Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

o
MNF's August swap. Recycle and Read

Posted by smitties 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 23, 11 at 22:36

Due to the ill health of Nottougly, sjc48, (Shirley) and I thought it would be a good idea to give her a break from hosting a new swap for August. Shirley has agreed to co-host with me so we are going to go ahead and post our idea. Faye, I hope you don't mind but we know you have been very ill and didn't want to bother you about this. You have enough to deal with.

August MNF Used Book Swap!
For August we'll be doing a Used Book Swap! We'll be sending a used gardening book, cookbook, herb book, or gardening craft book AND along with the book, you will be sending some of the seeds mentioned in the book!
Seeds only please, because of the heat.

Where to find the books?
your own bookshelves, ebay, used book stores, yard/garage sales. Also Alibris or Amazon, but the shipping could get pricey.

Where to find the seeds?
your stash or from your garden; the big box stores might have them on sale; dollar store seeds are okay too.
You are welcome to use a padded envelope but either way, remember Delivery Confirmation is a must? Please do not use book rate postage as this can be a lengthy delivery time.

You have until August 12 to sign up.
When you have picked out your book, email me with the title, whether it is hard or soft back, how many pages, and in what condition. Maybe even a bit of a description. I would like to include a bit of information on the book for the next owner.
Also include your full name and home address.
I'll post the books, and the order in which we get to chose our books on August 13.

And how do we know who gets to choose first?
It's quite simple: the first person to pick a book will be the person who has used the word "book" the most in his/her posts to this swap! Then the second highest number, and on and on--
Our July swap was so full of conversation and energy, we are hoping to keep that going.

You will have until August 19 to mail your book.

Anyone ready to get some new reading material, come on and join in and let's start talking!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MNF's August swap. Recycle and Read

• Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 23, 11 at 23:38

Hi Everyone-just wanted to join Margo in welcoming you all to this swap-would have posted earlier but I was busy reading a book about Booker T. Washington and booking a cruise and checking out used book websites and booking over to the neighbors to borrow a book. Okay, let's see, that's 6-the gauntlet is thrown!
Welcome to August's MNF's Swap!
Shirley!

o

I love this idea and I love gardening books! Please sign me up!!!
Alana

o

Well, I don't know much about Booker T. Washington, except that he appears in some history books and has the word "book" in his first name, but as soon as I saw this posting I had to book it on into here and book my spot on this book tour!
Please book me a seat on this book and seed swap! I've already got my book picked out, and have plenty of seeds in a box on a bookshelf, so I'm all set!

Margo and Shirley, can I make one suggestion which might help you out? So you two don't go crazy reading how many times we all use the word "book", would you like us to all put at the end of our posts the number of times we used book in it? That way, all you'd need to do would be to read those numbers at the end of each post, and add them up when you get the chance.
You've come up with a great idea! I think it's just booktastic!!!
Dan

TOTAL = 11 so far.

o

I have several books I can share, so sign me up! Not even going to try getting in front of Dan in the # of times I can say book. LoL I'll be happy with last place. :)

o

Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 9:43

Good Morning! Welcome Alana and Dan!
Dan, love your suggestion, especially since I'm keeping track of the "word" count! You all can email Margo with your book, description and address!
I'm really hoping Linda will show up with some tea and bookies-cookies, I meant cookies!
Does anyone have an update on Sue or Faye?
Have a great day, All!
Shirley!
That's 8 for me!

o

Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 10:51

Welcome Bunny-didn't see ya there!
If you forget your count, don't worry-I'll be doing it too!
Shirley!

o

I've gotten a lot of work done today since booking my spot here this morning, and I haven't even taken a moment to read part of a book! By the way, did I mention that I've already got my book picked out for this swap? I just sent my name, addie, and book info to Margo, so now all I have to do is converse and mention the word "book" a few times! How easy and fun is this!!!
As some of you know, I'm painting this weekend. Yesterday we painted the living room white, and today we're painting my bedroom the same green color as a shamrock shake, lol! It's bright, cheerful, relaxing, and let's face it, now I get to say I have a "green room"! While we were waiting for the primer to dry, I fixed steaks and twice-grilled corn-on-the-cob. Don't you just love summertime meals?
I have tomorrow off from work, so I think I'm just going to relax, maybe take myself and a good book to the beach. That'd be fun!
Have fun everyone! I'll talk to you later! (unless of course, I get arrested and the police book me for crimes I haven't committed yet)
-Dan

TOTAL = 11+7 = 18

o

I think we are off to a good start. I can't believe the number of people booked for the game already. I went out shopping today. My daughter and her boyfriend have their wedding booked and now we went to choose the tuxes and ended up booking those as well.

We discovered the Borders books is going out of the book business so we went to see what deals they had on books. I couldn't believe the number of people in that store and most books and book related things were only 10 percent. We looked at bridal books but too expensive so we are going to wait to see if they go down further. My favorite section is the cookbooks and they were still only 20% so we decided to wait to check things out when they go on further markdowns. They still have shelves and shelves of books. I now realize I totally forgot to check on gardening books. Dah.

I need to go through my books to see what I would like to share with members here. I can't decide if it should be a cookbook, garden book, or what. I do have a great crafting with herbs book so might consider that as well.

I did come home not feeling well so just woke up from a nap. I don't know what came over me. As we were leaving the bookstore, my head started feeling full of pressure and my ears were plugging up. It was kind of frightening and afterwards, I was a little disoriented so had my daughter drive home. Despite the 90plus temps, I had the chills as well. I am feeling better but kind of nervous I will have it happen again.

I am going to go check my bookshelves now. I might even decide to take the rest of the evening off and read a book or one of the many magazine's I get and never have the chance to read.

Hope you all had a good weekend. I hope to see more members book a place in line to grab their choice of books in the swap.

Smitties

Um, guess that's 21.

o

Just checked my email...and I am booking my place also. I have tons of books in my library that I had built into my new home. We also have a Border book store in Spokane but I have never been there. I go to Barnes & Noble to look at their books, although I really don't need any more books. I have a library full of books, history books, How to do it books, garden books, religious books, quilting books, cook books (although I seldom cook), canning/freezing books and some novels. The only really novels that I collect are written by Johanna Lindsey. A little hard to read at first because they are written with an english dialog and are historical romantic in nature. Also on the shelf are lots of childrens books, that my kids and grandchildren read. The only problem with a library is that those bookshelves get mighty dusty at times. Since the walls are 10' high I really need a ladder setup like in real libraries that slide across the room. Guess someday I will look into it. Now, if I only had time to read those books, oh well someday after I retire.

Sometime this week I will look over my books to see if I can part with one of them. This is a great idea...so book me for this swap. (17 books)

Ellie

o

Put another finished home project on the books, my bedroom is painted, the furniture is back where it belongs (including my nightstand where I store current books and magazines, and my kindle, which is my favorite way to read books now!), the pictures and mirrors are rehung (I learned to use mirrors to brighten up a room and make it appear larger from a fung-shui book), and I've got myself a brighter, relaxing room. My place is filled with a medium-brown panelling, so painting really changes things. I re-did the bathroom a couple years ago with a seaside theme. The living room changed dramatically yesterday when we painted the walls white. Pictures which used to just fade into the background now pop out into sight, and the furniture an wall stuff keeps it from looking stark. Aaaahhhhh, it's good to get this kind of stuff done, y'know?
----------------------------------------------------------
Since this swap has a bit of a bookish theme, here's a question for everyone.... If you were stranded in an igloo at the North Pole and had only one book to read, which book would you like it to be?
My answer: If I could only have one book, it would absolutely, positively have to be "Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak. I have loved this book since I was first able to read, and have owned many copies, replacing one worn out book after another. And yes, I own the movie, which I thought was great! I like this book because it is all about imagination, and what a person can accomplish with it. And, admittedly, I've always thought of myself as a bit of a friendly Wild Thing, just like those in the book.
-----------------------------------------------------------

And now it's time to throw the 2nd bookend on my day. I believe I'll go enjoy some time with my e-book reader...hehehe. G'night everyone!
-Dan

p.s. Who knew you could use "book" so many different ways?

TOTAL: 18 + 15 = 33

o

Welcome to Alana, Dan, Bunny, and Ellie. I am so glad you could all join in on our book swap. Shirley and I are excited to get this going. Remember to email me with your information on what book you choose as well as your address.

Oh Dan, you are going to be tough to keep up with considering all your uses of the word, book.

My daughter has one of those Kindle book readers too. I can't believe the books she has been reading on that thing. She has always been a big book reader since she first learned to read. She would even fall asleep at nap time with a book in her hands.

Does anyone know a good price to charge for a book in our garage sale? We have both hardback and paperback books. These books cover all varieties of reading. Books have not been a good seller at other garage sales I have had unless they were kids books. Since our kids are grown now, we don't have a lot of young books around. If I don't sell them out, our recycling center does take books.

Oh, that reminds me. If someone happens to be dropping off books at the recycling center and she notices a good book laying in the pile of books, would it be considered stealing if this person were to happen to borrow that particular book? I would consider it recycling, wouldn't you? If not, maybe I should return this book, I mean, maybe that person should return the book. :)

Dan, as for your question about what book would I want to have with me in an igloo, I will have to think about that. Maybe a book about gardening in a cold climate.

Still haven't had a chance to check my books out so I am going to go do that now. I have bookshelves all over the house.

Margo
21+24=45

o

Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 22:37

Hi Ellie, and welcome! Loved the way you fit all the "books" in there! I am distinctly uncomfortable in a room without books, would love to have your space!
The redecorating sounds really nice, Dan, and in answer to your question, I am torn between The Color Purple and Brokeback Mountain. Two excellent books. Could also be Terms of Endearment and The God of Small Things. Oh phooey, if I can only take one book, I ain't going to that igloo!
It cooled down enough for me to get outside and do some "storm repair" to the gardens. The butterflies were really booking around! Had a Giant Swallowtail come in, and of course the Red Admiral and the little cabbage whites, along with something I swear was a Checkerspot. There has been a female Black Swallowtail laying eggs on every dill plant out there! Got some really decent shots of that! But did I get pics of the rest? I wouldn't make book on that! They move too fast and aren't hanging around to bask.
Hey, better book on up to bed!
Talk to ya all later!
Shirley!
that's 7, plus 8 for a total of 15. I need to start getting competitive here!

o

Paperbackswap is an excellent place to swap books. They've got hardbacks & paperbacks, new & used. You can also buy new books through their new marketplace. You just sign up, list 10 books that you can trade, and they give you a few credits to start swapping with. Everytime someone requests one of your books, you get a credit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paperback Swap

o

Good morning everyone. I decided to put down the book I was reading and book over here to see how many more people have signed up. Sadly, I see no new sign ups and hope that more of our book reading members will sign up. Heck, you don't even have to like to read books. Most of the kind of books we are offering are not heavy reading books. Mainly informative ones. You will be able to get tons of info and/or recipes from our books.

So in closing, I hope more and more of you that are checking this swap out decide you need a good new used book and sign up.

Smitties - 8

o

Mon, Jul 25, 11 at 9:57

Good morning! Hope everyone is having a good day so far, and seriously comtemplating joing our little book swap!
I just got done booking down to the post office to mail my daughter's B-Day package, which didn't include books, by the way. She does like to read books, but I've sent her a book gift certicate from B&N instead. I've bought too many books that she didn't like like,so thought the book gift certificate was the better idea. Our tastes in books are completely different! She doesn't like to keep the books either, once she is done reading the books, unlike me, who has the books stacked in every corner! Was that even proper English? I'll have to look that up in a book.
I just found out that our little used book store here in town is finally having to shut down. The owner has a few delaying tactics left, but the end is in sight. This is so sad. She has been struggling for the past few years. So many of the great little shops that were here in town, when I moved out here 15 years ago, are gone.
What we are left with is kind of scary.
Hey, booking on out of here!
Hope to see some more folks join in!
Shirley!
14 plus 15= 29! I'm on a roll!

o

Good Morning fellow BOOK lovers.....

BOOK me in for this fun swap! I would love to play! Gardening BOOKS, craft BOOKS, herb BOOKS, onions BOOKS, garlic BOOKS, tomato BOOKS, pepper BOOKS, spice BOOKS, appetizer BOOKS, BOOKS on Chili , BOOKS on bread, pastry BOOKS, BOOKS on decadent deserts, cookie BOOKS, crockpot BOOKS, container growing BOOKS, Italian cookBOOKS, German cookBOOKS, French cookBOOKS, Chinese cookBOOKS, Thai cookBooks, cooking with wine BOOKS, fruit BOOKS, BOOKs on growing tropicals, citrus BOOKS, BBQ BOOKS, rose BOOKS, canning BOOKS, cookbooks for the beginner, cookbooks for the bachelor, healthy cookbooks, Paula Deen cookbooks, Rachael Ray cookbooks, and the list of BOOKS goes on and on! And including seeds that are mentioned in the BOOK....
great idea!

My BOOK of choice if stranded..."Gone With The Wind" by Margaret Mitchell. If you have not read this BOOK please do...a classic novel.

Speaking of BOOK, do any of you remember the character John BOOK, played by Harrison Ford, in the 1984 film "Witness"? Outstanding film! I never read the BOOK....one of these days I will. Always loved his name....!

And then there was the 1990's movie with a BOOK theme. It was "You Got Mail" with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. Tom owned the very large BOOKstore and Meg owned the the very little BOOKstore. It was remake of the 1940's film, "The Little Shop on The Corner". Two good flicks!

Margo, I have a BOOK in mind and will send the requested BOOK info off to you soon.

If my math is correct....BOOK is mentioned 47 times!

Happy Monday!

Annie

o

Mon, Jul 25, 11 at 15:50

Hi Annie, welcome! and Wow!! 47 "books" puts you right up in there with Dan and Margo! I loved the book, Gone with the Wind; I have a battered copy of that book on my bookshelves as we speak! The movie was good too, the book was better!
Just took a walk over to our used bookstore here in town, to find a copy of the used book I want to use for this book swap. I really like this book, and think everyone should have this book, but I don't want to part with my copy of this book. In any event, Jan ordered me a copy of this book and I'm all set! It's an oldie, so I'm glad she could find a copy of this book.
And yes, while I was there, I bought two used books-one of which I have been hunting for, for years! Love it! I'm going to go start reading that book right now!
Shirley!!

o

I can't swap in August, but I love the idea for this swap. I hope it will be done again! (Hint. Hint.)
Everyone have fun!
Jeanne

o

Here's a riddle for you all: What does a hen say when she's reading a book while laying an egg?

