Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plantaholics Anonymous Houseplant Swap #1 Cont.

Posted by ladygreensleeves 10(Fla) (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 08 at 0:52

Wow ya'll we made 150 posts! woo-hoo.....And soon we will be swapping too double woo-hoo.

How is everyone coping with the heat? It's been terrible here....up in the high 90's and just making it miserable to be outside during the day.

I started some more plummie cuttings today, but was just too hot to do much.They are big ones too,so I hope they make it. I've never tried starting big cuttings so we will see how they do and if they will root. Still have quite a few more to start yet(and trade). There is a plummie farm not too far from me I want to check out. Maybe in the next day or two I'll get over that way. The ones I started from seeds have sprouted as well, and I have gotten some seedlings from a neighbors tree too! I wish I had seen the seed pods!

Well hope everyone is doing ok....later ya'll

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plantaholics Anonymous Houseplant Swap #1 Cont.

It's pretty hot for sure! Haven't been spending too much time out there during the day. Pretty much only go out there in the early morning and late evening.

Thats alot of posts! LOL I can't wait to swap!!! Did I get my answers even close?

Could it be a Mouse-ear cress
or poppy?
Or Duck Weed?

o

Hot as heck here too, high 90s feels even hotter, supposed to get some rain later though, and some cooler (mid 80's) for the rest of the week! Sheesh, can't believe I am looking forward to 'mid 80s' ha ha ha the mosquitos, yellow jackets and ants are having a riot out there.

Frances

o

fcoffill,
I didn't even think about what you were saying...if you want to go to the swap in Greer...I surely do not mind carpooling with you! I don't mind picking you up...I'm not very far from Gastonia.

We are a bunch of talkers, aye? lol
I can't wait to swap either!!! I got a new plant today while I was at Home Depot...Alsobia Dianthiflora and it's blooming these really pretty white feathery blooms!
I also got a garden cultivator......we will see how that works. lol

o

Smallest plant including roots, stems, and leaves?
fungi
spores

This is the best I have for now..lol

:) Fran

o

Red! that would be really great, if you are sure you do not mind, I wasn't fishing for an invite, if you don't mind the company and some help with the gas, I would love it. :O Of course if it doesn't rain soon I may not have anything to swap! hmmmmmm.

Actually would be great, curious to know are you and Elaine still planning a local swap, I have some plants for her (WAY TOO BIG for the mail) I am going to be in Clover every other sunday till the peaches run out! I could drop them off or meet you at the Peach Tree

The sky has turned dark, the cicadas are singing, i really hope its going to rain!

Frances

o

Elaine and I are still working on the plant swap...we are tying to find a place to have it now.

I surely do not mind you going with me! Then my car won't look so empty when I pull in and unload! lol Cuz, I hardly have anything at all!
I was going to go buy some plants just to have something to take that people actually wanted.....that's how pathetic my garden looks right now!
Well....pathetic is harsh...I just am now starting to work the soil....so it's just that i'm new.

I have a picture to share on that note!!
Photobucket

I can meet you at the Peach Tree if you want me to take Elaine the plants....I have to meet with her to swap some stuff out anyway...so I don't mind!!

Maybe I can convince her to trade me one of those monsters for all my african violets...I'm just not as into them as I was before I moved. lol

Ncgardengirl.......how do I get to the Shelby free mulch? Eric said he'd take me tomorrow and fill up some big huge bins we have...then come home and work it into the bed he's working on for me. I'm lucky to have him helping me! I tired to use that cultivator....it's hard! lol

o

DONE!! One monster spider for AV's!! I just love y'all! (Red, only if you were serious. :)

I just looked at googlemaps and I think it'd make more sense for me to pick up Fran in Gastonia and meet Red in Clover if we can fit 3 peeps and our truckload of plants in one car. It's on my way and would be back-tracking for Red. I'm pretty sure I'll be going. Y'all are sweet to work out the hand-off of the monster spiders! I'm not in a hurry to get them.

I'm off for the evening!
-Elaine

o

Hey Elaine,
I'm totally serious! I don't want these to die...but, I am moving on to other plants now. lol
I used to have one window to put plants in.....so they were compact and had flowers...something none of my other plants had.
Now that I've got a billion windows...I thik i'm gonna try some other things. lol

If you'd like all of them...you are more than welcome tothem! I must have....atleast 10....morethan likely more than that!

If three of us go in my jeep...I can fold down one of the seats in the back and we will have the same amount of room I had today picking up a twin sized mattress with the door shutting. lol So....a lot of room in other words! hehe

Elaine....what are you taking to the swap?...Fran...what are you taking to the swap? lol
Ncgarden girl...what are you taking to the swap? lol

o

Red, what time are you planning on coming to Shelby?
You have to be in before 10 am for them to load it...if you can make it before then email me and I will tell you where to meet me and you can follow the rest of the way...
Google the best way in for you, whether it is up Hwy 18 which I am sure it is...

Do it quick so I can talk with you about it...:) Fran

Frances, do you get the email I sent you about the Triad Swap? There is some talk about carpooling up there. It will be Oct. 4.

I am working on my taking to the swap list now, I am starting some stuff and I hope it will be big enough to take by then.

And you know I have started the your want/have list on the Carolina Gardening forum.

I think my new house plant is pretty, it has varigated patterns in the leaves...(the phylo)I was talking about.

Red, u asked my about which one I am looking for, yes it is the Split leaf...

o

Fran
I didn't get your message (or the spam filter ate it, more like) But I don't think I can do both swaps, I am really hoping one swap will clean me out, after that the bulb in tuber swap in the fall and I am good till spring. I think they do another swap in the spring and maybe I could do that one. Be nice to meet some of those folks, lots of them have helped me cope with gardening in the south! ha ha ha

Red, not sure what I will be bringing, some astilbe for sure, a silver lace vine, possibly a couple of PeeGees, sweet potato vine? some Ivy leafed Geranium, possibly some yarrow (better get those started) have to take a look at peoples trade lists and see what they might be looking for that I have. (Also have to see what's going to survive this heat!)
Elaine If you are going to pick me up, you may as well just get these spiders on your way home from the swap! You will still have plenty of time to aclimatize them to moving indoors before it gets cold (they don;t like temperatures much below 45-50F range) What I would like (if you don't have something to swap, is some hanging baskets to replace the ones they are in, if you have something, doesn't need to be fancy, these are just the cheapos from lowes, under $3) Pots are a real premium around here, especially the larger sizes, 12" PLUS

Anyway off to soap down some aphidsbefore it gets too hot

Have a great day!

Frances

o

Ncgardengirl is the bestest ever!!!
She and her sweetie brought me a truckload of mulch...and some plants today! How awesome is that?

YOU ROCK MY SOCKS OFF!!! :O)

RED

o

AWE That is way awesome! That was so generous! You ladies on this forum really are the BEST! :) Red, Whatcha gonna do now with all that mulch and what plants didya get??? So cool. :) Talk about the bestest house warming gift ever! Fran that was the sweetest!

o

Well that is a fantastic housewarming present! Very kind indeed Fran!

I just came home from Lowes where they actually had some nice plants in the scorch and burn section! a Full RACK of Spirea marked down to half price! Anthony Waterer, GoldMound and Shirobana and some others too. I have been wanting a shirobana (multicoloured blooms) but didn't really want to pay $13 - $20 they charge for the three gallon plant (I am notoriously CHEAP) I got the Shirobana today for $6.00 I would have bought every one of those plants, (but I can just see my DH face if I tell him he has to dig 20 or 30 holes big enough for a 3gallon plant!!!)) He will kill me for sure!

