Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummingbirddaisy

update: july hortiholics anon rr

hummingbirddaisy
17 years ago

Hi Ladies!

Can you believe that this year is half over already?!!! WOW!

It amazes me how fast time flies by anymore.

Well, I am hoping this month will run a bit better than June.

For those of you who didn't receive a June box, I am going to wait for one more week to see if your partners will come through. If not, I will make those boxes up to you.

Your partners will be dropped from this RR, and we will find you a replacement pal. This time however, if a newbie wants in, they are going to have to set up a trade with one of us before they will be able to join.

We'll get this all smoothed out.

Have a great 4th, and be safe!

Sending hugs to you all ~

Tina

Also - Lets try to have our boxes out by July 21st. Send with a Delivery Confirmation number. If you won't be able to send by the 21st, please let me know, or post.

Thanks Ladies!

I will be posting July Birthdays very shortly!!!

Comments (51)

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Here is the tovara that my pal sent me in June. It's growing so well and it has become one of my favs!

And here is a "peace" rose that looks like it must have a million petals, lol.

I thought I'd share since I finally got photobucket to work. (although I can't seem to get my photos to be any smaller than this!)

• amybabyboy3
    17 years ago

Hi All,
    I just received a wonderful package from my pal. She has been having severe computer problems and has not been able to post. Tina she DOES want to be included in next months swap. Her garden web name is MissSpoiled25.

MissSpoiled25, Thank you so much. What a awesome box of goodies. I received a pretty flower rain gauge, avon lotion which I love, A beautiful set of note pad, pencils and address book in a decorative box, a plastic craft organizer for my crafts, bug lotion with sunscreen- really need this!!, and a Buffalo Spree Magazine (garden issue). Thank you so much, I love everything. Amy

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello my garden hat wearing ladies, smiles!

It is SO GREAT to see the wonderful boxes arriving!

Deanie ~ Your family sounds like mine, LoL. Kids and dogs running everywhere! :-) I am so happy you received sich a wonderful box!

Julie ~ Your pics are beautiful! I have a tovara, but mine isn't fully variegated. It just has the red on it. I'll have to keep an eye out for that one. Your rose is lovely. I can smell it from here :-). Keep those gorgeous pictures coming.

Amy ~ Glad you received such a great box as well! missspoiled25 knows how to pack a box doesn't she!

I can't wait to hear what everyone receives for July!!!

Sue G. ~ I have e-mailed your pal. Hopefully I will hear back very shortly. I will be sure to keep you paired up with your secret pal that you send to, whether your sending pal stays in or not. We have one other gal who has not received, but likes who she sends to as well, so maybe we can work out something there. We'll make this right. IF I have to send you a box myself, you will get a JUNE box. You are such a great trader and just great in general :-).

I am going down the list of who has sent, who still plans to send, and who has just disappeared. Hopefully by this weekend, I will be able to have all of this straightened out.

Lisa (and Kayla :-)) Hope things are going better for you now. Your e-mail has "AVON" in it. Hmmm.... are you selling Avon? If so, maybe you should send me an e-mail and we should talk, smiles! I use to sell it way back, and I miss some of the products. Especially the hand and nail lotions and some of the facial creams.

My July box will be going out next week. Probably Wednesday if nothing don't happen.

It's so good to see ya'll posting. :-)

Have a wonderful night,
    Tina

• amybabyboy3
    17 years ago

Tina, Do we send to the same person for July or are we going to get a new pal? Thanks, Amy

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Amy ~ We will keep the same partner for the year.

Going to go clean my kitchen, oh joy, LoL. Anyone want to volunteer? :-)

Tina

• simplylisa
    17 years ago

Tina,

I think you must be peeking in my window. I spent all day yesterday cleaning out and organinizing the freezer, fridge, pantry and the ultilty room food stockpiles. I got rid of some out of date food and divided what I had stocked up into boxes to give my daughter and her fiance. She is moving out tomorrow and they are getting married August 5th. She is my oldest (20 years) and I can't believe she is getting married already and leaving me. When did I get so old? I am going to try posting more often I feel like I haven't done my part around here. I just don't have many plants yet and my blooms are not nearly as pretty as you alls. Plus between trying to keep up with a 4 year old (Kayla) and organize a wedding, I still have to share the PC with my 16 year old son and my hubby. I took some pictures to share (not very goods one though) but someone will have to let me know how to do that. I hope everyone had a wonderful 4th of July.

