Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diene_gw

UPDATE: Next round of Mirth in the Manure

diene
16 years ago

Hello all;

I came to visit and let galium know that I am sending her box tomorrow. I wanted to send daylilies but they are not ready sorry. I hope you do enjoy what I send.

I am also happy to see you have two more robins planned, what a great thing. This has exceeded my wildest expectations and I have met a great group of people. Wonder what happened to the lone male, he dropped from sight. Not that I blame him. diene

Comments (144)

• medontdo
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

geesh!!! girls! gone for a little while LOL and your all the way up to 100 already i'm sure, ok, some news tracey, put some onions in between your blackberries thats what the one guuy did who gave me all the raspberries, and he's never had a problem with any bugs at all getting to any of his berries or any other foods he's planted, i forgot about that. i need to do that!! LOL and pixi i just love you!! you are so funny!!

{{gwi:1290779}}

{{gwi:1290781}}

{{gwi:1290782}}

{{gwi:1290784}}

{{gwi:1290786}}

{{gwi:1290788}}

{{gwi:1290790}}

{{gwi:1290792}}

{{gwi:1290793}}

{{gwi:1290794}}

{{gwi:1290795}}

{{gwi:1290797}}

{{gwi:1290798}}

{{gwi:1290800}}

{{gwi:1290802}}

{{gwi:1290804}}

{{gwi:1290808}}

{{gwi:1290810}}

{{gwi:1290812}}

now here's all them picture's i've been telling you about, but he got me a differnt phone, so now i can send all my pics to the photobucket. yay!!! LOL
    dang, i was gonna tell... oh ya melissa, i know that one too, i do the guy's hair, mom pay's for talla's hair to get done and mine, gee i wonder why?? LOL and i make her clothes sometimes, i'm learning to can, next year, my garden will grow!! i have faith!! strong faith!! :')) now as hubby say's i love everybody, but i have met like 3 people i don't like. and i just got a new friend to join, she's crazyfarmin i think so if anyone feels like being all nice please help her!! :')) tabor wants to adopt her, he's so sweet!! i'm getting seeds for him. so i've been busy. i tried getting a pic of my one garden but the sun was in the way, anyway it was even more of a mess. and pixi, yep we call plants, them there things, ya know the pink ones with the blah blah.....
    oh ya, tht reminds me, when you were talking about chiggers biting, bla bla bla bla, not hearing you!!!! LOL
    :')) man misquitos' love me for some reason, but love talla even more! but they are the only things in this world that love my legs, but even i'm not that desperate!! LOL hey alana, what were the hb?? just curious, they did look edible. well after they were peeled. maybe i'm just hungry for melons! LOL they did deliver the shower! i'm so happy! which reminds me, i'm so sorry about your loss mama! i won't even say there's a reason for everything, cuz that wouldn't make the loss any lighter. but i just pray for easness on your heart! :'( and you gimpy girls! LOL but not, i hate the side effects of this med, the other one is my feet getting numb and all prickly feeling, LOL it can get demented at times. LOL :')) i totally know all about the hair thing becky! and depending on the conditioner i use too on how much hair falls out, but i'm a ponytail wearer too! LOL is there anyother way?? :'))
    in the middle of the half circle i made, is the appleblossom daylily. i hope it really blooms!!

• laurieanngarris
    16 years ago

HNB...I got the address. Thank you.

I hope your box makes you smile fishymamas....and the postman better not do the "boogie" on it. *singing* *Cuz we're gonna boogie oogie oogie till you just can't boogie no more* laalaala

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Becki: Dirty Girl! We have a similar tradition to your tootsies! Only we call it birthday spanks! LOL! He started it on my 19th birthday! LOL! I'm 35 and going strong! Grin! I'm not into that whole center of the tootsie pop thing though! Blech! LOL!

Pixie: Got your email and shot one back at ya! Mmmmm, plum jam, I have Never had that! Sounds Delicious. Peanut butter and apricot is my favorite snack sandwich! Yum! I will have to sing the Marilyn Monroe version of Happy Birthday for him from all of you! I bet you'd all like that!!!!! LOL!