Any way gotta run, more later

Frances

o

Oh my gosh, she didn't mention she sent me home with a box of goodies either.

I started taking the stuff out and felt bad cuz I only gave her a few, but she had BUNCHES of cuttings and actual plants, AND SEEDS TO BOOT!!!

Thank you girlfriend...that was so awesome to find all those babies...now you need to give me names...LOL...

Oh, I got all the cuttings potted as soon as I got home too..

o

Red- hmmm, what am I taking to the swap in Sept.... probably more of the usual suspects- aloe, Christmas cacti cuttings, I can root some ivy, my little plantlets, nothing spectacular.... Also, I'm not planning to bring home a car full either, so you other 2 can have my allocated space, haha!!

Fran- sounds good about the spider plants. Red wants one, so we can bring her one and I'll get the other on my way back.

How many do we have for the round robin now? Sounds like a great group!

o

Me either Elaine, I am hoping someone will take all of these plants and give me one really super drought tolerant plant that will fullfill all my landscaping needs, smell and look great, be bug, rabbit, bird and squirrel proof and only require watering once a year! ha ha ha! Oh yea It should have enormous multicoloured flowers all year round too! oh oh oh and be equally happy in full sun or shade....

I don't want much!

lol

There has been so much chit chat, almost forgot about this swap! I would say 10 or 11 are signed up. I hopw it is soon, I have made all my cuttings, just waiting to see who I am sending to pack em up.

Frances

o

I am so excited about all the swaps! lol
I can't wait to get some outside plants in the ground!!!
I am going to be making a butterfly/hummingbird garden up around my house in the front.....so maybe I'll be able to find some monarda and butterfly bush...and all those other lovelies!! lol

I am going to be taking some Epi cuttings that will hopefully by then have taken root....some Hoya cuttings.....philo and pothos cuttings....and I have some amaryllis bulbs that are babies...but, they are big enough to bloom this Christmas I think.

I will have bought some things by then too for the outside...so I'll have some divisions of something for the outside.

o

Just curious...what date are we planning on shipping for this swap?

Deb

o

If I read correctly on the last thread, swap partners will be posted on the 15th and everything should be mailed out by the 30th. Correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't gone back to double check yet. :)

o

Red
don't get me wrong I love butterfly bush, but if you want butterflies get LANTANA, I have 3 butterfly bushes, but butterflies zoom right by it if they see lantana (honest) It is not invasive in Zone 7. Lowes had tones of the gold one which seems to be perennial (tender) around here on sale last week. I only have one of the gold ones, my fave is the red I know in Florida and Texas they have real problems with Lantana, but here in Zone 7 we get hard freeze in winter and that can kill it if not properly mulched or freeze last for extended period.

Lilac also gets a lot of attention at my house but it has a limited bloom time.

I sometimes have more swallowtails than I do flowers! If you love hummers too, don't forget lots of red flowers! Salvias, lantana, native honeysuckle (not the common yellow stuff). I also just got a trumpet creeper (I know invasive) but native and very popular with both bird and butterflies. Added bonus, can really take the heat without moping.

anyhow have fun, I remember my own excitement last year..... so many plants, so much virgin space.........

Frances

o

Hi, I would like to join in the August round robin. I've never done this before and I'm very excited to try it out. I compiled this list based on other's wants and have lists. I have lots of plants though and didn't list even close to all that I have. If I see someone post a "want" of something else that I have, I can let you know. I'll do my best to keep up on all the postings here! :-)

---------------have--------------
purple queen
pathos (green and golden)
Christmas cactus
arrow vine
wandering jew (purple or green)
Polka Dot Plant
purple velvet
African Violet (white, pink or purple)
Elephant Bush
Jade Plant
Kalanchoe (Mother of Thousands) red
Bolivian Jew
Coleus
heart-leaf Philodendron
swedish ivy (green and variegated)
spider plant (green or variegated)
Cuban oregano (variegated)
pregnant onion

---------------want-----------------
String of Pearls
Rosary Vine
Hoya (any)
Ric Rac cactus
Philodendron Brazil
Orchids
Yucca
Bougainvillea
Episcia 'Ronnie'
prayer plant
pitcher plant
agave
Mandevilla
Bromeliad
Emerald Ripple Peperomia
Wax Plant
cast iron plant
zebra plant
clivia

Thanks,
Amy

o

Hey Amy...welcome to the swap!!!! Sound like you have a little something everyone wants! :O)

Feel free to jump in and chat....we are a talkative bunch! lol

Deb, The sign-ups end on the 15th and we will recieve partners.... and the swap has to be mailed by the 30th.

I am going to plant some lantana for sure Frances!! lol
I made a new wants and have list...and now I can't remember how to update my list on my page...cuz i'm a huge airhead! Can someone help me...again? lol

o
I figured it out!

Changed my haves and want list on my profile! lol All by myself like a big girl!! woohoo

o

We are Welcoming diegO1991 to our houseplant swaps. So happy you found us and decided to join in.

Debbya...partners will be posted on the 15th....and swapping to commense and be completed (hopefully) by the 30th.

Still time for any lurkers (lol) out there who wish to join in, we would love to have ya!

So far we have:

ncgardengirl(Fran)
chellflower(Chell)
redheadedstepchild(Frances)
debbya(Debby)
tehs(Tehs)
southerencharm(Kathy)
tina_2(Tina)
fcoffill(Frances)
laineyplantgrower(Elaine)
happyseed(Sonja)
crisann(Crystal)
diegO1991(Amy)
ladygreensleeves(Regina)

The anwser to the trivia question, What is the smallest plant with root,stem and leaf? Ever seen a pond covered with what looks like a green mat or film ? It's called Duckweed, each one being a seperate little plant. Southerncharm takes the points for the only one with a correct guess.

Points are:

Southerncharm has 4o points
ncgardengirl has 50
fcoffill has 30
laineyplantgrower has 10

Question 14:
Can anyone tell me why do we kiss under the Mistletoe?

Have A wonderful weekend everyone!!!

o

Kissing Under Mistletoe
As far back as ancient Rome, couples used the kiss to seal a betrothal. Couples kissing under the mistletoe were assured of fertility and good fortune. The plant contains progesterone, the female sex hormone. A gentleman would pluck one berry for each kiss on a maiden's cheek. When the berries were gone, no more kissing. The word 'mistletoe' in Celtic means 'All-heal.' Celts believed it to heal the sick, make any living creature fertile, and bring good luck.

o

Fran, Wow, that's very interesting! I love the history behind some of these questions. Did I miss what all you got the other day? Gosh I'm so nosy, but excited for you all the same! :)

Amy, welcome! Glad to have you join us! You do have quite a nice list there! :)

Red, Good job figuring out how to set up your list! It just *looks* intimidating. giggles...

Frances, it's funny that you should mention Lantana, we have it everywhere here. I've only seen pink and gold, very pretty and very strong scent! I have noticed that the pink is sweeter than the gold that has a stronger musky citrus like scent. Weird, but they do the trick to draw butterflies like crazy! :)

I'm so jealous, I've never saw a Hummer here. In the last week my MIL and her bestfriend have been visited by one! Have to get some red out there now that I know they live around here! LOL

Hope you all are having a great weekend!

o

SC1,
I have a cypress vine, it has tiny red blooms on it, if it gets big enough to set seed I will send you some. It is a Hummer magnet as well.
I will wanr you though, it can and will reseed very much, don't plant it near anything you don't want it to seed in.
I would fix a stop out in the middle of and area by itself to do it's thang...

