Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
galium_gw

NEW: Sign ups Sept. 'Cutting Swap' ~Cracked Pot Gardner's~

galium
15 years ago

We are currently taking sign ups for our September "Cutting Swap". The month of September is perfect for bringing in cuttings of those prized Coleus that you babied all summer. Don't forget your Geraniums, Begonias and other easy to root annuals. Perennials such as Sedums are also easy to root.

Everyone is encouraged to share their cutting propagation tips during the month. Also feel free to ask questions I'm sure someone will have an answer. We value everyone's wisdom and experience!

We are asking for a minimum of 2 cuttings from 5 different plants. All cuttings must be insect, disease free and labeled.

If you are interested please sign up here.

Thanks,

Mariann

Comments (52)

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    well I'm in and if we get enough people I would like to
    send boxes of cuttings to 2 people if thats ok.
    my coleus have just done so well and I have quite a few other plants great for rooting.

tracy - I would be happy to root some plants for you, do you have anything that roots well?

my garden is doing great this year. I have been finding newly laid monarch eggs every day, I'm starting to worry I will not have enough milkweed. so I went to one of the local small nuseries to see if they had any left and got 8 butterfly weeds for $1 each. on the way out I saw a sign that got me into some trouble "All annuals on this table FREE" so ofcourse I had to take a look. most were usless bloomed out salvias, merigolds, and such. but as I looked along the table I saw flat after flat of dahlias, in the end I loaded up truck with 15 flats ( have I ever said I love my truck, well I do) they are just bedding dahlias but they did great this year, I planted a bunch at my in laws house, and they have done just great.

if anyone wants some 4" pots they have several flats of geraniums for free, I would be happy to go get them and clean them out and ship them for a good trade.

well thats all for now
    happy gardening
    michelle

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

I will join in on the Cutting Swap. If I can, I will get a few things rooted before they go. I have three types of coleus and those root pretty quickly. I'm sure I can send some other cuttings as well. Just have to look around for the few things that were not impacted too badly by the drought. We are getting rain about every week - 10 days now so that is a big improvement... hope it continues for awhile.
    Good idea!
    Jeanne

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Mariann and Michelle,

I am going to have to sit this one out as I have lost pretty much most of my plants and flowers due to the drought so the ones that have survived I am not able to cut for fear of losing also. I have been babying everything and SHAZAAMMM we have had rain HERE AT MY HOUSE!, for the past three days, ok so its not ALOT but hey every little bit helps eh?? Houston has a high rate percentage of rain for all week ya'll pray that it lands on the west side, more specifically at my house.

I have really been babying things and have some that I can trade.

The brug I bought is absolutely gorgeous! Its a creamy pink, no fragrance but is very prolific!

Pixie

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    my method for rooting (the easy ones at least) is the grow plugs from parks seeds, I just got the jumbo ones and I like them a lot, the spongie material keeps the cutting moist with out them sitting in water and rotting.
    this method has worked for:
    coleus
    geraniums
    mexican patunia
    hardy hibiscus
    porter weed
    passion vine
    and bagonia

sedums I just cut the stem and stick it in the ground and they seem to root themselfs just fine

rus. sage and forcithia root well by layering(pinning a stem to the ground and covering it with soil. after a few weeks to a month the stem will form roots and you can cut the stem and dig up the new plant.

I have some beautifull named mini roses if anyone can give me tips on rooting them.

if anyone has some angel or dragon wing bagonias, I would love to trade for some cuttings.

I would also like to try some a.violets if anyone has tips and cuttings.

have a great day
    michelle

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Michelle-I have both angel wing and dragon wing begonias!!! I have cuttings of my angel wing sitting in water right now.
    Mariann

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Marianne & Michelle, I have missed this so much, I definitely want in on this swap. I love to propagate everything!Thanks, Linda

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

Hi everyone, I hate to, but I will be sitting this one out. I'll be poking in to see what fabulous boxes everyone is getting though!

Have a good day,
    Karen

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Michelle, the way I propogate roses is I take a cutting, strip the lower leaves off (if there are any) and put it in a potting mix past a few of the nodes. The rose will more than likely lose its leaves but new ones will form once it strikes roots. They are very easy to prop!

I may have to change my mind about joining, I think I have enough plants to swap cuttings with, still thinking here.