Hugs,
    Lisa & Kayla

PS I do still sell Avon just not as much this year as usual. Usually I sell at Honor Society but the past couple of years I haven't even made President's CLub. I'm hoping to start making some money with it again after Amber's wedding. Need the money badly areound here. LOL Let me know if you want anything I can even mail you a few books if you want. Cya

Lisa

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lisa and little Miss Kayla ~ You are doing great in this RR. Please forgive me if I made you think any different?
    Maybe your secret pal will help you fill in your gardens a bit!
    I know what you mean having to share your computer. I have a 14 year old, a 12 1/2 year old, and a 9 year old (who LOVES pc games)ANDDDDDDDDD the DH, LoL to fight with to get to the computer. I had access to it quite a bit today, yea!!!! (Like you couldn't tell huh!)

I need to clean out my pantry too. Wanna come and help me? smiles

Wow, a 20 year old. Boy I dread THAT day. Only 6 more years for the first one to hit it......not EVEN gonna think about it.

About the Avon, that would be great to look through the books. I would love to buy thru you!

I need to get scootin'.
    Oh, post those pics! We want to see even the smallest bloom. I was thrilled yesterday when I seen one of my johnny jump ups stretching to look over the dianthus! :-)

Hug's,
    Tina

• kayemell
    17 years ago

Tastefully Julie's pictures inspired me to share some of mine. Don't you just love the garden at this time of year?

{{gwi:1291777}}

{{gwi:1291778}}

{{gwi:1291779}}

Hmmmm...I don't know why the middle photo is so big. I thought I resized it. Oh well -- the mysteries of digital imaging!

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Tina,
    Just wondering if my Pal ever contacted you or if they dropped out of the swap. No June package yet... darn, LOL.

Deb

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Deb ~ I just sent you an e-mail.

kayemell - Great pictures!

Good night all,
    Tina

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Tina,
    Sent you an email back. ;)

I love looking at all the pictures! I've been working really hard on all my flower beds (re-mulching, dividing, and moving things) that I don't really have any neat pictures to share yet. Hopefully, with in the next few weeks!
    I've just discovered dahlias this year (received some in a robin box) they are sooo pretty!
    They do grow really large though- that's the only drawback, and I'm not really sure on storage for the winter. I don't have the best of luck with tulips/cannas. Most of them LOVE to rot! I've been basically letting them dry, and brown bagging them. Do they really need sawdust? (I read that somewhere). If anyone has a few tips on saving bulbs/tubers, please let me know!

Deb

• amybabyboy3
    17 years ago

Kaymell, Those pictures are beautiful!!!!!!!!!! What kind of rose it that. It is awesome. I love all the pics too!Amy

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Kayemell, did you mean you don't know why the middle pic is so SMALL? lol Are those alliums?

I love your garden structures. Did you make the first one yourself? How did you get the pots to stay together???

• simplylisa
    17 years ago

Ok I am going to try putting in a picture. Please bear with me if it doesn't work. If it does work it will be a picture of my three children.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h268/SimplyLisa_2006/c561d7d7.jpg

• amybabyboy3
    17 years ago

Lisa, That is a cute picture and it worked great. Take care, Amy

• simplylisa
    17 years ago

Amy,
    I am so glad you posted that it worked. All I can see is the text. I thought it didn't work. LOL Thank you for the compliment. I am going to try to post some pics of my pitiful yard and a few blooms. Thanks again.

Hugs,
    Lisa & Kayla

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Lisa,

We see the text too but we can copy and paste it into our browsers to get the picture. In photobucket, I think it's the middle of the 3 links you need to use in order to get the picture to show up here. The one that says tag and starts with "a href"

Just so you know. I don't mind copying and pasting to see pics either :)

• kayemell
    17 years ago

To my Wonderful Secret Pal --

Thank you!