Answer: Book, book, book, book, book, book, book, book, book, book, book, book, book, book, book, book, book, book, book, book, book, BOOOOKKKKK!

TOTAL: 33 + 23 = 56

o

Book, book, book!! Don't you guys know any other words? If not you can look some up in a book. I booked it over here first chance I had today, and it is clear the bookies won't be making book on my chances of using the word book enough to be in the competition, but that's okay.
If I could have just one book....that would be too hard to choose. Maybe I could select 1 book from several genres? No? Okay. Still, I would want 3 books in my limited book collection:
To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
Stranger in a Strange Land, Robert A Heinlein
Main Street, Sinclair Lewis

Those are my favorite books!

Time to open a cook book and make a bit of late supper.
Alana

o

Welcome Annie, glad you could join our book swap and I see you caught on to our little book game using the word book so well. I will be watching for your email to tell me about your book for the book swap.

Jeanne, sorry you had to pass on our book swap but if you change your mind and find a good book to swap in our book swap, come on back and join.

Ok, to all of you who are checking in possibly thinking of joining our book swap but feel intimidated by the fact you have to come up with word book so many times just to catch up with us who are using the word book in so many ways, have no fear, I believe the books that people are choosing to include in the book swap are all wonderful and even the last choice book will be good book, just like the last choice in our plant swap we just finished. There is no loser.

So, stop lurking and sign up for this book swap and get your place in line booked.

Hope you are all reading a good book this evening. If so, tell us about that book.

Margo

Oops, forgot to add my use of the word book in my last post so back then I used the word book 8 times plus adding that to the previous 45 times I used the word book, I should have put I used the word book 53 times. Now I will add the amount of times I used the word book in this post.

53+24=77

o

Hi book buddies, I would like to play this time! I have lots of books of lots of varieties. I've loved books since I was a child. I would have a hard time parting with any of my garden books but have a fair collection of cookbooks, so I might be able to let one of those books go. I decided to look in the phone book for used book stores and found an American Bible Society Book Store, a Barnes and Noble Book store, a Barnes Noble Booksellers listing and listings for the following: CBACollege Bookstore, Cantos Booksellers, Cokesbury Book Representative, Eclectic Book Shop, Ed Park's Books, Givens Books, LaPointe Books, Lifeway Christian Book stores, Metis Media Book store, Notebooks, Printer's Ink Book Store, Rams Head Book Shop, Scripture Truth Book Company, Verizon Phone Book, The Book End, Bookmaster, Dixie Caverns Books, Givens Books again, Paper Memories Book Shop, one of my faves The Paperback Book Exchange, Too Many Books and RR Donnelly Book Wholesaler.

I enjoy reading books, mostly novels. The books I have are mostly paperbacks, if I can wait for the book to come out in paperback, but I have quite a collection of hardback books too. This does not include the book collection I have for my grand kids. My sisters all read books too and we switch and share the books.

Dan I like you joke books, books books.

Well, I'm all booked out for now.

I counted 44 books.....whew! lol

o

Welcome to the book swap Mavis. So glad you have a clear understanding of our book language.

I am quite impressed with the number of book readers who have signed up so far.

The members who have joined our book swap are

Smitties/Margo
sjc48/Shirley
Poisondartfrog/Alana
Danthemailman/Dan
Hazelnutbunny/Melissa
farmergirl2009/Ellie
Canyonwind/Annie
Mavis07/Mavis

Alana and Melissa, if you get a chance to jot down the number of times you post the word "book" in this book swap, it would make things a little easier. Shirley is going to keep track of the word "book" that each of you post so if you can keep a running total, it would make it easier for her. If you don't have the time to do so, don't worry. We will count the word book for you.

Alana, so far I have you for a total of 15 uses of the word book. Melissa, I have you at 6 uses of the word book. I am also going to check out your website for book trading. With the number of books I have around here, (several bookshelves full), it might be handy for me. I would be happy trading 3 books for 1 book since I would like to reduce the amount of books I do have. I am not a rereader of books so once it is done, I never read the book again. I don't count cookbooks, garden books, or craft books, in this category.

I hope every time I come back to this post, we have a new member signed up to swap books.

Margo

77+22=99

o

Mon, Jul 25, 11 at 21:41

Good Lord, Mavis07, are all those bookstores in your town, or near where you live!? Lucky you!! Welcome to the swap!
I read mostly novels too. Lots of mysteries/detective books. My daughter and I were in a used book store in Ann Arbor one day, and I had my trusty little list of books I carry, so that I don't do the repeat book thing. Well, I'm looking for the authors and books I have on the list, in the fiction section-couldn't find very many of them-wondering what the h--l, some of these were popular books. Chris came over, took a look, and suggested that I look in the mysterys section, and there they all were! First time I put it together that I am a mystery buff-had never really thought about it before then! Felt kind of goofy-all these years!
In looking over my gardening/crafts/herbs, etc books, I re-discovered two that I really like and have gotten some great ideas from. They are called Gardening with Herbs, and Gardening with Containers by George Carter, illustrated by Marianne Majerus. They are spiral ringback type books, hardbacks,and are a "step by step project workbook." They list the materials and plants needed for the project and the pages fold out for the instructions. The projects are great and easily adaptable. I think there are a whole series of these books. And yes, the pictures are beautiful!
I have a hard time parting with any of my books-I had to cull for the yardsale-the old out of room on the shelves thing, and it was HARD! Chris has already told me to cut it out, as the nursing home won't let me take all these books with me. What? Nursing home? Nothing like planning out ahead, Chris, I'm only 63!
Should go and do dishes, talk to ya all later!
Shirley!

o

I'm quite the opposite of Margo as far as reading books. I have one book that I read every 4 or 5 years and have been reading this book since junior high school. It is just such a good book. I don't suppose magazines would be considered books - I have some gardening magazines that could be recycled. I might toss one or two in with my book in the swap.

There are different kinds of books, paperback books, hardback books, new books, old books, you can book a flight or book a room or book it across a parking lot. Then there a cook books, notebooks, books of stamps and more. Will someone list the ones I missed?

It's getting late so I'm gone for now. I'm sure when I lay my head on my pillow tonight, thoughts of books will pop in and out as I try to sleep!

Good night all!

44 + 18 = 62

o

I have a plan, Margo. I'm not going to use that B word any more than I absolutely have to. I'm trying for last place! :) I usually end up there anyway, so figured I wouldn't fight it this time. Kinda like the OBF white elephant swap, where I ended up with my own box because no one else wanted it. LoL Just the way it goes. At least this way, if I end up with my own, um, paperback, I know it's one I'll enjoy, and I won't have to feel bad. :)

o

I have thousands of books, but not nearly as many as I had before my storage facility was robbed books and all. Like Margo, if it is not a reference or how-to book, I am not a re-reader. I just started Clive Barker's book "Books of Blood" last night.
I have emailed my selected book to Margo-it is from my collection of Garden Books and I selected this book because it is a book I have really enjoyed and used and I think someone else would like this book, too.
This is just 12 incidences of the word book, which brings me to 27 book words.
I think I am going to give Bunny a run for her money on this one.
Alana

o

Oh Bunny, you can't end up with your own book, that I can assure you. I guarantee that the book you end up with will be a great book either way. I have had two people let me know so far and I want both books. :)

Mavis, might I add bookmarks to your list? I challenge others to add to your list, but lets make it one each.

I need to go back and make sure of who has sent there info on the book they are including as well as address. I will be back later to let you all know. In the meantime, if you know the book you want to send, let me know. We still have lots of time so no rush.

It's a very nice day here in Bowling Green so I need to get out. Not sure if I mentioned we are getting a geothermal system and to make way for a trench that needs to be dug right through my garden, I have to transplant several plants. I am worried this will be hard on them so not too happy about it. My husband had to transplant a whole row of lilacs and some rose of sharon. They were small seedlings we put in three years ago and although small, one actually had two blooms on it this year.

They are asking us to move our compost pile too which wouldn't normally be a problem but there is squash and some other types of large plant which is either pumpkin or melons. I have transplanted some tomatillos (sp) that successfully reseeded themselves from some cast off ones I tossed in last fall. The ones I actually planted in the garden never came up.

Out to the gardens. Margo

99+7=106

o

Good Morning BOOK Lovers,

A few poems on BOOKS to start your day! Afterall, a day without a BOOK of some kind can not be! Does anyone ever go a day without paging through a BOOK????

Open A Book
by Jane Baskwill

Open a book
And you will find
People and places of every kind
Open a book
And you can be
Anything that you want to be:
Open a book
And you can share
Wondrous worlds you find in there
Open a book
And I will too
You read to me
And I'll read to you.

What Is A Book?
by Lora Dunetz

A book is pages, pictures, and words;
A book is animals, people, and birds.

A book is stories of queens and kings,
Poems and songs - so many things!

Curled in a corner where I can hide,
With a book I can journey far and wide.

Though it's only paper from end to end,
A book is a very special friend.

What is a Book?
by Lora Duneta

A book is pages, pictures and words
A book is animals, people and birds
A book is stories of queens and kings
Poems and songs- so many things!
Curled in a corner where I can hide
With a book I can journey far and wide
Though it's only paper from end to end
A book is a very special friend.

Books
by Eileen Buckard Norris

Books lead folks
To other lands
Books
Bind folks
With friendship bands
Books
Tell folds of bygone days
Books
Bring folks Tomorrow's way.

Books
Author Unknown

I like books
I really do.
Books with stories
And pictures, too.

Books of birds
And things that grow.
Books of people
We should know.

Books of animals
And places, too.
I like books
I really do!

Books
Author unknown

I like books
Big books
Little books
Happy books
Sad books
Books with pictures
Books with words
I like books

Mavis, all those BOOKstores....amazing. I smile thinking back to the small mom and pop BOOKstores that I used to hit when I was in high school and college during the 70's. They do not exist around here! Sad! Borders and Barnes and Noble...great places to buy BOOKS but not the same as the small stores.

I need to BOOK my bod out to the vegetable garden and water. My first "Arkansas Traveler" tomato is talking to me....curious to try this one as I have never grown her. My "Silver Queen" corn must be 10 FT tall. Now if I could only find an article or BOOK that would tell me what is wrong with my Dragon Toungue bush beans. My limas and long beans are BOOKING their tendrils up the trellis but something keeps consuming my bush beans. They are so protected I can hardly get to them..LOL!

I started Sarah Palin's first BOOK, "Going Rogue:An American Life" yesterday. Whether one likes her or not, I find the BOOK quite honest and down to earth!

More about BOOKS later!
51 BOOKS....47 + 51 = 98 thus far

Annie

o

LOve the theme as I have been a _ _ _ _aholic for most of my life.
I'd like to join but I'm avoiding the use of that word.
I'll read anything including directions and cereal boxes!
Currently working my way through Desert Between the Mountains. It's about the settlement and exploration of the Great Basin. More history than I generally choose unless it's something like Sarum or Pillars of the Earth,
Love to read about gardens and cooking, my two great passions. (aside from the kids that is)
Sounds like great fun and I'll get the info to you soon Smitty
BB

o

Tue, Jul 26, 11 at 14:14

Hey Everybody! I've been out taking advantage of a semi-cool day to get some gardening stuff done. The Giant Swallowtail put in several appearances, but still couldn't get a pic. Drat! This butterfly is HUGE!
Also did some catching up with a friend who just got back from a week on the UP. I would love to go up there, but I know I'd never make it across that bridge!
Welcome, Beth! If I read non-fiction at all, it's usually history. Glad you could join us!
Sorry you can't join us, Jeanne, but you know you are always welcome!
Bunny-went to the paperback website-it is excellent, and I intend to join as soon as I have some books that I'm willing to part with. Most of them went at the yardsale.
Annie-Great poems! where did you find them?
Forgot to post my word count the last two times-it was a total of 28 plus 29 plus one here for a grand total of 58!
I keep forgetting to use the word!
See ya all later!
Shirley!

o

Beth, so good to see you are joining our swap. Welcome.

Shirley, I have some beautiful swallowtail pictures but not good with posting. I keep asking kids for help but they don't have the interest to help me. They want to do it for me and I want them to just tell me how. I had so many butterfly visitors last year but this year, I seem to have more bees. Either way, the pollination is good.

This spring, our store sold herb plants and a swallowtail must have laid her eggs because one of our fennel plants was full of swallowtail caterpillars so I bought the plant and brought it home. Once they ate up the plant, I put them all on other fennel plants I have throughout my garden. Now I have been rewarded with a cocoon on the house, plus the plant I bought has replenished itself. It is a bronze fennel and the others are have are the regular.

Margo

o
RE: August swap. Recycle and Read

If a student goes to a seven-story library
and checks out seven books, how many are left?

A. None. The library had only seven stories!

106+1=107

o

Tue, Jul 26, 11 at 15:31

Good one, Margo! Right up in there with Dan's chicken joke! I can never think of things like this!
I have lots of pics of the Butterflies from last year, but seeing as how Photobucket stresses me out, probably won't be posting any. I can email them, but Photobucket refuses to cooperate!
I planted fennel this year, not bronze tho. And I think it's in the wrong place-shade. Growing like crazy, but haven't seen anybody near it yet. Want to try bronze next year.
I'm wondering what's going on this year, butterfly wise-this time last year I had lots of pics of lots of butterflies-it's not happening this year. I think all that rain we had, has something to do with it. And while I have lots of different nectar plants blooming right now, the butterfly bushes are not-maybe they prefer the BB? And they are moving so fast when they come thro. Not sure what that means. Anybody have any ideas? Hints? Advice? A book I could read?!
On a more positive note-something is chewing up my common milkweed, and I think I saw a Monarch come thro today! Could have been a Viceroy.
I'll tell you all about the neat butterfly book I bought this year, in the next post!
Alana-How was your trip to the zoo?
Total - 60! Slow but steady!