HNB: You can come over any time for food at my house! I would cook up a storm! We can take turns holding ice packs on each other's hips! LOL!

Melanie: My youngster balloons were sprouting in early June and just flowered now so you may get some blooms by early september??? Maybe. If it does flower I would love some seeds from it!

Cinnamon Honey Butter: 1/2 cup softened butter, 2 tsp honey, 1/4 tsp cinnamon (start with less and add to taste) Stick your electric mixer in and let her rip! Taste it and see if it is sweet enough and add more stuff until it is how you like it! Slather on your favorite bread. It is really awesome on warm french bread!!!!!

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

VELA: How are you??? Yes your plants are definitely doing great! They miss you! Asked me to say hello for them! he he! Send me your addy and I will ship off some seeds to you when the balloons are done! They are cute!

• diene
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good Morning All;
    Well, I lied to Mariann about sending her box, I did do all the digging Tuesday night but could not find a box yesterday and life interferred. I plan on going to the PO this morning to send it.
    You people have been really chatty, it is great to see. Welcome to all the new people, I have been doing this for a while so I lack a bit of your enthusiasm. I am also a little older than the group but I love hanging out with young folks!!
    The balloon flowers (Platycodon) are usually perennials. I just realized I had planted some this year from my local discount store. I also remembered that they take a few years to really get good looking. They come in white, pink and purple usually. If you do a search on the hortiplex, you can get more info on them. I do not remember what the seeds look like and of course, I am not good at starting anything from seed.
    Well, I need to get to work, so I will say, have a great day to all. I will post the DC later. diene

• galium
    16 years ago

Just popped in to say hello. I thought I was seeing things when I saw the number of posts to this thread.

My daughter has hypothyroidism and degenerative bone disease in her knees. She needs to have a double knee replacement but has no health insurance.

fishy my heart goes out to you.

We hope to be canning tomatoes this year. My DH loves pickled green tomatoes. The garden is to small to grow large quantities of anything. I don't have enough sun on my property to have a bigger garden.

pixie welcome to this group.

diene I'll be on the look out for your box.

Have a great day everyone.
    Mariann
    {{gwi:1263736}}

• chrystallake_2007
    16 years ago

Wow one thread a day....I copied the recipe for the honey butter.I am gonna try it.

I will save you seeds from the pink one also.

Medon't where ya been?? Good to see ya.

Galium--Glad you popped in for a quick hello.

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Okay....HONEY. That is one of the few foods I really DON'T like. And that's putting it lightly. :O) Just the smell makes me gag uncontrollably. My kids and hubby just LOVE the stuff, though, so I have to buy it by the gallon. We have a farm about a mile from us that raises bees, so we get it fresh.
    Hubby's thing he likes to do (he thinks it's hilarious) He will eat a big tablespoon of honey, without telling me, and then will come up and kiss me.
    BLECH!
    That's all it takes, then I'm in the bathroom paying tribute to mr potty.

The only thing I can figure, is that my mom, at some point when I was little, must have given me Syrup of Ipecac....that stuff smells just like honey. I had to use it on my son once. *shudder*

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Hi Diene, Thank you for helping out with the name on the balloon flower. That was the next step I was going to take in labeling!

Mornin' Mariann! My MIL had her knee replaced two years ago. It was a tough recovery with months of physical therapy. She is supposed to have the 2nd knee done but will probably forego it. She is 73 and not up for another long recovery. Where did you get that cute sign? I would love to make one of those for my ebay store!

I can't stand that so many Americans do not have health insurance. Medical expenses have skyrocketed! It drives me crazy that even when we do have insurance, we still struggle to meet premiums and then our co-insurances, deductibles, and co-pays. I would like all of us to call our various health and human services to each of our states and request information on State Funded Health Insurance. Most States offer some kind of discounted Medical Insurance to residents and FREE Medical Insurance for Children. Please check it out!!!!

