Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
UPDATE: Next round of Mirth in the Manure

Posted by diene Z4ME (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 07 at 22:00

Hello all;
I came to visit and let galium know that I am sending her box tomorrow. I wanted to send daylilies but they are not ready sorry. I hope you do enjoy what I send.
I am also happy to see you have two more robins planned, what a great thing. This has exceeded my wildest expectations and I have met a great group of people. Wonder what happened to the lone male, he dropped from sight. Not that I blame him. diene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: UPDATE: Next round of Mirth in the Manure

Ooohhhh.....Thanks for starting a new thread, Diene! I totally dropped the ball on that one, didn't I?? I never even realized we were that close...

o

Hi, is this thread open to all GW members or do you have to be a member of this group?

Trina

o
Trina

Hi Trina! This group is for everyone, new and old! The swap itself is over right now, we are just finishing up and sending out all of our boxes.
But you are more than welcome to come by any time and chat with us! And wait for the next swap to start in a bit...Laurie will be our hostess for that one!
(a bit of warning though...these girls tend to talk dirty....and act a little nuts...) LOL Hhhhmmmm.....Maybe you'll fit right in after all? :O)

o

lol Thanks Melissa and WHOOO??? LIL OL ME??? Imma innocent lambkins really ;)!!! I just love to gab (as you well know I am sure!!!)

Trina

o
Diene

Diene, How do you pronounce your name?? Is it like Diane? I love the spelling of it.

Trina

o

Uh oh... Another nut has joined the group! Hi Trina! Welcome! We are not all nuts, I swear. Just most of us, myself included! Alright, we need your stats. Vela made me tell all when I was new, so now it's your turn. Tell us all about you! You sound fun already!
Tracy

o
ut ohhh

lol UT OHHH Has Melissa been whispering out loud????? Just Kidding. hmmm well lets see, I dyed my "white tie in the back jacket PINK" I am the mother to 3 boys and a hubby. (OK so they have to put up with me too). I love being outside and I love laughing. I also have a serious side after all I did start a new job today!!! (after years of not working). Hmmmm what else ya wanna know???? OHHH and I haven't been "certified" yet but I do love to have fun!

Trina

o
Pecan

I would rather not be called a nut though!!!! After all I can be a Pecan right????
trina

o
Thanks Tracy

sheesh, I am sorry Tracy, I got tickled and forgot to tell you thank you for the welcome and the compliment.
Trina

o

Pixie-Welcome to the group.

Now melissa--don't scare the lambkin off by telling her we talk dirty...LOL We only talk about our fancifull plants, you know that.

Hi Diene--Where ya been?

o
such warm welcomes

Thank you Chrystallake lol I don't scare that easily really, I just hide ma eyes ;)

Trina

o
Pixie

Oh boy, she is a nut. watch out. she may give medont a run for her money! LOL! You are welcome for the welcome! No apologies necessary! Congrats on the new job! Seems to be in the air today. Our friend laurieann just got called up for an interview today and she wasn't even looking. We are all wishing her luck and prayers and will offer a few for you on your new job too while we're at it!

So what kind of plants are your favorites? How long have you been digging in the dirt?

Tracy

o
Digging dirt

well thanks for the congrats, I wasn't looking either, but the guys of my house were looking for me, they actually brought me the # at two different times unbeknowing to each other so what the heck I called and walaa! I will put Lauriann on my prayer list also.

I love anything that loves me back as far as plants! I love them all but no they don't all love me back :( oh well. I have been playing in the dirt for as long as I remember, starting with some sunflower seeds and oysters in Okinawa (yes I said Oysters, ma daddy told me that if I planted them they would grow so hey I believed him! I was 5 yrs old) My dad is a gardener also. I haven't been very good at gardening in the past 2.5 yrs though. I'll tell my story, plz don't seclude me because of it. I am living again. On Christmas Day of 04 our family was at our oldest's sons house in Okla, we were to celebrate Christmas with my family. My hubby and 12 yr old son Cole went early to get donuts from Loves Store and on the way back rolled the truck. Cole was killed instantly, my hubby wasn't hurt. My Love Garden that you will hear me talk about was made from the plants we received from his funeral (more than 150) his friends made it for me. That being said, that is why I have been a "hermit" for the past 2.5 yrs. I am living again and laughing again. Life is Good. I had a Blessing for 12 years and still have many Blessings to go before I see Cole again. Ok nuff of the sappy stuff.
I AMMM getting my gardens back in order and having fun doing it.

Trina

o
pecannnn

<<<<~~ NOT A NUT..... Pecan remember!!! wink wink

o
Favorites???

Tracy that is a hard question.... I love all of them I don't think I have a particular favorite though. Thinking Thinking Thinking....

Trina

o

PLEASE YA'LL DON'T GET SPEECHLESS!!! I am still me!!! I don't want ya'll to feel uncomfortable talking to me honestly. You will hear me talk about my boys, my dogs, my plants and prolly alot of other things. I didn't tell ya'll that to make you feel uncomfortable talking to me I told you that because its part of me. I still laugh and cut up. So Laugh with me!

o

You know something funny about nuts....I actually HATE hazelnuts!! :O) But I dunno...Almondbunny just didn't sound as good. LOL

Oh yeah...Trina...You fit right in. You and Medont may just take over this thread. :O) Geeze...let's not give you two any caffeine..... LOL :O)

Hmmm....Well, Melanie..as long as Medont doesn't bring up her bushy naked ladies and Poison doesn't show off her hairy balls, I think we'll be just fine. :O)

Although.....I hear tell that Vela has a nice long Hoseus.

o

WOOOHOOO!!!!!

Pixies are so cool! Welcome!

I have a feeling this next swap is going to be a blast!

Thanks for all the prayers girls. :o)

And....only 10 more days till "D" day... :o)

laurieanngarris...aka...autumnfairy

o
Rolling in Laughter now Sheesh

lol Melissa!!! I am not a coffee drinker nor do I like chocolate lol, go figure eh???? lmao PecanBunny doesn't sound good for you either! I just figured ya took your name from Hazelnut coffee creamer lol. (ok so I do like Choco. Coffee but not all the time) Melissa??? hmmmm are you saying I talk (type) too much???? lol j/k.

Gonna have to meet Medont and her naked ladies and Poison and hmmm her hairy balls ( I take stock in Gillette btw!!! I just don't shave them things) (sorrry sorry yes I said that but) I KNOW Poison had to have been talking about birdhouse gourds! Dang Melissa....!!!! hmmm I think you may instigate with words!!! blush blush blush!!!!
Trina

o
Celllll - a - brate good times, C'MON!!!

Hmmm...Maybe the theme for your swap should be FREEDOM, Laurie!! :O)

Anybody else have the song "Girls just wanna have fun" running through their head?

No???

Okay...it's just me, then.
Sorry.
:O)

o
OK, It's PECAN!

Trina, we just weren't here. Don't worry! We don't know how to clam up around here. Or would that be oyster up? Hmm. I just got back from visiting ebay and checking on the competition and visiting the lily gals.

I am sorry for the loss of Cole. That is horrible. I can not say I know how you feel only that I feel your loss. We lost my nephew 6 years ago. It was a v-bac birthing gone terribly wrong and my sister in law and I were both pregnant together. It took a very long time for me to be able to feel like I could breathe again after that. It still takes my breath away for a few minutes when I remember. The guilt was tremendous, especially when I had Jack 3 months later.

I love your "Love Garden". What a beautiful thing to create. I am in awe. As far as favorites go, they can change with the week or what is in bloom now! My personal favorite right now is my clematis. I have loved them for a long time and until the last few years had no idea that there could be so many different varieties. I am looking to add more, and more, and more. Especially the double or large blooming kinds!

Tracy

o
Fairys and Pixies whoohooo

OHHH MY Goodnesss!!! Laurie is Autumn Fairy???? Ohhhh Girlie I love your costume!!!!!!! You are very pretty!!! I have a pixie costume that I wear for our harvest festival!!!! Good Luck on "D" Day!!! Our prayers are with you girlie girl! Keep those wings humming!

Trina (the Pix)

o
pictures!

Okay, Trina....You absolutely HAVE TO go to the other threads for this swap. If nothing else, go to #3, and look at Poison's big hairy ...UH...plant.

Honestly...we're all talkin' plants, here. :O)

o

BUNNY! You started it this time! Not me! Sh! You're not going to be able to use that computer again!

o
uh huh sure

Thank you Tracy and I am sorry for your familys loss also. In case ya haven't figured out I am a hick lol, I am learning that plants have real names instead of "plant from hades" or wonder plant etc. lol I wish I could get this Vista to send pictures normally and I would show ya'll my pond and Love gardens (other gardens round here are in sad shape poor things!)

Ok Melissa I will go look lol. should I hide ma virgin eyes????

Trina

o
Bad BAD bunny.

Shame, Shame on me....

You know what's sad?? We're only up to 20-some odd posts, and I ALREADY can't bring this thread up on my work computer.

BAD BUNNY!!!! :O(

o

ahhhhh, hi trina!! i totally understand and most of us do! i am long winded! LOL i lost my brother that i practically raised, so i do kinda mostly understand, if ya got that one, when i lost him it was like losing my own child. minusing childbirth of course LOL i'm so glad to hear your doing so much better! :')) geezh i went to topeka today to my mom's and of course she wasn't home, truckdriving and all, but the kids wathced a couple of hours of sponge bob, i don't know if my mind went numb becuse the laugh or becuase the meds made my mind numb LOL one of them side effects lucky me!!! LOL :')) it can be fun if your bored and demented!! pokin at your face to see of you can really feel it or something like that. LOL its like 11:30 and these kids ae driving me nuts! i absolutely do not exist to them!!!! hmmm, (wait till its time to eat, LOL) :')) some more mg's bloomed this morning!! and i don't know if they are datura's or brugs that are fixin to bloom!! but i'm so excited!!! LOL it kinda reminds me of chiken feet, the leafs. but i'm trying to grow some seeds in the house, the lemon mint just popped up, and one shelled ginger popped up. i'm looking for an oriental lily. can i grow one in the house? just curious! now the kids are fighting over the property, the livingroom and diningroom. ahhhhh hmmmm, they are on my property!! LOL so trina, what don't ya like?? we can start there! LOL
hey mel, i just got in some blue and purple stuff. interested??? :')) good night girls!! nice to "see" ya dien and welcome aboard trina!! :'))

o
floreoso varigotto mr robotto

OMG! Bunny did it again!

