Tue, Aug 5, 08 at 1:09

Petal Pushers Logo

Lets hope this helps our problem.

Goodnite,
Sassy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: UPDATE: Pedal Pushers August Cookbook #2

Sassy-Thanks for starting a new thread. The other one was was making me crazy.

Vic-Sorry your trip was a bust.

Fran-Congrads on winning the Iris

Annie-Haven't tried your omelet in a bag yet but plan on it!
Mariann

o

Photobucket

Oh Sassy, such a cute picture of kenzie, and thanks for starting a new thread. I'm wondering if when I copied and pasted from the recipes if that didn't do it? No worries everyone I won't try it to see. Wow, your tomatoes are beautiful! Now what you need to do is slice a few put some miriclewhip on the bread, put tomato slices on that, salt and pepper. and devour. Oh yes! I like radish sandwiches also, but not with mayo/miriclewhip just some butter/margerine salt and pepper and ohhhh so good.

Pixie, are you batten down the hatches?

Vic, sorry to hear about your camping trip troubles, sorry your guys drove all that way only to have to turn back aroun.With the price of gas I would not be happy.

Hey I will think of another game today, but first DH and I are going to buy a new microwave. The camera will have to wait

If I left anyone out I will catch ya when I get back,DH is wanting to leave,

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o

Sassy, THANKS FOR THE NEW THREAD!
Kenzie is a Doll!

Tracy, the ONLY way I will eat Lima beans is if they are cooked with smokey links, and you have to cook em for a while so they are soft and mushy! LOL

Annie, good luck on the micro shopping! Man, the 2 things you prob use most!

Vic

o

Sassy, thank you, I felt like I was in a HUGH typewriter...dit, dit, dit. ding.....rrrrrrrr....ding
on the other one...LOL.

Vic, I hate ur vacation didn't go well, that is what would've happened to me too. I haven't been on one since I was 18.
A friend of mine took me, and another friend to the beach. The other friend was mine and a lot closer to my age, so I thought she and I would hang out on the beach, go swimming in the pool and such. All she wanted to do was sleep, and I mean the WHOLE time. I got so mad at her, I started taking pictures of her slepping. It was the first and only time I have been to the beach, and she ruined it for me.

Thanks Mariann, we didn't get paired up huh? You can email me so we can talk about the "diet" thing if you want too.

Annie, I will send you my addy in a bit. Been busy reading all of GW...lol.

Well, guess I will go check on other stuff...
Stay cool every one, it is goinging to be close to 100 here today.
:)Fran

o

Hey girls, I think that other board was driving all of us crazy. This is much better. Thanks for all the compliments on my adorable little g-baby! She is a pleasure to spend time with. Yes Tracy, Emma would be her big sis and show her around.

Its 107 here today with the humidity. Jezzzz will this heat wave please go awayyyyyyyy! Any plants I'm receiving right now are going into pots to hold until the end of Sept. Its just too hot out there to subject them to that. I'll just put them in a spot they can get some relief.

When I first started dating dh I came to his apartment one Sunday and he was cooking lima beans in the pressure cooker, I had to run to the store and pick up something and walked back in and there were lima beans all over every square inch of that kitchen! I looked him and we both started laughing, I said, forgot something at the store, bye! lol JK, though I did say that I helped him clean up his mess, boy he never made that mistake again.

Later
Sassy

o

ROFL! Oh my, that had to be one goopy mess! LOL! YICK! I might have had nightmares if that happened to me. LOL!

Fran and Mariann, I completely forgot about the two of you and the wheat foods recipes. I am so sorry! Forgive me?

Vic, hmmmm, sounds slightly better than how mom made them but I still don't think you could tempt me! lol!

I hope everyone is having a good day. Sorry it is still so hot for you Sassy, we finally have a break in the heat/humidity. I went outside and didn't break a sweat standing still. It's the first time in weeks. Now if only there were a breeze. I'm never satisfied am I?

o

GAME TIME

This is for a start of hosta guacamole, it was named hosta of the year in 2002, and is one of my favorites. Oh heck, like bearded iris I love them all.

Tell me what my favorite food is, and it is yours.

LIFE IS GOOD
Annie

Here is what this beauty looks like, and I will be mailing it when it when it cools down a bit, but I promise you, you will get it.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/01424.html

o

Guacamole!!!

Lol, Iknow, I'm always wrong but it was fun! he he he!

Sassy

o

LOL! Sorry Annie, I guess guacamole is NOT a food so to speak! Oh Lord thats funny! lol

Ok, I have to go with mexican food. I'm sorry, Kenzie just left and to tell you the truth, I'm whipped! Ok, gonna go jump in the jacuzzi for a few, I need to relax!

I'm very sure one of these other girls will think of something better. I'll try to think of a game too, also, anyone else that wants to post a game, it doesn't have to be for a plant, it can be for any surprise you want to send, we have to get too it before Annie has to go back to work!

Fran...hope you got my email!

Later
Sassy

o

Sassy, you are right! I love mexican food, but not hot, hot. I like everything on the mild side.

Gosh, I will have to think of something harder to guess. Hmm, jacuzzi, does this mean you are neekid?LOL

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o

Ohmygoodness, Sassy got it right off the bat! lol! And she's nekkid? Oh boy! Covering my eyes now.

o

Hi, Ladies, It has been a few days since my last post but much happening here.One of our neighbors died and he was my DHs' good friend. Had visitation tonight and funeral tomorrow. Also other unexpected things thrown which seems to happen to all of us now and then.Hey, Annie, so glad to have you as partner for this exchange (we have been in touch and find we live about 40 or so miles from each other). How delightful for us.Congratulations to all the winners in the group and am looking forward to trying some of the recipes. What great cooks we have among us! Blessings, Margaret

o

Me either Annie, I love it and have a great story to tell about that, but can't tonight. I want to 'taste' my food! lol

Be back shortly
Sasy

o

Gosh, I wish I would have guess that. I want some of that hosta!!

yes sassy, I got it, I replied back to you...did you not get my reply?

Margaret, sorry to hear about ur neighbor...it is always sad to hear of someones passing.

Tracy, np on the partner. I am happy with Dan and it is going to be so much fun putting his box together...
I asked Marianne to email me if she wanted to talk about recipes and this diet thing, but haven't heard from her..anyway,

That's it for now,
:) Fran

o

Photobucket
Well, that was a quick game. It ended with an image of Sassy languidly soaking in her jacuzzi. I felt like I should cover my eyes.LOL

Fran-I sent you an email. Looking forward to chatting about a new way of eating for me. So far I've been able to stay away from most white foods. ie white rice, bread, etc. I'm so new to this Low Carb I look forward to tips from you.

Margaret-I'm so sorry to hear about your neighbor.
Have a great day everyone,
Mariann

o

OK I'M EASY, LETS PLAY FOR A START OF TALL BEARDED IRIS "SPARTAN" AND "DAUNTLESS" THIS IS FOR 2 PLANTS BECAUSE I NEED TWO ANSWERS. TELL ME WHICH TWO FOODS ARE MY LEAST FAVORITE.

Margaret, I'm so sorry to hear about your neighbor. Isn't it crazy that we live that close to each other.

I will post what those iris look in a few, I have to run to the meat market.

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o

Tracy, it was aweful, he never made that mistake again, lol.

Lol, Annie yes that swim in the tub felt soooo good. Tracy can uncover her eyes now! Well I completely missed the posts above me last night, didn't even realize I won!
Yayyy! Annie if you wouldn't mind, please send my start of guacamole to Fran, since she's trying to start over with her gardens, and I just went and checked and I do already have it, so that will help her out. If thats okay with you. Then I won't feel guilty if I try again on another game, lol.

Fran, I'll check my spam folder, it probably went in there.

Margaret, so sorry for your loss. You give DH a couple of extra hugs now and then. He'll need them whether he'll admit to it or not:)

Mariann, lol, I had no idea what I was starting by giving out that little piece of info. Will it help you all to know that DH didn't come in with? lol

Everyone try to stay cool. We're still heat wavin' here.

Well I've got to go put up tomatoes. I'll check in later. Have a good one!

Sassy

Hey, speaking of tomatoes, (this IS NOT my pic) I copied it years ago off a forum and I have no idea whose it was, but I'm hoping they wouldn't mind their pic being shown again. I thought it was so cute.

She had him named TommydeTomato
Photobucket

o

Sassy, that is so sweet of you and that is fine. Please give me your list of hosta that you do have I might have something that would catch your eye. That tomato is so unique, and thank you for posting it; all of mine are still green. UGH!

Both the iris above are historical, and no I didn't get any pictures of them so... here is one that shows a good picture of Dauntless

I"m looking for a good picture of Spartan, Be back in a few.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.stoneycreekiris.com/iris_details.php?iris_ID=1054&k=

o

Margaret, I am so sorry for the loss of your neighbor. My heart goes out to you and your husband. I don't know what I would do without my best friend. Give him an extra hug for me.

Annie, I love that picture of Dauntless! It is a stunner! I would guess that your least favorite foods would be boiled ham and cabbage.

Sassy, you are such a sweetie to give your guacamole to Fran! :o) So, you've got clothes on now, right?

Photobucket

o

Annie-I'm going to try this one. Least favorite foods are creamed corn and pig snouts!
I picked the creamed corn because just looking at it makes me gag. The pig snouts because years ago I saw someone eating them, on TV, and they were gagging. What can I say.LOL
Mariann

o

Margaret, so sorry to hear about your neighbor, hugs to you and your hubby!

Sassy, what a sweetie! I hope you win again!

Annie, I'm gonna say chinese and brussel sprouts! Don't know why I'm picking those, that's just what came to mind!

Vic

o

Your sooo Special Sassers, that was soo nice of you!!!

Margaret sending hugs and prayers your way, I am so sorry about your neighbor.

LOL Mariann, YUCKIEEE on the pig snouts! that is gagging just thinking about it!!!

WHOOOHOOO its raining here!!!! WOW two days in a row!!! Gonna grab my trusty umbrella and go play! Nah I'll skip it this time.

Annie I am going to say hmmm least fav foods I am going to say sour cream and olives.

Sassers thats such a neat tomato!

o

Ok gotta question, what's a quick and easy coleslaw recipe? I did the BBQ slaw and loved it, now I want another one for everyday, I love fresh slaw and have never made it!

Vic

o

Sassy-That's so wonderful of you to give the Hosta to Fran. I didn't know she was starting her gardens over. Gotta love that tomato pic.!

Pixie-So glad you are getting some rain.

Annie-OK I'm going to be serious here. I'm guessing that your least favorite foods are turnips and liver.

Vic-Can't help you. My DH can't eat anything from the cabbage family so I don't make coleslaw.

My DH and I drove 4 hours today. Sometimes we drive for a used car dealer. We drove to So. Jersey to pick up 2 cars. I drove back a Jeep that had bad brakes and a sun roof that wouldn't close all the way. That's just to many hours for me. We are going again tomorrow but not as far.
Have a good night,
Mariann

o

Nope, well some of those are really, really questionable like the pig snouts. Nope, don't think I would eat those, nope, nope, nope! I guess there are a lot of crazy weird things that I would not eat!

