Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smitties50

MNF's August swap. Recycle and Read

smitties
12 years ago

Due to the ill health of Nottougly, sjc48, (Shirley) and I thought it would be a good idea to give her a break from hosting a new swap for August. Shirley has agreed to co-host with me so we are going to go ahead and post our idea. Faye, I hope you don't mind but we know you have been very ill and didn't want to bother you about this. You have enough to deal with.

August MNF Used Book Swap!

For August we'll be doing a Used Book Swap! We'll be sending a used gardening book, cookbook, herb book, or gardening craft book AND along with the book, you will be sending some of the seeds mentioned in the book!

Seeds only please, because of the heat.

Where to find the books?

your own bookshelves, ebay, used book stores, yard/garage sales. Also Alibris or Amazon, but the shipping could get pricey.

Where to find the seeds?

your stash or from your garden; the big box stores might have them on sale; dollar store seeds are okay too.

You are welcome to use a padded envelope but either way, remember Delivery Confirmation is a must? Please do not use book rate postage as this can be a lengthy delivery time.

You have until August 12 to sign up.

When you have picked out your book, email me with the title, whether it is hard or soft back, how many pages, and in what condition. Maybe even a bit of a description. I would like to include a bit of information on the book for the next owner.

Also include your full name and home address.

I'll post the books, and the order in which we get to chose our books on August 13.

And how do we know who gets to choose first?

It's quite simple: the first person to pick a book will be the person who has used the word "book" the most in his/her posts to this swap! Then the second highest number, and on and on--

Our July swap was so full of conversation and energy, we are hoping to keep that going.

You will have until August 19 to mail your book.

Anyone ready to get some new reading material, come on and join in and let's start talking!!!!!

Comments (150)

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Margo, those geothermal systems are cool, and they're great at keeping the house the right temp! I used to have a buddy who designed them. I'd never heard of them, but he taught me about how they work and I found it quite interesting. It'll all be worth it!

Mavis, I know which books you're talking about. And you know what? Mary Stewart wrote 5 of those books, which I didn't know about until I just googled the trilogy. Here's the list I found...
    Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy
    1.The Crystal Cave (1970)
    2.The Hollow Hills (1973)
    3.The Last Enchantment (1979)
    4.The Wicked Day (1983)
    5.The Prince and the Pilgrim (1995)
    I've started reading The Crystal Cave a couple of times, but have never made it all the way through. Might be time to try again, eh?

If you'd like to try out another spin on the Arthurian tale, Jack Whyte wrote a series of books (starting with The Skystone) beginning with the Roman occupation of England and Arthur's forefathers. I'll warn you though, once you start reading those books you won't be able to quit until the end!

Okay, that's enough for me tonight. Time for a light snack and my kindle. G'night everyone!

Dan

323 + 1 + 4 = 328

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Hey Everyone! Another long, lazy day here, also hot inside and out. I got my electric bill-Lord have mercy! No more air conditioner unless it gets to 100. Good thing I have fans. Amd it's raining right now-hope that cools things down.
    Mavis! I read the Merlin Trilogy at least twice a year! The Crystal Cave is on my list of all time favorites. I have The Wicked Day, but didn't know about the Prince and the Pilgrim-Thanks Dan! I have all the rest of her books too. I like Mary Higgins Clark and John Grisham too.
    I owe Bunny an apology-I put her down for 0 in the word count and she actually had 6-sorry, Bunny!
    Alana-been meaning to tell ya-that is a Giant Swallowtail in your pic! And Allie looks sweet as always. Is she walking thro the water? Tabs would do that!
    Hi to Beth, Ellie, Annie, Iris, Grace, Kathie, Linda and Faye! And anyone that I forgot!
    I'll be posting a game on Thursday, along with the word count. Be watching for it!
    Later!
    Shirley!