Good Morning Melanie! How are you after your visit to the dentist yesterday? I hope you had a good check up! I am excited about all of the balloon flowers. Until recently I did not know that there were so many different colors of them. That was going to be next on my to do list was check out where to find them! I think if we mushed all of our gardens together we might just have some of everything. I really do enjoy this group. I have learned so much about plants and bugs and gardening. How great is that?

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Melissa- Your hubby is a bad bad bad man, that is so mean. He needs a good SMACK! Not the smoochie kind!

Well, hubby's b-day is off to a good start! When the kids got up this morning they all wished him a Happy Birthday all by themselves! They were so excited for him! He was pretty tickled that they remembered on their own.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Becki, I got you a present...

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Just another reminder for EVERYONE to mail their boxes this week,(next Tuesday at the latest) post when you do, and also PLEASE POST WHEN YOU RECEIVE YOUR BOX so that I can update my list.
    Pretty Please.
    Laurie has some great ideas for her swap!
    :O)
    Thanks!!

Oh, and this excludes Tracy & dirt, who are swapping next week when dirt gets back from vacation.

And has anyone heard from Debbya? She hasn't been around lately.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

I saw that Debbya just started a new "For the Birds" August roundrobin swap earlier this week.

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Tracy.....That's horrible. Teasing poor Toots about her lollipop obsession.....

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Can't help it, melissa, I am evil to the core. You are every bit as bad. Grin

I kept singing that lolli pop song last night. Has new meaning to me now. I can't seem to get it out of my head. Now I have emma singing it too!

• chrystallake_2007
    16 years ago

No, I have not heard from debbya, and she is my swap partner..WHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Yes check-up went well. Everything is a go for awhile again. Hehehe

Have a great day everyone, I am off to clean and then to can my peaches..

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

*****Millions of peaches, peaches for me....Millions of peaches, peaches for free.....*****

Anyone else have that song run through their head when Melanie mentioned peaches?? :O)

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

I just thought this was funny, and wanted to share. Maybe it'll put a smile on everyone's face this morning! :O)

This is what the baby was up to this morning. She's head to toe blue, now.
    {{gwi:1290815}}

{{gwi:1290817}}

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

No, still stuck on lolli pop, lolli pop oh lolli lolli lolli lolli POP! Ba doom doom doom!

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

LOL! Melissa! She is just like emma! She gets the markers and colors the paper until I turn my back and as soon as I am not looking she colors her lips! Then arms, then belly! Ergh! LOL!

Now she discovered where I hide the lipstick and has gone through my favorite color that is no longer made!!!

Adora is so cute! Love that big smile!

• diene
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, I am back on track, galium your box is on it's way. DC is 03062400000220791598, not that it means anything. I even went to a "real Post Office" but that does not mean anything either. Hope you enjoy what I sent. Have a great week, everyone. diene

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Oh, no...THANKS Tracy. I hadn't even thought of that song....now it's stuck in my head. My kids have never heard that song...they think I've made it up.
    I'm gonna go google and see if I can find it.....

• beckilove
    16 years ago

OMG! You girls are too much! Thanks for the gift, Tracy! I was just trying to come up with a way to tell you all about the gift my hubby REALLY looks forward too, without being too grafic! :) He had a big family, but they did celebrate birthdays. Except for his 14th - everyone forgot about it. No party, and not so much as a "happy birthday" from anyone. So sad. He is still upset about that.

Melissa - that is just too cute!! My Lily did that for the longest time - pens, markers, anything she could draw on herself with. Now, I think she does pretty good, but every onece in a while, we still find drawings on her legs and tummy!

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Melissa and Becki: Here you go! Now I know what is going to be stuck in Becki's head on her nest hubby's b-day! LOL!

Artist: Chordettes
    Song: Lollipop

Lollipop lollipop
    Oh lolli lolli lolli
    Lollipop lollipop.....

