Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbya_gw

NEW: Summer Garden Swap Box

Debra Andruska
17 years ago

I'm a little board, LOL... And just had the urge to host a Summer Garden Swap Box! Your box can contain ANYTHING that pertains to gardening! That's such a wide range of things- plants, cuttings, seeds, bulbs, supplies (both for the garden and indoors/outdoors), garden themed notepads, small garden statues, birdhouse items, handmade items (garden themed or related)! You got the picture, LOL!

Post here to join, I'll pair you up with a swap partner and give you a little time to prepare a neat box. It would be easier if you post a 'want' list. Who knows...your Pal might have exactly what your looking for! Send your box by priority/delivery confirmation. Just so no boxes 'disappear in postal land' and you have proof you sent your end of the trade.

Ok? Let's start! You have from now until July 15th to sign up.

Your boxes should be mailed out by July 30th. Don't forget, post here to let us know what you received in the box!

Comments (116)

• rosebud_2050
    17 years ago

Erica,I am so glad you like the salvias.I planted the black and blue this spring and WOW!it has just been beautiful.It gets pretty tall for me (4-5 ft)so I under planted with yellow maxima coneflower.the red salvia is a hummingbird magnet.I hope you enjoy both as much as I have.*hint they start from cuttings easily.I just put a cutting in moist soil and place in a shady area.in just a couple of weeks they will be rooted...have a happy birthday!
    Shirley

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I love Salvia's too! I have 2 established plants that I purchased a few months ago from a local nursery. I saved the tags with the names in my computer desk somewhere. One is blue, one purple. The butterflies seem to love them. Thanks~ Shirley for letting us know that they root from cuttings easily. What roots for me really easily is a potato vine! I have 'blackie' and can snip a piece and place it anywhere!

Erica,
    Hope you have a Happy Birthday!

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Diene, just a short message to let you know I got the box yesterday and everything looks excellent. You had packed it wet and that must have helped because the plants look super.
    I'm off to church now but wanted to let you know. BB

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Ok, here's what was in my goodie box. A nice bright welcome flag that seems perfect for here at my new house. It has hearts and sunflowers and a bluebird. Very cheery.
    A pink, sweet pea scented candle, smells mmmm good.
    Hand lotion and face cream. always useful after being outside in the garden.
    For the garden there are daylilies, I've been wanting kwanzo and have several places to put them so I'm dividing up the clump. The other two I'll put into the daylily garden labled as Deine #1 and #2 until I see what they look like, Then I'll decide where to put them.
    A piece of suculent, Maybe Autumn Joy??? It has a dark stem so maybe that is what it is. I'll know soon as it has buds now.
    There is a bag of lily bulblets and three packs of seeds. I'm going to try to get the lambs ear going now and save the others for spring. This package will be bringing me smiles for a long time.
    Thanks again and thanks for the good packing. That is one of the best features of the flat rate priority boxes. You can send a bit of extra moisture without paying a fortune on postage. The PO is sometimes a mess but they do have good stuff too.

• diene
    17 years ago

Hello All;
    Thought I would check back in and let you know that things are fine. The boat is out of the water now and we are looking for someone to give us an estimate on the cost of the repairs. The insurance company seems to think it is salvageable. Time will tell. So far no one even wants to look at it. Do not feel too bad for me, it could have happened while we were in the Atlantic and you may never have heard from me again. So, it is just a boat and no one was hurt.
    I am thrilled that Beth received her package and the plants are still viable. Enjoy!!
    The weather here is beautiful. diene

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Diene, thanks for sending the pictures of the daylilies. They are very pretty and perfect for my purple white yellow color plan.
    Hope the boat repairs go along OK. That is a standard summer thing on KOdiak too. Keeping track of whose boats are running and who is broke down. The guys try to help each other out and either get things fixed or at least be sure the other guy gets invited to go out fishing with someone. It's a nice place.
    Your weather sounds so good.... if i didn't need to go to work tomorrow night I might head up towards Maine.
    Debbiedo7, we are still having 100+ temps here. I'm going to send you a box with NO PLANTS and a rain check for whenever the weather breaks. I have not forgotten you.