I placed it here where I don't intend on planting anything else, so if it reseeds it is fine.

It is a pretty vine, it has lacy foliage, and once it starts blooming, it will bloom it's little head off until the first frost.

Are you talking about the plants I got from red? Cause if you are I have no idea what most of it was.
Except, a LARGE sage plant, some nice rosemary, and some lovely lavender (provence). She sent me home with some epi cuttings, a rope hoya I have wanted for years, purple wandering jew, OHHH, OHHH, OHHH and what I asked for somewhere else on here a SWISS CHEESE Philodendron ....YEAEEEH...
and, and, and oh a start of Silver Dollar plant and gosh some other things I have no idea what they are...

Yes, I am happy with that...lol.

Again, Red, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I still need some names of some of this stuff, if you know them, there was a cutting of a purple stemed plant, it was pretty tall, do you have a clue what is is?

o

Speaking of Hummers, I looked out my kitchen window this morning and there he was, worrying my 'Granpa Ott' morning glories to death, then he spotted the hyacinth bean vine and spent four or five minutes feding on that (so happy now that I planted those there)! I just love them, so glad I decided to plant for them rather than doing the feeder thing, hate dealing with the sticky mess, fighting the ants, yuk! flowers are much better!

Have a great day everyone!

Frances

o

Ncgardengirl....I'll im you the link to my flickr account...it has pictures and descriptions and names of all my plants. lol
Told ya...I just get things together...get to doing something else and forget what i'm doing. lol

If I have anything else you want...by all means let me know!
If you have any extra cypress vine seeds after you trade with Frances...could I have some too?
My aunt used to have one of these vines....she searched hi and low for it for years...this was back in like '92.
I remember going on the hunt with her when I was a sophmore in high school looking for that plant! lol

It would mean a great deal to me if I could find some to remember her by to put in my garden....but, only if you have a few extra.

o

Wow, Fran that sounds like a LOAD of wonderful plants!!! I'm so jealous! ;) I would really LOVE to have some of that Cypress Vine seed if you get some off of it! If you do let me know if I have anything on my trade list that you want. I really need to update it. I've gotten so many seeds lately I'm not sure what to do with all of them! ROFL!!!

o

Hey redhead I have cypress vine seeds if you want them ...I have several of the vines and have been harvesting the seeds for a couple of weeks now. I have red and will have some white too very soon. Also have moonvine seeds fresh from the vine too if you are interested in some of them.
Who else is wanting some I have plunty and willing to enable.......whoooohooohaaahaaahaaaa. I'll go out later and collect more.
Got to run hubs wants to go shopping...yeah!!!! I'll post more too then . Bye for now everyone.

o

Oh Regina...that would be AWESOME!!!

I'd love some!You can take a look at my list and see if I have anything you want! :O)

o

Hey Regine,
I would like to get some of the white cupress vine and moonvine, I have the datura moon plant, but I want the vine. I saw it and it is beautiful. Thanks for offering them.
Do I need to send you postage? LKM,

Red, thanks for the link, it helps a lot. Oh, and Red, that Pregnant onion I offered you on the other post, is actually smaller than what you have growning now, these have NO top growth at all. And they are tiny, about the size of a green pea,,,really.

SC1, I was shocked to find all the things she had tucked in there...lol, and pleased as punch.

o

Regine I would love any colour of cypress vine seed. PLMK if you still have some and were I can send postage! or if there is something on my list you might like in exchange. My seed collecting frenzy is in high gear right now.

Here are some photos of my crispy garden, some of the creatures who visit there and a few from the DSBG (Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens)

Here is a link that might be useful: Frances crispy PLUS :)

o

Frances,
Your pictures are gorgeous! I'm so jealous!!! You have Cleome! :)

Here are some of mine....

Here is a link that might be useful: RED's Plants

o

Frances, those are some beautiful flowers! You must have some camera! :) I love the garden, it reminds me of mine. Small and cozy!!! :) Your home is beautiful too! Thanks so much for sharing, it brings everything to life when you see it.

I was wondering if it were possible to put Cypress vine with Morning Glory and Moon Vine? I think that would just pop if it would grow together! :) If not maybe I can get it to grow up my palm tree, poor thing is just sitting there all lonely! LOL

o

Thank you, I really need a new camera (at least thats what I keep telling myself) lol, cameras are a real weakness for me! The yard is small only 1/3 of an acre, more than enough for us, kids grown and gone and all.

Red if you would like some cleome I will bring you some seeds when I see you, fabulous self seeding annual. Actually I may have some small ones (1-2 feet) coming up in the back of the bed where I grew them last year, still plenty of time for them to give up lots of seeds and flowers, I'll let you know!

I grow Moonvine and MorningGlories together (especially Heavenly Blue) the flowers are vary close in size and the blue and white are 'Heavenly' together. I think cypress would look good too, the folliage is beautiful, I think that feathery folliage mixed with the heart shaped leaf of Morning Glory and Moon vine would be really interesting and oooh Patriotic too (Red White and Blue Flowers!) I don't think any of those plants is very picky about soil as long as they have lots of sunshine.

Frances

Here are some more flowers (and garden pets or is that pests :O)
Frances

Here is a link that might be useful: Earlier in the season

o

Frances...you have some gorgeous plants! I think my very favorite pic is the squirrel and the birds at the bath together! lol

I am going to figure out where they sell lily bulbs this fall....and get some lilies in my garden too...I LOVE them!

I would love to have some seeds from your cleome! That was another one of my aunts favorite plants! I wish I had some pictures I could share of her garden! When the people bought her house....they ripped everything up...I couldn't bear to go by there anymore...she had worked so hard to get her yard just how she wanted it.
I still wish my ex husband and I would have bought her house. We were going to, and then let my dad live in the top part and us in the bottom part....but, my ex was one of those people who couldn't not have a brand new house. rrrrr
I can only imagine what we would have gone through had we bought it at our divorce....that wouldn't have been good. lol
I am going this weekend to my dads house...let me see if I am able to get anymore goodies like seeds and such.
He is dividing his plants with me this weekend. :O)

o

Red
Lilys are my favorite flowers, check out Lowes, they had a ton of Daylily in the scorch and burn dept on Friday for a buck, someone had pulled all of the tags, but for a buck, who cares what their name is! (propbably a popular cultivar or they wouldn't have yanked the tags) Lily bulbs lots of places sell them, check Brecks though, they have a great coupon for new customers, Brecks.com. avoid their perennials (really have not had a good experience0, but their bulbs are FANTASTIC. I am chomping at the bit to get my Daffodils, I ordered 100 giant Mixed for 40.00.

Like I said though their prices seem high, but if you are not happy EVER they will send you new plants. Overall I have found them very nice to deal with.

Also check Lily Auction dot com ! I have picked up some fantastic deal there!

Also does anyone here grow Brugs or Datura

I have bought a brug, how do I make it flower?!?!? It is about 3feet tall, looks happy, no flower.

My datura are covered in Buds, I planted them in a pot, can I move them to the garden? or are they going to freak out?

More later any help appreciated.