I received my box already! You get the prize for promptness, as well as for knowing what I like. Here's what was in my goody box: Some beautiful lavender lisianthus, (which are already in the ground and looking healthy!), a great "Scuba Aruba t-shirt (I am a scuba diver), two lovely wire flower pots, which, as my pal suggested, will look great with ivy trailing through them, a beautiful little book entitled "Flowers in Art" which showcases the paintings of some of my favorite artists, a fun picture frame, and perhaps most exciting, a vintage turquoise "tidbit dish" from Maurice of Calif that is a terrific addition to my turquoise potery collection.

Thank you, Pal, for making my day! May you enjoy all the sunshine and joy that the month of July brings.

• kayemell
    17 years ago

Thanks for the compliments on the pictures.

Amy -- the name of the rose is "America." It's a great climbing rose that does well despite neglect on my part!

And Julie, the allium is called "Globemaster." I stole the idea for the "tipsy pots" from the "Garden Junk" forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Make Tipsy Pots

• efrosty1
    17 years ago

my pals, box arrived but she hasn't posted.is she still in our swap? i am getting ready to pack her box for this month, but wanted to check for sure..

love the tipsy pots idea. i was working on 2 different ones last night with my daughter..she loved them.will post pictures when we are done.we searched and looked/read all the post we could find before we went shopping. it was fast and fun until we ran out of dirt..lol

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Erica - Yes, she is still in. Is having problems getting to the forum.

Sue G. ~ Your package is on the way for June Confirmation Number is 0305 1720 0002 2788 0580.

I am loving all of the pictures! Your gardens are so great!

kayemell - I had thought about using a ladder as well. I was thinking of putting up by my boys bedroom as a fire escape, but using a non-thorny plant. Then again, those thorns might come in handy when the girlfriends start knocking at the door, smiles.

Lisa - keep posting those pics :-).

Deb ~ I would like to send a June box out to you! Hope to get it out this Wednesday.

Enjoy the new week all. It is a new beginning, as each new day is.
    Hugs, Tina

• sguanzon
    17 years ago

Tina, you didn't have to do that! How sweet. Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness!

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh no Sue, this is from your pal. I'm sorry I didn't clarify myself. Although I would have been happy to send had your pal disappeared. I hope you know that...?
    I think alot of you!

One day, out of the blue, I received a package in the mail. I opened it, and inside was a beautiful tile that said "In search of my mothers garden, I found my own". Of course tears was just streaming down my face. It was from Sue G. She thought of me, just out of the blue. It really touched my heart so much. I admire that tile everytime I water my houseplants. I have it sitting on my wicker shelf with some violets.

Many Hugs Sue ~
    Tina

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My "troops" and my best friend since grade school (in the red shirt)

duckies in the lake

fireworks

more fireworks

my little pond area

Frosty Morn Sedum

Kwanzo daylily

boarder

Razzmatazz Echinacea

Double Decker starting to bloom on top

Sunflower

Indian Love Call Daylily

Well, I'm sure this is more than enough pics, LOL. I got really camera happy this year with my gardens.

Hope you enjoy.
    Tina

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Wow! I love that last daylily. I'm working on a purple/yellow perennial border for next year so that might be a must have ;)

My pal never posted either so I'm just checking to see if she's still in...

• sguanzon
    17 years ago

I came home to find my most wonderful box from my secret pal last night. You know how magicians sometimes pull a trick where they keep pulling items out of a small box and it just never ends? Well, that's how I felt last night. My box had a "sea" theme -- I was so tickled. First a "crab" kitchen towel which is so appropriate 'cause my family's favorite is dungeness crab! Then came a metal lizard figure with an extremely long tongue (named him Gene Simmons), a garden mini journal (just perfect for keeping track of trades), a beautiful turtle sun catcher, a lobster red lollipop for my DH (the big baby) and many dum dum pops for my DD. And a froggy rain gauge - what a clever idea - I've never had a rain gauge before! And Plants! Really nice and healthy perennial geranium/mums and yellow primrose. And a postcard showing me where my secret pal lives. A place thats probably so green and cool compared to where I live.

Thanks so much Secret Pal. You're great!

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yea!!! I'm glad your box arrived Sue!

So, everyone excpet Deb has received a box...correct?
    Deb will be getting a box this week!

missspoiled, where are you? Come out, come out where ever you are.

