15 years ago

Lets hope this helps our problem.

Goodnite,

Sassy

Comments (149)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh no Vic, u didn't...that is something I would do...I am glad I am not the only one!

We have gotten some not a lot but some rain the last few days. I moved some dirt out of a few things I can use to collect a little more water so that helps too.
    Just a few minutes ago I remembered where we might can get some 55 gallon barrels, I will go check into that as soon as I can...I would love to have a large 2100/2500 gallon cistern...a few would be great, last month our water use went from 4500 gallons to 10600 I was floored when I saw it and how much water we used...
    I used to have an above ground swimming pool that held 21500 gallons of water. We stopped using it to swim in but collected rain water, I used it to water some stuff at times, but back then we were on a well, but the pool was right handy , and my Kois LOVED it...lol. I sure wish I still had it now.

:) Fran

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Beth, I emailed ya back yesterday. Maybe in your spam folder? I'll resend it to ya.
    Vic

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Ya know Fran, several times I have thought about taking water from our above ground pool and using it on plants but I use our pool too much so I am scared the chlorine will just finish the job that the weather here (drought) has started on my plants. LOL. A friend and I were talking today about my veggie garden which now has a whopping 2/3 bell pepper plants and 2/3 eggplant plants and just ONE somewhat live tomato plant, other than that its grass and marigolds in ma garden! The peppers are producing like crazy, I have two eggs on my eggplants and lol the tomato, hmmm well it has some green leaves at the top of a long bare stem but hey its still green so there is still hope eh???? I don't want to pull all of the grass because thats practically the only place in my back yard that has any grass so I just plan on eventually mowing it!

I love the washer/water idea and would LOVE to be able to implement that into our water conservation plan here! Where were you with these ideas a long time ago Vic??? Shame on you! (J/K sweetie)

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Pixie, yes cool picture of you ;O) ;o).

Vic, thanks so much!

BIL's oldest son is here but busy with Dh. He will be leaving soon to go visit his dad. He was released this morning, and feeling kinda punk.

I'm going outside to get some things done. You guys would not believe how bad the weeds are here, and I have to finish digging iris. GAME TIME

If I was talented, what kind of instrument would I play. This is for Tall Bearded Iris Time Traveler.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Annie, I don't know you as well as some of the other folk her but I am gonna guess anyway...lol.

Guess: Piano

I dun know...uhh uhh....

• beth_b_kodiak
    15 years ago

Maybe it would be a guitar.
    BB

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Annie, I sent you an email, lmk if you didn't get it, I'm having a really hard time with ppl not getting my email. I even sent 3 emails to myself and only got 2 of them! GRRRR Yahoo!

I have an idea, but am going to give someone else a chance to win : )

Vic

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Vic, I didn't get it. But you go ahead and guess. I've got plenty of stuff to share. Did you send it through GW? I don't seem to get any mail from here, unless of course I've done something wrong and they want to remind me of it. LOL

BIL's children are so responsible, and considerate. They said,"Aunt Annie, don't fret about waiting on us, we know you like being outside." They said, "don't plan any dinner, as we will pick up something and cook out for you guys on the way back." Even the children made their beds; I'm impressed.

Going back outside.
    LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

Annie, Im going to guess a flute.

Karen

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Nope,none of the above. Although I can hunt and peck on the piano. Try again! Isn't this fun?

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Oh Annie please say it ain't drums...lol, that is noisey when u r practing lol...

• sassyd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Annie, I'll sure keep your BIL and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

I think I will guess a harp.

Sassy

• galium
    15 years ago

Annie-I'm going to say the violin. Sorry to hear about you BIL. Your BIL and family are in my thoughts and wishes for a full recovery.

Trina-Nice glasses! Very attractive. I need to get a new pair too.

Fran-If I could send you some rain I would. There were tornado warnings yesterday evening for us and NYC which is only an hour away.

Deb-I'm glad your box arrived. Hope you like what I sent.

Sassy-How is your DH doing? I hope you are able to get a little rest.

My DD and SIL are suppose to come over on Monday. I'm not suppose to do anything heavy with my arm, because of my shoulder. Anyway my SIL is going to help me by enlarging a few beds. I'm just hoping they don't punk out!
    Have a great day,
    Mariann

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

MARIANN YOU WON, I THINK THE VIOLIN HAS TO BE THE NEATEST INSTRUMENT, AND WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR ARM?