Frances

o

Frances your plant are awesome, I love the hibiscus...it is so big and beautiful..And the yellow rose awwww, what can I say? Speechless....
Is that Honeysuckle Vine growing on that fence? Can you root that?
The daylilies and the lilies...ummm, speechless again..
wow, you've done something not a lot of ppl can...lol, me speechless.
Everything looked great...can you say jealous?,,,LOL

o

Thanks Fran and Red, that trumpet honeysuckle was a small plant last year, just took off this, its the native, I have tried several times to root some, no luck yet, maybe someone with more patience than I have could try it. I don't mind taking cuttings. Unlike the common Japanese, that spreads all over this one does not, doesn't send underground runners, or set roots, I have tried layering it several times, no sucess. It doesn't have any smell, but the hummers just love it! I will try and collect some berries this fall, if the birds leave any!

Thanks again

Frances

o

Wow, what gorgeous pics...I would share mine, but GW says they are too big. What do I want for the cypress seeds....hmmm a addy to start.....lol. Ummm anyone have seeds for a passion vine? A clematis(jackmanii)...kiwi vine....can u tell I love vines....lol.

Brugs (angel trumpets) bloom after they have formed a y in the branches. It's on those branches they bloom. The first bloom may only be a few, next one will be alot. Mine is planted out and is fertilized monthly with weed and feed. Also has a thick amount of mulch around it. It was started from cuttings and now stands about 4 ft. And has bloomed twice for me now. This is it's first year planted out. I don't think it's over a year old yet. I have a cutting of a yellow one I need to repot into a larger pot now that it has rooted. I have some I started from seeds too.

I think I would let the Datura bloom before planting out. Enjoy the blooms first. With the heat and transplant shock you will be risking the loss of those blooms.

I grow moonvine,cypress vine,and loofa all together. Or rather they have found each other...lol. It has created quite an interesting look between the differnt follage as well as 3 different color of flowers and sizes and sure did cover a ugly fence too. I have a purple sweet potato vine at the bottom....talk about contast....lol.

ncgardengirl gets the points for the correct answer for the last trivia question.

question 15:

Vermicompost is the end product of the breakdown of organic matter by what?

o
RE: Swaps

For anyone that might be interested in other R&R plant swaps the MNF (Making New Friends) September - "Flowers Feathers and Fun" Swap hosted by Linda/Lindaruzicka will be posting soon. The August "Garden Junk" was paired with partners this past weekend. This is a excellent and fun group of people to get to know. And they love making new friends. So keep your eyes open for Linda/Lindaruzinka's post.
Also there has been an interest shown to keep the plantaholics going. Who would be interested in hosting September? I know we have enough plants.....lol. Let me hear some feedback for hosting and months you would like to host please. I would be willing to host again in October.

o

Vermicompost is worm compost ;) Worm castings, said to be the very best sort of compost

Thanks for the tpi on the Datura, I was worried about those buds dropping if I transplanted it. The plants are starting to look a bit ridiculous right now (4 large plants in a single pot) they were so slow getting started, well not starting exactly, the seed popped right up in about 5 or 6 days, but they grew really slow at first. I was about to give up on them, then it rained and it was as if they grew a foot overnite! I will try to be patient with the brug. It is a yellow one I put it into a decorative pot yesterday, it has three big branches from a 1-1/2' trunk.

I have jackmanni seeds, (I alsom love vines, comes from having close neighbors and an ugly fence I think) fresh from the spring bloom. I'll gladly share, send me your address and I will send you mine!

Franes

o

Ya'll are lucky..I have NEVER and I mean NEVER gotten Datura to come up from seeds...NEVER, I don't know if I just have bad seeds or bad luck!!!

Yea Frances, you got the answer!!!...I want some worms, but just don't have the money to buy a bin and DON'T have the patients to make one!...I think I might though for houseplants next spring...I am sure they would love some worm poop...LOL.

Ummm, Frances, did you change your name?...lol (you signed it Franes, I have a habit of doing Frna if I type in a hurry...lol)

Regine I will send you my addy ASAP...thanks so much for the offer!, I love vines too, the more the merrier I say....

o

Fran if you drink coffee you can have worms, they seem to love it! I just dig a hole in the back yard, throw in some leaves dirt and coffee grounds, stirr it up once in awhile and "SHAAA-ZAAAM"! WORMS! lots and lots of worms! Every couple of months, I start a fresh batch, probably not the most efficient way to get compost, but 2 things I have a lot of, coffeeground and unwanted leaves, may as well use what I have!

lol, yup my fingers are definately dyslexic ha ha ha

Fran, If I get some seeds I will happily share some with you, I think your seed must not have been good, I found them ridiculously easy to start. I will take a picture and show you how big they get in one season from seed! I am just trying to figure out where to plant them, I do not want the neighbor kid to eat them or anything.
:O

Frances AKA Franes ha ha ha

o

Hello all,
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I just updated my trade list with more plants that I have to trade. I also added a few more to my want list. So check it out.

Regina, I would be interested in doing another trade in Sept. I might be able to trade in October too, but not much past that since I live in MN. :-(

-Amy

o

Regina,
I'll host for September!! :O)

I just did a seed trade for some passionvine seeds...if you would like some...I think she said she was sending 25 seeds.

Do you need my addy? hehe

Thanks for the tip on the daylilies FRan...I'll have to go and check that out! You can't beat a dollar!!!

o
HELLOOOOOO lol

I thought I'd give a shout out....to all my plantaholics.lol

It's raining...will be all day long...oh yeah baby!!! hehe

Will have new picks of my dressed flowerbed today...thanks to Ncgardengirl.....:O)

I also received some swaps and a couple of Ebay purchases.....of Epiphyllum. :O)

I have roots on most everything I'ce started......it's not hot outside..as a matter of fact it's almost slightly chilly.....life is good! :)

o

I'm so lonely! :O( lol

o

LOL Red! Everone is outdoors enjoying the weather!

Isn't the 'coolness' GRAND! and water supplied by Mother Nature! yippee! I have been outdoors, seeems a shame to waste this good weather. We wnt to lowes in Gastonia yesterday and grabbed and althea for 6.00 they still had tons of 3gal Spirea for 6.50 and a whole bunch more gallon size Daylilies for $2. All looking a little worse for wear, but who isn't at this time of year! ha ha ha!(I am thinning and trying to create a little order in the beds I have so that I can be ready for Fall planting this year. Last year I rushed like a mad woman to get everything in the ground and its a real jungle in spots! May Datura BLOOMED! and of course it it loaded with buds, so I expect plenty more flowers in short order.

Hope everyone is well!

Frances

o

I'm here! LOL :D I've been recovering from my Butterfly garden. Finally figured out how I wanted it and now it's finished! YAY! It's getting reallly close to swap time! I'm really excited about this one, Red no doubt you will be a wonderful host next month. :)

o

Well, I just wanted to share with everyone that as of yesterday our county is on mandatory water restrictions, no more watering the garden...and we have cantaloupes that are just starting to get to be nice sizes too. I am so disappointed. Don't know what my little seedlings are going to do now, I have a rain barrel of sorts but it isn't that large...

We have a well, but it isn't working right, I am hoping my SO can fix it and we won't lose our garden or any plants...
I think I am going to start washing dishes in a dish pan and save that water too..every little bit will help huh?

Wish I could save the bath water too! How does everybody else cope when you don't have rain and limited water supply?

Someone asked for pics of my plants too, I can't up load any pictures cuz I can't find my cord that connects my camera to my computer...it disappeared when we moved!!! I am so ill about that...I NEED my camera! Even though it is an old one it still worked good enough to post some pics on here!

o

Saving bathwater isn't that difficult, just requires schlepping back and forth with a bucket. Along with saving gray water, I will set up tan colored umbrellas or just a light tan material of some sort over my plants to help shade them, yet give them light, so that watering's not needed quite as much. Making sure you have plenty of mulch (I use wood) helps a lot too. Tree trimmers will usually deliver all you want for free or a very small fee. So if you could use another inch or two, I'd call one and find out, see, they usually have to pay to dump it at the landfills. Once they deliver it,if it's still a little "green" I'll sometimes spread it a little at a time over a tarp and dry it for a day or two, but usually I just go ahead and spread it and let it decompose naturally.