Fore example, I like Liver and Onions, but noooooooo brains or other organ meats for me. Of course the liver has to be beef liver. Don't ask me why I don't know, it just does. My guys are hunters so I will eat wild things, duck, goose, deer, pheasant, Oh I love pheasant.

I like ham and cabbage too, yummy, but I called it boiled dinner.Throw in some new potatoes, and serve with hot rolls, and ohhhh soooooooooo good.

Cheese and Brussle sprouts, yep, I like that.

Now I guess I should be more specific, and I will give you a hint. I eat these two, and I guess I said it was my least favorite, but it is only my least favorite because of the the way they are cooked. I like them both, I just hate it if they are cooked a certain way. I guess it is a texture thing, and here is another hint. I like one raw, but not cooked, and the other well, I like it cooked but not for very long, I want it to be firm not mushy.maybe just done enough like in stir fry where it is firm. See, it is a texture thing.

There are many crazy things I probably would not eat, I will have to do some searching to see if I can come up with better hints.

Here is a link of what Spartan looks like.

It is not as hot today, but again, I've ran today and tomorrow I really have to get in the yard. I've got two days left, then back to the real world. I have wrote down all who I need to send plants to and I will start digging next Sat. I love sharing.

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.candtirispatch.com/catalog.php?item=2331

o
Galium

I like turnips,but raw in a salad, not cooked, it is a texture thing. I like beets, love em pickled the best, I love the crunch they have.

I will look up more hints.
LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o

Darn, see I thought it would be boiled ham and cabbage! I only know one other person that likes it and that is my SIL. Well, now I know two people! lol! This is a tough one. Hmm, stir fry? Maybe carrots and broccoli?

Vic, I make coleslaw all the time. I use a small head of cabbage and chop it thin and grate a couple of carrots and just toss it about 1/4-1/2 cup of Marzetti's Slaw Dressing. Much better than the kind you get at the deli counter. I refrigerate it for an hour or more before serving. If it is just for the hubby and I then I will just use a quarter of a cabbage, one carrot and then 2-3 TBSP's of the Marzetti's Dressing.

Mariann, that drive sounds like it wasn't too fun. I've driven some of the highways in NJ and I don't think I would like it very much. Hubby's sister used to live in Montclair and we would drive up every now and again for a visit.

Sassy, that mater cracks me up. I want to tweak his nose.

o

• Posted by pat_6 z6 NE KY (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 6, 08 at 20:32

Annie- My guess is Broccoli and Green Beans. Those are both foods that I like but can't stand the texture of when they are overcooked.

Mariann - I cooked an ear of corn in the microwave tonight, as you told us about in one of the earlier threads. That is an absolutely fabulous way to do just a few ears! I only cooked it for 3 minutes but it was thoroughly done. And the way the silks came off... I just can't say how pleased I was with that! (I hate silks!) If anyone else tries this, remember to take care when husking. Not only is the corn extremely hot, it has "steamed" inside the husk and quite a bit of hot condensation comes out!

Pat

o
You are on the right tract.

It is a vegetable, you guys are on the right track. OK, one is green, the other real dark green. Does this help any? (((giggles)))

o

Thanks Tracy, I was going to try one of the store bought dressings but wasn't sure, it doesn't sound like it can get any easier than that! We don't have any good deli counters around here that I've found so far, so we haven't had many salads like usual in the summer.

Annie, I'm gonna say asparagus and.........hmmmm, how about spinach?

o
Prayers Needed

Hi everyone, I just had a call from Sassy. Her husband was injured severely at work today. He had an accident with a saw, it severed an artery in his arm and then hit his chest. He is in the hospital and has had surgery but is in a lot of pain and has lost a lot of blood. She believes that he is out of danger at this point but is still very worried.

Sassy will be staying at the hospital with him and doesn't know when she will be posting on here but wanted all of you to know why she won't be around. Please keep them in your prayers. If I hear anything else from her I will let you know as soon as I know.

Thank you,
Tracy

o

Annie I am going to say broccoli and snap peas.

Sassy and her DH are in our prayers. That is just soo scary I know.

o
Broccoli and Snap peas

Annie I am going to say broccoli and snap peas.

Sassy and her DH are in our prayers. That is just soo scary I know.

o
Recipes

Tracy, made your Loaded Potato Skin Casserole WOW it was very DELICIOUS! (yeppers I said it that way on purpose!) Fox ate the majority of it cause in the heat I just can't eat alot (knew this but wanted it anyways!) I put smoked sausage around it after it was almost done (hillshire farms SS) so it could cook with it and the guys really liked the entire thing! I made it in my large Pampered Chef Clay Casserole and all that was left was MAYBE one helping, very small helping too!

Then I did something that I have NEVER done before in my life!!! I went to the grocery store in my jammie shorts (boxer shorts for small men lol)!!! I started making brownies and then didn't have any eggs so instead of asking fox to go I went lol, even left my cell at home so would have been up a muddy creek if anything had happened lol. I did notice that there were several other women in there in jammies (must be slumber party night eh???) I just laughed and realized that I conquered another first for me lol.

o

I am so glad you guys liked it! I can't believe you went to the store in your jammies. That is too funny. It's amazing what we girls will do for brownies sometimes! Thank you for the prayers. I am praying too. It is so awful how suddenly things can happen.

o

LOL hey my jammies look like shorts anyways lol, not like I was wearing lingerie or anything see through lol, no feathers or faux fur lol. Low tonight is supposed to be the high 70's low 80s lol I dislike watching the weather anymore lol!

Yeppers like that insurance commercial says "LIFE COMES AT YOU FAST!" (then it goes on to say "are you prepared?" sheesh!!) Nobody is ever prepared for an accident regardless. (speaking in general here not personally).

o

Gosh Sassy, thank you...you made me teary eyed and all...
I will be thinking about you and your hubby. I am sure everything is fine and he is well on his way to a speedy recovery...
I can't imagine how scared you were own your way to the hospital to meet him/situation. I am glad you didn't let your mind wander and have an accident as well. It has happened a few times.
Bless you and yours and take as much time as you need we all truly understand.

Vic, are you looking for a sweet slaw like KFC might have, or just an ave. smei-sweeteness? You know I'm in the south..I can cover you Southern Dishes...LOL.

I am too sleepy to think of much of anything right now so I am gonna give the guess a go and head to bed:

GUESS: Cucumber and Lettuce

Night all,
Fran

o

WHOOHOO Vic, see ya have a choice here!!! Lots of "Yankees" with awesome recipes and lots of "Rebels" (not my boy, he doesn't cook just eats lol) with awesome recipes also!!! Then ya have those like me that hmmm claim anywhere that will take us, ;) (we also have great recipes!) The good thing about those like me is we have a mixture of both southern and northern AND oriental/exotic/ you name it recipes lol! (hmmm why don't my guys like things other than chicken???)

o

Oh Boy, I have said it b4 and I'll say it again. I SHOULD NOT post when I am sleepy....yes, I am still sleepy and yes I went to bed....BUT I am wake AGAIN!!! EEERRRRRR!!!

That was semi-sweet for slaw question, not smei-sweet,,,,gosh looks like I was typing japanese up there don't it now???

Pixie, I cook oriental/mexican too...and a lot by scratch...
I don't know about some of them other recipes though now...they look pretty weird to me, me be southern and all....LOL.

Oh well, back to try to go back to sleep I guess,

o

Annie-How about zucchini and collards???? Zucchini gets terribly mushy when cooked to long. Collards are tough when not cooked long enough.

Sassy-Love and hugs to you. You and your DH will be in my thoughts.

Pat-Glad you liked the microwaved corn. I was really impressed when I tried it.

Fran-Looks like you've been up all night. I have those nights too.

Pixie-When I go out to visit my DD there is always someone in WalMart in slippers or jammies.

Tracy-We drove down the Parkway to the shore. I really dislike that road!!
Have a great day
Mariann

o

Mariann, I don't blame you ONE bit! Have a safe trip today. I hope it is a nicer ride. We are taking the kids to the county fair today. I am bringing my camera and will try to convince the family to let me visit the flower barn so I can take pictures of the blue ribbon blooms for everyone.

Come on Fran, throw us some more southern slaw recipes! lol!

Pixie, I think you should post your Granny's biscuit recipe for everyone. It is one of my favorites. Better than mine, I can tell you that!

o

Sorry, I don't have time to read everything right now, but I saw the news about Sassy. Girlfriend, I am so sorry this is happening! I am praying for your dh!
Big Hugs,
Becki

o

Sassy, OMG! Please keep us/Tracy informed! My thoughts and prayers are with you all!

Tracy, have you heard anymore from her? Let us know when you do please.

Fran, I'm open to any slaw recipe, sweet or 'smei' lol
I just want an easy one, I'm not one to use the recipes with 14 or more ingredients.

Mariann, hope your trip today is better! Just how did you come across a job like that? I'm sure some of the cars you drive back are pretty scarey.

Pixie, seems the best things I make from scratch are the things I can't remember what I put in them! LOL I make homemade salsa and it's different everytime, I write everything down and I have to pages all scribbled all over for my "recipe", anytime someone askes for it I show it to them and they say "oh, never mind!" LOL
It just depends on my mood as to what goes in it.

o

Hi, Lovely Ladies and Dan!

Sassy- I am so sorry about the accident and please know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Accidents like this are never expected and like others, I am so thankful you didn't get hurt on your way to hospital. Thank God for Guardian Angels and the wonderful hospitals and doctors we have here in America.

Annie- I am going to guess Lima beans and collard (or other greens).

Blessings to all, Margaret

o

Coleslaw:
1/4 large head cabbage (or more 1/2 if you wish)
1/4 cup mayo (any brand)
1 tsp vinegar (optional)(If I use I like apple cider vinegar)
1/2 small jar SWEET PICKLES or 1/4 cup more if you like sweet pickles in your slaw(NOT pickle relish)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon sweet milk (optional)I like mine a little juicy
Salt and pepper (optional, I don't usually put it in, but if you are addicted to salt use some)

Grate cabbage, dump all other ingredients stir and chill if you want it cold, or serve immediately.
GOOD ON HAMBURGER and HOTDOGS...
Semi Sweet
For semi sweet use same recipe use only 1 teaspoon of sugar, include vinegar. Let this one set for 30 min. -1 hour before serving. Good with pinto beans, cornbread meal.
You can also add shredded carrots to the first one if you like them and for some color add some red cabbage if you like <---just move the line up to the recipe if you cant to remember to put them in and you want to add them.

Is that easy enough for you Vic? I am glad you liked the BBQ slaw...it is great on BBQ sammies...
I think the tomato looks like a Walrus or a baby seal.

Guess: Bell Peppers and Zucchini

o

OMG Sassy, I am so sorry, and do keep us posted!

VIC YOU WIN spinach I like raw in a salad and asparagus I like stir fried. I will not eat either out of a can from the store.

We are big cole slaw eaters here, and will have to try those.

Pixie, I work in a college town and we see many in jammies around here, but not me I would not want to scare anyone.

Hubby and I were at a house auction this morning but did not bid on anything. I did see several things I would have liked to have but there were several antique dealers, and with that you have no chance. I guess a person if they had the money could have outbid them, but that person is not me.

The weather is nice, only 81 here and I really need to get outside.

