Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth_b_kodiak

August round of 12 month seed swap

beth_b_kodiak
17 years ago

Hope you are all hanging in there in spite of the heat. I am enjoying collecting seeds from my own plants this year. That is something that almost never happened in Alaska.

Now the heat and humidity, I don't like at all but as my Grannie used to say, " you gotta take the bitter with the better" Boy does that apply to a LOT of stuff.

Do you have a favorite saying we can share? I seem to have one for every occasion but always enjoy having more.

Don't forget your pal and please post when you receive. Heck,post any old time just so we know you are still kicking and breathing.

Comments (35)

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It looks like some of the players are missing and may need to be replaced or just tightened up.
    Here is the listing as I have it.
    Garden_witch (shannon)????? Anyone heard from her???
    Hummingbirddaisy Tina OK ????
    Plantlady Jan..... Jan D??????
    Toomanyanimals....Sharon OK, I think
    darlene87.... Darlene C..... OK
    Cassicet... Cassandra...A OK
    Veeja...CarolB...... A OK
    rudybacon....Kathy from TX.... OK, I think
    Pattygrow5... Patty from Pittsburg?????? OK???
    Number0ne_angel...Jeanette....A OK
    Kelly in Fl ... replaced Djm906 and now Kelly seems to be missing too????
    Gardenwatch..... Bonnie in MD.... Have you received????
    atravers.... Ann.....A OK
    Mellen....Mary Ellen..... A, OK
    Beth B..... me ,, and I'm still here and OK on both directions

If you have NOT received in JULY or even longer, please POST and say so. If you heard from your pal and know there are some problems but are OK with that let us know that too.
    If I do not hear from or about Shannon and Kelly in 5 days, I will need to drop them and rework the circle. I hate to do that but there is no other way to keep this working.
    BB

• gardnwatch
    17 years ago

Beth,
    My partner is Kelley and I didn't receive seeds for June or July, but that is really ok. I know she is having problems with something at home and has not been active in any of her groups she signed up for as far as I can make out from other posts.
    atravers---Ann , sent me some wonderful seeds and a very nice picture of the plants she grew from seeds I sent to her,a very heartfelt note, and that is enough for me.....really. I do appreciate my gardening friend.

Thank you Beth for taking the time to sort things out and keep this swap going. We all appreciate the time it takes for you to do that.
    Yes, Maryland is hot and humid in summer....today it was 101 in Baltimore county where I live. Hot,hot, hot.
    I'm glad I was off work today.....tomorrow is another story..

Stay cool everyone....

Bonnie

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bonnie, you have been more than kind and gracious since back in the spring. I appreciate that and I'm sure Kelly would too but we want you to have a partner who will send you seeds. It's so much more fun when things work both ways.
    Are you going to the tomatoe tasting the end of this month? It is sponsored by the mid Atlantic forum group. It's there in B'more somewhere and Trudi from Wintersowing will be there. I'm going to try hard to make it. MMMmmmmmm maters!!!!

• atravers
    17 years ago

Hi Beth.
    I'm loaded with seeds and would not mind in the least helping out with someone who has "lost" their trading partner due to things happening in their lives. There is no way I can use half of what I'm harvesting right now and I'm not trading for seeds at this time since this seed exchange has been such a great source of seeds for me. As a result I have seed coming out of my ears. So feel free to give me someone else to help tighten the circle if that makes things easier for you.
    Thanks again for all your hard work keeping us on track!
    Ann

• number_1_angel
    17 years ago

Hi Beth--I sent to Kelly last month and I tried to reach her before I sent to get some ideas--and after I sent to she if she liked what she got--I haven't heard from her since we did the reverse trade and she sent to me--Sure hope all is well with her!! Should I send to her now--or wait to see if I have a new partner??? Just let me know--We are having some storm warnings today-supposed to be 20 degrees cooler tomorrow and RAINING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Happy Day!!!
    Hope you are enjoying your summer
    ttyl
    Jeanette

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

Hi ladies -

I haven't received for a few months. I am behind on sending to Jan (is she still playing?)

Tina

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good question Tina. There is a post last month from Sharon where she sent to Darlene but none saying she recieved.
    I know Jan had computer problems but she mailed to me for another swap.
    Sharon, TMA, did you get seeds in July????(Or, June)
    Jeanette, hold off on sending to Kelly, OK?

• number_1_angel
    17 years ago

I will wait to hear from you Beth--Hope you are staying cool
    TTYL
    Jeanette

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

Hi Beth,

Yes, I did mail to Darlene, but a week after I posted the message. Maybe she just hasn't had time to post yet. I hope you liked them Darlene.

And no, I haven't received seeds from Jan for June or July. I haven't heard anything either ... I hope all is well with her!

I am so happy that the heat has broken!!! Our air conditioner was broken when we tried to turn it on in June ... then Wed hubby FINALLLY went out to look at it ... he fixed it. Hurray, but I must admit it took the horrible heat to get him out there. How did we ever survive as kids with no Air Conditioning???????

sharon

• atravers
    17 years ago

Hi everyone.