Shirley!

o

Hello Book!
by N.M. Bodecker

Hello book!
What are you up to?
Keeping yourself to yourself,
shut in between your covers,
a prisoner high on a shelf.
come in book!
What is your story?
Haven't you ever been read?
Did you think
I would just pass by you
And pick me a comic instead?
No way book!
I'm your reader
I open you up.
Set you free.
Listen, I know a secret!
Will you share your secrets with me?

Look in a Book
by Ivy O. Eastwick

Look
in a book
and you will see
words
and magic
and mystery.

Look
in a book
and you will find
sense
and nonsense
of every kind.

Look
in a book
and you will know
all
the things
that can help you grow.

Books
by Eileen Buckard Norris

Books lead folks
To other lands
Books
Bind folks
With friendship bands
Books
Tell folds of bygone days
Books
Bring folks Tomorrow's way.

Good Books, Good Times
by Lee Bennett Hopkins

Good books, good times
Good stories
Good rhymes
Good beginnings
Good ends
Good people
Good friends
Good fiction
Good facts
Good adventures
Good acts
Good stories
Good rhymes
GOOD books
GOOD times

Adventures with Books
Author Unknown

Books are ships that sail the seas
To lands of snow or jungle trees
And I'm the captain bold and free
Who will decide which place we'll see
Come let us sail the magic ship
Books are trains in many lands
Crossing hills or desert sands
And I'm the engineer who guides
The train on its exciting rides. Come, let us ride the magic train
Books are zoos that make a home
For birds and beasts not free to roam
And I'm the keeper of the zoo
I choose the things to show to you
Come, let us visit in a zoo
Books are gardens, fairies, elves
Cowboys and people like ourselves
And I can find with one good look
Just what I want inside a book
Come, let us read! For reading's fun

Books To the Ceiling
by Arnold Lobel

Books to the ceiling
Books to the sky
My piles of books are a mile high
How I love them
How I need them
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them

And those are the book poems I could find here online! Wasn't that just bookishly fun? Lol, I'm still amazed at how we're all managing to book along and find ways to sneak the word book into our posts! After this is all done, perhaps we should write a book?! We could title it "The MNFers Book of Ways to Book along with a Book"!
As we all know, Borders Bookstore is going out of business. It's sad, but then, when Amazon released their e-book reader, the Kindle, the books (or bells) began to ring a death-toll for the bookstore. How do you, as a book-seller, compete with something which allows its owner to carry a ton of books (sometimes called a library) in one's pocket or pocketbook? I'll miss going to the bookstore, but I'd rather carry a ton of books in my pocket, I will admit here and now. I just wish Borders Bookstore would get busy with the discounts! I'm looking forward to buying horror books, gardening books, cookbooks, bookends, notebooks, mystery books, history books, fantasy books, and science fiction books by the bookload!

And that's it for me tonight, my book-reading, book-keeping, book-loving, book-trading friends!
Bookishly yours,
Book-toting Dan

TOTAL: 56 + 60 = 116

o

Evening all! finally booking it over here from the July swap. Love reading all the book poems, I would never have thought to go looking on line for poems about books! So yes I also love books and the August swap looks like it should be fun. I'll be back tomorrow have to book out to the barn right now and get the horses hayed for the night. Kathie

o

Hello my fellow gardeners and book lovers ! I saw the title of this swap and had to book on over here and beg a spot for me ! I confess I have been a bookworm all my life ! When I was a little girl my mom would get me a book at the store instead of a toy ! You should see my bookshelves ! They are crammed full of books ! I have books stacked everywhere ! every kind of book you can think of ... cookbooks, gardening books, craft books, paperback books, hardback books, books about the civil war, Audobon bookstravel guidebooks , mystery books, science fiction books, romance books ;-) a seed starting handbook, even audiobooks !

I even worked in a bookstore many years ago and I now work for an audiobook publishing company ! It was really hot last week so I spent some time indoors shopping online for the latest Nora Roberts book and bookends online and balancing my checkbook !

What I really wanted to do is book a Caribbean cruise but instead I booked a room at a resort near Cancun for next May where my SO's daughter is getting married ! Now I need to buy a book about Mexico and some good books to read poolside ! And I need to get an itty bitty book light so I don't keep my sweety up late at night when I want to read my book in bed !

Whew ;-)

Iris
29 !

o

Tue, Jul 26, 11 at 22:04

Welcome Kathie and Iris! Glad you could join the book swap!
Well, as I said, I have a groundhog. It has, so far, eaten my WSed Chicory, the Yarrow, and my WSed Cinnamon Basil. Not too concerned about the Chicory and the Yarrow, they will probably come back next year, but I am a little ticked about the CB. I raise it for the scent and the flowers which are lovely. There is absolutely nothing left of it. Therer are two other kinds of basil out there, but no, it had to eat the CB. I planted it in a large square planter, with other pots all around. That groundhog had to standing on two of those pots to reach the CB.
Here's hoping he doesn't go after any of my "good" plants. How do you get rid of groundhogs? Other than shooting them, which I can't do-no pistol.
Maybe I shouldn't have complained so much about the squirrels.
Have a nice night!
Shirley!

o

I second the welcome to Iris and Kathie. Welcome to our swap.

Shirley, bummer on the Cinnamon Basil. I had some come up for me from seeds this year along with lime basil and lemon basil. What wonderful scents from those. None of these have really grown very big but I am pleased they came up anyway.

Spent most of the evening transplanting several squash plants and pumpkin plants from the compost pile to make way for a trench for the geothermal system. I don't know how well they will transplant but it is at least giving them a chance.

Can anyone tell me where the heck the little goldfish I found in my pond came from? My ornamental pond has two sections. The largest section has had two larger goldfish in it for three years now. I don't put any in the smaller area due to the filter system but somehow this little guy found his way in there. I put him in the other side with two fish. My hubby and I cleaned it all out back in the beginning of June and it was not there. This thing is really weird in color too.

Hope your week is going well. Margo

o

What does the Mummy do when he goes to the library?

He gets all wrapped up in a good book.

107+1=108

o

Margo, you need a book about the birds and the bees...lol! Can you say Poppa Fish and Momma Fish? That's where your little fish came from! After reading a book about breeding bettas I bred them for awhile. When I had my first batch, the little ones were slowly disappearing, so I thought the parents were eating them. Nope! They were going for a bit of a ride through the filter system! Lucky for me, some of them made it through while I was trying to figure out what the heck was going on. I removed the filter for a few weeks until they got older, wiser, and bigger, and afterwards kept the filter out whenever I had a new batch. Sounds to me like you had some babies and didn't realize it. Sneaky little fish!

Y'know what I had to hear all the time when I was a kid? Book'em Dan-o! I hated Hawaii 5-O. Loved the theme song though. Go figure. I just wanted to throw a book at the tv.

-Dan
TOTAL: 120

o

Good morning everyone ! Its Wednesday, downhill to Friday !! a lil joke for you...
Why does an elephant use his trunk as a bookmark ?
That way he always nose where he stopped reading.

29+1=30

o

"A Mystery for Margo" sounds like a book title, eh? Maybe your little goldfish somehow made into the little pond as an egg on a piece of shared vegetation? I have several books on various kinds of fish, including books on Goldfish and Koi. I have about given up on keeping outdoor fish because the Herons eat them. Maybe what I need is a book about Heron's? Anyway, I envy you your fishies.
Book poetry. I like it.
Chicken and Book Humor:

A pair of chickens go to the library
A pair of chickens walk up to the circulation desk at a public library and say, 'Buk Buk BUK.' The librarian decides that the chickens desire three books, and gives it to them...and the chickens leave shortly thereafter.

Around midday, the two chickens return to the circulation desk quite vexed and say,' Buk Buk BuKKOOK!' The librarian decides that the chickens desire another three books and gives it to them. The chickens leave as before.

The two chickens return to the library in the early afternoon, approach the librarian, looking very annoyed and say, 'Buk Buk Buk Buk Bukkooook!' The librarian is now a little suspicious of these chickens. She gives them what they request, and decides to follow them.

She followed them out of the library, out of the town, and to a park. At this point, she hid behind a tree, not wanting to be seen. She saw the two chickens throwing the books at a frog in a pond, to which the frog was saying, "Rrredit Rrredit Rrredit..."

19/46

o

Dan, I wondered if that is how that little guy got there but figure after three years, I would have had others. I didn't have it there when we cleaned the ponds out 8 weeks ago and it seems to big to be younger than that. They would have hatched in the other pond and then made it over the the little waterfall. Oh well, it is welcome to stay.

I have to work today. I have had the last five days off so have been spoiled. I do miss my morning at Panera. I always go for coffee before I go to work. That is where I read my books since I never have time at home.

Have a good day everyone. Margo

108+1=109

o

Happy Wednesday! A few quotations mentioning "BOOKS", of course!

"A good BOOK is the precious life-blood of a master spirit, embalmed and treasured up on purpose to a life beyond life" [John Milton Areopagitica]

"All BOOKS are divisible into two classes, the BOOKS of the hour, and the BOOKS of all time" [John Ruskin Sesame and Lilies]

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral BOOK. BOOKS are well written, or badly written" [Oscar Wilde The Picture of Dorian Gray]

"Style and Structure are the essence of a BOOK; great ideas are hogwash" [Vladimir Nabokov]

"All BOOKS are either dreams or swords,"
"You can cut, or you can drug, with words" [Amy Lowell Sword Blades and Poppy Seeds]

"Some BOOKS are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested" [Francis Bacon Essays]

"The reading of all good BOOKS is like conversation with the finest men of past centuries" [Ren� Descartes Discourse on Method]

"All good BOOKS are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened" [Ernest Hemingway]

"BOOKS succeed,"
"And lives fail" [Elizabeth Barrett Browning Aurora Leigh]

"BOOKS are where things are explained to you; life is where things aren't" [Julian Barnes Flaubert's Parrot]

"Even bad BOOKS are BOOKS and therefore sacred" [G�nter Grass The Tin Drum]

This paperback is very interesting, but I find it will never replace a hardcover book - it makes a very poor doorstop.
Alfred Hitchcock (1899 - 1980)

The covers of this book are too far apart.
Ambrose Bierce (1842 - 1914), The Devil's Dictionary

You can cover a great deal of country in books.
Andrew Lang (1844 - 1912)

There is a great deal of difference between an eager man who wants to read a book and the tired man who wants a book to read.
G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)

Woe be to him that reads but one book.
George Herbert (1593 - 1633)

From the moment I picked up your book until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it.
Groucho Marx (1890 - 1977)

Wear the old coat and buy the new book.
Austin Phelps

Most new books are forgotten within a year, especially by those who borrow them.
Evan Esar (1899 - 1995)

Properly, we should read for power. Man reading should be man intensely alive. The book should be a ball of light in one's hand.
Ezra Pound (1885 - 1972)

I think it is good that books still exist, but they do make me sleepy.
Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers.
Charles W. Eliot (1834 - 1926), The Happy Life, 1896

There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It is like falling in love.
Christopher Morley (1890 - 1957)

Rather interesting reading these quotes regarding BOOKS! So personal and so passionate!

Off to fetch my checkbook, my calender book and my phone book...need to book some reservations and pay a few bills.

34 + previous 98 = 132

Have a great day!

Annie

o

Wed, Jul 27, 11 at 13:03

Hey Everyone! Wow, what a beautiful day we're having here! It's in the upper 70's, opened all the windows last night to catch the COLD breeze coming thro! Got lots of clipping, trimming and weeding-well-not a lot of weeding-done today! Have decided to quit weeding and lay cardboard down instead. Would you believe I have grass taking over in the middle bed! Never any grass there before!
Found this saying on a totebag I had to buy at Borders Bookstore, many years ago, because I bought 11 hardback books, all these books on sale, and I had parked the car about 8 blocks away!
Anyway-
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend; Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx
Great quotes, Annie!
I'll be posting a list of names along with their word count tomorrow morning-gee-wonder who will be first in line?
Enjoy the day!
Shirley!

o

Just a tad jealous of your 70's and cold night time breezes, Shirley! My thermometer says 112. And it's in the SHADE! Yikes! I actually got a sunburn on my face just walking out to the mailbox yesterday. Either I'm a weinie, or it's really warm out there. :P

o

Wow - 70's! I'd love to have that temp in our area. I'm in SW Virginia and it has been in the upper 90's and HUMID. Bunny you have us beat on the heat tho - I'd be glad to share our cooler temps with you!

I don't know a lot about butterflies except that some are beautiful! I have butterfly bushes and garden phlox that they seem to love. I was carrying a phlox out to plant and a butterfly landed on it as I carried it. I got a good close up view of that one! My DH brought the phlox and a couple of dead or dying bee balms home from Lowes for me. They were actually in pretty good shape!

I've enjoyed the quotes, poems, jokes and everyones clever use of the word book!

My most favorite book of all time is "Green Darkness" by Anya Seton. It is no longer in print so I keep the copy I have in a zip lock baggie to protect it, hopefully for the next 30 years or so!

Sometimes I feel like I inhale books, I read them so fast. I love the book that really grabs you and you can't lay it down! "Books fall open and I fall in"!

My Mom and my sisters and I all like a variety of books. We started reading Dean Koontz years ago and one of the books scared my Mom so bad she got up and nailed, yes nailed all of her windows closed! We like to never have got the windows open again lol.

I've turned chicken now and can't read scary books. Why does that happen I wonder? I used to read all of Stephen King's books and they never bothered me. Now I have one of his recent books and can't bring my self to read it, it's too graphic. Oh well, there are plenty of other books waiting on me!

Have you ever played the game Bookworm on the computer? It is lots of fun. Kind of like scrabble. It can be a challenge!

Well, time to check back with my bookie (just kidding) and see how much money I made.

62 + 13 = 75

o
RE: MNF's August swap. Recycle and Read 4

Wow - 70's! I'd love to have that temp in our area. I'm in SW Virginia and it has been in the upper 90's and HUMID. Bunny you have us beat on the heat tho - I'd be glad to share our cooler temps with you!

I don't know a lot about butterflies except that some are beautiful! I have butterfly bushes and garden phlox that they seem to love. I was carrying a phlox out to plant and a butterfly landed on it as I carried it. I got a good close up view of that one! My DH brought the phlox and a couple of dead or dying bee balms home from Lowes for me. They were actually in pretty good shape!

I've enjoyed the quotes, poems, jokes and everyones clever use of the word book!