Pecan nut roll: Yum, Great, now I'm hungry!

You are not alone in just learning that plants have real names! Drives me crazy just thinking about it. Especially when you look at the plant trades and someone post a latin long a-- name and I don't have a clue what they are talking about! Then later I look on google and find out I have what they are looking for and woops, too late, they got all the plants they need or are out of the ones I was looking for! Ugh!

o
pokey pokey

medont! LOL! Poking your face! ROFL! Doink, doink, doink! LOL!

o
Thanks ya'll, you are all awesome!

Thanks and you have to be Medont, very great to meet ya!!! hmmm what don't I like??? well the only things I really can say I don't like are poultry (to eat but the guys love it go figure), Windows Vista, and hmmm I am sure there are other things but don't know what. I really even think poison ivy, oak and sumac are pretty plants but then I am not allergic to them. I don't like my gourds that aren't producing right now just lots of flowers and vines, but they are pretty! Thanks for the welcome Medont.

OK NOW WHAT kind of plant is that??? (the "hairy ball" plant) Ya'll have some beautiful flowers and plants!!! I didn't know that Lambsears bloomed!!!! Mine didn't make it, I traveled for 4 days and the guys forgot to water my plants and that one just couldn't stand it :( I could just sit and look at the pictures and dream.

Trina

o
Icing

lol ya'll are a jar of Planters and such a hoot! Tracy does the pecan nut roll have cream cheese icing??? YUMMY Just send me the icing and a carrot cake, I really don't like pecans unless its peppered pecans lol. Or smoked almonds or just plain salted, I dont care for them in baked things. (See I knew I had other things I disliked!!!)

I am in the process of now putting plant markers on the plants, hmmm latin name for avacado????

o
Oysters

<<<~~~ if I can join in the next swap Imma gonna send oysters to plant!!! Hopefully they will make good oyster flowers lol

o

that's what i do sometimes! i got it all figured out, some of the lily's go in my right north side of the garden, so i can see them, or maybe in the middle, i' not sure. but i have a big garden space, bigger than my house, LOL sometimes i'd live there if i could! i don't worry abt the chiggers, i have too much indian, not enough white, LOL i tell talla, be carefull, you are to white, although she's much darker than me!! that's the mexican in her! and its a smaller amount. LOL she's so funny!! she's a much better gardener than i am, but i'm just good at weeding, LOL we are doing the grass as mulch, its been really interesting!! to say the least! LOL ewww hubby's home and kids are in trouble, ha ha, LOL he just tells them "you guys should be listening to your mom"
guess what? tomarrow they deliver my shower!! yay!!
gotta go good night girls!!

o
Niters to Medont

Medont
Hate to tell ya woman, chiggars aren't partial!!! Neither are mosquitos!!! I get bit by the both of them and Indian or no they don't care!!! Whooohooo on your shower!

You have good dreams and sleep well.

o
Latin plant names

Here are some long A-- latin plant names for you, Tracy!!

Plantaholica Incurablis
Gardenitis Uncontrollus
Twigga Mortis
PLANTUM WHYDIBUYUM
FUNGUS AMUNGUS
WEEDIS VICTORIUS
ET TU INSECTUS
FLORA DEADUM
PLANTUS UNKNOWNUS
FOLIUS FAKEUS
PEAKUS LASTWEEKUS
COSTA FORTUNII
WEEDIMUS HIGHFALUTIN
INSECTUM DEVOURUM
INSECTUS ATTRACTIS
BLOOMIS NOTIMUS

I've got a few Flora Deadum and Plantus Unknownus.

**** Those are names from garden signs you can buy on Ebay!! :O) I was looking for some plant markers, and the search brought up these...it took me a few minutes to realize, HEY..these aren't real names. DUH. :O)
The Ebay seller's name, if anyone's interested:
La Vie En Rose Gardens

o
Brunette moment here

lol Melissa I have tears streaking ma face now cause it took me a minute to figure out as I was reading your list that they weren't surely real names lol sheesh am I being a brunette tonight or what?????

Imma gonna send you a package of plant stakes painted by me with those names on them!!!! YOUR gonna have to use them too!!!!

o
Plant Stakes

Ya'll don't buy them from E-bay. Melissa just tell me what they look like and I will make them or I will just cut some out and paint them for originals. All I would need to know is who to send them to and which ones they wanted. I can cut them out of poplar and make a plant stake with wire. Very sturdy, I use the wire for yard signs when I do woodworking. It would be fun to make some plant pokes/stakes. Just let me know.

o
Hellooooo

Hi All!! Had a few seconds thought I'd say HOWDY!!.You guys are having WAY too much fun.No dreads for me ( yet)! Will be back home next Sat.Later.....

o
I know I talk too much

<~ not soliciting I promise.... I just love to paint and do woodworking and my mind is already racing with designs for those plant pokes. If you want some just let me know which ones and I will get them cut out and painted and ready to send this weekend. I love doing that, I am going to make some for my "hate me plants" I know. I do woodworking as a hobby, don't know if I mentioned that, I also paint. So guess what else is going in the box if I am here for the next swap????

ps... I am not on meds or coffee. Just hyper by nature I guess.

o

YAY!! I'd love some plant markers, Trina!!! Handpainted? WOW! Totally awesome!!!

o
One of each?

<~already decided I am going to make several of each ones, none will be exactly alike but same category same shape so if you want a set or just a couple just let me know. I like the idea and I LOVE the names. I won't be copying since I don't know what the ones on ebay look like so these will be original with borrowed names eh? WHOOHOOO I GET TO USE MA SAWS AGAIN!!!! (another step for trina kind!!!.... don't mistake me for Katrina the storm, I don't go by Katrina (although its ma real name) I am not that mean!!!!

o

Oooohhh...One of each would be cool!

The ones on Ebay are ICKY! Like, plaster of paris or something plastic....*shudder*... I just thought the names were cute! Wood is ever so much better! :O)

o
Plant Stakes

I like the names. I am going to make them this weekend whoohoo. Imma not going to look at EBay cause these are going to be original lol. Plz if anyone wants any, a set, one or two etc plz email me and let me know. I am going to make a bunch of them this weekend and what I don't send to ya'll will go as gifts. Now I am really excited, Thanks for the Idea Melissa, I have been waiting and waiting for a good one.

Trina

o

Dang! Turn your back for a couple of hours and another thread zooms by! I will have to go back and read all that later.
Thanks Laurie, for hosting the next swap and congratulations on your job opportunity!
Welcome pixie! Diene began this group to provide a place for new folks to mingle and get to know people. I hope we have some more newbies come in. Maybe some druids or trolls or something. I am all about diversity!
Have a great day!

o

Good morning everyone! Wow - you all took off last night! Here I was sleeping, and you all were chatting like crazy! Welcome, Trina! It is very nice to meat you! The plant stakes sound awesome! And I am very sorry to hear about your son. I can't imagine. You will have lots of fun here! I was new in this swap, and still haven't sent my swap box to Alana (can you all tell I am REALLY nervous about sending my first swap box???) Anyway, I have everything chosen, I am just now waiting for Monday, so that hopefully the box won't get stuck at the PO! But still, nervous... Tracy gave me some good tips about sending plants - thank you, Tracy!!

Do any of you can your garden produce? Or are you all mostly flower people? We have pretty good sized veggie gardens, and I have been canning lots of green beans over the past week. I love having my pantry filled with veggies that we grew! Anyway, just was wondering if any of the rest of you do that!

Okay, all caught up on reading, now I need to get something else done around here! Have a great day everyone!

Becki

o

WOW, you guys are really awesome. I can't keep up with you.

Pixie-Many prayers for you and your family.
It seems like you and my sister nutch-hatch have something in common. She also does alot of wood burning. She did a great Memorial bench for our parents and brother, thats in her gardens.
I am on the way out to the dentist and then to visit my sister, I will see everyone sometime later.

o

Golly, we may go for a record number of threads used for one swap..... :O)

Becki - You wouldn't BELIEVE the amount of stuff my family cans...We have so much overload that we still have jars of stuff from '05 in the root cellar! I suppose we're about as country as you can get...make our own clothes, grow our own food, cut our own hair (except mine, haven't cut it in over 6 years...bugs me now, cuz I sit on it all the time. And it's AWFUL hot!!)
And about 9 out of 10 of the "Ya know you're a redneck if...." things apply to us. Ya know....if your car costs more than your house...If you mow the lawn and find a car...If you give car parts as Xmas presents.....If your brother is named Bubba and your Uncle Fred is really your half brother....
Okay, I could go on...but you get my point. Most all apply. Except the uncle fred one. That'd be in my hubby's family, not mine. :O)

o

Melissa - that is SO COOL! I was so totally not raised that way, but after marrying my husband, I have been somewhat transformed! We don't make our own clothes yet, but my husband does cut the boys' hair, and we go to cost cutters for the girls (mine I only cut once a year or so - whenever it totally starts to drive me nuts! I wear it in a ponytail almost cosntantly, so it is SO damaged!!) It is so funny - we raise quite a few different vegetalbes. I was not raised eating much more than corn, peas, and green beans, and they were ALWAYS from the store. Now we grow broccoli, cauliflower, squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, beans, corn, carrots, radishes, onions, peppers, and I'm sure there are some I am forgetting! But what is so funny, is we are constantly offering extra produce to my family, as they live halfway nearby - and they NEVER want it! Okay, so a tomato here and there, and yes, they will take sweet corn, but any of the other stuff, forget it! It is so sad to see how little healthy stuff they eat!! Not to say I am a health nut or anything, but it's just sad to see how I grew up - I am so thankful that I married the man I did!!

