Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncgardengirl_gw

UPDATE: No Limit Plant Swap #4

ncgardengirl
14 years ago

No Limit Fall Plant Swap

The items sent in can be BULBS, RHIZOMES, CORM'S, SEEDLINGS at least 4-6 inches tall and NOT LEGGY ones and MUST BE 4-6 INCH TALL PLANT AT LEAST!

GUIDE LINES TO FOLLOW:

1. First thing SIGN UP

2. HAVE FUN, all swaps are meant to be fun!

3. The plants you include must be at least 4-6 inches tall and NOT LEGGY STARTS! They must be something you would see at a nursery or plant dealer! BULBS, RHIZOMES, CORM'S, SEEDLINGS at least 4-6 inches tall (and NOT LEGGY ones) are all welcomed.

4. The will be no limit on the number of plants you can send in for this type of plant swap

5. Post the plants you plan on sending in, you may make request from the plant listed up to the total number of plants you will have available.

6. Please send in a limit of 10 on any one variety! No more then 10 copies from one person will be allowed anything else will be considered EXTRAS and used as such! If you have different types of Daylilies you may send up to 10 Little Grapette, 10 Little Business, 10 Strawberry Candy but only 10 of one variety or color.

7. .YOU MUST MAIL IN A LIST OF THE PLANTS YOU SEND IN AND

8. YOU MUST TAG ALL PLANTS SENT IN. SO I CAN IDENTIFY THEM. Also PLEASE include your GW ID on the plants mailed in so people can email you with questions if they need too.

9. DO NOT USE MARKERS TYPE WRITING INSTRUMENTS TO MARK YOUR LABELS WITH, THEY WILL FADE WITH JUST A LITTLE MOISTURE.

10. YOU MUST HAVE ALL BOXES SHIPPED TO ME AND MUST BE POSTMARKED FROM AUGUST 26th-AUGUST29th ANYTHING PAST THIS DATE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED! NO EXCEPTIONS! YOU MUST MAIL PRIORITY MAIL!!!! (DO NOT MAIL TO ME BEFORE AUGUST 26th!) OR UPS WHICH EVER IS CHEAPEST FOR YOU

11. You must include a shipping label for the return. You MUST INCLUDE ENOUGH POSTAGE TO GET YOUR PACKAGE BACK TO YOU, and maybe a little extra just in case you have a larger box coming back to you then what you mailed in. PLUS 1.00 dollar to cover the cost of the Delivery Conformation # on the return back to you. PLEASE PLACE ALL RETURN LABELS AND POSTAGE IN A PLASTIC ZIPPY BAG SO AS TO KEEP THEM FROM GETTING MESSED UP

12. Credit will be giving to each plant that arrives to me in good condition and alive. If it didnt make it in shipping I can not give you credit for the plant.

13. Plants must be properly packaged, I will post information on how to do this.

14. YOU MUST SEND HEALTHY PLANTS OR PLANT MATERIAL!

15. IF you have questions please ask.

16. Cuttings will be allowed, HOWEVER, you should provide at least 3 cuttings per plant for houseplants or 5 cuttings per plant for shrubs/bushes, this time of year it should be HARDWOOD cuttings from woody type plants. DO NOT TAKE CUTTINGS FROM FLOWERING PLANTÂS TIPS THAT ARE IN FLOWER THEY WILL NOT TAKE! USE ONLY NON FLOWERING PLANT PARTS.

17. You may bundle all plants together that is slated to go to someone, me for instance, you can either tie them together or place in a bag HOWEVER, DO NOT COMPLETELY CLOSE THE BAG, THIS WILL CAUSE THE PLANTS TO ROT SHOULD ANY PLANT PART TOUCH THE BAG!

18. Instructions will be giver prior to shipping time to help you insure your plants arrive in great condition!

Let the fun being. I HOPE to see you sign-up. This swap will be timed for most of us to plant out for fall. SO COME ON WAIT CHA WAITIN ON? JOIN TODAY!!!

