Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

o
update: obf august brides swap

Posted by EricaBraun 9b CA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 1:31

Looks like our last thread hit its limit. Here is a new thread with a recap of the current points, as well as Monday's new Scavenger Hunt plant.

Jayeanne - 3pts
Mary - 3pts
Promise - 1pt
Laura - 1pt

I have to admit that I was tempted to give Promise and Laura an extra point for having the plant, but then I decided that Mary and Jayeanne actually went to the effort of going to the store and taking a picture, which is a hell of a lot more hassle. So, everyone got a point!

Monday's plant: Rose Bush.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: update: obf august brides swap

Day 4 -

Ruth and Susan.... my little roses =)

very odd and strange weather here.... feels like fall in the air with ol man winter right on its tail.....

Jayeanne

o

Yes, same here ... a chilly August weekend. Yet they say it will be 90 here next Saturday.

Due to logistical reasons, including and not limited to: White Sox game attendance, physical location of camera phone, odd overcast weather but no rain, re-gardening in new location, Jackie Robinson team representing Great Lakes in Little League World Series tonight at seven, there will be a delay in the posting of today's rosebush picture.

Roses, I love them. Roses I have grown and loved: Queen Elizabeth, Fragrant Cloud, Antigua, Just Joey, Sheer Bliss, Knock Out (original) , Europeana, Chicago Peace, Color Magic. I have stewarded at the local rose show many times, wonderful adventures there. I am looking forward to growing Frances Mediland--any of you have that?

You are right: Color Magic and Just Joey are not winter hardy here. Best fragrance? Fragrant Cloud, but also like Abraham Darby a David Austin rose.

Mary E.

o

Jayeanne,

I shipped your package today. PID: 9114901189866370844344 Expected delivery date is 8/21

Mary,

Not a problem posting your picture tomorrow. Thanks for letting me know.

o

I'll start updating our list of who has shipped and who has received:

Erica sends to Jayeanne - Shipped
Shirley sends to Erica
Jayeanne sends to Vina
Mary sends to Promise
Promise sends to Mary
Vina sends to Shirley

o

Who wants a treat??? WE DO!!!! This is Pepper(black) Chalk(red border collie) Brewster(Cha-weenie). They are my gardening pack. Not pictured is Salty the Austrilian Terrier and Holly the Pug.

o

This awesome lady, a former Knoxville Rose Society participant, gave me her roses. It is subjective if our rose bushes have to be alive? LOL I have not had good luck with roses but I hope that is about the change because I have about 15 of them now. It was not great timing for the transplant but at least it hasn't been scorching outside. Any advice on the roses is welcome. I have learned that roses need 90 inches of rain a year.

How do you like that red clay? Ugh!!!

~ Promise

This post was edited by pmb2005 on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 13:38

o

Promise,

I love your pack of dogs. Chalk is so pretty. And yes, those do count as roses!

o

My rose was planted by the former homeowner WAY TOO CLOSE to the house, and it's refusing to be dug up!
 photo IMAG0081.jpg

Also, this morning Zoe went hunting through the livingroom (which always scares me) and found a frog!  photo IMAG0079.jpg No idea when or how this little guy got inside but I was able to rescue him from becomming too much of a "snack". photo IMAG0080.jpg Our other cat Rufus just sat and watched, the lazy bum. :)

o

Laura,

Your roses are beautiful! Nice cat and frog/toad too. Your watermelons in diapers were my favorite. Congrats on your beautiful Sugar Babies.

o

Laura,

Zoe's on top of it! She's going to make sure there's no uninvited guests.

o

Erica - thanks for letting me know Ill be watching for it and will let you know when it arrives. Wanted to let you know that I did mail out Vinas package on Sat. and according to the tracking it was delivered today.

Happy Monday!
Jayeanne

o

Who has shipped and who has received:

Erica - Shipped
Shirley
Jayeanne - Shipped
Mary
Promise
Vina - Received

This post was edited by EricaBraun on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 12:21

o

Here are the points from Mon:

Jayeanne - 4pts
Mary - 3pts (awaiting rose pic)
Promise - 2pts
Laura - 2pts

Tuesday's hunt is tomato plant!

o

Morning!

Yes, I did receive a my package yesterday. It was a much needed break from iris splitting, lol.

Jayeanne sent me the cutest card,

1. Off my list: seeds for the kiddos to plant (THANK YOU!),
2. Something Old: Beefsteak Tomato seeds YUM!
3. Something New: Lidakense Sedum Cuttings. Got these planted yesterday. THANK YOU!
4. Something Borrowed: Chocolate...already gone, lol.
5. Something Blue: ' Blue Jaradale' Pumpkin Seeds. Already starting on my pumpkin stash for next years crop, lol.

I have been trying to grow pumpkins for years now. Never get more than the big blooms. This year we have 2 PUMPKINS! The kids and I are SO EXCITED!!!!

THANK YOU JAYEANNE!! WONDERFUL SURPRISE YESTERDAY!!

Shirley's package will be going out later today :) I'll post tracking when I get back from the po :)

Talk to you later!
vina

o

I expect to get those two photos posted later today. I love seeing the pets and plants. And the daughters.

Hey the Jackie Robinson West team won, they play again tonight! Against Texas?

Mary E.

o

Day 5

Here are my tomatoes ....

Jayeanne

o

Once Mary gets her pictures posted, it looks like we might be in for a tie breaker!

o

Oh, I will have some good ones! Dodging thunderstorm here.
Mary E.

o

Love all the pictures!

Shirley your Bridal Registry is on its way :) Tracking number is: 9114 9999 4423 8118 5464 56

Have a great day!
vina

o

Who has shipped and who has received:

Erica - Shipped
Shirley
Jayeanne - Shipped
Mary
Promise
Vina - Shipped & Received

o

Indigo Blue Berries, cherry tomatoes

o

Pink single climber rosebush

o

Mary wow! your indigo blue berries tomatoes looks soooo yummy!!! Is this an heirloom? and such beautiful roses!