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

Thanks Shirley. Yes, the Zoo had misting stations about every 30 feet to try to keep people and animals cool in the terrific heat and Allie lingered in all of them. Okay. I did too...another reason I don't have good pictures. I kept trying to keep my phone and camera dry.
    No books for me today. I won't have time for a book. That's okay. I may have a few more books than bunny, but I am seriously behind the pack of bookers, alas.
    Have a great day,
    Alana
    4/72

• elliesfun
    12 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Sorry I have been away from the computer for so long, but I have had to do double duty of weeding, etc at home and getting all my unfinished projects done at work. I will be out of commision for the next 10 days or so. I am going in for eye surgery this morning for a cancerous growth and won't be able to do anything especially bending over etc. I guess it's a good thing the garden isn't doing anything yet. The berries are winding down and I will let the birds have them. I haven't picked out a book yet and I guess I should because I won't be able to wear glasses for a few days either (can't see). Faye, sorry to hear that it is taking so long to get rid of the pnemonia. People don't realize just how bad it is. I have lost several relatives plus my Mom to pnemonia. It's scary.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful summer and not too hot where you are at. We are finally getting some eighty degree weather. Well got a few things to do before I leave so everyone have a wonderful day.

Ellie

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Good Morning All!
    Ellie-Please take care of yourself and don't worry about the swap-lots of time left-sending prayers and good thoughts your way! When possible, let us know how you are.
    Okay, a question for you all:
    Have you ever read a book that just made you cry?
    For me, they are:
    Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx,
    Remembering Blue by Connie May Fowler, and
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy.
    All three were about the loss of a loved one, but more importantly, how they dealt with that loved one while they were alive. Very sad-cried for a week over Brokeback Mountain.
    It's a rainy day here, gotta walk over and pick up my book for the swap later. Yeah, I'll probably come home with a few other books too!
    Wish I could remember to count my book words!
    Later!
    Shirley!

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

I love Kristin Hannah. She's one of my favorite authors, along with Nicolas Sparks. I have to say the novels are MUCH better than the movies! I think my favorite Nicolas Sparks novel was "The Notebook". (ack, I used that B word! LoL!) There was so much more depth to the novel than the movie.

We are having yet another scorcher here. Keep breaking records right & left. It was 82 when I got up at 7:30 this morning. Supposed to climb to 108 today. We'll see. That was the temp yesterday, but The bank thermometer said 114, so all I know is...I AM SO THANKFUL TO HAVE AC!! And I'm praying it holds out, with 7 little ones & one more on the way...it's been rough trying to get out anywhere. Grocery shopping is purely awful. We don't have AC in vehicles, so it's a matter of getting up before sunrise & getting it done in record time. *sigh* I'll be thankful for fall!
    And I'm looking forward to that "cool" front coming in this weekend, where the highs will ONLY get to 101. Yay! :o:

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

I can't say that a book has ever made me cry, but when I finished reading the Amityville Horror I was spending the night at my oldest sister's house, and I made her come sit with me until I went to sleep. I love reading scary books, but that one and the Shining spooked me to pieces!
    I'm not sure when I'll get the time to list my favorite 100 Books, but here's a list of books I like to read over and over...

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
    The Stand by Stephen King
    It by Stephen King
    The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King
    The Narnian Chronicles by C.S. Lewis
    The Camulod Chronicles by Jack Whyte
    The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
    The Shannara Series by Terry Brooks
    The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer
    The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury
    The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
    The Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card

And of course, whenever James Patterson comes out with another Alex Cross book, that's a gottaread too...lol!
    I'm currently reading my way through the Earth's Children series by Jean Auel which began with Clan of the Cave Bear. I've read the books multiple times, but now that the final book is out, I'm re-reading them all again.

The book genres which I prefer are fantasy, horror, mystery, and historical fiction. When I moved into my current house, I filled my father's pick-up twice with just boxes of books. It's funny to think of now, but I could've insulated my house with bookshelves, and kept my heating bill down to almost nothing...lol! I've culled my library quite a lot though, taking I don't know how many carloads of books to the local library. I'm down to one 3'x6' bookshelf now, which makes a lot more room in my living room for other furniture! And of course, the number of books I have stored on my kindle is growing almost daily. Thankfully, I'm signed up for amazon's daily list of free books!

So what are everyone else's favorite books? Post your lists, and who knows, maybe someone else will want to read them too!