This was a real issue for me last week as well. We were still on the voluntary watering schedule, and I'm one of those people that takes that seriously and abides. But I really thought I was going to lose everything after we were hitting 100+ daily for three weeks and not having gotten more than a thumb your nose sprinkle in two months. At the frugal gardening and going green forums I learned lots of tricks and only lost a few seedlings that I was kinda forced to plant because I didn't have any larger containers for them to keep them under my gazebo, but they were looking rough from being overcrowded in their pot to begin with. Those umbrellas or shade tents (made from wire clothes hangers and very light, pale tan material) I think made all the difference. And then we finally started getting some rain! Thank Heavens!

If you want to know how I made the tents, just email me :)

Kathy

o

OMG!!! It's that time! Anyone who still has last minute thoughts of joining there is still a small amount of time. Or if someone wishes to drop out.....

Things have been so crazy this summer with running the boy to and from band camp, settling mil's estate, then she fell last week, so add daily trips to the home and shopping for her, gave her a treat today. Took my manicure stuff up and purdied her all up. Been studing too renew my license for nail tech as well.... it come due soon.
Picked up several bags of soil one day and the next day horse manure. Collecting seeds everyday from the garden as well as trying to prevent it from going crispy on me. And try to keep up with everyone one elses going on's. Wow...Im bushed (no pun) I have received your mail and addy's for the vine seeds, the white ones are mixed in with the red, but have tried to "mark" a vine or two that is white. They are not as plentiful and just seem to pop up here and there.

Time is precious in this household as I'm sure it is in yours as well.
School is back in session next week here....yea! So maybe....just maybe... things may slow down alittle. I can only hope, maybe then I can find a Doctor close by and get treatment for my back and neck for pain management.

I'll post partners and winners later tonite.....

o

I'm so excited to find out my partner I could just burst! :D
Regina, sounds like you've had your hands and car full lately! I remember band camp for marching band, those were the days. Hard work and lots of fun!!! :) I played clarinet, what does your son play?

Kathy and Fran, those are some wonderful ideas! Great way to conserve without sacrificing the garden!!! Also know what it's like not to know where the camera cord is! I almost lose it when it's misplaced. hehehe

o

AHHHHHHHHH...I can't take the suspense any longer! lol

I wanna know who my partner is! lol

My oldest is in the band this year....trumpet! :O)
He traded the neighbors son his guitar for his trumpet......I looked it up online and holy cow...this trumpet was expensive! lol

One thing down....Saturday is Soccer sign-ups. lol

o

Oh no SC1, Mine is not misplaced...it is M-I-S-S-I-N-G when we moved here it was supposed to be with my camera, there was a cord and I thought it was mine so I've kept it with my camera. I was going to use it 2 days ago and upload some pics that needed to be removed from the camera so I can do some puppy pictures and flower pics...well, it was the cord to my sons camera...which his camera doesn't work! So using his instead of mine is out...

I am so mad about my cord...and I can't replace it because this model camera is a 98 and it doens't have replacements available from Kodak...hey, light bulb just went on...maybe I could find one on eBay?!!!

I'll have to check...

In the mean time. I am waiting on my partner, I was going to drop out cuz Red gave me all the plants she gifted to me. BUT she said NO...you need more, so I agreed with her...LOL. Although my SO doesn't think I need more...

Also, I need a little more time then the 30th to send my plants, if this is a problem then I will excuse myself from the swap...It will be the 4th b4 I can send...

o

yep...good old Band camp...thank goodness this is his senior year, he has run us ragged with this band stuff, first marching band, then football band, then jazz band,add symphonic and any other band class he can conjure up...then he had to form a quintet...like we enjoy driving him all over creation because he doesnt want to take time to learn to drive(because then he will have to get a job to pay his car insurance).Drama!!!LOL He plays 3 different instruments....Tuba,thrombone,and susaphone. And has all kinds of awards and thropies. Most likely will get scholorships for his music also carries a GPA of 4.9 and has been the top of his class the last 3 years and may be the valivictorian of his graduating class.He is the youngest of 3 and has disaplined himself and pushed himself to succede. We are very proud of him and often are helping and volunteering with band functions...usually because we are already there.

ncg...good idea looking on ebay for the cord or try posting on graigslist for one??? or if u have a flea market nearby, I've seen the cellphone camera gadget booths at alot of them...just a thought.

ok are we ready for our partners???

Please contact ur partner and make arraingements for your swap. Remember its for 4 or more cuttings or rooted plants, and (not of all the same thing like 4 AV leaves)Please label them. Shipping priority is the best and fastest way to ensure arrival of plants. Contact your partner of shipment (and post) with a confirmation number so that they don't get lost ( you and your partner will be able to track them). When you receive your swap post and let the rest of us know what you got. It's between you and your partner to determine what and how much will be sent and if extra goodies will be added (like seeds,garden decor and other gifts of appreciation).

Also congrats to ncgardengirl with the most points collected (60) in the trivia questions. I will be sharing some rare and unusual seeds with her.

And most importantally have fun!!!

oh guess you want to know who ur partner are huh....HEHEHEHE

ncgardengirl & laineyplantgrower
redheadedstepchild & debbya
chellflower & Tehs
southerncharm & crisann
ladygreensleeves & tina_2
fcoffill & diegO1991
happyseed & ladygreensleeves

All right ya'll contact each other and swap away.

o

Amy please send me your address, I will send you mine!

(just a quick refresher since my Exchange list does not include Houseplants)

Want:
Low light loving plants (its dark in my house)
Don't want:
Indoor Flowering Plants (they wither and die when I look at them)

Off to check your list

Frances

Here is a link that might be useful: Trumpets and more

o
oh and by the way....

Elaine and Red

One of the last pictures at that link is one of the monster spider plants (the baby is on the bottom of the plant stand) The picture after that shows some of houseplant cuttings having a bath in the sink

Frances

Here is a link that might be useful: Slidesow again

o

Frances....that is a monster Spider! lol
It's gorgeous!!!
Let me know when you want me to drop these pots off with ya!! :O)

Debbya, I sent you a pm on here.....I am really excited about trading! :)

o

;) it is isn't it They've just started putting the babies on since they were repotted. Do you believe I don't do anything to those plants except repot once a year and ocassional water. No food, nada. they sit out there in the sun and multiply like mad things!

I have to start hacking at the pothos soon too, blasted thing was sending roots down through the carpet in the gazebo this morning! I wonder what would happen if I fed them and fussed over them!?!??!

You can bring the pots anytime, I am hoping to hold onto the plants though till your swap in September. Just let me know when you want to come to Gastonia so I can find some green goodies and have them ready for your new yard.

Frances

o

Wow oh wow, can u believe we got rain Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, yesterday, and now it looks as if it might just storm again? I can't blieve it...I need rain barrels and lots of them!!!

YAHHHH,,, RAIN!!!! It is thundering, I hope we get it, I am going out now to move a few things around to collect some water in...ever little bit helps!!!

o

Hi Francis,
I just sent you an email. Can't wait to trade!