Jayeanne

o

Uh oh! Looks like we have a tie! And we're close to having a winner.

Mary and JayeAnne, here is your tie-breaker question. Whoever guesses closest to the correct number is the winner.
How many fruit trees do I have growing on my property?

o

LOL Ill guess 23

Jayeanne

o

When do I have to answer by? I'm watching the kids play Texas and I still have to make dinner.

There are six of those Indigo Blue Berries plants out there. They are very dramatic in the sunlight. Panicles of black marbles and some anthocyanin in the stems, too. Those things are green on the bottom and will turn red when ripe! Sort of what they call a new heirloom--if it catches on. OP, anyway.

Mary E.

o

Mary,

No real rush. Anytime later today, or tomorrow, at the latest.

And I do have to say that I love your tomato pic. I grew indigo apple this year and one turned dark purp, but the rest were mostly red. I guess they didn't get as much sun. How do you like the flavor on yours?

o

Here is a picture of my Stump of the World. As for trees in Erica's yard, I am going to guess 8.

This post was edited by pmb2005 on Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 4:31

o

Great picture, Promise! I'm growing Stump of the World this year too. The first few had BER, but the rest seem to be doing good.

o

I have not tasted any yet! Four kinds of tomatoes, and they are all in the same stage of ripening. I cannot tell what will be first. The very first tomatoes were on a Black Cherry and that main central part flopped over in the two days of hot wind last month. I propped it up, then it got knocked the other way. So a month ago, I was going to give up and cut it off, I had my pocketkknife in my hand. When I put my hand on it, it just came off--with those first tomatoes. I brought it indoors and stuck it in water to show my son later. Within a day, it occured to me to cut the damaged end off and root it, because I could see root bumps on there. I cut the fruit off and stuck it in a paper bag to ripen. Nada, on the fruit. But the stem top in water rooted well, I planted next to the base it came off. Two half plants growing next to each other. And they have flowers and fruit, a bit behind the other plants. I did pick a Jalapeno yesterday, first one.

The Little League game still close ...

Mary E.

o

Just coming to update you all on my daughters pregnancy. Well last wed, she chickened out and didnt do the induction, last night she went in to do it, she was up all night in pain, she couldnt handle it she was vomiting, they did a csection this morning and at 8:41 my granddaughter Ainsley Marie was born.. mom and baby are doing wonderful..

o

Welcome to Ainsley Marie! Some day she may live on Ainslie Avenue in Chicago!

This tie breaker is killing me. I would like to say 23 so we can keep it a tie. If that's not Ok, my second guess is seventeen.

Oh, and the Jackie Robinson West team won, they are still in the Little League Championship in Pennsylvania. It is a big deal here, Cook County hasn't had a team go this far in thirty or so years! They cannot keep their orange T-shirts in stock, printing them as fast as they can.
Mary E.

o

(although I guessed on the low side, part of me thinks Erica may have a tree seedling nursery for trading or maybe her backyard is shady because of all the fruit trees)

Erica, I was wondering if you need Nightshade for your Solanceae garden? Can't spell this early.

Mary E.

o

Mary,

I'd love some nightshade!

Nikki,

Congratulations on your new granddaughter! So glad mom and baby are healthy.

This post was edited by EricaBraun on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 11:25

o

And we do have a winner! Congratulations Mary!

Mary was closest with her guess of 17. I have 10 fruit trees. I certainly wish I had the 23 JayeAnne guessed (if I had the room I would), and I wish that the only reason my backyard was all shade was because of fruit trees (have a 30+ foot pine tree that is the bane of my existence). Here's what I have for fruit trees:
Pomegranate
Naval Orange
Apple
Lemon
Bearrs Lime
Peach x3 (dwarf, Early Elberta, Elberta)
Avocado
Clementine Orange

Games will resume Monday the 25th (please have your package mailed off by then). And since I have absolutely loved seeing everyone's garden treasures, be prepared for another picture game!

o

Yay!! Congrats Mary!! Well deserved with those beautiful photos you shared with us! If you ever decide to share/trade any of your blue cherry tomato seeds - I would love a couple seeds to try =)

Erica - you have a very nice selection of fruit trees! yum!

Just this morning was able to get a better photo of one of my garden visitors....

Jayeanne

o

Great picture, Jayeanne! They don't usually hold still long enough to get a good picture. :)

o

Mary,

Your package is ready to go, however I don't seem to have an address for you. I sent you an email. If you don't get it, just hollar at me with your address.

o

Erica! Wow! what a fun bridal package arrived today!

Gift Registry: seeds for my butterfly garden! YAY! the butterflys and I thank you so much!! =)
*Milady Aster
*Shasta Daisy
*Scarlet Sage
*Blue China Aster
*French lavender

Something Old: Christmas Lima Bean (aka Large speckled Calico) - these are amazing Erica! first time to be trying this and super excited!

Something New: 2015 Monthly planner (thanks for helping keep me organized! LOL love this!) and Blush Tomato - yum!

Something Borrowed: seeds from my 'want' list 'borrowed' from Ericas 'have' list, LOL! awesome selection!
*Blackberry Lily
*Poppy assortment
*California Poppy
*Foxglove Beardtongue
*Goats Beard
*Hardy hibiscus
*Violet Dusk Penstemon
*Blue Larkspur
*Orange King Zinnia
*Pineapple Sage

Something Blue: Notepads, pen, blank note cards (always love these!) blue organza bags, blue enchantment convolvulus, and Virginia blue bells.....wow Erica!

All neatly wrapped and packaged - I felt like a child on Christmas opening your package =)

Thank you so much Erica!