Call my baby lollipop
    Tell you why
    His kiss is sweeter than an apple pie
    And when he does his shaky rockin' dance
    Man, I haven't got a chance

I call him
    Lollipop lollipop
    Oh lolli lolli lolli
    Lollipop lollipop.....

Sweeter than candy on a stick
    Huckleberry, chimry or lime
    If you had a choice
    He'd be your pick
    But lollipop is mine

Lollipop lollipop
    Oh lolli lolli lolli
    Lollipop lollipop.....

Crazy way he thrills me
    Tell you why
    Just like a lightning from the sky
    He loves to kiss me till I can't see straight
    GEE, MY LOLLIPOP IS GREAT

I call him
    Lollipop lollipop
    Oh lolli lolli lolli
    Lollipop lollipop...

My hubby is from a big family too. Regular forgetting of the birthdays with each of the kids without even an acknowledgement. Too sad. His sister still complains about it when we get together for the kids birthdays. Then they all try to compensate by giving my kids WAY too many presents! Ugh!

• rockyridge
    16 years ago

Wow!!!! Youseeee Guyeees!! Turn my back for one day and poof.....you're almost through another whole thread. SHEEEZEEE!!!!!

I'll have to go back and do some serious reading this time.

Well, On to the good stuff. Drum roll pleeze.........

I' V E . . . G O T . . . N A K E D . . . L A D I E S ! ! ! ! !

Medontdo's box came this morning and she very generously sent me a Naked Lady.....Now I've got to find something to plant around it.........hummmmm let's see.........what was that stuff you guys said would be good.........something fuzzy?..........oh no.....bushy...that was it....bushy. LOL

I also got:

Shining Pink Cana lily

Hosta Undulata Albo 'Margarita'

Unknown daylily

unknown Iris

and 15-20 little bulbs....purple, early spring bloomers? Maybe crocus?

I love everything Medon't.....Thank you soooo much!

Roxanne

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Rox! You are hillarious! Nice er, um, Box! Great job medont! Happy planting!

• nuthatch_mo
    16 years ago

Vela-If you don't get you box today let me know please. This will be the 4th day, I figure it should have been there yesterday. Will have the Post Office try to find it, am getting worried. If it doesn't get there today the flowers will be mush.

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Great box, Rox! Have fun with that NAKED LADY! :O) Keep the bushy stuff to a minimum, though...you want to be able to see your lady when she blooms. :O) :O) :O)

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

Hmmmm..
    "lollipops"... it that like a "big stick" popsickle thing? (if you haven't been to the icecream man in a few years, it's a 8 inch long 1.5 inches across cherry and pineapple popsickle, that's eaten by... eh, if you can't figure out where this is going, you're not old enough to be on this thread.)
    Tracy my digi camera just gave up last week (the day I tried to take pics of my terra cotta baby daylilly to share (;.;) but my scanner still works, so I can draw it out for you (gotta love graph paper), scan and upload. if you wanna make it deeper than 6/8 inches, you're gonna need some center supports, for that a few cinderblocks as a "pillar" work. I'll draw that out too. Hubby's finishing up his degree in drafting and I know he made plans somewhere...
    I don't think I'll have anything ready for aug's swap, but I'll def visit and when it cools in sept/oct I should have more ready to go (for my mom's 50th, I'm taking out all of her over crowded stellas and replacing with some purples and reds, when she bought her house 8 years ago the devs shoved in big patches of stella, and now she thinks she doesn't like daylillies. So by all means if anyone loves stella, I'll have gobs of it by mid-Sept (I can't bring myself to toss it out, even if it is overused out here).

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

I give up! There is no way I can keep up with all that has gone before. I scanned the posts and saw such a range of topics that I could not assimilate it all. I noticed that there was a lot of nakedness, as usual, so I guess I am still with the same general group.
    Looking forward to the next swap.
    Alana

• chrystallake_2007
    16 years ago

Ok peaches are done and in the freezer, also popped a peach cobbler in the oven, man its smelling so good.