Take care!
    Dan

328 + 15 = 343

• mavis07
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    I'm excited about hearing my favorite books being talked about! Shirley, I'm glad I'm not the only one entranced with the Merlin books! The third one I was trying to remember was the Last Enchantment. I do remember reading the Wicked Day but not the Prince and the Pilgram. I'm heading to the library soon! Dan I'll check into the Jack Whyte books - sounds good. I know what you mean about The Shining - one of the eeriest books I ever read! I took it to the beach with me when I was 18 and stayed up all night reading it and I was so wonderfully spooked! The movie wasn't as good but Jack Nicholas really played the part - he looks rather insane on his best day IMOHO lol. I do read about all of the James Patterson books too - my faves are the Womens Murder Club series. Alex Cross books are good too. I like Nicholas Sparks too, some of his stuff I've only seen in the movie version tho. Message in a Bottle is a good one to cry to! Dan, have you ever read a book that made you laugh so hard you cried? Janet Evanovich's books do that to me. She is sooo funny in some parts. I'm almost afraid to put this in writing but I have never read any of the Harry Potter books :0 I tried to watch one of the movies and just didn't get into it. Maybe I should start with the books - what do you think?

• mavis07
    12 years ago

For my book count,

13+10=140 :-)

Mavis

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Hey, hope everyone had a good day!
    I'm not really up to typing 50 book titles, so I'll just give you my top ten of all time:
    Grapes of Wrath-Steinbeck
    Terms of Endearment-Larry McMurtry
    Plainsong-Kent Haruf
    The Hobbit-Tolkien
    The Color Purple-Alice Walker
    The Education of Little Tree-Forest Carter-yes, I've read all the negative stuff about this book, but how can you fault a book that says: "You can't lie without making trouble for yourself"?
    Remembering Blue-Connie May Fowler
    Brokeback Mountain-Annie Proulx
    The God of Small Things-Arundhati Roy, and
    The Milagro Beanfield War by John Nichols, which is the one that makes me laugh everytime I read it, Mavis!
    Series that I like are written by
    Donna Leon-the Commissario Brunetti series,
    Jennifer Chiaverini, the Elm Creek Quilters, and
    Laurie R. King, the Sherlock Holmes/Mary Russel series.
    Also the Little House on the Prairie books.
    Also love anything by Ed McBain, Tony Hillerman, James Herriot, Sue Grafton, John Grisham, and Dick Francis.
    I like the old "romance" writers, like, Mary Stewart, Dorothy Eden, Phyliss Whitney and Norah Lofts. Also a lot of older writers. And I collect Pulitzer Prize winning novels-some of them makes you wonder what the committee was thinking!
    That pretty much covers it, oh, tried to read the Harry Potter books, couldn't, but I loved the movies, I think.
    I want to try the Jack Whyte books too!
    Hey, have a great night!
    Shirley!

• celeegra
    12 years ago

Faye, sooooo good to see you back!

Thanks everyone for all the warm welcomes. Dan, your Thundercats devotion is awesome.

Shirley, glad to hear that the plants are happy in their new home. I'm sure they love you dearly. :)

Annie, wish I had chickens to train to clean their own cages. 'sigh'

I'm happy to enter only one book. Just have to figure out which one. As for starting a new swap, I think I'll wait a bit for that. I just started the Birthday Club Round Robin & boy there's a lot to organizing. Still I'm glad we're getting it off the ground.

Maybe I'll try to come in last for this swap. I like some mystery in life anyway.
    Grace
    4 +1=5

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Good Morning! Here's where you all stand in the B-word race!
    Beth - 0
    Faye - 2
    Linda - 4
    Grace - 5
    Bunny - 7
    Kathie - 8
    Iris - 30
    Ellie - 31
    Alana - 72
    Shirley - 83
    Mavis - 140
    Margo - 186
    Annie - 308
    and in first place once again-
    Dan - 343
    Well, we have clear winners so far in first and last place! The last day to sign up is the 12th, so you still have time to jump up into first place! Please remember to email the title of your book, info and address to Margo before the 12th.
    I'll be right back with the game, need to get more coffee in my system!
    Shirley!

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Time for some fun and games!
    This game is very simple: All you have to do is guess how many books are on my large bookcase! Easy, right?! We'll announce the winner on the 10th. Margo will be sending the winner a book, and I'll be sending a pack of seeds to the person who can tell me how many "pictures, knicknacs, old greeting cards, all that type of stuff" I have to move to get to these books!
    The bookcase is 3 1/2" by 7' and has 6 shelves, if that's any help!
    Let the Game begin!
    Shirley!