Thanks,
Amy

o

I just sent Crisann an email! I'm very excited to trade! :) Hope you all get great goodies. :)

CONGRATS Fran on the trivia!!! Check with one of your local carwashes, I heard people ask for the barrels that window washing fluid comes in and use them. :) Or 5 gallon buckets from the bakery/deli at the supermarkets.

o

Southerncharm1,

AHHH -- we must have emailed at the same time -- I just sent one to you a few minutes ago -- HAHA!!

Can't wait to swap!!

o

I asked our car wash a few years ago and they were smart *$#es about it. They apparently do not have them or if they do they do not let the public have them cuz I was told sure swing on by they are in the back and we have some now, I asked how many they had, I was told a bunch. I hung up and drove all the way up there, there were not any to be found anywhere. I went to find the manager and ask him about them, I told him I was told they had some available to just come pick them up. He looked at me like I was stupid and said ma'am I don't know who told you that, but we do not have any for the public.

I and my SO was so very mad...I haven't tried to find any since then, although I went to a horse auction about a month ago and there was a guy who had some and sold them for 11.oo bucks each, too much for my blood...I think I know where I can find some for 5.oo each, I just remembered him, see GW gets me thinking. (LOL) I might have to go check into it again...

Thanks on the congrats, I am so sleep deprived I didn't realize I actually won....HEY I WON!!!!!! WAHHHOOOO..Yipppeee!!!

I can wait to get my prize...Thanks LGS...I appreciate it...

PLUS we "found" the camera cord today!!!...SC1, please don't make me tell you 'WHERE' we found it...I am so embrassed....the good news is, there was also one available on ebay!!!...lol

o

Fran, Those are beautiful spiders (and everything else too)! Thanks for offering, or um, pawning them off to/on us! ha ha! We'll see you on Sept 13, if not before!

o

Frances....If Thursday is good for you...it's good for me too. Sometime between 9:30-12:00...I have to be back here by 1:00 to take Eric to work...and pick up the boys from school.
Let me know if that works for you...or we can set up another time.:)

o

Fran, oh you know I am curious as a kitten now! I'm so glad that you found the cord, I hate losing anything. But I'll hold out on asking cause lord knows that I may get myself in all kinds of trouble again! I'm still in the time out corner so I have to behave! ROFLMBO!!! And whoever told you about the barrels was a jerk! *shakes head* Some people can be so darn mean... I did find someone selling them on craigslist here a few months ago, he had them for $5.00 each. I wouldn't mind paying that but for $11.00 I couldn't do it either. ;) Hey how about a kiddie pool? I used ours when summer first started and had so much water! :) I'm sure they have them on clearance somewhere!!! :)

Crisann, I emailed you back just a bit ago. :)

o

I have a new friend.

Photobucket

o

Re Thursday morning will be great! I'll e-mail you the address and phone (in case something comes up)

More in a bit, I am up to my elbows in muck

Lantana is a Butterfly magnet! I have one just like that about 5' tall....... I could happily have a dozen

well off I go more later

Frances

o

I so can not wait to swap!!!! :)

I have been looking forward to this for it seems like forever! hehehe

I went to Lowe's today in york......they had pots upon pots of lantana on clearance for 75 cent....so I took advantage of that!
They also had a great deal of their cactus on clearance too.....and they had the 4in mums...and I needed for inch pots...so I bought some mums for my porch for fall color....it took me forever to find the ones with tiny little buds....they all had popped open...Iwant some color come October! hehehe

I'm so excited about this Halloween......i've never had a big old porch to decorate before....it's gonna kick major booty! lol

o

• Posted by tehs 9 N CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 18, 08 at 0:30

Hi Chellflower,

I sent you an email yesterday. Looking forward to swapping with you :)

TehS

o

Red
Good catch on the Lantana! I love that plant! I usually grab a few even if they aren't flowering when they are on sale. I saw all of the mums, but it still seems a bit early to me! I havee to pinch back the ones I already have soon so they will be ready to bloom again this fall!

I am planning to send out my swap box today or tomorrow! Really looking forward to it!

Frances

o

Red, Great pic! Sounds like you got some great deals too! Good job! :)

Crystal I sent out your box today, I also sent you an email last night. :) Hope everything gets there safe and healthy! :) Let me know when it arrives. :)

The rain is starting to come in from this Hurricane/Tropical Storm. I hope the wind doesn't tear up all of my babies out there! Regina, stay safe!

o

Debbya,
Did you get my email? Just checking to make sure.

o

Amy
your plants are in the mail, I got a DC#, but it is in the car, have to post it later!

LadyGreenSleeves the Seeds are on their way to you.

Hope you are all safe and secure down there in florida, weather seems to be coming your way! Be safe

Frances

o

Debbya,
Please let me know if you still plan to swap.
I emailed you again......just let me know what is going on.
Thanks, Frances

o
Sorry I've been MIA

I had an allergic reaction to fire ants and have been in and out of it for the past two days.
Thank goodness for steroids and epi pens!!

Frances, Is Thursday still good for you?

o

Hi Red! had a bad fire ant moment this morning, for once I outran them! (I saw them, before they saw me) lol Hope you are feeling better those little creeps have me terrified of ants.

Guess I forgot to send the address, will do it now

Frances

o

HI
I recieved my plants from Southerncharm1 today, and have been busy getting them potted.
Even thought it's been hot, they all arrived nice and healthy. Thanks for the great plants, Southerncharm1!!
Hope everyone else has good luck with their exchanges!

Crisann

houseplants

o

Crystal I'm so glad that it all made it safe and alive! YAY! I got my box from you just a few mins ago. I have to get started getting them potted and then I'll post pics. Thanks for being a great swap partner Crystal. I'm headed over to Rate and Review now. :)

o

crisann and southerncharm....what a beautiful group of plants!
fcoffill got the seeds you sent today...Thank-you so much! yours are on their way as well.
We are still getting rain here....think southerncharm is probably getting even more, all in all it wasent to bad of a storm, just some area flooding. We were all lucky this time.
Red Im glad to hear your doing better too, you had me worried there for a bit.
Everyone take care and keep us posted on your trades.

o

I recieved a lovely box of plants from Amy yesterday! She is a very generous lady!

She sent me
Chinese Evergreen
Rabbitfoot Fern
Heartleaf Philo
Variagated Spider (reverse of my monsters)

She also sent 'bonus plants'
Red flowering Kalancho
Sweedish Ivy
Mystery Plant - which I beleive is a Peperomia (not sure which one yet)

These are all lovely live plants, not cuttings. She wrapped them beautifully too. I am very excited to have some new plants I probably would not have tried before!

Thank you Amy

o

Wow Fran....looks like you got a really nice box of plants there!!!

I have got to find some of that sweedish ivy!!!

o

Here is the pics of everything I got. :) Thanks again Crystal for being a great swap partner. :)

Photobucket

o

Another group of beautiful plants....congrats you too on a wonderful swap! I want to find one of those reverse spiders myself.
fcoffill I sent your seeds and stuff out monday conf # 03080730000054846930. I just checked and it left Orlando yesterday....I swear Florida has the slowest postal system around. They must walk it from location to location. And I send everything priority too.....go fiqure! The term snail mail really applies here.

We are still getting rain bands from Faye. Which is fine by me.....plants are loving it and so am I and it helped cool things down. I hear that some of you as far north as South Carolina are now getting some of the rain bands as well.
Was able to get several plants repotted and split yesterday and start some new cuttings. Ground is soft so is perfect for planting out my new Jasmines, a verigated Duranta and a purple Lantana.
Hope everyone is doing well.