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's been soooo hot, the heat index was 110* yesterday, and today. A heat advisory has been in effect.
    How are your gardens? Flowerbeds? I've been watering constantly, and everything still dries out and looks wilted! I can't wait for the heat to break- by the end of the week it should be in the upper 70's. Storms are finally coming on Thursday, we need the rain desperately.
    I'm tired of summer!

• diene
    17 years ago

Hello Deb;
    While I appreciate what you are saying as we are going to get high 90's today and humidity. That is why I live in Maine and presumably that is why you are in Illinois. My flowers are surviving as we have frequent violent rain storms with thunder and lightning when the weather is like this. I think that is because of the ocean and the salt water. Not sure why from a scientific standpoint but it happens. My tomatoes are also doing great, they are huge and just need to ripen which should start happening soon. Hope all is well with you. Thursday sounds great. Try and stay cool. diene

• scouttiegirl
    17 years ago

My package to Diene is going out today. Was going to send yesterday but with the heat over 100 degrees decided to hold off until today as there is a plant in there. I kept the plant potted for safer transit and watered it well.It can take some drought so should be good to go. When I get back from the PO will post the delv. Conf. ~Heather

• scouttiegirl
    17 years ago

Diene, your package conf# is:

1. Hope you enjoy everything! Happy Gardening~Heather
  • debbiedo7
    17 years ago

scouttiegirl your package went out in the mail yesterday, I'll post the confirmation code later ;o)
    Debbie

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm happy to see so many packages going out!
    Will check in later!

Deb

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

debbiedo, here's your conf#0306 0320 0000 6866 7322
    posted it in the wrong alse.
    BB

• debbiedo7
    17 years ago

Scouttiegirl,
    I was going to post your confirmation # but I'm not sure which is the correct 1 (I still have 2 receipts) lol
    anyway these are the 2 I have - my pc crashed so I don't have your last name.
    clark 03052710000152924786
    or cotto 03052710000152924809

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Our weather has finally cooled off... but only for a day. We did get a lot of rain too, so I'm happy that I didn't have to spend an hour watering everything. Tomorrow 90* again.. and the excessive heat is creeping back. I can't wait for fall. I love the colors, cooler temps, leaves on the ground, apple picking, plus Halloween!

Beth,
    I did get your email, and promise to get your plants (variegated jade) in the mail tomorrow (friday). I went shopping with my Mom today (to the mall) and we went to see "Lady in the Water."
    It was such a relaxing day! ;)

Please mail your boxes out ASAP! I don't want anyone in the swap to be disappointed!

Thanks,
    Deb

• diene
    17 years ago

Hello All;
    I received an amazing box today, so much stuff. First was a wonderful Heuchera, looks like coral belles. Then several packages of seeds, a frog garden decoration, metal plant markers, metal garden sign, metal vase. Then there are the absolutely beautiful address labels and hand towels. Thanks Heather, I love it all. diene

• debbiedo7
    17 years ago

Beth,
    I loved my box!! ha-ha I should be able to beat the heat with my Lemon iced tea & Lemonade. Let me dig in the box hmmmm well I got carmex chap stick SPF15, a magnet watermelon note pad, Pringle Chipotle Limon chips, pucker power Extra Sour Bubblegum, 4 green flower pots, Vanilla Melon body wash with/glove, a water spray fan w/batteries, and 2 of the most adorable copper planter hangers - a Butterfly & a Dragonfly they have colored beads in them. (I already have them hanging on 2 of my plants next to my desk)
    Well the rest of my summer I should be cool, soft and all puckered up. ha-ha
    This made my day even better, I finally have my pc back up & running after 2 1/2 weeks, hubby took me to dinner & I got a goody box.
    ;o)
    Debbie

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Debbie,
    Sounds like Beth sent you a really nice box!