My tomatoes are doing good, except for I can not remember what kind of plants I bought. Although they get huge, I don't think they are the best tasting, and I want to know what everyone plants. They don't have to get huge, I just want a good tasting slicing tomato.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

P.S. Mariann please send me your address.

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

How is your DH doing?

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Annie, sent you email, hopefully this one will get to ya.
    Vic

• sassyd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Congrats Mariann! You go girl! Hoping they get your beds fixed up for you.

Jerry is doing much better, hes only taking a pain med when he goes to bed at night. His wounds are healing well.
    (I'd post pics but I don't won't to gross anyone out) lol Julie is still in a good bit of pain but I can tell shes better, shes up moving around a little more now.

I'm low in the rest department but I'm fine, the day after this happened to Jerry I received 3 boxes full of plants, so I'm still getting plants in the ground when I have some free time, lol.

Pix, I forgot....that was a great pic! (I saw that evil twin trying to peek thru *grin*)

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Vic, I finally found it! OMG it was in the spam folder, I should have looked before I deleted it earlier.

Sassy, I'm so glad you DH is feeling better.

Ok ladies, I need names of tomatoes that are the best tasting . Remember they don't need to get huge, just a nice slicing tomato.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

I always plant beefsteak. They have a good tomato flavor and are a nice slicing size. The vines can get pretty big but they are managable.
    They also produce nice round tomatoes usually, sometimes you will get an odd space but most of the time they're round.

Congrats Mariann! I wish I would have thought of that one. I always thought that would be a cool thing to play too. BUT very hard.
    I want to play guitar, yep that and the piano again. I used to be able to read notes and play some, put that was a LONG time ago and I've fotgotten how to do any of it.

Anywho...that's it for me for now...hehe.

• galium
    15 years ago

YEAH---I won...I won
    I'm so excited!!! I chose the violin because it's my favorite instrument. The music it makes can be soulful or uplifting. Can't beat it!

I injured my R shoulder 8 years ago swimming. Then 3 years ago I fractured my humerus a fraction of an inch below my R shoulder. I now have a tendon that's completely severed and avascular necrosis (bone marrow death). Plus there is arthritis there too. Fran has a blow by blow report.LOL I think Sassy does too!
    Now I'm going to go look up my prize.
    Mariann

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

The kids are back and they are going to grill out, I will be back later this evening.

Mariann, below is a link that will show you what it looks like

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1292375}}

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Wow Mariann, take care of your shoulder, and I hope they get your beds done for you. Where would we be without family? Don't forget to send you address.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Sassy, glad to hear they are doing better, maybe when your DD is better she can take care of DH and you can go stay in a hotel for the night and get some sleep! LOL

Mariann, Congrats!
    Ouch on the shoulder problems, are you getting any type of treatment for it?

Annie, glad you got it! For some reason my mail tends to do that : (

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Mariann,
    Your shoulder sounds painful! I had no idea bone marrow could die.
    Thank you for the wonderful box! I'm so sorry I didn't post sooner. I've had nothing but problems since yesterday. Our turtle hasn't been eating like it should, so I took it to a reptile vet. The vet broke the turtle's leg during the exam! It was horrible! He was forcefully pulling on the leg, and I heard a loud pop/crack. The vet claimed that it was the toenails hitting the shell. I knew something was wrong, the poor turtle's leg was sort of dangling! The noise I heard was a bone breaking (or at least popping so I thought). The vet said there was nothing to worry about that the turtle's leg was just sore due to him manipulating it, so he might not use it for a day or so. The vet then did not do the other leg, he put the turtle down. I took the vet's word, only because I thought he knew what he was doing. He said the turtle was in good health and recommended more dried greenery. Today I knew that the turtle wasn't right. I bring him out in my garden each day and the little leg dragged. I immediately called the vet (which is a 24 hr. emergency service vet) and said something wasn't right with the leg that the vet pulled out forcefully. I had 4 xrays done tonight, and sure enough the little leg is broken. They said they would talk with the vet and ask him why so much force was used? And why!
    I had a friend in the room with me too, so I had a witness to what went on in the office. Now the poor turtle won't eat at all! I went to whole foods and picked up all his favorites! Hopefully, by tomorrow he'll start eating. I thought it was a female but the vet said no, it's a male.
    Poor Mr. Slowsky! He now has his leg pushed back up in his shell, and taped closed. It should heal in 6 weeks. The vet's office promised that if he doesn't live, they will buy us a new turtle. I don't want another turtle, I want the one we have! My Son is devastated! I did tell the vet's office that the vet that broke the leg is not allowed to treat the turtle anymore, I want a different vet!
    I'm still so shaken up about the vet breaking the turtle's leg! You would never ever think of anything like this happening!