TTYL.....and keep us posted on your swaps Please ;0)

o

Thank you so much for the nice comments Francis! I really enjoyed having you as my partner too. I was so excited when I got my box of goodies. I got a ton of new plants too and they are doing great. I got...

Yucca
Parlor Palm
Rubber Tree
Peace Lily
Dumbcane
Arrow Vine
x-mas/Thanksgiving cactus

she also sent me a couple of cuttings which are currently in my propagation box...

Fittonia
Mandevilla

Thanks again for being such a great partner Francis! Oh, and thank you for the mystery plant identification. That is one of the first plants I've ever gotten. My mom has the parent plant and I've been trying to figure out what it is for years!! :-)

P.S. I really want to post a picture for all of you to see, but I don't know how. Can someone tell me how?

o

Hello Everyone!

No rain here yet, (I am about 10 minutes from SC) but we have been basking in much cooler temperatures and some very pleasant breezes thanks to Faye!

I will be watching for the package, it should be here tomorrow! Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Frances

o

lol Amy we must have posted at the same time and I missed your post. Peperomia is one of the first houseplants I ever owned (way back when I was a starving college student xxxx years ago) I am not sure what peperomia it is, (there are several thousand varieties I think) but the leaf and stem is unmistakeable.

I really hope the mandevilla makes it (and that you will share your secret if it does) I love mandevilla and have had no luck with the cuttings. I did manage to overwinter it last year, but just barely.

Frances

o

Hello to all!

Amy to post pics gardenweb has a test forum http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/test/gal080858233293.html You also need something like photobucket to store your photos on. They have a free version you can download. You will then need to have two windows or tabs open at a time. Either a big mixed drink or a bottle of ibuprophen to deaden the pain and lots of patience.....lol. If you get stuck go to the conversation side of the forum and e-mail for help, someone WILL respond back to you shortly and help you with the process....hope this helps you.

Fcoffill wonder why your not getting any of the rain from Faye.....Sure has been dumping it on everyone else....weather channel said you guys should be getting some of it. Then again....my parents hardly got a sprinkle and they are just north of where it came in at and others are floating away....weird huh.
To propagate mandavilla cuttings take each node cutting and dip in rooting hormone. Pot in a 50-50 mix of peat and vermuculite water and cover. Roots in a month or so. diegO has it made in the shade with a propagation box....I'm green with envy girly!
Red where ya hiding.....you doing ok and feeling better?

TTYL,

Regina aka LGS

o

Regina!

I just finished oggling the contents of the package I received in the mail today!!!!!!! seeds!?!?!?! OMG cuttings!!!!! lol, thank you so very much, my DH thinks I have lost my mind! I potted up the plumeria cuttings immediately, still working out the best way to do the rest! I think I NEED A PROPAGATION BOX!!!!! I am so excited!

I will send you an email to thank you properly as soon as the dust settles around here! oh oh oh I am so excited (did I say that already???)

Hope you are all having a wonderful weekend!

Frances

o

Fcoffill, your so very welcome, I have a jungle here....just wished it had gotten there faster! Hope everything does well for you.
A propagation box will be the next biggy(chuckling)here. I can just hear the DH when I ask for that one!!! Really had to pour it on for the greenhouse.....hehehehe. Maybe I can find plans online for making one.

Been out working in the yard potting and repotting,checking for any damage from Fay, and have alot of new stuff sprouting up. But very little damage. Few broken branches on the Cherry Jubilee Allamanda and that was it. I expected to find broken limbs in the Royal Poinciana but not a one. That tree breaks a branch when 5 morning doves sit on it .....lol.

Sending out my box to my partner Monday or Tuesday, we have been busy communicating our haves and wants and both of us are drooling, neither of us can wait for our boxes to see what kind of goodies it will hold. I hope everyone else is having fun planning their swaps too.

Hope ya'll is having a good weekend.....bye for now.

Regina

o

Hello to all the plantaholics, did everyone have a nice weekend?
We are back into our hot and humid sticky weather here now that Fay has come and gone. I hope she did'nt do any damage to anyone in N.Florida or Georgia.
Also wanted to let anyone who is interested that the MNF has posted there September swap look for the NEW: new: mnf flowers, feathers and fun!!Posted by: lindaruzicka .The fun has already begun and everyone is welcome to join and they are trully the greatest bunch of folks to get to know and trade with. This months trade is bulbs and seeds. So no plant/cuttings unless your wanting too....lol

Tina_2 your box is on it's way....comformation #0307 1790 0000 5845 4193 and make sure you eat your spinach it's a heavy one (9 lbs 12 oz).....lol.

Well got some more planting to do...take care everyone.

o

Hi everyone,
I haven't been able to look at this in a while. Regina, thanks for the link on how to post pictures. Wow, could they make it any more complicated?!? Ok, I have my glass of wine and I've taken a few deep breaths and here I go... (lol) Hope this works....

plants

o
RE: trying again

Doh! That didn't work like I expected - shoot!! I use Picasa web albums and I guess only Photobucket will work with GardenWeb. Ok, I just created a Photobucket account and I am going to try this again (while sipping more wine and breathing deeply) Hope this works...

Plants from Frances (fcoffill) - August Swap

o

Yeahhhhhhh way to go Amy great pic and great plants. Told ya you would need a drink or two to fiqure it out......lol. Wait till you want to add bold print and graphics....eeesssshhhhhh looks like algabra on steroids.....rotflol.

Well its been a long day of shipping plants and planting out a few too, time to call it a night. Take care everyone.

Regina

o

its raining! its pouring!

Yippeeeeee! I may not have to hand water for a week!

Great photo Amy, looks like your new plants are bouncing back nicely from their travels! I will tak a photo as soon as I can get to the gazebo without a rowboat!

Frances

o

AMY!!!

I got my package today from Amy with a separate swap we did based off of this swap.
Man oh man.....I love my stuff!! lol
She even made me plant tags...how awesome is she? :O)

Thank you for the trade!! I think you should be getting your box from me tomorrow!! I hope you LOVE IT! :O)

I'd post a picture of my new babies...but, I have to go buy some pots and soil!
What's up with Lowe's taking down all the perilite and vermiculite? I NEED MY SOIL AMMENDMENTS!!! lol

o

• Posted by tehs 9 N CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 29, 08 at 1:50

Thanks to Chell and Amy for great swaps!

Chell sent me plants that made it safely through the heat wave!
Adenium (Desert Rose)
Hoya fungii
Tradescantia Pallida (Purple Queen)
Plumeria rubra
She even threw in a bonus arrowhead vine!

Amy and I did a separate swap based off this swap. She shipped fast, and the cuttings were large!
Purple velvet
Arrowhead vine

Thanks girls, for great plants! Also for being accommodating with my mix-up in shipping your boxes!

TehShan

o
RE: my trade partner is amazing!