My most favorite book of all time is "Green Darkness" by Anya Seton. It is no longer in print so I keep the copy I have in a zip lock baggie to protect it, hopefully for the next 30 years or so!

Sometimes I feel like I inhale books, I read them so fast. I love the book that really grabs you and you can't lay it down! "Books fall open and I fall in"!

My Mom and my sisters and I all like a variety of books. We started reading Dean Koontz years ago and one of the books scared my Mom so bad she got up and nailed, yes nailed all of her windows closed! We like to never have got the windows open again lol.

I've turned chicken now and can't read scary books. Why does that happen I wonder? I used to read all of Stephen King's books and they never bothered me. Now I have one of his recent books and can't bring my self to read it, it's too graphic. Oh well, there are plenty of other books waiting on me!

Have you ever played the game Bookworm on the computer? It is lots of fun. Kind of like scrabble. It can be a challenge!

Well, time to check back with my bookie (just kidding) and see how much money I made.

62 + 13 = 75

o

A while back, the BBC published a list of the top 100 books that have been published.

According to the article, the average person has only actually read six of these books.
How well do you fare in this list? The following is their list of the top 100 books of all time.

Book 1 Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
Book 2 The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien (X)
Book 3 Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
Book 4 Harry Potter series - JK Rowling (X)

Book 5 To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee (X)

Book 6 The Bible (just parts, not in entirety) (X)

Book 7 Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
Book 8 Nineteen Eighty-Four - George Orwell (X)

Book 9 His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman
Book 10 Great Expectations - Charles Dickens (X)

Book 11 Little Women - Louisa M Alcott (X)

Book 12 Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
Book 13 Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
Book 14 Complete Works of Shakespeare (some titles, not all) (X)

Book 15 Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
Book 16 The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien (X)

Book 17 Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks
Book 18 Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger (X)

Book 19 The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
Book 20 Middlemarch - George Eliot
Book 21 Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell (X)
Book 22 The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald (X)

Book 23 Bleak House - Charles Dickens (X)

Book 24 War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
Book 25 The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams (X)

Book 26 Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh
Book 27 Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Book 28 Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck (X)

Book 29 Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll (X)

Book 30 The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame (X)

Book 31 Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
Book 32 David Copperfield - Charles Dickens (X)

Book 33 Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis (X)

Book 34 Emma - Jane Austen
Book 35 Persuasion - Jane Austen
Book 36 The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - CS Lewis (X)

Book 37 The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
Book 38 Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Louis De Bernieres
Book 39 Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
Book 40 Winnie the Pooh - AA Milne (X)

Book 41 Animal Farm - George Orwell (X)

Book 42 The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown (X)

Book 43 One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Book 44 A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
Book 45 The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
Book 46 Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery (X)

Book 47 Far From The Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy
Book 48 The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
Book 49 Lord of the Flies - William Golding X (X)

Book 50 Atonement - Ian McEwan
Book 51 Life of Pi - Yann Martel
Book 52 Dune - Frank Herbert (X)

Book 53 Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons
Book 54 Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
Book 55 A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth
Book 56 The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Book 57 A Tale Of Two Cities - Charles Dickens (X)

Book 58 Brave New World - Aldous Huxley (X)

Book 59 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon
Book 60 Love In The Time Of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Book 61 Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck (X)

Book 62 Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
Book 63 The Secret History - Donna Tartt
Book 64 The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
Book 65 Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas (X)

Book 66 On The Road - Jack Kerouac
Book 67 Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy
Book 68 Bridget Jones's Diary - Helen Fielding
Book 69 Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
Book 70 Moby Dick - Herman Melville (X)

Book 71 Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens (X)

Book 72 Dracula - Bram Stoker (X)

Book 73 The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett
Book 74 Notes From A Small Island - Bill Bryson
Book 75 Ulysses - James Joyce (X)

Book 76 The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath (X)

Book 77 Swallows and Amazons - Arthur Ransome
Book 78 Germinal - Emile Zola
Book 79 Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray
Book 80 Possession - AS Byatt
Book 81 A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens (X)

Book 82 Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
Book 83 The Color Purple - Alice Walker
Book 84 The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro
Book 85 Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert (X)

Book 86 A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry
Book 87 Charlotte's Web - EB White (X)

Book 88 The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Alborn
Book 89 Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (X)

Book 90 The Faraway Tree Collection - Enid Blyton
Book 91 Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
Book 92 The Little Prince - Antoine De Saint-Exupery (X)

Book 93 The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks
Book 94 Watership Down - Richard Adams (X)

Book 95 A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
Book 96 A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute
Book 97 The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas (X)

Book 98 Hamlet - William Shakespeare (X)

Book 99 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl (X)

Book 100 Les Miserables - Victor Hugo (X)(in English AND French!)

Wow! I've read 45 of those books! I put an "X" next to each book I've read at some point in my life. Some of them I've read more than once. The Chronicles of Narnia (a fantastic book series!) are a yearly read for me, and have been since I was about 10 years old.

I wonder what the top 100 American books are? I'm going to try to find out!

TOTAL= 107 + 102 = 209

o

Wed, Jul 27, 11 at 20:58

Hey Everybody! Well, hate to have to say it but it is still cool here, raining right now. We had a high of 79 and after last week's temps in the 100s, I am really enjoying it.
Mavis, I love Green Darkness! My copy of the book is old and battered too! I have 4-5 of her other books, all good! I think my favorite book of hers is Devil Water.
We had some interesting conversations about Stephen King in the July MNF swap, I think it was the July swap. His writing scares me-Lots of books I won't read because I am a big chicken!
Bunny-you aren't a weinie, it IS really warm where you are!
Iris-great elephant joke!
Okay, lest I forget-1 from 2 posts ago, 4 from the last post, and 4 from this post-for a grand total of 69!
Have a good evening, ALL!
Shirley!

o

Wed, Jul 27, 11 at 21:07

Dan-I've read 41 of those books! Some books I just can't read-like Jane Austen, most of Dickens, and any book that looks like it weighs more than I do! Please post if you find an American list!
The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings are yearly reads for me and have been for years!
Shirley!
oh yeah, 3 more-72!!

o

A book and seed swap? I love to read books! It's one of my favorite things to do...book me, I'm in! "reading through my cookbook for a new cookie recipe and pouring everyone some iced tea"...4

o

Shirley, since I am only an hour or so south of you, send me some of that rain. We don't really need it necessarily, I just don't like to water the pots and transplants I have.

I also don't envy you having to count the total of "book" words used. It is getting to be quite a challenge.

I did get a chance to get to the library yesterday and checked out four books. I got two books about building decks, etc because my hubby wants to build either a pergola or gazebo and is hoping to get some ideas from books rather than having to buy plans. I also picked up two books about beekeeping. I have always wanted to have someone set up beekeeping back on our property but someone suggested we get a book and read about doing it ourselves. Not sure if there books are going to be of any help but thought I would try.

As for reading books, I just don't have the time anymore. Instead, I garden. I used to love reading Danielle Steels books but as she wrote more, they weren't as good. I don't like reading mystery books or scary books of any kind. Get too freaked out from these kinds of books.

I finally got out a notebook to keep track of the members joining in and as each person sends me their book information, I will put that in the notebook as well.

Well, daughter just called and needs me to write a check for the deposit on the DJ for the wedding. Have to go find my checkbook.

Night all, Margo

109+16=125

o

What did one arithmetic book say to the other?

I have a big problem.

125+1= 126

o
RE: MNF's Swap: Recycle and Read

Oh geez, forgot to welcome Linda to the swap. I have been hoping you would join us. I always enjoy your cookies and tea. Margo

o

Wed, Jul 27, 11 at 22:46

Margo! Would send it your way if I could!
Welcome, Linda! Glad you could join us-don't need a Budweiser just yet-keep one handy tho!
I just started to read The Jane Austen Book Club. Pretty good book, except, they, quite naturally, keep talking about Jane Austen and her books. Never having read her books, it is getting a little boring. And which one is the narrator? What am I missing here?
I need to get some sleep!
Shirley!

o

Margo,

I just sent you my BOOK info via GW. If you do not receive, let me know. Cute joke...LOL!

Linda, how the heck are you??? Are you making the cookies in the shape of little BOOKS???

Tata...must BOOK in to the kitchen!

Annie previous 132 + 4 =136 books

Annie

o

I think I've read about 30 of those titles, Dan! CS Lewis is one of my favorite authors, and I bought the entire wardrobe series for my kids afew years back. Also got them the Series of Unfortunate Events titles, too. All hardbacks...took about a year to get all of them through paperback swap. :) Much cheaper than buying them from the store, though! But those really got my kids into reading. Got them the LOTR series as well. They love those, too.
I have read them all, but my favorites are the cozy mysteries. I devour them in just a few hours. Authors like Joanne Fluke (she does the "cookie" mysteries) & Diane Mott Davidson (another cooking series). There are usually some really great recipes in the back of the cooking mysteries.
I also enjoy Lynn Kurland. She writes historical/time travel romances. I love her because she can really weave a fantastic story, one that doesn't sound like something from the X-files, her stories take place in Scotland (my favorite!), and all her love scenes are PG. Nothing ever goes further than kissing, which I think makes it more romantic. :)

o

I am heading to work in fifteen minutes but wanted to let Annie know I did receive the info you sent on your book. I have to tell everyone that I have received three book descriptions so far and love them all. I promise that no one will be unhappy with their book selection in the line up.

Dan, I really haven't read that many of the books you listed. Maybe I should copy that book list and get going? A bucket list of books perhaps.

Have a good day everyone. Margo

126+6= 132

o

Thu, Jul 28, 11 at 10:13

Good Morning Everyone!
Just spent the last couple of hours battling the computer-it didn't want to let me online for some reason-hate it when that happens!
Okay, first of all, this swap is far from over! The last day to sign up is August 12. SO- any lurkers/booklovers out there, please come on in and join us. As you will see, you can use the "B" word or not-your choice! Just come on in and chat and share your love of books!
Secondly-here's the "word count" as of 9:45 this morning:
Melissa - 0
Beth - 0
Linda - 4
Kathie - 5
Ellie - 17
Iris - 30
Alana - 46
Mavis - 75
Shirley - 76
Margo - 132
Annie - 136 AND-Ta Da!!
Dan - 209
We've had lots of creative and yeah, not so creative uses of the word BOOK! Keep up the good work, folks!
Please let me know if there are any mistakes!
Shirley!

o

Margo...just sent you a response to your email!

Shirley...I am not a Jane Austen BOOK reader either. Not my style!

Dan, your BBC Top 100 BOOKS...interesting. I read the BOOKS listed below pretty much in high school...required reading.

Book 1 Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
Book 3 Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
Book 5 To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Book 6 The Bible...in part
Book 7 Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
Book 10 Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
Book 11 Little Women - Louisa M Alcott
Book 14 Complete Works of Shakespeare
BOOK 15 Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
Book 21 Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell
Book 22 The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald
Book 24 War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
Book 27 Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Book 28 Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
Book 29 Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
Book 31 Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
Book 32 David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
Book 40 Winnie the Pooh - AA Milne
Book 46 Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery
Book 47 Far From The Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy
Book 54 Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
Book 57 A Tale Of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
Book 61 Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
Book 62 Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
Book 65 Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
Book 70 Moby Dick - Herman Melville
Book 71 Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
Book 73 The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett
Book 75 Ulysses - James Joyce
Book 81 A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens
Book 84 The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro
Book 85 Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
Book 87 Charlotte's Web - EB White
Book 97 The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas
Book 98 Hamlet - William Shakespeare
Book 99 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl
Book 100 Les Miserables - Victor Hugo

Favorote BOOKS from the above GWTW, Wuthering Heights, Rebecca, Les Mis. I have seen the play Les Miz several times through the years.....magnificent!!!
Shakespeare BOOKS....once was enough for me!
I pass on Potter BOOKS and Potter movies.

Thinking about types of BOOKS.....just a few!
*workbook
*sketchbook
*phonebook
*notebook
*Checkbook
*scrapbook
*photo book
*coloring book
*comic book
*booklet
*ledger book
*calender book
*phonebook
*appointment book
*book of stamps
*logbook
*spelling book
*crossword puzzle book
*dictionary...a book
*drawing books
*poetry books
*childrens books
*of course, there is Facebook via the internet
*playbook
*rulebook
*textbook
*yearbook
*ticketbook (remember Disneyland and A, B, C, D E tickets...so long ago)
*guidebook
*schoolbook

Oh my, so many BOOKS!!! LOL!

Must run!! Have a great day!

Annie Previous 136 + 75 = 211 BOOKS

o

Thu, Jul 28, 11 at 11:41

OMG!! this has absolutely nothing to do with books, but I just had to post it anyway!! I just found 5, count em, 5 Black Swallowtail catepillars on one of the dill plants!
I KNEW that was a female laying eggs!
This is so GREAT!!!
It Works!!
Should probably go check the Rue-another host plant that they like!
Shirley!
Might not make it to Wal-Mart today!
That can only be considered a bonus!
I am so excited!!

o

Maybe you can write a book about the black swallowtails.
I've read 67 books from the list, wish I had time to list each book. Some of them were not my choice; I was an English Major.
I am envious of the cool weather! We are hotter than ever here but next week shows a high of 89 for one day. I hope the forecast does not change! This summer has been one for the record book!
4/50
Alana

o

YAY on your caterpillars, Shirley! How cool!! :D

I was excited today to see new green sprouts on a daylily I received in a swap last month! YAY! Hard to believe, because when it arrived, it was just roots...no foliage at all. I wasn't worried, because daylilies are terrific survivors (I think they're right up there with cockroaches...ICK!) but I was REALLY surprised to see any growth at all right now, since I haven't watered them since I planted them (sad, I know...can we say plant neglect??) and it's been over 100 for so many days...weeks....UGH.

o

"We go in withering July
To ply the hard incessant hoe;
Panting beneath the brazen sky
We sweat and grumble, but we go."
- Ruth Pitter

Found the above in one of my emails for an advertising thing this morning and wanted to share.

I think the heat we are having will definitely be one for the record books. We have had so many 90 plus days and the humidity!!!!!

Have I mentioned the store I work at sells books? I bought a great one about herbs and I get a discount so it was a good price. The owner allows us to buy things at cost but so far I haven't had a chance to look at book orders to do so. We carry a great collection of cookbooks, childrens books, and gardening books as well. We even have cookbooks for kids. We even carry garden journals which I guess could be considered a book. I bought one of those of course. I plan to record my garden things in the fall.