Jayeanne

o

Jayeanne,

So glad it arrived safely and thrilled that you enjoyed it!

o

Shipped/Received Update:

Erica - Shipped
Shirley
Jayeanne - Shipped & Received
Mary
Promise

o

What! I won? I was off-line. I just got home from volunteering at the food pantry.

Wow, thank you, Erica. I was so relieved not to be sent to photograph Strawberry Spinach or loofah sponge growing! I almost had my son pre-emptively photograph every plant in the yard, LOL.

This will be my first time saving tomato seeds, so I bought Kumatos at the grocery to practice on. Yes, Jayeanne I will send you some. They are so showy in the sunshine, compared to green tomatoes.

Mary E.

o

Mary,

Lol. I actually have Strawberry Spinach growing in my yard, no loofah though!

If you haven't settled on a method for saving your tomato seeds, you might want to check out WinterSown's tutorial. I like their method. It's a lot faster than leaving the seeds in a bowl of water for a week.

I sent you an email, but if you didn't get it, please email me your address. I checked on OBF and FOTESS's address lists and couldn't find you on either.

Here is a link that might be useful: Saving Tomato Seeds

o

Thanks for the link, checking that out this morning. Pepper seeds are so easy to save.

o

Mary,

Your prize pack went out today!

o

Erica, no rush, but I will need your address to send the Nightshade.

Mary E.

o

Oh, super! Thanks! Emailing you!

o

hello decided to stop in . Did not play this month. But am ready to spend time with u girls again. Yea raining again Susan

o

Susan, I'm new ... you are one of the ones that inspired me.

Erica, I haven't had a email from you. Just checking. Did you get mine? Possible email issue. I get other peoples. I sent you two.

The Jackie Robinson West team won, they play tomorrow and if they win Sat, the Mayor has promised a ticker tape parade in Chicago!

Mary E.

o

Susan,

So glad you decided to stop by. Mon I'll be starting a new game for all OBF members. Hopefully you'll get a chance to play with us!

Mary,

I got your email about the wrong zip code. I did respond. Turns out that you did give me the wrong one. Hope the package manages to make its way there, or at least back to me to resend. I'll try emailing you my address again.

o

Yeah, I watered the garden after I came home Weds night, i was beyond tired. I don't know what the PO does these days--at least since the 606 is right and the address is right, maybe they will figure it out. Or a machine will blink and stamp it " return to sender ". I sent the email through GW, so I didn't have a copy to look at.

I just came in from saving lavender cosmos seeds.

Mary E.

o

Thank you Mary! Looking forward to those blue tomatoes! Yours are gorgeous!! You should take some and enter them into your local fair or 4-H - I bet you would take 1st place!!

Hey Susan!

Enjoy your weekend ladies!

Jayeanne

o

It might even speed it up for all we know Erica, since a human might touch it.

Thank you Jayeanne, I admire their shiny blackness every day. Promise, I loved seeing your dog photos and everyone's wildlife shots.

Mary E.

o

Current Shipped/Received info (remember to try to get your pack mailed off no later than the 25th. That will give it time to get to your giftee before the end of the month):

Erica - Shipped
Shirley
Mary
Promise

o

Here's wishing everyone a wonderful weekend!

o

Vina-What a wonderful bridal registry box I received. Wow can't wait to try all these seeds next Spring.

Something off your registry..butterfly attracting plants and flowers.
Giant Blue Sea Holly
Daisy Exhibition
Rudbeckia 'Henri Eilers
Echinacea Paradoxa
Gaillardia 'Fiesta Daisy'
Siberian Iris'Shaker's Prayer'
Fleabane Daisy
Hibiscus "Plum Crazy'
Crazy Daisy
Cosmos 'Candy Stripe'
Dianthus 'Sberian Blues'
Hibiscus "Grenache'
Rudbeckia 'Indian Summer'
Zinnia'Polar Bear'
Partridge Pea
Yarrow"Terra Cotta'
Siberian Yarrow'Love Parade'
Butterflies galore next year I'm sure....Yipee (Thank you Vina)

Something Old - Tall Bearded Iris 'Loreley - 105 years old, registered in 1909 (Love it)

Something New - Hosta 'Komodo Dragon' newbie registered in 2004. (I had this one on my want list...now found)

Something Borrowed..Sedum 'Dragon's Blood' Yes another great sedum.

Something Blue...Something to wash away the blues...very yummy hand-made Pomegranate Soap. (How clever)

Vina-How delightful this wonderful box was. Thank you so very much for all the thought put into it.

I will be mailing my package out on Monday to Erica.

It's been such a busy week and I found out I am going to have to have foot surgery on my right foot. The first foot Doctor I went to said it was more than he normally did in his field so he referred me to another foot Doctor and he said yes he would do it. The surgery will take close to 2 hours to do and I have to stay off my foot for 6-8 weeks. I scheduled it for Oct. 7th. So much to do between now and then. I picked up daylilies that I ordered today so hope to plant them after Church tomorrow but also have two shipments coming in next month. Just trying not to stress..I know it won't help matters. Please keep me in your prayers and hope this surgery straightens my foot back to normal.

Shirley

o

Vina,

That was a lovely box you sent!

Shirley,

I'm excited to get your package, but wow! I am so sorry to hear about your foot. 6-8 weeks of being off your feet.. that's intense. I hope that everything goes smoothly and that you have a speedy recovery. I will definitely keep you in my prayers as the time approaches.

o

Updated Shipped/Received info:

Erica - Shipped
Shirley - Received
Mary
Promise

o

Morning!

Shirley, so glad you received your box :) My MIL had foot surgery last winter. She had a titanium rod put through her foot where the toe joints connect to the foot. They told her she'd be off her foot that long too. But in about 10 days she was up and not using the cane. After about 3 weeks the swelling was down and she was back to normal. :D I think they give people that wide of a recovery time because that is the longest length to have? Sending prayers your way that yours is this quick!! :D

Have a great Sunday!
vina

o

Wow. Where does all the time go? It feels like just a couple hours ago that I was wishing you all and good weekend, and now it's Mon.