Rocky--It was the hairy ball tree....lol

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

Ok did up the drawing, I'll link to it in an hr or so.

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Melanie - good for you! I need to can some green beans yet, but I'm running out of time, so probably not until after farmer's marked tonight! Have 13 dozen eggs, I guess, so it's looking better! About 40 cucumbers and a few summer squash - might make a little bit of money. It's always good when I can bring home money! Makes me feel like I am contributing somewhat! :)

Fishy - the "big stick" sounds yummy! ;) I talked to my sister this morning. She said if you wanted to do international adoption, you might have some problems, as some countries are pretty picky. But... if you wanted to do domestic, and that was your only concern, that absolutely would not be a problem! If you want to talk some more about it, when you are ready, she said to give you her number, as she would gladly walk you through how it typically goes. So, if you get to that point, and want to explore it, let me know.

Okay, maybe I do have enough time to throw some beans in the canner. See ya'll tonight, I hope! As long as my hubby doesn't notice that is! Last night he asked what I was doing, and I said "chatting with some girlfriends", and he's like, you better not be chatting when my dining room looks like that! Oops! :) So, if he's showering or something, I'll sneak in! Have a good afternoon, girls!

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

WHAT??? Becki, he did not say that to you, DID HE?? Oh man, I'd crack him one! Men! You would think they could get off their fat butts to clean up if they have time to make comments like that!!!

Sneak in to visit with us????

No way. You go tell him "hey, sweetie, I'm gonna go chat on the 'puter. Can you clean up the dirty socks you left in the living room and bag the newspapers and take out the garbage and clean the cat's box and kiss my a--?"

No more mrs. nice gal for him Becki! Go straight to the center of the tootsie pop! CRUNCH!

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Oh, you bad girl! I had to check in here one more time. Didn't get the beans done - that will have to be tonight. Umm... no, he's right. Sometimes I need to get off my fat butt and do things! Trust me, he works his a** off, and I'm sitting here on the computer. He goes to work at about 6:30 in the morning, and often doesn't get home until 8:30 at night. Plus, he works Saturdays and sometimes Sundays. Plus he helps as much as he can in the garden and with the animals. I don't expect him to understand me sitting at the computer chatting with friends. Now, if he was a lazy bum and didn't do anything at all, then I would certainly have some words for him, but he was definitely right last night, sadly! :) But, no, I won't sneak - if I want to chat, I will chat. I've done enough sneaking in my life!

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Ooooohhhhhh......Harsh, Tracy!!!! :O) lol

I was thinking the same thing...just in nicer terms. :O) The few times my hubby has said something like that to me, I've thrown something at him...and THEN told him if he didn't help out and let me have some free time, CHER would be a virgin again before I'd do ANYTHING with the tootsie pop.

Needless to say.....he now does laundry. :O) I haven't had to do more than 1 load a week for the year or so!! He can't stand it to get backed up, so he does at least 2 loads a day.
    Oh, and last night....he CLEANED our BEDROOM!!!! *GASP* He has never NEVER done that in the entire 13 years!!!

Ya could've pushed me over with a feather last night when I came home from work and saw that...... lol

• laurieanngarris
    16 years ago

Fishymamas-

Your package is on the way. DC# 0103 8555 7491 3199 2219
    I hope it arrives safely!

Laurie

• beckilove
    16 years ago

:) You girls are just so bad!! I don't expect Dave to do much in the house, as he is hardly here anyway. He definetly isn't one of those guys that leaves his dirty socks lying around, or anything like that. And he totally understands toys lying around, and the messy house. But when there is a layer of dust on everything, and a cluttered mess everywhere, I totally understand why he would get upset to see me on the computer. But when he is being unreasonable, believe me... he hears it!