Mary Ellen, I wanted to let you know your August seeds are going out in today's mail. Should reach you by the middle of next week. Hope you enjoy them. I also hope you're getting a break from the heat. A cold front finally came through here yesterday so it's much more comfortable thank goodness. I think everyone's had enough of the heat and humidity to last them for awhile.
    Ann

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Seeds arrived from Mellen. Portulaca and gallardia from her garden. I have always liked portulaca and look foreward to seeing these grow.
    GAllardia is new to me but I see it blooming in roadside plantings here on Hwy#50. It seems to thrive on the heat and benevolent neglect that is recieves from the hwy department. That makes it sound like a perfect plant to me . Heat we got pleanty of and neglect sure seems easy. I'll get along with gallardia just fine.
    Thanks Mellen. You are a great pal.
    As of today I'm counting Jan, Kelly and Shannon out of this swap. No hard feelings, at least from me.... but we will need to close up the cidcle here. I'll send you a new address tonight if you were sending to one of these gals.
    Thanks for your patience. BB

• number_1_angel
    17 years ago

Beth--recieved my seeds and goodies today--iris seed?? thats a new one for me--can I plant them now?? Also yarrow-and painted daisy-all new for me!! Is it too late for me to plant these now?? I am iching to get them in the ground
    Thanks so much for sharing your garden with me Beth!!
    Jeanette

ps--don't forget--need my new buddies name and addy ;)

• mellen
    17 years ago

Beth, glad to hear that the seeds arrived. The pink portulaca are doubles so they look more like small roses. The fanfare Gal. has tube-shaped petals which is different than the other gal. that you may see around. BTW, we had a WONDERFUL time with our son over the long week-end. That will be our last trip there this summer. May not see him now until Thanksgiving. That will be the first long break for any of us. BooHoo. Have a great week, Mellen/Mary Ellen

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here are the changes of pals, Jeanette will send to Bonnie, Gardenwatch.
    Tina will send to Sharon, Too many animals and
    Patty will send to Tina. You should each have the new address now. If not... give a yell.
    Hope this will keep the circle rolling along.
    Jeanette, try the seeds now if you like. I'd do it indoors to be sure they don't get dried out or cooked by the hot sun. All are perennials and should start blooming next year if they are started this fall. No,I take that back the iris will take a while. I started some last year and they are still babies this year. Cute little guys but definately not ready to bloom.

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

Beth, you are going to love the Fanfare Gallardia! I hear they don't come true from seed, but I bet if you grow enough of the seed you will get one!!! I have mine in a pot next to an area where people gather ... they always notice how unusual fanfare is.

Sharon/tma

• darlene87
    17 years ago

I did post last mo., it is the last post in the July list. Today is the first day I have had time to get to this site, being super busy with helping others. Today is our 49th anniv. and we are going to take a drive all day around Mt. Rainier. It is lovely up there, and we will bring our own lunch. I will get Cassie's Aug. seeds off sometime next week. Sorry if you missed my post for July, but it is there. Guess we are getting frazzled from the heat. It has cooled down here finally.
    Darlene

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

Darlene, I'm so sorry I missed your post. Beth started the new post for August on the same day you left your message for July. I just never went back to the July posts.
    HAPPY 49TH ANNIVERSARY!

sharon

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

WOW Darlene, Congratulations 49 Years is quite something to be proud of. A picnic at MT Rainier sounds so romantic hope you have a very special day. You deserve it.
    Beth

• number_1_angel
    17 years ago

Darlene--CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Enjoy your day!!
    Jeanette

• mellen
    17 years ago

Ann, received your seeds. Another GREAT selection, too:salvia rose queen, geranium alpenglow, and ifafa lily. I googled all three of them. The salvia looks gorgeous, and I could really use something that color in my big garden. I have wayy too much lavender color. As for the geranium, you've sent me another that I don't have and will be trying to grow to add to the rest that I have. WooHoo! Now, the ifafa lily looks verrrry interesting. I can hardly wait to sow it and grow it. Having something like that in the house during the winter months sound just wonderful. Depending on what grows, maybe I can share some plants with my son. He is wanting some plants for his apartment. Again, dear Ann, you have sent some awesome seeds. Thank you soooo much! Have a blessed week-end. Mary Ellen/Mellen

• darlene87
    17 years ago

Received the card and seeds today, some saliglossia seeds and Abe Lincoln heirloom tomatoes. That is all that we grow is heirloom tomatoes, and this one we have not tried yet. So next yr. will do so. Also a lovely card with a note in it, I enjoyed the card, especially since it came from the Osteoporosis Foundation. Since I now have severe osteoporosis, it is a natural. The osteo comes from the 2 intestinal diseases I have and the meds for epilepsy. Guess what hubby gave me for our anniversary! Give up? He gave me a big hug and broke a rib on my left side. So sort of pampering that side now. Cuts down on the gardening somewhat also. Thanks Sharon for the nice card and seeds, and have a great August.
    Darlene