As promised, it's time for a new game! I think we all really enjoyed seeing the treasures from everyone's garden, so I'm going to continue along the same lines with another picture game. This one is going to be "Best (fill in the blank)." Open to all OBF members.

Here are the rules:
1) From now until Aug 30th, I will give you a new theme each day.
2) If that is something you have, take a picture of it. Be sure your name is on a piece of paper and visible in the photo (see the last game for examples).
3) Post your picture. The best pictorial example of that theme will be awarded a point for the day.
4) On Aug 31st, I will announce the winner. Highest points wins. If there is a tie, there will be a tie-breaker question.

Here's what you're playing for:
Rosemond Cole Canna (pictured below), several orange gladiola bulbs, and a couple of surprises.

And now for Monday's theme:
** Best use of vertical space in the garden. **

o

Here is an example to get you ladies started. This is a couple of tower unites I have. Please note that my name is not in the picture, as it should be, because it is currently pitch black outside.

o

Hi everyone!
Just stopping in to say hello and catch up. Congrats on new babies, fun projects, and well wishes for feet... and anything else I've missed!

Since this is the bridal swap I thought I'd update everyone...

Mom is in town this weekend and we bought a wedding dress!!!! I'd post pictures but am afraid Mike would see it on photobucket, but if yall'd like to see stock pictures just type in "Justin Alexander 8557". We're taking out most of the heavy tulle layers underneath so it will lay a little straighter, and be a lot lighter and more flowy. I couldn't stop dancing and swooshing around the store while momma cried- its perfect! We also have a rabbi reserved, booked the location, had our first meeting with the wedding planner and my mom met Mike's mom and stepdad for the first time... we're exhausted!

I have an amazing story about my Old, New, Borrowed, Blue saved to tell later, but for now its brunch time. Love you ladies!
~ Laura

o

Laura,

It sounds like everything is falling in place for you. That's great! I did take a peak at the dress. It's very pretty. You'll have to post some of your wedding pictures when the time comes!

o

Today I sent out Mary E. her package. The tracking number is 9114999944238304541838.

o

Congrats Laura! Wishing you well on your new future and all that planning. Your dress looks lovely from the stock model and from your description.

Shirley, I will keep you in my prayers. Sorry your feet are hurting you. *hugs*

Cinnie, Congrats on the new grandbaby!

Here is my vertical strawberry garden. I know you can't tell, but this skid has crowns, seeds all over besides the lonely Bonnie strawberry. If all else fails, runners will grow all over this baby! I'm done killing strawberry plants and being unsuccessful. Hopefully over loading this skid will insure strawberries next spring.

We dismantled our vertical potato cage already. It has been mega hot and humid here. Yesterday, store windows were steamed up because of of the rain and the heat.

This post was edited by pmb2005 on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 14:42

o

Promise,

Great pic. I'd love to hear about your vertical potato cage! I'm always fascinated with anything that saves space in the garden, and I'm trying to picture how your could do potatoes vertically, but I'm not coming up with anything.

o

Erica - Shipped
Shirley - Received
Mary
Promise - Shipped

o

Our watermelons are definitely vertical! They run all the way up the existing fence that divided part of the yard into a dog run (but we dont have a dog.)
 photo IMAG0078.jpg photo IMAG0077.jpg
I also use the fence to support a mexican sunflower, a planter of tobasco peppers and some bird feeders. Here's the view standing inside the back door.
 photo 4a7b2fb7-445d-431e-a8f0-5e0124e25917.jpg

I hope a previously used picture counts, Erica? :)

o

Laura,

Your picture definitely counts. I have to admit that I was wondering if you were going to use those watermelon for this. It is a great use of vertical space and I really love how you supported the melons.

o

We are having Chicago in August weather. Major thunderstorms yesterday and today. I was in a car yesterday, blinding rain, really rattled my friend driving. And I wasn't expecting the same thing today, I got caught out in it. Like Promise said, the humidity and rain is fogging up the place. I have a ride to PO in the morning.

I like this vertical garden thing. No photos until tomorrow.

Fun to hear from a real bride. I'll be back tomorrow with the tracking number.

Mary E

o

I picked five Jalapenos! And one nasturtium bloomed. I couldn't resist eating raw some of those itty bitty half pint peas/pods that I just realized had appeared out of nowhere, while I've been admiring the blooms.

Mary E.

o

Mary,

I'm so jealous of all you people getting rain. We are in such a drought here in CA that we're on severe watering restrictions. I had to convert my whole garden to drip hoses. With regular sprinklers, I would have only been allowed to water Tues, Thurs, and Sat. That would be fine when it's not too hot, but in the middle of summer everything would have died.

Thanks for the heads-up that your picture is coming tomorrow!

o

But here is one from early spring: Best Use of Vertical Space by Cat Every Chance He Gets One of our two indoor cats flagpole sits on the birdbath post. That is the lime mulberry behind him.

o

Mary,

He's a cutie. And cats do like their vertical space! Hubby and I converted our back porch into a catio, and our youngest cat, Houdini, decided that jumping 8ft to the top was no big deal. We had to end up putting another couple feet of chicken wire around the top to stop him from being so damn vertical!

o

Behind the cat, do you see a raccoon statue in the neighbors yard? Last year I snuck two baby raccoons (from recycling) in there. She never said anything. In front of the cat, those are peonies already there, and NoID blue iris I planted last spring. Too shady for them, they have to be moved. And the squirrels won't leave those iris alone.

o

Behind the cat, do you see a raccoon statue in the neighbors yard? Last year I snuck two baby raccoons (from recycling) in there. She never said anything. In front of the cat, those are peonies already there, and NoID blue iris I planted last spring. Too shady for them, they have to be moved. And the squirrels won't leave those iris alone.

o

Mary,

Lol. You put statues in your neighbor's yard and they never said anything? Too funny.