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

Look at those book numbers! I am shocked to find myself in the middle of the pack. I thought I made less book than almost anyone.
    Yesterday I harvested some seeds that will be going with my book when we get around to the sending portion of the swap. It may rain today and I don't have anything scheduled until late afternoon, so I think I will read a little of the book "And the Devil Will Drag You Under" that I started yesterday while I was waiting on someone. I enjoy older science fiction books; sometimes the extrapolations are current reality.
    Have a good day,
    Alana
    5/77

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

Shirley~ I'll guess 201. That's just a few more than I have on my shelf, mine is about the same size, but only a 5 shelf.

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

Uh, I'll guess 235 books, 17 obstacles in the way of the books. Thanks for the opportunity to say books some more.
    Alana
    3/80

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Sooo, are you trying to tell me I talk a lot? Hmmm??? Lol, well, if you didn't know it by now, all I can say is, where the heck have you been??? I'm just glad you two came up with another way to keep everybody talking! It used to be that the mnf swaps always had to have extra threads because of all the great conversation, and I think that's why all of us "old-timers" miss it so much. You could hardly get a word in, and I don't know how many times there would be posts within minutes or seconds of one another! (and don't think for a minute I've forgotten about being thrown in the van and dumped off in my own padded room...ahem!!!)

As for your shelves Shirley, I'm going to guess 203 books, and 15 objects in the way.
    Hugs to All!
    -Dan (344)

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Good Morning All! We're having another beautiful, cool day here in SE MI. What are everybody's plans for the day? I've got to book on out to Wal-Mart at some point, also have to go pick up my book for the swap, and book on down to the post office. Sometimes it seems like it takes a lot to get me out of the house. Lately, I've been putting it off until it's absolutely ridiculous!
    The groundhog has settled in-he/she has dug a HUGE hole right behind my shed. Need to call Animal Control. So far, it hasn't taken out anymore of my plants.
    Hey, better go get busy on the day!
    Later!
    Shirley!

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Good Morning book maniacs,

I see the "book" games have begun! My guesses....

****Books on the shelf......328

****Items and objects in the way of the books..... 53

Must run!! Happy Friday!

Annie previous 308 + 5 = 313 "books"

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Happy Saturday! Looks like it's going to be another beautiful day here! I hope everybody else is having nice weather and getting out there to enjoy it!
    Got my book for the swap yesterday. It's in really good condition for as old as it is-was very pleased. While I was at the bookstore, I decided to try some new authors, and picked up 3 used books! Have any of you ever read: "A Virtuous Woman' by Kaye Gibbons; "The Finishing School" by Gail Godwin; and, "Prairie Nocturne" by Ivan Doig? I've never heard of any of these people, but I like to try new books, and if I don't like them they can go out in the small yard sale I'm having next weekend!
    I have some gardening to do today, better get out there before it warms up too much, talk to ya all later!
    Shirley!

• mavis07
    12 years ago

We might get some rain!! Yay! I feel for the folks tho who are getting too much of the good thing. Flash flooding is serious business. I'm hoping for a good soaking tho - 2-3 days long would work for me! The temp was in the low 80's yesterday and is supposed to be in the mid 80's today. That's a nice relief from the last week or two of high's closer to 100. Bunny - you do have high temps don't you?

Shirley sounds like you bought some interesting books. Hope they are good! I currently have 3 different books I am reading at the same time. Unusual for me but none of the books really grip my attention. I guess there is so much other stuff going on. I loaded my car with books to share with siblings today. We are having a big family picnic (maybe in the rain) and it will be great to see everyone. My sibs read the same books I do. Hopefully they will bring a new book or two for me!

Shirley, I'm guessing 216 books and 12 items you need to move!