Well, I sold out of eggs, as I expected, but no one even asked about the cucumbers, so I just left when I ran out of eggs. I brought all those cucumbers home, and am going to try my hand at making sweet relish tomorrow. I've never made that before. I called home and asked Dylan, my 14 year old, to read the recipe to me. He told me I needed celery seed and mustard seed, and I wrote it down. But then I lost my paper when I was in the store, and accidentally bought dill seed instead of celery seed. Do you think that will be okay? Or should I go and get some celery seed as well? I have no idea what the difference in the flavor would be... Any thoughts??

• rockyridge
    16 years ago

Now I got to search back through the posts and see what all this 'popsicle' and 'tootsie pop' stuff is referring to.

I just know I missed something R E A L L Y good.

• galium
    16 years ago

tracyvine-is this what you're looking for?????
    {{gwi:1290820}}

You need tubes (pictures without a background); a program to work with photo's (Photo Shop-I have an old program it's called Painter Classic-so you can write on the photos); then upload to Photobucket or some other photo hosting site. Actually poison helped me originally the rest I just figured out myself.
    Good luck,
    Mariann

• vela75
    16 years ago

OHHHHHH NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got my super duper most awesomest box from nuthatch today, came inside and posted as I was opening the box...I listed everything I got with lots of ooooo's and ahhhhh's and Yipppeees! I then took everything outside, came back in to relax and got on the computer...my post isn't here!!! ARGHHHH!!!!! It's raining out now, so I can't really go out and look at everything again...please help me out here if I forget something nuthatch.

I still have the seeds inside....they are
    Lion's Tail
    Salvia Subrotunda
    Salvia Coccinea - Big Texas Sage
    Stella D'Oro Daylily

I also got the greatest minty smelling soap

Funny item - A magnet with a bag lady looking woman on it holding a wand. It says "Miracle Worker (Abra-friggin-cadabra!) LOL!!!

I got the cutes little butterfly windchime with a garden hook to hang him on!! He's sooooo cute!!!

A big bagful of Red Oriental Lilies!!! WOOHOOOO!!! (Does anyone know if I can let these dry out and plant them next spring???)

Ok....I might need help remembering the plants....there were 12 (yes 12) in all!!!

3 bunches of Lily of the Valley (white)
    Variegated Mint (smells sooooo good)
    2 bunches of Coneflower
    Rose of Sharon Mauve with a dark eye
    2 bunches of Hens and Chicks
    There were some different Salvia's (I don't own any and they look GORGEOUS (I looked them up)!!!

Oh, I'm sorry, I just can't seem to remember if there were any more but that doesn't mean I didn't like them...I was soooo excited about EVERYTHING I pulled out of the box!! (were there three salvias or am I forgetting something?),

Thank you thank you thank you nuthatch!!!

And Thank you thank you thank you Diene, for acting as me and taking on my responsibility of the swap. You are truly an awesome gal!!!

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Hi wild ladies,

I got your email Medont and of course you will get some. Tracy I got yours too. Sad thing is I don't remember answering them this morning before work so I will have to check! Sheesh, getting used to not being so lazy is gonna take some time for me lol. I got home and there were TWO boxes of plants on my porch (I even worked late today, but got off early yesterday0. One was some Daylily's that I had ordered, I hope they are easy growing and I don't kill them. The other box was from Debbya, she and I did a trade and OMGOODNESS she sent me some beautiful roses and some ground cover. I LOVE THEM!!!! Its been raining here all day today but I think I am going to get out there and plant all these.
    Fox was already at home when I got home and had the kitchen cleaned and had one load of laundry done! (Should've started back to work long ago!!!) He just laughed and shook his head when he saw the plants in the sink ready to be planted, asked when I needed him to dig some holes for me! HAHA gonna surprise him and show him I CAN dig a hole for the plants!
    Ananda, I am sooo sorry that your nephew is having to go through all of that. My prayers to your family and nephew and the g/fs family too.
    Such a cute pic Melissa, Blue is the in color I hear!! ;)
    I am going to have to stop the icecream man now just to see one of these popsicles, will have a totally different outlook next time I eat one of the Bombs in my freezer now, hmmmm hahaha
    Smiles,
    Pixie

• vela75
    16 years ago

It stopped raining, and I ran outside real quick....I forgot the Copper Iris!!! How in the world did I forget that? I was sooo excited about it!! LOL! Thanks again nuthatch!!!