Squirrels and irises? I have some irises that are in a shady spot, as well. They never bloom. We have tons of squirrels here. I wish ours would dig up my irises! Instead, I think they have been eating the tomatoes. Naughty squirrels!

o

Tuesdays theme:
* Best use of horizontal space in the garden. *

(I'll update Monday's winner after we get a chance to see Mary's picture).

This post was edited by EricaBraun on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 0:40

o

Erica,

I couldn't find an end result picture, but here is the start of the potato tower. You just keep adding straw and the potatoes grow upward and are reasonably clean! Like I was telling Mary, in the future, I will not cut up my seed potatoes, I will just throw the whole seed potato in the tower because it seems that would make more growth.

If you look up potato towers you can see more about how to do it.

This post was edited by pmb2005 on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 8:18

o

Is this horizontal gardening?

o

There is a bully sitting on top of the feeder today.

o

Promise,

Thanks for sharing about your potato tower. I was so curious yesterday that I ended up getting on YouTube and watching several videos about it. I have an unused garbage can here, that I'm thinking of drilling some holes in and using that. Looks like a productive idea.

As far as your use of horizontal space, those pictures are great illustrations. Are those pallets that you've converted into raised beds? it looks like you have a cross between standard gardening, where everything is laid out in rows, and square foot gardening, where you squeeze everything into a tiny space. Great set-up!

I do a standard square foot setup. It's a bit overgrown at the moment, so you can't really see the slats which divide the squares. I have to admit that yours looks as space-efficient as the standard square foot garden, if not more so.

o

Erica,

Your garden is awesome! Love the variety you've squeezed in there.

The lettuce bed is actually our old box spring. I just happen to have it so I used it. The slats were already laid out, we just filled it with mushroom compost.

Currently, Danver Half Longs, Gourmet Radish, Brussel Sprouts, Mesculen, Spicy, Romane, and a winter lettuce mixes reside in the bed.

If you go to Lowe's and ask a manager for pallets, they will give you some for free. I am very interested in DIY and pallet projects.

Square foot gardening is great. I love being able to grow my everyday salad mixes. It's healthier for me, close at hand and I don't have to buy it for $2+ a bag, wondering what they sprayed on my food.

My heart breaks a little today because I pulled out the pea fence and I'm about to mow my over grown neglected garden. Anyone want to guess how many hidden butternut squash I find? lol

Hopefully I will till it and plant more beans... but I just don't know if I have that kind of motivation today. :)

o

Here are pole beans growing up silver maple stakes, so that they end up on the big clematis. Mary E.

o

Promise,

Great way to re-purpose a box spring! And thanks for the info about Lowes. I got a few of my pallets for free, but ended up buying the 3 on my deck for $7 each (shown in the picture).

I've just started lettuce again this month. My earlier attempt in the spring was unsuccessful, so instead of starting indoors and transplanting, I'm directly seeding them into a vertical pallet in the front yard. I too would love fresh, organic lettuce that I don't have to pay an arm and a leg for.

As far as hidden squash, I'll guess 5!

o

Thanks for your vertical pic, Mary!

Looks like it's time for me to award Monday's point. It took me a bit of deliberation, but here's what I decided:

Promise's vertical pallet bed had the most potential, but was only housing one plant. Laura and Mary had similar designs - using a current garden feature as a trellis. However when trying to decide which made the best use of vertical space, I had to go with Laura (watermelon vines are much more demanding of space than beans).

So, Monday's point goes to Laura!

Current point total:
Laura - 1 pt.

o

Agree: watermelon growing up trumps pole beans which grow up regardless. Those are purple pole beans which they turn green when cooked.

I compost next to the garage the pre existing clematis loves it. I prune the silver maples and sharpen the ends. Leave them to dry, that way I have stakes all sizes for the garden. Or stabbing zombies or whatever.

The beans are a foot or so in front of the garage, with stakes in between them. I did that so they could reach forward and have an extra half hour of sun, when little and then reach backwards for the clematis like they are doing now. The photo doesn't show how big the clematis is, most of it is around the corner to the left. There is a white board in front of the beans. I put it there first to stop the lawnmower, but realized hey, it is reflecting more light to them. The biggest seedling ended up the shrimp, it is not behind the board.

I emailed Promise her tracking number. Mary E.

o

Mary,

If today's theme was "best use of garden stakes," you would for sure be the winner! Everyone needs stakes for stabbing zombies!

Using the whiteboard to reflect light, sounds like a great idea, even if it was an accidental discovery. And from the sounds of it, your beans love it.

o

Erica - Shipped
Shirley - Shipped & Received
Mary - Shipped
Promise - Shipped

This post was edited by EricaBraun on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 21:21

o

Tuesday's "best use of horizontal space in the garden" winner is Promise! Although it was uncontested, Promise really did have an excellent set-up.

Point update:
Laura - 1pt
Promise - 1pt

Wednesday's theme:
* Best pepper plant. *

o

There was no vegetable garden here last summer. In August last year, a casual friend gave me a Bhut Jolokia seedling about four inches high. He explained the long DTM and overwintering and pepper quirks. I read the Smithsonian article in the food issue, on the world's hottest pepper. I'm not a good houseplant person, I would water it if I saw the leaves drooping. Turns out that is what peppers like. In Feb, it started blooming, enchanting me.

I fell into the Hot Pepper Forum black hole, and that eventually led me to GW. Reading the germination lamentations on the Hot Pepper Forum led to my indoor seed starting adventures in April. I ended up with six pepper cultivars from three sub species, plus four tomato cultivars to plant outside. Tore out a quarter of the backyard lawn.

The first pod is red and there are many on there. A year later. I hope to get a photo up, somehow.