Current Swappers

1. ncgardengirl-Fran

2. greenthumbgrow-Tammy

3. flowergirl34-Vina

4. zinaray-Toni

5. sakura_komichi-CA

6. antiqueorchid-Denise

7. dieg01991-Amy

8. robin1962-2008-Robin

9. threas- Theresa

10. cannadoit

11. cjcjmass-Cindy

12. auntyara-Laura

KNOWN Lurkers:

None at this time

Remember the link posted below WILL take you away from this page/window UNLESS you right click the link to get the drop down menu then chose open in a new window.

:) Fran

Comments (150)

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Theresa -

Is your Aucuba male or female? If it is male, I can provide a female companion for you and for Denise.

~CA

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WOW CA, I didn't know Aucuba came in male and female plants. You learn something new almost everyday lol.

Tammy, I STILL don't have that email from you. Again, check your send folder and if it is there resend it. This irks me, I want to KNOW where it went!!! LOL

Ok, well I am off to go check on some things...I will check in later.

• threas
    14 years ago

I didn't know that either CA!!! I don't know what my Acuba is. I did see red berries(female?) for the first time ever and this has been here a long time, at least 15-20yrsOf course, they could have been there other years, but I just never noticed.

Theresa

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

Well, if it has berries, it is a female ;) That's what I have. Mine doesn't produce very many berries - I think because there isn't a male next to it - it has to be pollinated from a shrub down the street. Was hoping yours was male.

~CA

• greenthumbgrow
    14 years ago

OK fran - Just sent is again... Let me know if you get it this time.

Tammy

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

Tammy
    I just checked your list and see that theresa was in line for the peony-white with very light pink so its hers now that cannadoit is not coming back.

I think someone else maybe Luara had asked for a Japanese Painted Fern earlier. I will see if I can send another when I dig my fern to divide.

Denise

• greenthumbgrow
    14 years ago

I thought someone had but I didn't record it on the list so I wasn't sure. If she did please make sure she gets it first and if there is enough then me:-) That one is very pretty. I am not a hugh fern collector but that one I will make a spot for. LOL.

Thanks Denise.

Tammy

• threas
    14 years ago

Fran, my fern is an Ostrich Fern not Cinnamon. Still want it?

Tammy, I had a few other requests not updated yet.Do you want me to list again?

Theresa

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nah Theresa, I just had someone send me some Ostrich ferns, I wouldn't want you to dig any since I alreadh have it.
    I appreciate it though, I would like to get some more of the Japanese Painted Fern Denise does yours tend to grow slow? Mine seems to.

I love ferns I think they are awesome I think they look great in the woodland setting maybe one of these days I will get my area cleaned out and fixed up!

I really wish we would have gotten some more people over here, maybe next time. I really hope I can get some more items started for next year.

Theresa, my basils are looking good. I am sure I will be able to pass along some mammoth basil to you. It is growing pretty good and should be large enough to send along with this swap!
    What do you eat pesto with/on? HOW do you make yours?

• greenthumbgrow
    14 years ago

Give me until tommorrow theresa and If it is stil not on there then yes please. My host goes down once a year and It was this past weekend so I did't update. I will update tomorrow and ask everyone to confirm.

Tammy

• threas
    14 years ago

Tammy,I figured you didn't get around to updating yet. Thanks.
    Fran, the Basil would be great! MMMMM..... Pesto. Ingredients are Basil, of course,LOL, pine nuts,Garlic, olive oil, parmesan cheese. Sometimes I add fresh parsley if I don't have alot of basil, but I like all basil better. I serve it with pasta dishes. I could eat it by the spoonful too! Good to use up your basil before winter. It freezes well and can be divided into small batches in baggies. To thaw just stick baggie in warm water.

Theresa

• greenthumbgrow
    14 years ago

Theresa - I just made a large batch of it and froze it in ice cube trays. Then 'pop' them out and put in baggies so that I can pull a cube for single portions or a couple for larger.. **Just my little tip there ** I LOVE pesto also! I also put it on veggies. Very good.