My daughter has been home all summer. She tried to work at Cedar Point for the summer but when she saw the schedule had her 70 hours for one week, she booked out of there. They are exempt from overtime pay as well. Now, she is spending her days reading books. I don't put this because I want to use the word, she actually is. She has always been a reader and read the Harry Potter series beginning in the second grade. She just loves books any kind except for poetry books and even loves coloring books. Anyway, lets be honest, who doesn't love a good coloring book?

Gotta go make dinner. Going to making a shrimp pasta I found in a cookbook. Good day. Margo

132+15=147

o

here's the closest I can find to a top 100 for American Books...

On July 21, 1998, the Radcliffe Publishing Course compiled and released its own list of the century�s top 100 books, at the request of the Modern Library editorial board.

BOOK 1. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
BOOK 2. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger (X)
BOOK 3. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (X)

BOOK 4. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (X)

BOOK 5. The Color Purple by Alice Walker
BOOK 6. Ulysses by James Joyce (X)

BOOK 7. Beloved by Toni Morrison
BOOK 8. The Lord of the Flies by William Golding (X)

BOOK 9. 1984 by George Orwell (X)
BOOK 10. The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
BOOK 11. Lolita by Vladmir Nabokov
BOOK 12. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (X)

BOOK 13. Charlotte�s Web by E.B. White (X)

BOOK 14. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
BOOK 15. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
BOOK 16. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (X)

BOOK 17. Animal Farm by George Orwell (X)
BOOK 18. The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
BOOK 19. As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
BOOK 20. A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
BOOK 21. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
BOOK 22. Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne (X)

BOOK 23. Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
BOOK 24. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (X)

BOOK 25. Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison
BOOK 26. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (X)

BOOK 27. Native Son by Richard Wright
BOOK 28. One Flew Over the Cuckoo�s Nest by Ken Kesey (X)
BOOK 29. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
BOOK 30. For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway
BOOK 31. On the Road by Jack Kerouac
BOOK 32. The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
BOOK 33. The Call of the Wild by Jack London (X)

BOOK 34. To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
BOOK 35. Portrait of a Lady by Henry James (X)

BOOK 36. Go Tell it on the Mountain by James Baldwin
BOOK 37. The World According to Garp by John Irving (X)

BOOK 38. All the King�s Men by Robert Penn Warren
BOOK 39. A Room with a View by E.M. Forster
BOOK 40. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien (X)
BOOK 41. Schindler�s List by Thomas Keneally
BOOK 42. The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
BOOK 43. The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
BOOK 44. Finnegans Wake by James Joyce
BOOK 45. The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
BOOK 46. Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
BOOK 47. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum (X)

BOOK 48. Lady Chatterley�s Lover by D.H. Lawrence
BOOK 49. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
BOOK 50. The Awakening by Kate Chopin
BOOK 51. My Antonia by Willa Cather
BOOK 52. Howards End by E.M. Forster
BOOK 53. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
BOOK 54. Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger
BOOK 55. The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie
BOOK 56. Jazz by Toni Morrison
BOOK 57. Sophie�s Choice by William Styron
BOOK 58. Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner
BOOK 59. A Passage to India by E.M. Forster
BOOK 60. Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton
BOOK 61. A Good Man Is Hard to Find by Flannery O�Connor
BOOK 62. Tender Is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald
BOOK 63. Orlando by Virginia Woolf
BOOK 64. Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence
BOOK 65. Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe
BOOK 66. Cat�s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
BOOK 67. A Separate Peace by John Knowles
BOOK 68. Light in August by William Faulkner
BOOK 69. The Wings of the Dove by Henry James
BOOK 70. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
BOOK 71. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
BOOK 72. A Hitchhiker�s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (X)

BOOK 73. Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs
BOOK 74. Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh
BOOK 75. Women in Love by D.H. Lawrence
BOOK 76. Look Homeward, Angel by Thomas Wolfe
BOOK 77. In Our Time by Ernest Hemingway
BOOK 78. The Autobiography of Alice B. Tokias by Gertrude Stein
BOOK 79. The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
BOOK 80. The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer
BOOK 81. Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys
BOOK 82. White Noise by Don DeLillo
BOOK 83. O Pioneers! by Willa Cather
BOOK 84. Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller
BOOK 85. The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells (X)

BOOK 86. Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad
BOOK 87. The Bostonians by Henry James
BOOK 88. An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser
BOOK 89. Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather
BOOK 90. The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (X)

BOOK 91. This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald
BOOK 92. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
BOOK 93. The French Lieutenant�s Woman by John Fowles
BOOK 94. Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis
BOOK 95. Kim by Rudyard Kipling
BOOK 96. The Beautiful and the Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald
BOOK 97. Rabbit, Run by John Updike
BOOK 98. Where Angels Fear to Tread by E.M. Forster
BOOK 99. Main Street by Sinclair Lewis
BOOK 100. Midnight�s Children by Salman Rushdie

Hmmm, only 22 of these books, some repeats from the previous list. Tomorrow I'll try to list MY top 100 books. Should be interesting, eh?

==========================================================

Shirley, I received your package of seeds today, THANK YOU! You made my day better with that surprise! -Dan

TOTAL: 104 + 209 = 313

o

Evening! Think I'm going to be fighting for last place! We've had beautiful weather here for the last couple days I mean open windows and a nice breeze blowing in! I think its all over as of tonight suppose to get muggy again tomorrow.
Have had a strange little creature fluttering around my bee balm for the last couple of days. Finally checked it out on the computer and it's a hummingbird moth. Never seen one before really strange had to keep looking at it to really see that it wasn't a hummingbird very pretty redish brown color. Didn't see it today.
I'm jealous of all your butterfly pics we just don't seem to have that many of them here tons of dragonflies!!
Someone mentioned on this thread the other night about the borders book stores closing I shall have to run down on Tuesday theres one a couple towns down from me and my niece had given me a gift card and I just haven't used it better get booking down there and spend it before they close. I also love books so I'm sure I'll have a tough time trying to pic just one. Okay so thats 5+3 so thats 8 Kathie

o

Thu, Jul 28, 11 at 21:53

Well, none of you have to be envious of our nice weather anymore-it was 92 today and HUMID!! Couldn't believe it!
Dan-I've read 27 of those books-I don't know if I could 100 favorites-I read alot but ones that I read again and again? Maybe 50. You will like the seeds even better when they bloom-unusual for a flower mix-no oranges or reds or ratibidas.
Kathie-I saw my first hummingbird moth last year, he/she was buzzing the monarda-got some kind of okay pics-didn't even know there was such a critter-not too afraid of me either.
Margo-I've gotten back into coloring books,since Tabitha was born-she loves to color-I draw animals for her, and thank the Lord, she is too young to realize that Grandma isn't all that great an artist!
Bunny-I don't raise daylilies, so didn't realize they were so hardy. The other kinds don't take much abuse-have lost more than a few of them.
Alana-Speaking of writing books about butterflies-the lady who got me started with "small backyards/host trees in containers" butterfly gardening has written a book about them, and it really quite good. She wrote about SE Michigan butterflies (which are the same as a lot of other places), their host and nectar plants, and has pictures of each stage the butterfly goes thro, plus lots more. Great guide! The pics are almost all from her butterfly garden.
Okay, I've got to go do dishes-why do I put this off so late-and pack, going back to PA for a few days. I swear, I have LIVED out on 75 and 80 this summer!
Talk to ya all later!
Shirley!

o

Kathie, I would wait a couple weeks to get the best value on books at Borders. There was a couple talking on the radio this morning and I guess some prices on books at Borders are actually more expensive this week at close out prices than last week. I will miss their stores though as they were my favorite place for buying books, especially cook books.

Gotta go, my computer is about to die and I can't find the cord. Good night all. Smitties

o

What sort of people make the best bookkeepers?

The people who borrow your books and never return them.

Smitties

147+4 from previous post,+2= 153

o

Good book joke!
I have a few books about butterfly gardening. When I took Allie to the zoo last weekend we visited my favorite, the Butterfly House. I had every intention of taking pictures but I only got a couple of bad ones. Have you ever tried to hold on to a two year old with one hand and take a picture of another moving target with the other? My zoo pictures leave a lot to be desired. I will have to buy a zoo book! Anyway, here are a couple of photos.

Photobucket

Photobucket

We fed this camel and were going to ride him, but Allie freaked when we started to mount up.
Photobucket

3/53

o

Good Morning/Afternoon,

Books are words and words make books!

*Words starting with book

book bookable booked booker booking
bookish bookishness bookkeeper bookkeeping booklet
booklets booklover bookmaking bookrest books
bookshelf bookstand bookworm

*Words ending with book

book casebook datebook daybook guidebook
handbook hymnbook logbook notebook overbook
pocketbook rulebook schoolbook scrapbook sketchbook
songbook storybook textbook workbook yearbook

What is the Dutch word for book? boek
What is the French word for book? livre, ryserver
What is the German word for book? Buch, heft
What is the Italian word for book? libro, prenutare, registare, riservare, tomo, volume
What is the Portuguese word for book? livro
What is the Spanish word for book? el libro, libro, pedir,

And idioms/expressions using the word BOOK and/or BOOKS!

a coffee table book
an open book
be a closed book
be an open book
be in good books
bell, book, and candle things that are miraculous or that signal that
book on
book out
book through
book up
bring to book
by the book
close the books on
coffee-table book
cook the accounts
cook the books
crack a book
cuddle up with a book
every trick in the book
go by the book
Good Book
have name inscribed in the book of life
have nose in a book
hit the books
in book
in my book
make book on
Not in my book
not judge a book by its cover
off the books
on the books
one for the books
open book
read like a book
take a leaf out of book
That's one for the books
the oldest trick in the book
throw the book at
use every trick in the book
wrote the book on
You can't judge a book by its cover...a favorite of mine!!

Out of time...I must get going. Happy Friday to all!

Annie previous 211 + 90 = 301 BOOKS

o

wow. I think I will be last in this swap, but boy I have a bunch of books that need good homes. Can we put up more than one book in the swap? I have some books on composting, etc. Could really use a book on canning.

Anyway sign me up!
Grace = 4 :)

o

THUNDERCATS will be on the cartoon network at 8EST TONIGHT!

THUNDERCATS, HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

o

Welcome Grace. I am glad you joined our book swap. There won't be anyone disappointed in being one of the last choices since so far, the books offered are pretty good. I want them all. LOL

As for more than one book, we might want to stick to one since that is what the swap is for originally and I don't want others to feel the rules have changed. It is a nice thought though. Is there any other place here on GW involving book trades. Maybe you could arrange for a book swap if there is. Maybe someone here will have a book on canning. I am going to a great resale shop tomorrow and the first place I go to is the book section. I'll check it out for you.

The list of members joining this swap is fantastic. I didn't expect such a response so quickly. Thanks everyone. Those of you lurking need to stop thinking you might join and go for it.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Margo

153+7=160

o

Margo, thank you for sticking to just one book.

Grace, if you can't find a book swap here on GW, you could start one. That's kind of how Linda and I started the Seeds-n-Stitches group. A bunch of us got to talking about our quilting/sewing, so we started ourselves a swap group. Maybe you could call your group something like Books and Beans...lol! As long as you keep the gardening theme within your book group, the powers-that-be shouldn't have any problem with a book-swapping group here in the round robin forum. I'd help with it, but I'm feeling a bit stretched out at the moment.

I'm done for the night. Thundercats was great, and so was Haven. I'll try to list my favorite books later this weekend. Right now I'm slapping a bookend on my day and putting this tired book back on the bookshelf for a few hours.

And thus we bring my mentioning of the word "book" to a grand total of 323.

o

Wow! Some of you could write a book about mentioning the word book! I'm just not as bookish.
I love the idea of a book swap group and would doubtless participate-I have plenty of books. You could have a different theme each month. September could be harvest month and you could send a canning or preserving book, or a book about making fall decorations, or saving seeds, and include seeds from whatever you harvested in your garden. October could be scary books (Halloween) and to keep the garden theme going you could ask for a seed/plant that relates. Example, if you send a book about vampires, include some blood red poppies, or Dayliy Dracula, or... Every month would be an adventure.
Time to go read a little on my book before I get started. Tomorrow I am going to see Cowboys and Aliens. Has anyone read the book, or is there a book?
12/65
Have a good weekend,
Alana

o

Hello Book buddies!
Shirley - I am so pleased that you have read the book Green Darkness! I didn't think anyone would have heard. I have only read a dozen or so of the books Dan listed. I have read a lot of Danielle Steels books, mostly the older ones. I also read all of Mary Higgins Clark books and Sidney Sheldon books. I read Janet Evanovich and her books keeps me in stitches. They have such funny parts. Patricia Cornwell's books captured my attention for years, especially the Scarpetta books. Lately I have not read any her books. I love John Grisham books. That just a few of my favorite authors who write books I like. Books, books, books - I never thought I would read so much about books!

I don't have much to say about my gardens - just that they are dry and over baked. The temps have been reaching the high 90's to low 100's with high humidity. Some of the plants love the weather but I am not heat tolerant. It hardly cools down at night.

On the brighter side - I had my 3 grandchildren over for the day on Thursday and we had a great time.

Happy booking!

75+17=92

Mavis

o

Good morning all you bookies,
I haven't had a chance all week to turn my computer on to see what is happening. From reading the posts there is a lot of "books" being said. I did pull a few books off the shelf the other day but haven't even opened them as yet and may not have time this weekend either. I have so much running to do including going to Big R to get chicken feed, then the Costco for cleaning supplies and take to the building I clean after I get done with my day job. Got to be back home since I have a guy coming to move a huge pile of rock/dirt for fill for the driveway since every spring it is under water. I get tired of wading through the water to get to the car each morning. Also need to clean the chicken house...should have taught those chickens how to clean their own chicken house when they were young...oh well. Well got to get started or the day will be gone. Have a great day everyone looking for just the right book.

Ellie

o

Mavis,

I just sent you an email via GW RE the Birthday Round Robin.

And thanks for the tip on "Bookworm"...I need to check that out!

Happy Saturday!