Mary E.

o

That was my best use of horizontal space ... tearing out the lawn, more like a third of the yard. Picked my first C baccutum yesterday, Lemon Drops.

o

(peppers)

o

(bhut jalokia)

o

(attractive corner of garden with lots of fruit)

o

Mary,

That's a great story. I too am in love with the idea of hot peppers. The two towers that I just re posted are pepper towers. Unfortunately, when I got started, I didn't realize that they need a lot of space. The terricotta colored one was overwintered inside. The other one is new. I do plan on separating them out, come winter.

As for your corner of garden, that looks great. I can see some huge green tomatoes, as well as several ripe ones on the ground. And your pepper plants look happy. Your ghost pepper looks very productive. Besides that beautiful red pod, I can see quite a few green ones. I'm having pepper envy right now. How tall did it happen to get?

o

Y'all have me beat on style hands down!

Erica, where did you find those rotating vertical pots? I'm having envy!

Mary, I knew you'd have a fantastic colored pepper and blow me out of the water. I received your emails. It's all good, I hope you get your package today and open it right away. This is my 2nd Round Robin, so I apologize if I made amateur mistakes in my packaging. Always welcome feedback.

My pepper plants are more for stock piling food for winter. I tried and tried to sow peppers early and I killed them off 3 times!!! I once had a nice selection but this is what I have now. Learned lots about stubborn peppers! I ended up putting lots of seeds in the ground and let them germinate and grow on their own, then I transplanted them into rows. They liked that.

o

My favorite Pepper and her chew toy Brewster.

o

Promise,

Great peppers!

I got those stacking, terracotta-colored pots off ebay. I saved the link, but it looks like now it just redirects to similar items: http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Nancy Janes Stacking 12 Self Watering Planter Stone&_itemId=110935721696
I've also seen some comparable ones at Walmart not too long ago.

That unit is sitting over a water reservoir bucket. It has an airstone and fountain pump in the bucket. It's hooked to a timer and pumps water up through the middle to self-water when the timer goes off. I just have to keep an eye on the bucket and fill it every now and then.

I actually have another 6 of those stacking pots that I'm planning on making another tower out of. I want to change the watering method though, to a self-watering wicking-type thing. I'm still trying to work this one out in my head though. Since the pots separate the levels, there are substantial gaps between the soil, which means that my wicking medium will have to move the water about 4ft vertically (so that it connects with each level of pots). In theory it sounds easy, however natural fibers, which would wick the water that high, rot rapidly and synthetic fibers last longer, but don't wick water all that far. It's still a work in progress!

o

Erica,

The self watering sounds like a conundrum. Is it possible to feed the wick from the top somehow? Gravity would be working with you at that point. I can't see the set up so I'm just wondering. Also, you were close to the butternut squash count. 7. And 2 lonely Delicata's but one got pureed.

Doing my gardening walk tonight I found a most welcome visitor! I had to share. This is the first one I have found. Exciting things are happening.

o

Promise,

Is that a Monarch on a milkweed?

As far as the set-up, I'm having a good giggle. I can just see it now: A bowl of water smack on the top of the tower with a wick coming out of it and running down through the separate layers. Theoretically, I have no doubt that it's possible. I'm still trying to figure out a way to water from the bottom though.

o

Erica,

A Monarch on a milkweed indeed! I planted lots of milkweed this spring after stratifying it in the fridge. Now I don't know what variety of milkweed is where. I haven't seen a monarch in this area in since early spring. Unfortunately my camera wouldn't focus on the caterpillar.

o

Promise,

I got some milkweed seeds in trade, and tried to start them without stratifying. Unfortunately I didn't have much luck. However I now have the seeds in the fridge and in a week or so, I will give them another go. I'd be happy to feed the monarchs.

o

These pictures sure give a girl garden envy- I love that!! Todays peppers are:

1 happy Tobasco plant in a 3 gallon (or maybe 5 gallon?) planter  photo f9da291a-1537-4ec7-9fd2-dd2edb4f0c3b.jpg

and a couple varieties of sweet peppers. 5 plants total (overhead view was the only way to get it to focus) in an 11 gallon rubbermaid bucket full of holes  photo IMAG0104.jpg

o

I'm home (and the laptop is home) but I'm rushing out to catch a bus to a hour long preview. Chicago Fringe Festival runs through the Sunday after Labor Day.

Yippee ... I love the stuff Promise sent. I will post the photo and talk later. Promise, yes, I was here and it wasn't in the sun, and I put those babies right in water.

Well my photographer posted those. That explains the corner shot ... I wanted him to post the long, horizontal view. Hard to get good help, you know.

Those aren't ripe tomatoes! Tell her what they are Promise! Thanks.

Mary E.

o

Laura,

Great pictures. Looks like today's theme is going to be hard to judge!

Mary,

Have fun at the festival! And if those aren't tomatoes, they must be peppers of some sort. You have me curious!

o

Hahaha, Mary you forgot the pictures again :)

o

Erica - Shipped
Mary - Shipped & Received
Promise - Shipped

o

Erica, glad youre enjoying the garden. Everything is generally droopier than I'd like, but its been WAY too muggy, buggy and busy to go lugging hoses all over the yard.

o

You ladies made it rough for me to score Wednesday's pepper plant theme. I was seriously expecting to see one of you with a monster pepper plant and the rest with scrawny ones, but as luck has it, you all had impressive plants. In the end, this one is simply too close to call, so I'm giving all three of you a point.

Updated points:
Laura - 2pts
Promise - 2pts
Mary - 1pt

Thursday's theme:
* Best herb garden. *

o

grrr ...
I tried to post after midnight, looks like I didn't hit submit.

photo 1 Those are Jalapenos, in a 10 inch bowl.
photo 2 Bhut Jolokia one year old
photo 3 wrong shot, but anyway that is the west end, and those are Sioux tomatoes and Melrose peppers. The red things on the ground are wooden balls to distract the squirrels and birds! Not ripe tomatoes!!