Hopefully, the rest of the boxes will arrive by early next week!

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok, So far everyone received except- Zoegurl2001 (Summer). Snyboken is mailing it out ASAP. And I'm sure will post a delivery conf # when it goes out. Sharon (Snyboken) also said by email that Efrosty's package arrived. I'm sure that Sharon will post when She has a chance.
    I'm trying to go through the list to see exactly who didn't send and who didn't receive.

Candycow was to send to- Momsgarden
    Momsgarden was to send to- Candycow

Has either of you received a package, or sent one out? Please let me know.

And please let me know if I've forgotten anyone, or misread anything!

The swap's almost complete!

Deb

• scouttiegirl
    17 years ago

I received my box from Debbie(Debbiedo7). I got it on Thursday but have since been busy in the garden. What a wonderful box you sent Debbie. It came just in time and with the best stuff. I received garden tools,scissors,gloves,and metal tags which were much needed as my kids are always running off with my tools. I used them all day yesterday while planting out and getting things cleaned up and labeled. I almost feel like I am doing fall clean up it is such a mess here from all the wacky weather. I also received an amazing assortment of seeds lots of annuals which a really need(I have been concentrating on perennials) also some glad bulbs. A bird feeder and birdhouse that my daughter already snatched for her zoo garden, a spinner that my son snatched for his 5 senses garden,stationary, and the best scarecrow and hanger for fall. I love fall and that is one of my reasons for living in New York. You just can't beat the leaves changing. We decorate like crazy at that time. Finally Debbie made us the best bookmarks. What a great idea. I love them. They are also perfect as my daughter is at the age where she is getting really good at reading and actually enjoys it. No more turning the corner down on library books! Thank you again Debbie for such a thoughtful box. I really enjoyed everything.

Diene~I am glad you liked the box I sent. I know you have been going through a crazy week with the post office and boat,and wanted to send a nice box to cheer you up. The heuchera I sent is called "crimson Curls". I know you needed shade plants.

Happy Gardening everyone~Heather

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Heather,
    Wow, Debbie's package sounds neat! This swap is going really well! Thanks so much, Ladies for making this so easy!

I'm glad we have such a great group!

Deb

• debbiedo7
    17 years ago

Heather,
    I'm glad you enjoyed your box. I was a little worried about the spinner as it had to go in corner to corner. You might have noticed that I had to open your scissors (I got to the post office & realized that I forgot mine at home) you should of seen the tape all curling & hanging from the table & me trying to keep it from tangeling, as I had to put your scissors back into the box before I taped it shut. haha
    Happy Gardening.
    ;o) Debbie
    PS what kind of plants does your son have in his 5 senses garden? When I added the "animal name" seeds for your daughter I just really drew a blank on the senses thing - I mean most all flowers you can See, Touch and Smell

• moms_garden
    17 years ago

i'll be posting my package to candy, next week. sorry, its late getting off..have like, 3 swaps, to get out,lol..but, i love it all!
    will post, when its out.
    sheila

• efrosty1
    17 years ago

just checking in

• zoegurl2001
    17 years ago

Really looking forward to my box, thanks for the update Deb. I am really hoping it will help cheer me up.
    It has been depressing times here lately, my uncle committed suicide on July 31st. It was a very hard and emotional week. Still in a bit of shock, and having a tough time dealing with things. I am feeling very down. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers everyone.

~Summer

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Summer,
    My heart goes out to You..and your Family! Life is so unpredictable, and stressful. Yet, so worth every precious day!

You, and your Family are in my Thoughts & Prayers, during this difficult time!

Hugs,
    Deb

• diene
    17 years ago

Hello Summer;
    I am so sorry for your troubles, what a shame. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Hope life gets better. diene

• zoegurl2001
    17 years ago

Thank you two for the good thoughts and prayers, I appreciate it a lot. This is a great bunch of ladies on this board!