Annie previous 301 + 2 = 303 "Books"

o

Thanks Annie! I got your e-mail and sent you one!

Mavis

o

Did someone post something about wanting brocolli seeds? I could've sworn I saw something...but I can't find it now. :o: I just mention it because I've got a package that I bought a month or so ago, but can't use this year...so thought I'd share it.
Maybe I'm just seeing things again. Really should remember to sleep more often. LoL!! :D

o

Melissa, you're not losing it. You're thinking of the Seeds-n-Stitches swap.

Oh, by the way.......TRIPLETS. (I couldn't resist!)

===========================================================

Ever be listening to music, and get stuck on one song so hard that you've got to listen to it over and over and over? That's where I am right now. I've been listening to some 30 Seconds to Mars tonight, and they do a cover of Kanye West's "Stronger". Jared Leto's vocals are downright haunting, and the music is the perfect juxtoposition to the words. It's going way beyond a connection, more like forming a web in which I'm currently caught, the music sipping at my soul. Here are the words...

Stronger by 30 Seconds to Mars

[Chorus:]
N- n- now th- that don't kill me
Can only make me stronger
I need you to hurry up now
'cause I can't wait much longer
I know I got to be right now
'cause I can't get much wronger
Man I've been waitin' all night now
That's how long I've been on you

I need you right now
I need you right now

Let's get lost tonight
You could be my black Kate Moss tonight
Play secretary, I'm a boss tonight
And you don't give a d**n what they all say right?
Awesome, the Christian and Christian Dior
And they don't make 'em like this anymore
I ask 'cause I'm not sure
Anybody out there real anymore?
Bow in the presence of greatness
'cause right now thou has forsaken us
You should be honored by my lateness
That I would even show up to this fakeness
So go ahead go nuts go ape b****
Especially in my pastel on my apeness
Act like you can't tell who made this
New gospel homey, take six, and take this, haters

[Chorus]

I need you right now
I need you right now

I don't know if you got a man or not,
If you made plans or not
God put me in the plans or not
I'm trippin' this drink got me sayin' a lot
But I know that God put you in front of me
So how the hell could you front on me?
There's a thousand you's, there's only one of me
I'm trippin', I'm caught up in the moment right?
This is Louis Vuitton Don night
So we gonna do everything that Jared like
Heard they'd do anything for a Klondike
Well I'd do anything for a blonde-dike
And we'll do anything for the limelight
And we'll do anything when the time's right
Baby, you're makin' it (harder, better, faster, stronger)

[Chorus]

I need you right now [x4]

Don't act like I never told you [x8]

o

I was supposed to go with my daughter to dog sit for my son and dil. My dil decided not to go to the event so we went to visit her instead. We went straight to the resale shop and I headed straight for the books. Found some cookbooks and a gardening book. I think this garden book is the one I will put in the swap although I will hate to part with it. I can't remember the exact title of the book cause I left it in the car but it is something about answering common garden problem questions. Vague but I will get the exact book title and let you know tomorrow. I have picked up so many great books at this place and no book is ever more than a few dollars.

Now we are watching my daughter play WII and she is doing a game with Micheal Jackson songs. My turn is coming up. Oh goody. I'll be hurting tomorrow.

Smitties

160+8=168

o

My sister and I have been trading plants. She gave me a new coral bells that I don't have, the foilage is beautiful! I loaded her up with cone flowers, bee balm, glads and garden phlox. I tried to give her a hosta or two and would you believe she doesn't like them? I've met very few plants I don't like!

I've been trying to come up with unique uses for the "b" word, yes, that popular 4 letter word....book! So far I can only repeat how I love to read books. I think the earliest books I can remember checking out of the library were Curious George and all of the Black Stallion books. How I loved those books! I still love the memories of them and all of the adventures of the boy and the black stallion. Anyone remember his name?

I've always loved cookbooks and my favorites are the books published by local organizations, community cookbooks and the books put together by local churches. I guess what is in my books would be very different that the cookbook of someone up north? Or would it? I bought a cookbook from Dollywood a few years ago and it had recipes that were more country than mine lol! I'm getting hungry now! Maybe a local cookbook will be my choice of recycled books! My favorite cookbook tho is one I bought called "I'm writing my own cookbook" that had blank pages. I wrote a lot of the recipes by hand but I also taped printed ones in and ones that I had on recipe cards because I can only write so much before my hand falls off. Then it has recipes from my Mom and it is nice to run across her handwriting now and again. This book still has blank pages and many, many recipes stuck between the pages. It is my work in progress.

I've been such a wordy bird! Now that you know more than you ever wanted to know about my cookbook, I'll close for now!

Mavis

92+18=110

o

Mavis, the Black Stallion series was one of my favorites growing up! Did you ever read the books about Flame, the Island Stallion? They're by the same author, Walter Farley. Who's name were you wanting, the Black's?

o

Good Afternoon Bookworms,

Mavis, I love that..."I'm Writing My Own Cookbook"....a very clever and perfect title for blank pages to write in recipes, tape in recipe cards or printed recipes and favorites.

Today, I am headed out of town for 6 days to see my Dad. Hopefully, the good old wireless internet is working. I was planning on watering all morning as I can not count on my husband to do it while I am gone. I was pleasantly surprised at 6am this morning, as I was talking to my tomatoes, telling them to be happy and be good while I was gone and then..............it started pouring rain and pouring and pouring some more. That is quite unusual in our part of the world. And now it is pouring again!!! How lovely! It is doing all the watering for me!!!

Oh my, I better book in to the shower and book my Bohemian bod out of here!

Talk to you later....hopefully!!

Annie previous 303 + 5 = 308 Books

o

What book, what book, what book????? I just can't decide cause I love my books. I set out to buy a new one for this book swap but love it too. I will go ahead and offer it up.

My book is titled

Gardener's Questions Answered
Essential tips for better and successful gardening

Why do tomatoes split as they ripen? When should annuals be sown? How should Clematis be pruned? Written by a gardening expert, this book offers essential and straightforward advice for successful gardening, in simple question and answer format.

My book is 80 pages and is approximately 7 1/2 x 10. Hardback book and although used, is in excellent shape and I even had to take the original price tag off the back.

I hope someone will be interested in my book.

Margo

168+10=178

o

Hello,
Thank you so much for hosting the swap. I did not know I was suppose to host one.
Since the tornadoes on April - 27th I have had no house to host a swap plus now I have had
double pnemonia since July 4th and I still have it.
Thank you both for hosting it. It sounds like a great book swap. I would like to join. The only building not touched by the tornadoes was mom's craft shop and she had a couple of books in there. I can not believe it was not touched by the storms. So count me in and I will not be late this time even if it kills me. LOL
Faye!

o

Faye, Bless Your Heart......
You are a real trooper!
my hat's off to 'ya.
BB

o

Mon, Aug 1, 11 at 11:37

Hi Everyone! I've been out of circulation for a few days-went back to PA for my 45th class reunion over the weekend. It turned out to be a good time-food was good-it was casual, a really good thing! Two old friends from high school were there for the first time, we had a great time catching up on 45 years! AND-snagged two plants from my SIL's gardens and got some really pretty butterfly pics! Good weekend!
Good to see everyone still chatting and using the "B" word! I've got to go finish laundry, do some work outside and deal with Vinnie and Willie's "oh, I am such a neglected kitty" attitudes.
Talk to ya all later!
Shirley!

o
RE: MNF's August swap. Recycle and Read7

Dan, I'm glad you remember the books too! Yes, I read about all of them including Flame! I know I read them over and over, it's just been many years ago! Makes me want to check them out again! I was trying to remember the name of the guy that actually got to ride the Black bareback and was in most if not all of the books. He rode him in the races too, I think.

Annie, I do love my cookbook. It was a clever idea for someone to make them like that! I had given one to my Mom too and I have it now. We have the same recipes lol.

110+3=113

o
RE: MNF's August swap. Recycle and Read8

Well Dan, I popped into Amazon and read a page from one of the books, the name I was looking for was Alec!

o

Anyone wishing to join this book swap has til the 12th to sign up. I hope everyone who is signed up or plans to sign up will have their book title and a bit of a description to me by the twelfth so the books can all be listed for the choosing stage. It would be nice if some of you could get them to me earlier. At the current time, the following have already sent their book and address information.

Poisondartfrog
Dan_the_mailman
Canyonwind

I think some may have posted directly on here but not sure. I need to go back through the post. If this is the case, if whoever has done this could email me their book info directly, that would be appreciated. Please be sure to include mailing info as well.

Thanks Margo

178+5=183

o

Mon, Aug 1, 11 at 22:40

Hi Everyone! Had a long lazy day recuperating from the weekend!
Grace-Welcome! Good to see ya over here for the August MNF Used Book Swap! The plants you sent me in the July swap are all doing great!
Hi Faye-Margo and I are glad to do the swap-this is my first time hosting and I'm glad she is with me on this. These MNF swaps are a lot of fun. And speaking of the MNF swaps, did Dan get in touch with you about July's swap? I know he was trying to-maybe you could shoot an email out to him and see what's up, if you haven't already.
Mavis and Dan-my daughter read the Black Stallion books when she was much younger, collected all of them. After reading your posts, I had to email her to find out the name of that kid! She knew without even thinking about it!
I have come up with a list of my 50 favorite books-will post it soon-I knew there wouldn't be 100-I'm getting picky in my old age!
Nite All!
Shirley!

o

Margo~ I sent an email when I signed up. I guess it didn't get there? Hmm. Could you email me, so I can reply? My email is my GW name @hotmail.com

o

Nice to see Faye back on the books! I have not had time to post for a day or so. I'm busy doing my bookkeeping.
I am just stopping by tokeep my name in the book of participants.
3/68

o

Well, will be heading off soon to go visit my son in South Carolina. Rather than taking books to read on the way, I am taking all the magazines I have not had the time to read. I hope I can get a good chunk read.

Did I tell you guys we are getting a geothermal system? They have been here for the last two days and they are ripping up long trenches of lawn. We had to transplant several bushes. I have left instructions with family that are staying here on what to water. I had to transplant several flowers and they aren't doing so hot. They needed to trench to the house so went right through a garden. :(

Bunny, sent you my address so you can send me your book info.

Shirley will be posting a contest soon and the winner will receive a used garden book. Please check back to see what the game will be.

smitties

183+3=186

o
RE: MNF's August swap. Recycle and Read8

Shirley I'm glad your daughter enjoyed those books too! It was a lovely walk down memory lane to talk about them after all of these years! I look forward to enjoying them with my grandchildren.

My granddaugher is 6 years old and loves to play games. I have an old game that I have been playing since I was in grade school. It is called Aggravation. Has anyone else played it? Ciara and I slip down to the basement to play a couple of games when she comes over. Her brothers are too young to have dice and marbles to play with so we leave them with my husband while we play. She is pretty smart and catches on really fast to the game. I see lots of fun games of aggravation in my future :D.

My Mom had a huge collection of books. She went yard to yard sales and bargain sales and bought all of the books she could get her hands on. It was like going to the library to go to her house to pick out a book. All of the books my sisters and I bought ended up in her library. When she passed we chose the books we wanted to keep and sent the rest to the goodwill box. Share the books!

I have another set of books I like to read every 8 or 10 years, they are by Mary Stewart and are about Merlin the Magician. The Hollow Hills and The Crystal Cave. There is one more but I can't think of the the other book right now. Does anyone know the trilogy I'm talking about?

Oh, I need to go back and count my books!

120+10=130

o

Margo, those geothermal systems are cool, and they're great at keeping the house the right temp! I used to have a buddy who designed them. I'd never heard of them, but he taught me about how they work and I found it quite interesting. It'll all be worth it!

Mavis, I know which books you're talking about. And you know what? Mary Stewart wrote 5 of those books, which I didn't know about until I just googled the trilogy. Here's the list I found...
Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy
1.The Crystal Cave (1970)
2.The Hollow Hills (1973)
3.The Last Enchantment (1979)
4.The Wicked Day (1983)
5.The Prince and the Pilgrim (1995)
I've started reading The Crystal Cave a couple of times, but have never made it all the way through. Might be time to try again, eh?

If you'd like to try out another spin on the Arthurian tale, Jack Whyte wrote a series of books (starting with The Skystone) beginning with the Roman occupation of England and Arthur's forefathers. I'll warn you though, once you start reading those books you won't be able to quit until the end!

Okay, that's enough for me tonight. Time for a light snack and my kindle. G'night everyone!

Dan

323 + 1 + 4 = 328

o

Tue, Aug 2, 11 at 21:49

Hey Everyone! Another long, lazy day here, also hot inside and out. I got my electric bill-Lord have mercy! No more air conditioner unless it gets to 100. Good thing I have fans. Amd it's raining right now-hope that cools things down.
Mavis! I read the Merlin Trilogy at least twice a year! The Crystal Cave is on my list of all time favorites. I have The Wicked Day, but didn't know about the Prince and the Pilgrim-Thanks Dan! I have all the rest of her books too. I like Mary Higgins Clark and John Grisham too.
I owe Bunny an apology-I put her down for 0 in the word count and she actually had 6-sorry, Bunny!
Alana-been meaning to tell ya-that is a Giant Swallowtail in your pic! And Allie looks sweet as always. Is she walking thro the water? Tabs would do that!
Hi to Beth, Ellie, Annie, Iris, Grace, Kathie, Linda and Faye! And anyone that I forgot!
I'll be posting a game on Thursday, along with the word count. Be watching for it!
Later!
Shirley!

o

Thanks Shirley. Yes, the Zoo had misting stations about every 30 feet to try to keep people and animals cool in the terrific heat and Allie lingered in all of them. Okay. I did too...another reason I don't have good pictures. I kept trying to keep my phone and camera dry.
No books for me today. I won't have time for a book. That's okay. I may have a few more books than bunny, but I am seriously behind the pack of bookers, alas.
Have a great day,
Alana
4/72

o

Hi everyone,
Sorry I have been away from the computer for so long, but I have had to do double duty of weeding, etc at home and getting all my unfinished projects done at work. I will be out of commision for the next 10 days or so. I am going in for eye surgery this morning for a cancerous growth and won't be able to do anything especially bending over etc. I guess it's a good thing the garden isn't doing anything yet. The berries are winding down and I will let the birds have them. I haven't picked out a book yet and I guess I should because I won't be able to wear glasses for a few days either (can't see). Faye, sorry to hear that it is taking so long to get rid of the pnemonia. People don't realize just how bad it is. I have lost several relatives plus my Mom to pnemonia. It's scary.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful summer and not too hot where you are at. We are finally getting some eighty degree weather. Well got a few things to do before I leave so everyone have a wonderful day.

