thank you for sharing.
Sharon sent rec'd
Dianne sent rec'd
Ellie sent
Annie sent
Margo sent
Jeanne sent rec'd
Shirley sent rec'd
Vina sent rec'd
Heidi sent
Katie sent rec'd

I found something on the internet. Do you know what August is? It's National "Leave Your Zucchini on Your Neighbor's Porch" month. Maybe next year we'll have to do the Zucchini Swap! ha

o

Shirley, I am not sure about the transparent yellow tomato but I will definitely grow it.

Jeanne, glad you liked the package. I made the lavender bath salts and sure hope it didn't put a lavender smell/taste to the chocolate. I tried to wrap it good.

My daughter is feeling better although they aren't sure if the cyst caused the problems. Yesterday, someone hit her car in the apartment complex she works at. She has only had it for two months. The driver had no insurance and no license. He was arrested when he left the lot. Then her and her husband came home to water gushing from the apartment above theirs. The water heater pipe burst. There was water throughout the bedroom and bathroom and it has stated to seep into the living room. What a day for Elizabeth. We went to help with moving things and fortunately they didn't have any damage. We took them out to eat to give them a little break.

Tomorrow is another big day. Our youngest of five is going off to college. I think I need a vacation.

Margo

o

Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 19:30

What a day, for real!! Those poor kids!
A vacation does sound good.

I think the "transparent" means the wings?

I had a scare with the computer today. I did something really stupid, and why, I have no idea, but somehow I changed the default settings so that everything, including all the icons on my desktop were going into my HP software, which I can't get out of, once I'm in. I couldn't get online!! I finally found a systems restore type thing on the control panel and was able to go back to Monday's settings and voila!! Everything was fixed! Kind of scary tho.
Maybe I learned my lesson this time!
Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow!
Shirley

o

Oh, my... lots going on in everyone's lives!
I just wanted to mention that Margo received her package also and posted. Since some wondered about the meaning of the seeds, I will give it a try. The last one is obvious.

Shoo fly - angels fly
Transparent yellow tomato - sometimes angels are shown as spirits and a bit transparent
gaillardia goblin - goblin - same idea
Love in a Mist - angels love everyone and the mist (same as the above with goblin and tranparent)
Forget me not - our guardian angel will not forget about us
Delphinium-blue - angels in the blue sky
Coreopsis - Sunray - sun and sun rays are in the blue skay
(same idea as above)
Marigold -Sugar and Spice - Angels are nice like sugar and spice
Lychins - Angels blush

Okay, so not so hard to figure out.
Wow, August is going by really fast, but I love fall!
Jeanne

o

Photobucket
Thank you Katie! I love, love, love it.
Katie sent me a handkerchief angel she made herself. It's so delicate and pretty.
She also sent:
Viscaria Oculata Rose Angel (Catchfly)- 2 packages
Viscaria Oculata Blue Angel (Catchfly)- 2 packages
Salvia Patens Blue Angel
We had also been doing a seed trade and she was waiting for her white coneflower seeds to mature so I received many seeds. I'm doing the seed dance around the house right now! I am bound and determined to have poppies growing next summer and Katie sent me seeds for that!
My mom's arm is doing well. She got stitches out and the cast/sling is off. They want her to use it. She's in physical therapy, too. She can't quite get her hand to her mouth or put her hand over her heart for the pledge of allegiance, but she's getting there.

Sharon sent rec'd
Dianne sent rec'd
Ellie sent
Annie sent
Margo sent rec'd
Jeanne sent rec'd
Shirley sent rec'd
Vina sent rec'd
Heidi sent rec'd
Katie sent rec'd

o

Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 18:22

So glad you liked your box o' goodies, Heidi! I thought the handkerchief angel idea would make a nice use for anyone that has old antique or family heirloom handkerchiefs, too.
Glad your mom is doing well with her recovery, too.

Jeanne, how are your eyes feeling?

Spelling A-N-G-E-L with the seeds sent, very clever, ladies! A great idea.

Katie

o

Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 22:25

Hi everyone,
Well, as promised, here I am posting about what in the world I've been doing all summer while traveling to & fro Wisconsin. As some of you already know, I work with fish-eating birds: cormorants, pelicans, herons, egrets, gulls, wood storks, etc. My husband and I have been working in Wisconsin for the past 3 years, but we also regularly work in Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Michigan, Ontario, and a few other places. Yes, we are a husband + wife team, working together out of the same office. Many people are surprised that we work together, but it is great. We make a fantastic team, and are often at our best under challenging field conditions. Great minds think alike, and being dear friends & in love sure helps too. (ok, enough with the mushy stuff).

So now for a few photos from the vegetation surveys we did this month.
Background: We are working on remote islands in Lake Michigan, around the Door Co. Peninsula area. All the islands have nesting double-crested cormorants and herring gulls. Some also have nesting Am. white pelicans and Canada geese. Back in April, we put up some 6 ft x 6 ft pens (we call them exclosures) to exclude the cormorants because they damage vegetation with their nesting activities (too much POOP!). So then we went back in August to catalog everything that grew in the pens, by plant species, and weighed it to also determine biomass. That meant breaking out the field guides, studying up on botany and the flora of Wisconsin, and bringing the plant presses for species we couldn't identify on the island. We compareed the exclosure plots to some "control" plots, which had nothing but 4 wooden stakes at the corners. We had 45 plots to do on 3 islands, plus another 3 islands down by the city of Green Bay that we did simple vegetation surveys on (no pens). It was alot of work, but very interesting.

The bottom line: there are lots of nonnative species on those islands, like motherwort, catnip, pigweed, common mallow, stinging nettle and sow thistle. The native vegetation was primarily lambsquarter and smartweed species.

Almost done clipping this 1-meter plot:

Looking for small plants beneath the lambsquarter

The finished, sampled 1-meter subplot

Who would even know what this was?!?! I saved seeds to winter sow and see if I can't figure it out.

The very last veg plot to measure. You can tell, because we look so happy!

A friend found crawling across the plant press

The stinging nettle I hacked through to make us a nice trail to get to the center of the island. At least its not poison ivy!

Ok, that's all for now. Have a great evening.
Katie
(heh - I've been working on this post for days!)

o

Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 22:52

Well, I don't think I'll ever complain about my little patch of stinging nettle again!

Katie, how are the non-native plants started/transported? Air, animal, water?
And is anything being done to promote the native plants? Will the non-natives "have to go"?

Your job is so interesting, thanks for sharing and for the photos too!
Shirley!

o

Katie,
This should probably be obvious, but why do you catalog the plants? Do they have a negative effect on the birds? (You might have to draw me a picture.) Obviously many could be invasive and affect the ecosystem and the balance. I had the same questions as Shirley about promoting natives, removing non-natives.
My angel is hanging above my computer!
Heidi

o

Ellie,

Angels in August arrived yesterday! Thanks so much!

I received
*a lovely card
*seeds
Nicotiana Fragrant Cloud
Morning Glory Early Heavenly Blue
Olive Tree
Angels Trumpet evening Fragrance Datura
*a book titled ANGELS EVERYWHERE, Miracles & Messages by Lynn Valentine............very interesting...peoples encounters with Angels, their stories!

Ellie, simply wonderful!! Thanks!

And I just checked the tracking for your package. It is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

Happy Friday....Have great weekend!

Annie

o

Ellie,

My brain calender is off. Your "Angels" should be delivered today the 24th.

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here