We got 4 inches of rain late night/early morning. Popejoy Iowa got 7.34 inches! WOW! Thats alot of rain!!!!
    We needed it bad.
    We are suppose to be to 96 degrees by Sunday. Yuck! With our humidity, that is just TOO hot. I will be hiding under the a/c.

OK, need to go clean something, LoL.
    Tina

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good afternoon all ~

Thought I would bump this up a bit.

missspoiled and nitelite, are you out there? Pop in and say hello.

We are forecasted for 100 degree plus temps now. This is NOT my favorite time of year. I just can't take that heat and humidity. It's a nice overcast day today, but tomorrow is suppose to be a whole other story......argh.......

Stay cool and enjoy the a/c. Hey, maybe some of us will be able to clean INSIDE the house, LoL, yea right, :-)

Tina

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Ok, where's everybody go? Are you all out there in the heat weeding? LOL I was wondering if anyone here has tried blogging? I just jumped on the blog bandwagon. Mostly as a way to organize my photos and thoughts together in one place. It's probably awful boring but I'm sure no one will read it anyway!

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

HEATWAVE ALERT!!!! Yuck!!!!!

Our news tonight said heat indexes of 112 plus by this Sunday, and to stay that way for the next 7 days. Our humidity is just awful. I will be hiding under the a/c this week. Back in 1999, we had heat indexes of 123 and I ended up with a heat stroke. Every since then, I have just not been able to take very much heat.
    Maybe my house will start to look presentable with all the time I'll have to spend in it this week....
    Hope the rest of you are staying cool. Where are you all at any way? Weeding... in this heat? LoL

Julie - I read your blog. Very cool! I love your name too :-)

My Spacecoast Starburst Daylily opened today! I just love those ruffles. My first bloom ever of this one. My tropical hibiscus has bloomed. Huge red flowers!

I have a question for those of you who grow Irish Eyes Rudbeckia. Is it suppose to get 6 feet plus tall? I read up on it, and the info said between 36 and 42 inches, at most.
    These things are ginormous! How are you suppose to enjoy the blooms, when you can't even see them? Wow!

My oriental lily Aruba opened up a few days ago, and the bloom looks just as good today as it did then. It has to be at least 7-8 inches wide. Could you jsut imagine if it had a scent.....

Hope to hear form you all soon. Miss ya!
    Tina

• efrosty1
    17 years ago

i received my july box from my pal...thank you so much..you brighten my day, as well as my daughters.. we had so much fun going through the box..thanks so much, you out did your self. thanks for the early b-day card...good bless..erica
    {{gwi:1291809}}

• kayemell
    17 years ago

Oh my gosh I thought I was going to have heat stroke today! Actually I think I may have had a little healthy thingy because of the ridiculous high temperatures and the fact that I took leave of my senses and decided to work outside in the beating sun all weekend.

I'm at work all week, so I usually grab every second of outside-time during the weekend, but this weekend was too hot to be working outside. The temps reached the high 90s in Pennsylvania, with a heat-index of the low 100s. Yeeek.

I foolishly decided to start my "door-to-nowhere" and cement stepping stone project this weekend. What was I thinking??? After 6 hours of working in the heat I started to get cold chills and I felt nauseous. Well, duhhhhh. What did I expect?

So I spent the rest of the day indoors (Yaaaayyyy air-conditioning!) cleaning and organizing, and thanks to TastefullyJulie, I stole her idea of a blog-spot, and created my own, documenting the beginning of the cement stepping stone project.

Despite my little health issue, I am excited about finishing this project!

Here is a link that might be useful: The beginning of my cement stepping stone project

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"You can lead a whore to culture...but you can't make her think" hahahahaha
    Your project is TOO COOL! However, you were not, while out there in murderous weather. What was you thinking girl? ;-)
    Sounds like you had a bout of dehydration or heat exhaustion. You be careful!
    I can't wait to see your finished project! Very creative!

I hid in the house under the a/c most of the day. I snuck out for a bit to take a few pics of some daylilies and such. But then I was right back in. I just don't get along with such heat and humidity. YUCK!

I got a bit more cleaning done, and thats about it for my exciting weekend.

