Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladygreensleeves

Plantaholics Anonymous Houseplant Swap #1 Cont.

ladygreensleeves
15 years ago

Wow ya'll we made 150 posts! woo-hoo.....And soon we will be swapping too double woo-hoo.

How is everyone coping with the heat? It's been terrible here....up in the high 90's and just making it miserable to be outside during the day.

I started some more plummie cuttings today, but was just too hot to do much.They are big ones too,so I hope they make it. I've never tried starting big cuttings so we will see how they do and if they will root. Still have quite a few more to start yet(and trade). There is a plummie farm not too far from me I want to check out. Maybe in the next day or two I'll get over that way. The ones I started from seeds have sprouted as well, and I have gotten some seedlings from a neighbors tree too! I wish I had seen the seed pods!

Well hope everyone is doing ok....later ya'll

Comments (118)

• elaine5678
    15 years ago

Fran, Those are beautiful spiders (and everything else too)! Thanks for offering, or um, pawning them off to/on us! ha ha! We'll see you on Sept 13, if not before!

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Frances....If Thursday is good for you...it's good for me too. Sometime between 9:30-12:00...I have to be back here by 1:00 to take Eric to work...and pick up the boys from school.
    Let me know if that works for you...or we can set up another time.:)

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Fran, oh you know I am curious as a kitten now! I'm so glad that you found the cord, I hate losing anything. But I'll hold out on asking cause lord knows that I may get myself in all kinds of trouble again! I'm still in the time out corner so I have to behave! ROFLMBO!!! And whoever told you about the barrels was a jerk! *shakes head* Some people can be so darn mean... I did find someone selling them on craigslist here a few months ago, he had them for $5.00 each. I wouldn't mind paying that but for $11.00 I couldn't do it either. ;) Hey how about a kiddie pool? I used ours when summer first started and had so much water! :) I'm sure they have them on clearance somewhere!!! :)

Crisann, I emailed you back just a bit ago. :)

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

I have a new friend.

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Re Thursday morning will be great! I'll e-mail you the address and phone (in case something comes up)

More in a bit, I am up to my elbows in muck

Lantana is a Butterfly magnet! I have one just like that about 5' tall....... I could happily have a dozen

well off I go more later

Frances

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

I so can not wait to swap!!!! :)

I have been looking forward to this for it seems like forever! hehehe

I went to Lowe's today in york......they had pots upon pots of lantana on clearance for 75 cent....so I took advantage of that!
    They also had a great deal of their cactus on clearance too.....and they had the 4in mums...and I needed for inch pots...so I bought some mums for my porch for fall color....it took me forever to find the ones with tiny little buds....they all had popped open...Iwant some color come October! hehehe

I'm so excited about this Halloween......i've never had a big old porch to decorate before....it's gonna kick major booty! lol

• tehs
    15 years ago

Hi Chellflower,

I sent you an email yesterday. Looking forward to swapping with you :)

TehS

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Red
    Good catch on the Lantana! I love that plant! I usually grab a few even if they aren't flowering when they are on sale. I saw all of the mums, but it still seems a bit early to me! I havee to pinch back the ones I already have soon so they will be ready to bloom again this fall!

I am planning to send out my swap box today or tomorrow! Really looking forward to it!

Have a great day everyone!

Frances

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Red, Great pic! Sounds like you got some great deals too! Good job! :)

Crystal I sent out your box today, I also sent you an email last night. :) Hope everything gets there safe and healthy! :) Let me know when it arrives. :)

The rain is starting to come in from this Hurricane/Tropical Storm. I hope the wind doesn't tear up all of my babies out there! Regina, stay safe!

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Debbya,
    Did you get my email? Just checking to make sure.

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Amy
    your plants are in the mail, I got a DC#, but it is in the car, have to post it later!

LadyGreenSleeves the Seeds are on their way to you.

Hope you are all safe and secure down there in florida, weather seems to be coming your way! Be safe

Frances

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Debbya,
    Please let me know if you still plan to swap.
    I emailed you again......just let me know what is going on.
    Thanks, Frances

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

I had an allergic reaction to fire ants and have been in and out of it for the past two days.
    Thank goodness for steroids and epi pens!!

Frances, Is Thursday still good for you?

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Hi Red! had a bad fire ant moment this morning, for once I outran them! (I saw them, before they saw me) lol Hope you are feeling better those little creeps have me terrified of ants.