I found a magazine I had never heard of yesterday at hthe grocery store - "Mother Earth News". I LOVE IT! It is so totally applicable to the way we try to live! There is an article in this issue about a man who tried to live totally self-sufficient in California, and now in Iowa, and it is an incredible story! He was one of the people who first helped farm at the Seed Saver's farm. I would love to visit there sometime! It's in Iowa, but a few hours and lots of gas $ away! Anyway, I really liked that magazine, and I would highly recommend it!

o
MORNIN' Gals!

Ah, vegies. Did I ever tell you how horrible I am at growing vegies? This year I am growing tomatoes, basil, oregano and peppers and that's it! In the past I have done spinach, lettuce, zuchini, peppers, tomatoes and much to my chagrin, they always got some bug, too much sun, too much water, not enough water etc etc etc. Every year a failed crop! Ugh.

This year I actually have peppers growing and the tomatoes are doing great! Crossing my fingers, closing my eyes, offering a prayer of thanks. It is a miracle!

I used to grow strawberries, but I decided to stop, I was not happy that the bunnies were enjoying all of the fruits of my labor! The black raspberries were all doing great this year, should have been a nice crop, then the japanese beetles swarmed and I found them with their heads buried in the berries! Sucking the juice right out of them. Gross! Now, How do you suppose I can feel warm and fuzzy about ever eating those again when I have the mental image of the ugly buggers with their heads stuck in my berries???? Never again.

Trina, The markers sound like such fun! I would love some! You pick the names! I'm sure they will be totally hillarious! Tell me when to send postage or an envelope and how big!

Bunny: Those markers were hillarious! I nearly spit my morning coffee on the computer! LOL!

o
Dentist and Hair

Melanie: Can you have the dentist check my tooth for me while you're there? Thanks! It's on the left in the back, tell him I just need a filling, nothing fancy, that's all.
LOL! I really need to go to the dentist. I can't eat ice cream anymore. So sad. But, I have lost 2 inches around my waist! Yay! Don't own a scale so I don't know what it amounts to in lbs.

I get my hair cut every 6 weeks or so, whenever I can't see. Shaggy dog syndrome! LOL! I used to have really long hair but it got wrapped around the babies fingers all the time and then I was shedding like crazy all the time! Gross! I was losing my hair in droves. Finally, 2 years after having my 5th kid, it stopped falling out and I have a normal full head of hair again. Whew! I thought I was going to have female pattern baldness for a while there. Talk about depressing.

o

Oh, Tracy! You have no idea how much I wonder if I am going to go bald! Whenever I wash my hair, I end up with all kinds of hair in the drain. My youngest is almost 3 now, so I hope it stops soon. I think part of my problem is my thyroid though. Mine is incredibly slow, and although I haven't researched it very thoroughly, I have a feeling my hair loss is maybe because of the slow thyroid, or the incredible amount of medication I need to take to try to correct it! That, plus the fact that I constantly am pulling on my hair to put it up (becuase I hate that hot back of the neck feeling!) I think add up to hair loss. But.. so far, I don't see a big difference in the thickness of my hair, just lots of hair in the shower drain! Yuck!

OMG bugs are such a problem here! I am trying so hard to go more natural, and stop using pesticides, but it is SO HARD! When there are bugs eating everything in sight, it is so hard not to run for the Sevin! And all the worms in the broccoli! Ick!!! So, this year, we are still using the pesticides, but hopefully over the next few years we can phase that out! My poor sunflowers - I am trying so hard not to spray them, as I want them to be pollinated, so I can save and trade the seeds! But every day I am having to knock all kinds of what look like cucumber beetles off of them! I knock them into soapy water, and over the last couple of days, I have literally gotten at least a hundred of them off of my few sunflowers! So yucky! Now, please tell me that they are wind pollinated, so I can spray them! I don't know why I didn't think of that before, but I think they are, aren't they?

Okay, enough babbling! You gals are great!

And, Trina, like Tracy I would love a few - any of them, and just let me know about the postage and all! Thank you!

Becki

o

Morning Ladies (well afternoon here)

I love to can and do have a couple veggies out there, some tomatoes and several different kinds of basil and am trying out birdhouse gourds, the vine is beautiful but it just flowers and then drops them. I generally get veggies from the farmers market for canning though. Oh and.. a bird left me a present (I am guessing it was a bird) of I think blackberry seeds that are now taking over it is flowering so I guess soon I will find out what kind of berry it is if any at all. Thank you all for being so wonderful in the welcomes.

I won't even get started on hair lol. Tracy I plan on making the markers this weekend whoohoo I am excited about that. I will take some pictures and try to post them. Prayers for your maters also Tracy!
Beckilove the magazine sounds very interesting. Poison hmmm don't know about trolls, seems Fox (my hubby) can be one when it comes to "my weeds" and "my babies" lol. but he does do alot of work with both if I ask him. (which of course I do lol) Good luck at the dentist Melanie bring home some laughing gas eh? Well I am off the rest of the day whoohoo great job right? BTW... I learned another lesson last night!!!! I stayed up way too late and 6.5 am came awfully early after not being used to getting up so early it bout killed me. I think I rattle on when I get nervous lol.

Smiles,
Pixie

o

Ok: Hair issues, get your thyroid retested. My sister in law had issues in this department and her meds needed to be lowered! The levels change with time. Cut your hair and stop pulling it back! This pulls out more hair from the weight and the tightness of using a band. Once your hair is cut it has the opportunity to recover. Mine is now as full as it was at the end of my teen years and just 1 year ago you could see scalp. If these tips don't do the trick then buy rogaine! My hairdresser has 2 customers who use it and she said the changes were amazing. It does work!

Sunflower pollinating: You have kids, right????? Then you probably have a nasal aspirator! AKA Booger Sucker in my house! LOL! Take it and pollinate the sunflowers yourself! Squeeze, suck in the pollin from one, squeeze again and pollinate the next one! Wee, no bees were harmed in this experiment! LOL! If you don't have one then go to the drugstore and pick one up!

o

My hubby and I remind me of the "little red hen" story....I'm always asking him "Who will help me weed the watermelons?" He and the kids are like.."Not me!" Lol....but then, they sure do want to EAT the watermelons!!! :O)
But he does help, when he thinks the weeds are getting out of control. Which is about once a summer. :O) Other than that, he just wades through them to get to the "good stuff". :O)
I would pull weeds more often, but with my bad hip, it's really hard to stay in the garden that long. Too much bending over or kneeling, and I'm hurting for the rest of the week! :O) (and I get reallllll grumpy when I'm hurting...so he doesn't say much about the weeds.) lol :O)

Trina, girl...you don't know what you got yourself into with the plant markers... LOL You are gonna be sooooooo busy this weekend!!! :O)

o
Boogiebulb

OHHH Melissa I am going to have soo much fun!! I haven't used my saws in forever, haven't had a reason to. I am sure that Fox will love it too, it will keep me from bugging him while he works on the Scout. It really won't take that long to cut them out and put them together and the painting I can invision them now and am really excited, it will be a hoot to do this. I may even get started on them this evening!

Tracy I like the idea of the boogiebulb. I am sure it will work on other plants too right?
Pixie

o

Tracy - I think my thyroid was last tested less than 3 months ago (or right around there), so I am pretty sure it is still right - I don't think my insurance would let me test more often anyway. But yes, I do know that it changes, and will get it tested often! I will definitely think about the hair cut things though. I like having long hair, but I also know it would be much healthier shorter - it's a real toss up for me! But, don't worry - even though I see lots of hair in the drain, there is seriously no shortage of hair on my head, yet!

Oh, Melissa - I just have to tell you - I meant to say something the other day when you posted the picture of you morning glories - you might have started yours a little late, but trust me, not as late as me!! I traded for some Chocolate Silk morning glory seeds (might have been you, Melanie, or maybe someone else.) Anyway, I could not wait to plant them, so I did so REALLY late! The little babies are all of about 1 1/2" tall right now - but look pretty healthy, and I'm sure they will take off soon! I couldn't find anywhere to plant them that they will climb (all those places are taken already), so I put them in a hanging basket. Is that a bad idea? My husband thinks so. If it is, I'll take the basket down, and try to fashion some sort of trellis with twigs (yep, I'm sure that will look real good!)

Thanks for the idea of pollinating with the nasal aspirator! Yep, I have a few of those around! What an awesome idea! Glad you ladies are so resourceful!!

o
Pond

WHOOOHOOO I just got a box of water hyancyths (sp I know) from a trade. OMGOODNESS they are beautiful and sooo many. So I have been playing in the pond with the fishies and dogs too! I think Rebs thinks the pond is his personal swimming pool and he couldn't understand why I was in it!!! I just love this trading stuff!!!!

Smiles,
Pixie

o

Pixie: Yep the "boogie bulb" will work for absolutely anything you want to pollinate! If you are pollinating more than one type of any plant make sure to wash and dry it thoroughly before using it on the next series. Or don't and see what you end up with! Could be fun!

Becki: Glad to hear you are testing regularly! My SIL let it go for several years in between visits and was waaaaay off in her meds. Don't know why her doc kept refilling her old order for rx. Should have made her come in for a work up! It was a hard decision to chop off my hair. I was getting desperate for ways not to look so thin on top! My hairdresser told me this is it, no questions about it. Just do it. I am so glad you have plenty on your head! It was sickening taking a shower and watching it all wash out. Ugh. Glad that is over now.

Melissa: You and I run in parallels. I have a disorder called spondyloarthropathy. It is degenerating my hip, knees, and back. My x-rays look arthritic in those areas, mostly on the right side of my body. Mornings are hard, that is when it is at its worst. I am supposed to be taking sulfasalazine to reverse the effects but it makes me wake up constantly at night. So I mainly just use rx anti inflamatories. It bites the big one when I put in a new bed in the garden! I hurt pretty badly for a few weeks after digging with a spade. That is why I have my lovely hubby help with the big digger! It may take a while for him to get it started but it does make fast work of big areas. Drives me crazy feeling so decrepit at such a young age. Most folks don't have these probs till they're in their 50's and 60's. My mom has been poking fun at me since I was a kid with all of my aches and pains. I just got diagnosed 2 years ago and have been dealing with it since I was 11.

o
ditzy moment here

Sheesh Imma gonna have to call this one a blonde moment! I was so excited about the water plants that when I emailed Linda to thank her for them I sent the email to myself instead of her!!!