Smiles,
    Pixie

• wanna_run_faster
    15 years ago

Hello Mariann and everyone else,

I'm in! What's the mailing date? Maybe I can get a headstart on rooting some things.

Thanks,
    WRF

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WRF-Hi There...Good to have you join us. Michelle will start a new CPG's thread on Sept 1st. At that time she will post partners and a deadline for mailing. You'll need to contact your partner for their address.

Karen-We're going to miss you next month. Please do stop by for a chat.

Trina-Hope you change your mind girl!!
    Mariann

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

I would love to join this galium, but I just STINK at rooting cuttings...and I don't really have anything I think I could get cuttings from.
    I only have a couple of sedums, and they are not all that big at the moment.
    Man, I wish I had more stuff.

:) Fran

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fran-You could scour your neighborhood for cuttings. I took cuttings from our local Agway last year. They had a huge pot of coleus and it was getting late in the season. I did ask and luckily the woman working knew the variety name. Anyway if you change your mind you will be very welcome to join.

I really have to hold myself back when I go to garden centers that have a lot of Sedums. My fingers are itching to take cuttings.LOL
    Mariann

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Mariann, are you suggesting that we turn into plant thieves??? LOL oh wait you asked never mind, I usually take snippings and try to remember the name so as not to look conspicuous writing things down.

Which brings me to a question, do these cuttings have to be named? I have several coleus that I don't know the names of, most of my plants (besides the ones I snip) I know the names of, I think.

what is the cut off date for letting ya know if we are in or not? If the send date isn't for a few weeks then I can start rooting some cuttings to make it easier (ie. roses, brugs, etc)

Pixie

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Trina-Variety are names fine, if you have them, if not that's fine too. I have some pretty Coleus that aren't named. I wouldn't hesitate to send them to someone. The deadline send date won't be until the end of September. Just let us know by the 25th of August if you're in or not.
    Mariann

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Ok great Mariann thanks and just go ahead and count me in on this swap. I really do love propogating and since the send date isn't until the end of Sept. that gives me time to do some good rooting too.

Smiles,
    Pixie

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I would be interested in this. Should we post a list of our "haves" and "wants"?

Thanks,
    Amy

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    amy - you can just update your trade page, your partner will check it before picking out plants for you.

pixie - thanks for the info on rooting roses I want to try some before they go dorment for the winter.

mariann - how do you root your bagonias just a leaf in water or do you recomend a stem cutting.

well timmy is off to school (reluctantly) and it is strangly quiet, evan jeremy seems subdude. but I can go down stairs and start cleaning the basement(how fun) it is raining or we would go out to work in the garden. we went out to missouri and collected many wild flower seeds iron weed, queen anns lace, horse mint, and green(lance leaf) milkweed have gone to seed sofar.

well off to the basement

michelle

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Would anyone like to do a plant trade with Sue/sguanzon??? This would be instead of a cutting trade??? Please let Michelle or myself know. Thanks.

Michelle-I propagate my Begonias from stem cuttings. Leaf cuttings need a lot more attention to detail. Sometimes I just stick them in water other times I use a sterile potting mix. I always sterilize my potting mix in the oven before using it for cuttings. My DH just loves that LOL
    Mariann

• metull
    15 years ago

I would be willing to do a plant trade with Sue if you still need someone. I have not done cuttings much so I want to learn more before I swap them with someone.

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Melanie...I'll let Sue know.
    Mariann

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

Hello everyone,
    I have updated my trade list to include the annuals that I have to trade, and a couple that I would like. However, I am willing to trade for anything on my plant list (houseplants or annuals) I have a long list of "houseplants" that I want so I would be happy to receive them in exchange for annuals too. Also, I live in MN, so my plant trading days are limited. I would love to trade with more than one partner (hope that's ok to say!). Can't wait to trade. I've been busy tonight rooting cuttings!! :-)

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

I'm going to sit this one out. I'm overextending myself lately. ;) I need a break. It seems as though lately, I've been doing nothing but watering, weeding, watering, weeding, LOL!

Deb

• esiuol
    15 years ago

Hi Everybody,
    Count me in on this one.

Michelle - I never thought of using the grow plugs. I have to try that!!

Louise

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

dieg01991, I wouldn't mind being your partner, you have some houseplants I'd like to get and I have one or a few your list you might be interested in too.