Ellie

o

Wed, Aug 3, 11 at 10:17

Good Morning All!
Ellie-Please take care of yourself and don't worry about the swap-lots of time left-sending prayers and good thoughts your way! When possible, let us know how you are.
Okay, a question for you all:
Have you ever read a book that just made you cry?
For me, they are:
Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx,
Remembering Blue by Connie May Fowler, and
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy.
All three were about the loss of a loved one, but more importantly, how they dealt with that loved one while they were alive. Very sad-cried for a week over Brokeback Mountain.
It's a rainy day here, gotta walk over and pick up my book for the swap later. Yeah, I'll probably come home with a few other books too!
Wish I could remember to count my book words!
Later!
Shirley!

o

I love Kristin Hannah. She's one of my favorite authors, along with Nicolas Sparks. I have to say the novels are MUCH better than the movies! I think my favorite Nicolas Sparks novel was "The Notebook". (ack, I used that B word! LoL!) There was so much more depth to the novel than the movie.

We are having yet another scorcher here. Keep breaking records right & left. It was 82 when I got up at 7:30 this morning. Supposed to climb to 108 today. We'll see. That was the temp yesterday, but The bank thermometer said 114, so all I know is...I AM SO THANKFUL TO HAVE AC!! And I'm praying it holds out, with 7 little ones & one more on the way...it's been rough trying to get out anywhere. Grocery shopping is purely awful. We don't have AC in vehicles, so it's a matter of getting up before sunrise & getting it done in record time. *sigh* I'll be thankful for fall!
And I'm looking forward to that "cool" front coming in this weekend, where the highs will ONLY get to 101. Yay! :o:

o

I can't say that a book has ever made me cry, but when I finished reading the Amityville Horror I was spending the night at my oldest sister's house, and I made her come sit with me until I went to sleep. I love reading scary books, but that one and the Shining spooked me to pieces!
I'm not sure when I'll get the time to list my favorite 100 Books, but here's a list of books I like to read over and over...

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
The Stand by Stephen King
It by Stephen King
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King
The Narnian Chronicles by C.S. Lewis
The Camulod Chronicles by Jack Whyte
The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
The Shannara Series by Terry Brooks
The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer
The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury
The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
The Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card

And of course, whenever James Patterson comes out with another Alex Cross book, that's a gottaread too...lol!
I'm currently reading my way through the Earth's Children series by Jean Auel which began with Clan of the Cave Bear. I've read the books multiple times, but now that the final book is out, I'm re-reading them all again.

The book genres which I prefer are fantasy, horror, mystery, and historical fiction. When I moved into my current house, I filled my father's pick-up twice with just boxes of books. It's funny to think of now, but I could've insulated my house with bookshelves, and kept my heating bill down to almost nothing...lol! I've culled my library quite a lot though, taking I don't know how many carloads of books to the local library. I'm down to one 3'x6' bookshelf now, which makes a lot more room in my living room for other furniture! And of course, the number of books I have stored on my kindle is growing almost daily. Thankfully, I'm signed up for amazon's daily list of free books!

So what are everyone else's favorite books? Post your lists, and who knows, maybe someone else will want to read them too!

Take care!
Dan

328 + 15 = 343

o

Hi Everyone!
I'm excited about hearing my favorite books being talked about! Shirley, I'm glad I'm not the only one entranced with the Merlin books! The third one I was trying to remember was the Last Enchantment. I do remember reading the Wicked Day but not the Prince and the Pilgram. I'm heading to the library soon! Dan I'll check into the Jack Whyte books - sounds good. I know what you mean about The Shining - one of the eeriest books I ever read! I took it to the beach with me when I was 18 and stayed up all night reading it and I was so wonderfully spooked! The movie wasn't as good but Jack Nicholas really played the part - he looks rather insane on his best day IMOHO lol. I do read about all of the James Patterson books too - my faves are the Womens Murder Club series. Alex Cross books are good too. I like Nicholas Sparks too, some of his stuff I've only seen in the movie version tho. Message in a Bottle is a good one to cry to! Dan, have you ever read a book that made you laugh so hard you cried? Janet Evanovich's books do that to me. She is sooo funny in some parts. I'm almost afraid to put this in writing but I have never read any of the Harry Potter books :0 I tried to watch one of the movies and just didn't get into it. Maybe I should start with the books - what do you think?

o
RE: MNF's August swap. Recycle and Read9

For my book count,

13+10=140 :-)

Mavis

o

Wed, Aug 3, 11 at 21:38

Hey, hope everyone had a good day!
I'm not really up to typing 50 book titles, so I'll just give you my top ten of all time:
Grapes of Wrath-Steinbeck
Terms of Endearment-Larry McMurtry
Plainsong-Kent Haruf
The Hobbit-Tolkien
The Color Purple-Alice Walker
The Education of Little Tree-Forest Carter-yes, I've read all the negative stuff about this book, but how can you fault a book that says: "You can't lie without making trouble for yourself"?
Remembering Blue-Connie May Fowler
Brokeback Mountain-Annie Proulx
The God of Small Things-Arundhati Roy, and
The Milagro Beanfield War by John Nichols, which is the one that makes me laugh everytime I read it, Mavis!
Series that I like are written by
Donna Leon-the Commissario Brunetti series,
Jennifer Chiaverini, the Elm Creek Quilters, and
Laurie R. King, the Sherlock Holmes/Mary Russel series.
Also the Little House on the Prairie books.
Also love anything by Ed McBain, Tony Hillerman, James Herriot, Sue Grafton, John Grisham, and Dick Francis.
I like the old "romance" writers, like, Mary Stewart, Dorothy Eden, Phyliss Whitney and Norah Lofts. Also a lot of older writers. And I collect Pulitzer Prize winning novels-some of them makes you wonder what the committee was thinking!
That pretty much covers it, oh, tried to read the Harry Potter books, couldn't, but I loved the movies, I think.
I want to try the Jack Whyte books too!
Hey, have a great night!
Shirley!

o

Faye, sooooo good to see you back!

Thanks everyone for all the warm welcomes. Dan, your Thundercats devotion is awesome.

Shirley, glad to hear that the plants are happy in their new home. I'm sure they love you dearly. :)

Annie, wish I had chickens to train to clean their own cages. 'sigh'

I'm happy to enter only one book. Just have to figure out which one. As for starting a new swap, I think I'll wait a bit for that. I just started the Birthday Club Round Robin & boy there's a lot to organizing. Still I'm glad we're getting it off the ground.

Maybe I'll try to come in last for this swap. I like some mystery in life anyway.
Grace
4 +1=5

o

Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 8:08

Good Morning! Here's where you all stand in the B-word race!
Beth - 0
Faye - 2
Linda - 4
Grace - 5
Bunny - 7
Kathie - 8
Iris - 30
Ellie - 31
Alana - 72
Shirley - 83
Mavis - 140
Margo - 186
Annie - 308
and in first place once again-
Dan - 343
Well, we have clear winners so far in first and last place! The last day to sign up is the 12th, so you still have time to jump up into first place! Please remember to email the title of your book, info and address to Margo before the 12th.
I'll be right back with the game, need to get more coffee in my system!
Shirley!

o
game time!!

Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 8:49

Time for some fun and games!
This game is very simple: All you have to do is guess how many books are on my large bookcase! Easy, right?! We'll announce the winner on the 10th. Margo will be sending the winner a book, and I'll be sending a pack of seeds to the person who can tell me how many "pictures, knicknacs, old greeting cards, all that type of stuff" I have to move to get to these books!
The bookcase is 3 1/2" by 7' and has 6 shelves, if that's any help!
Let the Game begin!
Shirley!

o

Look at those book numbers! I am shocked to find myself in the middle of the pack. I thought I made less book than almost anyone.
Yesterday I harvested some seeds that will be going with my book when we get around to the sending portion of the swap. It may rain today and I don't have anything scheduled until late afternoon, so I think I will read a little of the book "And the Devil Will Drag You Under" that I started yesterday while I was waiting on someone. I enjoy older science fiction books; sometimes the extrapolations are current reality.
Have a good day,
Alana
5/77

o

Shirley~ I'll guess 201. That's just a few more than I have on my shelf, mine is about the same size, but only a 5 shelf.

o

Uh, I'll guess 235 books, 17 obstacles in the way of the books. Thanks for the opportunity to say books some more.
Alana
3/80

o

Sooo, are you trying to tell me I talk a lot? Hmmm??? Lol, well, if you didn't know it by now, all I can say is, where the heck have you been??? I'm just glad you two came up with another way to keep everybody talking! It used to be that the mnf swaps always had to have extra threads because of all the great conversation, and I think that's why all of us "old-timers" miss it so much. You could hardly get a word in, and I don't know how many times there would be posts within minutes or seconds of one another! (and don't think for a minute I've forgotten about being thrown in the van and dumped off in my own padded room...ahem!!!)

As for your shelves Shirley, I'm going to guess 203 books, and 15 objects in the way.
Hugs to All!
-Dan (344)

o

Fri, Aug 5, 11 at 8:03

Good Morning All! We're having another beautiful, cool day here in SE MI. What are everybody's plans for the day? I've got to book on out to Wal-Mart at some point, also have to go pick up my book for the swap, and book on down to the post office. Sometimes it seems like it takes a lot to get me out of the house. Lately, I've been putting it off until it's absolutely ridiculous!
The groundhog has settled in-he/she has dug a HUGE hole right behind my shed. Need to call Animal Control. So far, it hasn't taken out anymore of my plants.
Hey, better go get busy on the day!
Later!
Shirley!

o

Good Morning book maniacs,

I see the "book" games have begun! My guesses....

****Books on the shelf......328

****Items and objects in the way of the books..... 53

Must run!! Happy Friday!

Annie previous 308 + 5 = 313 "books"

o

Sat, Aug 6, 11 at 9:50

Happy Saturday! Looks like it's going to be another beautiful day here! I hope everybody else is having nice weather and getting out there to enjoy it!
Got my book for the swap yesterday. It's in really good condition for as old as it is-was very pleased. While I was at the bookstore, I decided to try some new authors, and picked up 3 used books! Have any of you ever read: "A Virtuous Woman' by Kaye Gibbons; "The Finishing School" by Gail Godwin; and, "Prairie Nocturne" by Ivan Doig? I've never heard of any of these people, but I like to try new books, and if I don't like them they can go out in the small yard sale I'm having next weekend!
I have some gardening to do today, better get out there before it warms up too much, talk to ya all later!
Shirley!

o
RE: MNF's August swap. Recycle and Read9

We might get some rain!! Yay! I feel for the folks tho who are getting too much of the good thing. Flash flooding is serious business. I'm hoping for a good soaking tho - 2-3 days long would work for me! The temp was in the low 80's yesterday and is supposed to be in the mid 80's today. That's a nice relief from the last week or two of high's closer to 100. Bunny - you do have high temps don't you?

Shirley sounds like you bought some interesting books. Hope they are good! I currently have 3 different books I am reading at the same time. Unusual for me but none of the books really grip my attention. I guess there is so much other stuff going on. I loaded my car with books to share with siblings today. We are having a big family picnic (maybe in the rain) and it will be great to see everyone. My sibs read the same books I do. Hopefully they will bring a new book or two for me!

Shirley, I'm guessing 216 books and 12 items you need to move!

140+7=147

o

We were supposed to have rain today, but so far it has been clear and sunny.
Books are flying off the shelves at the local stores. Notebooks, Theme books, text books. Backpacks to carry books are selling well too. School books get heavy, as I recall. School started back here last Wednesday for one of the local school systems, next week for the City system and the Catholic School. Back to the books! I am not very creative, lol.
Alana
7/87

o

Hello everyone ! Rain is on the way , my garden needs it !Loving all the book stuff on here ... I have a BORDERS gift card I need to use before they go out of business ... so sad ... and getting lots of ideas here . My book shelves are bursting at the seams but my motto is ..." you can never have enough books " every year our FRIENDS OF THE LIBRARY puts on a HUGE book sale here, great books at cheap cheap prices ... my SO always says..." Iris, do you need more books ? " I answer "its not about need !!! " he he !

Books on the shelf......125

Items and objects in the way of the books..... 24

30 + 8 = 38

o

Our temp was 110 today, with humidity factored in, it feels like 117. UGH. They were actually comparing it to Death Valley on the news a few days ago...said we reached the same temps (we both had 118)! We've been in the 100's for the past few weeks, mostly bouncing between 105-110. BUT...There is supposed to be a "cool" front coming in next week, bringing us down to the 90's. Yay! Is that sad when 90 feels cool? :) We are hoping the front brings some much needed rain, but I think we'd all just be happy to be able to go outside without cooking. It's so hard to breathe outside right now!
And I know I'll be glad when I can finally talk with the neighbors about something other than "how did you survive the oven today?" Sheesh!

o

Sat, Aug 6, 11 at 21:53

Hi All!
Bunny-Death Valley?-Man, that's hot. Hope you get some relief soon. It's got to be miserable, especially when expecting. I had two of the kids in July, nowhere near 100 as I remember it, and it was still pretty bad. BTW-Congratulations!
Iris-Thank you for the perfect answer for when the next person says to me "Do you need more books?" Our library system here in Monroe always has a huge booksale once a year-Love it!
Alana-that WAS a very creative use of the book word-made sense too.
Okay, game update: one person has come close to the number of books. No one close on all that stuff on the shelves! Did I tell ya you don't have to count the 2 cameras?
Sorry!
We got rain today, and I spent the day dodging the raindrops while I was laying cardboard on some of my flower beds. I'm having a grass invasion in one of them, but mainly, I am SO tired of weeding. It looks like crap, but that's okay for now, will cover with mulch in the fall.
Off to take a shower and get the rest of the mud off!
Shirley!

o

Hello and Good Evening Everyone!
We had a little bit of rain today, very refreshing! I'm hoping we get some thunder-boomers tomorrow like they're predicting. I love t-storms! Especially if they happen during the day because then I can go out walking in them and play in the mud and itty-bitty streams...lol! Yep, almost 46 and still just a kid at heart!
After work today I went to see the Viet Nam Wall Moving Memorial with a buddy of mine. It's located this week about an hour from where we live. I don't know of anyone close to me who is actually on the Wall, but it was quite the experience anyway. I don't care who you are, but when you see big burly bikers crying because they survived and their friends didn't, it'll knock you down emotionally. I saw everything left at the Wall from flowers to letters to unopened cans of beer to rifles and helmets. If the Moving Memorial ever comes close to you, go. Along with the wall of names of everyone who died in Viet Nam, they have a timeline of the war, and they've started a wall listing everyone who has died in the current wars. Families, soldiers, and friends are there, trying to understand what happened and moving one more step trying to put their lives back together. It was truly quite the experience.
Tomorrow, if everything goes according to plan, I'll be going to a self-made double feature at the theater. If not tomorrow, then Monday. Which two movies am I going to see? That's an easy one! I'll be seeing Harry Potter AND the new Planet of the Apes! I haven't done a double feature in years, so this will be a lot of fun!