Tina

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

kayemell, I love it! Your blog, house, gardens, everything...

What a great weekend (I like it hot). Too hot to garden but great for taking a swim. What also made it great was my July box! I got verbena bonariensis from my wishlist, a windchime necklace which is very unique, flip flop floating candles, beautiful garden stationary - all wrapped- and I feel like I'm forgetting something but my kids are screaming for their breakfast! Thank you so much pal.

• amybabyboy3
    17 years ago

Kaymell, I love your house it is so cute and your garden is beautiful. I can't wait to see your finished pictures. Be careful in the heat. Take care, Amy

• amybabyboy3
    17 years ago

lroyrose,
    Just checking, Have you received a July package from me and email birthday card for July? My husband sent package out without d/c and I hope it arrived okay. Amy

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

My package for July went out today, USPS #0305 0830 0004 1527 2127.

• bogartbaby
    17 years ago

Hello everyone! I was so busy trying to get everything done before going on vacation that I did not realize how long it's been since I posted anything. I will be gone from July 29th-Aug.10th. !!! Hope my pal reads this and does not send the box during this time frame. I was getting so tired of watering all my flowerbeds... so I set up sprinklers everywhere, instead of watering 2 hours every morning I just run out and turn them on for about an hour. I should have listened to my DH and had the inground sprinklers installed but I did not want anyone digging around my yard and flower beds...DUH ! what was I thinking at that time? ... LOL, oh well... it's all good.
    Hope everyone is staying cool, will post again when I return from vacation, hopefully with pictures.
    Deanie

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

BTW, it was the fridge magnet that I forgot!! Too cute with my name on it "Julie's Kitchen" So thoughtful, I love it!

Hope to get my box out this week. I've been waiting for a plant that I ordered to perk up a bit.

• efrosty1
    17 years ago

i will be shipping out wed. or thursday.. i'm on 10 hours and overtime right now. so the post office is closed when i get off.sorry to be so late...but i have not forgotten.

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

My box went out today...

• amybabyboy3
    17 years ago

Just checking to see if anyone has heard from lroyrose. I posted a while back to see if her package arrived safely and noticed she hasn't posted yet. Thanks Amy

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Sorry Amy, I haven't but she was in another swap I'm in and had to be dropped due to the lack of responses.

• efrosty1
    17 years ago

HI everyone, sorry I have not posted sooner. I have worked so much this week I think I have that factory planted on my butt following me everywhereÂlol I shipped out yesterday. Sorry not sooner but with my schedule it was the best I could do. Had to take my hubby to the ER. So I have been super busy..

• bogartbaby
    17 years ago

Erica, sorry to hear about your hubby. I hope he is doing o.k.
    I also wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday! Hoping that tomorrow will bring you everything you wished for and be one of the best Birthdays you ever had! I will have a drink or two or three...LOL..in your honor tomorrow while sitting on that %*&%& plane for eight and a half hours.
    Anyway, here is to you girl! Cheers!!!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ERICA!!!!!

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Wow, 8 and 1/2.... Where ya goin'? Tahiti??

• efrosty1
    17 years ago

thank you for the birthday wish.. i'm gonna need it..we are trying to refiance house. and my hubby had to go to the ER so now i am doing all the cleaning painting etc. happy b-day to me... lol erica

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dear pal and all ~

I have been terribly ill, and am behind in my robins. I am going to try to get everything done this weekend. I am so sorry.
    Erica, happy birthday! HAppy Birthday to anyone I misses. Please forgive me?

Deb, I have not forgotten you sweetie.

I feel like i have been sick forever. Maybe this will clear up soon... I hope. This heat isn't helping matters much....argh

HUgs to you all,
    Tina

• amybabyboy3
    17 years ago

Iroyrose,
    Thank you so much, I received my July package today. A beautiful wind chime, and three rooted cuttings, cecil brunner rose, Nikki hydreanga and red butterfly bush. I planted them right away. Thank you, Amy

• amybabyboy3
    17 years ago

F.Y.I
    I POSTED THE ABOVE STATEMENT AND IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN POSTED UNDER JULY GARDEN DECOR. I DID NOT RECEIVE MY JULY HORT. ANON BOX. SORRY FOR THE ERROR. AMY