:-) Tammy

• auntyara
    14 years ago

Hi girls,
    i'm not much of a poster.
    i keep checking in. thanks for remembering about the japaneses fern i would LOVE to have.
    i redid my "WORK IN PROGRESS LIST"

Laura

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

Hi all, just checking in.

Theresa, how do you freeze your basil? Do you just break the leaves off the stem and freeze them whole in baggies?

Are we thinking about moving up the send date? Just curious.

Amy

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Amy, let's see how this week goes if we don't get anymore swappers then maybe we can send in early, I am sure Tammy would like to get her Crazy Crazy Fall Swap underway.
    Let's just wait and see what happens, I would like to have a few more people but I don't think anyone else is coming.

Theresa, I will see how many basils I can send you then. I am sure you would like to have a lot to freeze to get you through the winter LOL.
    Don't forget to bring one or two into the house you know basil growes well indoors too.

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

Fran, Yes my Japanese Fern grows slow too.

Tammy what a good idea about the frozen pesto cubes sounds like a good idea.

I'm all for moving up the date for sending the plants.

I've been checking in but it has been slow up till these last few postings.

Denise

• greenthumbgrow
    14 years ago

Fran - I don't have any but one fern ( and I need to move it) It is just a regular woodland fern but where I have it it had grown quite a lot in two years. Does the jap one like to be in a lot of shade or does it tolarate some sun? Just curious as I have never done ferns.

Tammy

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My JPF gets some sun, I don't know if it is happy there or not BUT it is growing so I would venture to say it is at least tolerant of the sun.

This is really my first year to grow more then ONE fern type. I purchased my JPF in 2005 and had it in a pot until this year, it wasn't happy in a pot.

Woodland ferns like a LOT of shade, the grow bigger if they get shade to dapple shade. I know this by the ones growing in our woods, the ones in sun are small but the ones in the shadier areas are larger.

Ok, well I am off to see what I can get into. We are getting some much needed rain today wooohooo, no watering!

• cjcjmass
    14 years ago

If these items are still available i would like to add them on.

Fran Sarmentosum
    agastache honey bee
    canna orange

tammy chocolate mint
    spearamint
    varigated mint
    ganzia yellow and orange

vina lemon balm

theresa korean lilac miss kim
    passiflora moriflia

auntyara
    sage
    lemon thyme

robins 1962 cannas
    redbud seedling
    evening primrose.

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

Cherly, I would like to request some cuttings of variegated weigela. I've found that they root fairly easily. Thank you for offering them.

Denise

• cjcjmass
    14 years ago

Hi Denise,
    Where is everybody I do not want to play by myself :( .
    What happen it's lonely out here....lol

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

Cindy, I don't know. They must be outside. I keep coming in and checking both swaps. Not much going on in this swap though.

Denise

• greenthumbgrow
    14 years ago

I know. I need to go look for some more plants. LOL. I think I am running low though. Ahhh what did I just say! NOooooooo

Tammy;-)

• auntyara
    14 years ago

Cindy,
    sage and lemon thyme.
    got you written down.
    the mail date is getting closer.
    cindy, do you still have hosta mouse ears?
    i'd love one of those.
    Vina, did you request anything from me?
    if you did I didn't write it down :(
    and if you didn't check my trade list.
    I may as well stuff the box. lol
    Laura

• cjcjmass
    14 years ago

lauria,yes i can send in a Hosta Mouse ear for you inexchange for tall asters.

Cindy

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nah, I think this one is pretty dried up sadly! I had hoped we'd see some more folks coming in but it just doesn't look like it is going to happen even though I have posted it on the plant exchange too.

REQUEST CA can I get some:
    variegated weigela I think I KILLED mine! ERRRR.

I will not be around tomorrow so I will probably not get to check in I will be back in Friday morning though so if some action takes place while I am gone remember me LOL.