Thanks for the tips Tracy, gonna try that both ways and like you said "have fun" I know kinda how ya'll feel, I have achie knees from playing catcher in softball. Kills me to kneel down for long periods of time. Kills anyone else trying to help me up and hearing me squawkin too.

Melissa I emailed you a couple pictures, let me know if this earthlink mail let them go through, Yahoo won't let them with this Vista Windows. They are large also. sorry

o

Oh, Tracy - that sounds so painful! Wow - you've lived with that for a long time! I'm glad your husband helps you with making new beds! I don't know what I would do if I couldn't ever make new beds!

Melissa - is your hip always that bad as well? I am so sorry to hear that you girls have so much pain! Makes me thankful that I can pull weeds and dig beds without much more than a sore back and tired muscles!

o

My hip is because of a birth defect (mom didn't believe in giving up anything while pregnant and smoked several packs a day with all of us kids....which might explain my brother.....LOL) Anyway. I have a few birth defects, but my hip is the worst. The most unusual one is my pinky fingers. They are only about 1 inch long. No middle joint. And my ears are teeny tiny too. Only 1 inch from top to bottom. They look like normal ears, just miniature versions of them! My 16month old has bigger ears! :O) Makes it difficult to buy earrings, though...Have to buy the INFANT sizes..which are STILL too big! LOL :O)

ANYWAY. My hip is missing the (I'm gonna use technical terms here..hope I don't confuse anyone) ball at the end of the thigh bone. (see?) And my pelvis doesn't have the dip in it for the hip ball thing...so.. I have no joint, basically. Just a leg bone...not connected with anything. They put some pins in there when I was 3, to keep things together (quack doctor), and bone has formed around those. So my hip has extremely limited movement, and of course, is just bone-on-bone, so it can be extremely painful.
Evidently, I was supposed to have a complete replacement (how can you replace something that isn't there to begin with?) or rebuild in my teens, after I stopped growing, but my parents couldn't afford it, so they never even told me about it.
I found out later, when I went to a DIFFERENT dr just how bad it really is. I still haven't had the surgery, we've had so many things happen, and no insurance. So it's one of those things that keeps getting put off. But me and Tylenol have become best friends through it all...so things aren't all bad. LOL :O)
I do have good days, though, were I can get out and play with the kids. Usually only the days that aren't too hot or cold. Temperature really affects the old hip joint. :O)

Well...hope that wasn't TMI. :O) Now ya'll now all about me and my broken parts. :O) LOL

o
Ouch!

Absolutely not TMI, Melissa! That sounds very painful to me! I wish you could have your replacement done somehow! My husband needs that as well, and I understand how difficult it is to have the money and the time to do it! Not a simple task, is it?

o

Hi hi,
Wow I'm away for 2 days and I gotta catch up! Hey there pixie.
Sorry for the quiet last few days, hubby fell hard and needed stiches (litterally walked out of his leg again, he didn't even tell me the socket cup was loose). Since he's got 18 inches on me when he falls I can't "catch him" best I can do is not get fallen on (if I'm fast enough I can push him to a wall so he's not hitting the floor).
Its more veggies here than flowers, this year it's tomatoes, cukeapalloza, 6 kinds of melons, pumpkins, bell peppers, onions, garlics, random herbs. The veggies are done SQFT style, the melons and pumpkins have thier own patch. Hubby's built me a new 3x3 bed for his zukes next summer.
Work wise, the preschool is growing 50-100 5 gallon buckets of tomatoes and veggies to give to seniors to our "adopt a granny" program (there's 16 senior homes in town, each year we "buddy up" with seniors who come twice a month to read stories, do art and play games with the kids, last month was our "sock hop" with a 50's theme), once the plants his the 6-8 inch size they'll go to seniors who have a patio (lots of cement patios out here, but no real decient soil) to help supliment the diets of the seniors.
Sadly, I am no longer pregnant, so I took a few days off to deal with that, but onward and upward right?
Anyways, much loves, I'm gonna go water the divided daylillies now.

o
New blooms and update on new plants

Hey gals! I thought I would lighten the mood with some pictures of the new blooms and some of the results of Vela's generosity in the last trade. My seedling balloon flowers have finally all grown up and here they are! Yay! I love these things, they make me smile! Vela your plants are really thriving in the shade garden. The fern has taken off and is getting fuller every day and recently the hosta's sprouted new leaves and are doing very well. Thank you so much for helping out with my new garden!

balloon flower closed
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
After it opened
Vela's hostaPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Vela's other hosta
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Vela's pretty fern

And as for how painful my goofy joints are... well that changes by the day and the weather too. If I haven't been on my feet constantly then I am in good shape the next day. But the busier I am the more aggravated these parts get! Good reminder to slow down sometimes! This is most likely a genetic thing. It was mild when I was younger and it just showed in my knees at that point, but as I got older the other areas started to develop problems too. The hip is definitely in the worst shape. Anti inflamatories do the trick most days though. I could have worse problems.

Melissa: I feel for you. But I bet you have the cutest ears ever. My ears tip out at the tops. If my hair is pulled back I look like I belong at the north pole! Wouldn't fit in there being 5' 10" though! LOL! My parents thought I was full of bologna when I was a kid. Always complaining about knees hurting. My dad took me in when I was 11 and my knee had flipped out of place. That is when they saw a bit of arthritis. My mom was the biggest dope about it. Just called it growing pains and to stop whining. Ugh. Went to the rheumatologist a few years ago and he ran every test in the book, blood, xrays, mri blah blah blah. Anyway, here we are knowing what it is and I still don't take the meds I am supposed to because they don't agree with me.

o

Ah, fishy mama: I am sorry for your loss, darlin. I am adding you to my prayers.

o

Hi Fishy, Sorry and Prayers to you hon. Prayers for your Hubby also. Sounds like you have your hands full with preschool, God gives special patience and love for those with the calling of being a teacher/care-giver. Your veggies sound awesome, I really wish (ok sometimes wish) that we had cooler weather here so I could grow different types of veggies (like lettuce, cabbage, brocc. things like that) I did plant some cucumbers and some black cohash (I think thats what its called gonna have to find the packet) and some summer squash YUMMY, but I will have to wait for them to start producing. I like the idea of the tomatoes for seniors and I am sure the preschoolers love watching the lil seeds growing.

Stay safe and Prayers.
Pixie

o

Oh, Fishy! I am so sorry to hear that! I have never had that happen, so I can't imagine the pain you are going through. My sister did lose a baby a couple years ago, and I was the first one she called, because she couldn't get ahold of her husband - just heartbreaking... I will be praying for you, sweetie!

o
Raised beds

Bunny & Tracy, have you thought about a raised bed? build it, fill it with soil mix, and then no heavy digging. I have one on a sawhorse frame, so hubby can dig in without kneeling, I think it's 8 inches deep by 4x3 (about the size of a crib matress). It should help with bending issues too.

o
balloon flowers

Tracy I love the purple balloon flowers!!! I have white balloon flowers, didn't even know what they were when I got them but now I love them also!!! Very Pretty plants!!!

o
No worries

Well we have our boys and that keeps me plenty busy too. We're thinking adoption next year when I finish up my masters, as we both want a girl. However, with him being an amputee and a diabetic, we're not sure if that will rule us out immediatly.

o

I sure hope not, fishy! My sister works for a private adoption agency - when I talk to her tomorrow, I will ask her about that.

o

Wow, Fishy...you do have your hands fun, hun...that's for sure. Putin' your name down on the prayer list...hope ya don't mind. :O)

Well...Seems my BIL is in BIG trouble now. He's 15, and so thought it would be a fun idea to take his dad's new truck out for a joy ride. Without telling anyone. He has no license, and even if he did, in Arkansas, you have to be 18 before you can drive without an adult in the car..ANYWAY. He flipped the truck, and totaled it out. He's OK...at least until his dad gets ahold of him. :O) I think it's a safe bet to say that he's grounded until he's gray headed. :O)
Seriously, though...he is in BIG trouble. For one, the truck wasn't insured with full coverage, so it's a total loss. It was paid for, thank goodness. Second, he's got to go to court because he didn't have a license AND he was driving under age AND he didn't have an adult with him. And I"m pretty sure there's a 'damage to personal property" thing in there somewhere to. Although, liability should cover that.
So..he's in deep doo doo...and BOY is his dad upset.
He'll be working his hiney off for the next few months/years to pay for the cost of the truck. Not to mention the whole "WHAT IN THE WORLD WERE YOU THINKING?!?!" thing he's getting from my hubby. (his brother)

I think he should be held accountable, absolutely with out question, he should have to pay his court fees, fines and serve time, if it's called for. He's certainly old enough to know better.
But at the same time....he's just a kid. This was one of those things that kids do. I know, cause I did it too. (without the wrecking part) Soooo....I just think everyone is being a little too hard on him, and should give him a little slack.

SIGH.

One drama after another in this family. Sheesh. :O)

o

I have the balloon plants like that one and now I also have small seedlings to plant that are pink ones. Can't wait to see those ones.
Man you huys were busy today while I was gone, I had to catch up on everything.
Fishy-Many prayers to you and your hubby.

I have degenirative back disease. My bottom 5 lumbar discs are all going bad. Had the shots last year, but nothing else they can do for them.

I stopped at the farmers market on my way home and bought peaches to can tomorrow. Man, are they ever good.