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o

Its pretty here today, hot and humid but pretty. My cell phone finally died, I can receive calls but it wont let me use the keypad at all lol. Oh well, means I won't be talking alot today. My house looks ransacked and it was clean yesterday sheesh there are just three people that live here so how can we do this much damage??? YUCKIE! (gonna blame it all on Alan and the kiddos, Rebs and Mud!)

Guess I better really get busy.

o

Photobucket

Pixie- Oh ya better watch out! Things go in 3s. I honestly believe that because first the camera died, then the microwave and now DH has poison ivy! I keep telling him I think he needs to see a doctor but oh no, hes going to wait till he gets blisters the size of a silver dollar. Ive went and bought him some cortisone cream, calamine lotion, sterile bandages and he still refuses.

Hey, we finally got a red tomato out of the garden today, and yes, we devoured it at lunch. Does anyone want some of my zucchini recopies? I think Sassy has some of them, not for sure. I dont know about anyone else but Ive have an abundance of them like I do every year.

Margaret, I got your e-mail and I will respond tonight. I cant get over how much we have in common.

I wish I could post a picture of my nieces new foster baby, she is so cute. I need everyones e-mail, or maybe someone already has it that would be so kind as to send them to me.

Ok, back out for a while. I will check back later, and maybe do one more game before I have to go to back to work tomorrow nite.

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o
Things to do with Zucchini

ZUCCHINI DEEP PAN PIZZA

3 1/2 c. coarsely grated zucchini
2 large eggs, beaten slightly
2 c. (8 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheeze, divided
1/2 c. parmesan cheese, grated
1/3 c. flour
1 T. olive oil
1c. spaghetti sauce (your favorite)
1 t. dried oregano
1/8 t. dried crushed red pepper

Press zucchini between paper towels to remove excess moisture. Combine zucchini , eggs, 1 c. mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese and flour in a medium bowl. Stir well. Spread in a greased 13x9x2 inch pan. Bake uncovered @ 350 for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven. Brush surface with oil, Broil 5 inches from heat for 5 minutes. Remove from oven, spread speghetti sauce on top of zucchini mixture. Sprinkle remaining 1 c. mozzarella cheese, oregano, and red pepper. Bake uncovered @ 350 an additional 20 minutes. makes 6 servings.

ITALIAN ZUCCHINI CRESENT PIE

4 c. zucchini, thinly sliced
1 c. onion, chopped
1/4 to 1/2 c. margarine
1/3 c. parsley, chopped
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t.pepper
1/4 t. oregano leaves
2 eggs, beaten
2 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded
8 oz. tube refrigerated crescent rolls.
2 t. mustard, your choice that your family likes

Cook and stir zucchini and onions in margarine for 10 minutes. Stir in parsley, salt, pepper, and oregano leaves. Combine beaten eggs and shredded cheese; add to zucchini mixture. Separate crescent dinner rolls into 8 triangles. Place in ungreased 10" pie pan,. press over bottom and up sides to form crust. Spread crust with mustard. Pour vegetable mixture into crust. Bake in preheated oven at 375 for 18-20 minutes or until center is set, and cover crust with foil during last 10 minutes of baking. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

STUFFED ZUCCHINI

2 medium zucchini
3 T. onion chopped
1 slice bacon chopped
1/2 c. fresh mushrooms, sliced or 4 oz. canned, drained.
1/2 c. tomato, chopped
1/4 c. chicken broth
1/2 t. basil
1/2 t. thyme
1 c. seasoned bread crumbs (for stuffing)
dash of pepper

Steam zucchini for 15 minutes. and slice lengthwise. Remove pulp and reserve both shell, and mixture. Fry bacon and onion until onion is translucent. Add mushrooms, tomatoes, and reserved pulp. Cook 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Add broth and seasonings, bring to boil. Add bread crumbs and remove from heat. Fill Zucchini shells with mixture. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

I've got more if you would like them
LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o

Annie, get DH an OTC antihistamine like claritan or zyrtec, (get the generic brand) that will help with the poison ivy!

I was guessing the spinach because the only way I eat that is in a salad, and asparagus I don't like, but ppl have told me that when I tried it if it wasn't cooked good that can make all the difference!

Tracy, any word from Sassy?

o

• Posted by pat_6 z6 NE KY (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 7, 08 at 20:07

I'm so sorry to hear about Sassy's husband. I hope he's (and she's) doing better with each passing hour.

Annie - Those Zucchini recipes look interesting. I'm not low-carbing right now (though I should be) but someone around here is and those recipes could be easily adapted to the LC lifestyle. The Pizza recipe could be converted by using Golden Flax Meal or Almond Flour in place of white flour and choosing a low sugar pizza sauce. The Pie would be great as-is if you just made it without the crust, serving the mustard on the side. Stuffed Zucchini could be almost as good as "regular" by using double high-fiber, whole wheat bread.

o

Pat, yes, those substitutes sure sound good, and I will have to try them that way.

I'm trying to think of one more game this evening.Back to work as of 11p.m tomorrow night, and will return next Friday. DH holds down the fort;he is retired. I have a few more years to work.

I also hope Sassy and hubby are doing better, and hope for a update.

Son, and DeAnna are packing and getting ready for their trip to Mexico. I get all nervous when they fly, as I've never flown in a jet, only a single engine plane.

Back later,
LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o

I don't know how many of you are allergic to Poison Oak/Ivy but you can call CVS and ask them if they still have their Poison Oak/Ivy pills... I don't know if they still carry them, They did when they were Revco. NO I am NOT joking, if you can find them if you think you have been in the stuff you can start taking them and they will keep you from breaking out...they really work, I have taken them. Even after I got a few blisters, an took some they helped...

The above Pizza recipe omit the flour, oil, and eggs can be used as a Mock Lasagna recipe, you use the zucchini sliced long ways as your "Noodles" and you have a VERY LOW-Carb, no-sugar lasagna...and it is GOOD...of course you would need more cheese and spaghetti sauce because you make it just like you would reg. lasagna, laying everything

The STUFFED ZUCCHINI, same thing just don't use the chicken broth...if you need a liquid for moisture then use vegetable stock or water.

way to go Vic!!!

o

Hi everyone, I am back from the county fair. I checked my caller ID and messages and haven't had any calls from Sassy. When I spoke with her last night she said she plans on staying at the hospital with her DH and said she won't be leaving unless another member of the family is going to sit with him. Even then it will only be short bits. I promise I will post any news as soon as I hear. You all are wonderful for keeping them in your thoughts and prayers. It is hard when our friends are so far away. I wish we could be there to help lend a hand, whatever it might be.

Congratulations Vic on winning Annies beautiful Irises! They are gorgeous!

Annie, those zucchini recipes look amazing! I am the only zucchini lover here. I love it sauteed with a little onion and butter. Yum! The only zucchini that the rest of the family will eat is when I make zucchini bread. Silly people don't know what they are missing. Congrats on your red Mater! Now I am craving a BLT sandwich! I love fresh tomatoes with bacon!

My oldest son is very allergic to poison ivy. We have battled with it every summer since we moved out here to the country. If it is there then he seems to find it. The summer of '05 was the worst, we spent every third week at the doctor's office getting a new perscription for steroid creams in different strengths trying to control the blisters and rash. My son was so miserable that summer. It took forever to get in under control. He still had it when he went back to school in the fall. He ended up on an oral steroid treatment along with all the creams.

This past spring I took him on a mini nature walk to show him what it looks like in different stages of development throughout the season as it changes appearance so much. We have had only one minor outbreak with it so far.

One thing that helps to minimize the spread of the rash is to wipe down with alcohol as soon as you get inside after you think you came in contact with it. The oils of the plant are hard to remove/wash off. All clothing and bedding goes right into the washer with TechNu Poison Ivy detergent also. The oils can stay on tools and other surfaces for a whole year. Oh and never, never, never burn poison ivy leaves or vines, the oils go airborn and will get in your mouth, nose and throat.

Fran, I'll have to check with CVS about their p.i. pills. I've never heard of it. I'd be willing to try anything.

I'll be back later with some pictures from the fair.

Tracy

o

Oh,Vic I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I have the recipe that is supposed to be for KFC cole slaw which I really like!

KFC Cole Slaw
1 cup Mayo (Real like Hellman's
1 tsp grated onion
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup + 2 Tbls sugar
Blend well(in blender if you have one) and add to cabbage mixture. (I use the cabbage slaw already mixed and sold at the grocery store that has carrots and sometimes red cabbage in it. Can't guarantee this is the real thing but told so by a good source.

Another one you might try:

Cabbage Slaw

Boil and cool 2 cups sugar, 1 cup vineger and 1/2 cup water. Add to your slaw mixture with mustard seed and celery seed.

Hope this gives you some other ideas to try. Let me know what you think of the KFC one if you try. Blessings to all, Margaret

o

Another thing you can use for Poison Ivy/Oak contact is rubbing down with ammonia, my mom always used this on me...I still will use it...I am allergic to almost everything but not this...weird...and way, you can use it for fire ant stings too...it will help you from getting the blisters....only you have to keep rubbing the spot(s) you stung for a least 5 minutes...but believe me...it brings sweet relief!

KFCs recipe also has carrots in it, I know, I used to make it...ugh, brings back memories...
That knock-off recipe sounds good though.

You may need to add more sugar to my recipe to make it sweet enough...I really just dump in my stuff....I do it from scratch so it is really hard to be sure how much I put in, but u can just see how sweet it is and adjust the recipe...

o

These are some of the winners at out local county fair. I wish the tags were easier to read and a little better displayed as I wasn't able to read some of the details about the varieties on many of the flowers on the stands. But here are a few of the winners from this years showing.

Rose: Touch of Class, Won Queen of Show
Touch Of Class First of Show

Rose: Honey Perfume, Best Multi-Bloom
Honey Perfume Best Multi Bloom

Rose: Memphis King, Miniature Category, Best Multi-Bloom
Memphis King Mini Best Multi Bloom

Rose: Bees Knees, won Miniature Best of Show
Bees Knees Mini Best of Show

Echinacea: Unknown Variety, Wild Flower Division, Won Best of Show
Echinacea Best of Show

Echinacea: Wild Flower Placed Second of Show
Echinacea Second of Show

The yellow echinacea's tag was impossible to read since the type was so small. I've done a bit of searching and can't find one similar. It was amazing to me that the coneflowers did so well this year. Last year the dahlia's took center stage at the show.

Tracy

o

Fran, I had a hard enough to convince him that the rubbing alcohol would help. I can't say what he would say about the ammonia. I told him again today I think he needs to go in for a shot, but I can't carry him there. He knows I leave for work tonight, and from here on our he is on his own. I don't mean to sound so negative, but I've ask him for the last three days if he wanted me to call the doctor.

Tracy, I love all the pictures from the fair. I do miss my camera.

OK ONE MORE GAME,THIS IS FOR TALL BEARDED IRIS CORAL POINT. THE QUESTION IS, WHAT IS MY DH MIDDLE NAME, HIS FIRST NAME IS RONALD

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

Here is what it looks like

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.iriscitygardens.com/images/tallbearded/coralpoint.jpg

o
i wonder

If Sassy's DH is still in ICU, and I'm thinking of them both.

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o

Annie, those men are difficult to deal with when it comes ot going to the doctor. I hope he takes care of it on his own if it gets any worse. I hope the alcohol works to keep it from spreading any further. I know you will worry while you are gone. Stubborn men.