Hey those purple pole beans are flowering! Pretty!

Time to plant the Redhead Radishes.

I expect to post photos later. Mary E.

o

Mary,

Red wooden balls! That's ingenious! Has it worked to keep the critters at bay?

o

Herb garden!!! I have herbs everywhere around here. Unfortunately my Thyme, Dill and Cilantro have petered out for the season. I should go sow more Cilantro because it is a staple in my salsa. A generous friend dug up some mint roots for me recently, they are trying to get established. They look kinda pathetic, but I've heard mint will bounce back. Spearmint, Lemon Mint and Mint.

So this is my herb garden right now. I have cumin and espazote growing but you can't see them here.

o

Oh-My-Gosh! Mary, you have just made my year with this package! I've never received such a well decorated, thoughtful gift in my life!!!! I am really beside myself. My daughter kept asking if I was crying. I didn't even receive a gift this nice at my wedding or well... ya, ever. I'm very humbled and I can't thank you enough.

Seeds include: Purple Pole Bean
Pink Columbine
Dame's Rocket
Borage
Asclepias incarnata
Cardinal Climber
Redhead Radish

There are 3 well rooted plants, unsure of the varieties but would guess, sedum autumn joy, coleus, parsley?

There are beautiful note cards along with a "P" stamp. Rain chewing gum, mint chocolates, Mary Janes Farm magazine, droppers, Cracker Jacks, Lemon Zinger tea, butterfly and rose decorations.

Thank you so much Mary!!!

o

Promise,

Great herb garden and gift pictures! Looks like a wonderful assortment of goodies and a very happy daughter!

I have herbs scattered here and there in my front and back yard, but this is my largest consolidated area of herbs. It's a bit patchy. I haven't filled in all the squares yet, but here's what I have in the bed: english thyme, lemon thyme, orange basalm thyme, roman chamomile, blue spires rosemary, wild dagga, african blue basil, holy basil, french tarragon, mexican tarragon, echinacea, i'itoi onion, lovage, za'atar oregano, blood sorrel, hollyhock, salmon hyssop, creeping jenny, garlic chives, lemon balm, bog sage, purple volcano lyreleaf sage.

o

Erica - Shipped
Promise - Shipped & Received

o

Erica I will not be able to post photos until tomorrow. Hope that's OK. Looks like Promise has rocked herb garden. Newbie herb gardener here, I have borage, oregano, parsley, catnip, mint, mojito mint, lavender and tiny baby Genovese basil and lime basil.

o

Promise

My sentiments exactly, when I opened your package. Here is the plant ID: The main one is Verbena bonairensis. This is new to me. I love Verbena hastata and so do the native pollinators, so I had to have this relative. The other two are: Are you psychic? Because I nearly sent an Autumn Joy sedum ... it wouldn't bend to go in the box! The other two are coleus and a pink yarrow.

The Frango mints and Cracker Jack are Chicago treats, CJ was invented in Chicago. Oh, and I love the QAL , very appropriate ... longer story. Love all of it!!!! Photo tomorrow.

Mary E.

o

Mary,

That's not a problem. As long as I know it's coming, I'm fine waiting to do point updates. Thanks for the heads-up.

You might be a newbie herb gardener, but it sounds like you have a nice collection so far. Look forward to seeing it!

o

We sent each other Asclepius incarnata and Rain gum, because gardeners need Rain.

The glass eyedroppers are for sharpie tie dye. Or for rescuing bunnies, squirrels, kittens. Or for ?

Running back to volunteer chifringe.org. another show. So glad I went last night. What a day. Parade. Rally. Promise's package !!!! food pantry volunteering. Show preview. Tired in a good way.

Mary E.

o

Today's herbs are picture 1, left to right: creeping thyme 'pink chintz' (surrounding the citronella), pineapple mint, apple mint (although I'm pretty positive half of it is really chocolate mint!) and orange mint, and picture 2, planted under the tomatos are lots of chives and some lemon thyme.

photo IMAG0110.jpg
 photo IMAG0112.jpg

Yummy yummy!!!
~ Laura

o

Laura,

Great plants! That creeping thyme is particularly pretty. Love those tiny purple flowers.

o

Laura,

You have wonderful herb garden. Your mint collection is fantastic.

Erica,

Your herb garden has a nice variety of lots of stuff I've never even heard of before.

Mary,

The plants are doing well and in great shape. My daughter ate the Cracker Jacks, but I made her endure me singing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" in honor of you. I did not know Cracker Jacks were made in Chi-town. Being in this group has taught me a lot of things.

Y'all are just great people. I've really enjoyed participating. Thank you Erica for hosting.

o

I'm not sure they are made here any more, but there is still a lot of confectionery in Chicago. Downtown, sometimes if the wind is right, you can smell the Blommer chocolate factory.

Being new to herbs, it is bewildering all this pomegrante rosemary, Dutch cilantro, bacon mint etc. OK, I had chives and catnip and mint before.

Erica, you have moved up on my send out list. I never received email from you, i.e. your address. I had sent you email, do you remember getting any from me?

Mary E.

o

California Wonder pepper: I won a pack as a door prize. Out of the six pepper types I started indoors, these were the only one to struggle with germination. I had only two of these to put in the garden and I eat sweet peppers. My partner last month also had trouble germinating California Wonder. Now it seems the plants have "fooled you" type Jalapeno fruit on them. They are next to the real Jalapeno, so I have to watch it picking them ... the pods look the same, one is sweet, one is hot. In the bowl photo, you can see the stems are different ... look at the two on either end of that row. The seeds I won, were not Baker Creek or Territorial, I'd like to point out. But from a good company.