140+7=147

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

We were supposed to have rain today, but so far it has been clear and sunny.
    Books are flying off the shelves at the local stores. Notebooks, Theme books, text books. Backpacks to carry books are selling well too. School books get heavy, as I recall. School started back here last Wednesday for one of the local school systems, next week for the City system and the Catholic School. Back to the books! I am not very creative, lol.
    Alana
    7/87

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    12 years ago

Hello everyone ! Rain is on the way , my garden needs it !Loving all the book stuff on here ... I have a BORDERS gift card I need to use before they go out of business ... so sad ... and getting lots of ideas here . My book shelves are bursting at the seams but my motto is ..." you can never have enough books " every year our FRIENDS OF THE LIBRARY puts on a HUGE book sale here, great books at cheap cheap prices ... my SO always says..." Iris, do you need more books ? " I answer "its not about need !!! " he he !

Books on the shelf......125

Items and objects in the way of the books..... 24

30 + 8 = 38

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

Our temp was 110 today, with humidity factored in, it feels like 117. UGH. They were actually comparing it to Death Valley on the news a few days ago...said we reached the same temps (we both had 118)! We've been in the 100's for the past few weeks, mostly bouncing between 105-110. BUT...There is supposed to be a "cool" front coming in next week, bringing us down to the 90's. Yay! Is that sad when 90 feels cool? :) We are hoping the front brings some much needed rain, but I think we'd all just be happy to be able to go outside without cooking. It's so hard to breathe outside right now!
    And I know I'll be glad when I can finally talk with the neighbors about something other than "how did you survive the oven today?" Sheesh!

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Hi All!
    Bunny-Death Valley?-Man, that's hot. Hope you get some relief soon. It's got to be miserable, especially when expecting. I had two of the kids in July, nowhere near 100 as I remember it, and it was still pretty bad. BTW-Congratulations!
    Iris-Thank you for the perfect answer for when the next person says to me "Do you need more books?" Our library system here in Monroe always has a huge booksale once a year-Love it!
    Alana-that WAS a very creative use of the book word-made sense too.
    Okay, game update: one person has come close to the number of books. No one close on all that stuff on the shelves! Did I tell ya you don't have to count the 2 cameras?
    Sorry!
    We got rain today, and I spent the day dodging the raindrops while I was laying cardboard on some of my flower beds. I'm having a grass invasion in one of them, but mainly, I am SO tired of weeding. It looks like crap, but that's okay for now, will cover with mulch in the fall.
    Off to take a shower and get the rest of the mud off!
    Shirley!

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Hello and Good Evening Everyone!
    We had a little bit of rain today, very refreshing! I'm hoping we get some thunder-boomers tomorrow like they're predicting. I love t-storms! Especially if they happen during the day because then I can go out walking in them and play in the mud and itty-bitty streams...lol! Yep, almost 46 and still just a kid at heart!
    After work today I went to see the Viet Nam Wall Moving Memorial with a buddy of mine. It's located this week about an hour from where we live. I don't know of anyone close to me who is actually on the Wall, but it was quite the experience anyway. I don't care who you are, but when you see big burly bikers crying because they survived and their friends didn't, it'll knock you down emotionally. I saw everything left at the Wall from flowers to letters to unopened cans of beer to rifles and helmets. If the Moving Memorial ever comes close to you, go. Along with the wall of names of everyone who died in Viet Nam, they have a timeline of the war, and they've started a wall listing everyone who has died in the current wars. Families, soldiers, and friends are there, trying to understand what happened and moving one more step trying to put their lives back together. It was truly quite the experience.
    Tomorrow, if everything goes according to plan, I'll be going to a self-made double feature at the theater. If not tomorrow, then Monday. Which two movies am I going to see? That's an easy one! I'll be seeing Harry Potter AND the new Planet of the Apes! I haven't done a double feature in years, so this will be a lot of fun!

Everyone have a good one!
    Talk to y'all later!
    Dan

• mavis07
    12 years ago

We finally got a little rain. Not the good soaking rain that we need but a little is better than none right?! We had a big family gathering and there was a shelter. All who wanted to stay dry did, and the young folks and kids didn't let the rain slow them down at all. It was fun to see everyone having a good time!

There were no book exchanges this time tho :( I need to use the word book one more time so I'll have an even number so here I go...book!

Have a great day!

Mavis

147+3=150!

• smitties
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi ya all! I just had to say that since I am down in South Carolina visiting my son and dil. It is HOT here. I am not sure how many of you live down this way but I notice you can't do much gardening unless you are willing to spend hours watering. No one really has much in the line of gardening due to the heat. There are some trees and bushes in bloom here though that are pretty.