I am going to guess that your DH's middle name is Douglas. I just like the sound of Ronald Douglas for some reason.

Glad you like the pictures. I posted some more over in the Make New Friends Garden Junk Thread too. The ones over there are of Fairy Gardens and Miniature Gardens using all kinds of different items for pots, planters, etc. They have some with fairies, bunnies, mini hosta, sedums, pansies. They are all adorable and very creative. I felt like a kid in the candy store and took tons of photos of these.

I love my digital camera. I used to use a 35mm but never developed my film. Now I have instant pictures! These digi's are just too cool.

o

Hi girls, just a quick post to update you. He's out of the danger zone now and doing pretty good. He hurting alot naturally but they're keeping him pretty sadated. They moved him in a room and I'm hoping to bring him home tommorrow.

I don't have time to read all the posts, just came home for a quick shower but I do appreciate all thoughts and prayers, I believe with all my heart that they helped. He is one lucky man to be alive and I'm just so thankful for it.

Tracy I think I missed a call from you while in the shower, I'll do my best to call you later, if not, I'm pretty sure we're coming home tommorrow.

Thank you girls so much, hugs to all of you.

Sassy

o

Tracy, love the pics! and the ones at mnf, those are just tooo cute, I THINK I like the chair the best, but it's hard to decide!
Our fair starts today, I hope they have stuff like that here!

Annie, I'm going to guess 'Rock' as in stubborn as! LOL
I think I will let someone else win this time!
I can't wait to see those beauties I won bloom next year!!
AND, do try to get him to take an antihistamine like I said earlier, they are for allergies, and will help block it from spreading any Doc I've worked for always gave that to take along with the cortisone.

I have an old digital camera it's only a 3 megapix but IF I can find it I would be happy to send it to ya so you have SOMETHING to use until you get a good one for Christmas! Send me your addy, I'll look around today, I sent it out here with Jamie when he came last yr and haven't seen it since! LOL

Vic

o

Sassy, I am so happy that your DH is improving. I have been praying so hard for you both. I hope his pain leaves soon. I will keep praying.

Vic, I'm so glad you like the pictures! I was really excited when I found that exhibit for the mini gardens. I was kind of laughing at myself when I was taking all the pictures and thinking I have got to show the guys/gals on GW! lol!

Have fun at your fair! Post pictures! I can't wait to see what you have there!

Oh, I have tons of animal pictures too so if you guys want to see horses, ox, chickens and cows, let me know! lol! I did remember to take pictures of the kids and not just the plants this time. :o)

o

Anne, I understand how stubborn men can be, we all understand that you are miffed at him..Been there done that too...I just hope it doesn't spread, my cousin used to get it really bad and my aunt would make oatmeal and calimine paste, put it on him and wrap it in plastic wrap to keep it from beathing...I always felt so sorry for him. He would get it bad, back then there wasn't much that could be done for it...

I forgot to say the pills I talked about from CVS have to be gotten from the pharmacy dept...they are behind the counter there.

The ammonia only works if you apply it within the first couple of hours of contact.

tracy, I love the deep red rose,,,wouldn't it be nice to have been able to have gotten cuttings...lol.

Guess: Allen/Alan

Sassy glad you stopped in and glad he is doing much better...

o

I'm so behind again. We didn't have any electric for a few days. Severe storms ripped through our area, a tornado was spotted a few blocks away. Everything turned green, the sky had such a weird glow. Flocks of black birds were flying quickly the opposite way of what was coming, Tornado sirens blared for 15 minutes straight. We were really lucky, the tornado stayed in the sky. Not having electric was horrible! It was so hot (the hottest days of the year) and living by candlelight (making it even more hot) was rough! I took a crank flashlight with me in the shower! We did use 2 generators, but each were used for our meat freezer, regular fridge/freezer. We need one more generator just incase of an emergency that lasted more than a couple of days! And to be totally honest, you need a good supply of gas to run those generators! Which we never really store, so had to run constantly to the gas station. We definately are not prepared for an emergency. I'm clearing out my food pantry, which has become my 'hide appliances not used' area. I have way too much- ice cream machine, George Forman grill, Ronco chicken rotisserie machine, 3 crockpots, and every pampered chef gadget you can imagine, plus tons of more unused kitchen items! I'm downsizing, and hiding most of the unused appliances in a closet, and using the food pantry for things we really could use. Soups, stews, canned stuff. Things that are really easy to prepare without electric. We ended up going out to eat too much all of those days! I had nothing easy to prepare! All of that frozen food does you no good when it's 100* and you can't use electric! We do have a large gas grill, but I really didn't have anything to cook quickly on it at the time. The freezers filled with chicken (whole), several turkeys, pizza's, tv dinners, chicken nuggets, pot pies, frozen french fries, tater tots, frozen big bags of veggies, etc.
What I've learned is to have smaller grill items ready to go. From now on, I'm dividing my hamburger meat immediately into patties, have a few hotdog pkgs. frozen, chicken breasts, tenders enough for supper ready, chicken legs, stews and soups in packages ready to heat. No more large chunks of stuff that I couldn't do anything with quickly.

Diane,
I'm so glad your Husband's doing better! What an accident! I'm so glad he's ok!

Hugs,
Deb

o

Sassy, I'm so glad you checked in, and that your DH is doing better.

Nope, not Douglas, Allen or Rock. I thought this would be guessed right away. I think it is a pretty common name.

Deb, wow, that was a bad storm. I'm sorry you were without power.Oh my, and it was so hot out.

Vic, I told DH about the antihistamine and he is willing to take some , as we do have some in the med chest.Thanks for the use of the digital, but I would feel terrible if something happened to it. I would however trade some plants for it, If this is possible and you find it. I could send you a list of plants that I can divide. I've traded real hard with iris this year but I'm sure I have some that are available out there. I do have hosta, and daylily too. The daylily's bloom time is just about done; there are a few that are still showing off.

My time off is ticking away, but not to worry I will have access to a computer where I stay at.

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o

Guess: James/John/Paul/Edward

Those are the only other ones that I think would be common and popular.
Other then Steven that one is very common.

Sorry for the list of names...But I thought I would give it one more good shot....lol.

Deb, glad you have power now, it sucks not having it...good thing ya'll were able to keep the fridge and freezer going...

Hi everybody else and hope you all have a great weekend!!!

o

Nope none of those, There are 6 letters in his middle name. (((laughing)))) I know that doesn't help much.

Time for dinner, having corn on the cob, fixed in the micro. Sliced tomatoes with cottage cheese, Iced tea and coffee. Yes, I need both hot and cold to drink.

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o
another clue

Maybe this will help, there are 4 vowels and 2 letters.

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o

Hi all!

Anyone remember me? lol My apologies for not popping in sooner...life has been busy since my trip to SC! House is here but not set on the foundation yet. I have plants in pots all over the place just waiting to be placed.

Diane, I am thinking of you and Jerry and hope he has minimal pain and a quick recovery. You all are in my prayers.

Annie, I am thinking maybe it's Ronald Eugene?

be back later...someone at door,
Dee

o

Dee you are right! send me your address, and I will get the iris out to you starting next week.

Shelby is on the phone, they are staying all night in Milwaukee and flying out at 7 in the morning.

Back Later,
LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o
I ment

The week of the 18th, I will be sending out plants.

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o

Sassy, sorry, missed your post last time....
I'm so glad to hear he is coming home! I bet you could BOTH use some rest! I sure hope the pain eases!
Take care!

Deb, what a mess, and, um, why do you have several turkeys? LOL

Dee, nice to meet ya!

Vic

o
Partner!

Beth, I emailed ya via GW, lmk if you don't get it!
Vic

o

Hi All,

Just wanted to let ya'll know that I will be gone for the next several days. I'll check back in when I am back.

smiles,
Pixie

o

Wow, I was right? How cool is that! Thank you, Annie!!! I don't have many iris and it will be beautiful by my new home!

Deb, so glad the tornado didn't touch down. Dealing without electricity for a few days in this heat and humidity we've had must have been miserable! Btw, I have a baby Lucky Lady Bug AV! So excited to watch her grow. :)))

Hi Vic....good to meet you...and Fran too! :)

Anyone have pictures to share from the March swap's mystery seeds? I finally took some time to upload some pics from the flower beds and have included my "mysteries" from Sonja. With all the rain we had this spring, everything seems "supersized" for height this year. Despite my cursing the rains for house progress, the flower gardens look pretty good. Veggies are another story. I have all of two tomatoes on 8 plants. They just seem to be sitting in the ground waiting...for what I don't know! lol Anyway, will post the link for a peek at my blooms.

Hope all are doing well and continued prayers for Sassy and DH.

hugs,
Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: Faint's garden slideshow

o

Dee, I tried the link and it doesn't work : (
So, you moved your whole house! And I thought my move was hard! LOL (I just moved from Michigan to Montana this May)
I bet house moving is exciting, nerving, and hectic!

o

Morning all!

Hoping Sassy's DH is doing better. Thinking about you all.

Yep, Vic. Moving a house in. Our old home is just barely hanging on....seems like something new fails every week. I will spare details but just say this...I've heard....that in some houses....lights go on with a switch! lol Now I think a long distance move would be really hard!!! It's the waiting for everything to be ready that is getting to me here.

I have never tried the slideshow feature on Photobucket and don't know what I am doing! : Let me try again.

Have a good day all,

Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: does this work?

o

Sassy,
I imagine you will stop in here when you get a chance. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I am so sorry that your husband was injured. I hope the news is still good at this point and I'll be saying prayers for his continued recovery. Take care of yourself, too. Okay?
Jeanne

o

Sassy, girl I hope you are home now, you get some rest too. Hubby will need you for a bit to help him, and it will do no good if you run yourself down and make yourself sick.
Rest when you can, I am glad he is recovering well.

OH MAN DEE...(hope you new house arrives and is set-up soon, I know that is a pain to wait) YOU HAVE SOME AWESOME PLANTS GIRL!!! Very beautiful pics!!! (2 thumbs up from this corner).

o

Hey girls
Yes, I have the wounded home now. Wow, what a week! He's doing good now, the pain has gotten better, I'm glad for that. He was borderline for a blood transfusion but he chose not to. The doc said it would take a couple of weeks but it should correct itself. His count was 8 and supposed to be 12? Anyway, we're doing everything the doc said to do and hes doing pretty good. I really want you all to know how much I appreciate your thoughts and prayers. I'll tell you, we take the people we love for granted too often, another 5 minutes for my step-son to get him to that ER from the jobsite and I wouldn't have my husband today. Anyway, enough of that.

Dee its so good to see you back around again girl. I sent you several emails in the last couple of months, they probably went into your spam. That windows messenger has me locked out and I finally gave up on it. When do you think you'll be in the house? I'm so excited for you:)
Email me and lets catch up.

All the receipes look awesome and Tracy those pics from the county fair are beautiful.

Deb, I'm so glad the tornado didn't hit the ground and you're okay. Its really aggravating dealing with no power, I'm really fortunate in that respect, I'm on the same power line as the hospital so my power never stays off for long, but I haven't forgotten living out in the country and being without power for 2 weeks due to hurricanes.

Well I need to run, I'll try to check back in a little later tonight. Again, thanks so much for the thoughts and prayers!