• nuthatch_mo
    16 years ago

Vela-I am so glad that it got there and everything was OK, was starting to get worried that the Post Office had lost the box. This was my first multi-plant box and I was afraid I had not packed it well enough. What a relief. I think there was only 2 Salvia's a Black & Blue and S.greggii Furman's Red, they are both good hummingbird plants, as are the Big Texas Sage and S. subrotunda. The subrotunda is an experimental Salvia and is not available for sale anywhere, I grew it as part of a trial for the first time last year. Salvia needs light to germinate so when you sow them just put them on top of the soil and keep moist.

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Great box, Vela!! See, aren't ya glad we didn't listen to you??? :O)

Okay..wanted to let everyone know that I will not have internet at home anymore, so the only time I can get online will be when I'm at work. Sunday-Thursday, nights. So...while it may seem like I"m ignoring ya'll....I"m really not. Honestly. :O)

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Oh, Melissa - I'm sorry to hear that! But - trust me girl, I understand! I'll miss having you here a lot though! What is it you do at that radio station anyway? Are you a DJ??? You seem like you could be! :)

Tracy - I wanted to comment on your insurance thing this morning. I so totally agree with you!! Dave and I went for a LONG time without insurance. The kids fortunately have been covered most of the time, as Iowa is one of those states that has a great program for uninsured kids. HAWK-I is a wonderful program that provides insurance for kids for only $10/month, with a $20/month max per family. And that is only if your income is above a certain level. Under that level, and it doesn't cost anything. Then, if it is below an even lower level, you get put on Medicaid. Dave is self-employed, and our income is very low. For a while, when there was very little work, he worked for someone else. The insurance there cost him as an employee like $300/month. To add me on would have cost an additional $600/month. To add the kids would have been absolutely horrible. So, as he has some medical problems, we paid for his insurance, and that was it. Then when he quit working there, we paid COBRA for a while, and the cost for his insurance was $686/month - JUST FOR HIM!! It was horrible! But, as his health care costs were high, we had to keep it up. With HAWK-I, you have reapply each year, and when we went to reapply last year, the kids were denied for HAWK-I, and our application was sent to human services for Medicaid. Well, were we surprised when the worker called me and said that our whole family qulified for Medicaid. I thought she meant all the kids, but she made it clear to me that Dave and I would be covered as well. Had the woman been standing in front of me, I would have kissed her!! :) Finally, I had insurance (well, when I was pregnant, I had Medicaid too, but only for that period of time, and then no insurance again.) Although it is absolutely wonderful, there are drawbacks. For instance, around here, none of the dentists will take new patients that have Medicaid. None. So, Dave and I have to go about an hour away to a government funded dental office. The kids already had a dentist, from while they were on HAWK-I, so they still can go nearby. But, William, my 9 year old had to have kind of an emergency root canal last week, and as he is young, his dentist didn't want to do it - it was pretty complicated. He sent us to Des Moines to an endodontist. Silly me didn't think to ask if they took Medicaid, so we drove the hour there, went to check in, and were told they didn't take our insurance. I told them he really needed it done, and they said, well, you can pay for it out of pocket, we'd need $200 today. There was no way I could do that, especially knowing the $200 wouldn't even come close to covering it, so we had to leave. That was absolutely heartbreaking to me to have to walk back out of there with my son, whose tooth is hurting so bad that it makes him cry! (But, it was my fault for not thinking to ask.) So, I called his dentist, and said the endodontist said we should try Iowa City (there is a low-income program there for most anything). William's dentist's office said we could do that, but we would probably have to wait a month or more. They called a few minutes later and said his dentist would do it, but was apprehensive. Okay, so I'll take an apprehensive dentist over a month with my son in pain!! Anyday! So, long story short, it was taken care of, but not without a lot of hassle! Wow - I think I just wrote a book! Sorry everyone!!