Sorry to get offtrack! Your box was the best, I loved the cookbooks, herbs, seeds and Paltzgraff (oil cruet and cheese shaker), cooking magazine!

Giant hugs for the box! I'm going to bed! I'm sooo tired!

Thank you sooo much!
    Deb

• beth_b_kodiak
    15 years ago

Deb Last summer we were nursing a sick turtle at the State Park nature center. She had an upper respiratory infection and would not eat. It was a challenge for us and a trial for the poor turtle.
    Three or four times a day we were force feeding her ( definately a two person job) and the soaking her in a warm antibiotic bath. She did recover and was eventually released back into the wild.
    Wishing the best for Mr Slowsky and all of his helpers. You especially need to keep him warm and eating.
    Bethb

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Hello all, sorry I have been so quiet lately. We have had a very busy time around here lately. I've been trying to catch up on all the posts little by little and then back to the craziness that is going on here.

Congratulations Mariann on winning Annie's Iris! That is so cool. I wish your shoulder was better. I know how frustrating it is to be limited like that. Making the lasagna beds has been a nice switch from digging for me and has saved my shoulder quite a bit. I'm glad you will have help expanding your beds!

Sassy, that is great news about Jerry. He is a quick healer. I hope you get a chance to rest soon.

Trina, those glasses totally suit you! I love them on your pretty face!

Deb, I am just disgusted with that vet. I just can't believe it. I feel terrible for Mr. Slowski. Poor little guy.

Annie, tell your hubby that he has a partner in Poison Ivy now. My 3 year old daughter got into a patch of it without me knowing and now has it on her toes, legs, rear end, neck and arms. Silly girl must have rolled in the stuff. We've done the alcohol wipes, technu wash, stripped bedding, washed clothes, etc. In the hopes of containing it. Luckily she is still in a good mood. Fun times!

I'm praying for your BIL, that is good news that the doctors think it is so treatable. Have fun with the kids! Oh, and the maters I grow here are Better Boy. I used to grow Big Boy but they were a little bit watery in comparison. The Better Boy seems to be a little sweeter and has more flesh to it. They are larger and fit nicely on a sandwich. Not quite as big as Beef Steak but a nice size for me.

Have a great day all!

Tracy

• galium
    15 years ago

Annie-Time Traveler is such a rich yellow. I'm looking forward to having it in my Iris bed. Did you get my email.

Deb-Your poor turtle!!! Hope he gets better soon.
    Mariann

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the well wishes for Mr. Slowsky. He's still not eating. I can't force feed him, his head pops in the shell (within a second) and it won't come out. I've been placing all of his favorite foods by his head opening (for when it does come out). He's very stubborn! I looked up how long a turtle can go without eating on the internet and it said 14 days with no harm. Hopefully, he'll be better by then. I forgot to mention that I'm giving him a shot a day of antibiotic. Giving a shot to a turtle is an experience! I have to aim the needle in between the spiny areas of the front claws. I couldn't figure out how to get the air bubbles out, I tried tapping the needle. So I had to start over and refill it at least 6 times. Finally no air bubbles were in the last try. I dread giving the shot today. I'm going to do it before he goes to bed, so hopefully, he'll forget by morning and not hold a grudge.
    I did ask the emergency vet if it was common for a vet to pull out legs that retracted. The vet said yes, they like to check the limbs strenghth. But, they should only use a reasonable amount of force. This little guy is a year and a half old, and can live to be 100! He was only there for a wellness checkup/picky eater. Slowsky's basking in the sun, per vet's orders (vitamin d needed) to help that leg heal. I have to go check to see if he's doing ok outside. It's hot today.

Deb

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Mariann, yes I did get your address, and I will get it out to you this coming week, along with those who won.

Deb, so sorry to hear about Mr. Slowsky. I'm no pro here, but I've gave enough shots to my sisters,and beloved yellow lab (Gave him a shot twice a day for three years;diabetic) that maybe this will help. Pull the plunger all the way up then put it in the bottle of medicine and push down the plunger. Then pull up to fill the needle. Did I make sense? Maybe this will help eliminate some of the bubbles.