Sassy

o

Sassy,
Glad to hear the pain is getting better for him. I hope you have been able to, well, I wouldn't say 'relax', but I'm sure you were pretty shaken, it had to be a horrible experience! Thank God your SS got him there when he did.

I don't know what he does for a living, but Jamie does drywall and even that scares me. I went to a jobsite one day and seen them up on scafolding hanging 18ft long boards up on a 20ft high ceiling. The thought of one of them falling.... I had to leave.

Dee, You have some Beauties that's for sure!! Love that echinacea, and the seashell cosmo, and, and, and, I could go on and on. DL Derrick cane looks like velvet!

Vic

o

Sassy-Great to see you post. I've been so worried. I'm thankful that your DH got the help he needed in time. Please keep us posted. Hugs...

Dee-Good for you guessing Annie's DH's middle name. Your flower pictures are great. I noticed you had a few that I sent you. Always love to see how they do is someone else's garden.
Mariann

o
re: update:

Deb-I'm so glad you're safe! Your box will be in the mail tomorrow:
DC# 0103 8555 7493 8472 6500
Mariann

o

Congrats Dee way to go girl.

I see everyone is busy trying to get ready for school, vacacationing, trying to save their gardens or stay cool, or just taking a break.

I LOVE looking at everyone elses gardens cause mine is hmm pretty brown right now. I think I WANT to be SAMANTHA and just be able to wiggle my nose and have a beautiful garden full of Wonderfully fragrant flowers and abundunt with veggies!!! Alas I know that can't be though, oh well!!!

Karen if you emailed me please try it again as I didn't receive an email from you.

I am home from a mini (very mini) vacation but think I need a MAJOR vacation soon, maybe to somewhere very COLD!

o

Wow, you girls must be as busy as I am.

Vic, thanks his pain is alot better thankfully. My problem now is I'm taking care of 2 patients and a baby. Julie (my 26 year old daughter) went swimming on Sun and ruptured an eardrum and has swimmers ear in the other one. When she came home on Mon I took her to the ER, was there from 7pm until 3am. What fun. She's in so much pain and I can't keep anything down her. She already has infection in her ear canal which went into her lymph nodes. Believe me, as soon as I have a chance I'll probably lock myself in my bedroom for a week.

I hope ya'll will keep posting receipes and playing games, etc. I promise to pop in when I can, I just don't have alot of free time right now, but its going to get better. If I get 5 free minutes, I'm usually cat nappin' lol.

Mariann, thanks dear. I emailed you a couple of days ago, if you didn't get it let me know and I'll write you again.
I'll try to pop in later, gotta run.

Sassy

o

Sassy, I'm so glad your hubby is home and doing better! Now to get your daughter healed up! She must feel just awful! You take care of yourself, too, Sassy!

Sorry I haven't been around very much! As I've said in other posts, I just cannot wait for school to start. Im mentally drained! My brain is mush! lol

Pixie, I've sent ya an email. Let me know if doesn't show up!

Congrats to the game winners!

Dee, your pics are gorgeous! I'm glad to see the Lily 'Time out' bloomed for you! Were the flowers on it huge? Mine were, and I think I got like 4-5 flowers on my plant! All of the daylilies you sent bloomed for me, and they were all so beautiful! The sweet william 'Heart Attack' is reblooming, and the viola is still blooming, and so is the 'Lorrain Sunshine' Everything is doing great!
I hope you get in your new house soon!!

Everyone take care!
Karen

o

Well, I just wanted to share with everyone that as of yesterday our county is on mandatory water restrictions, no more watering the garden...and we have cantaloupes that are just starting to get to be nice sizes too. I am so disappointed. Don't know what my little seedlings are going to do now, I have a rain barrel of sorts but it isn't that large...

We have a well, but it isn't working right, I am hoping my SO can fix it and we won't lose our garden or any plants...
I think I am going to start washing dishes in a dish pan and save that water too..every little bit will help huh?

Wish I could save the bath water too! How does everybody else cope when you don't have rain and limited water supply?

o

Fran, I feel for ya girlie! We are under a severe drought here but haven't been restricted as of yet. This weather and lack of rain is horrible! Hopefully ya'll will get some soon.

Karen I got your email, thanks sweetie!

Sassy, ya'll are in our prayers and you hang in there!

Pixie

o

Sassy, you poor thing! I bet you are just wiped out! Take care of yourself too (as much as you can!)

Fran,
I don't water with ANYTHING but grey water b/c we live on a cistern. Our house is set up with a grey water tank that was not working right so before I got that going I saved A LOT of water. When running water for dishes I put an empty milk jug under the faucet and collected water while waiting for it to get hot, then also scooped out the dish water with a picture and used that, I put a 5 gal bucket by the sink and every time I rinsed something out, like the coffee pot, I dumped it in there. I had everyone shower with the plunger down in the tub and scooped out the water into a bucket. It was a MAJOR PIA!! But it saved my plants until I got the tank going. Also, if you pull the end of the washer hose out of the drain go to the hardware and get a pvc conector thingy that will fit in the end of the hose on one end and has the screw on thing on the other, clamp it on with one of those hose clamp screw tight thingys. Hook a hose to it and run it out the window, if you have enough hose to reach to your garden that would be even easier, or drain it into a big plastic tote. (I don't know if bleach hurts the plants or not so unless it is really diluted with other grey water I don't use it) Like I said, PIA, but after all the work you put into your garden it's a shame to loose it now. And you will be surprised at the amt of water you will have from that stuff. With just having the grey water tank hooked up I can water almost every day. I've learned a lot about saving water since I moved up on a big rock with no well and no city water! LOL
Hope that helps!

Vic

o

Vic, the washer idea is excellent...I can fix it just dump in my trash can outside...that would work great! Our washer is in the kitchen and sit right by a window so that is perfect!

I might even consider fixing the kitchen sink so it drains into a 5 gallon bucket! That would be really easy to do to, since it already leaks...lol.

Thanks for the heads up ya'll.

o

Well finally got my new glasses last week and am getting used to them. I was mistaken when I said they are bi-focals, they are tri-focals (don't ask me the meaning though except it has three layers and it makes ya dizzy if ya try to go to fast til ya get used to them lol)

YAY we just got a lil thunderstorm, it rained heavy for about 10 minutes but looks like it may rain again. Hey I am happy for any water that comes out of the sky at this point! I am going to apply some of your tricks Vic so thanks for sharing, maybe our water bill will go down too!

Here is a pic of me and my glasses. LOL this pic makes me look like I have spooky eyes because of the reflection of the lamp in front of me lol. Pretty cool eh?
spooky eyes

YAY its raining again now!!!!

o

HI Everyone!

I got home today, and although I'm glad to be home we got bad news while I was gone. My BIL was diagnosed with throat cancer and today they are taking out his tonsils. My Dh is of course with his brother, and I did tell them I would drive up today, but brother-in-law said not to come today, that he doubts very much that he will be very good company anyway. His family are coming in and some will be staying with us, which is great. I'm glad to have them, and having some little ones around will be a treat. They are all so helpful, sometime too much help LOL. I'm not quite sure when they will be starting chemo or radiation. I'm going to say radiation, don't ask me why, I don't know, I just have a feeling it will be radiation.

ON a happier note, everyone is real positive and the doctor noted that it is very treatable.

I will dig prizes this week-end and will mail them no later than Tues. or Wed, maybe sooner.

Sassy, I'm glad your husband is doing better.

Pixie,Fran, Vic, and all who are having a drought I wish I could send some rain to guys. We got around 1 1/2 inches of rain yesterday, it was pouring so hard a person could not see to drive.

Margaret I answered your e-mail, and yes we will get together when BIL is out of the woods.

IT IS NICE OUTSIDE SO I BETTER START DIGGING!
LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o
i shouldn't say out of the woods

I should say when things get a better.

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o

Mariann's box arrived! I found it by the front door this morning! We must of had a substitute mail person, usually ours rings the door bell.

Wow, what a nice box. I'll post later what Mariann sent. My Son's Leopard turtle needs to go to the vet. Mrs. Slowsky's not eating with gusto like she normally does. I can only imagine how much this is going to cost. It's $50 to walk in the door. ;)

Be back later!

Deb

o

Deb, I've never seen a Leopard turtle and I had to look it up. They do have very beautiful markings, and when Mrs. Slowsky is feeling better please post a picture.

Vic, please e-mail me your address as I'm digging your Iris today or tomorrow Bearded.

I'm getting a bit antsy, no word on BIL and DH does not answer his phone.

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o

Annie,
I am so sorry to hear about your BIL, good to know it is very treatable and maybe not something that needs to be fretted over. We all hear cancer and of course assume the worse, but knowing this is treatable and Docs are positive about that then it is really good news.
I am sleep deprived so it that doesn't sound like I am being positive I am sorry, that is how I mean for it to sound, only positive thoughts here!!!

We all are thinking about you and your family, good you are getting company, bad way to have family visit though...
I am going to shut-up now cuz I think I sound stupid at the moment...I need sleep I say, man I can't type right either...maybe I should go take a nap!!!

Deb, what'd you get???? We want to know...lol.

Pixie, I like your glasses, they look good. They suit you...you didn't mention the spooky glow behind you either...lol, funny how light can come across in a pic...

Ok, nuff said...

o

Fran, yes, I do understand what you are trying to say. LOL. Hey, you are sleep deprived and you make heck of lot more sense than I do when I'm in that shape.

DH finally called, and said BIL is doing so,so. I said so,so my you know what, I know how Shelby did when they took his when he was 16. You just don't bounce back like you did when you are 5.

I've dug some of the iris and have dug too many of the Time Traveler, so I will think of another game, I don't want to have to replant it.

BACK LATER,
Annie

o

Annie,
So sorry to hear about your BIL! But, yes, I have also heard that is very treatable. I bet he does feel bad after the surgery, tonsils get worse to have out the older you are, I hope he feels better soon!
Also, I found the camera! Not sure where the book is to it! LOL. I will send you my addy and if you send yours back to me I'll get it out next week. Don't worry about doing a trade for it right now, you have too much going on. Just go ahead and use it, and you can send it back when you get one. If something should happen to it, then you can send me plants in place of it next spring. It is nice to have a spare around for times like this : )

Pix, your glasses are cute!

Fran, the washer will give you lots of water, that is if you do the amount of wash I do! LOL
Just DON'T forget to put the hose on when doing laundry! I did that once! The hallway got a bath! LOL

Vic

o

Vic, wondering if you got my message the beginning of tthis week. I hope to mail your package the beginning of next week. This month is flying.
Your ideas for use of grey water would have been very helpful last summer. Drought killed many new plants in my garden.
BB

o

Oh no Vic, u didn't...that is something I would do...I am glad I am not the only one!