Anyway, I guess the point of my whole long winded story is - it never hurts to check with the human services department in your county to see if you qualify for any programs! Just like Tracy said! :)

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Actually, it's a TV station. I work in the control room. I"m responsible (don't laugh at that!) :O) for keeping the station on the air, managing the playlist, editing a few shows and setting up satellites. UGH...alot of computer work. I HATE computers. :O) But I like that I'm on my own schedule, for the most part. It's a really laid back job. (obviously...since I'm ONLINE most of the night. LOL) Doesn't pay well at all, though. :O)

My kids are actually on ArKids 1st, a goverment insurance here in Arkansas. We qualify for the "B" program, which just means that at every Dr or Dentist appt, we never pay more than a $10 co-pay. Even at the ER, nothing more than the $10. So that's nice....but it's a PITA to get them in to see a DR. Northwest Arkansas is so overcrowded, and the dr's that take medicaid are so limited, that they have certain #'s of patients they are allowed by law to see, so if you don't have an assigned DR, you are SOL. Nobody will see you. At all. So only 3 of my 5 kids have DR's. You have to call a special #, and then you have to tell them what dr you'd like to be assigned, adn they tell you yes or no. If it's no, you have 2 more choices. You are only allowed to try 3 times during any 24 hr period. And they WILL NOT TELL YOU what Dr's have openings. You have to GUESS.
    SEE WHAT I MEAN BY P.I.T.A.???????????????????????????????????????????????

I am so frustrated...my 8 year old son was sick for 2 YEARS before we could get him in to a DR, and he's been seeing specialists since then. He has Lupus & a strep infection that is drug resistant, he'll never be rid of it. Just gotta keep it under control. He contracted strep when he was 2, and it just took over. Partly b'c of the Lupus, I"m sure....ANYWAY.

I could go on and on about how I have a love/hate relationship with the whole medicaid thing...but I won't. (you're welcome) :O)

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

You know what's funny? I ALMOST took a job at a Radio station a few months ago, as a DJ! The night time host was leaving, and I know him, he is a guest on one of the live shows we do here at the station, so I was gonna take his job....but I didn't ....because I thought I COULDn't talk enough!!!!
    Can ya believe that???

• diene
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It makes me so angry to hear the stories about insurance and doctors. I come from a different time and I think it is awful that in the US, the richest country in the world, we cannot offer medical care to our children. I am speechless which is going some for me.
    I have no children but I think they are our most precious commodity. Do not let your children go without!! The only good thing the US did is eliminate debtor's prison. You can pay a Doctor as little as $ 1.00 a week if that is all you can afford and there is nothing they can do to you. Do not let your pride hurt your children! I know that is easy to say, but in the grand scheme of things, what is more important?
    Sorry, it scares me to think this is happening and it does not touch my life. I do not know what I can do to help but if you need some advice on a specific issue, e-mail me directly. No promises. diene

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

It IS very difficult to believe that we can't get decent health care in this country. My husband and I aren't covered by insurance, we simply cannot afford it. We make less than $40K a year, (that's before taxes) and if we got insurance through his company....Well, it would reduce our income to 1/3 of that. It 's awful.
    My husband had a very difficult time signing the kids up for ArKids, It was the whole "I'm supposed to provide for my family, I'm less of a man if I can't" thing. Which is the same reason he doesn't want me working.
    But I went behind his back both times, and it took over a year to get all the paper work done and DHS to FINALLY approve my kids. Now, it's been for the last 2 years trying to get a DR for them......Ggggrrrrrrrrr.

But I count my blessings, at least they have coverage now, and if there's an emergency, I can at least get them into an ER.
    It's just one of those things, as a parent, you feel so helpless about. And really ticked off...I mean, just what in the $*! do we pay taxes for, anyway?!

Ok. Bunny's off her soap box now.
    Sorry.
    :O)