Oh my Tracy, sorry to hear your little one has poison ivy. Dh has finally agreed to go to the doctor this coming week for a shot and medicine. He doesn't have real big blisters, but it is not healing like it should.

BIL Is doing better today, he has been sipping cold beverages, and eating real soft foods. His Children are visiting him again today. DH and I will pick a day out next week when there is not so many people at one time there. I'm not for sure when they are going to start treatment, but I imagine they will start it soon.

Last evening, the kids fixed grilled chicken. Boy, it sure was good. We also had corn on the cob, cottage cheese, and sliced tomatoes.

I can't believe the price of potatoes at the store. Now I wish I would have planted some. I was going to pick some up but not for $5.00 for five lbs.

Pixie, hope you are getting used to your glasses.

Beth, how is it going with your travels?

Hope I didn't miss anyone
    It is nice today, we have the windows open.
    LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Annie,
    Yes that does help, thanks so much! I didn't pull the plunger up all the way. The vet did not show me how to give a shot, so I did what I thought you would do. Now to dispose of the needles. The vet said to call our garbage co. and have them come pick them up? You can't toss them in the trash, even in a container. I can't bring them back to the vet's office either.

Deb

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

If you have to shake the medicine to make sure it is mixed, roll it instead in the palms of your hands. This should eliminate some of the bubbles for you.

I'm not for sure where to tell you to take the needles. I gave them to my sisters and from there, I think when their sharps container is full they dropped it off at the health department. I will have to ask, that is a good question.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

I was going to say check with your health dept. but Annie beat me too it. I was told who to take them to one time, but I can't remember. I think it is the health dept. my son had to get the epi pen cuz he is allergic to bees and I think that is what they told us to do...I would have to ask myself before I disposed of one if we had to use it. I know the old ones can be taken back when unused for them to dispose of.
    Ded, that is awful what that vet did, it is not acceptable. The office should NOT be charging you for ANY treatment now I would think!

Annie, so glad things are looking better there.

Tracy it is amazing how children can react to different stuff, I am sure we on the other hand would be very moody...lol. I can't stand the thought of getting that stuff now, when I encounter it I avoid it like the plague. I will even side step WAY away from it. If I think I get it on my shoes I will wash them down with ammonia while still on my feet as to not touch the possible juice before removing...

We got rain again last night, the storms that we had were awful but I am thankful for the rain. It has rained everyday since we were put on water restrictions, I think it is funny. I am glad, but I think it is weird it has turned out this way

Well, hope everybody is having a good weekend, off to go fix supper. I am hungry...Annie listing her good food up there didn't help either, lol.

:)Fran

• margaret_2007
    15 years ago

Hi, Lovely Ladies, Sunday evening & what a wonderful week we have had here. Cool mornings and evenings and not above the low 80's with a shower or two thrown in. Seems more like Sept than Aug. Got lots done outside which pleases me much. I have been keeping up with the posts and what a time many of us are having. Remembering each of you in thought and prayers with problems, accidents and pets suffering.

Annie, please don't worry about sending the exchange any time soon. Keeping your family in prayer.

Pixie-Love those glasses which I also have to get soon. A place in town is having suppliers in with frames so I decided to take a look. The ones I really wanted would be $600 with lens and all. I said "I don't think so" Met my girlfriend for lunch one day, she had got her frames at Sam's for $89 and had WallMart do lenses for her. Am debating my next step but can't see the $600.

Sassy-So glad for the recovery of your DH.Hope it is quick and complete real soon. Please remember to take care of yourself!

Deb-What a time you have been having and what an awful experience with the Vet. It's difficult enough when one of our pets we love so very much can't tell us what is wrong and then have something like that happen. Pray he is now improving from the favorite food and loving care you are providing. Please keep us posted. We care!

Mariann-How is that shoulder and am so hoping you got the work done that was going to happen this weekend. Isn't it wonderful for those who care help us out when needed?

Have a great week, all and if I left anyone out please forgive. Blessings, Margaret

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Tracy, sorry to hear about your little girl! I hope she gets better quick.

Deb, I just can't believe that about your vet! It is just horrible! And I can't believe they sent you home with injections and no instructions! If I were you, I think I would look around for a new office.
    Try calling your pharmacy and asking about the needle disposal I'm sure they will have some ideas. Also, call your Dr. if you don't have many, they will prob. let you drop them off there. The only reason I can think that the vet doesn't take them back is because they have to pay for hazardous waste removal, and it sounds like after all they put you and Mr. Slowsky through, it is the LEAST they could do for you!
    Offering to buy you a new turtle is absurde! Would they do that if it was someones dog or cat?! You can't just "replace" a pet!
    Ok, enough ranting! I just feel very bad for you and they way they treated Mr Slowsky.
    Also, a couple tiny air bubbles will not hurt him, that is only if it's in a vein.