We have gotten some not a lot but some rain the last few days. I moved some dirt out of a few things I can use to collect a little more water so that helps too.
Just a few minutes ago I remembered where we might can get some 55 gallon barrels, I will go check into that as soon as I can...I would love to have a large 2100/2500 gallon cistern...a few would be great, last month our water use went from 4500 gallons to 10600 I was floored when I saw it and how much water we used...
I used to have an above ground swimming pool that held 21500 gallons of water. We stopped using it to swim in but collected rain water, I used it to water some stuff at times, but back then we were on a well, but the pool was right handy , and my Kois LOVED it...lol. I sure wish I still had it now.

o

Beth, I emailed ya back yesterday. Maybe in your spam folder? I'll resend it to ya.
Vic

o

Ya know Fran, several times I have thought about taking water from our above ground pool and using it on plants but I use our pool too much so I am scared the chlorine will just finish the job that the weather here (drought) has started on my plants. LOL. A friend and I were talking today about my veggie garden which now has a whopping 2/3 bell pepper plants and 2/3 eggplant plants and just ONE somewhat live tomato plant, other than that its grass and marigolds in ma garden! The peppers are producing like crazy, I have two eggs on my eggplants and lol the tomato, hmmm well it has some green leaves at the top of a long bare stem but hey its still green so there is still hope eh???? I don't want to pull all of the grass because thats practically the only place in my back yard that has any grass so I just plan on eventually mowing it!

I love the washer/water idea and would LOVE to be able to implement that into our water conservation plan here! Where were you with these ideas a long time ago Vic??? Shame on you! (J/K sweetie)

o

Pixie, yes cool picture of you ;O) ;o).

Vic, thanks so much!

BIL's oldest son is here but busy with Dh. He will be leaving soon to go visit his dad. He was released this morning, and feeling kinda punk.

I'm going outside to get some things done. You guys would not believe how bad the weeds are here, and I have to finish digging iris.

GAME TIME

If I was talented, what kind of instrument would I play. This is for Tall Bearded Iris Time Traveler.

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o

Annie, I don't know you as well as some of the other folk her but I am gonna guess anyway...lol.

Guess: Piano

I dun know...uhh uhh....

o

Maybe it would be a guitar.
BB

o

Annie, I sent you an email, lmk if you didn't get it, I'm having a really hard time with ppl not getting my email. I even sent 3 emails to myself and only got 2 of them! GRRRR Yahoo!

I have an idea, but am going to give someone else a chance to win : )

Vic

o

Vic, I didn't get it. But you go ahead and guess. I've got plenty of stuff to share. Did you send it through GW? I don't seem to get any mail from here, unless of course I've done something wrong and they want to remind me of it. LOL

BIL's children are so responsible, and considerate. They said,"Aunt Annie, don't fret about waiting on us, we know you like being outside." They said, "don't plan any dinner, as we will pick up something and cook out for you guys on the way back." Even the children made their beds; I'm impressed.

Going back outside.
LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o

Annie, Im going to guess a flute.

Karen

o

Nope,none of the above. Although I can hunt and peck on the piano. Try again! Isn't this fun?

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o

Oh Annie please say it ain't drums...lol, that is noisey when u r practing lol...

o

Annie, I'll sure keep your BIL and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

I think I will guess a harp.

Sassy

o

Annie-I'm going to say the violin. Sorry to hear about you BIL. Your BIL and family are in my thoughts and wishes for a full recovery.

Trina-Nice glasses! Very attractive. I need to get a new pair too.

Fran-If I could send you some rain I would. There were tornado warnings yesterday evening for us and NYC which is only an hour away.

Deb-I'm glad your box arrived. Hope you like what I sent.

Sassy-How is your DH doing? I hope you are able to get a little rest.

My DD and SIL are suppose to come over on Monday. I'm not suppose to do anything heavy with my arm, because of my shoulder. Anyway my SIL is going to help me by enlarging a few beds. I'm just hoping they don't punk out!
Have a great day,
Mariann

o

MARIANN YOU WON, I THINK THE VIOLIN HAS TO BE THE NEATEST INSTRUMENT, AND WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR ARM?

My tomatoes are doing good, except for I can not remember what kind of plants I bought. Although they get huge, I don't think they are the best tasting, and I want to know what everyone plants. They don't have to get huge, I just want a good tasting slicing tomato.

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

P.S. Mariann please send me your address.

o
sassy

How is your DH doing?

o

Annie, sent you email, hopefully this one will get to ya.
Vic

o

Congrats Mariann! You go girl! Hoping they get your beds fixed up for you.

Jerry is doing much better, hes only taking a pain med when he goes to bed at night. His wounds are healing well.
(I'd post pics but I don't won't to gross anyone out) lol Julie is still in a good bit of pain but I can tell shes better, shes up moving around a little more now.

I'm low in the rest department but I'm fine, the day after this happened to Jerry I received 3 boxes full of plants, so I'm still getting plants in the ground when I have some free time, lol.

Pix, I forgot....that was a great pic! (I saw that evil twin trying to peek thru *grin*)

o

Vic, I finally found it! OMG it was in the spam folder, I should have looked before I deleted it earlier.

Sassy, I'm so glad you DH is feeling better.

Ok ladies, I need names of tomatoes that are the best tasting . Remember they don't need to get huge, just a nice slicing tomato.

o

I always plant beefsteak. They have a good tomato flavor and are a nice slicing size. The vines can get pretty big but they are managable.
They also produce nice round tomatoes usually, sometimes you will get an odd space but most of the time they're round.

Congrats Mariann! I wish I would have thought of that one. I always thought that would be a cool thing to play too. BUT very hard.
I want to play guitar, yep that and the piano again. I used to be able to read notes and play some, put that was a LONG time ago and I've fotgotten how to do any of it.

Anywho...that's it for me for now...hehe.

o

YEAH---I won...I wonSmileyCentral.com
I'm so excited!!! I chose the violin because it's my favorite instrument. The music it makes can be soulful or uplifting. Can't beat it!

I injured my R shoulder 8 years ago swimming. Then 3 years ago I fractured my humerus a fraction of an inch below my R shoulder. I now have a tendon that's completely severed and avascular necrosis (bone marrow death). Plus there is arthritis there too. Fran has a blow by blow report.LOL I think Sassy does too!
Now I'm going to go look up my prize.
Mariann

o

The kids are back and they are going to grill out, I will be back later this evening.

Mariann, below is a link that will show you what it looks like

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.greenhornvalleyirises.com/images/Time_Traveler.jpg

o
ouch

Wow Mariann, take care of your shoulder, and I hope they get your beds done for you. Where would we be without family? Don't forget to send you address.

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o

Sassy, glad to hear they are doing better, maybe when your DD is better she can take care of DH and you can go stay in a hotel for the night and get some sleep! LOL

Mariann, Congrats!
Ouch on the shoulder problems, are you getting any type of treatment for it?

Annie, glad you got it! For some reason my mail tends to do that : (

o

Mariann,
Your shoulder sounds painful! I had no idea bone marrow could die.
Thank you for the wonderful box! I'm so sorry I didn't post sooner. I've had nothing but problems since yesterday. Our turtle hasn't been eating like it should, so I took it to a reptile vet. The vet broke the turtle's leg during the exam! It was horrible! He was forcefully pulling on the leg, and I heard a loud pop/crack. The vet claimed that it was the toenails hitting the shell. I knew something was wrong, the poor turtle's leg was sort of dangling! The noise I heard was a bone breaking (or at least popping so I thought). The vet said there was nothing to worry about that the turtle's leg was just sore due to him manipulating it, so he might not use it for a day or so. The vet then did not do the other leg, he put the turtle down. I took the vet's word, only because I thought he knew what he was doing. He said the turtle was in good health and recommended more dried greenery. Today I knew that the turtle wasn't right. I bring him out in my garden each day and the little leg dragged. I immediately called the vet (which is a 24 hr. emergency service vet) and said something wasn't right with the leg that the vet pulled out forcefully. I had 4 xrays done tonight, and sure enough the little leg is broken. They said they would talk with the vet and ask him why so much force was used? And why!
I had a friend in the room with me too, so I had a witness to what went on in the office. Now the poor turtle won't eat at all! I went to whole foods and picked up all his favorites! Hopefully, by tomorrow he'll start eating. I thought it was a female but the vet said no, it's a male.
Poor Mr. Slowsky! He now has his leg pushed back up in his shell, and taped closed. It should heal in 6 weeks. The vet's office promised that if he doesn't live, they will buy us a new turtle. I don't want another turtle, I want the one we have! My Son is devastated! I did tell the vet's office that the vet that broke the leg is not allowed to treat the turtle anymore, I want a different vet!
I'm still so shaken up about the vet breaking the turtle's leg! You would never ever think of anything like this happening!

Sorry to get offtrack! Your box was the best, I loved the cookbooks, herbs, seeds and Paltzgraff (oil cruet and cheese shaker), cooking magazine!

Giant hugs for the box! I'm going to bed! I'm sooo tired!

Thank you sooo much!
Deb

o

Deb Last summer we were nursing a sick turtle at the State Park nature center. She had an upper respiratory infection and would not eat. It was a challenge for us and a trial for the poor turtle.
Three or four times a day we were force feeding her ( definately a two person job) and the soaking her in a warm antibiotic bath. She did recover and was eventually released back into the wild.
Wishing the best for Mr Slowsky and all of his helpers. You especially need to keep him warm and eating.
Bethb

o

Hello all, sorry I have been so quiet lately. We have had a very busy time around here lately. I've been trying to catch up on all the posts little by little and then back to the craziness that is going on here.

Congratulations Mariann on winning Annie's Iris! That is so cool. I wish your shoulder was better. I know how frustrating it is to be limited like that. Making the lasagna beds has been a nice switch from digging for me and has saved my shoulder quite a bit. I'm glad you will have help expanding your beds!

Sassy, that is great news about Jerry. He is a quick healer. I hope you get a chance to rest soon.

Trina, those glasses totally suit you! I love them on your pretty face!

Deb, I am just disgusted with that vet. I just can't believe it. I feel terrible for Mr. Slowski. Poor little guy.

Annie, tell your hubby that he has a partner in Poison Ivy now. My 3 year old daughter got into a patch of it without me knowing and now has it on her toes, legs, rear end, neck and arms. Silly girl must have rolled in the stuff. We've done the alcohol wipes, technu wash, stripped bedding, washed clothes, etc. In the hopes of containing it. Luckily she is still in a good mood. Fun times!

I'm praying for your BIL, that is good news that the doctors think it is so treatable. Have fun with the kids! Oh, and the maters I grow here are Better Boy. I used to grow Big Boy but they were a little bit watery in comparison. The Better Boy seems to be a little sweeter and has more flesh to it. They are larger and fit nicely on a sandwich. Not quite as big as Beef Steak but a nice size for me.

Have a great day all!

Tracy

o

Annie-Time Traveler is such a rich yellow. I'm looking forward to having it in my Iris bed. Did you get my email.

Deb-Your poor turtle!!! Hope he gets better soon.
Mariann

o

Thanks for all the well wishes for Mr. Slowsky. He's still not eating. I can't force feed him, his head pops in the shell (within a second) and it won't come out. I've been placing all of his favorite foods by his head opening (for when it does come out). He's very stubborn! I looked up how long a turtle can go without eating on the internet and it said 14 days with no harm. Hopefully, he'll be better by then. I forgot to mention that I'm giving him a shot a day of antibiotic. Giving a shot to a turtle is an experience! I have to aim the needle in between the spiny areas of the front claws. I couldn't figure out how to get the air bubbles out, I tried tapping the needle. So I had to start over and refill it at least 6 times. Finally no air bubbles were in the last try. I dread giving the shot today. I'm going to do it before he goes to bed, so hopefully, he'll forget by morning and not hold a grudge.
I did ask the emergency vet if it was common for a vet to pull out legs that retracted. The vet said yes, they like to check the limbs strenghth. But, they should only use a reasonable amount of force. This little guy is a year and a half old, and can live to be 100! He was only there for a wellness checkup/picky eater. Slowsky's basking in the sun, per vet's orders (vitamin d needed) to help that leg heal. I have to go check to see if he's doing ok outside. It's hot today.