Deb, happen to hear anything else from my pal? I sure hope I have not been forgotten about. Let me know if you've heard anything. Thanks so much.

~Summer

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Summer,
    Promise...your not forgotten about. I would send you a package if your Pal couldn't. With the "Bunny Swap" I ended up sending three packages out. ;)

I resent your info either last night or the night before (by email). Your Pal emailed me back right away and said that a really nice box would be sent out ASAP. Your Pal is Sharon, the person who usually hosts the Houseplant swaps.

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Giving this a little bump.

Snyboken, did your box go out yet for Summer?

Deb

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Giving this a bump! I would LOVE to finish this robin.
    Candycow was to send to- Momsgarden
    Momsgarden was to send to- Candycow
    Have these boxes been sent and received, please let me know.

Also, Snyboken- Sharon, have you mailed out Summer's package yet?

Deb

• zoegurl2001
    17 years ago

Hidy Ho, just checking in.

I have not received anything yet, hope Sharon hasn't vanished! I know she is running the houseplant swap like you said, so she must be around. Hope you are okay, Sharon!

It's looking like we might actually get some rain, but I better not speak too much of it, don't want to scare it away. Shhh. *fingers crossed*

~Summer

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Summer,
    I didn't forget about you. I'm going to email Sharon again, and see if your pkg. was mailed out yet.

Deb

• zoegurl2001
    17 years ago

Hey Deb,

Any word? Just wonderin'. Thanks.

~Summer

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Summer,
    Sharon (Snyboken) emailed me over the weekend, and said the box will be going out today.

Sharon,
    Please post a delivery conf. # so the pkg. can be tracked.

Thanks,
    Deb

• zoegurl2001
    17 years ago

Okie dokie, thanks for letting me know what's up. :)
    I'm excited!

~Summer

• moms_garden
    17 years ago

I'm sorry late getting this out to candy..but been hectic around here. my hubby moved out, so were separted at this time. He said he pay some of the bills..but, i'm worried abouthow..i'm going have money to mail out,lol..I get an check the 1st..might have to do that..
    He won't have money to give me for it. but, i will get it off..as i don't want candy think, i forgotten..or you diane..
    Have you heard from candy..cause i haven't..
    sheila

• moms_garden
    17 years ago

I swear i posted earlier,lol!!
    anyway, i'm late in sending candy's...as its been hectic around here...my hubby moved out, so its hard on money right now..and my daughter just went school, k-5..
    so, i'm going be late, but hopefully, hubby will help, getting my things out. so, let candy know. I haven't see her post anywhere..
    sheila

• zoegurl2001
    17 years ago

Hey Deb,

Just wanted to let ya' know, I never got a package this week. :( Guess Sharon must be really busy or something, which I can understand. Just wanted to let you know, though.

~Summer

• zoegurl2001
    17 years ago

I just walked in the door, and came home to a really heavy box from Sharon! Haven't had a chance to open it yet, but wanted to let you know it is here!! I will post later after I have opened it! :))) I'm sorry I was impatient and posted that I didn't receive last week. I feel bad. I'm excited now! Will post the list in a bit.

~Summer

• zoegurl2001
    17 years ago

Okay, here's what was in this fun package!

garden gloves
    a pretty little red, white, & blue candle, which I put on my nightstand for now
    some beautiful sounding wind chimes, they will be great on my porch!
    a cute flip flop garden decoration
    a really cute green garden sign. I will save it for our new house, and find a perfect spot somewhere for it there when we move.
    a neat plaque, that says "This is the day which the Lord hath made"
    some magazines which I will have fun looking at. A BH&G, and 2 Traditional Home mags
    a book, "Garden Style Decorating". It has some gorgeous, very inspirational photos, I can tell I will love looking through this one!
    and last but not least, 4 packs of seeds. I love seeds.