We went on a little trip today to a park and Zack started screaming bloody murder in the back of the van on the way there! He was screaming about a bug (he has screamed when a mosquito has landed on him, but not like this!) Of course Jamie is saying "it better not be just a fly your screaming about" The poor kid was almost hyperventilating! Then I seen his finger start swelling, then I seen the WASP, a big one! Jamie felt bad after that, and got worried. He was severly allergic to bee stings when he was little. So, we stopped and got some benadryl and a banana. By now his whole finger was swollen and he couldn't even bend it. I read that a banana peel is good for bug bites, so I wrapped a piece of it on his finger and taped it on, within minutes he said it felt better and the swelling started to go down!
    Just a couple days ago I read a post on GW about all the things bananas can do, it was quite interesting. I'll see if I can find it again and post it, I think I clipped it.

Vic

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Ok here is the banana list:

A professor at CCNY for a physiological psych class told his class about bananas.? He said the expression "going bananas" is from the effects of bananas on the brain.? Read on:

Never, put your banana in the refrigerator!!!

This is interesting.

After reading this, you'll never look at a banana in the same way again.

Bananas contain three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber. A banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy.

Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world's leading athletes.

But energy isn't the only way a banana can help us keep fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.

Depression: According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.

PMS: Forget the pills - eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.

Anemia: High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.

Blood Pressure: This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it perfect to beat blood pressure. So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.

Brain Power: 200 students at a Twickenham (Middlesex) school ( England ) were helped through their exams this year by eating bananas at breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.

Constipation: High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.

Hangovers: One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey. The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.

Heartburn: Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.

Morning Sickness: Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.

Mosquito bites: Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation.

Nerves: Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system.

Overweight and at work? Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate and chips. Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohy drate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.

Ulcers: The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronicler cases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.

Temperature control: Many other cultures see bananas as a "cooling" fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand , for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): Bananas can help SAD sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer tryptophan.

Smoking &Tobacco Use: Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking. The B6, B12 they contain, as well as the potassium and magnesium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.

Stress: Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels.. These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack.

Strokes: According to research in The New England Journal of Medicine, eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%!

Warts: Those keen on natural alternatives swear that if you want to kill off a wart, take a piece of banana skin and place it on the wart, with the yellow side out. Carefully hold the skin in place with a plaster or surgical tape!

So, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills. When you compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrate, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around So maybe its time to change that well-known phrase so that we say, "A banana a day keeps the doctor away!"

PASS IT ON TO YOUR FRIENDS

PS: Bananas must be the reason monkeys are so happy all the time! I will add one here; want a quick shine on our shoes?? Take the INSIDE of the banana skin, and rub directly on the shoe....polish with dry cloth. Amazing fruit !!!

OK, NOW HERE'S A RECIPE!
    I found this on recipezaar.com (I love that site)
    It says it makes 2 pies, I made one very thick one.

Easy strawberry cream pie

I sometimes make a crust in a 13x9 pan and serve squares. This looks nice to serve to company and no-one knows how easy it is.Cook time includes chill time.
    by hokiegal
    1¼ hours : 8 min prep

2 pies

3 containers strawberry yogurt (the already mixed up ones are better)
    1 container Cool Whip
    1 cup sliced strawberries (can use defrosted frozen if fresh not available)
    2 graham cracker pie crust

Slice strawberries and let sit.

Mix Cool Whip and yogurt together.
    Fold in strawberries and pour into pie crusts.
    Chill at least one hour to set.

That's it! And it was good! : )
    Vic

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Wow Vic, thanks for the info. I'm glad I like bananas. The only thing I have to disagree on is the heartburn thing, I have it so bad, and bananas make it worse. I can't blame the banana though, everything makes it bad sometimes.

I like banana milkshakes....ummm....this is good, yeap.
    Banana splits too, but they are so rich I have to split (no pun intented)them with someone...and I haven't had one in a year I know...