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh my goodness Darlene!!!
    That is a major big OUCH!
    Please take care and I hope you are feeling better soon.
    Beth B

• number_1_angel
    17 years ago

Bonnie-Gardnwatch- HI!! I am your 'new' partner and since we haven't 'met' or traded yet-thought I'd see if there are any kind of seeds you are collecting or maybe something new you'd like to try??? I have your card ready to go--but would enjoy sending things I know you'll like ;) so if you have any requests-just let me know!!
    Jeanette

• gardnwatch
    17 years ago

Jeanette.....
    Hello and thank you for the note....
    I am now just reading it..
    I really do like plants and flowers that are purple.
    I am also willing to try other colors and varieties as well.
    I'd like to try seeds from lillies, or iris, or any of those great spring growing flowers. I do enjoy hollyhocks and old-fashioned flowers. Hibiscus are beautiful.
    I'm really not picky.....and would love to be surprised.
    Thanks so much for introducing yourself to me......
    Bonnie

• rudybacon
    17 years ago

Hello everyone,

Just a note to tell my seed swap buddy that I am about to send her seeds to her. I've been waiting for the seeds on my Desert Rose plants to get ready but I have given up on them for this month. They are taking their own sweet time. This is the first time they made seeds. These plants are amazing. The flowers are just beautiful, they bloom all summer and they are tough. I lost about 30 African Violets one year to mealy bugs and they infested the Desert Rose plants too. They lost every one of their leaves and looked terrible but I kept treating them and they came back better than ever.

The world is looking up for our family. My grandson with the broken back is doing great, my husband has been sick but is getting better and we have had RAIN!!!!!!!!!

Kathy

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kathy, it is so good to hear from you! Your good news is especially welcome. There has not been much of that anywhere this summer so it is wonderful to have some to share.
    Desert rose is not a plant that I know about. Maybe sometime you can post a picture.
    Tell DH and your grandson that the Garden Webbers are still cheering for them and for you too. The women of the family share all the worries no matter which family member is having the problem. It seems that goes into the job description when you accept the title. Wife, Mother, sister, grannie or even friend.
    Hugs, BB

• number_1_angel
    17 years ago

Hey Bonnie--heads up--your pkg is ready and will go out in the morning mail!!!
    Kathy --those Desert Rose plants sound interesting--will have to google it!!
    Beth--Hope you are staying cool--or kewl--as the kids say--Jayme started 7th grade yesterday---miss the little girl that I carried on my hip BUT LOVE the young lady she's becoming!!Hard to see my babies grow up!! I planted the seeds you sent--hope they will be big enough to plant this fall so they will winter over--I have not tried this before --it's fun --and I am anxious to see if it works!!!
    TTYL
    Jeanette

• number_1_angel
    17 years ago

Bonnie-you should have had your stuff by now--please let us know if you've received it
    Thanks;)
    Jeanette

• gardnwatch
    17 years ago

Jeanette.....
    Funny....I just got the package today.
    You were certainly a very generous trader this month....
    sending three kinds of seeds, a great 2 year pocket calendar which I needed, and a beautiful botanical bookmark that was inside the large mailing package.
    The choices of seeds you sent were great..and I shall have fun extracting them from their pods.
    Thank you so much Jeanette....the hollyhocks, coneflower and cleome are some of my favorites... I love those colors together....

Bonnie

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Kathy you should have your seeds also, please post, I'm awaiting mine. hugs carol

• rudybacon
    17 years ago

Hi Carol,
    I just received your seeds. I think I know the problem, the zip code is wrong. It is 79706-8020. Part of it got left off somehow.

Pattygrow, I'm just now sending yours tomorrow, Tuesday. Hope I can be a little more prompt next month.

You can see a picture of one of the Desert Rose plants using the link below.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: webshots link for desert rose

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kathy, Thanks for posting the photo link. I really like the "Desert Rose". It would be an attractive "little tree" even if it were not blooming. I need to do some more research on that.
    The morning glories were very pretty too.
    BB

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

Too many animals, I sent your seeds out today.
    They are freshly harvested from my gardens. Hope they do great for you!
    Tina

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Got my seeds from Cassie today nice selection 5 pkgs thankyou Cassie, you are very generous. thankyou carol

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

Tina, thank you for the wonderful seeds and the bulbils!
    I tried growing the burgundy Galliandia last year, but failed at it. I'm VERY excited to have FRESH seeds to try this winter! And thank you for the 'double decker' echinacea!!!!!! I hope to get some of those to grow too!!!

I have listed on my 'trade page' the seeds I'm interested in, but any you send me will be great! Just try to stay away from yellow or orange. :o)

sharon/tma