Talk later.

o
wow

Wow! That is too bad, Melissa! My two stepsons are 22 and 23, so we have been through the whole, "What were you thinking?!?!?!?!" thing too! My oldest is 14, so I can only imagine how hard that is going to be with him! One of my step sons, last year, decided to drive back to his dorm after having a few too many, and ran into a traffic light. He backed up and drove on home, and went to bed. Apparantly the cops didn't have too much trouble finding the pretty much totalled car in the parking lot, and figuring out what happened. He was arrested, and called us the next day, on his dad's birthday! Wonderful thing was, that was our car, that he was borrowing! Only liability on it, and no, not totally paid for. Not a very happy birthday present for my hubby! He has had to take care of everything himself. We help him out as much as we can, but his problems are his problems. He had to buy us another vehicle. (Good thing neither one was very expensive!)

Trust me girl - I am totally with you on the one drama after another around here!!

o

This is a moment when you count your Blessings and say prayers for those achin. Fishy, I am praying that you will get your lil girl and that your heart will heal. Melissa I am praying for your nephew, chaulk this one up to puberty mistakes with a dollar figure in front, behind and overhead! I am also praying for all the nuts and bolts (joints and tendonsand bones) are a part of us all put on their smiley faces and quit aching. I am also praying for my vehicles, they all have just liability on them.
We just got 3 inches of rain (not that we needed it here in Houston) and a very nice thunder storm, knocked out the router on this computer (one thing after another on this thing I tell ya). Of course I called tech support and it took less than 3 minutes for them to figure it all out and have be fixed! I love those people, at least the ones that don't make me feel like a total idiot! Anyways... we once again have "Fox Lake" in our back yard, oh well it aint deep enough to swim or ski in but sure makes for some awesome mud pies!!!
Pixie

o
am I here?

Can ya'll see me? This entire computer thing has got me soo rattled. I don't know if people here are getting my emails or not. Or if I am even visible on these threads or not.

Pixie

o

Melanie - that sounds painful as well! Thanking God that all my parts are still working well! The peaches sound good! Our farmer's market is tomorrow, and I'll be there! We sell eggs whenever we have extra. The past three weeks we haven't had enough, but I've got about 10 dozen now, so I suppose that's worth a trip to town. We will also sell some of the cucumbers and summer squash we pick tomorrow morning. That will be the firt time to sell produce, so it will be a new experience - we'll see how that goes. I usually sell out of eggs, but who knows with the veggies??

The only fruit I have canned so far is applesauce. Our apple tree is not a very good one, and the apples taste pretty crummy, but with enough sugar and cinnamon they make an okay sauce. Good thing I made plenty last year, because our tree only has two apples this year!! I want to plant some more apple trees, but hubby doesn't think we have room. :( There's always room - it's just a matter of how much yard he is willing to give up...

o
Yep, you're here!

I see ya, Pixie!

o
Thank you & applebutter

Thank you Thank you Thank you Becky!!! I hate this Vista (omgoodness I said the H word!!!)

Becky do you make Applebutter??? I love homemade applebutter, my granny used to make it as did my mom and I now have the recipe but have never made any of it. I love the farmers market, I have to travel a bit to get to one but I try to go at least once a week. Good luck on the Veggies, I am sure they will sell fast!!!!

Thanks again
Pixie

o

Aaawwww, MAN! I really REALLY wish the dog hadn't dug up & chewed the balloon flower Melanie sent me in the last swap!! That thing is pretty!! *sniff* :O(
I'd never seen one before.
Phooey.
Oh, well. I still have the Salvia & the Astilbe!! :O) Yay! for little things! :O)

o
balloon flowers

Pixie: I see you! You are right.... there! Do you want to swap some white ones for purple/blue ones? I would love some white ones, pink ones too for that matter! Those would all look so cute together! It's funny when they are done blooming the petals collapse like an exploded balloon, too. I will be collecting more seeds after these are all done. They really did well growing and dividing. Pretty sturdy little youngsters to handle that drought we had. The bloomed one is over 3 feet tall.

Melanie, are you going to save seeds from yours?

Fishymamas: I will be doing a raised bed in the fall sometime this year (I hope). The raised beds are a good idea for all of us infirm folks. I never thought of putting one on a platform that high though. Can you post a pic? As for adoption, that would be a very nice thing to do. I speak from personal experience as both my brother and I are adopted. We were very fortunate to be brought into a family of 2 loving parents that wanted us so much. We always knew we were adopted so there was never any awkward surprise about that. We are lucky and both know it.

o
Smile!!!!

o
White Balloon Floers

Tracy, I would love to trade white for purple/blues. I had never seen any before and they were a "free" gift for buying so many plants from a nursery. Like you daid they are very easy to divide and mine are blooming right now. So I can wait for seed or send plants. They tolerated all the rain we had here also, so they are very sturdy plants.

o

Melanie, the disc problem is terrible. I had the cortizone shots in my tailbone last year. I want to throw up remembering.

o
white balloons

Pixie: Awesome! Email me and we will hammer out the details!

As for canning fruits and vegies, I have never done this. I did however buy a TON of apricots, strawberries, and blackberries one year and made JAMS! Oh my gosh, I had toast every day! Apricot jam is my favorite.

Melanie, my favorite pie is peach. yum yum yum! I may need to hit the market this weekend and pick up some fruit.

Tomorrow is hubby's b-day! I will be making crab legs and sweet cinnamon biscuits with cinnamon honey butter. Corn on the cob and coleslaw. All of his favorites. He won't let me buy him presents so I make his favorite foods instead. He used to hate his birthdays! Now, since we've been married 10 years he is telling me he is coming home from work early to celebrate it! Yay! I rubbed off on him. His family never celebrated birthdays! Weirdos. I think everyone of us deserves to celebrate their existance at least one day out of the year! Ordered his favorite dessert too. Dairy Queen Blizzard Cake from Reese's Peanut Butter Cups! Hee hee! So excited! I love birthdays! Surprise, I got him a present anyway! His very own set of seafood Crackers, forks and butter cups! He's gonna be mad! Hahahaha!

o

pixie - no, I've never made apple butter - maybe I'll try that next year, if we have a better crop! There are SO MANY recipes I want to try canning!

Tracy - I want to make jam one of these days too! I keep telling my hubby I want to raise strawberries, just for that. He told me, next year... Have fun on your hubby's birthday! Mine doesn't like me to get presents for him either, he just likes the one present I GIVE him. Just think of a tootsie pop - only, instead of 3 (I think that's what it was) well, 52 this year ;) My daughter is watching, so I'd better be careful! She thinks I'm getting 52 tootsie pops!! :0

o
WHOOOHOOO Happy Birthday

Thats great Tracy, you will have to sing happy birthday from us. MMM MMM MMM Red Plum Jam is my fav midnight snack, its my sweet tooth quencher, peanut butter and red plum jam sanny and milk!!! (specially when I wake up at 4 am).
HMMM now I am going to have to go to the market tomorrow evening! I love to make jams also, and Sand Plums are ripening in Okla so gonna have to make another trip there to pick some! I make cinnamon honey butter for Christmas gifts so I know thats YUMMY. Fox says birthdays are "just another day" (not the way I was raised) so I make sure to make a big deal outta all of our birthdays! lol even mine!
Let me know if you don't get my email Tracy. I am really paranoid about the entire email thing anymore.

Pixie

o

Oooohhhhh.....I wanna come to the Birthday party, Tracy!! Yummy!! All that food sounds so gooooood!
My family was never one to celebrate birthdays either, so I make sure that all my kids get to choose what they want to do for theirs. We usually end up having a few friends over and lots of cake....When my oldest turned 9, we had a "9" party. Nine kinds of cake, 9 kinds of ice cream, 9 kinds of snacks.....For the adults, we had 9 kinds of antacids. :O)
I go over board, usually, for my kids. I can honestly only remember ever getting a cake or anything for my birthday ONCE, and that was because I begged. And that was 2 years ago. LOL

o
*blush*

TOOTSIE POPS???????!!! Becki....! Shame on you!!! :O)
Wait...I missed something, didn't I?....

o

Why don't ya all quit bein' so shy!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dang...I think I checked in yesterday....what are you all drinkin' that's got ya so chatty? LOL!! (can I have some?)

I didn't read all of it...stopped reading after the first hour...LOL

Welcome Pixie!! I'm sorry for the loss of your son, but glad you have found life again! I love the idea of your memorial garden for him.

Tracy, those plants look GREAT! That balloon flower is neat, I've never seen one before.

o
Birthdays

<<~~ kinda scared to ask on that one Melissa, I am sitting here thinking of 52 tootsie pops on a cake. The vision of the owl asking how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop kinda seems a tad risque now. Hmmm.

o
Toots.

Ooohhhh....yeah.....that was my thinking. But then...I kinda sorta was thinking that maybe tootsiepop was a replacement for another kind of lollipop..ya know, the kind with gum inside....
But. Hmmm.....
Naughty ol' Becki, anyhow!!! :O) :O)
I'll just call ya Toots from now on.

o
Smiles

Thank you Vela. LOL we did do some talking last night eh? I may be a tad naive on the tootsie roll thing, I pretty much know what the gift is but where does tootsie rolls come into that??? LOL and sheesh I really thought I had heard it all lol. I may have to get some tootsie rolls for fox's b-day, its coming up in sept.

ohhh btw, Melissa did you get the emails with the pictures I sent???

Pixie

o
YEP! Got'Em!

I got 'em, Trina! Just had to rush off to work right after I opened them, so I didn't have a chance to reply.
Cute doggies, though!!!! :O)

o
Pictures

WHOOOHOOO good deal Melissa!!! So this earthlink email works GREAT!!!! I am soooo glad! Been a long day trying to figure this silly computer out!

o

Dang ya'll!!! Didn't this thread just start last night? Wow! I am going to have to read these on my lunch tomorrow.

Fishymamas...I have your box done. It is all packed and going to the mailbox tomorrow morning. Sorry it took so long. It's been a crazy week already. I will tell ya'll about it tomorrow. I am tired tonight.

HNB...I sent you an e-mail. I lost fishymamas address. Can you resend it to me? lauriegarris@yahoo.com

Thanks!
Laurie

o

Laurie-
I'm sending you an email - let me know if you don't get it, since I'm sending it from work, and it's pretty unpredictable. :O)

o

HNB---And you thought we were bad talking about naked ladies?????Shame on all of you..LOL

I am going to try to gather the seeds from them if they bloom this year (pink balloon) im not sure, if they will have enough time to bloom they are still pretty small.