We went out to the ocean yesterday and then made a trip to Charleston and hit a book store while we were there. Of course, I couldn't pass up buying my dil a gardening book. They aren't quite into real gardening yet but I need to work with them. I also bought myself a water gardening book and since they were such a good deal, bought another of the same book for a future swap. Then I bought three more books at a resale shops. Some people but typical souvenirs and I buy books as mine.

I was wondering if I can do the game too since I am a co host or am I ineligible. I have no idea how many books are on Shirley's shelves or what is in the way.

I have to go play a card game now so will check in later. Hope you are all staying cool.

smitties

186+7=193

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Margo! since you're not living with Shirley, why not play her guessing game? last Christmas I helped Kym with her christmas card seed swap, and we let one another play each other's games. so take a guess! I don't see any problems with it!
    it sounds like you had a great trip! good for you!
    dan

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone! Just got back from a day of running around visiting friends. My friend Rhonda and I do this every once in a while, just to keep in touch with everyone. Good day!
    Margo! Of course you can play the game. Sounds like you're having a great time in SC!
    We had rain here again today, got some stuff down outside before we left, including more cardboard on the beds! It really looks strange! As far as I can tell the groundhog hasn't eaten anything else, which is a good thing!
    I've started all 3 of my new books, I think they are going to be keepers, not that I have room for them!
    Hi to Mavis, Dan, Iris, Bunny, Kathie, Beth, Alana, Grace, Ellie, Annie, Linda and Faye-Hope everyone had a great day, and spent some time reading a good book!
    Shirley!

• celeegra
    12 years ago

Dan, I just saw your BBC list & I'm astounded at some of their choices. I'm also surprised that people have only read about 6 from the list. I counted 68. A lot of the dickens & Steinbeck were from school. Loved Watership Down altho the movie scared me. But then so did the tripping pink elephants parade scene in dumbo.
    I loved Possession. & of course read all of the lord of the rings, the lion the witch & the wardrobe, Harry potter & twilight series.
    Some personal faves that weren't on the list:
    Art & lies by Jeanette winterson
    wrinkle in time series by Madeleine l'engle
    sleep by banana yoshomoto
    letters to a young poet by Rainier maria Rilke
    joy of cooking by Irma romnauer & Marion r Becker
    almost anything on knitting

for anyone who likes Twilight, i'd highly recommend The Host by the same author. I know the movies are compelling, but this one's much better writing.
    That's my 2 cents
    Grace

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Happy Monday! More rain here today! I just got done putting 3 more layers on my lasagne bed-cardboard (the VERY last of the boxes), coffee grounds and a good thick layer of newspaper. Now I need to find more straw and more manure. Need to find a way to get them all back here to the house, too!
    Well, one of the new books is a no-go. The Finishing School is just not catching my attention, so out to the yard sale it goes! Will try one of the other new books tonight.
    Found this saying, can't remember if anyone else posted it or not:
    "Books should be brought to the doorstep like electricity, or milk in England. Books should be considered utilities."
    On that note!
    Later!
    Shirley!

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

Finally. Massive thunderstorms moved through this evening and dropped temperatures into the 80's. Hail the size of walnuts cooled the air...so refreshing.
    It will be interesting to see what books everyone has chosen. Garden books, craft books, cook books...I'm sure there are some great books out there.
    Alana
    87/92

• celeegra
    12 years ago

My friend was telling me over the weekend how some guy on a first date asked her if she ever read "real" books. Turns out this young man only reads electronic books now. What has the world come to?

I think i'm at 7 now.... Grace

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Hi All! I'm glad you finally got some cooler weather, Alana, ours has cooled down quite a bit, more showers off and on all day. Refreshing is a great word. Did you get that out of a book!?
    A friend got a Kindle for Christmas, at the time I thought, no, need to have the actual book setting on a shelf or stacked in the corner. However, I HAVE thought of a good use for the Kindle: I will get all my favorite books on one, and then when Chris puts me in the nursing home, I won't have to worry about the "no room for books" rule! Why couldn't that work?! I'm surprised she hasn't thought of it!
    I liked Twilight, but none of the other books. I want to try The Host; this is such a neat swap-I've already added several new books/authors to the list!
    We do have a great selection of books already posted for the swap-all different categories! I already know which one I want, well, unless a better one comes along! If you haven't emailed Margo with your book, info and address, please do so before the 12th!
    Dan, did you do your double feature? I loved the original Planet of the Apes, didn't like the new version with, what was his name, Wahlberg? Would like to see this new movie.
    Later!
    Shirley!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