Guess I forgot to send the address, will do it now

Frances

• crisann
    15 years ago

HI
    I recieved my plants from Southerncharm1 today, and have been busy getting them potted.
    Even thought it's been hot, they all arrived nice and healthy. Thanks for the great plants, Southerncharm1!!
    Hope everyone else has good luck with their exchanges!

Crisann

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Crystal I'm so glad that it all made it safe and alive! YAY! I got my box from you just a few mins ago. I have to get started getting them potted and then I'll post pics. Thanks for being a great swap partner Crystal. I'm headed over to Rate and Review now. :)

• ladygreensleeves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

crisann and southerncharm....what a beautiful group of plants!
    fcoffill got the seeds you sent today...Thank-you so much! yours are on their way as well.
    We are still getting rain here....think southerncharm is probably getting even more, all in all it wasent to bad of a storm, just some area flooding. We were all lucky this time.
    Red Im glad to hear your doing better too, you had me worried there for a bit.
    Everyone take care and keep us posted on your trades.

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

I recieved a lovely box of plants from Amy yesterday! She is a very generous lady!

She sent me
    Chinese Evergreen
    Rabbitfoot Fern
    Heartleaf Philo
    Variagated Spider (reverse of my monsters)

She also sent 'bonus plants'
    Red flowering Kalancho
    Sweedish Ivy
    Mystery Plant - which I beleive is a Peperomia (not sure which one yet)

These are all lovely live plants, not cuttings. She wrapped them beautifully too. I am very excited to have some new plants I probably would not have tried before!

Thank you Amy

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Wow Fran....looks like you got a really nice box of plants there!!!

I have got to find some of that sweedish ivy!!!

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Here is the pics of everything I got. :) Thanks again Crystal for being a great swap partner. :)

• ladygreensleeves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Another group of beautiful plants....congrats you too on a wonderful swap! I want to find one of those reverse spiders myself.
    fcoffill I sent your seeds and stuff out monday conf # 03080730000054846930. I just checked and it left Orlando yesterday....I swear Florida has the slowest postal system around. They must walk it from location to location. And I send everything priority too.....go fiqure! The term snail mail really applies here.

We are still getting rain bands from Faye. Which is fine by me.....plants are loving it and so am I and it helped cool things down. I hear that some of you as far north as South Carolina are now getting some of the rain bands as well.
    Was able to get several plants repotted and split yesterday and start some new cuttings. Ground is soft so is perfect for planting out my new Jasmines, a verigated Duranta and a purple Lantana.
    Hope everyone is doing well.

TTYL.....and keep us posted on your swaps Please ;0)

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for the nice comments Francis! I really enjoyed having you as my partner too. I was so excited when I got my box of goodies. I got a ton of new plants too and they are doing great. I got...

Yucca
    Parlor Palm
    Rubber Tree
    Peace Lily
    Dumbcane
    Arrow Vine
    x-mas/Thanksgiving cactus

she also sent me a couple of cuttings which are currently in my propagation box...

Fittonia
    Mandevilla

Thanks again for being such a great partner Francis! Oh, and thank you for the mystery plant identification. That is one of the first plants I've ever gotten. My mom has the parent plant and I've been trying to figure out what it is for years!! :-)

P.S. I really want to post a picture for all of you to see, but I don't know how. Can someone tell me how?

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Hello Everyone!

No rain here yet, (I am about 10 minutes from SC) but we have been basking in much cooler temperatures and some very pleasant breezes thanks to Faye!

I will be watching for the package, it should be here tomorrow! Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Frances

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

lol Amy we must have posted at the same time and I missed your post. Peperomia is one of the first houseplants I ever owned (way back when I was a starving college student xxxx years ago) I am not sure what peperomia it is, (there are several thousand varieties I think) but the leaf and stem is unmistakeable.

I really hope the mandevilla makes it (and that you will share your secret if it does) I love mandevilla and have had no luck with the cuttings. I did manage to overwinter it last year, but just barely.

Frances

• ladygreensleeves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello to all!

Amy to post pics gardenweb has a test forum http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/test/gal080858233293.html You also need something like photobucket to store your photos on. They have a free version you can download. You will then need to have two windows or tabs open at a time. Either a big mixed drink or a bottle of ibuprophen to deaden the pain and lots of patience.....lol. If you get stuck go to the conversation side of the forum and e-mail for help, someone WILL respond back to you shortly and help you with the process....hope this helps you.