Everyone have a good one!
Talk to y'all later!
Dan

o

We finally got a little rain. Not the good soaking rain that we need but a little is better than none right?! We had a big family gathering and there was a shelter. All who wanted to stay dry did, and the young folks and kids didn't let the rain slow them down at all. It was fun to see everyone having a good time!

There were no book exchanges this time tho :( I need to use the word book one more time so I'll have an even number so here I go...book!

Have a great day!

Mavis

147+3=150!

o

Hi ya all! I just had to say that since I am down in South Carolina visiting my son and dil. It is HOT here. I am not sure how many of you live down this way but I notice you can't do much gardening unless you are willing to spend hours watering. No one really has much in the line of gardening due to the heat. There are some trees and bushes in bloom here though that are pretty.

We went out to the ocean yesterday and then made a trip to Charleston and hit a book store while we were there. Of course, I couldn't pass up buying my dil a gardening book. They aren't quite into real gardening yet but I need to work with them. I also bought myself a water gardening book and since they were such a good deal, bought another of the same book for a future swap. Then I bought three more books at a resale shops. Some people but typical souvenirs and I buy books as mine.

I was wondering if I can do the game too since I am a co host or am I ineligible. I have no idea how many books are on Shirley's shelves or what is in the way.

I have to go play a card game now so will check in later. Hope you are all staying cool.

smitties

186+7=193

o

Margo! since you're not living with Shirley, why not play her guessing game? last Christmas I helped Kym with her christmas card seed swap, and we let one another play each other's games. so take a guess! I don't see any problems with it!
it sounds like you had a great trip! good for you!
dan

o

Sun, Aug 7, 11 at 21:13

Hi Everyone! Just got back from a day of running around visiting friends. My friend Rhonda and I do this every once in a while, just to keep in touch with everyone. Good day!
Margo! Of course you can play the game. Sounds like you're having a great time in SC!
We had rain here again today, got some stuff down outside before we left, including more cardboard on the beds! It really looks strange! As far as I can tell the groundhog hasn't eaten anything else, which is a good thing!
I've started all 3 of my new books, I think they are going to be keepers, not that I have room for them!
Hi to Mavis, Dan, Iris, Bunny, Kathie, Beth, Alana, Grace, Ellie, Annie, Linda and Faye-Hope everyone had a great day, and spent some time reading a good book!
Shirley!

o

Dan, I just saw your BBC list & I'm astounded at some of their choices. I'm also surprised that people have only read about 6 from the list. I counted 68. A lot of the dickens & Steinbeck were from school. Loved Watership Down altho the movie scared me. But then so did the tripping pink elephants parade scene in dumbo.
I loved Possession. & of course read all of the lord of the rings, the lion the witch & the wardrobe, Harry potter & twilight series.
Some personal faves that weren't on the list:
Art & lies by Jeanette winterson
wrinkle in time series by Madeleine l'engle
sleep by banana yoshomoto
letters to a young poet by Rainier maria Rilke
joy of cooking by Irma romnauer & Marion r Becker
almost anything on knitting

for anyone who likes Twilight, i'd highly recommend The Host by the same author. I know the movies are compelling, but this one's much better writing.
That's my 2 cents
Grace

o

Mon, Aug 8, 11 at 15:24

Happy Monday! More rain here today! I just got done putting 3 more layers on my lasagne bed-cardboard (the VERY last of the boxes), coffee grounds and a good thick layer of newspaper. Now I need to find more straw and more manure. Need to find a way to get them all back here to the house, too!
Well, one of the new books is a no-go. The Finishing School is just not catching my attention, so out to the yard sale it goes! Will try one of the other new books tonight.
Found this saying, can't remember if anyone else posted it or not:
"Books should be brought to the doorstep like electricity, or milk in England. Books should be considered utilities."
On that note!
Later!
Shirley!

o

Finally. Massive thunderstorms moved through this evening and dropped temperatures into the 80's. Hail the size of walnuts cooled the air...so refreshing.
It will be interesting to see what books everyone has chosen. Garden books, craft books, cook books...I'm sure there are some great books out there.
Alana
87/92

o

My friend was telling me over the weekend how some guy on a first date asked her if she ever read "real" books. Turns out this young man only reads electronic books now. What has the world come to?

I think i'm at 7 now.... Grace

o

Mon, Aug 8, 11 at 21:32

Hi All! I'm glad you finally got some cooler weather, Alana, ours has cooled down quite a bit, more showers off and on all day. Refreshing is a great word. Did you get that out of a book!?
A friend got a Kindle for Christmas, at the time I thought, no, need to have the actual book setting on a shelf or stacked in the corner. However, I HAVE thought of a good use for the Kindle: I will get all my favorite books on one, and then when Chris puts me in the nursing home, I won't have to worry about the "no room for books" rule! Why couldn't that work?! I'm surprised she hasn't thought of it!
I liked Twilight, but none of the other books. I want to try The Host; this is such a neat swap-I've already added several new books/authors to the list!
We do have a great selection of books already posted for the swap-all different categories! I already know which one I want, well, unless a better one comes along! If you haven't emailed Margo with your book, info and address, please do so before the 12th!
Dan, did you do your double feature? I loved the original Planet of the Apes, didn't like the new version with, what was his name, Wahlberg? Would like to see this new movie.
Later!
Shirley!

o

Whoa... a BOOK SWAP!?!?! Oh yes, I am SOOO in!! Books are definitely my next favorite item to collect besides seeds! :)) Ebay gets me in trouble in so many (fulfilling & money depleting) ways! :)) It's been a good while since I've done a MNF swap anyways so this will get me back in the game.

Dan ~ SUCH an over achiever!!! lol :P I better 'book' it to catch up with you!!

Please sign me up and I'll go have a look at my ridiculously stuffed bookshelf and see what I can manage to part with. I actually got rid of about 6 books last week to the local Goodwill. (an EXCELLENT place to pick up books by the way!)

*a whopping 6 so far!*

o

This is actually a faceBOOK status that is being spread around among friends in my group.. but I thought it might work here as well. Might get some pretty funny BOOK quotes out of this!

It's national BOOK week! The rules: grab the closest BOOK to you (no cheating). Go to page 56. Copy the 5th sentence as your status. Don't mention the BOOK. Also post the rules as part of your status.

"Her voice turned coy and teasing, "Come here, amore'!"

(It's a BOOK about the Renaissance period.. really! lol)

*6+6=12*

o

Wendy, why do I think sentence 6 would be too much for GW to handle?
Sentence 5 on page 56 of the book closest at hand: "Covering the wall so cleanly really did something for me."
Alana
92/93

o

Tue, Aug 9, 11 at 16:06

Hi Wendy and Welcome!
Sentence 5 of the closest book: "Really, quite obnoxious".
It's a mystery.
Alana-did you get lots of rain?
Wendy-feel free to join in the "Shirley's Bookshelf" game, and send send your book info to Margo before the 12th
Glad you could join!
Shirley!

o

Yeah, we are back home after a wonderful week. It was great seeing my son and dil but I am happy to be back home again. Since I bought them the garden book, I brought back the book I had lent to them a few months back.

I am going to go back and check all the posts and see what is involved in the books guessing game. I think I saw the deadline is tomorrow but I will check. If I am too late to give my guess on the number of books, it is my fault.

I will be back tomorrow. I need to get a list of those who have signed up so far. I don't think too many of you have sent me the book info for listing in the swap. If you can give me a brief description of the book as well as how many pages it has, that would be great.

Oh yeah, my gardens look good. We have had some rainfall and more today. Of course, the weeds grew just as good as the plants while I was gone.

Good day to all, Margo

193+6=199

Oh heck, might as well make it an even 200 for the word book.

193+7=200

o
RE: MNF's August swap. Recycle and Read10

My book:
an acre of land, but that his nearest neighbor-Mrs.Knowl......
I was lucky to have a book to grab because I am at work. We have a "lost and found" and someone had turned a couple of books in that were found. Otherwise I would have had to use one of our notebooks to quote from : )

I will send my book information to you on Wednesday Margo!

Have a great day!

Mavis

150+5= 155

o

Hmmm. Line 5 of page 56...

Aunt Liddy's shoe.

o

book page 56, sentence five reads as follows

much less nectar to survive and reproduce in cold climate and

(gardening book of course).

So I came back to see when the deadline for the book shelf guess is and it is tomorrow. Can you guys believe how fast time is passing? Anyway, my number for books on the bookshelves is 265 and there is 36 items in the way of the books.

Oh, and the winner will get to choose from a list of three or four books I have purchased in the past for this purpose. I will be mailing it the cheapest way which might be book rate which is a little slower. If I happen to be the winning guesser which is most doubtful, the one who comes in second will get the book choice. Good luck to all book guesses.

Margo

200+10=210

o

My double-feature was an absolute blast, even though I ate too much popcorn...lol! would you believe I was in the theater for almost 5 hours? I loved it! Harry Potter was a great ending to the series, and the Planet of the Apes was the best in the whole series! It gave a new beginning to the Apes, and I left the theater hoping that such things weren't going on in the medical research labs now. I have a sister who works at the Mayo Clinic in one of their research labs, and let's just say that this Apes movie is entirely plausible, okay? Makes me shiver just to think of it, but I'd give the movie an 11 on a scale of 1-10. Even if you've never seen a Planet of the Apes movie before, see this one!

Okay, I've grabbed the nearest book, turned to page 56, and line 5 reads...
"outdoors include trees, shrubs, climbers, perennials, alpines, and bulbs. Some"

g'nite everyone!
-Dan
1 + 344 = 345

o

Shirley ~ I'm gonna go high with my guess... 364 BOOKS, and 28 knicknacks in front of the BOOKS :)

12+2=14

o

Good Evening/Morning Book junkies,

I have not been around for a few days...thought I would check in on the book swap and happenings.

Speaking of "Goodwill" and books.....I chuckle (just a little) when I think of a lovely, classy lady who had many books....many, many books. She kept them in boxes around her home. She always said that one day she would donate them. But for the time being they would stay put as she often would read them again. I offered to take them to Goodwill and she would always say no. In fact, she did not want anyone even looking through the boxes of books. Her husband got to the point that he could not stand it anymore....boxes of books everywhere. While his wife was gone one day, he took several of the large boxes of books to Goodwill for donation (yes, without telling her). When his wife returned home, she noticed that many of her beloved boxes of books were no longer "home". She became very upset and I mean very upset!!! She screamed and yelled and ranted and raved and called her husband every name in the book....I know because I was their. She was one pissed off woman. I did not blame her, especially after I heard why she was really so ticked off. Yes, she loved her romantic novels, mysteries, best sellers and biographies. But in her beloved books in so many boxes, she had hidden money to the sweet tune of $15,000. One book had $100, another book had $300, and so on. After she told her husband of the money that HE GAVE AWAY, I think he nearly died. He never touched one of her books again.
To this day when I pick up a used book at a garage sale or donation facility, I page though it. You just never know what you might find in a book...a good mystery, lots of tears, laughter, romance and escape or.....a few bucks!!!

Let me fetch the closest book. Page 56, sentence 5.......

"Many pieces require highly intricate finishing touches and their tiniest details must be treated almost microscopiclly".

Off to watch the news! Happy Wednesday!

Annie previous 313 + 18 = 331 books

o

Wanted to share some of my favorite quotes about books ...

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb

My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter. ~Thomas Helm

A dirty book is rarely dusty. ~Author Unknown

To sit alone in the lamplight with a book spread out before you, and hold intimate converse with men of unseen generations - such is a pleasure beyond compare. ~Kenko Yoshida

Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labeled "This could change your life." ~Helen Exley

A house without books is like a room without windows. ~Heinrich Mann

38 +6 = 44

o

Wanted to share some of my favorite quotes about books ...

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb

My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter. ~Thomas Helm

A dirty book is rarely dusty. ~Author Unknown

To sit alone in the lamplight with a book spread out before you, and hold intimate converse with men of unseen generations - such is a pleasure beyond compare. ~Kenko Yoshida

Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labeled "This could change your life." ~Helen Exley

A house without books is like a room without windows. ~Heinrich Mann

38 +6 = 44

o
We've got Winners!

Wed, Aug 10, 11 at 11:05

Good morning everyone! Another beautiful, COOL day here in SEMI! I've been trying to get pics of the butterflies all morning-haven't managed any good ones yet-drat!
Well, today is the DAY for choosing the winners in our game, but first should tell you that there were 222 books on the shelves and 33 "stuffs cluttering up the shelves!" And that means that-TA DA!!
Mavis wins the bookshelf prize, with a guess of 216, and Margo wins the "cluttering" prize, with a guess of 36!
Congratulations, Ladies!
Margo, I have your address, and will get the seeds out to ya in the morning!
Mavis, I know Margo will be in touch about your choice of book and address!
Thanks for playing, everyone!
Okay, Friday is our deadline day! If you haven't emailed Margo with your book, info and address, please do so as soon as you can!
Off to set on the back porch and pray that the Red Spotted Purple comes back!
Shilrey!

o

Wed, Aug 10, 11 at 13:27

It's me again! Thought it might be time to start a new thread, so please post on the new one-Thanks!
Shirley!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here