Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiggyann

can you explain what round robin is?

tiggyann
15 years ago

Maybe I'm just dumb, but I never heard for round robin trading, could someone explain how it works? And can anyone play? I live in orlando florida, is that too far to play? Can I would like to try it out!

krissy

Comments (13)

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

Hi Krissy!
    The MNF (make new Friends) forum is always open for new people. We have one coming up in August and every month after that. If you look for the post "MNF upcoming schedule" you can see what ones you might like to join in.

What a round robin is: well, you sign up for it and the person who is running that round will assign a swap partner to you. The rules for each round robin are posted at the beginning of the thread. Some will have a theme with a minimum amount of plants or seeds to send. You figure out what you would like to send your partner. Pack it up and send it out within the time specified. You need to mail it priority mail if there are live plants in it. You will also need to post a conformation # for the box.

If you read some of the round robins going on, it should help you understand it better. I"m sure other members will be adding their two cents worth too...."L"..and by the way...
    WELCOME!

Linda

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Hi Krissy, no you are definitely not dumb dear. Round Robin referst to a group of people from all over the country getting together online to swap plants. A true round robin would start with a host sending out a box of seeds and the recipient would then take some items out of the box for themself and then replace the items with a new assortment of items (seeds, bulbs, gardening books, etc.) to then be mailed on to the next person in their group and so on.

The round robins that we do here are for live plants unless otherwise specified in each of the groups rules in the original posting by the host. I belong to a few different groups and each month a theme is posted by the host, any rules for a minimum number of plants to be traded. People can sign up for a certain amount of time and then partners are posted by the host. Once paired you can check the person's trade list, email them to find out any special wishes, post and visit on the forum as much as you like and then send plants by the deadline that was set.

MNF is a great group to begin with. We are taking new members all the time. We are all about Making New Friends, hence the MNF in the title for the thread. This month's there will be Garden Junk. Any kind of garden art that you make or find at a flea market plus a few plants is part of this month's theme. It can be purchased new, made new from old junk, pots, etc. Take a peak and say hello. Even if that theme isn't something you're interested in there will be a new swap for the following month.

Petal Pushers is another group that is taking new members as well. August's swap isn't posted yet but will be a cookbook exchange. If you like to cook, visit, and giggle that would be another good group to check out.

Have fun, post a hello in any of the groups. You will be welcome to join if you like. I am so glad you posted and welcome to the round robins.

Tracy

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Waving hello to Linda! You beat me to it! lol!

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

Your explanation was a really good one...would make me want to join.."L"..."waving back"

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

And so as not to completely confuse Krissy... :P

There are several different groups. Some groups are usually for a specific type of plant i.e. veggies, iris, daylilies

And both explanations above are accurate, though they seem as though they contradict each other. Some groups do only what is called Round Robins, which Tracy explained, which is where it starts with a host or hostess putting together a box then sending it on to a person in the list of members that have signed up for the month. I've not done one of these yet, so I'm not completely sure how they work out the order that it's mailed. The term Round Robin comes from the fact that it travels in a "circle" ending up back with the host.

The other type of RR done is called a swap, which Linda explained. Several groups, including MNF do this and in this, you are simply paired in one of two ways- 1. either you are assigned a partner and the two of you send to each other, 2. you are assigned someone to send to and someone that will send to you.

Sounds complicated, but really it's not and I hope we've not intimidated you :)

As Linda and Tracy mentioned, I'm also a member of MNF. Great group of people! Not only do they have wonderful plants and seeds to share and lots of wonderful goodies that they literally stuff the boxes with, but while we're waiting for the actual exchanges, there's lots of visiting on the thread. Everything from silliness to seriousness. A laugh when I need it, several shoulder when I need that too. Recipes, tips, tricks and hints not only for the garden, but household stuff from cleaning more organically to homeschooling children. It's really a wonderful group :)

I've done a few trades with members of other groups and can honestly say that there are many, many wonderful people on this forum :)

The most important thing that I can tell you about Round Robins is to have fun! And you're welcome to email me with any questions you might have :)

Kathy

• beth_b_kodiak
    15 years ago

Good explainations Gals. Though, it is confusing to use the term Round Robin for what are person to person swaps That's what we do ;o)
    Anyway, Welcome Krissy. Just read the rules posted by the hostess and feel free to ask questions. We all had lots of questions when we started.
    Florida sounds pretty close to me. I traded from Alaska for years.
    Tracy, so glad you mentioned that Pedal pushers is doing cook books in Aug. I can't resist cookbooks and even living in the RV I seem to just keep getting more cookbooks
    Bethb

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

see? I knew you ladies would contribute..."L"

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Hi Beth! I'm the same way! I have a nice collection going here and a huge grouping of Bon Appetit magazing. I have got some of the best recipes out of there. I'm so glad you'll be playing in August! Gotta love food.

Hey Kathy, sorry dear, I tried to cover both types of RR exchanges in my post, I guess I missed my mark? :o)

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Krissy! Welcome to the round robins! You'd be more than welcome to come stop by the MNF group and join in! We've always got several threads going, and if you're not hooked within 24 hours of reading them, well then, we're probably all passed out on the pool deck from drinking too much of Linda's Bailey's. I just joined the group this past year, and am definitely glad I did! There's always something going on, whether it be serious or zany, so peek your head in, take a look, and join in on all the fun!
    And, believe it or not, we actually do some plant trading too!

And Linda? Not only the gals are contributing! hehehe

EVERYONE HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!

-Dan

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Kathy, CLEANING TIPS! EEEK!! Are you trying to scare her off?!? LOL
    I musta been over enjoying a margarita while you guys were talking cleaning!

Krissy, Please do pop in and say hi over at the MNF forum! we love new people! And I promise you will have fun, even if you can't do a swap at the moment!

Tracy, I'm heading over to PP to check out the cookbook swap! Thanks

Vic

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Woo hoo Vic! I'm so excited that you are going to play with us! Come on over! We're cooking up a storm already!

Tracy

• medontdo
    15 years ago

WELCOME!! dumb?? exactly what does that mean?? hmmm...... i don't think you are!! LOL the plants are really exciting that you get,and i totally LOVE that you get plants from someone elses yard!! that THEY grew!! but i also love that i get to meet new friends and you can send plants from your garden or the store if ya have to. but also, the goodies!! they are awesome too!! **big grinn** i agree that the mnf is a really great group!! but ya gotta watch out for dan!! LOL **onery grinn** hi everyone!! i know, a day late and many dollars short!!! LOL :') ~Medo

• greenfingernail
    15 years ago

Great explanations! and when you think about it one's usual experience with round robins had to have been as children singing songs in lagging parts "Row row row your boat" etc. and this has been taken and applied so imaginatively by the plant-lovers on this forum! In fact its used in other fields equally cleverly - airlines scheduling, as well as load balancing on Web IP servers!!