Deb

o

Mariann, yes I did get your address, and I will get it out to you this coming week, along with those who won.

Deb, so sorry to hear about Mr. Slowsky. I'm no pro here, but I've gave enough shots to my sisters,and beloved yellow lab (Gave him a shot twice a day for three years;diabetic) that maybe this will help. Pull the plunger all the way up then put it in the bottle of medicine and push down the plunger. Then pull up to fill the needle. Did I make sense? Maybe this will help eliminate some of the bubbles.

Oh my Tracy, sorry to hear your little one has poison ivy. Dh has finally agreed to go to the doctor this coming week for a shot and medicine. He doesn't have real big blisters, but it is not healing like it should.

BIL Is doing better today, he has been sipping cold beverages, and eating real soft foods. His Children are visiting him again today. DH and I will pick a day out next week when there is not so many people at one time there. I'm not for sure when they are going to start treatment, but I imagine they will start it soon.

Last evening, the kids fixed grilled chicken. Boy, it sure was good. We also had corn on the cob, cottage cheese, and sliced tomatoes.

I can't believe the price of potatoes at the store. Now I wish I would have planted some. I was going to pick some up but not for $5.00 for five lbs.

Pixie, hope you are getting used to your glasses.

Beth, how is it going with your travels?

Hope I didn't miss anyone
It is nice today, we have the windows open.
LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o

Annie,
Yes that does help, thanks so much! I didn't pull the plunger up all the way. The vet did not show me how to give a shot, so I did what I thought you would do. Now to dispose of the needles. The vet said to call our garbage co. and have them come pick them up? You can't toss them in the trash, even in a container. I can't bring them back to the vet's office either.

Deb

o
and

If you have to shake the medicine to make sure it is mixed, roll it instead in the palms of your hands. This should eliminate some of the bubbles for you.

I'm not for sure where to tell you to take the needles. I gave them to my sisters and from there, I think when their sharps container is full they dropped it off at the health department. I will have to ask, that is a good question.

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o

I was going to say check with your health dept. but Annie beat me too it. I was told who to take them to one time, but I can't remember. I think it is the health dept. my son had to get the epi pen cuz he is allergic to bees and I think that is what they told us to do...I would have to ask myself before I disposed of one if we had to use it. I know the old ones can be taken back when unused for them to dispose of.
Ded, that is awful what that vet did, it is not acceptable. The office should NOT be charging you for ANY treatment now I would think!

Annie, so glad things are looking better there.

Tracy it is amazing how children can react to different stuff, I am sure we on the other hand would be very moody...lol. I can't stand the thought of getting that stuff now, when I encounter it I avoid it like the plague. I will even side step WAY away from it. If I think I get it on my shoes I will wash them down with ammonia while still on my feet as to not touch the possible juice before removing...

We got rain again last night, the storms that we had were awful but I am thankful for the rain. It has rained everyday since we were put on water restrictions, I think it is funny. I am glad, but I think it is weird it has turned out this way

Well, hope everybody is having a good weekend, off to go fix supper. I am hungry...Annie listing her good food up there didn't help either, lol.

:)Fran

o

Hi, Lovely Ladies, Sunday evening & what a wonderful week we have had here. Cool mornings and evenings and not above the low 80's with a shower or two thrown in. Seems more like Sept than Aug. Got lots done outside which pleases me much. I have been keeping up with the posts and what a time many of us are having. Remembering each of you in thought and prayers with problems, accidents and pets suffering.

Annie, please don't worry about sending the exchange any time soon. Keeping your family in prayer.

Pixie-Love those glasses which I also have to get soon. A place in town is having suppliers in with frames so I decided to take a look. The ones I really wanted would be $600 with lens and all. I said "I don't think so" Met my girlfriend for lunch one day, she had got her frames at Sam's for $89 and had WallMart do lenses for her. Am debating my next step but can't see the $600.

Sassy-So glad for the recovery of your DH.Hope it is quick and complete real soon. Please remember to take care of yourself!

Deb-What a time you have been having and what an awful experience with the Vet. It's difficult enough when one of our pets we love so very much can't tell us what is wrong and then have something like that happen. Pray he is now improving from the favorite food and loving care you are providing. Please keep us posted. We care!

Mariann-How is that shoulder and am so hoping you got the work done that was going to happen this weekend. Isn't it wonderful for those who care help us out when needed?

Have a great week, all and if I left anyone out please forgive. Blessings, Margaret

o

Tracy, sorry to hear about your little girl! I hope she gets better quick.

Deb, I just can't believe that about your vet! It is just horrible! And I can't believe they sent you home with injections and no instructions! If I were you, I think I would look around for a new office.
Try calling your pharmacy and asking about the needle disposal I'm sure they will have some ideas. Also, call your Dr. if you don't have many, they will prob. let you drop them off there. The only reason I can think that the vet doesn't take them back is because they have to pay for hazardous waste removal, and it sounds like after all they put you and Mr. Slowsky through, it is the LEAST they could do for you!
Offering to buy you a new turtle is absurde! Would they do that if it was someones dog or cat?! You can't just "replace" a pet!
Ok, enough ranting! I just feel very bad for you and they way they treated Mr Slowsky.
Also, a couple tiny air bubbles will not hurt him, that is only if it's in a vein.

We went on a little trip today to a park and Zack started screaming bloody murder in the back of the van on the way there! He was screaming about a bug (he has screamed when a mosquito has landed on him, but not like this!) Of course Jamie is saying "it better not be just a fly your screaming about" The poor kid was almost hyperventilating! Then I seen his finger start swelling, then I seen the WASP, a big one! Jamie felt bad after that, and got worried. He was severly allergic to bee stings when he was little. So, we stopped and got some benadryl and a banana. By now his whole finger was swollen and he couldn't even bend it. I read that a banana peel is good for bug bites, so I wrapped a piece of it on his finger and taped it on, within minutes he said it felt better and the swelling started to go down!
Just a couple days ago I read a post on GW about all the things bananas can do, it was quite interesting. I'll see if I can find it again and post it, I think I clipped it.

Vic

o
bananas and recipe

Ok here is the banana list:

A professor at CCNY for a physiological psych class told his class about bananas.? He said the expression "going bananas" is from the effects of bananas on the brain.? Read on:

Never, put your banana in the refrigerator!!!

This is interesting.

After reading this, you'll never look at a banana in the same way again.

Bananas contain three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber. A banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy.

Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world's leading athletes.

But energy isn't the only way a banana can help us keep fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.

Depression: According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.

PMS: Forget the pills - eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.

Anemia: High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.

Blood Pressure: This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it perfect to beat blood pressure. So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.

Brain Power: 200 students at a Twickenham (Middlesex) school ( England ) were helped through their exams this year by eating bananas at breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.

Constipation: High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.

Hangovers: One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey. The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.

Heartburn: Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.

Morning Sickness: Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.

Mosquito bites: Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation.

Nerves: Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system.

Overweight and at work? Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate and chips. Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohy drate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.

Ulcers: The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronicler cases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.

Temperature control: Many other cultures see bananas as a "cooling" fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand , for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): Bananas can help SAD sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer tryptophan.

Smoking &Tobacco Use: Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking. The B6, B12 they contain, as well as the potassium and magnesium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.

Stress: Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels.. These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack.

Strokes: According to research in The New England Journal of Medicine, eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%!

Warts: Those keen on natural alternatives swear that if you want to kill off a wart, take a piece of banana skin and place it on the wart, with the yellow side out. Carefully hold the skin in place with a plaster or surgical tape!

So, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills. When you compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrate, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around So maybe its time to change that well-known phrase so that we say, "A banana a day keeps the doctor away!"

PASS IT ON TO YOUR FRIENDS

PS: Bananas must be the reason monkeys are so happy all the time! I will add one here; want a quick shine on our shoes?? Take the INSIDE of the banana skin, and rub directly on the shoe....polish with dry cloth. Amazing fruit !!!

OK, NOW HERE'S A RECIPE!
I found this on recipezaar.com (I love that site)
It says it makes 2 pies, I made one very thick one.

Easy strawberry cream pie

I sometimes make a crust in a 13x9 pan and serve squares. This looks nice to serve to company and no-one knows how easy it is.Cook time includes chill time.
by hokiegal
1 hours : 8 min prep

2 pies

3 containers strawberry yogurt (the already mixed up ones are better)
1 container Cool Whip
1 cup sliced strawberries (can use defrosted frozen if fresh not available)
2 graham cracker pie crust

Slice strawberries and let sit.

Mix Cool Whip and yogurt together.
Fold in strawberries and pour into pie crusts.
Chill at least one hour to set.

That's it! And it was good! : )
Vic

o

Wow Vic, thanks for the info. I'm glad I like bananas. The only thing I have to disagree on is the heartburn thing, I have it so bad, and bananas make it worse. I can't blame the banana though, everything makes it bad sometimes.

I like banana milkshakes....ummm....this is good, yeap.
Banana splits too, but they are so rich I have to split (no pun intented)them with someone...and I haven't had one in a year I know...

Oh...the BEST BANANA:
Frozen Banana:
Peel a banana place it on a saucer, cover with plastic wrap stick it in the freezer, let it freeze. This takes a while, so put it in the freezer in the morning it will be ready later on.
Remove from freezer, cover with chocolate syrup (there is a sugar-free version of this too)
Roll in crushed peanuts if desired. I can do without the nuts,
THIS IS SO GOOD!!!
It is a quick fix for easy dessert and chocolate...lol

Ok, I am done with the banana stuff now,

o

Hi girls,
I hope everyone is doing well. I promise to go back and read posts, just can't do it tonight. I was hoping some of you would keep it going for me, it seems I only brought you all down, I certainly didn't mean to, I'm sorry I can't get on anymore than I have.

I took Julie to the dr today and he laughed at the meds they gave her at the ER. $150 after her insurance shes now resting finally. It makes me sick how shes suffered for a week. Ok, I need to go to bed, sorry, I'm severaly pissed right now,lol.

We need a game! I've got to get SOMETHING else on my mind besides dh/dd! Let me see, hummmmmmm

Tell me McKenzie's favorite new words! Its 2 words. I may or may not answer tonight. I'll tell you tommorrrow what you win, but you'll like it:))

o

Sassy, we all understand you have your hands full right now, just try to get some rest when you can! I don't blame you, I'd be pissed too! I don't even like the thought of looking for a new Dr for Zack, but I know I need to before we need one! I think everyones been busy lately, all the threads are slow.

I'm gonna guess "Oh Shoot" LOL
(it won't let me post the 4 letter word!)

Annie, I mailed it today, you should have gotten a DC# by email, if not lmk and I'll send it to ya.

Fran, I love frozen choc covered nanners! I haven't had one in years! I think I'm gonna have to make some now.

o

Vic-WOW thanks for all the info about the delicious 'banana'!