I make apple butter, almost as easy as making applesauce.

Pixie-I love honey Butter. I have that every time I go home to Missouri. which is not too often. No one eat's it in NJ. I have never tried to make my own.

Later

o

geesh!!! girls! gone for a little while LOL and your all the way up to 100 already i'm sure, ok, some news tracey, put some onions in between your blackberries thats what the one guuy did who gave me all the raspberries, and he's never had a problem with any bugs at all getting to any of his berries or any other foods he's planted, i forgot about that. i need to do that!! LOL and pixi i just love you!! you are so funny!!

now here's all them picture's i've been telling you about, but he got me a differnt phone, so now i can send all my pics to the photobucket. yay!!! LOL
dang, i was gonna tell... oh ya melissa, i know that one too, i do the guy's hair, mom pay's for talla's hair to get done and mine, gee i wonder why?? LOL and i make her clothes sometimes, i'm learning to can, next year, my garden will grow!! i have faith!! strong faith!! :')) now as hubby say's i love everybody, but i have met like 3 people i don't like. and i just got a new friend to join, she's crazyfarmin i think so if anyone feels like being all nice please help her!! :')) tabor wants to adopt her, he's so sweet!! i'm getting seeds for him. so i've been busy. i tried getting a pic of my one garden but the sun was in the way, anyway it was even more of a mess. and pixi, yep we call plants, them there things, ya know the pink ones with the blah blah.....
oh ya, tht reminds me, when you were talking about chiggers biting, bla bla bla bla, not hearing you!!!! LOL
:')) man misquitos' love me for some reason, but love talla even more! but they are the only things in this world that love my legs, but even i'm not that desperate!! LOL hey alana, what were the hb?? just curious, they did look edible. well after they were peeled. maybe i'm just hungry for melons! LOL they did deliver the shower! i'm so happy! which reminds me, i'm so sorry about your loss mama! i won't even say there's a reason for everything, cuz that wouldn't make the loss any lighter. but i just pray for easness on your heart! :'( and you gimpy girls! LOL but not, i hate the side effects of this med, the other one is my feet getting numb and all prickly feeling, LOL it can get demented at times. LOL :')) i totally know all about the hair thing becky! and depending on the conditioner i use too on how much hair falls out, but i'm a ponytail wearer too! LOL is there anyother way?? :'))
in the middle of the half circle i made, is the appleblossom daylily. i hope it really blooms!!

o
Fishymamas

HNB...I got the address. Thank you.

I hope your box makes you smile fishymamas....and the postman better not do the "boogie" on it. *singing* *Cuz we're gonna boogie oogie oogie till you just can't boogie no more* laalaala

o

Becki: Dirty Girl! We have a similar tradition to your tootsies! Only we call it birthday spanks! LOL! He started it on my 19th birthday! LOL! I'm 35 and going strong! Grin! I'm not into that whole center of the tootsie pop thing though! Blech! LOL!

Pixie: Got your email and shot one back at ya! Mmmmm, plum jam, I have Never had that! Sounds Delicious. Peanut butter and apricot is my favorite snack sandwich! Yum! I will have to sing the Marilyn Monroe version of Happy Birthday for him from all of you! I bet you'd all like that!!!!! LOL!

HNB: You can come over any time for food at my house! I would cook up a storm! We can take turns holding ice packs on each other's hips! LOL!

Melanie: My youngster balloons were sprouting in early June and just flowered now so you may get some blooms by early september??? Maybe. If it does flower I would love some seeds from it!

Cinnamon Honey Butter: 1/2 cup softened butter, 2 tsp honey, 1/4 tsp cinnamon (start with less and add to taste) Stick your electric mixer in and let her rip! Taste it and see if it is sweet enough and add more stuff until it is how you like it! Slather on your favorite bread. It is really awesome on warm french bread!!!!!

o
Vela!!!

VELA: How are you??? Yes your plants are definitely doing great! They miss you! Asked me to say hello for them! he he! Send me your addy and I will ship off some seeds to you when the balloons are done! They are cute!

o

Good Morning All;
Well, I lied to Mariann about sending her box, I did do all the digging Tuesday night but could not find a box yesterday and life interferred. I plan on going to the PO this morning to send it.
You people have been really chatty, it is great to see. Welcome to all the new people, I have been doing this for a while so I lack a bit of your enthusiasm. I am also a little older than the group but I love hanging out with young folks!!
The balloon flowers (Platycodon) are usually perennials. I just realized I had planted some this year from my local discount store. I also remembered that they take a few years to really get good looking. They come in white, pink and purple usually. If you do a search on the hortiplex, you can get more info on them. I do not remember what the seeds look like and of course, I am not good at starting anything from seed.
Well, I need to get to work, so I will say, have a great day to all. I will post the DC later. diene

o

Just popped in to say hello. I thought I was seeing things when I saw the number of posts to this thread.

My daughter has hypothyroidism and degenerative bone disease in her knees. She needs to have a double knee replacement but has no health insurance.

fishy my heart goes out to you.

We hope to be canning tomatoes this year. My DH loves pickled green tomatoes. The garden is to small to grow large quantities of anything. I don't have enough sun on my property to have a bigger garden.

pixie welcome to this group.

diene I'll be on the look out for your box.

Have a great day everyone.
Mariann

o

Wow one thread a day....I copied the recipe for the honey butter.I am gonna try it.

I will save you seeds from the pink one also.

Medon't where ya been?? Good to see ya.

Galium--Glad you popped in for a quick hello.

o

Okay....HONEY. That is one of the few foods I really DON'T like. And that's putting it lightly. :O) Just the smell makes me gag uncontrollably. My kids and hubby just LOVE the stuff, though, so I have to buy it by the gallon. We have a farm about a mile from us that raises bees, so we get it fresh.
Hubby's thing he likes to do (he thinks it's hilarious) He will eat a big tablespoon of honey, without telling me, and then will come up and kiss me.
BLECH!
That's all it takes, then I'm in the bathroom paying tribute to mr potty.

The only thing I can figure, is that my mom, at some point when I was little, must have given me Syrup of Ipecac....that stuff smells just like honey. I had to use it on my son once. *shudder*

o

Hi Diene, Thank you for helping out with the name on the balloon flower. That was the next step I was going to take in labeling!

Mornin' Mariann! My MIL had her knee replaced two years ago. It was a tough recovery with months of physical therapy. She is supposed to have the 2nd knee done but will probably forego it. She is 73 and not up for another long recovery. Where did you get that cute sign? I would love to make one of those for my ebay store!

I can't stand that so many Americans do not have health insurance. Medical expenses have skyrocketed! It drives me crazy that even when we do have insurance, we still struggle to meet premiums and then our co-insurances, deductibles, and co-pays. I would like all of us to call our various health and human services to each of our states and request information on State Funded Health Insurance. Most States offer some kind of discounted Medical Insurance to residents and FREE Medical Insurance for Children. Please check it out!!!!

Good Morning Melanie! How are you after your visit to the dentist yesterday? I hope you had a good check up! I am excited about all of the balloon flowers. Until recently I did not know that there were so many different colors of them. That was going to be next on my to do list was check out where to find them! I think if we mushed all of our gardens together we might just have some of everything. I really do enjoy this group. I have learned so much about plants and bugs and gardening. How great is that?

o
honey

Melissa- Your hubby is a bad bad bad man, that is so mean. He needs a good SMACK! Not the smoochie kind!

Well, hubby's b-day is off to a good start! When the kids got up this morning they all wished him a Happy Birthday all by themselves! They were so excited for him! He was pretty tickled that they remembered on their own. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o
Becki AKA Toots

Becki, I got you a present...

o
Reminder!

Just another reminder for EVERYONE to mail their boxes this week,(next Tuesday at the latest) post when you do, and also PLEASE POST WHEN YOU RECEIVE YOUR BOX so that I can update my list.
Pretty Please.
Laurie has some great ideas for her swap!
Thanks!!

Oh, and this excludes Tracy & dirt, who are swapping next week when dirt gets back from vacation.

And has anyone heard from Debbya? She hasn't been around lately.

o
All Call For DebbyA

I saw that Debbya just started a new "For the Birds" August roundrobin swap earlier this week.

o
Tootsie

Tracy.....That's horrible. Teasing poor Toots about her lollipop obsession.....

o
Lollipop Lollipop oh lolli lolli lolli lolli POP!

Can't help it, melissa, I am evil to the core. You are every bit as bad. Grin

I kept singing that lolli pop song last night. Has new meaning to me now. I can't seem to get it out of my head. Now I have emma singing it too!

o

No, I have not heard from debbya, and she is my swap partner..WHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Yes check-up went well. Everything is a go for awhile again. Hehehe

Have a great day everyone, I am off to clean and then to can my peaches..

o
Singing

*****Millions of peaches, peaches for me....Millions of peaches, peaches for free.....*****

Anyone else have that song run through their head when Melanie mentioned peaches?? :O)

o
Coloring kittys

I just thought this was funny, and wanted to share. Maybe it'll put a smile on everyone's face this morning! :O)

This is what the baby was up to this morning. She's head to toe blue, now.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

No, still stuck on lolli pop, lolli pop oh lolli lolli lolli lolli POP! Ba doom doom doom!

o
pretty blue baby

LOL! Melissa! She is just like emma! She gets the markers and colors the paper until I turn my back and as soon as I am not looking she colors her lips! Then arms, then belly! Ergh! LOL!

Now she discovered where I hide the lipstick and has gone through my favorite color that is no longer made!!!