Fcoffill wonder why your not getting any of the rain from Faye.....Sure has been dumping it on everyone else....weather channel said you guys should be getting some of it. Then again....my parents hardly got a sprinkle and they are just north of where it came in at and others are floating away....weird huh.
    To propagate mandavilla cuttings take each node cutting and dip in rooting hormone. Pot in a 50-50 mix of peat and vermuculite water and cover. Roots in a month or so. diegO has it made in the shade with a propagation box....I'm green with envy girly!
    Red where ya hiding.....you doing ok and feeling better?

TTYL,

Regina aka LGS

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Regina!

I just finished oggling the contents of the package I received in the mail today!!!!!!! seeds!?!?!?! OMG cuttings!!!!! lol, thank you so very much, my DH thinks I have lost my mind! I potted up the plumeria cuttings immediately, still working out the best way to do the rest! I think I NEED A PROPAGATION BOX!!!!! I am so excited!

I will send you an email to thank you properly as soon as the dust settles around here! oh oh oh I am so excited (did I say that already???)

Hope you are all having a wonderful weekend!

Frances

• ladygreensleeves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fcoffill, your so very welcome, I have a jungle here....just wished it had gotten there faster! Hope everything does well for you.
    A propagation box will be the next biggy(chuckling)here. I can just hear the DH when I ask for that one!!! Really had to pour it on for the greenhouse.....hehehehe. Maybe I can find plans online for making one.

Been out working in the yard potting and repotting,checking for any damage from Fay, and have alot of new stuff sprouting up. But very little damage. Few broken branches on the Cherry Jubilee Allamanda and that was it. I expected to find broken limbs in the Royal Poinciana but not a one. That tree breaks a branch when 5 morning doves sit on it .....lol.

Sending out my box to my partner Monday or Tuesday, we have been busy communicating our haves and wants and both of us are drooling, neither of us can wait for our boxes to see what kind of goodies it will hold. I hope everyone else is having fun planning their swaps too.

Hope ya'll is having a good weekend.....bye for now.

Regina

• ladygreensleeves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello to all the plantaholics, did everyone have a nice weekend?
    We are back into our hot and humid sticky weather here now that Fay has come and gone. I hope she did'nt do any damage to anyone in N.Florida or Georgia.
    Also wanted to let anyone who is interested that the MNF has posted there September swap look for the NEW: new: mnf flowers, feathers and fun!!Posted by: lindaruzicka .The fun has already begun and everyone is welcome to join and they are trully the greatest bunch of folks to get to know and trade with. This months trade is bulbs and seeds. So no plant/cuttings unless your wanting too....lol

Tina_2 your box is on it's way....comformation #0307 1790 0000 5845 4193 and make sure you eat your spinach it's a heavy one (9 lbs 12 oz).....lol.

Well got some more planting to do...take care everyone.

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I haven't been able to look at this in a while. Regina, thanks for the link on how to post pictures. Wow, could they make it any more complicated?!? Ok, I have my glass of wine and I've taken a few deep breaths and here I go... (lol) Hope this works....

{{gwi:1292302}}

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

Doh! That didn't work like I expected - shoot!! I use Picasa web albums and I guess only Photobucket will work with GardenWeb. Ok, I just created a Photobucket account and I am going to try this again (while sipping more wine and breathing deeply) Hope this works...

• ladygreensleeves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeahhhhhhh way to go Amy great pic and great plants. Told ya you would need a drink or two to fiqure it out......lol. Wait till you want to add bold print and graphics....eeesssshhhhhh looks like algabra on steroids.....rotflol.

Well its been a long day of shipping plants and planting out a few too, time to call it a night. Take care everyone.

Regina

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

its raining! its pouring!

Yippeeeeee! I may not have to hand water for a week!

Great photo Amy, looks like your new plants are bouncing back nicely from their travels! I will tak a photo as soon as I can get to the gazebo without a rowboat!

Have a great day everyone!

Frances

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

AMY!!!

I got my package today from Amy with a separate swap we did based off of this swap.
    Man oh man.....I love my stuff!! lol
    She even made me plant tags...how awesome is she? :O)

Thank you for the trade!! I think you should be getting your box from me tomorrow!! I hope you LOVE IT! :O)

I'd post a picture of my new babies...but, I have to go buy some pots and soil!
    What's up with Lowe's taking down all the perilite and vermiculite? I NEED MY SOIL AMMENDMENTS!!! lol

• tehs
    15 years ago

Thanks to Chell and Amy for great swaps!