I will catch you all later,

• auntyara
    14 years ago

Cindy,
    Sweet!!! i love hostas.
    aster got it.
    Fran, here in my zone the only way to kill a weigelia is with round up.
    i love those darlings
    how can you beat them blooming so pretty 2xs a year. well here anywho.lol (anywho) you know what that means. lol.
    sorry too much sun today gnight.
    Laura

• threas
    14 years ago

Newbies are probably thinkin' "What's Left?"
    Well, if there are any lurkers out there, I joined Tammy's last swap very late and even though it didn't look there was alot left I still received alot & then some. So come on, it's fun!Everyone is so generous! I was so nervous the first time I joined, which was just about a month ago & this is my second one already!LOL Very addicting, once you see all the wonderful plants & cuttings you get for the price of postage,you'll want more & more. Everyone is so kind & friendly, we won't bite. Come introduce yourself, you'll be glad you did!

Theresa

• cjcjmass
    14 years ago

Hello everyone

Thanks laura i'm trying to get some plant that will give me some color in the Fall that sure would help.

Tammy are you going to update the list today I want to get started on tagging item in the yard.

Fran I hope all is well with you.

Amy that prickery pear got me again. LOL

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

I saw some discussion of maybe moving up the mail dates. I support that!

I have to travel the last week of August and it is going to be difficult to dig/wrap/mail everything when I get home on Sat the 29th. Should be able to do it, but if Fran wants to move the date a week earlier I certainly won't complain!

Also, I saw some discussion of clematis cuttings in the other swap (which I can't join due to the mail date). Does anyone here have any clematis cuttings they can offer? I'd really like to try some.

~CA

• flowergirl34
    14 years ago

Hi all...been away for a couple of days. I am also voting for moving up the day...if thats okay with everyone else.

Laura, I don't think I have requested anything on your list...I'll recheck though :)

I do know that if there are extra house plants...PLEASE PLEASE pass on me. I don't want any...if it comes in the house the kids want to put it in there mouths...I don't know why?? outside plants are fine...in the house = salad. Go figure :)

vina

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

Cheryl, I will try to squeeze a couple of clematis cuttings in the box for you.

Oh by the way when we did the cutting swap a couple of months ago we all took the cuttings and put them into water directly after they were cut. we then removed the lower leaves and sprinkled some root tone on them and then wrapped them in a moist towel and a plastic baggy just covering the moist towel. Allow the top leaves exposed so they do not rot in the plastic. I hope that makes sense.
    Denise

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

Thanks, Denise!

~CA

• greenthumbgrow
    14 years ago

I will update the site tonight :-)

I also support moving the mail date. If everyone is alright with it...

Tammy:-)

• zinaray
    14 years ago

update offers still available
    daylily jersey spider 2
    iris sapphire gem 1
    iris westar 2
    iris rainbow rim 4
    iris flower showers 1
    iris spanish coins 1

thanks Toni

• cjcjmass
    14 years ago

I'm all for moving up the date. Denise, that snowball brug
    has your name all over it.

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

Thank you cindy.

Zinaray could I request the last iris sapphire gem

Thank you!
    Denise

• cjcjmass
    14 years ago

Zinaray,

If there is anything still available I would like to have
    daylily jersey spider 2
    iris westar
    iris rainbow rim 4
    iris flower showers 1
    iris spanish coins

Thanks cj

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Toni can I please get:
    iris rainbow rim

I am not sure about moving the date, I have to see how our money situation is. I owe Tammy shipping and I may not be able to do it until the way I have it set up now.
    I needed to drop out of the last swap because we had some issues which are STILL at this second not completely worked out and I told Tammy I couldn't stay in the swap.
    Well being the dear she is worked out a deal with me so I didn't lose my spot so I have to make good on that with this swap.
    So ya'll let me see if something I have lined up comes through if it does then I will move the ship date because I will be able too, IF it doesn't I will have to keep it as is. I will let you know though.

• greenthumbgrow
    14 years ago

Fran - Don't worry about the shipping I will send it in. When you get past this bump in the road you can make my day with a nice surprise box of plants from my want list... kidding ...LOL

Ok everyone the page is up to date. Please let me know if I missed anything.