Whoa... a BOOK SWAP!?!?! Oh yes, I am SOOO in!! Books are definitely my next favorite item to collect besides seeds! :)) Ebay gets me in trouble in so many (fulfilling & money depleting) ways! :)) It's been a good while since I've done a MNF swap anyways so this will get me back in the game.

Dan ~ SUCH an over achiever!!! lol :P I better 'book' it to catch up with you!!

Please sign me up and I'll go have a look at my ridiculously stuffed bookshelf and see what I can manage to part with. I actually got rid of about 6 books last week to the local Goodwill. (an EXCELLENT place to pick up books by the way!)

*a whopping 6 so far!*

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

This is actually a faceBOOK status that is being spread around among friends in my group.. but I thought it might work here as well. Might get some pretty funny BOOK quotes out of this!

It's national BOOK week! The rules: grab the closest BOOK to you (no cheating). Go to page 56. Copy the 5th sentence as your status. Don't mention the BOOK. Also post the rules as part of your status.

"Her voice turned coy and teasing, "Come here, amore'!"

(It's a BOOK about the Renaissance period.. really! lol)

*6+6=12*

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

Wendy, why do I think sentence 6 would be too much for GW to handle?
    Sentence 5 on page 56 of the book closest at hand: "Covering the wall so cleanly really did something for me."
    Alana
    92/93

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Hi Wendy and Welcome!
    Sentence 5 of the closest book: "Really, quite obnoxious".
    It's a mystery.
    Alana-did you get lots of rain?
    Wendy-feel free to join in the "Shirley's Bookshelf" game, and send send your book info to Margo before the 12th
    Glad you could join!
    Shirley!

• smitties
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah, we are back home after a wonderful week. It was great seeing my son and dil but I am happy to be back home again. Since I bought them the garden book, I brought back the book I had lent to them a few months back.

I am going to go back and check all the posts and see what is involved in the books guessing game. I think I saw the deadline is tomorrow but I will check. If I am too late to give my guess on the number of books, it is my fault.

I will be back tomorrow. I need to get a list of those who have signed up so far. I don't think too many of you have sent me the book info for listing in the swap. If you can give me a brief description of the book as well as how many pages it has, that would be great.

Oh yeah, my gardens look good. We have had some rainfall and more today. Of course, the weeds grew just as good as the plants while I was gone.

Good day to all, Margo

193+6=199

Oh heck, might as well make it an even 200 for the word book.

193+7=200

• mavis07
    12 years ago

My book:
    an acre of land, but that his nearest neighbor-Mrs.Knowl......
    I was lucky to have a book to grab because I am at work. We have a "lost and found" and someone had turned a couple of books in that were found. Otherwise I would have had to use one of our notebooks to quote from : )

I will send my book information to you on Wednesday Margo!

Have a great day!

Mavis

150+5= 155

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

Hmmm. Line 5 of page 56...

Aunt Liddy's shoe.

• smitties
    Original Author
    12 years ago

book page 56, sentence five reads as follows

much less nectar to survive and reproduce in cold climate and

(gardening book of course).

So I came back to see when the deadline for the book shelf guess is and it is tomorrow. Can you guys believe how fast time is passing? Anyway, my number for books on the bookshelves is 265 and there is 36 items in the way of the books.

Oh, and the winner will get to choose from a list of three or four books I have purchased in the past for this purpose. I will be mailing it the cheapest way which might be book rate which is a little slower. If I happen to be the winning guesser which is most doubtful, the one who comes in second will get the book choice. Good luck to all book guesses.

Margo

200+10=210

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

My double-feature was an absolute blast, even though I ate too much popcorn...lol! would you believe I was in the theater for almost 5 hours? I loved it! Harry Potter was a great ending to the series, and the Planet of the Apes was the best in the whole series! It gave a new beginning to the Apes, and I left the theater hoping that such things weren't going on in the medical research labs now. I have a sister who works at the Mayo Clinic in one of their research labs, and let's just say that this Apes movie is entirely plausible, okay? Makes me shiver just to think of it, but I'd give the movie an 11 on a scale of 1-10. Even if you've never seen a Planet of the Apes movie before, see this one!