Oh...the BEST BANANA:
    Frozen Banana:
    Peel a banana place it on a saucer, cover with plastic wrap stick it in the freezer, let it freeze. This takes a while, so put it in the freezer in the morning it will be ready later on.
    Remove from freezer, cover with chocolate syrup (there is a sugar-free version of this too)
    Roll in crushed peanuts if desired. I can do without the nuts,
    THIS IS SO GOOD!!!
    It is a quick fix for easy dessert and chocolate...lol

Ok, I am done with the banana stuff now,

• sassyd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi girls,
    I hope everyone is doing well. I promise to go back and read posts, just can't do it tonight. I was hoping some of you would keep it going for me, it seems I only brought you all down, I certainly didn't mean to, I'm sorry I can't get on anymore than I have.

I took Julie to the dr today and he laughed at the meds they gave her at the ER. $150 after her insurance shes now resting finally. It makes me sick how shes suffered for a week. Ok, I need to go to bed, sorry, I'm severaly pissed right now,lol.

We need a game! I've got to get SOMETHING else on my mind besides dh/dd! Let me see, hummmmmmm

Tell me McKenzie's favorite new words! Its 2 words. I may or may not answer tonight. I'll tell you tommorrrow what you win, but you'll like it:))

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Sassy, we all understand you have your hands full right now, just try to get some rest when you can! I don't blame you, I'd be pissed too! I don't even like the thought of looking for a new Dr for Zack, but I know I need to before we need one! I think everyones been busy lately, all the threads are slow.

I'm gonna guess "Oh Shoot" LOL
    (it won't let me post the 4 letter word!)

Annie, I mailed it today, you should have gotten a DC# by email, if not lmk and I'll send it to ya.

Fran, I love frozen choc covered nanners! I haven't had one in years! I think I'm gonna have to make some now.

• galium
    15 years ago

Vic-WOW thanks for all the info about the delicious 'banana'!

Sassy-You are definitely not bringing me down!! I care about you and if you need to unload then go for it. I'm sure everyone else feels the same way.
    Now for Kenzie's favorite 2 words: NO and COOKIE

Fran-I've never eaten a choc. covered banana. Sounds yummy.

Tracy-How is your daughter doing?
    Have a great day

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Sorry I was missing in action.

Margaret, part of your package will be mailed out this week, yes it is irises. I wanted you to get them so they can get in the ground, and hope they do good for you The rest will be coming, or when we can get together. I will also mail out prizes, I'm off till Friday night.

Vic, thanks so much! I will check my spam folder.

Saw BIL yesterday he is feeling better, and his spirits are up. I told him there is so much they can do now, and we know this because of Shelby going through leukemia.

Sis Clara is in the hospital to monitor her heart. She was retaining lots and lots of fluid, was very short of breath and real tired all the time. So we went to visit her after visiting BIL. It seems like it is always something.

I think I've been jinxed since the camera broke. The blower on the furnace has to be fixed. The electrician was to come yesterday, but maybe today. I know he has been swamped.

I need to get off here as DH has an Dr.appointment this morning.

Sassy, I'm glad Julie is feeling better, isn't it amazing the price they charge for medicine. I remember one of the meds that Shelby took was 852.00 every 14 days. But where there is a will there is a way, and please note I'm not complaining. After exhausting our savings, we were told to contact the maker of the drug, I don't know if I can say it here so I won't. We told them the situation we were in and they provided the drug, free of charge. So, if you are every in this situation ask the pharmacy for the toll free number of the maker.

DH has a Dr. appointment this morning, so I better get busy.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

I'm repeating myself.

Sassy I'm going to say Me-maw for grandma.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Annie, I don't know why, but I didn't get one either and when I send online they always send me one. I also don't know why it wasn't accepted till 1am today?
    Heres the dc# 0103 8555 7494 5428 9478

You sure have had your share lately! I won't even get started on the health insurance in this country! And if the pharmaceutical companies didn't spend so much money on all the crap they give the Drs offices and the packaging of the samples they give out (I'm sure some of the bottles they put ONE pill in cost more than the pill!) they wouldn't have to price the meds so high.

Anyhow.......hope your Sis starts feeling better!

Vic

• sassyd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Those are good guesses and all are in her limited little vocabulary but not what I'm looking for. lol Keep guessing.

Annie I'm glad your BIL is feeling a little better and hope your sis gets better real soon too.

Do any of you watch the Food Network? I love to watch Iron Chef. It amazes me how fast they work. Thank God I don't have to move that fast. lol

Sassy

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

No Sassy, you weren't bringing me down either, we all have troubles and it is good we can share with each other and HAVE each other for the support that sometimes we all need and look for here with the friends we have made.
    I wasn't posting cuz, well I didn't want to be the ONLY one posting..lol.