Adora is so cute! Love that big smile!

o

Okay, I am back on track, galium your box is on it's way. DC is 03062400000220791598, not that it means anything. I even went to a "real Post Office" but that does not mean anything either. Hope you enjoy what I sent. Have a great week, everyone. diene

o
Lollypop

Oh, no...THANKS Tracy. I hadn't even thought of that song....now it's stuck in my head. My kids have never heard that song...they think I've made it up.
I'm gonna go google and see if I can find it.....

o

OMG! You girls are too much! Thanks for the gift, Tracy! I was just trying to come up with a way to tell you all about the gift my hubby REALLY looks forward too, without being too grafic! :) He had a big family, but they did celebrate birthdays. Except for his 14th - everyone forgot about it. No party, and not so much as a "happy birthday" from anyone. So sad. He is still upset about that.

Melissa - that is just too cute!! My Lily did that for the longest time - pens, markers, anything she could draw on herself with. Now, I think she does pretty good, but every onece in a while, we still find drawings on her legs and tummy!

o
The Lyrics!

Melissa and Becki: Here you go! Now I know what is going to be stuck in Becki's head on her nest hubby's b-day! LOL!

Artist: Chordettes
Song: Lollipop

Lollipop lollipop
Oh lolli lolli lolli
Lollipop lollipop.....

Call my baby lollipop
Tell you why
His kiss is sweeter than an apple pie
And when he does his shaky rockin' dance
Man, I haven't got a chance

I call him
Lollipop lollipop
Oh lolli lolli lolli
Lollipop lollipop.....

Sweeter than candy on a stick
Huckleberry, chimry or lime
If you had a choice
He'd be your pick
But lollipop is mine

Lollipop lollipop
Oh lolli lolli lolli
Lollipop lollipop.....

Crazy way he thrills me
Tell you why
Just like a lightning from the sky
He loves to kiss me till I can't see straight
GEE, MY LOLLIPOP IS GREAT

I call him
Lollipop lollipop
Oh lolli lolli lolli
Lollipop lollipop...

My hubby is from a big family too. Regular forgetting of the birthdays with each of the kids without even an acknowledgement. Too sad. His sister still complains about it when we get together for the kids birthdays. Then they all try to compensate by giving my kids WAY too many presents! Ugh!

o

Wow!!!! Youseeee Guyeees!! Turn my back for one day and poof.....you're almost through another whole thread. SHEEEZEEE!!!!!

I'll have to go back and do some serious reading this time.

Well, On to the good stuff. Drum roll pleeze.........

I' V E . . . G O T . . . N A K E D . . . L A D I E S ! ! ! ! !

Medontdo's box came this morning and she very generously sent me a Naked Lady.....Now I've got to find something to plant around it.........hummmmm let's see.........what was that stuff you guys said would be good.........something fuzzy?..........oh no.....bushy...that was it....bushy. LOL

I also got:

Shining Pink Cana lily

Hosta Undulata Albo 'Margarita'

Unknown daylily

unknown Iris

and 15-20 little bulbs....purple, early spring bloomers? Maybe crocus?

I love everything Medon't.....Thank you soooo much!

Roxanne

o

Rox! You are hillarious! Nice er, um, Box! Great job medont! Happy planting!

o

Vela-If you don't get you box today let me know please. This will be the 4th day, I figure it should have been there yesterday. Will have the Post Office try to find it, am getting worried. If it doesn't get there today the flowers will be mush.

o

Great box, Rox! Have fun with that NAKED LADY! :O) Keep the bushy stuff to a minimum, though...you want to be able to see your lady when she blooms. :O) :O) :O)

o

Hmmmm..
"lollipops"... it that like a "big stick" popsickle thing? (if you haven't been to the icecream man in a few years, it's a 8 inch long 1.5 inches across cherry and pineapple popsickle, that's eaten by... eh, if you can't figure out where this is going, you're not old enough to be on this thread.)
Tracy my digi camera just gave up last week (the day I tried to take pics of my terra cotta baby daylilly to share (;.;) but my scanner still works, so I can draw it out for you (gotta love graph paper), scan and upload. if you wanna make it deeper than 6/8 inches, you're gonna need some center supports, for that a few cinderblocks as a "pillar" work. I'll draw that out too. Hubby's finishing up his degree in drafting and I know he made plans somewhere...
I don't think I'll have anything ready for aug's swap, but I'll def visit and when it cools in sept/oct I should have more ready to go (for my mom's 50th, I'm taking out all of her over crowded stellas and replacing with some purples and reds, when she bought her house 8 years ago the devs shoved in big patches of stella, and now she thinks she doesn't like daylillies. So by all means if anyone loves stella, I'll have gobs of it by mid-Sept (I can't bring myself to toss it out, even if it is overused out here).

o

I give up! There is no way I can keep up with all that has gone before. I scanned the posts and saw such a range of topics that I could not assimilate it all. I noticed that there was a lot of nakedness, as usual, so I guess I am still with the same general group.
Looking forward to the next swap.
Alana

o

Ok peaches are done and in the freezer, also popped a peach cobbler in the oven, man its smelling so good.

Rocky--It was the hairy ball tree....lol

o

Ok did up the drawing, I'll link to it in an hr or so.

o

Melanie - good for you! I need to can some green beans yet, but I'm running out of time, so probably not until after farmer's marked tonight! Have 13 dozen eggs, I guess, so it's looking better! About 40 cucumbers and a few summer squash - might make a little bit of money. It's always good when I can bring home money! Makes me feel like I am contributing somewhat! :)

Fishy - the "big stick" sounds yummy! ;) I talked to my sister this morning. She said if you wanted to do international adoption, you might have some problems, as some countries are pretty picky. But... if you wanted to do domestic, and that was your only concern, that absolutely would not be a problem! If you want to talk some more about it, when you are ready, she said to give you her number, as she would gladly walk you through how it typically goes. So, if you get to that point, and want to explore it, let me know.

Okay, maybe I do have enough time to throw some beans in the canner. See ya'll tonight, I hope! As long as my hubby doesn't notice that is! Last night he asked what I was doing, and I said "chatting with some girlfriends", and he's like, you better not be chatting when my dining room looks like that! Oops! :) So, if he's showering or something, I'll sneak in! Have a good afternoon, girls!

o
Say What?

WHAT??? Becki, he did not say that to you, DID HE?? Oh man, I'd crack him one! Men! You would think they could get off their fat butts to clean up if they have time to make comments like that!!!

Sneak in to visit with us????

No way. You go tell him "hey, sweetie, I'm gonna go chat on the 'puter. Can you clean up the dirty socks you left in the living room and bag the newspapers and take out the garbage and clean the cat's box and kiss my a--?"

No more mrs. nice gal for him Becki! Go straight to the center of the tootsie pop! CRUNCH!

o

Oh, you bad girl! I had to check in here one more time. Didn't get the beans done - that will have to be tonight. Umm... no, he's right. Sometimes I need to get off my fat butt and do things! Trust me, he works his a** off, and I'm sitting here on the computer. He goes to work at about 6:30 in the morning, and often doesn't get home until 8:30 at night. Plus, he works Saturdays and sometimes Sundays. Plus he helps as much as he can in the garden and with the animals. I don't expect him to understand me sitting at the computer chatting with friends. Now, if he was a lazy bum and didn't do anything at all, then I would certainly have some words for him, but he was definitely right last night, sadly! :) But, no, I won't sneak - if I want to chat, I will chat. I've done enough sneaking in my life!

o

Ooooohhhhhh......Harsh, Tracy!!!! :O) lol

I was thinking the same thing...just in nicer terms. :O) The few times my hubby has said something like that to me, I've thrown something at him...and THEN told him if he didn't help out and let me have some free time, CHER would be a virgin again before I'd do ANYTHING with the tootsie pop.

Needless to say.....he now does laundry. :O) I haven't had to do more than 1 load a week for the year or so!! He can't stand it to get backed up, so he does at least 2 loads a day.
Oh, and last night....he CLEANED our BEDROOM!!!! *GASP* He has never NEVER done that in the entire 13 years!!!

Ya could've pushed me over with a feather last night when I came home from work and saw that...... lol

o
Fishymamas

Fishymamas-

Your package is on the way. DC# 0103 8555 7491 3199 2219
I hope it arrives safely!

Laurie

o

:) You girls are just so bad!! I don't expect Dave to do much in the house, as he is hardly here anyway. He definetly isn't one of those guys that leaves his dirty socks lying around, or anything like that. And he totally understands toys lying around, and the messy house. But when there is a layer of dust on everything, and a cluttered mess everywhere, I totally understand why he would get upset to see me on the computer. But when he is being unreasonable, believe me... he hears it!

Well, I sold out of eggs, as I expected, but no one even asked about the cucumbers, so I just left when I ran out of eggs. I brought all those cucumbers home, and am going to try my hand at making sweet relish tomorrow. I've never made that before. I called home and asked Dylan, my 14 year old, to read the recipe to me. He told me I needed celery seed and mustard seed, and I wrote it down. But then I lost my paper when I was in the store, and accidentally bought dill seed instead of celery seed. Do you think that will be okay? Or should I go and get some celery seed as well? I have no idea what the difference in the flavor would be... Any thoughts??

o

Now I got to search back through the posts and see what all this 'popsicle' and 'tootsie pop' stuff is referring to.

I just know I missed something R E A L L Y good.

o

tracyvine-is this what you're looking for?????

You need tubes (pictures without a background); a program to work with photo's (Photo Shop-I have an old program it's called Painter Classic-so you can write on the photos); then upload to Photobucket or some other photo hosting site. Actually poison helped me originally the rest I just figured out myself.
Good luck,
Mariann

o

OHHHHHH NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got my super duper most awesomest box from nuthatch today, came inside and posted as I was opening the box...I listed everything I got with lots of ooooo's and ahhhhh's and Yipppeees! I then took everything outside, came back in to relax and got on the computer...my post isn't here!!! ARGHHHH!!!!! It's raining out now, so I can't really go out and look at everything again...please help me out here if I forget something nuthatch.

I still have the seeds inside....they are
Lion's Tail
Salvia Subrotunda
Salvia Coccinea - Big Texas Sage
Stella D'Oro Daylily

I also got the greatest minty smelling soap

Funny item - A magnet with a bag lady looking woman on it holding a wand. It says "Miracle Worker (Abra-friggin-cadabra!) LOL!!!