Okay, I've grabbed the nearest book, turned to page 56, and line 5 reads...
    "outdoors include trees, shrubs, climbers, perennials, alpines, and bulbs. Some"

g'nite everyone!
    -Dan
    1 + 344 = 345

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

Shirley ~ I'm gonna go high with my guess... 364 BOOKS, and 28 knicknacks in front of the BOOKS :)

12+2=14

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Good Evening/Morning Book junkies,

I have not been around for a few days...thought I would check in on the book swap and happenings.

Speaking of "Goodwill" and books.....I chuckle (just a little) when I think of a lovely, classy lady who had many books....many, many books. She kept them in boxes around her home. She always said that one day she would donate them. But for the time being they would stay put as she often would read them again. I offered to take them to Goodwill and she would always say no. In fact, she did not want anyone even looking through the boxes of books. Her husband got to the point that he could not stand it anymore....boxes of books everywhere. While his wife was gone one day, he took several of the large boxes of books to Goodwill for donation (yes, without telling her). When his wife returned home, she noticed that many of her beloved boxes of books were no longer "home". She became very upset and I mean very upset!!! She screamed and yelled and ranted and raved and called her husband every name in the book....I know because I was their. She was one pissed off woman. I did not blame her, especially after I heard why she was really so ticked off. Yes, she loved her romantic novels, mysteries, best sellers and biographies. But in her beloved books in so many boxes, she had hidden money to the sweet tune of $15,000. One book had $100, another book had $300, and so on. After she told her husband of the money that HE GAVE AWAY, I think he nearly died. He never touched one of her books again.
    To this day when I pick up a used book at a garage sale or donation facility, I page though it. You just never know what you might find in a book...a good mystery, lots of tears, laughter, romance and escape or.....a few bucks!!!

Let me fetch the closest book. Page 56, sentence 5.......

"Many pieces require highly intricate finishing touches and their tiniest details must be treated almost microscopiclly".

Off to watch the news! Happy Wednesday!

Annie previous 313 + 18 = 331 books

12 years ago

Wanted to share some of my favorite quotes about books ...

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb

My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter. ~Thomas Helm

A dirty book is rarely dusty. ~Author Unknown

To sit alone in the lamplight with a book spread out before you, and hold intimate converse with men of unseen generations - such is a pleasure beyond compare. ~Kenko Yoshida

Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labeled "This could change your life." ~Helen Exley

A house without books is like a room without windows. ~Heinrich Mann

38 +6 = 44

12 years ago

Wanted to share some of my favorite quotes about books ...

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb

My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter. ~Thomas Helm

A dirty book is rarely dusty. ~Author Unknown

To sit alone in the lamplight with a book spread out before you, and hold intimate converse with men of unseen generations - such is a pleasure beyond compare. ~Kenko Yoshida

Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labeled "This could change your life." ~Helen Exley

A house without books is like a room without windows. ~Heinrich Mann

38 +6 = 44

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Good morning everyone! Another beautiful, COOL day here in SEMI! I've been trying to get pics of the butterflies all morning-haven't managed any good ones yet-drat!
    Well, today is the DAY for choosing the winners in our game, but first should tell you that there were 222 books on the shelves and 33 "stuffs cluttering up the shelves!" And that means that-TA DA!!
    Mavis wins the bookshelf prize, with a guess of 216, and Margo wins the "cluttering" prize, with a guess of 36!
    Congratulations, Ladies!
    Margo, I have your address, and will get the seeds out to ya in the morning!
    Mavis, I know Margo will be in touch about your choice of book and address!
    Thanks for playing, everyone!
    Okay, Friday is our deadline day! If you haven't emailed Margo with your book, info and address, please do so as soon as you can!
    Off to set on the back porch and pray that the Red Spotted Purple comes back!
    Shilrey!

• sjc48
    12 years ago

It's me again! Thought it might be time to start a new thread, so please post on the new one-Thanks!
    Shirley!