Click here to check the site

Tammy

• robin1962_2008
    14 years ago

NEW REQUESTS PLEASE:
    Fran-purple beautyberry bush-2 offers
    white crinum lilies-2 offers
    CA/Sakura-vareigated weigela cuttings
    rose campion
    Theresa-Korean lilac miss kim-2 more offers

• flowergirl34
    14 years ago

Toni, If you have any iris' left can you put me on your list. Don't care which ones or color. Thanks so much! vina

• flowergirl34
    14 years ago

Hi there. New request from Laura:
    Creeping Forget me knots (2)

I googled them and they are beautiful...I would love to give them a try. Thanks so much!!

I see on your want list you want red painted daisy, I have a couple of gloriosa daisy babies I found in the garden, if you would like to try them. Red and yellow. Let me know, if your not interested they are up for grabs.

Theresa, the choc. joe pye weed looks SO happy since I moved him a couple of days ago. I think it has actually gotten bigger already :) Thanks so much for your help!

You guys are so smart :)
    vina

• greenthumbgrow
    14 years ago

Hey robin! My mothers tear HAS A BLOOM ON IT. It is sooo pretty purple! I can't believe it is blooming already gal. That was a super surprise. I wanted to take a photo but am out of batteries and wouldn't you know they just died!

If I can I will take a photo later this evening to let everyone see it. Are they normally heavy bloomers? or was that just a kinda an abnormal time to bloom?

Tammy

• greenthumbgrow
    14 years ago

Ok a couple new request from left overs....
    Fran- other offer of your purple emperor (2)

Vina - 4 of your royal standard hosta

Theresa - Iochroma Australe
    Callisia Fragrans -2
    passiflora Morifia - 2
    add me on for 2 extra hydrangea cuttings (better success rate hopefully:-)

Robin - I would love your spider plants. I just wanted to give everyone else a chance at them first because I have the varigated ones but no babies yet.
    spider plants 3
    1 extra paw paw

Amy
    ferns - 2
    jade plant 2

Cindy - Poinsetta

Auntyara
    1 creeping forgetme nots
    2 pink spirea (if you have an extra you didn't give a number so I am not sure)
    BTW - I am so excited about your aster. I love them and have been wanting them for a while!

OK everyone I will be updating the site again with this mornings request.

We will be shipping in just another week and I am sooo excited! Everyone should start making their lables for the plants.

LABELING TIP - you should use something that can go straight in the ground so that when everyone recieved their box they can go straigt to planting. So many did this in the last swap and it made it so much easier. I will be doing this this time also for all of you. I saw old milk cartons, yogart containers, old plant lables etc.. (cut into strips) Plastic is best for this with a paint pen so it last longer (until everyone can 'officially' lable them all) Me and my daugter paint rocks with the name of the plant on the underside and we put them where ever the plant is. The know better than to move them. hehehe.

A lot of the ones that wrote on paper/tape a lot of them got smeared and you couldn't read them because of the moisure.

Tammy:-)

Anyone else have any tips?? I have been doing a ton of swaps but am still learning things as I go.

• zinaray
    14 years ago

fran, the iris are gone sorry[you are already down for for one]i'm sorry about your situation hope its better soon.

flowergirl34, the iris are gone sorry
    Toni

• auntyara
    14 years ago

Hi girls,
    Tammy and Vina, got it.
    I'm a little nervous. according to the up dated list i'm not getting very much. have i been requesting wrong?
    still confused on how this works, but i trust you guys
    Laura

• auntyara
    14 years ago

Vina,
    yes on the gloriosa daisys. i don't know what they look like but i'll take em.
    thanks
    Laura

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

Laura, Go down the list and request anything on the main list that you are interested in. Even if it says it is out they may be able to send more once they start digging and dividing their plants up.
    You should be requesting as many plants as your sending in or as many as people are requesting from you. I think I only counted 7 with your name on them so far. That is how I understand it to be.
    Denise

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

Laura, even if you don't request anymore at this point you will still get back the same amoount that you send in to Fran. They will of course be different ones than you sent in to the swap.

Denise