I got the cutes little butterfly windchime with a garden hook to hang him on!! He's sooooo cute!!!

A big bagful of Red Oriental Lilies!!! WOOHOOOO!!! (Does anyone know if I can let these dry out and plant them next spring???)

Ok....I might need help remembering the plants....there were 12 (yes 12) in all!!!

3 bunches of Lily of the Valley (white)
Variegated Mint (smells sooooo good)
2 bunches of Coneflower
Rose of Sharon Mauve with a dark eye
2 bunches of Hens and Chicks
There were some different Salvia's (I don't own any and they look GORGEOUS (I looked them up)!!!

Oh, I'm sorry, I just can't seem to remember if there were any more but that doesn't mean I didn't like them...I was soooo excited about EVERYTHING I pulled out of the box!! (were there three salvias or am I forgetting something?),

Thank you thank you thank you nuthatch!!!

And Thank you thank you thank you Diene, for acting as me and taking on my responsibility of the swap. You are truly an awesome gal!!!

o
Hello Good Evening

Hi wild ladies,

I got your email Medont and of course you will get some. Tracy I got yours too. Sad thing is I don't remember answering them this morning before work so I will have to check! Sheesh, getting used to not being so lazy is gonna take some time for me lol. I got home and there were TWO boxes of plants on my porch (I even worked late today, but got off early yesterday0. One was some Daylily's that I had ordered, I hope they are easy growing and I don't kill them. The other box was from Debbya, she and I did a trade and OMGOODNESS she sent me some beautiful roses and some ground cover. I LOVE THEM!!!! Its been raining here all day today but I think I am going to get out there and plant all these.
Fox was already at home when I got home and had the kitchen cleaned and had one load of laundry done! (Should've started back to work long ago!!!) He just laughed and shook his head when he saw the plants in the sink ready to be planted, asked when I needed him to dig some holes for me! HAHA gonna surprise him and show him I CAN dig a hole for the plants!
Ananda, I am sooo sorry that your nephew is having to go through all of that. My prayers to your family and nephew and the g/fs family too.
Such a cute pic Melissa, Blue is the in color I hear!! ;)
I am going to have to stop the icecream man now just to see one of these popsicles, will have a totally different outlook next time I eat one of the Bombs in my freezer now, hmmmm hahaha
Smiles,
Pixie

o

It stopped raining, and I ran outside real quick....I forgot the Copper Iris!!! How in the world did I forget that? I was sooo excited about it!! LOL! Thanks again nuthatch!!!

o

Vela-I am so glad that it got there and everything was OK, was starting to get worried that the Post Office had lost the box. This was my first multi-plant box and I was afraid I had not packed it well enough. What a relief. I think there was only 2 Salvia's a Black & Blue and S.greggii Furman's Red, they are both good hummingbird plants, as are the Big Texas Sage and S. subrotunda. The subrotunda is an experimental Salvia and is not available for sale anywhere, I grew it as part of a trial for the first time last year. Salvia needs light to germinate so when you sow them just put them on top of the soil and keep moist.

o

Great box, Vela!! See, aren't ya glad we didn't listen to you??? :O)

Okay..wanted to let everyone know that I will not have internet at home anymore, so the only time I can get online will be when I'm at work. Sunday-Thursday, nights. So...while it may seem like I"m ignoring ya'll....I"m really not. Honestly. :O)

o

Oh, Melissa - I'm sorry to hear that! But - trust me girl, I understand! I'll miss having you here a lot though! What is it you do at that radio station anyway? Are you a DJ??? You seem like you could be! :)

Tracy - I wanted to comment on your insurance thing this morning. I so totally agree with you!! Dave and I went for a LONG time without insurance. The kids fortunately have been covered most of the time, as Iowa is one of those states that has a great program for uninsured kids. HAWK-I is a wonderful program that provides insurance for kids for only $10/month, with a $20/month max per family. And that is only if your income is above a certain level. Under that level, and it doesn't cost anything. Then, if it is below an even lower level, you get put on Medicaid. Dave is self-employed, and our income is very low. For a while, when there was very little work, he worked for someone else. The insurance there cost him as an employee like $300/month. To add me on would have cost an additional $600/month. To add the kids would have been absolutely horrible. So, as he has some medical problems, we paid for his insurance, and that was it. Then when he quit working there, we paid COBRA for a while, and the cost for his insurance was $686/month - JUST FOR HIM!! It was horrible! But, as his health care costs were high, we had to keep it up. With HAWK-I, you have reapply each year, and when we went to reapply last year, the kids were denied for HAWK-I, and our application was sent to human services for Medicaid. Well, were we surprised when the worker called me and said that our whole family qulified for Medicaid. I thought she meant all the kids, but she made it clear to me that Dave and I would be covered as well. Had the woman been standing in front of me, I would have kissed her!! :) Finally, I had insurance (well, when I was pregnant, I had Medicaid too, but only for that period of time, and then no insurance again.) Although it is absolutely wonderful, there are drawbacks. For instance, around here, none of the dentists will take new patients that have Medicaid. None. So, Dave and I have to go about an hour away to a government funded dental office. The kids already had a dentist, from while they were on HAWK-I, so they still can go nearby. But, William, my 9 year old had to have kind of an emergency root canal last week, and as he is young, his dentist didn't want to do it - it was pretty complicated. He sent us to Des Moines to an endodontist. Silly me didn't think to ask if they took Medicaid, so we drove the hour there, went to check in, and were told they didn't take our insurance. I told them he really needed it done, and they said, well, you can pay for it out of pocket, we'd need $200 today. There was no way I could do that, especially knowing the $200 wouldn't even come close to covering it, so we had to leave. That was absolutely heartbreaking to me to have to walk back out of there with my son, whose tooth is hurting so bad that it makes him cry! (But, it was my fault for not thinking to ask.) So, I called his dentist, and said the endodontist said we should try Iowa City (there is a low-income program there for most anything). William's dentist's office said we could do that, but we would probably have to wait a month or more. They called a few minutes later and said his dentist would do it, but was apprehensive. Okay, so I'll take an apprehensive dentist over a month with my son in pain!! Anyday! So, long story short, it was taken care of, but not without a lot of hassle! Wow - I think I just wrote a book! Sorry everyone!!

Anyway, I guess the point of my whole long winded story is - it never hurts to check with the human services department in your county to see if you qualify for any programs! Just like Tracy said! :)

o

Actually, it's a TV station. I work in the control room. I"m responsible (don't laugh at that!) :O) for keeping the station on the air, managing the playlist, editing a few shows and setting up satellites. UGH...alot of computer work. I HATE computers. :O) But I like that I'm on my own schedule, for the most part. It's a really laid back job. (obviously...since I'm ONLINE most of the night. LOL) Doesn't pay well at all, though. :O)

My kids are actually on ArKids 1st, a goverment insurance here in Arkansas. We qualify for the "B" program, which just means that at every Dr or Dentist appt, we never pay more than a $10 co-pay. Even at the ER, nothing more than the $10. So that's nice....but it's a PITA to get them in to see a DR. Northwest Arkansas is so overcrowded, and the dr's that take medicaid are so limited, that they have certain #'s of patients they are allowed by law to see, so if you don't have an assigned DR, you are SOL. Nobody will see you. At all. So only 3 of my 5 kids have DR's. You have to call a special #, and then you have to tell them what dr you'd like to be assigned, adn they tell you yes or no. If it's no, you have 2 more choices. You are only allowed to try 3 times during any 24 hr period. And they WILL NOT TELL YOU what Dr's have openings. You have to GUESS.
SEE WHAT I MEAN BY P.I.T.A.???????????????????????????????????????????????

I am so frustrated...my 8 year old son was sick for 2 YEARS before we could get him in to a DR, and he's been seeing specialists since then. He has Lupus & a strep infection that is drug resistant, he'll never be rid of it. Just gotta keep it under control. He contracted strep when he was 2, and it just took over. Partly b'c of the Lupus, I"m sure....ANYWAY.

I could go on and on about how I have a love/hate relationship with the whole medicaid thing...but I won't. (you're welcome) :O)

o
Becki

You know what's funny? I ALMOST took a job at a Radio station a few months ago, as a DJ! The night time host was leaving, and I know him, he is a guest on one of the live shows we do here at the station, so I was gonna take his job....but I didn't ....because I thought I COULDn't talk enough!!!!
Can ya believe that???

o

It makes me so angry to hear the stories about insurance and doctors. I come from a different time and I think it is awful that in the US, the richest country in the world, we cannot offer medical care to our children. I am speechless which is going some for me.
I have no children but I think they are our most precious commodity. Do not let your children go without!! The only good thing the US did is eliminate debtor's prison. You can pay a Doctor as little as $ 1.00 a week if that is all you can afford and there is nothing they can do to you. Do not let your pride hurt your children! I know that is easy to say, but in the grand scheme of things, what is more important?
Sorry, it scares me to think this is happening and it does not touch my life. I do not know what I can do to help but if you need some advice on a specific issue, e-mail me directly. No promises. diene

o
Mad bunny.

It IS very difficult to believe that we can't get decent health care in this country. My husband and I aren't covered by insurance, we simply cannot afford it. We make less than $40K a year, (that's before taxes) and if we got insurance through his company....Well, it would reduce our income to 1/3 of that. It 's awful.
My husband had a very difficult time signing the kids up for ArKids, It was the whole "I'm supposed to provide for my family, I'm less of a man if I can't" thing. Which is the same reason he doesn't want me working.
But I went behind his back both times, and it took over a year to get all the paper work done and DHS to FINALLY approve my kids. Now, it's been for the last 2 years trying to get a DR for them......Ggggrrrrrrrrr.

But I count my blessings, at least they have coverage now, and if there's an emergency, I can at least get them into an ER.
It's just one of those things, as a parent, you feel so helpless about. And really ticked off...I mean, just what in the &#$*&#! do we pay taxes for, anyway?!

Ok. Bunny's off her soap box now.
Sorry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here