Annie, OMG...it's just hit the fan with you all at once hasn't it? Poor girl...we'll be thinking about you and all your troubles too...life gets really rough sometimes doesn't? I am SHOCKED by how much that meds costed...and 2x a month geeze, that is terrible, is it just me noticing this or does everybody? The fact that the meds we seem to HAVE to have the most are the most expensive ones? Even in the generic versions of them too?
    What does that say about the pharm. co.? They have us were they want us and know it. Vic mentioned about the packaging and free samples they give the Dr.s. My peeve with them is ALL the money they spend on sponsorships for sporting events (racing comes to mind most)instead of doing that they should keep that money so the drugs can be lowered for everybody...it is ridiculous...errr those companies!!!

Yah, aren't frozen bananas w/chocolate just the best? ummmm I wish I had some bananas now...lol.
    OH galium,,,you just HAVE to at least try one...man oh man are they good..but you will need the sugar-free chocolate syrup for it...which isn't really as sweet as the real but you can sprinkle a little non-sugar sweetner on it...ok, I have to shut-up about them now...I WANT one!!! lol.

I have no clue what the little darling is saying sassy so I
    will guess: no-no...lol.

Everybody just remember, this too shall pass...

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Sassy, I LOVE food network, wish I could cook like some of those guys! I also like Good eats (even though it's kinda dorky!LOL) and diners, drive-ins and dives.

This is a hard one, I'm gonna say "I want" - those seem to be Zacks favorite words lately!

Anyone ever cook with a pressure cooker? I've used one for canning, but that one had a gage and made me feel "safer" I'm going to use one for the first time today, it's one I bought at a garages sale, I've done all the checking on the seal and the vents, but if you don't hear from me for a couple days............ J/K!

GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have a job interview Monday!! The position I'm going for is only 20 hrs/wk, BUT has full benefits!! WHOO HOO health ins. again - it sure scares me not to have it with the little guy! And she said there are several more openings that I would be qualified for that they would go more into detail on Mon. This is the local hospital, and is known for helping put employees through school for further education! Maybe I can get started on my RN. I don't want to get too excited yet, but can't help it!

(I thought it was time for GOOD news around here! May it keep going onto everyone else!!)

Vic - off to test the pressure cooker

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Ive been digging like a gopher.
    Dee, Marianne, Pixie and Vic, your prizes were sent.

Fran I have the iris dug, but I have to dig your hosta, and plan on doing that tomorrow/

Margaret, Im still digging other Iris for your box, and will get them out to both of you no later than Saturday. More things will be coming/and or when we get together.

About the price of medicine, it is not only the manufacturer but the pharmacies. At least the manufacturer will help you out. I wont say what pharmacy it was but I remember Shelby needed 10 pills, 2 a day to get him through until the manufacture sent his medicine. The pharmacy told us we would have to buy the whole bottle as there were not that many people using the medicine in the town where we lived, and probably the remainder of the medicine would expire before being used. Now I didnt know a pharmacy could do that but I guess so. I told them then why would you even carry this medicine if that be the case. Of course we change pharmacies, and needless to say I was madder than H. I cant tell you how much money that pharmacy made from us, but I do not use there pharmacy anymore. At one point I wanted to put an article in the paper, but I didnt.

Sassy, Im going to say H- - - NO (After the H there is the vowel E, and then two LLs. I dont know if they would let me use the word. :O) :O) Oh yes, I love the food network.

Vic, I'm so happy for you and good luck on your Interview!