Chell sent me plants that made it safely through the heat wave!
    Adenium (Desert Rose)
    Hoya fungii
    Tradescantia Pallida (Purple Queen)
    Plumeria rubra
    She even threw in a bonus arrowhead vine!

Amy and I did a separate swap based off this swap. She shipped fast, and the cuttings were large!
    Purple velvet
    Arrowhead vine

Thanks girls, for great plants! Also for being accommodating with my mix-up in shipping your boxes!

TehShan

• tina_2
    15 years ago

Hi everyone. I just received my box of great plants, from my trader. They are amazing!!!! She sent, plummies, hoyas,lipstick plant, hibiscus, lemongrass, bengal vine, coleus and cuttings. I am soooo, overwhelmed by these great plants.
    I, am gonna get my neighbor to help me pot these up.
    I am so thrilled!!!!!! This was the most amazing swap.
    Thank you, everyone for making it fun and exciting!!!
    My trade partner was, Regina. She is the best person.
    We had several really fun emails and she is just a lovely lady to chat with. If she lived near me - I think we could be great friends! I do hope we can trade again.
    Regina - you are the best!!!!
    Thanks , again.

• ladygreensleeves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello everyone.
    We have all been busy this week sending and receiving boxes.
    Tina and I had fun deciding what we each wanted the most and it was not easy.....lol. We each had alot of goodies to drool over. I got some night blooming Cereus cuttings,Coral Shrimp plant, Cast Iron plant,Clivia,Kalachoe,some red Spider Lilly bulbs(will look awesome with my white ones)mixed Iris bulbs and some Crocosmia bulbs and some seeds for a Passion flower that bears fruit. Was a awesome swap. Thanks so much Tina for being a wonderful swap partner! Hope to trade again!
    Amy and I did a swap too. She is a wonderful plant swapper. Thanks for swapping Amy. I really liked the plants and the way you packed, labeled and shipped so fast! Whats your secret besides a long winter right around the corner....lol.
    Tehs, I'm glad to hear your swap(s) went great too.
    Sounds like everyone had a great time and got some great plants too.....Thanks everyone!

Regina
    aka...ladygreensleeves

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    I received a really nice box from Fran! I haven't been online in a couple of days, sorry. Over the weekend my Husband put in a new french door. Lots of work and dust! But, it looks really nice now that it's done. The french doors replaced a glass sliding door. Plus, we took a ghost tour/boat cruise last night with Richard Crowe (Chicago's ghost hunter). The tour started at 10pm and went until midnight. Lots of fun scary stories on the lake! Our kids came with us and LOVED it! After the cruise we went to the Billy goat grill (downtown Chicago) and had cheeseburgers. I love going downtown, we try to often. So, that's basically been my weekend! Oh and it's been really HOT here for the last week, so I've been watering everything constantly. I'll be so happy when it finally cools off. It's been such a hot summer!

On to Fran's box, or I'll keep typing! ;)
    Rhipsalis Micvanti? The ink smeared and it's a little hard to read. Color splash, Pink epi?, Light pink epi? Birthday wish, Hoya Bilobata, Acker Manii, Hoya Rubra, Hoya Sulawessii, Hoya Snowcaps, King Midas, Better times (last two I think are Epi's).

Fran Thank you so much for the box! I love trading houseplants and can't wait to grow these over the winter! I'm working on your box tomorrow morning and will post the DC# when it goes out.

Hugs,
    Deb

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

Hello all,
    I have been out of town this weekend or I would have posted sooner. It has been like Christmas at my house for the last couple of weeks. :-) I have had so much fun packing up boxes for shipment and then waiting anxiously or the mail man to show up with my boxes of goodies!!

Fran (redheadedstepchild75) - I'm glad you liked the plant markers but I can't take credit for the idea, I got the idea from Tehs. All the plants I got from Tehs had plant markers. I thought it was such a nice touch and decided to start doing that on all my trades too. :-)

Thanks again for all the wonderful new plants, I can't wait to trade again.

-Amy

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Debby,
    I'm sorry the ink ran!
    Rhipsalis Micrantha, Color splash is an Epi...pink and light pink are NOID epis,King Midas and Better Times are both epis too.

All the Epis were treated with Clonex rooting gel...so tehy should all root like super duper fast!