Mariann, I am considering this one more and more...I'll let you know before you do partners for sure.

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fran-I hope you decide to join us!

Louise-Glad you're in on this swap.

dieg-It's good to have you with us.

Deb-I can understand your needing a break. We'll miss you.

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Hi all,

with the rain that we have had for the past several days it makes one lazy thats forsure! I know that it will get dry quick again here so started back on the watering regime today lol. I have started some cuttings of the more difficult plants, those that tend to shock at first then go with a vengence, just to make it easier on my partner, others not so hard I will just send as cuttings.

I have a coleus with a seed pod on it, a first for me WHOOHOO! Most of my coleus' came from the Rainbow Mix seeds so they are un-named specifically but very pretty.

In sending cuttings do root cuttings count?

Pixie

• mommyto2
    15 years ago

I'm new at this round robin thing, but would love to join in if possible. I'll be updating my tradelist tomorrow morning and I already have a lot of things rooting. Please tell me what I have to do to join and where do I send the cutting/rooted plants.

Monica

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Trina-If you want to root the cuttings you are sending that's fine. I may root a few of mine too. So root away dear.LOL

Monica-To join all you had to do was post here. Welcome to Cracked Pot Gardner's. This swap is for September. Michelle/micyrey will start a new CPG thread on Sept. 1st so look for it. At that time she will post partners and that's who you will send to. You'll need to email your partner to get her/his address. If you need any help let us know.
    Mariann

• thelwig55
    15 years ago

I would like to join for September, I can send rooted cuttings or un rooted, if there is someone that is leary of trying to root can send babies rooted. I saw Tracey was leary of the rooting process, I can sent some out rooted and un rooted to play with. Propagation by cutting is my thing, have many rooted cuttings of potentillas and other flowering shrubs. Also have some of the really easy stuff. I am looking for some cuttings of own roots roses and mini roses.
    Tammy

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Hmmm looks like I am going to have to get off ma behonkis and update my trade page eh??? lol

I have started cuttings on some mini roses and also on Nancy Regan rose as well as some unnamed brugs and of course my Chocolate Mint Geranium along with some other things so I will survive (singing that to myself now with my kiddo's looking at me like Imma singing to them)

Smiles,
    Pixie

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tammy-Glad you are joining us. Tracy is sitting this month out.

Trina-I have some begonia cuttings in water. I haven't started rooting my Coleus yet. Although I do have some night blooming Jasmine that are coming along nicely. I have a Rugosa Rose 'Hansa' that I've tried propagating several times. No luck yet. I might send cuttings of that off to my partner next month. Beware the thorns!!!LOL
    Mariann

• wynative
    15 years ago

Mariann - I am going to have to sit this one out.

Marie

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

I am really on the fence with this one! I had planned to swap this month but I have killed more cuttings than I have had survive. I also do not really have anyway to keep annual cuttings alive overwinter! Summer has been brutal, better than last year but still hot and dry.

Guess I'd better sit out!

Have fun CPG, maybe I'll get in next month

Frances

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Mariann,

I have a Rugosa Rose "Red" that I have had for several years now and have sent cuttings and rooted some also but it has never ever bloomed one time for me. Its all leaves and thorns! It is in full sun so what am I doing wrong??? I KNOW its supposed to have roses on it lol.

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Trina-Are you pruning it? If so when do you prune?
    Mariann

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

No I don't prune it other than when I take clippings of it, very rarely. It is about 3'tall and 4' wide and is made up of several root branches. I ordered it a few years ago from one of the catalogs that everyone gets. I have fed it rose food occasionally to no effect. I think it just doesn't like me.

I prune all my other roses cept my scramblers in Feb. though.

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Trina-I really have no idea why your Rugosa Rose won't bloom. Suggest you post the question on the Rose Forum. Mine blooms like crazy in the spring. Then I prune it back and get sporadic blooms during the summer. We've had people here when it blooms and they always say "what is that wonderful perfume". I just point to the rose. I keep saying I'm going to collect the petals and make a cologne. Well that never happened.LOL
    Mariann

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

I have a sweet potato vine and some coleus that are getting roots and will be ready for this swap. Just thought I would mention that because unless some of our members have a greenhouse or can bring them indoors or at least into a protected area, they will not make it through the winter. So, if you particularly want those types of things, maybe you can let our hostesses know. I hate to send them to someone who cannot use them because of the upcoming weather. Other options that you can try if you cannot keep the plants in are protected area are that I sometimes can get the sweet pototo vine to regrow the following year if I keep the tuber in the garage over the winter. Of course you could gather seeds once the coleus blooms this fall and save them. I will send some hardier things, too.
    I am looking forward to this swap. July and August are usually my good months for rooting things, but I didn't do as much as usual this year because of the dry weather we had until just recently.
    Have a good weekend, everyone!
    Jeanne

• wanna_run_faster
    15 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I would love some coleus, begonias, AV's, houseplants, geraniums, etc.