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Hello There Everyone! I got some unexpected time off this afternoon and decided to catch up on reading the threads, so here I am! I'm supposed to be resting with an icepack on my left eye, but when have I ever been able to follow directions? The icepack is because I got hit in the corner over my eye with a heavy box today at work, nothing serious, just a burst blood vessel and a slight headache, and apparently I'll have a black eye within the next few days. There'd have been less damage if the box had fallen on my head, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Miss the hard head, and make me look like I've been in a fight! LOL!
    I think I spent more time consoling Paula than anything. She was on the cellphone talking to me when it happened. Scared her a bit!
    We had a lot of fun last week, though one of her aunts died last Tuesday and the funeral was Friday. They weren't real close, and it's a HUGE family (her mom was 1 of 17 kids), but we dealt with it okay. Saturday I got to meet some of her family at a birthday party, and man, can the ladies in her family cook!
    And Vic? You're gonna have to tell me what the coughdrops were for. Paula had no clue either. We made good use of the rest of the stuff you ladies sent, especially the vanilla/almond oil. She likes it when I wear it behind my ears! hehehe, oooooooh, yeah!
    I can see that I've missed a lot these past couple of weeks, that's for sure. Hopefully this'll find everyone feeling better and better! And, for those of you who aren't sick or feeling down, save these cheerful wishes for when they're needed!
    I've got a question for anyone who has a cat amongst y'all. Is there a rehab center for cats? While I was away, my two boys got into the catnip and have become a couple of stoners. The plant is now outside, recovering from their "attentions", and they keep whining about me taking their "weed" away. They sure were a couple of happy cats when I got home!
    More later.
    -Dan

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Hi all, we have been getting rain here YAY, Im not complaining but wish we'd had it about 2/3 months ago like this. Oh well.

Sassers ya don't bring us down sweetie. I am going to guess on Kenzies phrase that she says "Love You" she is too cute to say anything bad lol. (but then hmm she is alot like her Memaw! j/k)

Dan, ya know what they say about driving while talking on the cell phone eh? Its the cause of accidents, MAYBE you shouldn't walk at work while talking on the cell. Just a suggestion.

OUCH Annie, I am glad ya'll changed pharmacy's. I can't believe they said that to you. Like you said, "why in hades would they even keep the meds on hand if they expire so?

Well I hope ya'll have a great day/evening.

Pixie

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

WE HAVE AIR! I'm so happy, the electrician just left! Things are looking up it wasn't the motor. It was some kind of switch, and so it will not be as costly. I'm spoiled, I know there are many people out there that do not have air, and I'm thankful for it.

Ok, Can I play another game while Sassy is playing hers?

Dan, I don't know what to say about leaving out the catnip while you were gone. What the heck were you thinking of? LOL

Pixie, I'm glad you are getting some rain.

LATER,
    LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• sassyd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Many thanks to all of you. I love knowing we can all come here and vent to friends. It really does help.

Annie bless your heart, I can't imagine having to pay that much for a perscription. Healthcare and the whole works are just out of hand in this country. It's really rediculous. Jerry and I do not have insurance. I had a minor surgery back in March and my bill was almost $10,000 and I can't even imagine what Jerry's bill is going to be.
    And naturally they tell him he makes too much money to get aid. Anyway, I've decided I'm going back to work and make sure we have some insurance and help him with these bills.
    Men are so hard headed! (Sorry Dan) I've preached at him for years.....we're getting older here, we need to get some insurance! Oh well, they might can take this house but I have one they can't touch, lol. Don't get me wrong, we have no intention of not paying each month, but the hospital wanted $300 a month for my bill before this even happened to Jerry. That is just outrageous and its not happening. I won't committ to more than I know I can do, now if I can send more a particular month, I will. K, nuff of that! lol

Fran....no no is what I say to HER! lol (I'll give you all a clue shortly) Annie....she does call me MeMaw. Vic...when Kenzie wants something its just....Me! Me! Me! lol and I mean until you give it to her! 20/hrs a week plus benefits? girl I'm thrilled for you, sure wish I could find something like that. I was planning to put an application in at the hospital, lol, I've spent so much time there lately, I figured, why not? Good luck sweetie, I have my fingers crossed for you:) And YES! We did need some happy news in here! Annie, lol, no she hasn't gotten to that one yet (the H*!! no) but she did say the 's' word right behind guess who? Yep, her MeMaw! And btw, I wouldn't have went back to that darn pharmacy either!

Dan, the cat story is too funny! Put plenty of food out! lol

Pix, lol, she hasn't learned my bad habits yet, well except one, and thankfully its only that one word. Glad you got some badly needed rain.

Annie, sure you can! Anyone can play a game anytime even if we already have one going. I'm dying to get my hands on some of your beautiful iris:))) *grin* So happy about your a/c, I'll bet its the connect switch, we had that problem at the riverhouse a month or so back. I think we're all spoiled when it comes to a/c's.

OK, its time for a hint!

When she's about to get into something (which is all the time) and she sees me coming to get her, she sticks that little hand out and basically is telling me to take a hike. It should be easy now:) Remember, its only 2 little words.

Jeeezzzz, I didn't mean to write a letter!
    Sassy

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!