Hi everyone. I just received my box of great plants, from my trader. They are amazing!!!! She sent, plummies, hoyas,lipstick plant, hibiscus, lemongrass, bengal vine, coleus and cuttings. I am soooo, overwhelmed by these great plants.
I, am gonna get my neighbor to help me pot these up.
I am so thrilled!!!!!! This was the most amazing swap.
Thank you, everyone for making it fun and exciting!!!
My trade partner was, Regina. She is the best person.
We had several really fun emails and she is just a lovely lady to chat with. If she lived near me - I think we could be great friends! I do hope we can trade again.
Regina - you are the best!!!!
Thanks , again.

o

Hello everyone.
We have all been busy this week sending and receiving boxes.
Tina and I had fun deciding what we each wanted the most and it was not easy.....lol. We each had alot of goodies to drool over. I got some night blooming Cereus cuttings,Coral Shrimp plant, Cast Iron plant,Clivia,Kalachoe,some red Spider Lilly bulbs(will look awesome with my white ones)mixed Iris bulbs and some Crocosmia bulbs and some seeds for a Passion flower that bears fruit. Was a awesome swap. Thanks so much Tina for being a wonderful swap partner! Hope to trade again!
Amy and I did a swap too. She is a wonderful plant swapper. Thanks for swapping Amy. I really liked the plants and the way you packed, labeled and shipped so fast! Whats your secret besides a long winter right around the corner....lol.
Tehs, I'm glad to hear your swap(s) went great too.
Sounds like everyone had a great time and got some great plants too.....Thanks everyone!

Regina
aka...ladygreensleeves

o

Hi Everyone,
I received a really nice box from Fran! I haven't been online in a couple of days, sorry. Over the weekend my Husband put in a new french door. Lots of work and dust! But, it looks really nice now that it's done. The french doors replaced a glass sliding door. Plus, we took a ghost tour/boat cruise last night with Richard Crowe (Chicago's ghost hunter). The tour started at 10pm and went until midnight. Lots of fun scary stories on the lake! Our kids came with us and LOVED it! After the cruise we went to the Billy goat grill (downtown Chicago) and had cheeseburgers. I love going downtown, we try to often. So, that's basically been my weekend! Oh and it's been really HOT here for the last week, so I've been watering everything constantly. I'll be so happy when it finally cools off. It's been such a hot summer!

On to Fran's box, or I'll keep typing! ;)
Rhipsalis Micvanti? The ink smeared and it's a little hard to read. Color splash, Pink epi?, Light pink epi? Birthday wish, Hoya Bilobata, Acker Manii, Hoya Rubra, Hoya Sulawessii, Hoya Snowcaps, King Midas, Better times (last two I think are Epi's).

Fran Thank you so much for the box! I love trading houseplants and can't wait to grow these over the winter! I'm working on your box tomorrow morning and will post the DC# when it goes out.

Hugs,
Deb

o

Hello all,
I have been out of town this weekend or I would have posted sooner. It has been like Christmas at my house for the last couple of weeks. :-) I have had so much fun packing up boxes for shipment and then waiting anxiously or the mail man to show up with my boxes of goodies!!

Fran (redheadedstepchild75) - I'm glad you liked the plant markers but I can't take credit for the idea, I got the idea from Tehs. All the plants I got from Tehs had plant markers. I thought it was such a nice touch and decided to start doing that on all my trades too. :-)

Thanks again for all the wonderful new plants, I can't wait to trade again.

-Amy

o

Debby,
I'm sorry the ink ran!
Rhipsalis Micrantha, Color splash is an Epi...pink and light pink are NOID epis,King Midas and Better Times are both epis too.

All the Epis were treated with Clonex rooting gel...so tehy should all root like super duper fast!

Oh, the ackermanii is also an Epi. :O)

Amy, I am thankful to just have traded with such a nice person! :O)

I'm gonna have to find some of those plant tags though.....I found a tutorial on the web to make aluminum plant tags so that even if the sharpie washes or fades away....you still know what ya have!!
It's so simple..I can't believe I didn't think of it on my own! lol
I just have to find some s hooks.....I'm gonna imagine those would be in the beading section of the craft store or something.

I hope everyone had an awesome holiday weekend! Mine was boring! lol

Regina spent the weekend buying up goodies for Halloween! lol

BTW..... if anyone ever wants to talk plants or kids or whatever.....you can pm me..on y ahoo i'm on under fairskinnedgoddess75

o

Fran,
It was too hot to ship out anything today, 94*! A cold front is arriving tomorrow and will stay all through the week. Tomorrow's high is 73* and Thursday 64*! What a difference in temps! I'll send your box out tomorrow. I just didn't want to take a chance and have everything bake in the box!

Deb

o

Deb,
I understand...and, I am glad you waited!!

o
Has everyone received their ends of the swap?

I was just checking so I could see if we were ready to start round 2.

I'll start a new thread for it. I was going to make a theme Fall colors...or plants that brighten up your indoor garden now that the outdoor one is winding down. :O)

Frances

o

Wow fantastic packages are still flying around! What a great RR this was!

Brilliant Regina!

BTW, the Gardenia cuttings you sent have started to root already! (people told me these were imposible to start from cuttings) but I tried both in water and in peat/perlite mix and both sets are now setting roots! I am amazed, I usually kill woody cuttings!

Thanks again

Frances

o

FYI, I make my plant markers by cutting up old vinyl mini blinds. They are really easy to cut with scissors. (And I get them for free off of Craig's list.) Then you just have to use a pencil to write on them. It won't wash off or fade away in the sun either! Amazing.

o

My package went out, yay! USPS priority # 0307 0020 0003 4317 6039.

It's sooo nice out today, cooler weather finally arrived!

Deb

o

My husband told me that he had read in the paper that if Hanna follows the predicted path that those who be have stated....by the time it hits us, it will still be a category 1 hurricane.
So much for wantning more rain! lol I only wanted rain!!!! hehe

I hope its just rainy!! I haven't been able to acclimate my plants to being indoors yet...a sudden change might not be something they like....not to mention my wandering jew is now host to some wasps

o

Oops! I've been so busy working lately that I forgot to post on the forum!

Tehshan sent some great plants for the swap! Each with its own plant marker included!

Begonia Richmondensis
Rex Begonia
Lipstick Plant "Holiday Bells'
Goldfish Plant 'Encore'

I also got a nice bonus box (Teshan let us keep the 'mix ups'!)

Episcia "Ronnie'
Streptocarpus 'Lavender Lady'
Lipstick Plant 'Orange'

All plants were packaged nicely and arrived in great shape!

Thanks Tehshan!!!

Okay LGS, I have lots of houseplants that need trimming...ready for round #2 !?!?! LOL

o

Everyone sent such nice boxes! This has been a really fun swap! Our weather has cooled off, our nights are in the 50's, highs low 70's. I'm ready to do this again too! Usually I can trade for another month (all of October for plants.) Snow usually starts in November.

Deb

o

Debby,
I got my box today....I thought I had died and gone to Hoya heaven!!! :O)

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

I am really wanting to do another swap too.....I think I'm just gonna post another Plantaholics fall houseplant swap and hope for some more wonderful participants!!
I'm gonna go work on the rules now!! lol
I'll post in a little bit!

o

Wow everyone wasent this swap fun!

Sorry I have been away...mil had surgery on her back, and the guys work, so Im the one who gets to be with her. I don't mind she does alot for us in her own little way.

Amy, I thought thats what your marker were made from as Ive heard about doing that before. Just have to find some blinds somewhere now. And thanks for the propagation instructions too. I now have the making for my own. And all the plants you send are doing great as well,except for the banana pup, that one is kinda iffy yet, still holding in there but hopefully will make it.

Fcoffill....Gardenias are some of the easiest cuttings to start. I've started them both ways too. My best way is too stick them in a pot under where the AC drips, they root everytime!

Looks like we will be starting up a second RR and Miss Red will be our host for this one.

I want to Thank everyone for making this first one such a success and hope to see ya at the second one....Ya'll take care now and Thanks again......Oh and if ya want to chat at me I can be found at the yahoo place under bl_topaz.

Regina aka ladygreensleeves aka plantwhore....rotflol
or on yahoo bl_topaz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here