Oh, the ackermanii is also an Epi. :O)

Amy, I am thankful to just have traded with such a nice person! :O)

I'm gonna have to find some of those plant tags though.....I found a tutorial on the web to make aluminum plant tags so that even if the sharpie washes or fades away....you still know what ya have!!
    It's so simple..I can't believe I didn't think of it on my own! lol
    I just have to find some s hooks.....I'm gonna imagine those would be in the beading section of the craft store or something.

I hope everyone had an awesome holiday weekend! Mine was boring! lol

Regina spent the weekend buying up goodies for Halloween! lol

BTW..... if anyone ever wants to talk plants or kids or whatever.....you can pm me..on y ahoo i'm on under fairskinnedgoddess75

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Fran,
    It was too hot to ship out anything today, 94*! A cold front is arriving tomorrow and will stay all through the week. Tomorrow's high is 73* and Thursday 64*! What a difference in temps! I'll send your box out tomorrow. I just didn't want to take a chance and have everything bake in the box!

Deb

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Deb,
    I understand...and, I am glad you waited!!

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

I was just checking so I could see if we were ready to start round 2.

I'll start a new thread for it. I was going to make a theme Fall colors...or plants that brighten up your indoor garden now that the outdoor one is winding down. :O)

Frances

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Wow fantastic packages are still flying around! What a great RR this was!

Brilliant Regina!

BTW, the Gardenia cuttings you sent have started to root already! (people told me these were imposible to start from cuttings) but I tried both in water and in peat/perlite mix and both sets are now setting roots! I am amazed, I usually kill woody cuttings!

Thanks again

Frances

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

FYI, I make my plant markers by cutting up old vinyl mini blinds. They are really easy to cut with scissors. (And I get them for free off of Craig's list.) Then you just have to use a pencil to write on them. It won't wash off or fade away in the sun either! Amazing.

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

My package went out, yay! USPS priority # 0307 0020 0003 4317 6039.

It's sooo nice out today, cooler weather finally arrived!

Deb

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

My husband told me that he had read in the paper that if Hanna follows the predicted path that those who be have stated....by the time it hits us, it will still be a category 1 hurricane.
    So much for wantning more rain! lol I only wanted rain!!!! hehe

I hope its just rainy!! I haven't been able to acclimate my plants to being indoors yet...a sudden change might not be something they like....not to mention my wandering jew is now host to some wasps

• chellflower
    15 years ago

Oops! I've been so busy working lately that I forgot to post on the forum!

Tehshan sent some great plants for the swap! Each with its own plant marker included!

Begonia Richmondensis
    Rex Begonia
    Lipstick Plant "Holiday Bells'
    Goldfish Plant 'Encore'

I also got a nice bonus box (Teshan let us keep the 'mix ups'!)

Episcia "Ronnie'
    Streptocarpus 'Lavender Lady'
    Lipstick Plant 'Orange'

All plants were packaged nicely and arrived in great shape!

Thanks Tehshan!!!

Okay LGS, I have lots of houseplants that need trimming...ready for round #2 !?!?! LOL

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Everyone sent such nice boxes! This has been a really fun swap! Our weather has cooled off, our nights are in the 50's, highs low 70's. I'm ready to do this again too! Usually I can trade for another month (all of October for plants.) Snow usually starts in November.

Deb

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Debby,
    I got my box today....I thought I had died and gone to Hoya heaven!!! :O)

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

I am really wanting to do another swap too.....I think I'm just gonna post another Plantaholics fall houseplant swap and hope for some more wonderful participants!!
    I'm gonna go work on the rules now!! lol
    I'll post in a little bit!

• ladygreensleeves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow everyone wasent this swap fun!

Sorry I have been away...mil had surgery on her back, and the guys work, so Im the one who gets to be with her. I don't mind she does alot for us in her own little way.

Amy, I thought thats what your marker were made from as Ive heard about doing that before. Just have to find some blinds somewhere now. And thanks for the propagation instructions too. I now have the making for my own. And all the plants you send are doing great as well,except for the banana pup, that one is kinda iffy yet, still holding in there but hopefully will make it.

Fcoffill....Gardenias are some of the easiest cuttings to start. I've started them both ways too. My best way is too stick them in a pot under where the AC drips, they root everytime!

Looks like we will be starting up a second RR and Miss Red will be our host for this one.

I want to Thank everyone for making this first one such a success and hope to see ya at the second one....Ya'll take care now and Thanks again......Oh and if ya want to chat at me I can be found at the yahoo place under bl_topaz.

Regina aka ladygreensleeves aka plantwhore....rotflol
    or on yahoo bl_topaz