I have some coleus, begonias, hoya, frosty pink brugmansia, zz plant, houseplants, etc to offer.

Thanks,
    WRF

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Michelle, here is a link to Southern Gardens regarding sharing roses.

It gives a better explanation as to how than I did. I didn't know, though, that it took that long for them to root.

Here is a link that might be useful: sharing roses

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    it looks like we have 12 people signed up for sept
    1. galium
    2. micyrey
    3. sandlapper_rose
    4. ibartoo
    5. wanna run faster
    6. pixieluvsplants
    7. dieg01991
    8. thelwig55
    9. mommyto2

1. esiuol
    2. metull--________will trade
    3. sguanzon--- plants

if there is anyone I missed or that still wants to sign-up I will be posting the partners on the 1st

thanks for the link trina i will check it out when I have time.

michelle

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Should these cuttings be rooted, or unrooted? either way, I've gotta get busy!

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Linda-Cuttings can be unrooted or rooted which ever you have. Most of mine are going to be unrooted. So, don't stress yourself out. LOL We just want this swap to be fun.
    Mariann

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Ok Mariann,
    Since you put the presure on and you said Michelle would be posting partners on Sept 1 I guess I better go ahead on jump on the wagon too.
    I'm IN, I'M IN....jot me name down lady. HEHE.

As long as it is for mixed cuttings and not just outside stuff. I have some, NOT many but some houseplants I can take a few cuttings from and a few things outside. I would just like to paired with someone who would like to receive housplants too, not just stuff that goes outside.

I am NOT that great at rooting, unless it is easy to root...BUT I am game to try anything as I have a propogation station set-up from another thread I am ready to try out, so anything I get I can try an see how well my box works ;)! Fingers crossed, everybody wish me good luck with that...LOL.

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Ok I think I can join, since some are offering rooted cuttings, I could take some provided they can be kept outside. I have plenty of cuttings I was planning to take to local swaps, but I am not going to be able to go, so perhaps someone would be interested in these, LadyBanks White, Bermuda's Kathleen, Red Trumpet Honeysuckle, Tall Sedums (probably Autumn Joy), Geranium (Ivy leaf) Red, Possibly some clematis. I really don't do annuals except in my hanging baskets outdoors, so if someone has other things maybe they would like to swap with me. If not it is ok, seed and Bulb swaps will soon be here, I can wait!

Frances
    PS HI Fran! Hope the rain was kind to you and your garden!

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fran-So happy you decided to join us. We'll all be adding tips on propagation. I'm sure you'll be able to get something to grow.LOL I'll probably do a few houseplant cuttings myself. I'm sure everyone may have a question or two.
    Mariann

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Just stopped by to wish everyone a safe and happy Labor Day weekend. It has been a busy one here. I had company and just started back to work. Unfortunately it's hot, but fall temperatures will be here soon! Fall is my favorite time of the year.
    Frances, are you talking about the plant swap in Greer? I was hoping to go but doubt I will make it. Seems like 3 more things to do popped up that same weekend and it is pretty far away for me - probably for you, too. That would have been great though to get to meet each other. Maybe another time...
    Jeanne

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Hello Jeanne!

Yes I was talking about the Greer Swap, I was really looking forward to meeting everyone (even more than the swapping part) oh well, maybe next one! It is kind of far for me too, still there will always be another one! Hope the Rain hit you too! we were all very happy here for the soaking!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Frances

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome back Frances!

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend (even though it's already Sunday). Happy Labor Day.

The sign-ups for our September Swap are finished. I can't tell you all how pleased Michelle and I are that so many of you have signed up this month.

• wanna_run_faster
    15 years ago

Hi Mariann,

I sent you an email.

Thanks,
    WRF