I planted the two annums together, because I wasn't concerned with saving seed from either. Good thing, huh?

o

The red wood balls ... I got that idea because some people hang red ornaments on their tomato plants. The birds and squirrels get tired of picking at them and then leave the real tomatoes alone.

It seems to be working. I find them moved around, chewed in half, buried, half buried. I put them back. I buy another twenty.

I'm protecting the peas with Russian sage scraps and those glads Sheri sent me. So I put some of that all around the garden, too.

Mary E.

o

I think we can agree there are no California Wonder peppers in that photo of a bowl of Jalapeno.

Mary

o

Mary,

I have received your emails and sent you my address twice. I'll try again. If you don't receive it, please check your spam folder to make sure it's not going there.

Interesting pepper story!

o

Sorry for the late posting on this one. I usually post before going to bed, but I forgot last night.

Friday's theme:
* Best effort, by a plant, to take over the world (or at least all your garden space). *

o

Looks like Mary was busy posting all over the round robin forums! But now that I have her herb garden picture, I can award a point for yesterday's theme: Best herb garden.

My favorite herb, individually, was Laura's flower-covered thyme. However, the overall "best herb garden" goes to Promise, based on her large quantity of healthy plants.

Updated points:
Laura - 2pts
Promise - 3pts
Mary - 1pt

There are two more chances for points, so it's still anyone's game!

o

Erica
Yipes! Should I have those reposted in the correct thread? Or will everyone notice this blunder?

Mary E.

o

Mary,

That was definitely worth a good giggle! You don't need to repost the pictures here. I'm sure people will notice them. Hell, I got all excited because I saw a post titled "Tomatoes" on the round robin forum. I was ready to sign up for that swap!

o

"You don't have junk here, hooray!"

Might I suggest receiving your email address through Promise? That way I can email you direct and send you mine. Or perhaps Promise or my Maid of Honor Sheri could email mine to you.

Mary E.

o

"You don't have junk here, hooray!"

Might I suggest receiving your email address through Promise? That way I can email you direct and send you mine. Or perhaps Promise or my Maid of Honor Sheri could email mine to you.

Mary E.

o

Here Mary,

Erica Braun
1894 Lindo St
Benicia, CA 94510

It's a real bummer that you aren't receiving any of my emails. I got a few from you, which I tried to reply to, so I know I'm getting yours ok.

Btw, did you ever receive the prize pack I sent?

o

I received my amazing bridal pack today from Shirley! I was actually working outside in the yard when my postal lady stopped by. I immediately went from planting seeds, to planting out the treasures inside the box.

Here's what I got:
1) Something off my registry: Purple Daylily 'Flutterbye'
2) Something Old: Older Daylily 'Both Sides Now'
3) Something New: Audubon tote bag
4) Something Borrowed: Pulmonaria 'Mrs Moon'
5) Something Blue: Blue Gardening Gloves
Extras: Generation X Daylily & Yellow Twain Daylily

I'm in absolute heaven! A million thank yous to Shirley!

o

Erica - Shipped & Received
Promise - Shipped & Received

COMPLETED

o

I feel like I'm spamming the hell out of our thread, but here's my last one (for now at least).

No one has posted a "best attempt to take over the world" pic for today, so I took a picture of my figleaf gourd plant. Hopefully it lead to some inspiration. I planted it in a pot outside my catio (marked "start") and it snaked through the lattice, creeped 8ft or so to the pomegranate tree, then worked its way to the very top of the tree (marked "stop"). I'm worried that soon, it will be growing on my roof!

o

Here's a close-up, so you can see it reaching for the heavens!

o

Erica,

No, the game prize hasn't found its way here yet. The zip code is only the next one north. First class mail, you would think they will solve it.

My plants are well behaved, so no photo tomorrow.

I had seen Garlic Mustard and Boneset on your want list, but they disappeared off the list. When I send the Nightshade, I will send some other things that might be interesting.

Mary E.

o

Erica,

No, the game prize hasn't found its way here yet. The zip code is only the next one north. First class mail, you would think they will solve it.

I had seen Garlic Mustard and Boneset on your want list, but they disappeared off the list. When I send the Nightshade, I will send some other things that might be interesting.

Mary E.

o

Erica,

Mary E.

o

You're a sweety, Mary! Thanks so much.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that the pack I sent makes it there, or even back here. If it doesn't show up in the next week or two, I'll send you a replacement! The PO can be unnaturally slow. One time it took them a month to notify me that they were holding a package that had been sent to me with insufficient postage. If it takes them a month to do that, I wonder how long it will take them to deal with a wrong zip!!!

o

If you have ever had friends that work for the PO, you know the management does not encourage them to solve delivery issues. They hire detail oriented problem solver types and then ruin their sanity not letting them have at it.

Mary E.

o

Lose your sanity and "go postal!"

o

A friend sent a letter to me, from Idaho, correctly addressed. It was returned to Idaho marked "unknown at this address" ... I had been there fifteen years.

o

Rofl. That's a good one, Mary!

o

Mary, thats crazy! A few months ago I started mysteriously getting catalogues and stuff for my mom. She's lived in the same house I grew up in since about 1990.. and thats 800 miles away from here.

Erica, Thats one determined plant. I'm currently on a seek and destroy mission for the following things 1) 'wild' catnip plants, 2) the mysterious vine taking over next to the pond. "Leaves of 5 can't stay alive!" and 3) queen annes lace.  photo IMAG0113.jpg

Currently all three battles are being lost simultaneously in this picture!!

o

re: red wood balls/Russian sage to protect garden

That one sentence should have read: I'm using the Russian sage scraps to protect the peas and those glads that Sheri sent me last month.

The other way sounds like I am using the glads to protect the peas. No, no, no. The birds want the peas, the squirrels want the peas and the glads and the iris.

Mary E.

o

I should probably try some of those red balls. I've had some critter (I'm thinking squirrels) munching on my lower tomatoes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here