Sassy-You are definitely not bringing me down!! I care about you and if you need to unload then go for it. I'm sure everyone else feels the same way.
Now for Kenzie's favorite 2 words: NO and COOKIE

Fran-I've never eaten a choc. covered banana. Sounds yummy.

Tracy-How is your daughter doing?
Have a great day
Photobucket

o

Sorry I was missing in action.

Margaret, part of your package will be mailed out this week, yes it is irises. I wanted you to get them so they can get in the ground, and hope they do good for you The rest will be coming, or when we can get together. I will also mail out prizes, I'm off till Friday night.

Vic, thanks so much! I will check my spam folder.

Saw BIL yesterday he is feeling better, and his spirits are up. I told him there is so much they can do now, and we know this because of Shelby going through leukemia.

Sis Clara is in the hospital to monitor her heart. She was retaining lots and lots of fluid, was very short of breath and real tired all the time. So we went to visit her after visiting BIL. It seems like it is always something.

I think I've been jinxed since the camera broke. The blower on the furnace has to be fixed. The electrician was to come yesterday, but maybe today. I know he has been swamped.

I need to get off here as DH has an Dr.appointment this morning.

Sassy, I'm glad Julie is feeling better, isn't it amazing the price they charge for medicine. I remember one of the meds that Shelby took was 852.00 every 14 days. But where there is a will there is a way, and please note I'm not complaining. After exhausting our savings, we were told to contact the maker of the drug, I don't know if I can say it here so I won't. We told them the situation we were in and they provided the drug, free of charge. So, if you are every in this situation ask the pharmacy for the toll free number of the maker.

DH has a Dr. appointment this morning, so I better get busy.

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o
oh gee

I'm repeating myself.

Sassy I'm going to say Me-maw for grandma.

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o

Annie, I don't know why, but I didn't get one either and when I send online they always send me one. I also don't know why it wasn't accepted till 1am today?
Heres the dc# 0103 8555 7494 5428 9478

You sure have had your share lately! I won't even get started on the health insurance in this country! And if the pharmaceutical companies didn't spend so much money on all the crap they give the Drs offices and the packaging of the samples they give out (I'm sure some of the bottles they put ONE pill in cost more than the pill!) they wouldn't have to price the meds so high.

Anyhow.......hope your Sis starts feeling better!

Vic

o

Those are good guesses and all are in her limited little vocabulary but not what I'm looking for. lol Keep guessing.

Annie I'm glad your BIL is feeling a little better and hope your sis gets better real soon too.

Do any of you watch the Food Network? I love to watch Iron Chef. It amazes me how fast they work. Thank God I don't have to move that fast. lol

Sassy

o

No Sassy, you weren't bringing me down either, we all have troubles and it is good we can share with each other and HAVE each other for the support that sometimes we all need and look for here with the friends we have made.
I wasn't posting cuz, well I didn't want to be the ONLY one posting..lol.

Annie, OMG...it's just hit the fan with you all at once hasn't it? Poor girl...we'll be thinking about you and all your troubles too...life gets really rough sometimes doesn't? I am SHOCKED by how much that meds costed...and 2x a month geeze, that is terrible, is it just me noticing this or does everybody? The fact that the meds we seem to HAVE to have the most are the most expensive ones? Even in the generic versions of them too?
What does that say about the pharm. co.? They have us were they want us and know it. Vic mentioned about the packaging and free samples they give the Dr.s. My peeve with them is ALL the money they spend on sponsorships for sporting events (racing comes to mind most)instead of doing that they should keep that money so the drugs can be lowered for everybody...it is ridiculous...errr those companies!!!

Yah, aren't frozen bananas w/chocolate just the best? ummmm I wish I had some bananas now...lol.
OH galium,,,you just HAVE to at least try one...man oh man are they good..but you will need the sugar-free chocolate syrup for it...which isn't really as sweet as the real but you can sprinkle a little non-sugar sweetner on it...ok, I have to shut-up about them now...I WANT one!!! lol.

I have no clue what the little darling is saying sassy so I
will guess: no-no...lol.

Everybody just remember, this too shall pass...

o

Sassy, I LOVE food network, wish I could cook like some of those guys! I also like Good eats (even though it's kinda dorky!LOL) and diners, drive-ins and dives.

This is a hard one, I'm gonna say "I want" - those seem to be Zacks favorite words lately!

Anyone ever cook with a pressure cooker? I've used one for canning, but that one had a gage and made me feel "safer" I'm going to use one for the first time today, it's one I bought at a garages sale, I've done all the checking on the seal and the vents, but if you don't hear from me for a couple days............ J/K!

GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a job interview Monday!! The position I'm going for is only 20 hrs/wk, BUT has full benefits!! WHOO HOO health ins. again - it sure scares me not to have it with the little guy! And she said there are several more openings that I would be qualified for that they would go more into detail on Mon. This is the local hospital, and is known for helping put employees through school for further education! Maybe I can get started on my RN. I don't want to get too excited yet, but can't help it!

(I thought it was time for GOOD news around here! May it keep going onto everyone else!!)

Vic - off to test the pressure cooker

o

Ive been digging like a gopher.
Dee, Marianne, Pixie and Vic, your prizes were sent.

Fran I have the iris dug, but I have to dig your hosta, and plan on doing that tomorrow/

Margaret, Im still digging other Iris for your box, and will get them out to both of you no later than Saturday. More things will be coming/and or when we get together.

About the price of medicine, it is not only the manufacturer but the pharmacies. At least the manufacturer will help you out. I wont say what pharmacy it was but I remember Shelby needed 10 pills, 2 a day to get him through until the manufacture sent his medicine. The pharmacy told us we would have to buy the whole bottle as there were not that many people using the medicine in the town where we lived, and probably the remainder of the medicine would expire before being used. Now I didnt know a pharmacy could do that but I guess so. I told them then why would you even carry this medicine if that be the case. Of course we change pharmacies, and needless to say I was madder than H. I cant tell you how much money that pharmacy made from us, but I do not use there pharmacy anymore. At one point I wanted to put an article in the paper, but I didnt.

Sassy, Im going to say H- - - NO (After the H there is the vowel E, and then two LLs. I dont know if they would let me use the word. :O) :O) Oh yes, I love the food network.

Vic, I'm so happy for you and good luck on your Interview!

LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o

Hello There Everyone! I got some unexpected time off this afternoon and decided to catch up on reading the threads, so here I am! I'm supposed to be resting with an icepack on my left eye, but when have I ever been able to follow directions? The icepack is because I got hit in the corner over my eye with a heavy box today at work, nothing serious, just a burst blood vessel and a slight headache, and apparently I'll have a black eye within the next few days. There'd have been less damage if the box had fallen on my head, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Miss the hard head, and make me look like I've been in a fight! LOL!
I think I spent more time consoling Paula than anything. She was on the cellphone talking to me when it happened. Scared her a bit!
We had a lot of fun last week, though one of her aunts died last Tuesday and the funeral was Friday. They weren't real close, and it's a HUGE family (her mom was 1 of 17 kids), but we dealt with it okay. Saturday I got to meet some of her family at a birthday party, and man, can the ladies in her family cook!
And Vic? You're gonna have to tell me what the coughdrops were for. Paula had no clue either. We made good use of the rest of the stuff you ladies sent, especially the vanilla/almond oil. She likes it when I wear it behind my ears! hehehe, oooooooh, yeah!
I can see that I've missed a lot these past couple of weeks, that's for sure. Hopefully this'll find everyone feeling better and better! And, for those of you who aren't sick or feeling down, save these cheerful wishes for when they're needed!
I've got a question for anyone who has a cat amongst y'all. Is there a rehab center for cats? While I was away, my two boys got into the catnip and have become a couple of stoners. The plant is now outside, recovering from their "attentions", and they keep whining about me taking their "weed" away. They sure were a couple of happy cats when I got home!
More later.
-Dan

o

Hi all, we have been getting rain here YAY, Im not complaining but wish we'd had it about 2/3 months ago like this. Oh well.

Sassers ya don't bring us down sweetie. I am going to guess on Kenzies phrase that she says "Love You" she is too cute to say anything bad lol. (but then hmm she is alot like her Memaw! j/k)

Dan, ya know what they say about driving while talking on the cell phone eh? Its the cause of accidents, MAYBE you shouldn't walk at work while talking on the cell. Just a suggestion.

OUCH Annie, I am glad ya'll changed pharmacy's. I can't believe they said that to you. Like you said, "why in hades would they even keep the meds on hand if they expire so?

Well I hope ya'll have a great day/evening.

Pixie

o

WE HAVE AIR! I'm so happy, the electrician just left! Things are looking up it wasn't the motor. It was some kind of switch, and so it will not be as costly. I'm spoiled, I know there are many people out there that do not have air, and I'm thankful for it.

Ok, Can I play another game while Sassy is playing hers?

Dan, I don't know what to say about leaving out the catnip while you were gone. What the heck were you thinking of? LOL

Pixie, I'm glad you are getting some rain.

LATER,
LIFE IS GOOD,
Annie

o

Many thanks to all of you. I love knowing we can all come here and vent to friends. It really does help.

Annie bless your heart, I can't imagine having to pay that much for a perscription. Healthcare and the whole works are just out of hand in this country. It's really rediculous. Jerry and I do not have insurance. I had a minor surgery back in March and my bill was almost $10,000 and I can't even imagine what Jerry's bill is going to be.
And naturally they tell him he makes too much money to get aid. Anyway, I've decided I'm going back to work and make sure we have some insurance and help him with these bills.
Men are so hard headed! (Sorry Dan) I've preached at him for years.....we're getting older here, we need to get some insurance! Oh well, they might can take this house but I have one they can't touch, lol. Don't get me wrong, we have no intention of not paying each month, but the hospital wanted $300 a month for my bill before this even happened to Jerry. That is just outrageous and its not happening. I won't committ to more than I know I can do, now if I can send more a particular month, I will. K, nuff of that! lol

Fran....no no is what I say to HER! lol (I'll give you all a clue shortly) Annie....she does call me MeMaw. Vic...when Kenzie wants something its just....Me! Me! Me! lol and I mean until you give it to her! 20/hrs a week plus benefits? girl I'm thrilled for you, sure wish I could find something like that. I was planning to put an application in at the hospital, lol, I've spent so much time there lately, I figured, why not? Good luck sweetie, I have my fingers crossed for you:) And YES! We did need some happy news in here! Annie, lol, no she hasn't gotten to that one yet (the H*!! no) but she did say the 's' word right behind guess who? Yep, her MeMaw! And btw, I wouldn't have went back to that darn pharmacy either!

Dan, the cat story is too funny! Put plenty of food out! lol

Pix, lol, she hasn't learned my bad habits yet, well except one, and thankfully its only that one word. Glad you got some badly needed rain.

Annie, sure you can! Anyone can play a game anytime even if we already have one going. I'm dying to get my hands on some of your beautiful iris:))) *grin* So happy about your a/c, I'll bet its the connect switch, we had that problem at the riverhouse a month or so back. I think we're all spoiled when it comes to a/c's.

OK, its time for a hint!

When she's about to get into something (which is all the time) and she sees me coming to get her, she sticks that little hand out and basically is telling me to take a hike. It should be easy now:) Remember, its only 2 little words.

Jeeezzzz, I didn't mean to write a letter!
Sassy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here