Thanks so much Sharon, for this great box! I had so much fun looking through it and finding all the treasures inside. Haven't seen you post, hope you are doing okay and finding ways to stay cool.

~Summer

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Summer,
    I'm glad your package arrived! ;)

This swap is basically complete!
    Momsgarden and Candycow didn't mail packages out yet (to each other). So, if they decide to do so, fine...if not, it's really their choice.
    I had a ball hosting this swap! Thanks to everyone who joined!

Deb

• snboyken
    17 years ago

My apologies to Deb and Summer for my lateness, So sorry to hold up ending your swap for my box. Please forgive me.

• zoegurl2001
    17 years ago

Oh my, Beth, you are so sweet!!!! Well, today, I got quite a surprise. Another package at my door, and I wasn't expecting any other packages from swaps this month, so it was a mystery to me! I opened it, and it was a box from Beth, because she thought I wasn't going to receive from my pal. I can't believe you went to all that trouble!! I feel really guilty that I ended up getting two boxes from this swap. I don't feel right. I almost feel like I need to send you something now, too, Beth, because you were so sweet for sending me a box when you thought I wasn't going to get one!! I can't believe how wonderful the ladies are here on this board, you are the most generous bunch I have ever had the pleasure of knowing! Like I said, I feel really guilty, but am so grateful for your generosity, Beth. You have really brightened my day. I want to apologize to you, though, because you went through all the trouble of sending a box to me, and I ended up getting a box from my pal anyway. I hope you're not upset. Your box was so thoughtful, here is what was inside:

-A really cute/thoughtful card, I love the picture!
    -2 kinds of Daylilies, Super Purple and Black-Eyed Stella (I love daylilies, they are quickly becoming a fav. of mine.)
    -A really cute little garden stake with a frog on it
    -An 'Autumn Leaves' candle, smells so good
    -Some all-purpose magnetic clips, for clipping things to the fridge and things of that nature, they will definately go to good use in this house
    -A few bubbles envies and some packing tape, can always use those of course!
    -A container of chocolate sticks Beth says are her favorite. I LOVE chocolate, but who doesn't? lol. I figured they were probably melty from the trip, so I put them in the fridge. Can't wait to try them later, they look so yummy!
    -A really cute fall decorated jar, full of tulip bulbs, 2 packs of seeds, and peanut butter flavored taffy candies. I didn't care if they were melty, I had to try one. Soo good.

Beth, I feel so guilty that you went to all this thought and time for me, what a beautiful soul you must be! I feel like my thank you doesn't cut it, but still, thank you!!

~Summer

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Summer,
    Beth's such a sweet person...always thinking of others!
    I'm so glad that I joined such a wonderful, thoughtful group!

Hugs to all~

Deb

• zoegurl2001
    17 years ago

Oh, and I can't forget one other thing she sent, the latest issue of Country Gardens. I love this mag, it has great photos and articles. Couldn't leave that out! Thanks again Beth.

~Summer

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Summer,
    I love Country Gardens too.. Actually, all Home/Garden magazines. So many ideas, so little time, LOL!

Deb

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Summer, so glad to hear the box arrived already. It is great that you got two packages, just relax and enjoy. A little surprise now and then in a good thing,
    BB

• snboyken
    17 years ago

Summer, looks like something good came out of me being so late. enjoy your two boxes, hope they bring a smile to your face.

Again I apologize to Debby and Summer for being so late. And Beth thanks for thinking of Summer such as you did. that was very thoughtful of you.

I ended up sending a couple of boxes out from the hosueplant swap that weren't fullfilled, so debby please know I am sorry.

Have a great Holidy weekend all.

• zoegurl2001
    17 years ago

Beth, I see from the conf. # that my little thank you gift was delivered yesterday. Post so I know it got there okay, when you get a spare minute. Sure hope you like. And I didn't even know it was your birthday this last weekend!! So consider it a happy birthday present! :))

~Summer

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor